PDA

View Full Version : Roycroft Trophy this weekend

Oldfart
04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
The VCC Waitemata Branch event of the year is at Hampton Downs this weekend.
There will be a huge variety, a few highlights, the "Rubber Duck" Austin 7 with a history many miles long, Brooklands, Muriwai, Roycroft family etc is in the country having been brought over from Oz for the event, the McNair Riley/Moth hybrid, the famous Darracq.
Others include many Austin 7s, Bucklers, MGs by the swarm, Formula Juniors, Northland Special, etc etc. There are in excess of 70 cars entered and classic motorbikes on top of that.
Also Jazz bands, classic and vintage car displays, some trade stands.
Motor sport at its' finest, and FUN.
Blatant advertising, not really. Both Saturday and Sunday

Steve Holmes
04-11-2012, 08:07 PM
This is going to be an amazing event, and definitely one of the highlights of the NZ historic racing season.

AMCO72
04-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Fellas, this is an event not to be missed. Went last year, and vowed I would come this year with a car. That hasn't happened, but will be going to watch all the slipping, sliding, and drifting that is missing from racing today. The whole atmosphere of the meeting is quite different to what is normal for today. For one thing, the cars SOUND completely different. The weather is going to be good, both days, according to the forecast. So grab your camera and go. Last year I went both days, but I have to say, that a few of the poor old girls expired on the saturday, so weren't running on sunday, which had a bonus in that you could talk shop with the owners/mechanics while they were fixing. And when did you last hear an AJS 7R, or a Velocette, or a Triumph 750, being ridden hard? Ah, the good old days!!!!!!!

Kiwiboss
04-12-2012, 01:07 AM
I'll wander along saturday for a look Gerald, see how organised these VCC boys are!!! the forcast is looking great so to avoid the queue's i guess i better get along early, LOL

See you all Sat

Dale Mathers

AMCO72
04-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Dale, with the RELATIVELY small entry compared to the festival, the organisation is of course a bit easier, and the whole meeting is much more relaxed.....not so many 'pumped-up' drivers.[and no bloody E30 BMW's] The only thing that gets me at 'our' meeting is the piss-poor pit advice from the sound system. To make matters worse, I am 1/2 deaf, so have to rely on a runner to keep me up to speed. Will be very interesting to see if there IS a queue to get in. No trouble last year, but the word has got around.

rf84
04-12-2012, 03:12 AM
I attended the Roycroft meeting last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. What appealed was the big variety of cars of all ages. Seeing the Ralph Watson rotary aircraft engine running was another "stand out" memory. I vowed to compete this year. So why have the organisers this year limited entries to cars built before 1960?
Apart from the 'Rubber Duck' Austin (which I haven' seen racing since the Ardmore Reunion) there seems to be pretty much the same entry as last year except smaller numbers and less variety (no post 1960 cars).
Personally I can't see any good reason to make a 5 hour trip to see less of the same this year.

RogerH
04-12-2012, 04:06 AM
So why have the organisers this year limited entries to cars built before 1960?

I think it may be something to do with keeping the event away from the MSNZ red tape. The VCC cuts off at 1960 (cars built before 31 December 1960 or later cars that are the same model of a car first built before 31 December 1960) - post 1960 falls in MSNZ's camp.The Roycroft meeting is run under the VCC. From the entries so far it looks as though it will be the largest grid of front engined Formula Juniors seen here.

bob homewood
04-12-2012, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE=AMCO72;12292]Fellas, this is an event not to be missed. Went last year, and vowed I would come this year with a car. That hasn't happened, but will be going to watch all the slipping, sliding, and drifting that is missing from racing today

Gerald ,Got agree with that ,yes I will to be there on Saturday at least ,like yourself I would love to be there with a car ,I got to admit I have been looking ,but I want something different ,it will come along,just letting you know my interest is still there ,see you around the traps on the week end

Oldfart
04-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Actually rf there are more cars, not fewer, the variety MAY have reduced , but in my personal opinion a field of historic Formula Fords look pretty much the same.
Not really the organisers as such that have set the date, it's the circuit who are the promoters and it was their wish for the VCC date.
The missing grids are historic sports and historic FF.
There are many cars you would not have previously seen, and a few from last year which won't be there. As per my first paragraph, numerically more. Please be positive.

rf84
04-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Sorry if I sounded negative about the meeting. It certainly wasn't intended to be. I was merely trying to make the point that for someone like myself to spend $500 or more (travel and accommodation) and 10 hours driving, a meeting has to hold the prospect of being quite outstanding. Sorry to say, the thought of a lot of pre-60 cars just didn't hold a lot of excitement.
Maybe I am symptomatic of what is wrong with NZ motorsport (and perhaps, modern society in general). Unless something is perceived to be bigger, better, more exciting it does not excite us.
I attended this meeting last year as an official. I stayed in an apartment at the track with a number of officials and organisers from the Waitemata Branch of the VCC. We had a number of good social events, the highlight being the Saturday night at Ron's old "local", the Rangiriri Tavern.
It was a very memorable weekend and I count myself very fortunate to have been part of it.
I guess it was too good. For me, that "buzz" could probably never be repeated. So I want something more "whizz bang" next time.
And that is exactly the problem faced by anyone organising anything in this day and age.

AMCO72
04-14-2012, 05:41 AM
OK, here it is, hot off the press. Have just arrived back home after spending the day at HD taking in the sites and sounds of the Roycroft trophy meeting. As the name suggests there were a few of Rons old warhorses there; Terry in his Fathers Bugatti, and the Marlborough/Thomas special, which doesn't seem to have 'progressed' since last year; however the one that took my eye was the RJR, and this is the car I would have taken home if I was able. It is slowly being rebuilt, all the chassis done, and the Jaguar engine, that used to power the Bugatti when Ron raced it, is sitting in place looking very 'original' That is one mean looking machine, but I suspect the chassis may not be up to Jaguars HP. In the late sixties on one of my visits to Rons collection, when I was looking at an SS1 that he had, I could have bought the RJR for some ridiculous figure like $400, but to my eye then it was just a heap of junk. The guy that owns it now seems to be making a nice job, and will keep the Jaguar engine in rather than the original. Knowing Ron it probably had a Chev 6 in it at some stage. Moving on...... all the cars were parked on the skid-pan which made for easy walking, and fixing, should that have been necessary, and with over 70 entries was a marvelous sight. Some machines I had not seen last year, and although there were one or two breakdowns, these seem to get repaired and were running again later. As I mentioned in a previous post it is the SOUND of these old motors that really is the essence of this meeting, and listening to a straight 8 Alfa Romeo coming up the front straight was incredible. Keeping it company was an aero-engined Riley, Tiger-Moth I believe, which didnt sound as good as the Alfa, but certainly gave it a run for its money. Lap times were not spectacular, but that didn't matter, the two little Bucklers showing the way in that department. Met up with some old mates, Jim was there of course, and I had some good chats to Dale covering most of what we have been talking about on the RS. A big parade of cars took to the track at the lunch break, and as I had taken my old MG 1300 up I got a spot in the parade, and also did my good deed for the day taking Trevor, an old 90 year old, for a 3 lap 'burn'!!!!! I thought he might have been a famous racing driver, but no, and his 'helpers' were very appreciative of the gesture......my pleasure Trevor. The 'crowd' today was fairly small, the weather was fine sunny and warm, and a great day was had by all who attended. So there you go, if you are wondering whether to go tomorrow, GO.

rf84
04-14-2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks for that.
I'm glad to hear it went well.It is a good meeting and deserves to succeed and grow.

nigel watts
04-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Yep, I'm planning to be there tomorrow - really looking forward to it.

Kiwiboss
04-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Yes, i agree with Gerald, GO GO GO not to be missed!! tomorrow's(Sunday) looking to be great, although it couldn't have got much better today. This VCC thing isn't me BUT!! i had to go along for a look and i "really" enjoyed myself, i don't know all the makes and models as Gerald does that he mentions above(generation gap) but i can sure appreciate the history with all this and certainly lots of great NZ history amongst all those VCC cars, and boy that straight 8 Alfa sure sounded great and could smoke the wheels of turn 5, yeehar!! most of all i enjoyed catching up with a few blokes as it was all quite leisurely, Neil Tolich, Mike Sexton, Terry Rush, Gerald, Tony, Chris, Jim and a bunch of others, the inside vendor stalls where great to wonder thought and chat, even made a purchase and the 20's/30's style band playing outside just topped it all off, just fantastic!! and to finish the day of Tony took me a few hot laps in his non VCC legal Allard(wasn't allowed to enter as it has post 1960 parts fitted, rules are the rules, LOL). What a day!!

Dale Mathers

David McKinney
04-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Several cars carried this name at various times

I think I know which one you mean, but would love to see a photo if someone has one

GeebeeNZ
04-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Gerald and Dale, Thanks for your positive comments about The Roycroft Trophy meeting. As a Waitemata VCC committee member we are quite proud of what a small club has achieved.I had the embarrasment of having my early Buckler "The Blue Brick" being towed in twice behind the classic Ford V8 tow truck. In both races the rotor arm had shorted out. Having destroyed two rotors I managed to finish the next two races with the rotor and cap out of Old Farts Ford ten special while he went to Rangiriri to have a cracked sump welded. Sorry I didnt get to meet you guys but I did get a chance to have a chat with Jim Short.
Graeme Banks

jim short
04-15-2012, 04:28 AM
Gerald and Dale, Thanks for your positive comments about The Roycroft Trophy meeting. As a Waitemata VCC committee member we are quite proud of what a small club has achieved.I had the embarrasment of having my early Buckler "The Blue Brick" being towed in twice behind the classic Ford V8 tow truck. In both races the rotor arm had shorted out. Having destroyed two rotors I managed to finish the next two races with the rotor and cap out of Old Farts Ford ten special while he went to Rangiriri to have a cracked sump welded. Sorry I didnt get to meet you guys but I did get a chance to have a chat with Jim Short.
Graeme Banks

Hey what gives everone been nice , I may have to change my attitude, one and a half days at HD .its years since I have seen so many real cars .hell I even invited myself into a 1934 Austin 7two seater open car for about ten laps ?? an English gent has owned it 49yrs the last 9 in NZ,over 50yrs, since I was in one of these, man they are real strong little cars .Then Daves prodigey Peter arrived in his ex Auto Restoration Alfa Monza the sound and sight of this car simila to Giddings one .and when you have know idea that we have one in NZ what a wonderfull moment and did he drive well ? on the limit I would think and chased by an absulute work of art the areo powerd Riley ,I was about to coment to a stranger beside me look at the oil its burning when my brain woke up thats wheelspin halfway along the straight!!1.Really words dont describe these two cars.When did you last see a Bugatti parked out side beside a Hispanza?? not to mention the jazz band plus all the old Grannies in period dress! plus a bonus for me Graeme finding a way for my Spyder to take part next yr. with the C Type Jags .what more can a man say??

bob homewood
04-15-2012, 04:58 AM
Graeme Banks

Yes Thanks Graeme I had a great couple of days ,caught up with a lot of folks I have not seen for a while and kept myself busy,so sorry I didn't catch up with you which was a pity because I might have been able to help with the rotor ,I actually took some down with me that don't burn out,and I guess by next year I will have to find something to race so I am on the other side of the fence

AMCO72
04-15-2012, 05:11 AM
Jim,this guy must have been on the rum too. They wouldn't even let big bad Tony, the OWNER of the track for Gods sake, compete because the Allard had a 1964 split-pin in it somewhere!!!! And it really looked the part. Hey, after yesterdays blast in the past, today I went to display of serious Horse-Power. Forget your smoking tyres and smell of Avgas, this was farting horses and dust. Yes, the NZ ploughing championships held just outside Cambridge. I have never seen such a line up of vintage machinery, lots of demonstrations, and lots of broken-down old farmers remembering when they last drove an old Farmall M. A bit like lots of old broken-down car enthusiasts remembering when they last drove an Austin 7!!!!! The demonstration of 2, 4, and 6 horse teams pulling ploughs was spell-binding. Man those old 'cockies' must have been fit. The serious side was the NZ Championship with competitors from all over NZ.......AND a good crowd of all ages to appreciate all the hard work. As I was wandering around I was thinking about the Roycroft meeting and the type of person it attracted. Didnt see many kids there, our future race-car drivers, and I thought about Dales comment that this VCC stuff didn't really 'do it' for him, and yet he thoroughly enjoyed himself. Well everytime I saw him he had a grin on his face. The blast round the track in the Allard must have been the icing on the cake. Don't hold your breath, I think we may see Dale in a hotted up Rolls-Canardly competing next year!!!!!!! Now to David McKinney's question about the RJR. David, I was only aware of one, but I'm sure you are right in saying that were several over the years. This started life as someone elses special, can't remember who, Jim may remember. Had a Chev 6 in it at some stage, now the Jaguar engine from the Bugatti. Quite a tiny car, which the Jaguar engine seems to overwhelm; Knock-off Jaguar wire wheels, a round, blue painted tank on the back, and the front resembles a wide Bugatti type radiator surround, a bit like the BSA special, and to top it off a very greasy, aluminium padded, original looking bucket seat. Sorry I haven't got a photo, but someone may have. I know that Jim wants this car too, but I'm sorry Jim, you are just going to have to stand in line....behind me. I might be generous, and be like Dave and give you a drive!!!!
By the way.....a Rolls-Canardly........Rolls down one side of the hill, and can 'ardly get up the other!!

Powder
04-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Several cars carried this name at various times

I think I know which one you mean, but would love to see a photo if someone has one

I couldn't make it to this year's event but here's a couple of photos from last year.

Malcolm.

Greg Stokes
04-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Was funny to go to the Classic Racing at Hampton Downs today with the '32 and get directed to the "modern vehicle" parking. So went and parked where we were directed and noticed a few other hot rods in the "modern vehicle" parking. Those damn hot rodders haha! Some neat old cars and bikes racing though!

AMCO72
04-15-2012, 07:01 AM
There you go David....the RJR...last year. All the suspension on now, jag engine in a trial fit, and sitting on it's wheels.

AMCO72
04-15-2012, 07:09 AM
By the way, it has got a very strange rear-axle/suspension. Had to study it for some minutes to decide how it worked. Every bar seemed to be working against every other bar, with half-shafts from the fixed diff. Never seen it before. Bodywork to come but under -tray in place.

Kiwiboss
04-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Gerald, I did genuinely enjoy my day at VCC yesterday and your knowledge of some of the vehicles i found most interesting, offcourse as a teenager in the early/mid 70's my memory is of the big banger saloons at Baypark, hence my fondness these days of "Saloons" particularly American Muscle so its more about that generation gap and our own personal memory's of good times, and when i say "its not me" i can say that about most other forms of Motorsport too, mostly the "Modern" forms, one visit to the V8 Supercars at Hamilton was enough for me and wont be going this weekend either, whereas i will make a point of going to VCC again next year, relaxing and enjoyable, i guess for each individual its where one finds the "most" enjoyment, and i enjoyed it.

As for entering VCC, Hmmm lets see, Hotted up Rolls-Canardly? nar wheres that rule book, Hmmm how can i manipulate the rules to give me that unfair advantage? I KNOW!! i'll join VCC and change its direction so i can race what i want, yeah thats the one, look out!! LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL.

Dale Mathers

Greg Stokes
04-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Gerald, I did genuinely enjoy my day at VCC yesterday and your knowledge of some of the vehicles i found most interesting, offcourse as a teenager in the early/mid 70's my memory is of the big banger saloons at Baypark, hence my fondness these days of "Saloons" particularly American Muscle so its more about that generation gap and our own personal memory's of good times, and when i say "its not me" i can say that about most other forms of Motorsport too, mostly the "Modern" forms, one visit to the V8 Supercars at Hamilton was enough for me and wont be going this weekend either, whereas i will make a point of going to VCC again next year, relaxing and enjoyable, i guess for each individual its where one finds the "most" enjoyment, and i enjoyed it.

As for entering VCC, Hmmm lets see, Hotted up Rolls-Canardly? nar wheres that rule book, Hmmm how can i manipulate the rules to give me that unfair advantage? I KNOW!! i'll join VCC and change its direction so i can race what i want, yeah thats the one, look out!! LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL.

Dale Mathers

I find myself going to the NZ Festival of Motor racing, the Leadfoot Festival and now the Roycroft Trophy this weekend and really want to build an early style hot rod for classic motor racing. Sure we have the Morrari project but a neat little Model T or Model A roadster also appeals. Then I watch the Muscle Cars run and want one of those too.
As for the modern stuff, Supercars are like watching taxis race. I heard they dont want Muscle cars, F5000s etc as supporting races as they dont want to shift the focus of the spectator!

David McKinney
04-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the RJR explanation (and photos) chaps

This'll be the car that started life in 1954 as the SH Special, with one of Hec Green's RA engines. Roycroft ran it briefly with a Chev 6 in the later '50s before swapping it for the Jag engine. Last rear-suspension mod I heard of was the fitting of a transverse-leaf set-up

I'm not sure if any of Roycroft's speedway midgets were called RJR Specials, but the one he converted for hillclimbing around 1948 (Ford B4) was, and of course the Bugatti-Jaguar was frequently entered as the RJR Special. I have a feeling that at least one of his later creations, long after he'd retired from front-line racing, was also called an RJR

Oldfart
04-15-2012, 07:59 PM
What a disapointment that none of the names here, who have posted that they went along came and introduced themselves to some of us taking part.
I would have loved to have met you guys, and in all honesty the prospect of that was the major inspiration to continue to get the car down there when the proverbial was hitting the fan in the middle of last week.
Much discussion was had on the vintage saloon concept. Keep your eyes open

Oldfart
04-15-2012, 08:06 PM
By the way, it has got a very strange rear-axle/suspension. Had to study it for some minutes to decide how it worked. Every bar seemed to be working against every other bar, with half-shafts from the fixed diff. Never seen it before. Bodywork to come but under -tray in place.

If you think the suspension is strange now, you should have seen how it was before Peter Benbrook started to do the minor changes to improve it, but keeping "true to the spirit'. It used to TOTALLY bind under very little travel.
How about the RA that was on display? A superb resto of the Hec Green car being undertaken by Richard Anderson.

jim short
04-15-2012, 08:19 PM
I am sorry but its rather hard to meet someone who you dont know there name!!

AMCO72
04-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Oldfart, no excuses I'm afraid. I didn't have a programme, so wasn't sure who belonged to who, and whenever I strolled past the Ford 10 camp, everyone seemed to be engrossed in something in the engine bay. Being of a very shy and retiring nature, I was unwilling to butt-in and disturb the train of thought. And I still do not know which car was yours! When I took old 90 year-old Trevor for a few 'hot-laps' during the lunch break in the MG 1300, I was just wishing that it was an eligible vehicle for the VCC race; sort of like a super-sized Mini. As for Greg in the 32 being directed to the 'Modern' car parking, what a hoot. The two guys that were stopping 'moderns' from parking in the display area on saturday, were of an age that should have known better. I managed to sneak up by leaving the seal and crossing the stones. I did see them gesticulating wildly but I kept going, and wasn't challenged. Being the Hot Rod guru that you are I can imagine you constructing a neat Model T racer, with about as much bodywork as a chassis racer. As you know there are a lot of 'performance' options for a T, and with wire-wheels would really look the part, and wouldn't be the slowest off the blocks. First find your T. And talking of performance, couldn't the 'Rubber Duck' go. At one stage I saw him get past the V12 Lagonda..... cheeky devil!

Oldfart
04-15-2012, 08:38 PM
I am sorry but its rather hard to meet someone who you dont know there name!!

Fair enough, but I did say I had a Ford 10 special with a hideously ugly roll bar, and there was only 1 that fit that description! Of course Gerald the Ford 10 brigade had their heads under the bonnets! FORD = Fix (or other words) On Race Day. Mine developed a tiny hairline crack in the sump so I got flagged and did not manage to get an effective repair done. Very frustrating to see the other cars out there, most with oil drips under them in the "pits".

nigel watts
04-15-2012, 09:03 PM
What a disapointment that none of the names here, who have posted that they went along came and introduced themselves to some of us taking part.
I would have loved to have met you guys, and in all honesty the prospect of that was the major inspiration to continue to get the car down there when the proverbial was hitting the fan in the middle of last week.
Much discussion was had on the vintage saloon concept. Keep your eyes open

I went to the Buckler camp to enquire after you but was told that your Ford had a problem and was back on the trailer so didn't really know where to go from there. Feeble excuse I know, but I did try.
Next year

AMCO72
04-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Oldfart, I could have walked along the lines of cars asking people....'are you an old fart'. I would probably have got my arse kicked. Now don't tell me you are the owner of an incredibly ugly pale blue Ford 10 that was for sale? My friend 'beowulf' got all interested in it, but I said to him that if he bought it, it would be the end of a beautiful friendship!!!!! Getting back to the 'RubberDuck'......could someone tell me how Mr G.C.Smith got INTO that incredibly tight cockpit. He was a BIG man, and the ballectic contorsions necessary to get in would have been something to behold.

nigel watts
04-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Oldfart, I could have walked along the lines of cars asking people....'are you an old fart'. I would probably have got my arse kicked.

haha - the thought occured to me as well

I'm supposed to be painting the lounge but 'er indoors is looking the other way so here's a quick taste

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_7798.jpg

Oldfart
04-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes, that's the one!
Beowulf could do wonderful things with it, have I got a deal for you!

jim short
04-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Yes not my dream car but would like to know all about it

woody
04-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Maybe "the roaring season" t-shirts may have helped with introductions.

AMCO72
04-16-2012, 12:12 AM
They would undoubtably have helped IF we had bought one. But a bloody old skin-flint like me, didn't. But is an excellent idea. Could have stuck my VCC badge on as well, but you have to get up close and personal to read it, but at least you would spot it as a VCC member and go from there. But good thinking woody!

jim short
04-16-2012, 02:48 AM
May be if we had stood close enough we could have guessed?/ and by the way all these coments about that old lady driving the 1906car she is not that old 60 actually and she had it sideways at least once,I dont mean coments on here but some said 80yrs. at the hillclimb she was 70 some other meet a very brave lady and talentet?!

Steve Holmes
04-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Can we have some more pics please?

AMCO72
04-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Yes Oldfart, as Jim says, not the car I would have chosen to take home, but would like to know a bit about it, and as you didn't get much track time maybe you could tell us a little bit about it. Outstanding features were of course the cut down Ford Pop front, the faded French blue paint-job, and the rustiest motor in the pits. To convince a potential buyer you are going to have to do some sharp talking. And talking of ugly roll-bars, yours was one of the very few on the day. Safety thread please note.

Greg Stokes
04-16-2012, 03:09 AM
As for Greg in the 32 being directed to the 'Modern' car parking, what a hoot. The two guys that were stopping 'moderns' from parking in the display area on saturday, were of an age that should have known better. I managed to sneak up by leaving the seal and crossing the stones. I did see them gesticulating wildly but I kept going, and wasn't challenged. Being the Hot Rod guru that you are I can imagine you constructing a neat Model T racer, with about as much bodywork as a chassis racer. As you know there are a lot of 'performance' options for a T, and with wire-wheels would really look the part, and wouldn't be the slowest off the blocks. First find your T. And talking of performance, couldn't the 'Rubber Duck' go. At one stage I saw him get past the V12 Lagonda..... cheeky devil!

Have you seen the Duffy Livingstone Elminator which was a steel bodied 23-25 T bucket roadster that went road racing in the same era of the El Caballo in the fifties. http://www.streetrodderweb.com/milestones/0402sr_eliminator/photo_10.html

I can picture something like this but with a hot rodded Model A engine in it.

Oldfart
04-16-2012, 05:16 AM
Yes not my dream car but would like to know all about it

OK, here we go..
It was actually assembled in Canterbury over the last few years, and I bought it so I would have a car for last years' event because the special I was building at the time would not have been ready. It was built as a multi purpose car, Balcairn Trial, mudplugs, speed events etc. Could readily be road registered, lights etc supplied as would mudguards. Then a few days before the event I discovered no rear brakes. This year it was given no preparation until I realised I had run out of time to complete my Buckler, so I pulled it out of the wood shed (seriously) and hence the valid comment relating to SURFACE rust around the plug cavities.
All repaired now of course.
It is a short wheelbase 1938 chassis, E93A front and rear axles, all totally refurbished, bearings, brake linings, shocks, steering box etc. Gearbox rebuilt by Rick larcombe is E93A with bearings, seals, etc etc. Engine is a refurbished 100E, dead stock, so heaps of potential.
The diff is currently E93A, but there is a new 100e crownwheel and pinion to go with it and raise the ratio for a bit more top end.
2 sets of wheels, 16 and 15" with near new 165/15s.
Reason for retirement was a tiny hairline crack in a weld on the steel sump. This did not show at Taupo December meeting! We failed to repair it in situ on Saturday night. It has a new wiring harness with all the lights, horn etc wiring in place.
Buyers queue up please! Laptimes are around the same as the 3rd or 4th fastest Austin 7s even with the totally standard intake and exhaust. Another manifold with twin SUs and extractor go with the car, I suspect they would be worth a few seconds, as would the diff change.

Oldfart
04-16-2012, 05:17 AM
Maybe "the roaring season" t-shirts may have helped with introductions.

Shame the site crashed when these were on the list for Xmas presents!

GeebeeNZ
04-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Well guys I did wear my Roaring Season Tee Shirt between races and although I got great comments from Jan Mclaren and Tony Roberts didnt get to meet any of you other than Gentleman Jim Short.Even got a comment from one of my mates wife to say the Mclarens round the midrif seemed more stretched than the one round the chest. My highlight of the weekend was winning the pre 1960 handicap race although it had to be stopped 1 lap short due to an oil spill. The Elva head 100E Ford motor in my early Buckler was behaving well on sunday after we got saturdays rotor arm problems sorted.
Graeme Banks

Rod Grimwood
04-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Got some photos, will post soon.
It was neat to walk around and look at the history on display. And even better to watch them HOUND around the track. Love some of the angles the drivers get at, more like yacthing, stacking out.
I was the one who said pointing at the oil under one of the little cars "it is Engish". Thought i better keep moving.

Oldfart
04-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Hell Rod you should know about Fords at least!
Question for those with knowledge of pushrod Fords.
Can a 1340 crank be fitted into a 105e (997) block

GeebeeNZ
04-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Just to follow up on Oldfarts question to solve a 1960 dating issue is there any difference between a block stamped 105e and one with 109e cast in it as although 109e was the code for 1340cc I believe there were 105e 997cc anglias fitted with the 109e block. This may sound off topic but it could determine wether a certain car runs at next years Roycroft event.

bob homewood
04-16-2012, 09:11 AM
I actually have a genuine Ford Parts books with dates in it ,so when I get a minute I will find it and look it up ,my memory is the 109E designation came along later about the same time as the 105e engine changed from the hollow crank ,but I can stand to be corrected ,I think also the cam part number changed at the same time although the profile is the same

rf84
04-16-2012, 09:37 AM
According to "Wikipedia" the 109E motor first appeared in the 1961 Consul 315. If this is the case it would not be eligible for the Roycroft event as it is post 1960.
I seem to remember the 109E motor had the same hollow crank as the earlier 997 105E motor. I could be wrong here.These were not amenable to high states of tune. The 1340cc 109E motor was one of the few Ford motors that were rarely modified so they must have some inherent problems.

bob homewood
04-16-2012, 09:52 AM
According to "Wikipedia" the 109E motor first appeared in the 1961 Consul 315. If this is the case it would not be eligible for the Roycroft event as it is post 1960.
I seem to remember the 109E motor had the same hollow crank as the earlier 997 105E motor. I could be wrong here.These were not amenable to high states of tune. The 1340cc 109E motor was one of the few Ford motors that were rarely modified so they must have some inherent problems.

That sounds like how I think it is ,but I can check ,1340 crank was weak and also the rod angle was I believe wrong ,they didn't like being revved they went bang I know ! but having said that I had a 1475 with steel crank and rods and never had a problem with it ,way back it was quicker than the bigger 5 bearing block I used the same head and cam with around Pukekohe

conrod
04-16-2012, 11:53 AM
pretty sure my first Mk1 Cortina (1962 1200 deluxe) had 109e cast into the block. Of course this was also a 3 bearing crank.

Grant Ellwood
04-16-2012, 08:56 PM

The 123E/1198cc engine is better than the 1340 for tuning, was fitted to the Anglia Super and was often bored out to 1298cc in the Allcomer days. The stroke is the same as the 997 so has better rod angles than the 1340 as Bob mentioned and not as much crank whip. The north American Anglia only came with the 1198, guess Ford thought the smaller engine would turn inside out on the freeways... My car is an 1198/106E, the designation for the LHD model and had been sitting in a barn (yep) for 40 years, then 6 months outside.
Cheers, Grant Ellwood

Oldfart
04-16-2012, 11:51 PM

I would hesitate to use Wiki as an authority on pretty much anything. Good guidelines but for "testy" stuff I think it perhaps a little unsubstantiated. "My" old Buckler, the one which Mark Garmey now has, and it's beautiful, had a 1340 block with the steel crank, and purported to have Cosworth 85mm pistons and went very well.
We still don't know, can this carank go in a 105e block, are there other differences with the 109E, bore spacings, or bearings sizes, or??

Grant Ellwood
04-17-2012, 01:21 AM
I would hesitate to use Wiki as an authority on pretty much anything. Good guidelines but for "testy" stuff I think it perhaps a little unsubstantiated. "My" old Buckler, the one which Mark Garmey now has, and it's beautiful, had a 1340 block with the steel crank, and purported to have Cosworth 85mm pistons and went very well.
We still don't know, can this carank go in a 105e block, are there other differences with the 109E, bore spacings, or bearings sizes, or??
The 1340 has such a long stroke it puts too much side stress on the cylinder walls, go for the 1200 crank I mentioned in the previous post. But stick with the 85m pistons, I used used (pardon the repetition) 85mm pistons from Bryan Faloons/Atkins bros in my old club car, revved out to 8500 with the hollow 1200 crank but I made sure the balancing was spot on (hope this helps).

Oldfart
04-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Thanks Amerikiwi but this is not the issue, about what is good, the issue is a dating one. Can a 1340 crank fit a 997 block. It is NOT a question of whether its a good idea, it is "can it be done".

RogerH
04-17-2012, 05:33 AM
Thanks Amerikiwi but this is not the issue, about what is good, the issue is a dating one. Can a 1340 crank fit a 997 block. It is NOT a question of whether its a good idea, it is "can it be done".

Isn't the issue one of the 1960 cutoff date? If so, the question is whether a 1340 crank was around in 1960. I thought the only pre-crossflow Kent engines pre 1960 were the 105E 997cc and 1198cc versions - the 1340cc came later.
The 109E block, for example, is allowed in Formula Junior racing to replace a 105E block but the resultant engine must not exceed the period allowable capacity of either 1000cc (360kg all up) or 1100cc (400kg all up).
On this basis, perhaps a 109E block would be OK but not if it resulted in an engine capacity over 1198cc?

bob homewood
04-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Well this is what the parts book says for 1959/60 for the 105E Anglia
Part no 105E - 6010 Block (Cylinder) assy
If anyone wants the page from the parts book ,email me

The 109E block came about from what I found out today when the 315 came out in 1961,Ford then appeared to have super seeded the 105E block with the one designated 109E,from studying various sources ,I believe therefore the 109E block is a 1961 block

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 08:20 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_2651.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_2657.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_2673.jpg

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 08:23 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_2675.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_2680.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6403.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6404.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6406.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6418.jpg

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 08:26 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6415.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6421.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6438.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6443.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6444.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6445.jpg

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 08:28 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6446.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6449.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6447.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6452.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6453.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6454.jpg

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 08:30 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6455.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6456.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6457.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6458.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6462.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6463.jpg

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 08:32 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6466.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6470.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6473.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6483.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6484.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6489.jpg

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 08:34 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6503.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6505.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6507.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6508.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6509.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6512.jpg

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 08:37 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6513.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6514.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6516.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6519.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6522.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6525.jpg

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 08:40 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6526.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6528.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6530.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6533.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6540.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6536.jpg

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 08:42 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6544.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6546.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6550.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6552.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6554.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6555.jpg

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 08:44 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6561.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6565.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6576.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6596.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6597.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6602.jpg

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 08:45 PM
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6603.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6605.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6608.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6611.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6610.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/21spooky/Roycroft%20Trophy/IMG_6609.jpg

Greg Stokes
04-18-2012, 09:51 PM
That straight 8 powered Alfa of Peter Sundberg's is an awesome car!

AMCO72
04-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Nigel, these shots are just fantastic. All you guys who decided not to go, must be kicking yourselves after seeing these. A good shot of the aero-engined Riley that was giving that Alfa a good run for it's money.

Oldfart
04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Fantastic Nigel, thank you.

nigel watts
04-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys - my pleasure.
I really enjoyed seeing all these cars that are actually considerably older than me!!
I took heaps of shots and have more to come [when I finish painting the lounge!!]

Parnelli
04-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Hi Nigel, Your photography skills are amazing and so enjoyed by all of us. Without casting any dispersions on these skills could you give us a bit of a run down on your choise of equipment. Thanks .

AMCO72
04-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Count the roll-over bars fellas........you will only need one hand!!! By the way, who was driving the 'Northland Special'....[may have been two drivers]. This old girl used to go like stink, but she has gotten very slow. Perhaps the old fart driving it, really is an old-fart, and like all old-farts is getting slow in his old age!!!! [oldfart need not reply]

Steve Holmes
04-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Awesome pics Nigel, thanks for posting them. This really looks like a great event, and a credit to the VCC guys.

Oldfart
04-19-2012, 02:28 AM
Count the roll-over bars fellas........you will only need one hand!!! By the way, who was driving the 'Northland Special'....[may have been two drivers]. This old girl used to go like stink, but she has gotten very slow. Perhaps the old fart driving it, really is an old-fart, and like all old-farts is getting slow in his old age!!!! [oldfart need not reply]

I will reply, cos it isn't me! Fred lives nearby, but..
Actually a few more roll bars than one hand, but most of them are pretty subtle, unlike my monstrosity, which comes off in a few minutes.

jim short
04-19-2012, 03:30 AM
Hey Amco go easy on Fred ,I was told some time back he dosent drive it any more ,he rubbished that tale.plus look how far he travels,a real jag man and pos.the longest pair man and car competing .HD not really suited to that car

AMCO72
04-19-2012, 04:33 AM
......Just joking fellas. I was taking the piss at my expense.....an old fart....no hyphen...me....slow.....get it? Now oldfart, all one word, is THE oldfart here on RS. I guess old Fred is older than me, don't know, but must be, and I didn't know it was him driving, all tucked up in his helmet. And yes a Jag man, rather than a 'JAGUAR' man, he has been with that machine for a long time. He must have as much trouble getting a medical for his license as me. Come to think of it, does a VCC event require a medical, or are we all just old broken down old farts.[2 words] As 93 year old John Fitch, American race car driver said......'I have to be prepared at any day, to become incompetent'...........

nigel watts
04-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Hi Nigel, Your photography skills are amazing and so enjoyed by all of us. Without casting any dispersions on these skills could you give us a bit of a run down on your choise of equipment. Thanks .

Hi Parnelli,
I use a Canon EOS 7D with 70 - 300 L zoom lens for most of my shots. I also have a Canon G11 in my pocket for pit/paddock shots and a Canon EOS 3 film camera with 24-105L zoom for black & white shots.
Your question got me thinking about an average day for me at an event such as this. I know that I'm always knackered when I finally get home & then seem to spend endless hours at my computer in the days/weeks following.
So here are some stats relating to the Roycroft event.
Canon 7D fitted with 70-300 zoom weighs 2.1Kg
I shot 1512 digital images
I shot 2 B&W films [72 images] [not developed yet - too busy painting!!]
Now I know why I'm knackered and my arms & shoulders ache!!
Cheers
Nigel

p.s. I've got more shots to post. Hope you don't get bored with them.

AMCO72
04-19-2012, 09:04 PM
ps...Quote....'Iv'e got more shots to post......Hope you don't get bored with them'.....NEVER...This thread is about the Roycroft meeting...those that get bored with this old stuff, can check-out other threads instead. Did you get any of the old RJR chassis inside the building?

nigel watts
04-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks AMCO72. Unfortunately I didn't venture into the building other than to have a coffee and a sit down.

nigel watts
04-19-2012, 11:00 PM

nigel watts
04-19-2012, 11:02 PM

nigel watts
04-19-2012, 11:08 PM

nigel watts
04-19-2012, 11:18 PM

Oldfart
04-20-2012, 01:39 AM
Looks as though I escaped Nigels' lens!

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 01:43 AM
Looks as though I escaped Nigels' lens!

There's more to come, but I wasn't there on Saturday so if you didn't race on Sunday I won't have you
Next year

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 01:53 AM

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 01:54 AM

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 01:57 AM

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 02:00 AM

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 02:02 AM

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 02:05 AM

jim short
04-20-2012, 02:58 AM
The old Northland Sp .Amco you got me thinking back to a couple of times we competed together,and we all know it won the 1st GP.1987 Steph. and I was part of the Aussie and nz Jaguar club that went to see Jaguar win at Le Mans {Le More not Le Mans Lofty scolded us to get it right!!} 96 in total and we all went to dinner at Jaguar house with all the top people involved over the yrs. Duncan Hamilton {Touch Wood a great book}John Watson the current driver,asked him whats the best place to watch? got no idear!! what about in the esses were the Ds crashed out in the first laps ??no when was that??any how after dinner was showing Ian Cummings and Tom wheatcroft some photos of Jaguars in NZ and the only one he was interested was the Northland Sp.as for winning we were a year early..Then 1997 Domain Hillclimb the biggest crowd Max Moselly ect was there and I had my Ferrari 500 Special amongst ,David Oxton Ralt and so on.never had I seen so many flash lites .to this day I have no idea how the crowd new I would be there!The Northland and I were close all day,in the end I did a 28.3 he did a 28.4 but watching eachother Don Suckling in the George Smith Sp. beat the two of us with a 28.0..Then a race meeting at Puke with a good field of the same cars that ran last week at the Roycfoft meeting including the Lagonda {Moores}thats gone to UK?I headed him of on the straight but he pulled me back out of the corners over and over,real fun ,he comented best race he had had .A little trick I learnt on the back straight dont put your hand into the slipstreem..Don Vercoe had made fun of the small bit of 2x2 timber I had put in to stop my left leg sliding around champion,but it worked real good ,the G forces was suprising as we were not going that fast, but no seat belt made the difference I guess.So I told him when I lapped him I would give him a tow.and as I came along side I put my hand out only to have it blown onto the Tyre,I guess gloves would have helped, but Stirling has said over and over if its not dangerous everone would do it.bloody stung you bet. Sadly for the car thats now in USA ,one of the beaten Riley drivers in that race objected to the car and went on and on ,the only reason that I wanted to join Waitamata VCC was to get cheeper ins!!!!so when my entry to the Chelsey hillclimb was debated over and over I told him to stick his club ,.Hell I belonged to 4 other clubs were we got 10% without being nasty I enjoyed watching him spin his Riley at 45mph.. last week!!1

jim short
04-20-2012, 03:02 AM
No 11

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 03:24 AM

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 03:26 AM

conrod
04-20-2012, 04:57 AM
some fantastic pics, but did anyone get some pics of the Sundays race of Peter Sundberg's Alfa Monza smoking the tyres? He was doing it on all of the slower corners, much to the enjoyment of the crowd, and the detriment of those poor tyres!:)

AMCO72
04-20-2012, 05:41 AM
When Jim and I were talking to him on saturday he said he was having 'issues' with the tyres. Jim may remember what he said....I think something about the side-walls, but he was certainly giving them a hard time. So much smoke at one stage that Jim thought he was burning oil!

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 07:27 AM

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 07:33 AM

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 07:35 AM

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 07:38 AM

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 10:40 AM

screwdriver
04-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Brilliant photographs. Thanks for that.
I was otherwise occupied, so didn't get the opportunity take more than about half a dozen. What they really show is that Hampton Downs is a photographer's dream, and for that alone, it makes the trip worthwhile when there are interesting cars on the track and you are close enough to get good pictures without a super long lens. Unlike most tracks, you don't even need a media pass to get them.

nigel watts
04-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Brilliant photographs. Thanks for that.
I was otherwise occupied, so didn't get the opportunity take more than about half a dozen. What they really show is that Hampton Downs is a photographer's dream, and for that alone, it makes the trip worthwhile when there are interesting cars on the track and you are close enough to get good pictures without a super long lens. Unlike most tracks, you don't even need a media pass to get them.
Thanks screwdriver & I agree with you about Hampton Downs being a photographer's dream.

conrod
04-20-2012, 09:10 PM
When Jim and I were talking to him on saturday he said he was having 'issues' with the tyres. Jim may remember what he said....I think something about the side-walls, but he was certainly giving them a hard time. So much smoke at one stage that Jim thought he was burning oil!

Yes the tyres were a bit "out of round" He said he was trying to knock the high spots off!:)

GeebeeNZ
04-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Nigel, Thanks once again for those fantastic shots. Really appreciate the last two of my" Blue Brick" No 45. I will pass this link on to my fellow VCC members, I am sure they will be impressed. Graeme Banks

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 04:00 AM

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 04:03 AM

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 04:06 AM

AMCO72
04-21-2012, 04:45 AM
How about racing the XK150 with your hand out gripping the gutter!!!! Or maybe he was just signaling someone to pass......very courteous and gentlemanly drivers these VCC boys! That was a strange machine, the white number 14 car. It could have been an Austin 7 special as it had the Austin script on the back. Somehow the wheels were all wrong. Never mind, he was out there doing the business which is what it was all about.

GeebeeNZ
04-21-2012, 05:19 AM
The white no 14 is an English Speedex bodied Austin Special. Currently running a supercharged sidevalve Austin Big 7 or 8. This is its first race meeting.
Graeme

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 08:51 PM

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 08:59 PM

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 09:02 PM

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 09:04 PM

screwdriver
04-21-2012, 09:45 PM
The white no 14 is an English Speedex bodied Austin Special. Currently running a supercharged sidevalve Austin Big 7 or 8. This is its first race meeting.
Graeme
The Speedex was Jem Marsh's forerunner to the first "Ugly Duckling Marcos" of 1959 as raced by one Sir John Young Stewart. I think the John Addy Speedex is also 1959 so it probably predated the first Marcos by a matter of months or maybe even weeks.

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 10:29 PM
and let's not forget the classic bikes

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 10:35 PM

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 10:37 PM

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 10:39 PM

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 10:42 PM

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 10:43 PM

nigel watts
04-21-2012, 10:45 PM

AMCO72
04-21-2012, 11:01 PM
I love the expressions on the rider's faces, especially on the No5 Norton with the telescopic forks. And you notice the real 'pudding basin' helmet on this rider. Now look at the rider on the even older Norton with the girder forks. he is wearing a 'modern full face' helmet. Doesn't the old style helmet look so much better on an old bike. Would probably be as useless as 'tits on a bull' in the event of an 'off', but good on him for keeping it period. Safety thread please note!!!

AMCO72
04-21-2012, 11:10 PM
These were just like the machines that we used to ride from Lincoln College to Christchurch in 1959/60. Pudding basin helmets???? Get off the grass.......T shirts, shorts and jandals, at 80MPH!!!!!!!!! I can remember it being bloody cold, even on a NorWest day. We must have been made of tough stuff.[ Read all about it on Yards and Yarns post 4.]

nigel watts
04-22-2012, 12:03 AM
These were just like the machines that we used to ride from Lincoln College to Christchurch in 1959/60. Pudding basin helmets???? Get off the grass.......T shirts, shorts and jandals, at 80MPH!!!!!!!!! I can remember it being bloody cold, even on a NorWest day. We must have been made of tough stuff.[ Read all about it on Yards and Yarns post 4.]

I learned to ride in the late 60's on a 350 Honda in Sydney - like you, no helmet, T shirt, shorts & jandals. Quite often with a pillion too [the owner].
Crazy days but we survived.

AMCO72
04-22-2012, 01:01 AM
I think those Honda 350's were the start of the slide into oblivion of the beautiful, vibrating, oil dripping, wonderful sounding BRITISH, or should that be BRUTISH, bikes.......sigh!!

screwdriver
04-22-2012, 01:15 AM
Ho ho ho! Agree about the open face helmets. My first vehicle was an LE Velocette and I remember riding the 120 miles to London on it, to the 1965 ORMA (BRM Supporters Club) dinner wearing my suit and a secondhand scruffy motorbike jacket and an open face skidlid, painted like Graham Hill's helmet, but maroon & white rather than blue & white!!!

Getting the autographs of Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, Raymond Mays, Dickie Attwood, Rivers-Fletcher, Tony Brooks, Tony Rudd, Cyril Atkin & Wilkie Wilkinson (and Albert Powell who I didn't recognise at the time) on an ORMA Rules card may have to go to an Ebay auction before too long, as I suspect that when I keel over, the kids wouldn't understand the relevance - or value.

AMCO72
04-22-2012, 04:02 AM
screwdriver, doing 120 miles on an LE Velocette must have taken all day and most of the night!!!!! I dont think that is what they were designed for.....more of a commuter bike. One of the lads at Lincoln when I was there, had one of these things, but us Norton/ Triumph bike people didn't consider it to be much chop. It was so quiet you couldn't hear it coming, and as for starting with a handle, well, I ask you. BUT thats the funny thing, while we were kicking away furiously, nearly busting our leg as well as gut, our mate Cedric, gave a couple of pulls on the handle and was off, leaving us in the dust!!!!!!!!Cheeky devil.

PaulieG
04-22-2012, 04:40 AM
Looking at these photos.....makes me wish I went! Some fine machinery and loving the bikes..... open face helmet though .... looks cool but I would shudder to think of chin plus tarmac at 90 mile an hour! Love it.:rolleyes:

screwdriver
04-22-2012, 05:04 AM
screwdriver, doing 120 miles on an LE Velocette must have taken all day and most of the night!!!!! I dont think that is what they were designed for.....more of a commuter bike.
From memory, it was only about two months after my test that I headed off to Bournemouth, with my 13 year old brother on pillion - that was 186 miles and took six and half hours (at 95mpg), flat out, 50mph/80kmh.
The trip to London was down the M1 motorway and I slipstreamed trucks (following far too close) and got my speed up to about 60mph!!!
Yup. The local bikers outside the chip shop were staggered at how easy it was to start using the starting handle!

nigel watts
04-22-2012, 06:16 AM

nigel watts
04-22-2012, 06:20 AM

Rod Grimwood
04-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Nigel, You are a wizard with that camera. I walked around and took about 230 photos but i will shelve them and just look at your master pieces. Thanks for sharing.

How are those speedway cars. All the cars and bikes were majic. And great to see so many mature people enjoying themselves.

nigel watts
04-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Nigel, You are a wizard with that camera. I walked around and took about 230 photos but i will shelve them and just look at your master pieces. Thanks for sharing.

How are those speedway cars. All the cars and bikes were majic. And great to see so many mature people enjoying themselves.
Cheers Rod - it sure was a great day

Oldfart
04-23-2012, 08:15 AM
I think it was a wee bit ironic that there was a comment or two near the beginning of the thread saying it would not be interesting!

As far as the pre 60 saloon cars (that we had none of) a few discussions over the weekend and since have firmed it up. Just now waiting for a bit of ratification from VCC and then I will post the "guidelines" on the "Going Even Older" thread. Give me a week or two, but in the meantime remember this is for "spirited motoring" in the cars. For those who were at HD this time, take on board the spirit in which this was done, and you will have the picture.

nigel watts
04-23-2012, 10:14 AM

nigel watts
04-23-2012, 10:16 AM

nigel watts
04-23-2012, 10:18 AM

nigel watts
04-23-2012, 10:30 AM

nigel watts
04-23-2012, 10:32 AM

nigel watts
04-23-2012, 10:36 AM

nigel watts
04-23-2012, 09:34 PM

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 01:31 AM

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 01:36 AM

Shano
04-24-2012, 02:12 AM
I never fail to be impressed by the quality of workmanship in those cars and the fact that, despite the time and money involved, the owners are prepared to get our there and get stuck in. magic stuff.

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 04:58 AM

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 05:18 AM

Oldfart
04-24-2012, 05:21 AM
That is a very cool photo, I am sure Richard will love it!

screwdriver
04-24-2012, 06:23 AM
When you see pics like this, you realise just how non-photogenic most forms of modern motorsport really are. Excellent.

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks guys. If only that van hadn't been there

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 07:08 AM

Oldfart
04-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys. If only that van hadn't been there

And I guess it goes against the grain to 'shop it out!
Oh how I wish you had been there before my "mechanical maladies"!

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 10:29 AM
And I guess it goes against the grain to 'shop it out!
Oh how I wish you had been there before my "mechanical maladies"!
I'm not against using photoshop but I think this is beyond my skills

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 10:47 AM

That's the last of the colour shots - black & white film images to come

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
The vintage road vehicles added a nice touch to the whole Roycroft Trophy experience.

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 10:14 PM

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 10:20 PM

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 10:39 PM

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 10:42 PM

nigel watts
04-24-2012, 10:53 PM

nigel watts
04-25-2012, 10:59 PM

AMCO72
04-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Hello 'Billy Bigtime'......Nigel....That dashboard on the No40 Riley, has got to be one of the most beautiful and interesting you will ever see. Even better than a Speed 6 Bentley! Done by a real craftsman.

AMCO72
04-26-2012, 04:12 AM
You remember in Yards and Yarns, I was recalling some of the exploits that we got up to at Lincoln College in 1959. Well the Chrysler 77 that we used to zoom about in, is on this page....post 165. And as there are only 2 or 3 77's in NZ, this COULD be the actual one. Ours didn't have a hood, raincoats when it was raining, and I do remember it had rather a prodigious thirst, for what was then 82 octane fuel. It looks as though it could do 100mph doesn't it, well we regularly had it sitting on 70, and she sounded just gorgeous.
If the present owner is reading this, check out the ownership papers and see if a Monty Montieth is on there, if so, she's the one!!!
[original story...Yards and Yarns..page 5...post86.]

AMCO72
04-26-2012, 04:19 AM
That should be post 162....the Chrysler 77 on this page.

Dave Silcock
04-26-2012, 05:15 AM
I agree and I see a jaguar gear box lurking in there as well. Is the car on the next shot an Ansaldo? I had a 6C Ansaldo as my second car and magnificent it was too. The one in the shot is not the same could it be a later model or, fantastic if it was, an 8 cylinder model.

AMCO72
04-26-2012, 05:33 AM
Hadn't noticed that Dave. It was the most beautifully built machine, and the attention to detail just incredible......just like the 'Blue Car'. Just at a glance I thought the next shot was a Sunbeam, but you could be right. We had an OM at Lincoln. A very sporty little 4 cylinder Italian tourer. Smaller than an Ansaldo, centre lock wires, and for a vintage 4 cylinder, it could go like the clappers. Unlike the Chrysler 77, it did have a hood, of sorts, but no side screens. God, if we only had these things today, we would be rich!!

screwdriver
04-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Yes, an Ansaldo

Kiwiboss
04-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Here's something exciting that would fit VCC on Evilbay in the USA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-Ray-Ford-Special-Vintage-Aluminum-Bodied-Pacific-NW-Sports-Racer-/330723035458?pt=Race_Cars_Not_Street_Legal_&hash=item4d00a10942#ht_2065wt_1048

Dale M

GeebeeNZ
04-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Dale Yes it may fit in our pre1960 group but the rear wheels may be a bit wide for our regs. A race prepared Zephyr running through a MGTD gearbox is a bit of a worry. Says a lot for the old MG.
Graeme

nigel watts
04-27-2012, 06:07 AM

nigel watts
04-27-2012, 06:10 AM

AMCO72
04-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Have you noticed how there are always 'puddles' under parked English cars. Puddles of oil, puddles of water, puddles of differential-fluid. But as they say....if there is no puddle, she's run out of liquid!!.... Aren't B & W shots great. They add another dimension to a picture. I think you notice shadows more, and the curvature of a body always stands out better than in a coloured shot. Great stuff 'billy bigtime'. Talking of leaking fluid......'you gotta fix the nut behind the wheel, before you start fixing the bolts on the car'.

nigel watts
04-27-2012, 11:45 PM

BMCBOY
05-02-2012, 10:37 PM
I thought I might post a few different shots819982008201820282038204

markec
05-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Don't those black and white photo's look fantastic, gives the impression of them being taken in period times, the man is very good.

BMCBOY
05-02-2012, 10:45 PM

BMCBOY
05-02-2012, 10:53 PM

AMCO72
05-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Great pics BMCboy.......have you got a good upclose shot of the Aero engined Riley's dashboard. I know Dave would like to see it....he is a dashboard man, like me.

Oldfart
05-03-2012, 05:26 AM
Great pics BMCboy.......have you got a good upclose shot of the Aero engined Riley's dashboard. I know Dave would like to see it....he is a dashboard man, like me.

Last photo in post 179

AMCO72
05-03-2012, 05:48 AM
How could I have missed it? Thanks......must have been too busy trying to spell 'Alpha Romeo'. That Lagonda dash ain't half bad either.

Oldfart
05-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Gerald, there is so much great stuff to look at that none of us can absorb it all! And to think that there were people who thought the Roycroft was not worth going to!!!
Thanks BMCboy and Nigel for some absolutely world class images. Weren't we lucky (or wise enough) to go and see such stuff at very close hand. Isuspect that there is nowhere else in the world where this would be allowed to happen. Now wait for Roycroft 013, will entries need to be resticted??
Hope not.

Oldfart
06-14-2012, 05:31 AM
Just to revive this, have a look at this wonderfully presented you tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZcjmSKWFVw

screwdriver
06-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Thinking out loud here. How many of the Roycroft entrants who only come out about once a year to race, would consider racing just the Sunday of the following weekend, as part of an MSNZ permitted meeting? (Dual permit.)

Maybe if they could race again, more may make the journey up from the South Island, which may well boost the Roycroft entries too?
The Roycroft currently only runs about 4 classes, so adding a 5th or 6th would appear to be good for all of us, as restricting entries is the last thing we want. Would make for an even better spectacle.

Oldfart
06-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Thinking out loud here. How many of the Roycroft entrants who only come out about once a year to race, would consider racing just the Sunday of the following weekend, as part of an MSNZ permitted meeting? (Dual permit.)

Maybe if they could race again, more may make the journey up from the South Island, which may well boost the Roycroft entries too?
The Roycroft currently only runs about 4 classes, so adding a 5th or 6th would appear to be good for all of us, as restricting entries is the last thing we want. Would make for an even better spectacle.

The next weekend is already planned for the VCC hillclimb at Waihi. Many do not "only come out once a year" there are a fair number who compete at Taupo, usually first weekend of December, Chelsea Hillclimb, Cambridge hillclimb, and various other non circuit meetings. It is a nice idea.
The event this year was restricted, not by VCC but by the circuit management to pre 60 being the vintage (as agreed with Motorsport) cut off.
There is every intention to have more classes, eg see the "Going even Older" thread, but it needs the cars and does not need the hassles. 2011 included the Historic Dodgems, (sorry for the cynicism) Formula Fords, and a fair bit of time was lost recovering their cars after they finished bashing each other around.
I agree that the gaps in the programme were not great, and in my opinion, the lack of a decent sound system did nothing to help.
Please be aware, at this time I have very little to do with the organisation, merely a very enthusiastic participant.

Russ Cunningham
06-15-2012, 06:55 AM

Your'e a worry Gerald! I'm an arse and tits man - "a dashboard man???" that's new to this boy - any mags devoted to this? Maybe there's an opening in the market place for "dashboard fetish" mags.

Russ Cunningham
06-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Hello 'Billy Bigtime'......Nigel....That dashboard on the No40 Riley, has got to be one of the most beautiful and interesting you will ever see. Even better than a Speed 6 Bentley! Done by a real craftsman.

At it again!

jim short
06-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Russ its obvious you have being getting lessons