PDA

View Full Version : EBBETT MOTORS / JIM PALMER, 1970 GTR XU-1 TORANA, 1971 GLENVALE 100 WINNER.

hoco
03-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi, my name is Kerry Horrell. I am the current owner of the ex Ebett Motors / Jim Palmer XU-1 Torana. I am currently researching the original racing scheme of this car to be able to recreate the livery (decals) that it wore when it won the the Glenvale 100. I have the Sept, 1971 Motorman magazine with the cover featuring the XU-1 & the August issue with photos & article of the race. The June/July 1971 AutoNews also has photos & article. I have good photos of both sides & front of car, but nothing of the rare. A photo on page 14 of the AutoNews magazine of a Mazda Capelia shows my car in the background of the rear but we are unable to blow this photo up clear enough to show what is on the back Spoiler. I have been in contact with Jim Palmer & he sent what photos he had.
I am hoping that any one out there can help with photos that don't already appear in the above magazines. PLEASE study other photos of that period of racing as you never know the rear end of my car might be there.
I am finding this forum very interesting eg. As a kid I used to watch Neil Doyle race his Corvette Anglia at Ruapuna & I got to know Neil in latter years through my Business. I hope to spend a lot more time looking through the threads.
I reconise a few names eg. Gary Price whom I purchased an A9X Torana off a few years ago, but more on that later.

rogered
03-27-2012, 09:29 AM
grouse

was that a 3100 or ck

hoco
03-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks, 3100 but original block expired a long time ago, as Jim explained to me, the first thing they did to the motor was to bore them out to maximum (more hp. I suppose). The third owner short blocked it as that was the most ecconomical thing at the time.
The original block was eventualy sleaved back to standard & went into a HG Belmont. I have the reistration # of that car but it was deregistered before 1995. It was short blocked with a NK block which I am told is a very rare Bathurst replacement block for the CK ??

rogered
03-27-2012, 09:54 AM
I was looking to buy an xu1 around 1985 and the dealer (paul Curin motors in greenlane) had a black XU1 which he claimed was ex Jim Palmer. Never really knew for sure. Was it you car or just car dealer rubbish?:)

Pleased to see this car survived.
you need to start a thread.
be interested to here it life story

hoco
03-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Could have been, as he raced a LJ XU-1 after the LC for a short time.

Steve Holmes
03-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Great to see you on here Kerry, welcome to The Roaring Season! Awesome car you have there, with a rich history. As Roger has said, please start a dedicated thread on this car in the General Discussion section of the forum, that way a lot more people will see it.