PDA

View Full Version : imformatin required

markson
04-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi My name is Graham
I am the owner of what I consider to be a very interesting and unique NZ built motor car, which I am looking for information on
It is registed as a MK1 1967 MARKSON This car was built around 1964-66 and I believe it to be a MK5 or 7 Australian Bolwell body and maybe chassis, assembled here in NZ
I would appreciate any information regarding this vehicle. Regards Graham

Bruce302
04-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Hello Graham,
Welcome to the RS, Do you have any photos of the car ?
I have some early and mid 60's Australian Sports Car World magazines and they regularly feature specials like the Bolwell. I will look through the collection later this weekend for any background information.

Bruce.

markec
04-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Is this the same car

The auction closed and did not sell.

Search for 'Markson car 1967' or browse Used Cars

Ford markson 1967

No reserve No reserve
Closed: Tue 9 May 2006, 11:12 am
Listing #: 54764300

Advertisement

(note we are unsure of the km's done that figure shown above is just an estimate)
this is a one of a kind car the only one in the world the body is fully fiberglass and is light weight.
the engine is a zephyr6 engine and is out of the car at the moment and needs work done on it.
it has a 4 speed manual gearbox hooked up to a nine inch ford diff.
it has new 14" modgie mags on all 4 corners of the car which are covered in new rubber also.
(wheel size is: 14"225/65)
the interior is in good condition just needs a bit of a tidy it has 2 mint condition sports bucket seats in the front also.
we have registration papers here and a chassis number which is: J.B.007.
this will be a good restoration project for any car crazed person and once restored will be worth quite a bit of money please feel free to ring after 6:30pm only please or ask any questions thanks and happy bidding

markec
04-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Wrong Vehicle

mid-year
04-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Hi Graham,you might try logging on to " Bolly Blogs " , a forum for Australlian Bolwell owners.I believe the club does hold build records that should include the early models.

mid-year
04-27-2012, 10:11 PM

mid-year
04-28-2012, 12:12 AM

Oldfart
04-28-2012, 01:33 AM
Hi My name is Graham
I am the owner of what I consider to be a very interesting and unique NZ built motor car, which I am looking for information on
It is registed as a MK1 1967 MARKSON This car was built around 1964 66 and I believe it to be a MK5 Australian Bolwell and chassis assembled here in NZ
I would appreciate any information regarding this vehicle

Aphoto might help us.

bry3500
04-28-2012, 02:26 AM
here you go ...
Aphoto might help us.

GeebeeNZ
04-28-2012, 04:07 AM
In our 1990 NZ Sports Car Club register there is a picture of a Markson GT that was owned by a Glen Eden Spray Painter Colin Burrows.
I know the Bolwells as I have seen Bolwell Club displays at Philip Island Historics and have read a bit about them. I would be surprised if there was a link with the Markson. I will try and scan the picture later.
Graeme Banks

markson
04-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Hi Graeme I think after 7 months of asking the wrong people for info on this car, you are on the money
The car was owned in 1980 by a Janice Burrows whom I presume was either Colin Burrow wife or his daughter
I did try to locate her some time ago , but had no luck, Now that I have your info it has given me another lead to go on .
I do believe that a person by the name of GORDON HOOK,at the time of the cars build, had some hand in its construction ,but I could be wrong,he also built the Amero,and later on, Chev Corvette replica's as well , somehow he has appeared to disappear off the face of earth,

Bollyblog
04-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Looking forward to seeing GeebeeNZ's picture.

GeebeeNZ
04-28-2012, 09:17 AM
8022 Graham I will send you a note as well. Gordon Hook built 4 cars called Amero before he got invlved with the Corvette Replicas. The Amero was a similar car to yours.

markson
04-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Hi Graeme
You are spot on
That is exactly my car.Over a period of time I have spoken with all the people you have mentioned as well. I also found trying to locate MR Hook to be impossible, I think at one stage, I spoke to someone, who may have been a son of his, but the son??? was very vague in our conversation, but he did say, he new of a GORDON HOOK, and was going to get back to me, but this never happened, so I drew a blank in that area. After reading all sorts of article's on cars of this style that were built here in NZ back then, and putting together all the info that I have managed to collect over time,my own personal theory of this car is,that it is, an Australian MK5-7 Bolwell body and chassis, purchased from Bolwell in the mid 60's.After speaking to Graeme Bolwell personally,he does remember them selling a couple of bodies and chassis, back then, for cash flow reasons, but cannot remember to whom, or what ever become of them, and they have no records of the MK5s, as they were destroyed when the factory was burnt down.. I believe,the body and chassis was purchased from Bolwell , was cut into pieces to a shippable size, also the chassis,which was common practice back, then to enable someone to bring a car into NZ, without and import licence or not having overseas funds. I believe it was then shipped to NZ by someone who worked for Air New Zealand (TEAL) at that time, and was assembled at TEAL at Whenuapai.According to a Don Subritzky,of Spitefire restoration fame, who was an apprentice for Teal, at Whenuapai, at that time, and went on to be in charge of the air frame maintainance, for Air New Zealand at Mangere, all sorts of things were made at Whenuapai, and he does remember a couple of cars being put together out there, but was not sure what they were, or what they turned out to be, and when Teal became Air New Zealand and moved to Mangere in 1967 all that sort of thing finished, and no more homer's were undertaken at Mangere.I believe at that time the unfinished body and chassis was on sold, or loaned, to Gordon Hook or somehow, he made a mold off the body, which become the Amero , he then onsold it to who ever, maybe a person named Reynolds who was the first owner of this car. But I could be wrong .
TBC

bry3500
04-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Here is a link to the Amero and Gordon Hook...maybe you get some info via this
http://www.constructorscarclub.org.nz/profiles/profile-markstac.html

markson
04-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Hi Billy That article is sort of correct ,but not quite.Read this article that I have posted. Graham

GeebeeNZ
04-29-2012, 05:17 AM
bry3500 thanks for that posting. I have fond memories of racing against Mark Stacey in that car at a SCCNZ club meeting at Bay Park in the late 1980s.
Marks car had a standard Holden and mine was a very modified Fiat 128 SL coupe. We had a lot of fun.

bry3500
04-29-2012, 05:36 AM
cheers Geebee, enjoying your posts as well..
do you have any oics of your Fiat?

GeebeeNZ
04-29-2012, 06:25 AM

Have posted these photos on behalf of markson. The top one is the Amero the lower one the Markson. The resemblance is very clear.

markson
04-29-2012, 06:49 AM

Pictures of MKV Bolwell

GeebeeNZ
04-29-2012, 09:33 AM

Graham, Although the information you have given indicates that the car was built pre 1967 the rear window arangement looks a lot closer to the Mk 7 Bolwell above that came out in late 1966 early 1967 rather than the Mk 5 which didnt have the rear quarter window. Could it be a mixture of Mk 5 and pre production Mk7
Graeme

markson
04-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi Again
Just as a matter of interest, to anyone who may be interested in the history of this car, other than myself,I would like to thank GeebeeNZ for posting the 80s photo of the Markson, and for also posting the other photo for me, of the Amero and Markson, showing a comparison between both cars,also thank BRYAN in Melbourne for his photo post,which I was not able to post because of its size
You will notice that the profile of the car has change slightly between GeebeesNZ photo and Bryan's, the main points being that the front looks a little longer ,which can be explained by the fact that I don't believe, that it is the original bonnet of the car ,this is validated, by the fact that the main body section is glass mat, where as the bonnet is chop strand glass,also flares have been added to the wheel arches and a Chev Corvette type scoop added to the bonnet as well, since that 80's photo.T.B.C

markson
04-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Hi Graeme Yes you could be correct, baring in mind that neither the Mk5 or the MK7 appeared to have had a rear quater window, at build time, and it would appear that these were fitted at a later date. Graham

markson
04-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi Again Graeme
If you have a look at the photo of the rear quater window and door window profile that I have emailed you, you will notice a very profound resemblance, to that of an Aston Martin DB5,there is also a 2 inch rise in the door from front to back, hence I guess the chassis number being JB 007. Graham

SATIATOR
04-30-2012, 02:15 AM
For those wondering about Gordon Hook, I dealt with a Gordon Hook recently when I pucrhased a HD Corvette spring from him for the 68 Corvette rebuild for HMC.

Its probably the same guy, lives is Stratford, Taranaki and is "hookie10" on Trademe.

Currently selling C4 Corvette race panels, so likely is the same one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/chevrolet/exterior/auction-470430526.htm

grdnhook82@gmail.com

Cheers
Kevin

markson
04-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Hi Satiator
Thanks for that info I will follow it up Graham

GeebeeNZ
04-30-2012, 10:54 AM

Graham has asked me to post this rear quarter shot to highlight the rear window
Graeme

thunder427
04-30-2012, 02:37 PM

Graham has asked me to post this rear quarter shot to highlight the rear window
Graeme

......240Z roof rail chrome and rear 1/4 window ???????......................MJ

markson
04-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Hi Thunder 427 NOT SURE??? Graham

markson
05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Hi Mj Definitely not Datson 240Z trim. Graham

Oldfart
05-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Not totally sure, but knowing of Mr Hook he was pretty good at spotting "stuff" and this is very like a Caravelle 1/4 window on the wwrong side, and upside down. A close up of the latch would be a key. Then again getting glass cut is not difficult.

GeebeeNZ
05-01-2012, 11:32 AM

Another Rear window shot for Graham. This is the Bolwell Mk7

markson
05-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi OldFART
I will post close up, photo of window and trim.
Trim is definitely factory, window frame is custom made, but I am sure, not by Mr Hook, if at all he had anything to do with the cars build ??? Not Sure about Renault trim. Graham

markson
05-02-2012, 05:57 AM

Photos of side window Graham

markson
05-02-2012, 05:59 AM
More photos of side window Graham

thunder427
05-02-2012, 07:01 AM
More photos of side window Graham

......2nd try E.Type ????????..... As my Dad said "I'm Trying"!!!....MJ:cool:

Oldfart
05-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Not Renault, the hinge could be a clue.

markson
05-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Hi Thunder I think you are getting close
Oldfart My Mini Cooper had the same type of window hinges!!!

markson
05-02-2012, 07:35 AM

Chassis number is stamped on both left and right top chassis rails. Graham

thunder427
05-02-2012, 11:53 AM

Chassis number is stamped on both left and right top chassis rails. Graham

...third try,James Bond-007 ????????:o??????????:p.........MJ

thunder427
05-02-2012, 02:18 PM

Photos of side window Graham

......markson,I've been building and pulling cars to bits for tooooooo long and that 'chrome' roof rail mould was barking at me,I think I may have it!!!!.....the windscreen angle was near vertical which made me think E-Type...My 2nd Guess ,thinking price and availabilty in NZ.....HK,HT,HG Monaro,then modified......the 1/4 window is most definitely 'Home-Grown'.......'google HK Monaro........regards MJ:cool:

markson
05-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Hi MJ I appreciate your input .The trim is definitely factory ,it is to well made to be custom made, but seems a little wide to have come from a car,could it be aircraft??? The window its self looks to me to be custom made ,My guess is that the frame is a modified early MINI Deluxe ,my MINI COOPER had the same type of frame and fixing hinge Graham

markson
05-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Almost 2in wide Graham

thunder427
05-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Almost 2in wide Graham

...caravan door garnish,industrial fridge doors and possible the boat manufactures......MJ

markson
05-03-2012, 03:41 AM
Hi MJ I will have a look and see if i can see any F&P stampings on them, might be a bit of the edging trim off an old Laminex table top, or a bit of a Men's old Urinal. LOL Graham

thunder427
05-03-2012, 05:19 AM
Hi MJ I will have a look and see if i can see any F&P stampings on them, might be a bit of the edging trim off an old Laminex table top, or a bit of a Men's old Urinal. LOL Graham

.....YES!!!!....the laminex table edge and the back edge has been folded for the 'wind' strip,now 'm feeling better,just felt I had seen that molding some where ,now I know...my Mum's yellow laminex kitchen table !!!!.....regards MJ

markson
05-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Hi MJ If you have a real close look at the back edge, where the weather sealing rubber strip fits, you will see that it has been welded on
Regards Graham

markson
05-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi All .Well this must be one of the rarest cars built in NZ, a real mystery.After several emails to and from, Mr Gordon Hook ( Satiator) thanks for that contact, it looks like I am back down the Bolwell track, someone suggested a AC Cobra coupe prototype,(LOL)
. Graham

thunder427
05-05-2012, 01:41 AM
.....Graham,check if the fibreglass is 'hand-layed' or 'chopper gun',Bowell used the chopper- gun method in the lay-up process,in other words if it was hand- layer you would see straight lines where the sections of f-glass where overlayed, chopstrand has the look of one continuous sheet .....just the start of another 'clue' ......MJ

markson
05-05-2012, 03:42 AM
Hi MJ It seems to have a combination of both ??? Graham

GeebeeNZ
05-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Graham has provided the ownership papers for this car. What is interesting is that it was a one off car registered as a Markson.You couldnt register a one off make now days as if its not a make already in the computer they dont want to know. The mileage is also interesting as the car seems to have had little use.The sexist ones amongst you may also find it interesting, for a one off handbuilt car, that the first and last registered owners were woman.

Oldfart
05-05-2012, 09:43 PM
.....Graham,check if the fibreglass is 'hand-layed' or 'chopper gun',Bowell used the chopper- gun method in the lay-up process,in other words if it was hand- layer you would see straight lines where the sections of f-glass where overlayed, chopstrand has the look of one continuous sheet .....just the start of another 'clue' ......MJ

Not the way I have ever made up hand lay in sections, I have always patterned the pieces, and was "taught" to make the edges soft rather than cut straight in order to blend more gradually and alleviate exotherms, however my Buckler is made up with squares.
I earned my living for a number of years with lightweight laminates, the "dashboards" on the Harrier jumpjets were very particular on no straight line joins.

markson
05-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi Oldfart
I know a bit about cars, but an awfull lot about fibreglass Google pocock racing shells wiki history. Just wish I new a little more about this MARKSON Regards Graham

jim short
05-05-2012, 10:40 PM
May be things have changed in the last twenty years,but Bakers herons were called Skodas on the papers, my Short Spyder in 1990 was reg, as a Cortina as we kept the don. car reg.Then one day heading home on to the motorway at Penrose a cop got in behind me and just on dark ,I actually thought it may be a tow truck going by the roof lights.I changed lanes he followed ,eventually he pulled me up.He knew my name ect ,he had phoned cars reg to his base and was told a 72 cortina station wagon,after a chat about this and that he told me the cost had come down from around 5 or6 thousand dollars to 4 or 5 hundred to reg a new car.So when the current reg ran out I got new plates and no.About a yr. later I was driving same stretch of road when this cop car pulls along side with his loudhailer {and they are loud} I undid my leather helmet pulled out earplugs and defiantly stuck my head out{bloody cops always pick on sportscars} I see you have a new number he said with a smile!!!

markson
05-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Hi GEEBEE It is also interesting to note that the last owner, who was the fourth owner after the Burrows, was also a lady
I can see a little reverse psychology ( DARLING I have just brought this car for US for your Birthday ) Graham

bry3500
05-05-2012, 11:52 PM
More pics from John L's excellent Bolly Blog site
http://wwwbollyblog.blogspot.com.au/

Oldfart
05-06-2012, 02:26 AM
Hi Oldfart
I know a bit about cars, but an awfull lot about fibreglass Google pocock racing shells wiki history. Just wish I new a little more about this MARKSON Regards Graham

We won't play "one upsmanship" Olympic qualifier Tornados were one of my successes, and I did do quite a few bits for British Aerospace in the 80s too.
Interesting to note that the Markson has lever arm front shocks. Not the latest technology in the late 60s!

GeebeeNZ
05-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Oldfart Not only lever arm in the front but telescopic shocks as well. Why the lever arm shocks were there is a mystery.
GB

thunder427
05-06-2012, 03:37 AM
[QUOTE=Oldfart;13534]Not the way I have ever made up hand lay in sections, I have always patterned the pieces, and was "taught" to make the edges soft rather than cut straight in order to blend more gradually and alleviate exotherms, however my Buckler is made up with squares.
I earned my living for a number of years with lightweight laminates, the "dashboards" on the Harrier jumpjets were very particular on no straight line joins.[/QUOTE

.....Oldfart,rest assured I agree with you fibreglass method as I to have been working with F/glass since 1961,but have found that most 'specials' have very 'poor' fibreglass skills employed........my thinking was that the Bowell being of a professional manufacture where as a 'One-off' special build might show an amature level of application.

Story for Oldfart,Guy walks into my shop some 12months ago,of a rather 'Loud' nature,no consideration of the discussion's taking place,just announces.."Myles Ive bought a 63 Corvette in bits,I'm going to rebuild it,like I'm over those 'Prima-dona' panel beaters any body can repair a Corvette, as they are only FIBREGLASS !!!!!!!!,I subjested that the thing with the sun shinning through it was a DOOR,feel free to use it and dont let it bang you on the arse on the way out !!!!!!,he then asked had he offended me ????,I kindly reminded him that I had spent 40yrs under the delussion that fibreglass done well was an 'art form',who was he to belittle my efforts especially in front of people I may be trying to extort money from for my skills/craft/efforts.........given credit ,he did appologise!!....funny he's been back 5 times since for assistance/help/advise................Oh Well,Its the World we live in...MJ

markson
05-06-2012, 03:38 AM
Hi BRY3500 Let John L know through his Bolly Blog ,that if he has to walk Bare Arsed to Oodnadatta if he is wrong ,then i'll be with him.Also I will provide the sunscreen, hats, and beers Graham

markson
05-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Hi Oldfart Just as a matter of interest it also had 2 brake boosters ??? Graham

Oldfart
05-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Are the brakes on separate circuits with a booster each?
Story from the time when Alpine A110 had to have twin rear shocks, reason I have been given is that there was no suitable single rate. Sometimes the works cars had one of each pair "upside down" to get the rebound rate the way the drivers wanted.

bry3500
05-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Will do!! ;)
Hi BRY3500 Let John L know through his Bolly Blog ,that if he has to walk Bare Arsed to Oodnadatta if he is wrong ,then i'll be with him.Also I will provide the sunscreen, hats, and beers Graham

markson
05-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Hi All just recapping on the info that I have to date, and changing my line of thought a little after contacting Mr Gordon Hook
After emailing him and having a reply from him, he states that he know's nothing about or has never seen this car before, me being of skeptic mind, I don't believe his reply at this stage,but have changed my way of thinking a little on this cars history .I still believe that it is an Australian Bolwell as stated before, and I do believe that someone in the aircraft industry had a lot to do with its construction, mainly for the fact that the whole steel chassis is pop riveted together with aircraft pop rivets, and done in a very proficient way,also the workmanship of the car, to the body on chassis stage, is excellent, and considering the cars age, has been done very well indeed, it is not hard to see that this car went through several hands in its construction, starting of extremely well.I believe at this point in time that Gordon Hook did have a hand in its build but for what ever reason denies this .I believe that he was given the job while he was working for the fibreglass company in Henderson, of putting the pieces of the body back together to make it a unit again .It is very easy to see where sections of the chop strand body has been glassed back together, using glass mat.I believe at that time he took a molding off the body, and at a later date set about making what he called his OWN car the AMERO I do point out that at this point I only assume my thoughts to be correct, and is only an assumption that I have at this time,and would stand corrected on any point Graham 8251

markson
05-06-2012, 02:50 PM

This photo depict's the build of the Markson ;) Graham

markson
05-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Just as a matter of interest the chassis tub is very simular to the Toyota tray, with the body sitting on outrigger pods, with a front tubular chassis bolted to the fire wall :confused: Graham

markson
05-06-2012, 07:49 PM
8253 A rough drawing of chassis Graham

GeebeeNZ
05-07-2012, 09:27 AM

More from Graham (Markson). The mystery continues. We have since found out that the husbands of the first and last names on the ownership papers were John Frederick Reynolds an Engineer and Colin David Burrows a Spray Painter who may have also been involved with Power Strip Industies in the mid 1990s. Both were from Auckland but seem to have vanished. Markson would like any information you can pass on.
Graeme

markson
05-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Quite a coincidence that two cars can be built in two different countries in the 60's, and look almost identical:confused: Graham

markson
05-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi Oldfart Yes the brakes were on separate circuits Front brakes having large booster Rear having small booster :rolleyes: Graham

Oldfart
05-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Lots of similarities and lots of subtle differences to my eye.
Hinge front is differently cut, as are the door openings. The front edge of the Bolwell door slopes forward with a sharp bottom corner, yours runs back with a well rounded bottom corner, likewise the Bolwell rear bottom corner is sharp, yours rounded.
The Bolwell quarter window bottom runs parallel to the body, yours cuts up at an angle.
Door (B) pillars also run at different angles, Bolwell much more vertical.
These, in my mind, point to it not having been taken from moulds off a Bolwell. Mr Hook, with the greatest of respect, was never one for having been totally up front about having taken moulds from other peoples products, and much time has gone by, even if he had any involvement.

markson
05-07-2012, 07:39 PM
8262 This is how it will one day look again
:D Graham

markson
05-10-2012, 01:06 AM
84108411Another coincidental simulation Markson on top Bolwell at bottom ??? Graham

Racer Rog
05-10-2012, 05:03 AM
There would appear to be some differences there, but what must also be remembered, many cars would also be constructed in this manner
Roger

markson
05-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Hi Roger
Maybe I am way off track !!! Could it be a Ferrari ??? Graham

markson
05-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Hi BRY3500 Maybe you could forward the photo's of the 2 chassis that I have posted,to Johns Bolly Blog.and let him know that the chances of us having to walk Bare Arsed to Oodnadatta are getting slimmer by the day .:cool: Graham

Racer Rog
05-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Nah, no poor welding and yours is square tube,maybe Masser
Roger

Racer Rog
05-10-2012, 09:18 PM
But rear quarter-light, look at a VW SP2s, I don't think any of these ever made it out here, but it looks similar, in fact the general shape of the car is similar!
Roger

markson
05-11-2012, 01:04 AM
8495 NoT quite Racer Rog. Graham

Racer Rog
05-11-2012, 02:44 AM
8495 NoT quite Racer Rog. Graham

Close
Roger

bry3500
05-11-2012, 05:50 AM
From Bolly Blog

markson
05-11-2012, 02:05 PM

markson
05-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Just another feature that the Bolwell and the Markson have in common??? Graham

markson
05-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Hi Thunder 427. Definitely not HK Monaro trim .Monaro clips to rain channel .Markson is all one piece .Graham

markson
05-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Hi bry3500 This is how the front tubular chassis, bolts to the fire wall, just like an E type Jag .Graham

SATIATOR
05-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Does the wheelbase happen to be 88" ?

Bottom wishbone looks like Triumph TR4-TR6 or Jaguar to me, as in forged with bolt on spring plate.

Can we have a closer pic of the front suspension and rack as well as the rear suspension to help ID parts.

Cheers
Kevin

Hi bry3500 This is how the front tubular chassis, bolts to the fire wall, just like an E type Jag .Graham

markson
05-14-2012, 05:00 AM

Hi Satiator Photo of front and rear of suspension
I think its Austin A55 or A60.Top A arm has been fabricated???.Graham

markson
05-15-2012, 08:20 PM
8707 BOLWELL side view
8709 Markson side view
AMERO side view

I just wonderer who was looking over who's fence .Graham

markson
05-17-2012, 07:37 PM

markson
05-17-2012, 07:41 PM

markson
05-17-2012, 07:44 PM

markson
05-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Hi Well after nearly a month in this forum, I am no further ahead with info on this car,than I was 6 months ago
As I said in the beginning of my posts, that this car must be one of the very few that no one seems to have any info on .:confused:Graham

markec
05-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Being a one off with not much history will be most of the reason.

markson
05-19-2012, 10:44 PM
You are probably right markec,but I think the people with its origin, for what ever reason don't really want it known.I have been able to establish most of its history (eg) past owner's.I would just like to know who built it. Graham

Paul Wilkinson
05-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Wherever it came from it's a lovely wee car. Really nice proportions I reckon. I really wanted it when it was on Trademe but for once had the good sense not to buy a project when another one was underway....

markson
05-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Yes Paul you are correct, the photo's don't do it justice ,and a lot of people say the same as yourself, just as a matter of interest I spent a lot of time in, and under your Lotus for many years, when Charlie had it .Graham

Paul Wilkinson
05-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Yes Paul you are correct, the photo's don't do it justice ,and a lot of people say the same as yourself, just as a matter of interest I spent a lot of time in, and under your Lotus for many years, when Charlie had it .Graham

It's a shame it was stored the way it was. It will be interesting to see the state of the engine when it's checked out next week. Have you any idea when Charlie laid it up? From memory the most recent scrutineering sticker I can see is 1992 although he reckons he used it on the road for a while.

markson
05-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi Paul From memory I don't think it was ever driven after that time.There is someone who can give you better info than myself.I will send you a private post with his name and number .Graham

markson
05-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi Paul From memory I don't think it was ever driven after that time.There is someone who can give you better info than myself.I will send you a private post with his name and number .Graham

markson
05-22-2012, 06:32 PM

Front view of Markson. Notice hump on bonnet over wheels Very Bolwell

markson
05-23-2012, 07:16 PM

stubuchanan
05-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Probably of no help whatever in your search, but while looking for something else yesterday I found a 2-page article on Gordon Hook and Automotive Fibreglass Products (AFP) in "Sports Car Talk - 2nd Special Edition" put out in about 1987 by the Sports Car Club of New Zealand (Inc).

The first line begins "Gordon is an elusive fellow....", and goes on to describe Hook's experiences etc in producing Corvette Replicas, 19 of them at the time of the publication. I'm not sure I even read the story 20-odd years ago when I bought the (?) magazine, the main attraction at the time was the 57 page "My Years of Motor Racing Engineering" by Ralph Watson, which later formed a vital part of Trevor Sheffield's Book on Watson.

I think there were 3 of these "Special Editions" produced in the mid 1980's to early 1990's, but I have often been wrong!! They were sold through Vital Books, in Mt Eden Road.

Stu

Oldfart
05-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Published by the Sports Car Club of NZ. GeeBee was a founder member and sec for many years, many of the incredibly well researched articles by Richard Gray (or is that Grey)

markson
05-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks for that infi Stu and OLDFART .Graham

markson
06-03-2012, 02:23 AM

markson
06-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Note rise in door, from front to rear as per Bolwell

markson
06-05-2012, 01:38 AM

I wonder if there is a link

jim short
06-05-2012, 01:43 AM
That looks rather like Ferris De Joux Alfa GTO??

markson
06-05-2012, 01:50 AM
It is Jim
What happened to it ??? Graham

Oldfart
06-05-2012, 02:15 AM
I can tell you, but will need to be "off site"

jim short
06-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Not sure perhaps Laurrie Pulman??/ Ferris maintained Ferraris GTO was ugly!!!!! Must say I wish I had every car he built plus the Bugatti chair and English rocking horse.A little storey about the last rockinghose he made ,they had to sell close to $1000 to make it worth the trouble.He had it in my little bike shop Manukau Rd for me to sell for him then in 1989 after the Ardmore race I was off work for nealy 2 yrs, the horse was in the window on display when some upmarket women rang to buy it she offered $600 ,down $200 below its SALE price .No I said how about $ 900 . No dont be silly she said offers dont go up!! needless to say she didnt get it and when I finally reopend I put the price up to $1000 Within two days of been open some upmarket women came in and without a mumure paid $1000 .Looking at a shop in Perth that sold r/horses Ferrises ones would easily make over $3000 at about the same time

markec
06-05-2012, 03:11 AM

markson
06-24-2012, 03:29 AM
Hi Markec Defiantly not the top one is photo,but very much like the Ferrari. Graham

markson
06-25-2012, 07:36 AM

Can anyone (other than myself) see a similarity in these two cars
Maybe Ferrisis one and only ALFA GTO ???
.Graham

jim short
06-25-2012, 08:37 AM
I think Ferris would not be pleased no I am shure very rarely did any shape satisfy him there was this time I was sitting in that beautiful Maserati he created comenting on how little protection the small screen would give when he snaped back .. when are you going to fix the one on the Ferrari SP...What do you mean I went to a lot of trouble getting it right ,I copied the screen frame with small squares then enlarge untill it slotted onto the body Peter B. made it out of metal ect the perspec I carefully cut to follow the shape almost a half round..You have the wrong shape he said No not posible .But on checking he was correct the top was meant to be flat .On the rare occasion you could trip him very rare but talking about his Holden coupe one day I mentioned he had made a mistake in the construction,,.Back in the Ardmore days a parade of cars GP traveled through Newmarket and were on display under the carpark this was the year John Cooper and Brabham and McLaren were there with the Coopers just along from Ferrisis car,I was within earshot and heard Ferris say to Cooper he had made a mistake as it was not posible to get the diff out without a lot of work,, strange how some things you remember,,so fifty years later he took some time to reply,,just looked at me

markson
06-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Hi Jim
I just wonder how far away I am, from being correct,
I guess no doubt, I will get posts from the experts .Graham

markson
06-25-2012, 05:34 PM

jim short
06-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Hi looks porsche at the back the alfa looks like a 2z2 that ran at the SFOS 91 Zaid Marouth usa??

Paul Wilkinson
06-25-2012, 10:24 PM

Can anyone (other than myself) see a similarity in these two cars
Maybe Ferrisis one and only ALFA GTO ???
.Graham

Apart from the differences, which could no doubt be explained, the timeline is way out....

markson
06-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Hi Paul What year did infact he built this Alfa Graham

Paul Wilkinson
06-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Unless I'm getting confused, that car is the project Ferris started with Neli Fraser sometime in the 90's. Damned if I can remember exactly when though.

markson
10-21-2012, 04:30 AM
Just another interesting feature that the early Bolwell and Markson share

markson
10-21-2012, 02:41 PM

markson
10-21-2012, 06:06 PM

markson
10-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I am still no further ahead in my research than I was 6 months ago

markson
10-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Getting closer

markson
11-08-2012, 06:39 PM
I have just been told some very interesting info on the Markson
Sounds like my gut feeling was correct

markson
11-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Inside Bolwell MK713544
Inside Markson ???

markson
11-14-2012, 03:50 AM

markson
11-14-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't believe the person who started building this car, was the one who finished it off

markson
11-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Just received some info from Bolwell club register that 2 Bolwells came to NZ one as a complete car, the other as a body and chassis

markson
11-21-2012, 06:55 PM
It would appear that almost every body, knows everything, about something, that almost every body know's everything, about
But no body know's any thing, about something, that no body knows nothing about ???

markson
11-24-2012, 04:26 PM

markson
11-24-2012, 04:31 PM

markson
11-24-2012, 04:40 PM

markson
11-25-2012, 01:40 AM

I had a bit of an accident today, car fell off axle stands,but I think, it looks quite good 6 inches off the ground ,I also found this dead Rat in behind the dash panel ,it must have been there since the first road test, as going by some of the build quality, it would be enough to give anyone or anything, a heart attack p.s A true RAT ROD

markson
12-30-2012, 04:00 PM
I started to take the body off the chassis today ,I just hope I don't run into to many problems

markson
02-11-2013, 06:36 PM
It looks like I have found a new chassis

markson
04-07-2013, 03:18 AM
Any buyer's ???

markson
05-12-2013, 04:40 AM
I was having a scratch around the Markson today, and have come across what appears to be a chassis plate,I cannot seem to make out any numbers or anything on it, but I have taken it off and I will give it a good soak in white vinegar and see if i can make out anything
Over the last couple of months I have been playing with the Idea of putting in a XJS V12 engine into it,as someone who thought he new the car had said that he had heard that that was what,was going to be put into it at some stage ,so I made up a little cut and paste moke up and it will fit perfectly Watch this post 18155Markson 1815218153

markson
05-12-2013, 05:01 AM

markson
05-12-2013, 05:15 AM
/

markson
07-01-2013, 02:26 PM
I was given a little more info today on the Markson

markson
07-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Well after all this time I am still no further ahead with info Markson

markson
07-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Right vehicle Markec

Tedz
07-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Hi Markson, looking at your ownership papers on page 3 the Hendry family still live in prospect tce, Pukekohe. My children went to high school with James's children. I'm not sure if they have contacted you as I had sent them a link to this page about a year ago.
The family may have photos of the car from back then.
If you look next to his name on the papers there is what looks like a Pukekohe phone number, not sure if that theirs or valid still.
I don't know the family except through my children but if I can help let me know

Cheers Tedz ( Colin )

markson
07-20-2014, 04:58 AM
Hi Colin Thanks for that info
I did speak with James sometime ago, and he told me that he had plans to fit a 302 windsor motor to the car, to make it more Bolwell like
He also gave me the name of the person who he sold it to .After Burrows it had several owners that had it from time to time, but they never showed on the papers., The chap that owned it after Burrows was Garry Eden in Tauranga who swapped it for another car,after that it had another couple of owners who again, never showed on the papers. It finally ended up with a young lady out south who's parterner owned a sand blasting company, which is where it came from before I purchased it.Graham

markson
07-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Hi Colin
Could you PM me the Hendry's email address, I did try the number that I had for them ,but it no longer connects Graham

markson
07-23-2014, 03:28 AM
Directory does not have a number for Hendry either ???Graham

markson
07-24-2014, 09:55 PM
I thought I might have had a few comments about the V12 sitting in the engine bay ,but obviosly this car does not cunger up much interest,a bit like a few of the other cars I've owned, that are now worth a few bob. Graham

markson
07-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Definitely Australian Bolwell kit ??? Graham

markson
12-28-2014, 03:58 PM
2687626877Strange thing's happened back then ????

markson
01-01-2015, 06:47 PM
I thought the Markson was a little roughly built, until I seen this photo,but the Markson is almost Rolls Royce quality build in comparision .At least the window screen fits the bottom corner pillar ??? 26893

01-01-2015, 08:25 PM
I presume the pillows are to stop drafts coming in between the windscreen and the door pillars?

Oldfart
01-02-2015, 03:18 AM
Having driven the thing I don't remember there being any issue there at all.
If you think that was rough you should have seen the NEW GTB (564km or was it miles) I looked over in California. The owner had signed the contract with Ferrari that it was not to be driven unless he was present, so he was in the passenger seat when it was driven to the test track and back, and again after rectification. He drove it to the wharf in Italy and was on board the ship when it went to unload in the US and then in the passenger seat of the transporter while it was delivered to the workshop in south LA where he told the company to "pull it apart and turn it into a decent car!"
When I saw it I was looking under the wheel arches and commented on the surface rust and general corrosion on the raw metal (NO paint at all). I was then told, "They are all like that, heaps of crap, that's why I have ongoing business as long as I want".

Oldfart
01-02-2015, 03:45 AM
[QUOTE=markson;44403 Strange thing's happened back then ????[/QUOTE]
Yes, fibreglass business was not only dirty stuff to work with, but there were many instances where moulds were taken off other peoples products without permission. Lots of bad feelings, and part of the reason why it's very difficult to say for certain whether any 'glass body car has any heritage at all unless you have all the history verified.
Even kayaks were copy moulded within a very few days of launch of a new product. One I was involved with had 4 sets of moulds taken off in the first week of sale. None of the copiers had spotted the "secret mark" and all were made to destroy their moulds and pay us and even their customers had some form of recompense. That stopped it for a while.

ERC
01-02-2015, 04:05 AM
hen I saw it I was looking under the wheel arches and commented on the surface rust and general corrosion on the raw metal (NO paint at all). I was then told, "They are all like that, heaps of crap, that's why I have ongoing business as long as I want".
I can confirm that Ferraris were dreadful in that respect. I remember looking around Moto Technique in the UK (Ferrari specialists) back in about 1980, noting there was no paint on the inner door panels and rust already taking a hold on several cars.

A Mercedes sports I saw in a NZ restoration workshop some years ago wasn't much better, nor somewhat surprisingly, a late model Bristol convertible.

markson
01-02-2015, 07:45 AM
Yes ECR .I will second that from my own personal experiance,
that having owned a 1981 308 Mondial for a while, after the first day of ownership,it
turned out to be one day to long. and having spent some time and heaps of money on it,it turned out to be very disappointing
If it had not of been for the Ferrari badges,it would not have looked out of place at Pickapart.Markson

markson
01-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Hi 928
I was taking about how badley the bottom of the window screen fitted in the lower corners of the frame ???
. Markson

Oldfart
01-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Hi 928
I was taking about how badley the bottom of the window screen fitted in the lower corners of the frame ???
. Markson

So was I! From a picture you can't be sure of anything!

markson
01-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Hi Oldfart
That would appear to be the case with the Markson ,the only differance is I have all the paper work, and most of its history ,but I have not been able to find the original person who completed it,but believe that my post 14 is pretty close to the mark. It's just a pity that the person or person' who finished off did not do as good a job as the person who started it. Markson

markson
01-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Hi Jac Mac
Thanks for the proof reading
At 73 years of age, you sometimes have to rely on spell check:confused:
It looks like Microsoft got it wrong:mad: I will be a little more diligent in the future.
Looks like I better go back over my previous post's.
I cannot do much about the spelling of INFORMATION though in my site heading
It looks like I had better send Steve a message Markson:cool:

Oldfart
01-03-2015, 12:32 AM
Gordon was a master at making very quick plaster bucks to take moulds from. He was not, to my knowledge' one who took moulds from other peoples products. He was very good at being able to look at other stuff and come up with a very near replica, without it being an absolutely accurate copy.
Hence why if you have any lineage of your car to him I would doubt the Bolwell link. There are just too many subtle differences. Inspired by, no issue. Moulded from, I would doubt. The chassis comparisons you have posted are way too different to be a Bolwell chassis IMHO.

markson
01-03-2015, 01:16 AM
Not according to some of the Bolwell owner's in Australia Oldfart
And I dont think you have seen many Bolwells, or know much about them for that matter
I am a member of the Bolwell owners club in Australia and get regular info from them
and they have been very supportive in my pursuit for info
One of the older members of the club stated that he was pretty sure that it was indeed a Bolwell and would walk bare arsed to Oodnadatta, where ever that maybe, if he was wrong
You yourself must know how difficult it is try to get info sometimes,and establish
orthentisy,and heritage of something, take your so called Buckler as an example.Markson

markson
01-03-2015, 01:46 AM

Hi Oldfart
Getting back to Gordon ,his name was just another that was thrown into the hat at the time from so called experts.
But if you read a little of Gordon's history, you will indeed find that Gordon did take mould,s off other cars ,and possibly? the Markson being one of them, I believe ??? which sometime later became his Amero,also the moulds for his Corvette were taken off a genuine Corvette
Maybe we have been reading differant book's.The only part that is not correct in the article below, is that Mark Stacey, does not, and never has had,the so call original body that was used to make the Amero moulds
He does though remember seeing the original complete car that was used to make the moulds for the Amero many many year ago, driving around and he thinks from memory that it was painted Iridescent dark blue in colour
Funny how after scratching around the Markson, that one of the first of it's many colours would appear to have been a dark Iridescent blue in colour . Markson

markson
01-04-2015, 12:53 AM
Also Oldfart just to comment on the chassis
The dimensions off the drawing's that I have, that were sent to me by Bolwell in Australia
are pretty much spot on in relation to the tub section, with the exception.of the Kiwi made,bolt on tubular section, which bolts to the firewall simular to an E type Jag .Markson

Ross Hollings
01-04-2015, 01:36 AM
HI Oldfart,Sorry not sure who you are ? Re your commments about flop moulding from other manufacturers products.Was this in NZ ? I was in the Fibreglass Industry as a manufacturer and management position from 1976 to 2000,had contact with 99% of laminators in NZ during this period and being involved with various GRP car projects.Did meet on occasion Gordon Hook.Some flop moulding did take place, Lotus 7 kits being very popular.It was an interesting 24 years to say the least.Interested to hear your GRP History.

markson
01-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Hi Ross just to add to your info to Oldfart
I believe that somehow Gordon was involved somehow, somewhere, along the line, in stiching the sections of the Bolwell body back together when it came over from Australia in sections when he worked for the company in Henderson back in the sixeties
I believe at that time a product was taken off the body and put away in a corner somewhere, and at a later date a new body was made off of that product by Gordon which became the Amero.I could be totally incorrect with my assumptions but all the info that I have points that way. Markson

Oldfart
01-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Ross, PM

markson
01-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Well here we are after nearly 3 years of talking with people, asking lots of questions, and doing a lot of research,I am still no further ahead as to finding out who (really) was the first builder of this car. At this stage I can really only assume that my own assumptions and theories are correct, based on the info that I have been able to gather and put together over the last 3 years as to its origin,but I guess after 50 odd years its a lot to expect, But I shall keep on digging .
Happy New Year to every one, and as BOB DYER used to say on the radio 65 odd years ago at the end of his program Happy Motoring customers. Markson

markson
01-06-2015, 04:43 PM

The wheels look the same .Markson

markson
01-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Maybe there is a link ???Markson

markson
01-08-2015, 03:35 AM
Hi Oldfart I would just like to point out a to you a contradiction to the info that you posted re your knowledge of Gordon Hook
In post 71 you stated that he, with greatest respect was never totally up front about taking moulds off other peoples products to your knowledge, and in post 163 you state that he was not one to take moulds from other peoples products ???Markson

Oldfart
01-08-2015, 04:52 AM
Whatever. To be brutally honest, as we had extensive phone discussions, you want to believe your car is a Bolwell. I don't think anybody else cares.
Why don't you ask Ross Hollings, he seems to have known most people in the industry.

markson
01-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Hi Oldfart
I dont really care who cares what it is ,what I do know is, that it definitely is a 1967 Markson, put together here in NZ and the papers prove that, I dont really care if its a Bolwell,Ferrari, Ford Daytona,AC coupe,Aston Martin DB5 or the for runner of the Amero for that matter.I do know that it is mine, and all I am trying to do is establish ,who built it, and out of what, because I dont believe only one of them was ever built, if there was only one built ,that makes it pretty unique in my book I place no $$$ value on it, just as I did the DD2 Buckler DA5574, that I had many years ago, and swapped to Bruce Sutcliffe for a 12ftx12ft square of white shag pile carpet, and way back then, the Bucklers carried as much interest then, as what the Markson does now, but things sure change .The photo of the Buckler today below, is of it sitting in Japan somewhere, after Peter Sunburge sold it for over $70.000, thing's sure change over time ??? Markson

markson
01-08-2015, 08:30 AM

DA 5574 on the left sitting at Bruce Sutcliffe's, after the swap, in the mid 70s .

markson
01-08-2015, 05:36 PM

Blue at testing station in Grey Lynn many years ago after second restoration

markson
01-09-2015, 02:32 PM

?

Jac Mac
01-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Without checking an actual photo I think that is or looks like a Bolwell Nagari.

markson
01-09-2015, 07:48 PM
You are correct Jac Mac Markson

markson
01-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Funny how three cars can be similar in a lots of ways, built in the same era, but have no connection
Markson

Jac Mac
01-10-2015, 03:16 AM

The wheels look the same .Markson

Nope, 5 stud @ rear, 4 @ front:)...
One major reason many cars of this era look similar ( not including the thing in this post ) is the influence of the Ferrari GTO & Daytona coupe along with all similar class of cars that ran @ Le Mans & other European championships

markson
01-10-2015, 04:04 AM
It Must be running a 9 bold diff same as the Markson
,someone went to a lot of trouble to change the stud pattern .Markson

markson
01-16-2015, 02:12 AM

?

markson
01-21-2015, 01:23 AM
Another interesting feature in common with a Bowell

Paul Wilkinson
01-21-2015, 04:13 AM
More differences than similarities, surely?

Rear hatch profile, placement, window proportion, and hinging is different, rear quarter is a different shape as is rear end and tail lights.

At the end of the day so many of the 'GT' styled cars of the era share the same basic styling cues. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bolwell was an inspiration though - plenty of talented guys have made 'copies' from photos and given it their own flavour on the way. I doubt very much that the car is a Bolwell, the proportions etc are very different. On a positive note though, you've got something much more exclusive. I think it is a neat wee car.

markson
01-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Hi Paul
Thanks for your input ,I would agree refuring to the fact there appears to be more differances than similarities
but its the similarities that keep me going down the Bolwell track, along with the info that I have been able to obtain

As far as the car goes, it is what it is, and thats a one off Markson, which as I said in my very first post that I consider it to be unique as far as the build goes ,but as I have also said, all I am trying to do is find out by who?
I do not believe for one minute that it is the only body ever built of its type, as having had many many years experiance in the field know what work would be required to make the body, especially in the mid sixties here in NZ, and dont believe that it was made in someones shed at home, and would have taken many many hours of work to achieve and certainly would have involved more than one person,so someone must know,if in fact the body was built here in NZ, from start to finish. Markson

Paul Wilkinson
01-21-2015, 10:25 AM
It is quite common though for a car to be made with the intention of manufacture but then fate or economics intervene. Specialty/kit car history is full of beautiful prototypes that went no further and frustratingly is also full of very ugly cars that were made and sold by the boat-load. We also have a lot of talented people in NZ that have made some very professional 'specials' for themselves. Maybe the Markson was simply made by a talented person, with more skill/time than money, who wanted an exotic looking GT?

markson
01-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Hi Paul
We are talking about the mid sixties here, and although there were many projects undertaken, as you say by talented people, which in my opinion, were pretty rough examples of peoples talent,take the Trekka as an example, and I consider the AMERO to be at poorly copied example of someone else's work at that time, as I said before I dont think for one minute that this car was built by one person, and it can be cleary seen that the person who started this car,in my opinion was definitely not the person or person' who finished it off, that is why I find it hard to believe that no one has any info on it,taken into consideration all the info that every one seems to have on things that every one knows about on this forum ,but to use OLD FARTS words ,maybe they just dont care. Markson

a MK7

markson
01-22-2015, 08:52 AM
?

markson
01-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Hi Malcom
,Thank you for your input
Please excuse me for my naivety, but maybe I have a differant tool bar on my computer to access this site than other's
On the heading on my computer it states, historic motor racing ,motorsport history,and for sharing photos and (OTHER INFO)
I guess my post would come under the catagory of OTHER INFO. Also I do believe that the Markson at some time, maybe long before your conception, was, or was intended to participate in some form of motor racing ,as I cannot see any reason why someone would go to the trouble of fitting racing type seats, have an integral inbuilt roll cage of sort's, and have gone to the trouble and fitted a 4 point harness seat belt, if motor racing of sort's, was not intended, as in those days, calling on my memory, boy racing consisted of people like Mike Marshall and others, racing up and down Queen St and terrorising the streets in general, driving MORRIS 8s and the like
May I suggest to you, that you ignore my posts and concentrate on post of more interest to you, and maybe just one day someone will come up with the answers that I am seeking to find.Graham

markson
01-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Hi Malcom
Just incase you are having a sideway's peak at my post's

I note with interest in my relentless pursuit for info on this car, having a closer look at the registration papers, I see although the papers say that it is a 1967 Markson, I have reason to believe that the car in fact was registed much later than 1967. Going by the almost un ledgerable date stamp on the papers, it would appear that the car was not in fact registered until around 1970, I find it hard to believe that the car only travelled 4376 odd miles in the first owner name in a period of 10 years, if in fact it was registed in 1967 untill 1977, when it was sold for the first time in November of 1977 with only 4376 miles on the speedo ,again it then only travelled 600 odd miles until it was again sold in 1979 with 4981 miles on the speedo. It then only travelled 100 miles again until sold.with 5180 on the speedo It then only travelled 300 miles until it was again sold to a James Douglas Hendry in August 1980, with 5477 miles on the speedo, who as a matter of interest lived, at PUKEKOHE.I was just wondering going by the fact that the car lived near the race track, if it would qualify me to post on this site, and was just wonder just maybe??? how many sneaky laps, maybe Possum and Hendry raced together on the track at night at Puke, Possum may have even driven it.I think it might have been quicker than Possums Mum's Humber 80. LOL. Hendry only travelled 1500 odd miles in the car, untill he sold it to the last registed owner, being Janice Joyce Burrows in February 1981 with 7000 miles on the clock . Markson

markson
01-23-2015, 10:33 PM
It must have changed hand's after winning or coming last at Puke,at Christmas
around 1980-81 (LOL)
.Markson

markson
01-24-2015, 10:13 PM
Hi Malcom
Just as well I saved your post's, but I would like to thank you and Oldfart and others, for your comments, as it has served to make me become more dogged and persistent in my pursuit to find out more info on this car,although you state that you dont think this is the right place or forum to be looking for info on a particular car, as no one on this forum has any info to provide, or cares,at least 20.000 odd members have looked at my post's and I only need one person to give me the info that I am looking for. Markson

markson
01-27-2015, 07:37 PM

a MK7

Paul Wilkinson
01-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Hi Markson. I'm too lazy to trawl through all the related postings to check but has Patrick Harlow commented? I've got a feeling he probably has but if not, he would be a good person to ask.

markson
01-28-2015, 12:06 AM

Hi Paul
Patrick has been to Auckland and seen the car
and is of the same opinion as myself as to it's history
I have posted a few differant photos of a MK7 Bolwell Nadala
,so it can be seen that there were many different builds, of the car
depending on who put the kit together
According to my Bolwell freinds in Australia ,that is normal
Also I have had a very resent conversation with Gordon Hook
who provided me with some very interesting info ,which I will post later .Markson

markson
01-28-2015, 07:57 AM

Allan
01-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Have you tried www.bollyblog.blogsport.com

markson
01-28-2015, 06:45 PM
Hi Alan
I follow bollyblog
I have read every post since 2008 and found very interesting info .Markson

markson
01-29-2015, 01:35 AM

A MK7

markson
01-29-2015, 03:57 AM
Many faces of a Bolwell. Markson

A Nagari

markson
01-29-2015, 05:17 AM

Blue MK7 on Simmon's wheels

markson
01-29-2015, 04:43 PM

Simon Peryer's Nagari
here in NZ

markson
01-30-2015, 01:19 AM

Black MK7
Yellow Nagari in background

markson
01-30-2015, 04:36 PM

A MK7 on wire wheels

John McKechnie
01-30-2015, 08:42 PM
#203- the light blue one does it for me.
Love the wheels.
Oval grille area reminds me of my DeJoux
Fine site this, always enjoy seeing variations on a theme, easy to see why this thread has exceeded 21K hits.

markson
01-31-2015, 12:39 AM
Getting closer ??? Toyota GT Note the rear quater window shape

Markson left rear.
Mini boot hinges on rear hatch

Bolwell left rear

27610 27586 27587

If you look very closely at the photo of the Markson taking a level sight with the top of the cutout for the tail light and level with the top of the gaurd flare, you will see referance to the swag line that was there the same as the Bolwell MK5 before it was sanded out,also it can be seen on the white MK7 . Markson

markson
01-31-2015, 08:13 AM
A Red Nigira , Yellow MK5, Yellow MK7

markson
01-31-2015, 06:13 PM
MK5 Bolwell

markson
01-31-2015, 08:24 PM
One for you Paul
Nigira doors on a MK7 and rear opening hatch with Mk1 Mini door hinges on hatch ???

markson
01-31-2015, 10:24 PM

MK5 Bolwell basis of Markson

markson
02-01-2015, 01:28 AM
That's where the Markson rear quater windows came from
and the roof rain chanelling ???

Anyone looking for a restoration project ??? Markson

markson
02-01-2015, 05:06 PM
This is how I would like to see the Markson looking one day

markson
02-04-2015, 02:05 AM

markson
02-06-2015, 10:13 PM

I dont think I have ever come across a car
with so much in common with many other makes

markson
04-03-2015, 10:27 PM

Does any one know what this is
I do know what it is myself. Markson

librules
04-04-2015, 06:07 AM

Does any one know what this is
I do know what it is myself. Markson

Too easy - Torana GTR-X. PS: I'm an aussie on hols in NZ at present and having a great time. Cheers

markson
04-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Hi Libules Being an Aussie it was to easy for you ,hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday ,been here 54 years myself on holiday.Markson

markson
04-10-2015, 08:12 PM

markson
07-12-2015, 06:50 PM

Just another common structural similarity that the Markson and Bolwell have in common
Another common feature that goes towards reinforcing my assumpsion that this car started off as a Bolwell kit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34213

markson
01-25-2016, 10:25 PM

Just another common structural similarity that the Markson and Bolwell have in common
Another common feature that goes towards reinforcing my assumpsion that this car started off as a Bolwell kit

Note the U section reinforcing running along the transmission tunnel

Hopefully I will be turning this

Into this

It's great what a coat of paint and a set of wire wheels will make .Markson

markson
03-25-2016, 01:25 AM

markson
01-28-2017, 04:34 PM

It is with great reluctance and a great deal of sadness
due to my ill health,OLD age, and to keep my wife happy,that I am seeking expressions of interest
to the purchase of this very interesting project car,that I consider to be a very unique part of both NZ & Australian motoring history, and it needs to go,to a good home. PM me for more details. Markson

SOLD

markson
01-30-2017, 05:04 PM
Markson

markson
01-31-2017, 06:49 AM
Maybe I should have this add in the for sale section Markson

markson
06-06-2017, 04:27 PM
After all this time of my pursuit in trying to find info on the Markson,it goes to show that sometimes, time and persistance pays off ,as last night I was contacted by one of the past owner's of the Markson some 40 odd years ago.with an interest in purchasing the Markson off me.This could turn out to be interesting .Markson

markson
06-10-2017, 03:30 AM
Kerry Hendry and Markson, together again after 40 odd years 43949

markson
06-10-2017, 03:39 AM
Old redgo papers

markson
06-10-2017, 03:44 AM
Back in the hands of an old owner after 40 odd year SOLD

markson
06-11-2017, 05:40 AM

Top picture is Markson front
The bottom 2 photos are Bolwels ???

markson
06-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Totality back in the hands of the owner of some 40 odd years ago 44014

markson
06-18-2017, 04:17 PM
Markson is off into the fog and mist to the start of a new beginning
Who know,s what may return ???44015

markson
06-18-2017, 04:21 PM
It was with a great deal of sadness but also one of pleasure that I had to say good-bye this morning to the Markson
The sadness coming from the fact that I was saying good-bye inside to something, that over the last 5 odd years had given me a great deal of pleasure and fun.

The pleasure coming from knowing that the Markson was going back to someone who had owned it 40 odd years ago, and I believe had spent a great deal of his past 40 odd years, looking for something that he had owned at the age of 16, but his Dad had sold it from under his Bum,also in knowing deep down that for reason,s due to the deterioration of my ill health, also,my 76 odd years of age, and to keep my little lady happy as well, and knowing that I was never ever going to do the justice to the Markson that it deserved, and it was now in the hands of someone who shared the same passion and enthusiasm as I have had with the Markson. over the last 5 0dd years.

It was a very uncanny feelling watching it disappear 50 meters down the road into the obscurity of the fog and mist,and it was a bit like the curtains closing at the end of a great concert,and I felt a great deal of vindcation ,of my relentless dogged attempts over the last 5 odd years of being a member on the roaring season forum, trying to find out the real history of the Markson.

I did find it a little strange being on here asking what some might have considered to be silly questions and putting forward my assumptions of what I felt what the Markson was, and where it had come from,and found it very strange being in the cyber company of many people who seemingly know a awful lot about every thing that every one else knows about, but I was never able to find out anything from any one about something, no body new anything about.

As the Markson disapeared into the fog,a little flash came back to me, of over the last 50 odd years, as to how many many times I had the same feeling watching the many many cars that I had owned here in NZ over the last 50 odd years,that had in some instances had moved on and were now very well know cars and some of them were just like the Markson
A car that no one new anything about or new its of its existence
I just wonder what the curtain call will bring,in the future, with the return of the Markson

Markson

John McKechnie
06-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Graham- you did a great job in being guardian a make car that not any of us were aware of safe and secure
Its been an education and this thread-56,500 hits- makes an excellent reference for Bolwels.
Neat that the guy had been keeping an eye out for it for 40 odd years and is rapt to now have it.-Something I can relate to.
Lets hope he will finish it soon and take you for a run in the country with it

markson
06-19-2017, 12:09 AM
Hi John
Thank you for your kind words
As you will no doubt know ,a lot of pleasure in owning and restoring a car, is in finding out a little bit of history on what you intend to play with, and sometimes spend a lot of money on doing so, and hopefully one day have it restored.
Having owned and restored many different cars over the years, I have found that the most of the pleasure is derived from the like minded people that you come in contact with along the way.whom you may never had met in your life if it had not been for your common interest.Graham

markson
06-26-2017, 05:15 AM
Something filling the gap left by the Markson

Allan
06-27-2017, 01:06 AM
Fill or Overfill?

markson
06-27-2017, 03:55 AM
Probably Overfill Allan Markson

Jag getting ready to pounce

markson
07-05-2017, 12:38 AM