PDA

View Full Version : NZ Cars - A Cottage Industry

Patrick.Harlow
05-08-2012, 06:12 AM
Greetings. I am in the process of just finishing a book on the history of New Zealand manufactured cars. It has been almost 10 years in writing/research stage and now it is almost ready to publish. For a car to get in the book it has to have been mass produced in New Zealand by a New Zealand manufacturer such as Fraser, Almac or deJoux. There is a chapter on the Trekka, our most well known car, and a chapter eachon the two cars attempted by Roly Crowther. What started as a relatively simple project of about 20 known cars now encompasses more than 80 and there are still some I have missed such as Ching or Cougar but I had to stop somewhere. In all instances I was able to either interview the cars creator or a person that had first hand experience in its production such as the Falcon or Jarvie.

I am hoping that somebody out there can help in the supply of some quality pictures that I can use in my book. Full credit will be given of course. So to test the water has anybody got any quality pictures of any cars built by Cliff Everson. I have plenty of his EMW but lack pictures of his Eagle, the Cherub and a 7 type car of which I have attached samples.828882898290

Trevor Sheffield
05-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Greetings Patrick,

For a car to get in the book it has to have been mass produced in New Zealand by a New Zealand manufacturer such as Fraser, Almac or deJoux.

You have advised that your selection is limited to mass produced cars, whereas you have mentioned several which were one off prototypes. Please clarify exactly what is being covered.

It would be of considerable advantage it you could to list those already covered so that you can be sure of receiving all the information and pictures which are out there. Incidentally some fifteen or more years ago, I purchased a new in box, Subaru FF1 engine from Roly Crowther, which had been destined for his car, but was never used.

Wishing you all the best with your project,

Trevor.

GeebeeNZ
05-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Patrick, Congratulations on your first book which I have on my birthday list. I will look forward to another. I received an email in 2002 from a chap who said he owned an Everson 7 I can give you his contact off line. He did however offer the following information.

The Cliff Everson Lotus 7s

The ‘old’ 1500 motor went into the second of three Lotus 7 type cars that Cliff built in 1962. He had read an article about the Mallock U2s and had worked on a couple of Lotus 7's and the idea of a cheap, fast, fun road car that could be club raced looked good. So after a brief measure of the overall dimens¬ions, Cliff set to and built a basic jig for a car of his own design He thought that the Lotus chassis was rather too basic and wasn't all that keen on parts of its suspension, pedal assembly and sundry other items either.

For his cars the chassis were triangulated with the floor form¬mg a stressed member, and by rearranging the new suspension the cockpit ended up slightly wider and more roomy. While the overall outside dimensions were similar to the Lotus 7, the structure of the car was quite different, and by checking one of the completed cars, registered as Lotus 7 Replicas, on his chassis machine, it was found to have considerably more torsional rigidity while sacrific¬ing a weight gain of about only 301b. A worthwhile trade-off, Cliff figured.

The front suspension was a fabricated double wishbone set¬up with some anti-dive geometry built in and used Standard 10 drums on the first car and Triumph discs and uprights on the subsequent two.

Again the motors of the cars were specially built up from various Ford blocks and compon¬ents. At this point one could get carried away with all manner of interesting details about the cars design, con-struction etc, but as this is a brief resume I will just have to say that they went very well.

The third car was sold in com¬ponent form and all three are recognisable by a swage line that runs over their wheel arches. With a new home to get sorted out and a young family on the way, Cliff didn't keep his very long either, but made sure he thoroughly enjoyed it in the meantime, especially after sorting out its tendency toward too much initial understeer in the wet, and fine tuning the engine.

After that followed five Mini Moke type vehicles, two of which Cliff and Stan built together. The old Cherub name was re-adopted for them. All components, except the Mini mechanicals, hood and trim were built within their work¬shops, and as an added feature had opening side pontoons that could be used as tool boxes.

A small midget type car that Cliffs father Ernie built was on Trademe last year. That was the Everson Cherub

Graeme Banks

GeebeeNZ
05-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Patrick Recently Heartland TV reran a program called Sundays World from 1978 covering NZ cars. They covered The Carlton,Crowther Toiler Ute, Trekka, Terra (400 built) Anziel Nova, Rotarymotive (another Crowther attempt), De Joux, Magnum Spectre, Steel Bros Lotus, Buckler, and Eureka. As a Buckler owner I think that make warrants mention as very few came ito the country completely built up. The majority were built here. Graeme

jim short
05-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Try checking with the Welington Kit Car Club

Shano
05-08-2012, 09:24 AM
How about this DeJoux?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/benderboat/Motor%20racing%20at%20Pukekohe/ChrisGT.jpg

Patrick.Harlow
05-08-2012, 09:43 AM
I shall try and track down that Heartland TV programme. All of the cars you mention Ihave researched and placed in my book apart from the Carlton which I could not find out enough about. The Anziel Nova was never made here. The buckler is in the book with the deJoux body. The Rotarynotive was going to go into a car called the Crowther Sedan which Roly Crowther made an excellent attempt to get into production and makes an interesting story.

Patrick.Harlow
05-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Is this model the same as yours. If so it is pretty rare and is only one of three cars built8303

Patrick.Harlow
05-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Ok you asked for it. Hope it is not too boring. The cars covered are....
Key
### = Some data but not enough to put it in my book
!!! = Know absolutely nothing about it
All others are fully researched and written up.

Acorn Marcie (1985), Acorn Schroeder (1986 to 1999), Alfa Vee (1987 to 1989), Almac 427SC (1982 to current), Almac Clubsprint (2002 to current), Almac Sabre (1994 to 2010), Almac TC/TG (1986 to 1991), Amero GT (1974 to 1977), Amero Corvette (1982 to 1995), Amero California (1993 to 1995), Alternative Cars Swallow(1993 to 2003), Alternative Cars T Car (1983 to current), ###Anziel Nova (Not produced in NZ), Asco Aura (1984 to 1988), Aspen Aurora (1976 to 1985), Aspen Siris (1988 to 1994), Auckland Cobra (1983 to current), ###Beatie, Briford Sports (1982 to current), !!! Carlton (1922-1928), Cheetah (1988 to 1990), Chevron Classic (1984 to 1987), Chevron Aprisa (1995 to 2005), Chevron Cypher (1996 to 2005), ###Ching, !!! Classic Car Developments (1992-present), Countess (1990 to 2008), ###Cougar, Crowther Sedan (1968 to 1970), Crowther Toiler (1976 to 1978), !!! Dennison (1900–1905), De Joux Buckler (1956 to 1962), De Joux Ferrari (1961 to 1963), De Joux GT (1958 to 1960), De Joux Mini (1969 to 1972), Dixon Saracen (1980 to 1993), DUZGO (1974 to 1979), ###ESC, Escartus (1978 to 1982), Everson 7 (1961 to 1963), Everson Cherub (1964 to 1969), Everson Eagle (1982 to 1983), Everson EMW 6 (1984 to 1989), F40 Silhouette (2003 to 2006), Falcon Shells (N.Z.) (1957 to 1960), Ferrari Daytona (1987 to 1989), France Dart (1965 to 1976), France Mercedes 500K (2000 to current), Fraser (1988 to current), Grahame Berry Lotus 7 replica (1994 to 2000), ###GT40 NZ, GT40 Replication (1987 to 2002), Heron MJ1 (1983 to 1985), Heron MJ2 (1987 to 2002), Hulme (2004 to current), Ibis (1987 to 1989), Jarvie (1956 to 1958), ###Jaguar XK120 replica, Lapponia Cars (1978 to 1983), ###JBA Falcon, ###Leitch, !!! Lindsay (1903?), Lynx (1985 to 1988), Magnum Spectre (1976), !!! Marlborough (1912–1922) thence Carlton, Manx Buggy (2004 to current), Mararn (1981 to 1997), Maserati (2003 to 2008), McGregor (2001 to current), McRae 550 Spyder (1989 to 1997), ###McRae Speedster , !!! Methven (1903), Mistral (1957 to 1964), Murtaya (2009 to current), Platinum Speedster (1999 to 2003), ###Parana, ###Puma, Purvis Eureka (1977 to 1988), RD Wasp, Replicar Developments. (1990 to 1994), Redline Performance (1999 to 2007), !!! Reid (1903-1906), Roberston Lotas (1988 to 1990), Robertson Panache (1989 to 1992), RWC Cobra (1995 to present), Sam Lyle Saluki (1981 to 1995), Sam Lyle SL (1999 t0 2003), Scorpion (1984 to 1986), Short Spyder (1990), ###Southern Raider, Steel Brothers Lotus Super 7 (1973 to 1978), Steel Brothers Lotus Super 907 (1978 to 1981), Taipan (1977 to 1990), ###Tachos Falcon, ?? ### Tiki, Tom Morland Detomaso Pantera (1983 to 1990), Tom Morland Corvette (1986 to 1990), Tom Morland Firebird (1986 to 1990), !!! Topliss (1904), !!! Trailmaker 1970s, Treka (1966 to 1973), Tron Trontach (1988 to 1997), Tron Mountach (1989 to 1997), Tull Saker Sprint (2000 to current), Tull Saker SVS (1989 to current), Tull Saker Sprint (1992 to 2001), Wilco 7 (1992 to 1996), !!! Wood (1901 to 1903)
Greetings Patrick,

For a car to get in the book it has to have been mass produced in New Zealand by a New Zealand manufacturer such as Fraser, Almac or deJoux.

You have advised that your selection is limited to mass produced cars, whereas you have mentioned several which were one off prototypes. Please clarify exactly what is being covered.

It would be of considerable advantage it you could to list those already covered so that you can be sure of receiving all the information and pictures which are out there. Incidentally some fifteen or more years ago, I purchased a new in box, Subaru FF1 engine from Roly Crowther, which had been destined for his car, but was never used.

Trevor.

GeebeeNZ
05-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I shall try and track down that Heartland TV programme. All of the cars you mention Ihave researched and placed in my book apart from the Carlton which I could not find out enough about. The Anziel Nova was never made here. The buckler is in the book with the deJoux body. The Rotarynotive was going to go into a car called the Crowther Sedan which Roly Crowther made an excellent attempt to get into production and makes an interesting story.

The Carlton was made around 1921 and in a short time they went bust. I understand the Gisborne branch of the Vintage Car Club have restored the only surviving example. They would know more about the company than anyone. gisborne@vcc.org.nz would get them.

jim short
05-08-2012, 10:08 AM
HI Patrick I taped it the other night if needed give me a call am in the book under my real name ,dont think will be a lot of use hoping you are ok am in Tokoroa again

Patrick.Harlow
05-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi Trevour.

All the cars mentioned either made it into mass production in some form or other apart from the Crowther Sedan and the Lappionia which did everything but make into mass production. For the purpose of this book apart from the two mentioned "mass production" means two or more with the intention of mass marketing it.

Most do not know of these cars. Hence a simple project turned into a massive project.

Greetings Patrick,

Trevor.

GeebeeNZ
05-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Patrick Surprised you cant get enough data on the Leitch for the book. Barry Leitch should not be hard to find in Invercargill. Not only did he produce a number of Lotus 7 type cars but also the Lotus 23 try b.leitch@es.co.nz
Graeme

Oldfart
05-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Patrick, I am surprised you say the Anziel was not made here. It certainly was, and was tested by Motorman (my Mum ordered one) and one of them is still seen occasionally on the road up here, still run by the Gibbs family!
likewise you mention Tiki and Falcon, but have omitted the far more prolific Buckler.

Patrick.Harlow
05-08-2012, 06:51 PM
You are quite correct that the Anziel was tested here. It was a car brought over from overseas but as best as I am aware no car was actually produced here. The Buckler was a chassis which had a range of different bodies and I have included its story as a deJoux Buckler. Which raises the old question of, is a car a chassis or a body? Was the Trekka a Skoda or was it a Trekka etc? Is the Lynx a 7 type car or is it a Triumph Herald? But I am not going to head down that road of thorns.
Patrick, I am surprised you say the Anziel was not made here. It certainly was, and was tested by Motorman (my Mum ordered one) and one of them is still seen occasionally on the road up here, still run by the Gibbs family!
likewise you mention Tiki and Falcon, but have omitted the far more prolific Buckler.

Patrick.Harlow
05-08-2012, 07:03 PM
I knew when I published that list I would get into trouble. The main reason Leitch did not make it into my book was through lack of time to research it and due to its size which is now ballooning to around the 240 pages mark. There are already a lot of 7 manufacturers in the book.

However I never said that the current book would be my last book. I am a great fan of New Zealand made cars as is evident in the book I published last year called "Alternative Drivestyles" which was about blokes building cars in their sheds. A couple of Leitches featured in there.
Patrick Surprised you cant get enough data on the Leitch for the book. Barry Leitch should not be hard to find in Invercargill. Not only did he produce a number of Lotus 7 type cars but also the Lotus 23 try b.leitch@es.co.nz
Graeme

Patrick.Harlow
05-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks. I have been in touch with him.

He is currently trying to dig out some pictures.

Patrick, Congratulations on your first book which I have on my birthday list. I will look forward to another. I received an email in 2002 from a chap who said he owned an Everson 7 I can give you his contact off line. He did however offer the following information.

A small midget type car that Cliffs father Ernie built was on Trademe last year. That was the Everson Cherub

Graeme Banks

Shano
05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Is this model the same as yours. If so it is pretty rare and is only one of three cars built8303

That's the one. It was owned by my brother back in the 60s. I recall that it had a Vauxhall engine, but the engine was running hot so my brother sold it. Great looking car and it you look at the panel work, there's no deflection, the sign of a master fibreglass craftsman.

I also recall that the seats were mounted on the floor so you sat with your legs pretty much straight out in front of you. It wasn't the most comfortable of cars.

jim short
05-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Keven Lamb had one with a vangard mtr,he was a close friend of Ferris ,he also tuned Rod Coppins Jaguar based down the bottom of Mangerie by the water

rf84
05-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Pirhana (Napier)- a Lotus 7 clone. Originally started by Lance Bayliss. Sold to Stu Pykett. Lance also built a "one off" single seater of the same name with a big bike motor.
Gulf (Takapuna)-yet another Lotus 7 thingy.
Heron (Rotorua) Ross Baker
MER- a line of about 6 racing cars
Valour-racing cars only
McQueen-Formula Vee racing cars

Paul Wilkinson
05-09-2012, 04:15 AM
I believe the Mararn has an interesting history. I was told that Bill Jongbloed (who made the wheels for the US Mantas) sold the moulds to Graham McRae who imported them into NZ but then sold them on. This is around the time the Lovettes stared using American Racing wheels on the Mantas instead so maybe there was a falling out....

Oldfart
05-09-2012, 04:38 AM
Patrick, don't get me wrong, I admire what you are doing absolutely, but if you are using the list you have published I think you need to restate the position, that it has made it into mass production, or at least intended so.
You have a number of "one off" cars, many of the de Joux cars being examples.
Looking forward to the book.

jim short
05-09-2012, 04:52 AM
Patrick there is a great song called I Did It my Way keep it up just remember I want a copy

Trevor Sheffield
05-09-2012, 04:55 AM
I agree because this was the very reason for my previous post. Many of the cars listed could be argued to constitute no more than specials. Patrick I too certainly very much applaud your efforts, but you will have to be very careful if you are to avoid criticism after the book is published. You will no doubt be aware of another's previous book which gained negative comment. Shortening the scope would be to your advantage, otherwise where do you draw the line. As I see it, adequately covering the list you have outlined would be a near impossible task.

Patrick.Harlow
05-09-2012, 05:18 AM
Thanks Jim

I now have access to it from another source. Namely TVNZ Archives. I shall come back to you if this falls through.

HI Patrick I taped it the other night if needed give me a call am in the book under my real name ,dont think will be a lot of use hoping you are ok am in Tokoroa again

Patrick.Harlow
05-09-2012, 05:22 AM
Thanks for that. Another piece into the puzzel. Below is another of these as it is today.

That's the one. It was owned by my brother back in the 60s. I recall that it had a Vauxhall engine, but the engine was running hot so my brother sold it. Great looking car and it you look at the panel work, there's no deflection, the sign of a master fibreglass craftsman.

I also recall that the seats were mounted on the floor so you sat with your legs pretty much straight out in front of you. It wasn't the most comfortable of cars.

Patrick.Harlow
05-09-2012, 05:31 AM
The Mararn has a fascinating history and I was able to speak to David Harrod was originally asked to make the moulds for the Mararn before Graham was offered the opportunity to be a part of Paul Newmans racing team so he eventually sold the project to David. David put the car into production and it is a fascinating story. David made about 37 cars before the rights to build it were purchased by Kent Taylor-Reid of Auckland who sold a further 4 before selling the moulds to Bruce Turnbull. I met all of these men but have lost touch with Kent as he has moved.

I believe the Mararn has an interesting history. I was told that Bill Jongbloed (who made the wheels for the US Mantas) sold the moulds to Graham McRae who imported them into NZ but then sold them on. This is around the time the Lovettes stared using American Racing wheels on the Mantas instead so maybe there was a falling out....

Patrick.Harlow
05-09-2012, 05:38 AM
No offence taken. I am very happy to be called to task as it will help the accuracy of the book. In the deJoux instance I was able to interview him about 5 months before he died and yes he did make a few one off cars. However with the cars I mentioned.

(de Joux) Buckler 1956 to 1962: About 6 cars were built
De Joux Special 1961 to 63: Also know as the ferrari 2 were built.
de Joux GT 1958 to 1960: 3 were built
Mini de Joux 1969-1972: 20 cars were built

Patrick, don't get me wrong, I admire what you are doing absolutely, but if you are using the list you have published I think you need to restate the position, that it has made it into mass production, or at least intended so.
You have a number of "one off" cars, many of the de Joux cars being examples.
Looking forward to the book.

Oldfart
05-09-2012, 05:47 AM
No offence taken. I am very happy to be called to task as it will help the accuracy of the book. In the deJoux instance I was able to interview him about 5 months before he died and yes he did make a few one off cars. However with the cars I mentioned.

The de Joux bodied Bucklers are well in excess of this number! In my possession is the upgraded Kelvin Brown book which lists the KNOWN ones, (and it does not have mine!) There were other bodies, but not many, on the Buckler chassis. Both NZ and english built chassis with a number of variants, ie Mk5/6, 90s, DD1, DD2, etc and quite a number of each. The real factory records were lost when Denis Marwood took over the company which later became Performance Developments. Kelvin, with Bruce Sutcliffe has collated much information. PM me if you want more detail. Reality would say, possibly the most prolific car before the Fraser/Chevron/T car/Leitch et al era
As Trevor says above, please don't let your book fall into the same trap as another NZ book, ie well meaning but falling down on the details.

Patrick.Harlow
05-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Always a risk to fall down on the details and you are quite right in that more than 6 deJoux bodies were built. Below is my final paragraph in that chapter which should shed more light.

"Half a dozen bodies were built by Ferris and his friend Jack Innwood, a photographer, in an old single garage just down the road from his father’s home. Ferris still had to keep up his day job as a window designer and he and Jack would work well into the night making bodies under the dim light provided by a Tilly Lamp. However Ferris preferred car styling to car production and the Mk 1 moulds and rights were later sold to Bruce Sutcliffe who made another dozen or so bodies.

Bibliography:
Written with the help of Ferris de Joux, Kelvin Brown
The cars of Ferris de Joux by Alan Dick: Classic Driver Issue 24 2008, Pgs 56 to 60
Buckler History by Kelvin D. Brown: Chapters F and J "

The de Joux bodied Bucklers are well in excess of this number! In my possession is the upgraded Kelvin Brown book which lists the KNOWN ones, (and it does not have mine!) There were other bodies, but not many, on the Buckler chassis. Both NZ and english built chassis with a number of variants, ie Mk5/6, 90s, DD1, DD2, etc and quite a number of each. The real factory records were lost when Denis Marwood took over the company which later became Performance Developments. Kelvin, with Bruce Sutcliffe has collated much information. PM me if you want more detail. Reality would say, possibly the most prolific car before the Fraser/Chevron/T car/Leitch et al era
As Trevor says above, please don't let your book fall into the same trap as another NZ book, ie well meaning but falling down on the details.

Paul Wilkinson
05-09-2012, 06:47 AM
The Mararn has a fascinating history and I was able to speak to David Harrod was originally asked to make the moulds for the Mararn before Graham was offered the opportunity to be a part of Paul Newmans racing team so he eventually sold the project to David. David put the car into production and it is a fascinating story. David made about 37 cars before the rights to build it were purchased by Kent Taylor-Reid of Auckland who sold a further 4 before selling the moulds to Bruce Turnbull. I met all of these men but have lost touch with Kent as he has moved.

You're right, sorry. It was a Manta body that was brought in, not a mould. I've had a Mararn and a Manta Mirage over the years...

GeebeeNZ
05-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Patrick, Like others I have gone through your list and wondered why some have been included and others excluded. I congratulate you on putting a book together covering so many makes and believe me there will always be someone to argue the point. All I can say is great effort and yes I will be buying a copy. My only disappointment is that of the cars you are featuring it was only the Acorn I hadnt heard off. Guess I have been around too long.
Graeme

Paul Wilkinson
05-09-2012, 06:51 AM
I have a solution. Call the book volume 1....

I'll never be able to get enought of this type of book and these types of cars. I want to read about the notable one-offs as well. The Maximum Mini book and blog are great examples of how to collect and publish this type of information.

Oldfart
05-09-2012, 06:52 AM
PM to Patrick and Paulie.
Graeme, you an even older fart than I, I even knew the Acorn, but missed on some others!

Steve Holmes
05-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Patrick, good for you, what a massive effort this must have been, bringing this together. I wish you every success. My parents nearly bought one of those JBA sports cars several years ago. A salesman visited their house and they took a car for a test drive, but never actually bought a car. I think there was a stall set up at Manfield and my father took an interest from there.

GeebeeNZ
05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Keven Lamb had one with a vangard mtr,he was a close friend of Ferris ,he also tuned Rod Coppins Jaguar based down the bottom of Mangerie by the water

Although Kevin's was the most well known of the De Joux GTs there were others such as Glen Morwood's Victor engine example he called the GTM. Patrick have you come across that one.

thunder427
05-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks for that. Another piece into the puzzel. Below is another of these as it is today.

:p:p:p...I think I just Fell in Love!!!!!!!!!!!...No I'am sure I'am in love..just love the FC Holden head light surround/s,Patrick I'm another that will buy 'your' book,but only If you can tell me where in can get a body shell,...Shano, I totally agree with your comment ,body is 'Perfect',just love that 'up and over' on the front wheel arch,would like to see a 'rear shot' to see if they got that end as 'right' as the front is.......my only change would be the 'Bloody horrible 'slidding' sun roof......why do people buy an MGB/GT's and fit one of those atrocities,( go around a righthand cnr and your best girl gets a free shower while wearing her ''new' red dress,see how much fun that evening becomes,this 'IS' experience talking !!!),if you want a 'convertable,just buy an MGB!!!!!...........Patrick,thank you for opening this thread,never thought I would be 'lucky' enough to be in love in my 66th year, that lil Red car is Beautiful!!!!!.....I'm thinking 327 and muncie,Jag arse end, the 'chrome wires' can stay!!!....regards thunder427/Myles:cool:

Shano
05-09-2012, 07:48 PM
It was a striking looking car way back then - we lived in the working class suburb of Puhinui and the car was something very different and attracted lots of attention.

Still a fabulous looking car and that one has been beautifully restored. Sorry about the thread hijack, I'll shut up now.

Paul Wilkinson
05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Loving the hijack! Here are a few pictures I took of Ferris's restored Mini GT prototype at the Domain hillclimb many years ago... Note his MG parked next to it in the first photo.

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/Ferrisfrontq.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/Ferrisside.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/Ferrisrear.jpg

Paul Wilkinson
05-09-2012, 08:37 PM
My old blue bomb from years back..

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/Penfold-sideq.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/Penfold-front.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/100dpi.jpg

Paul Wilkinson
05-09-2012, 10:19 PM
This ad drove me crazy when I was a kid! Got one in the end...

Paul Wilkinson
05-09-2012, 10:24 PM
As with a lot of cars of this type, I never quite finished it as University needed to be paid for....

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Mararn/Mararn14.jpg

The Manta was enjoyed though...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Manta%20Mirage/DSC01691.jpg

Steve Holmes
05-09-2012, 10:53 PM
That Manta is an interesting looking car. The front looks like it was styled on the McLaren M8B Can-Am, and the rear looks like it was styled on the Lola T163 Can-Am.

Steve Holmes
05-09-2012, 10:56 PM
This ad drove me crazy when I was a kid! Got one in the end...

I remember the first time I saw one of these, parked outside the little corner shop near where I lived. I was just a kid and my friend and I just stood there gawping, thinking this must have been fastest machine ever built. Then the owner jumped in, started it up, and the VW Beetle motor chugged into life, and I couldn't have been more disappointed! But boy, they are a pretty car.

Trevor Sheffield
05-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Patrick,

Your book is a great project and is very much worthwhile. N. B. You will be creating a lasting historical record.

The idea of two additions, with the first in advance advising of a second, as has been wisely suggested, makes a great deal of logical sense. This provides the opportunity to amplify detail and if necessary correct any blues via the second addition. What is more from a commercial point of view, you should be able to bank on second addition sales equalling the first, as you will have created a captive market. Modern printing methods make this an ideal approach.

A word from one old and hopefully wise. When even a slight doubt exists, use terms such as, advice indicates that, it was reported in, as I understand it, etc. Definitive statements are not essential within such a publication and if you decide on two issues, you have the opportunity to carry forward further advice and detail, regarding an interest which has already been established e.g. under a heading "Addendum".

Having been there and done it, if you send me a PM I can give you some valuable tips regarding saving costs in respect of publication.Click on ----- http://ralphwatson.scienceontheweb.net/index.html ---- I trust that you have a good publication programme installed on your computer. Meantime don’t hurry the project, take your time, use the valuable information you are collecting here and get it right. Most important, enjoy what you are doing.

Sincerely, Trevor.

markec
05-10-2012, 05:39 AM

GeebeeNZ
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
I believe that Epiglas made a sports car body called the Sonata ( their company was Sonata Laboratories) but I have not come across one in years. Does anyone know of it. From memory it was like a Ching Ford with an A30 grill making it look a bit like a small C type Jag. Graeme

stubuchanan
05-10-2012, 10:15 AM
I believe that Epiglas made a sports car body called the Sonata ( their company was Sonata Laboratories) but I have not come across one in years. Does anyone know of it. From memory it was like a Ching Ford with an A30 grill making it look a bit like a small C type Jag. Graeme

http://s6.postimage.org/z6gsy70j5/Ford_10_Spl_Ararimu.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Would this be the body you had in mind? A picture from a Pukekohe Car Club hillclimb at Ararimu Road, Paparimu - 1965 I think. No idea who the driver was or what the car was named. A few years earlier many were just "Ford 10 Special"
with heaven knows what chassis.

Sorry about photo quality, poor old wide-angle lens was struggling a bit at this distance!

Stu

GeebeeNZ
05-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks Stu You must have a good index system to turn that up in a few minutes.

jim short
05-10-2012, 10:23 AM
One use to take part in the relay events taccoc ran also was at Wellington street race

stubuchanan
05-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Been away from the Internet in the wilds of the Kaipara for a couple of days and return to find this most interesting thread in full swing.

Here is an article from the long-since-defunct 'Auckland Star' of 4 May 1988 re the above.

http://s6.postimage.org/xovcmmvsh/Diana_Coster_s_de_Joux001.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

http://s6.postimage.org/7hu5qodip/Diana_Coster_s_de_Joux002.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

The car seems to have had a long life on the road for a Special.

Stu

stubuchanan
05-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks Stu You must have a good index system to turn that up in a few minutes.

It's called a human brain! Almost 70 years old. Remembers this stuff quite well sometimes, but inclined to forget things my wife told or asked me yesterday. A common problem, I'm told.

Stu

PhotoSmith
05-10-2012, 10:48 AM
I remember the first time I saw one of these, parked outside the little corner shop near where I lived. I was just a kid and my friend and I just stood there gawping, thinking this must have been fastest machine ever built. Then the owner jumped in, started it up, and the VW Beetle motor chugged into life, and I couldn't have been more disappointed! But boy, they are a pretty car.

This one would have sounded a little better, 2.0 litre Datsun powered running in the SCANZ series.
Phil Martin - Baypark - Easter 1983

jim short
05-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Yes I think I was there this day ,thought it a joke that this yellow car was starting on pole!!but it just cleared out....I think it may be the same car Tony Herbert rebuilt the Lotus chassis back into a single seater?

jim short
05-10-2012, 09:35 PM
The Ching body was run as a Mistral by Wayne Sattler {Taranaki??} ,he did 2.16 in prac..at Manfield fastest car did 1.36 David Childs Buckler.races next day was on the Ohakia airfield 1982?

Paul Wilkinson
05-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Apparently Rhubarb 2 wearing Rhubarb 5's Mararn body...

http://www.can-am-cars.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=2&idproduct=562

Patrick.Harlow
05-12-2012, 01:39 AM
I know of the Pirhana and have lots of pictures but not the story. Lance Baylis of Napier is a possible avenue of investigation. Thanks.

Know of the Gulf too and have a couple of pictures but was trying to find it in New Plymouth.

Thanks Also

Pirhana (Napier)- a Lotus 7 clone. Originally started by Lance Bayliss. Sold to Stu Pykett. Lance also built a "one off" single seater of the same name with a big bike motor.
Gulf (Takapuna)-yet another Lotus 7 thingy.
Heron (Rotorua) Ross Baker
MER- a line of about 6 racing cars
Valour-racing cars only
McQueen-Formula Vee racing cars

Patrick.Harlow
05-12-2012, 01:43 AM
Not a stupid idea. In my draft folders section their are another 30 odd cars awaiting further research e.g. Fraser; or currently in the too hard basket. e.g.Cougar

I have a solution. Call the book volume 1....

I'll never be able to get enought of this type of book and these types of cars. I want to read about the notable one-offs as well. The Maximum Mini book and blog are great examples of how to collect and publish this type of information.

Patrick.Harlow
05-12-2012, 01:48 AM
As requested here a re pictures of the front and back of the deJoux GT. Ferris deJoux when I showed him this picture wanted to know who had butchered the back window. Originally it had a curved plastic rear screen. No idea what happened to the moulds though.

:p:p:p...I think I just Fell in Love!!!!!!!!!!!...No I'am sure I'am in love..just love the FC Holden head light surround/s,Patrick I'm another that will buy 'your' book,but only If you can tell me where in can get a body shell,...Shano, I totally agree with your comment ,body is 'Perfect',just love that 'up and over' on the front wheel arch,would like to see a 'rear shot' to see if they got that end as 'right' as the front is.......my only change would be the 'Bloody horrible 'slidding' sun roof......why do people buy an MGB/GT's and fit one of those atrocities,( go around a righthand cnr and your best girl gets a free shower while wearing her ''new' red dress,see how much fun that evening becomes,this 'IS' experience talking !!!),if you want a 'convertable,just buy an MGB!!!!!...........Patrick,thank you for opening this thread,never thought I would be 'lucky' enough to be in love in my 66th year, that lil Red car is Beautiful!!!!!.....I'm thinking 327 and muncie,Jag arse end, the 'chrome wires' can stay!!!....regards thunder427/Myles:cool:

Patrick.Harlow
05-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Would you be interested in sharing those pictures with me?

My old blue bomb from years back..

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/Penfold-sideq.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/Penfold-front.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/100dpi.jpg

Patrick.Harlow
05-12-2012, 01:59 AM
I know of this car and strongly suspect that it is a copy of the Falcon made in Napier by Peter Pallandine while he was living in New Zealand. Two lots of moulds and about three cars were made. One set of moulds was taken back to the UK by Peter where he made couple of thousand more cars and the other was badly damaged in a factory fire.

I would be interested in hearong more about the Cougar if anybody can help me out?

Patrick.Harlow
05-12-2012, 02:04 AM
The Ching body was run as a Mistral by Wayne Sattler {Taranaki??} ,he did 2.16 in prac..at Manfield fastest car did 1.36 David Childs Buckler.races next day was on the Ohakia airfield 1982?

This is my picture of the Ching. Another car in the too hard basket but perhaps somebody knows something else.

Patrick.Harlow
05-12-2012, 02:09 AM

Below is a sample picture of the Mararn I am using in my book. A very tasty example now powered with a Toyota MR2 back end. Had a resonably quick ride around North Shore in it. Now for sale on Trade Me.

jim short
05-12-2012, 02:16 AM
There was only one Ferris. a small built man but a genius ,he could make anything even complete armour suit for a pomy soldier a beautiful Buggatti chair,had to smile one day Ferris discussing some thing with Neil Frazer when some big chap horns in and takes over,Ferris moves around him and continues his discussion right in front of him!1Had to admire him with parkinson now troubling him quite badly drilling a line of rivet holes along the side of the Maserati sp. Margaret came out to see how he was making out,and asked hows he doing ?I told her a bit crooked but ok !!Well you would have to be there to understand then again he had a good sense of humour,We were at Puke a day after BOOBS on bikes parade down Queen St. when Jan Mc. walks past carring a crash hat Ferris asks wasnt the parade yesterday?? real cool,Jack Braham tried hard to take him to UK but he prefered NZ

markec
05-12-2012, 02:57 AM

Paul Wilkinson
05-12-2012, 04:18 AM
Would you be interested in sharing those pictures with me?

I'm not sure what I still have knocking around but you are welcome to any and all of them. S4lotus7 at hotmail.com

Oldfart
05-12-2012, 05:07 AM
I know of this car and strongly suspect that it is a copy of the Falcon made in Napier by Peter Pallandine while he was living in New Zealand. Two lots of moulds and about three cars were made. One set of moulds was taken back to the UK by Peter where he made couple of thousand more cars and the other was badly damaged in a factory fire.

I would be interested in hearong more about the Cougar if anybody can help me out?

J am not sure when PP came to NZ, it would be interesting to know as the Cougar is on the market according to the ad in pre $ days, and memory tells me it was pretty early. I thought he came here in around 63?

Paul Wilkinson
05-12-2012, 05:48 AM
There was only one Ferris. a small built man but a genius ,he could make anything even complete armour suit for a pomy soldier a beautiful Buggatti chair,had to smile one day Ferris discussing some thing with Neil Frazer when some big chap horns in and takes over,Ferris moves around him and continues his discussion right in front of him!1Had to admire him with parkinson now troubling him quite badly drilling a line of rivet holes along the side of the Maserati sp. Margaret came out to see how he was making out,and asked hows he doing ?I told her a bit crooked but ok !!Well you would have to be there to understand then again he had a good sense of humour,We were at Puke a day after BOOBS on bikes parade down Queen St. when Jan Mc. walks past carring a crash hat Ferris asks wasnt the parade yesterday?? real cool,Jack Braham tried hard to take him to UK but he prefered NZ

He was a great guy wasn't he? He was very generous with his time with me and very patient too. He wouldn't take any rubbish but he had a good sense of humour. He was hugely talented, quietly proud of what he had achieved but not one to big-note. I feel privileged to have known him.

Even his signature had style...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/deJouxbadge1.jpg

Patrick.Harlow
05-12-2012, 06:20 AM
J am not sure when PP came to NZ, it would be interesting to know as the Cougar is on the market according to the ad in pre $ days, and memory tells me it was pretty early. I thought he came here in around 63?

Peter came to New Zealand for the first time around about 1957 and settled in Gisborne where the Falcon originated. I have attached a popular publicty photo that is quite well known around the world. But what is not known is that it was taken at Gisborne Airport. Peter Faulkner is sitting in the car and was one of three people that worked on the original buck. Peter Pallandine left New Zealand towards the end of the 50's to go back to England and then left England for Australia in 1962.

It is also possible that before he left for England he may have taken the car that would become the Tiki, an Ashly deriviative, down south but that is unconfirmed.

markec
05-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Regarding #67, the ad came out of a 1965 publication.

Chris Read
05-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi Patrick
Looking at your list I think the Furi should be in here. Variety of models by Bennet, Dunedin. One in Queenstown...still making them.
Chris Read - Arrowtown.

Patrick.Harlow
05-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi Patrick
Looking at your list I think the Furi should be in here. Variety of models by Bennet, Dunedin. One in Queenstown...still making them.
Chris Read - Arrowtown.

Hi Chris

I had heard of the Furi but thought that they were a lot of one offs. Happy to change that opinion and have just looked up Bennett and Bennet in the Dunedin Phonebook. Do you have any further information to narrow it down.

Paul Wilkinson
05-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Who needs a car trailer? Just hire a trailer from the garage!

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/7.jpg

Paul Wilkinson
05-12-2012, 12:36 PM
My Dad owned this for a very short time forty-odd years ago. He brought it home (to use as transport) when my Mum was 8 1/2 months pregnant. Always the optomist....

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Buckler3.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Buckler2.jpg

Paul Wilkinson
05-12-2012, 12:47 PM
My Sister's old Ibis...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Ibis1.jpg

Paul Wilkinson
05-12-2012, 12:48 PM
My old Leitch...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Leitch%20Supersprint/DSC00227.jpg

My old Chevron...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Chevron/DSC03474.jpg

Paul Wilkinson
05-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Dad's old Chevron...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/chevron.jpg

The corner of Dad's old Ibis...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/10.jpg

Paul Wilkinson
05-12-2012, 12:52 PM
I think my family has supported the local car industry quite well. There was also a locally made Beach Buggy, another Chevron, three Steel Bros S4s and two more deJoux Mini GTs...

Oldfart
05-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Jim Bennett, in this case I would agree with Patrick, prolific car builder, but all one offs except for one which I think Jim had plans for low production.
PM for you patrick

Russ Cunningham
05-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Patrick,

Full credit to you for approaching such a subject. It's bound to attract criticism as did Vercoes's book but without such as yours and Vercoes efforts, much of NZ's motoring history would be consigned to history. Sure! You'll be reprimanded for mistakes but take solace in the fact that you've saved some of it. I'll buy a copy.

markec
05-15-2012, 03:05 AM

Patrick.Harlow
05-15-2012, 05:39 AM
Patrick,

Full credit to you for approaching such a subject. It's bound to attract criticism as did Vercoes's book but without such as yours and Vercoes efforts, much of NZ's motoring history would be consigned to history. Sure! You'll be reprimanded for mistakes but take solace in the fact that you've saved some of it. I'll buy a copy.

Thank you for your commendation. I knew before I started this book that I was bound to get some criticisim. But I am also pretty sure that I have done the best job possible given the fact that most of these cars were, before the late 80s registed as anything but their correct name. Most were called specials, some were called a Triumph Herald and one Lotus 7 type car called the Macrae was actually registered as a Ford Cortina Stationwagon.

Patrick.Harlow
05-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Corsair

I know a lot about the Corsair and my pictures are slightly better than the ones shown by markec but would I would appreciate better ones if anybody has any. For the record it is a revamped Jarvie, originally made by Reinforced Plastics in Penrose. Only one was made here (see pictures) before Gordon Johns purchased the moulds and made a further two. Ford were not happy with the Corsair name being used and got grumpy.

Steve Holmes
05-15-2012, 05:52 AM
Patrick,

Well said Russ!

Patrick.Harlow
05-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the acclamations. I am currently approaching publishers about printing the book with an aim to publish either for Fathers day 2012 or 2013 depending on printing issues.

Next question can anybody tell me any more about this car....

Patrick.Harlow
06-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Pasted below is the full Auto Age magazine of cars under production in 1985. Please note that the centre car on page 85 is an Everson Eagle not a Bainbridge as stated.

Oldfart
06-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Patrick, as I was on staff at the AA ( and had some involvement with the article) when this was published I would suggest a little caution which I know you are doing. It would be fair to say there was a level of "commercial backing".

Patrick.Harlow
06-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Agree. I have already discovered a few differences between this article and reality but that is not unusual in many articles I have read or even TV broadcasts for that matter. In all instances the manufacturer is trying to show his product in its best light which is fully understandable. However history has proven that showing a product in its "best light" looks quite different looking back over the years when the "rose tinted glasses" have been removed. This article was written almost 30 years ago. Some of the things promised never occured or got off the first base. For instance the Ibis 7 car never saw light of day but it would eventually start production in a much modified form as the Chevron.

GeebeeNZ
06-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Patrick. I owned the Ibis 7 a few years ago. At that stage it was powered by a Datsun 1200 and box but the rest was definitely Viva. Although it was really the Chevron Prototype the next car was built by Evan Fray and became Chevron number 1. Sadly when I sold the Ibis 7 it went with its new owner to the sunny part of Australia, it was either Queensland or Brisbane. Ian Byrd then went on to build the Mini powered Berkeley which he also called the Ibis. Someone once told me the first car was called Ibis after the bird which he believed ate Lotus flowers. i.e. Ibis eats Lotus. However I have never had that confirmed by Ian Byrd
Graeme Banks

Binzy1
06-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Someone once told me the first car was called Ibis after the bird which he believed ate Lotus flowers. i.e. Ibis eats Lotus.
That's not unlike the story of why the De Tomaso Mangusta was so called....Mangusta = Mongoose & the Mongoose eats snakes--a.k.a. the Cobra!!!

GeebeeNZ
06-10-2012, 10:09 AM

Taken from the Sports Car Club of NZ magazine March 1984

Patrick.Harlow
06-10-2012, 07:31 PM
It is true that Ian Byrd used the name Ibis becasue it was very fond of the Lotus. However the car was never a Berkeley. It was at best inspired by a Berkekey. Keeping it short.... It all started when.....

Auckland vintage restorer Wallace McNair at one stage owned a Berkeley and with the arrival and success of the Mini he decided to build a Berkeley-styled car in New Zealand that would use the Mini front suspension, a beam axle with Mini hubs. The A series motor would be dropped in favour of using a more modern 550cc Suzuki two-stroke. This was never finished.

Ian Byrd heard about the project and bought the unfinished prototype off Wallace in 1985 he immediately gave the car the Ibis name as well. He then set about widening the car to take the entire Mini front and rear subframes. Unfortunately this car was accidentally destroyed when it fell off a truck on the Auckland motorway after some children had released the rope tethering it.

It could have all ended there but with the help Tim Monk-Mason and another prototype was made from a new plug using bits they could salvage from the first car. This time the project was virtually all Mini with the original Berkeley live axle replaced with Mini trailing arms and coil over shocks. Although it looked like a Berkeley it was a different car with the moulds being taken off a totally new buck. If the two cars were parked side by side the Ibis would have been the slightly longer, wider and the more rounded of the two. Although it resembled the Berkeley, it was clearly an evolution and not a replica. Only about 10 were ever produced.

Below an original Berkeley.

Tim Monk Mason sitting in the Ibis buck

The car was later completely remade. Going by the name of RD Wasp and had more than a passing resemblance to the Cobra in everything but scale. Ian Byrd had nothing to do with this Composites International design. Six of these were built and it is believed that only one remains in New Zealand.

Ross Hollings
06-14-2012, 02:59 AM
Interested to read about the Ibis and Wasp,I was asked to get involved with the project and helped built the original floor pan mould with Ian,[This through my being involved in the Fibreglass industry for 25 years ,Ultralite Aircraft Ltd,Bruce Stratton and Rob Trainer [based originally at Ardmore Aerodrome and the Papakura],took over the project and created the Wasp,now these guys in my opinion the BEST producers off fibreglass compoments in NZ,[this before carbon fibre etc].They were such perfectionists that they would not release the kit till everything was absolutely perfect.I took one of the car for a drive one time and it was fantastic,the finish excellent,it was very hard to see that the car was built iut off FRP as all compoments were router cut on the edges so had very sharp finishes.
The only other person I ever came across with similar skills is Ferris De Joux who I supplied a lot of raw materials for his various projects.Ferris could make a pattern quicker than anyone i had come across,but i give the quality award to the Ultralite boys.
Ferris was involved with a bus design project which was going to finish up in production in China,he needed to make seats for the bus ,so he used a section from a Brabham nose mould he had as the back portion of the seat,just the correct contour to,and very comfortable.Wish i had bought a Wasp now,it would be great fun,they had a photo on their wall of a Cobra and Wasp together,very very similar.
Ross

Patrick.Harlow
06-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Composites International have always produced high quality fibreglass products and it is either Rob Trainer or Bruce Stratton driving the Wasp above. They also made the body panels for the Phil Weir GT40 cars. Below is a picture of the RD Wasp with an Almac 427SC Cobra.

The moulds for this car are still owned by Composites International.

Ross Hollings
06-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Patrick,Great photo,Bruce Stratton is driving the Wasp,if i recall what killed it off is the regulations pertaining to kit cars,I can remember being on their premises and they would do something like rear suspension mounts,have it inspected and the rules would change[or would be changed on them] and they would have to redo it,no short cut for these boys,new patterns new moulds etc etc and then re submit......it was all very frustrating for them.
Rosco

Patrick.Harlow
06-15-2012, 09:07 AM
You are absolutely right. They were building this car at the same time as when all the new regulaltions were coming out. One of the most frustrating things for them is that they were told the original Mini brakes were not good enough despite them being fitted to a much lighter car. They modified the design to take honda discs and callipers. It definately stopped then.

One of the main things that killed it off in the end was sudden influx of Japanese imports. It was Japanese imports that put many small volume car producers out of business in that era. Up to that point their were a lot of uniqueluy designed New Zealand Cars. Once the dust had settled all that were left were Lotus 7, MG TD, Cobra and a few other replicas.

Almac tried to be original in the early 90s, with the Almac Sabre but by that time they could not compete with cheap Japanese pocket rockets and production stopped after only 15 or so cars had been made. That aside the Saker is still in production and the Murtya is the newest original car trying to get into this market and maybe will be ok. Bothe the Saker and the Murtaya are based on Subaru running gear.

I went for a ride in a RD Wasp a couple of years ago and it still is a brilliant fun little car.

The Murtaya.

Ekwah
10-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Have you included MER, Maramata Engineering built 5 or 6 single seat race cars and 3 sports cars in the late '60s. all except 1 had rear mounted Mini endines. I wrote a breif history a couple of years ago for Historic Racing Drvers Magazine, which I could send you if interested. The then owner of Matamata Engineering, Alan Pepper is still arround as well..

Patrick.Harlow
10-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Have you included MER, Maramata Engineering built 5 or 6 single seat race cars and 3 sports cars in the late '60s. all except 1 had rear mounted Mini endines. I wrote a breif history a couple of years ago for Historic Racing Drvers Magazine, which I could send you if interested. The then owner of Matamata Engineering, Alan Pepper is still arround as well..

No. I have never heard of this car and yes I am interested especially if the three sports cars were intended to be road legal as this is the focus on my book.

My book is now in its final draft so I am now doing all those little tidy up tasks before it goes to the publishers in February of next year. The aim is to have it on book shelves for Fathers Day and Christmas 2013.

Alasdair Brass
03-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Hi,
A friend of mine owns serial #2 Cherub(Moke look-alike) and has the original rego papers showing one of the Eversons as the first owner. He never knew what it was until I sent him the information from this forum.

Regards
Al

Patrick.Harlow
03-25-2013, 02:06 AM
Hi,
A friend of mine owns serial #2 Cherub(Moke look-alike) and has the original rego papers showing one of the Eversons as the first owner. He never knew what it was until I sent him the information from this forum.

Regards
Al

That sounds amazing. The book went to the publishers two weeks ago with a very poor quality picture of the Cherub. If you can give me your friends contact details I will follow up as I don't think it is too late yet.

Tamarillo
06-10-2013, 02:02 AM
My Sister's old Ibis...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Ibis1.jpg

I think that is IBIS Berkely number one. Certainly that is paint colour we used and I think I recall those wheels too. It was at a few shows and did a few test drives.

Tamarillo
06-10-2013, 03:15 AM
To Patrick Harlow - Mostly right Sir.
The Berkeley shell did indeed fall of back of truck and that is when I came on board. We both wanted simple light small easy cars to gymkhana and do sprints in.
We cut the ruined shell in half and spaced it 6 inches and started adding foam and bog everywhere to build up a shape. Underneath was the Berkeley. We wanted to pay homage to it without copying it. We used a shape that grew organically - we would add a flare and then reduce it. Add a bulge and add more maybe. We went through several nose jobs.
I worked 3 to 11.40 at the time and would work on it from 9 till 2 most day and all days off. We were both Psychiatric nurses though Ian had left by then to work as a drug company rep.
It is fair to say it was Ian’s design in terms of engineering but I would claim to have done a lot of hard graft, modelling, mould making, and design in terms of shape. Ian had great ideas and skill but did not always see his stuff through – hence he sold off what became the Chevron.
Originally we intended to make only 2 shells so the moulds we made needed only be simple and work twice. But when a friend from SPCNZ saw it and wanted one it went a bit bonkers. We ended up having a new moulds made professionally so as to last longer.
Our first glass maker was in West Auckland (Avondale/New Lynn/Henderson somewhere – I can’t recall) NOT Ardmore - they came into it later.
No one helped us in these early days. We worked in Ian’s garage then in a loft at Evan Fray of Chevron fame's place in Henderson. He helped with a few details like brackets etc. A great chap.
The first cars were pure glass with no metal. Foam beams and carbon fibres provided strength.
After the first maybe 4 or 5 cars were made (and still we did not have our own) we decided to take it further and went to Ardmore where they improved the foam beams and other structural details. Their expertise was invaluable though they cost us more! A few more cars were made there and then we scrapped the foam and added a steel frame to make the sills strong and provide seat belt points.
Ian was a very clever man indeed. But he then wanted what he considered his baby to himself and cut me out wanting to expand, and thinking there was a much bigger market for them (I had been doing sales). I did not think there was a big market and so took a body chassis unit with me and built my own car. As was often the case no company was set up and no legal structure was formed so I was out on a limb.
Ian did not sell more than maybe 1 or 2 more cars, and indeed the NZ market really was not there for more than a few. He wanted to sell to Australia and I had disagreed but they never did get into Aus. as their ADR had just been introduced and it would have cost a lot to comply.
Around about then Ian developed a slid beam rear axle system to replace the mini trailing arms - based on what a lot of mini 7 racers were using. I think the idea was too take bigger wheels.
He sold out to Ardmore who remodelled it and I must say improved the fibre glass and details, reshaped the nose, added bigger arches, and later made the wasp. A better machine though I did not like the new look - too much of a mini-me Cobra.
Much later the mould turned up in Brightwater outside Nelson in a place that was actively exporting nice mini’s to Japan when they were still cheap here. They made a few cars though I have not managed to get any reply from messages left for them so don’t know how many.
My own car had a lovely hot motor and was mostly built with new parts from the old BMC warehouse in Mt wellington. I never really used it as it left somewhat of a sour taste in my mouth and sold it and it went to Germany!

Tamarillo
06-10-2013, 03:22 AM
Not sure about this Ross. Don't mean to be rude but the first buck and moulds were all done by me and Ian in his garage in Henderson with no help from anyone.
I did an awful lot of glass and bog work, made many moulds and we laid up the basic floorpan buck and took moulds.

Where abouts and at what stage were you involved?

Tim Monck-Mason

Interested to read about the Ibis and Wasp,I was asked to get involved with the project and helped built the original floor pan mould with Ian,[This through my being involved in the Fibreglass industry for 25 years ,Ultralite Aircraft Ltd,Bruce Stratton and Rob Trainer [based originally at Ardmore Aerodrome and the Papakura],took over the project and created the Wasp,now these guys in my opinion the BEST producers off fibreglass compoments in NZ,[this before carbon fibre etc].They were such perfectionists that they would not release the kit till everything was absolutely perfect.I took one of the car for a drive one time and it was fantastic,the finish excellent,it was very hard to see that the car was built iut off FRP as all compoments were router cut on the edges so had very sharp finishes.
The only other person I ever came across with similar skills is Ferris De Joux who I supplied a lot of raw materials for his various projects.Ferris could make a pattern quicker than anyone i had come across,but i give the quality award to the Ultralite boys.
Ferris was involved with a bus design project which was going to finish up in production in China,he needed to make seats for the bus ,so he used a section from a Brabham nose mould he had as the back portion of the seat,just the correct contour to,and very comfortable.Wish i had bought a Wasp now,it would be great fun,they had a photo on their wall of a Cobra and Wasp together,very very similar.
Ross

Tamarillo
06-10-2013, 03:26 AM
The first Chevrons had fibreglass made by me and Ian - we made some to repay his kindness for use of his space in his loft!

You are right that they were based on Viva suspension too.

Tim Monck-Mason

Patrick. I owned the Ibis 7 a few years ago. At that stage it was powered by a Datsun 1200 and box but the rest was definitely Viva. Although it was really the Chevron Prototype the next car was built by Evan Fray and became Chevron number 1. Sadly when I sold the Ibis 7 it went with its new owner to the sunny part of Australia, it was either Queensland or Brisbane. Ian Byrd then went on to build the Mini powered Berkeley which he also called the Ibis. Someone once told me the first car was called Ibis after the bird which he believed ate Lotus flowers. i.e. Ibis eats Lotus. However I have never had that confirmed by Ian Byrd
Graeme Banks

Tamarillo
06-10-2013, 03:29 AM
trying to place the green ibis - did your dad work at airnz?

tim Monck-mason

Dad's old Chevron...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/chevron.jpg

The corner of Dad's old Ibis...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/de%20Joux%20Mini%20GT/10.jpg

Tamarillo
06-10-2013, 03:39 AM
Interesting that they have wasp moulds still. Maybe they sold teh old ibis moulds off to Mini people in Brightwater. certainly teh Japanese cars are Ibis shaped.

PS. Dont quite agree that the wasp was completly new and had nothing to do with Ibis - always thought of it as development and structural/quality improvement.

Yours,
Tim Monck-Mason

Composites International have always produced high quality fibreglass products and it is either Rob Trainer or Bruce Stratton driving the Wasp above. They also made the body panels for the Phil Weir GT40 cars. Below is a picture of the RD Wasp with an Almac 427SC Cobra.

The moulds for this car are still owned by Composites International.

John McKechnie
06-10-2013, 05:42 AM
I have a F10 in my workshop for a hood and tonneau cover.
How many out there have heard or seen one of these 4 cars?

Tamarillo
06-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Ross

Paul Wilkinson
06-10-2013, 10:04 AM
trying to place the green ibis - did your dad work at airnz?

tim Monck-mason

Hi Tim,

As you say, we were told that the blue car was the first one. The doors pretty much wanted to open when you went over a bump - it was pretty 'flexible' but a fun wee car. Dad bought the green Ibis off Ian Byrd, it was sold some time later to a Mini collector in Hamilton, whose name I can dig up if you are interested. I would have bought it myself as everything had been rebuilt on it but I had an Aussie Clubman GT, A de Joux Mini GT, a spare de Joux Mini GT shell and an S4 Lotus 7 at the time. I wish now that I had sold the Clubman GT for it...

I liked the Wasp - the quality was great but there just wasn't the room for the Cobra nose treatment. Give me the Ibis any day, it had better proportions and its own identity...

Oh yeah, no, Dad didn't work for Air NZ.

Cheers,

Paul.

Tamarillo
06-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Hi Paul, yes they were emmm flexible. I regretted not putting a big metal brace bar between my door jams and not bothering with the door. wasp was far better made but I do agree that the nose did not work. Maybe like me you preferred the Ac Ace and early 289 Cobra over the 427.

Scary to recall that no one tested the things when we registered them!

Yes i recall the green one now too - did it come with a Lyn Rogers engine? we had one and swapped it to different cars - it was too much power for the wee thing and made the steering very twitchy!

Paul Wilkinson
06-13-2013, 08:53 AM
The green one had a very nice 1275cc but I doubt it was a spec that would have justified Lynn Rogers being involved. I must confess to liking all the different Cobras, for different reasons. My issue with the Wasp is that they were trying to include a detail they didn't have room for and it just looks too small and cramped. The initial styling was a great success in my opinion. There was a complete kit sold cheap 18 months ago, I wish I'd bought it!

John B
06-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Hi Patrick,
Here are a few images of my Toyota 18RG powered Chevron. I also have a large collection of very early (ie: from issue #1) Chevron Car Club magazines with features on all the early cars, race results, club cartoons etc. Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers, John

John B
06-13-2013, 12:59 PM

John B
06-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Patrick. Here are some images of my Porsche Carrera 3.0 litre powered McRae 550 Spyder...

John B
06-13-2013, 01:22 PM
And here are a few more taken during the Dunlop Targa. It was a bloody fast car!

John B
06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Patrick, my third NZ built car was the Almac Sabre S2. I'm sure you have plenty of images of these, but here are a few you may not have seen.

Cheers, John

John B
06-13-2013, 02:01 PM
And finally here are some more recent images of the Sabre...

CobraV8
06-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Do you need any Cobra photos? http://s835.photobucket.com/user/cobrav8/media/CobraatWhittakers20041.jpg.html?sort=3&o=83

Oldfart
06-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Guys, please be fair to Patrick! We all know more than he has been able to accept :) but he did have to draw a line somewhere. Hopefully he will come out with a second edition using the material he has been offered in hindsight.

escorthvn
06-22-2013, 01:40 AM
There is Heron in my workshop that gets pushed in and out each day that has been there for years.Most of it is there but needs resto.
A reasonable offer may temp the owner to sell it.
Peter.

Oldfart
06-22-2013, 02:57 AM
PM Peter.

Patrick.Harlow
06-25-2013, 06:54 AM
It has been great catching up on the posts on this thread. Lately I have been pretty distracted with the book. Its official title is "New Zealand Manufactured Cars - A Cottage industry. Having seen the final pdf version I can say that it is contains over 300 pages of unique NZ cars on what I think is slightly less than A4 size paper. Thanks to all those that sent me pictures especially ones of the Everson Cherub as I was scraping the bottom of the barrel with those.

The publisher has also asked me to take preorders which are being sold for $45-00 in hard cover format. Expected delivery time is in September. Production this stage is a print run of 1000 or 2000 copies. Publisher yet to decide. If you want a copy let me know. I hope that I am not being too forward and asking this on this site.

Patrick

Oldfart
06-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Patrick, no disrespect and thank you for the work, it is long overdue, however we have had a number of release dates, and as a result I will not pre-order. Had this been closer to some of the previous times, no question. Congratulations for the work you have undertaken, and please accept that most of the comments have been well intentioned.

markson
06-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Hi Patrick. It looks like you can cross Oldfart of the list, but I am more than happy to pay up front.Would you PM me, payment details
Maybe you could sign my copy and number it number 1.It could be worth a few bucks in a 100 years time (lol). Markson

Patrick.Harlow
06-25-2013, 07:57 PM
No Worries. I well and truly know that you can never make everybody happy. Although in this instance I am pretty sure that Oldfart is not talking about my book but others that have made similar promises. I think that this is the first time I have given a publisher date on this forum so there have never been any changes. From about January last year if anybody had ever asked me for when I wanted to see it in print the aim has always been to have it on the bookshelves for Fathers Day 2013.

Orders will be taken but I will take no money until I have the books in my hands.

Oldfart
06-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Post #85
I am currently approaching publishers about printing the book with an aim to publish either for Fathers day 2012 or 2013 depending on printing issues.

Patrick.Harlow
06-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Still no worries. I shall avoid making lots of promises in the future. :)

(Took me a while to figure out how to add the smiley face.)

Oldfart
06-26-2013, 05:49 AM
That should have had a smiley. I still admire what you are doing.

markson
06-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Oldfart!

Knowing Patrick,and understanding the tremendous amount of time and effeat that he must have put into bringing this book to use, I for one don't care if it is Fathers day 2015, before it arrives,baring in mind that God said he would return, and we are all still waiting.
I think I might have to go and see him instead.

Maybe you should write your own book.
I am putting a book together myself based on one off cars built in NZ.
Here is a photo of the type of the many one off's, that were built in NZ.

This one was built in South Africa
I think they copyied the Trekka.

I have called it a MK1 NIECAONE PEDALLA???.Markson

Oldfart
06-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Markson. I have written books

markson
06-27-2013, 06:46 AM
Oldfart
Here's me thinking that you are quite knowledgeable,
now I see that you get your info out of a book:confused: (lol)

My book will only feature cars that were one off built only
Such as the Everson Eagle, and many other's that I can remember seeing over the last 60 odd years, and probably many more that I have never seen.
I wonderer have many people can remember what color the Everson Eagle was, and what motor it had in it without reading about it, or asking someone who does.:cool:
For all those who can???PM me. Markson

markson
06-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Markson

markson
06-30-2013, 04:42 PM

Racefan
07-01-2013, 05:46 AM
Oldfart

Such as the Everson Eagle, and many other's that I can remember seeing over the last 60 odd years, and probably many more that I have never seen.
I wonderer have many people can remember what color the Everson Eagle was, and what motor it had in it without reading about it, or asking someone who does.:cool:

318 crysler from memory

markson
07-01-2013, 02:29 PM

Patrick.Harlow
07-02-2013, 06:55 AM
[QUOTE=markson;30291]Oldfart

QUOTE]

The colour is hard for me to pick as I am blessed with colour blindness. However I pretty sure that it was the colour shown below. (Awesome picture recently acquired)

Unfortunately it will not be able to go in Marksons book either as a second car was started. However I am not sure how close it was to being finished before both cars were sold to raise some urgently needed cash. This removes it from the realms of a being one off. There should have been lots more but sadly it was not to be.

markson
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Hi Patrick
My book will feature one off cars only ,regarless of how many were started, it will only feature cars that were built,
completed,registered and driven on the road. Until a car is registered, legally it is only a pile of assemble motor parts. Markson

07-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Hi Patrick
My book will feature one off cars only ,regarless of how many were started, it will only feature cars that were built,
completed,registered and driven on the road. Until a car is registered, legally it is only a pile of assemble motor parts. Markson

so that means any and all kit cars will be in your book Markson? They are all as individuall as the owner

Patrick.Harlow
07-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Hi Patrick

The question will always remain. "But was the second Eagle finished?" The first Eagle is now being lovingly restored by its current owner and is currently an unregistered pile of parts. The length being taken to do it right will put this car in wining concurs condition when it is finished.

markson
07-02-2013, 08:40 PM
I cannot remember Everson starting another Eagle, as not long after he was starting the EMW's. I know only 1 EMW went onto the road at that time, but he was building three,I nearly traded a Falcon GT, at that time, for 1 of the 3 that he was building ??? Markson

markson
07-05-2013, 03:40 PM
I guess Cliffs forman of that time would have all the info
His name was Grant, cannot remeber his second name ,
but I nick named him ( YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN )
as he would always ended a sentence, with YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN .Markson

Tamarillo
07-07-2013, 10:23 AM
The green one had a very nice 1275cc but I doubt it was a spec that would have justified Lynn Rogers being involved. I must confess to liking all the different Cobras, for different reasons. My issue with the Wasp is that they were trying to include a detail they didn't have room for and it just looks too small and cramped. The initial styling was a great success in my opinion. There was a complete kit sold cheap 18 months ago, I wish I'd bought it!

Totally agree. cobra is fantastic BUT needs the size to pull it off. Use too much flares and nose on a tiny car like the Ibis and it just could not pull it off. We went through many nose designs and I recall many hours of sweat trying to come up with something that would take height of a mini motor without being too long in front overhang or having huge gaping nose. I put a cross bar through the grill and two tone paint on mine to brake up the mass of the nose opening.

markson
07-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Hi All
I had a nice long chat with Patrick Harlow today, who had come up from Wellington. I wish him every succsess in the publishing of his new book, and ask every like minded petrol head or enthusiast, in this forum to give him, there deseving support.Markson

kiwi g
08-17-2013, 05:19 AM
2057820579Hello . can anyone help me with this cars identity .. fibreglass body ,front of the vehicle looks like bugeye sprite without the eyes . i would say possibly austin 7-10 running gear , maybe ford . .. reason for this presumption is the narrow wheel track short wheel base . looking at the moulding it certainly looks to have been from a mold and not a one off . sorry about the pics its in an awkward area to photograph . any help or suggestions would be apprieciated. . location south island .. Iwas thinking of making a hillclimber out of it with motorbike engine ..

Kwaussie
08-17-2013, 06:20 AM
Looks very like a Tiki fiberglass body - maybe three were made.
Bill Ashton & Ted George from Dunedin and/or Christchurch were involved

woody
08-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Kiwi G, I see that New Zealand Fiberglass Ltd. is owned by Ted George ( George & Ashton ). Business address is 109 Morrin Road, Panmure, Auckland.

Paul Wilkinson
08-17-2013, 07:03 AM
That's lovely! Definately a Tiki if Graham Vercoe's book is correct. The same source says they were designed for Ford 10 mechanicals. None of my business but you could make something fantastic and collectable with a period build. Not sure the design is really congruent with a bike engined theme...

Paul Wilkinson
08-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Kiwi G, I see that New Zealand Fiberglass Ltd. is owned by Ted George ( George & Ashton ). Business address is 109 Morrin Road, Panmure, Auckland.

Vercoe's book said an unfinished Tiki was offered in 1989 by Ted George's estate...

Oldfart
08-17-2013, 07:35 AM
I have an inkling the doors are missing. Measuring the wheelbase as it sits would give a clue. I very nearly bought a Tiki a very long time ago from a car dealer in Great North Road. I would be somewhat surprised if there were only 3 made, but????

Paul Wilkinson
08-17-2013, 08:01 AM
Doors aren't missing believe it or not! Will hunt up a picture...

kiwi g
08-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys .. ive spent hours and hours trying to source what it was . Ford 10 makes sense for a period build .. the motorbike engine idea was only if I couldn't source the maker or history... anyone have a pic of a tiki finished. The guy I got it off was in chch and didn't know what it was .. I saw the cantwell puma and thought it may have been an early version but apart from basic looks nothing else was the same .. I could be interested in selling if a genuine buyer was interested ..but that's not why I bought it .. any information will be welcome.

kiwi g
08-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Doors aren't missing believe it or not! Will hunt up a picture...

Thanks paul

Paul Wilkinson
08-17-2013, 08:33 AM
My apologies/thanks to Graham Vercoe for 'borrowing' this content....

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Mystery%20Rooftop%20Car/Tiki_zps92147262.jpg (http://s633.photobucket.com/user/prw007/media/Mystery%20Rooftop%20Car/Tiki_zps92147262.jpg.html)

There aren't any doors - it's a short wee thing!

kiwi g
08-17-2013, 08:40 AM
That's it .. wow .. awesome . restore coming up . it looks cool .
thankyou Paul and Graham vercoe.

Paul Wilkinson
08-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks guys .. ive spent hours and hours trying to source what it was . Ford 10 makes sense for a period build .. the motorbike engine idea was only if I couldn't source the maker or history... anyone have a pic of a tiki finished. The guy I got it off was in chch and didn't know what it was .. I saw the cantwell puma and thought it may have been an early version but apart from basic looks nothing else was the same .. I could be interested in selling if a genuine buyer was interested ..but that's not why I bought it .. any information will be welcome.

Funny you should mention the Puma. I saw a neat looking car on a rooftop in Lyttelton - made more mysterious by the fact the building doesn't look to have vehicle access! The Puma was the first car I thought of but it didn't quite feel right, then the Tiki popped into my head but I've never heard of it being developed into a coupe. Whatever it is, I think it's neat! Doeas anyone know what it is? I'm sure once Patrick sees it he'll enlighten us!

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Mystery%20Rooftop%20Car/Rooftop_zps681f503a.jpg (http://s633.photobucket.com/user/prw007/media/Mystery%20Rooftop%20Car/Rooftop_zps681f503a.jpg.html)

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Mystery%20Rooftop%20Car/Rooftop1_zps831c2495.jpg (http://s633.photobucket.com/user/prw007/media/Mystery%20Rooftop%20Car/Rooftop1_zps831c2495.jpg.html)

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Mystery%20Rooftop%20Car/RooftopCrop2_zpsa1c0d509.jpg (http://s633.photobucket.com/user/prw007/media/Mystery%20Rooftop%20Car/RooftopCrop2_zpsa1c0d509.jpg.html)

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Mystery%20Rooftop%20Car/RooftopCrop1_zps29850dfa.jpg (http://s633.photobucket.com/user/prw007/media/Mystery%20Rooftop%20Car/RooftopCrop1_zps29850dfa.jpg.html)

Paul Wilkinson
08-17-2013, 08:41 AM
That's it .. wow .. awesome . restore coming up . it looks cool .

It looks very cool. Good find!

kiwi g
08-17-2013, 08:52 AM
looking at the rear of that coupe and the way the rear arches suddenly hump up. i would say its the same as my roadster . but im no expert .my photo of the cars side makes it look flatter in the profile than it really is . the front guards have quite an arch to them like the coupe does. too .

Paul Wilkinson
08-17-2013, 08:52 AM
I am officially an idiot. Looking more closely at Vercoe's book there is a picture of a coupe Tiki right next to the picture above! The text saying 'two versions' should have been a clue but I thought the picture belonged to the car in the other column - which would have meant it was a Tojeiro Jaguar! Oh dear!

It hasn't got the scalloped side though, which is strange...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/prw007/Mystery%20Rooftop%20Car/Tiki2_zpsef3dd35a.jpg (http://s633.photobucket.com/user/prw007/media/Mystery%20Rooftop%20Car/Tiki2_zpsef3dd35a.jpg.html)

kiwi g
08-17-2013, 09:48 AM
that pic of the coupe beside the roadster isnt right . fronts wrong and so are the rear quarters .. the red coupe is correct tho .

Oldfart
08-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Very cool, it was ancient memory! Paul, when did you take those photos in Port? My old house is clear in the background!
The photos from Vercoe side on seem to be 100E hubcaps.
Is the coupe photo supposed to be one of the Tiki, or does it refer to the text above it?

Paul Wilkinson
08-17-2013, 09:56 AM
I have to say, with the greatest of respect, that there are a number of errors and incorrect pictures in Vercoe's book. Maybe this is one of them? Great book though...

Paul Wilkinson
08-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Very cool, it was ancient memory! Paul, when did you take those photos in Port? My old house is clear in the background!
Is the coupe photo supposed to be one of the Tiki, or does it refer to the text above it?

Photos were taken in Feb of this year after the British Car Rally. The wife fell in love with Lyttelton....

I always thought the coupe picture belonged to the text above it but the Tiki caption mentions two versions and the text above relates to the Tojeiro Jaguar which has very different dimensions. I think there was a Tiki coupe and the wrong picture was put in the book. There are a couple of incorrectly labelled cars in the book by all accounts. Still a bloody good effort though.

Kwaussie
08-17-2013, 12:26 PM
My old holiday house is just to the left - were you in the bay next to Diamond Harbour?

Oldfart
08-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Photos were taken in Feb of this year after the British Car Rally. The wife fell in love with Lyttelton....

I always thought the coupe picture belonged to the text above it but the Tiki caption mentions two versions and the text above relates to the Tojeiro Jaguar which has very different dimensions. I think there was a Tiki coupe and the wrong picture was put in the book. There are a couple of incorrectly labelled cars in the book by all accounts. Still a bloody good effort though.
Definitely a good effort, however as a quotable reference there are too many errors. For me the really sad thing the reprint was done with no corrections even after a number of people I know submitted "corrections" on their own cars. It's a great book, just info needs treating with caution (and more checking) before anyone uses it.

Oldfart
08-17-2013, 08:25 PM
My old holiday house is just to the left - were you in the bay next to Diamond Harbour?

On Church Bay point, the headland showing in that photo.

kiwi g
08-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Next question .. tiki was rear engined .. it has a moulded front with no bonnet. if so was it ford engine to vw trans . ??? its all a mystery to me .

kiwi g
08-19-2013, 12:45 AM
i blew up the picture of the original tiki and in behind the car in the bush is another surprise . looks like another sports car body.

Oldfart
08-19-2013, 03:23 AM
Next question .. tiki was rear engined .. it has a moulded front with no bonnet. if so was it ford engine to vw trans . ??? its all a mystery to me .
No, front engine on a Ford 10 chassis.
Unless of course there was more than one variety, which I somehow doubt.

Patrick.Harlow
08-26-2013, 09:04 PM
I have done some research into both these cars and I am pretty sure that Kiwi Gs car is the Anzani Special. Neither the Anzani or the Tiki made it into my book as I was unable to get enough information substantiated before time of print. If there is a second book this car should be in it. Below is a letter that was printed in Classic Driver which will clear up some of the mysteries. In my opinion the Anzani is the car that was created out of plaster see pictures below. I strongly suspect that the Tiki (between 3 and 12 made) is a UK Ashley 750 possibly brought to Bill and Ted by Peter Pallindine (founder of Ashley Cars). He was living in New Zealand around that time and in the process of producing a car called the Falcon in Gisborne and at some stage made a trip to the South Island to sell his body to raise some cash. It is rumoured that the Tiki came out of this car. More information on the Anzani further down

Classic Driver April May 2010
THE TIKI ANDTHE PEASHOOTER

I've been told that there was an article in a previous issue on the W4 fibreglass sports car I'm wondering if you have any copies of the particular magazine available?

I’m interested because my late Uncle Ted George and the late Bill Ashton moulded the Tiki bodies at George and Ashton Ltd in Dunedin and I’m keen to learn a bit more about the background.

I took over my Uncle’s fibreglass business and l used to have a Manila folder of photos of the Tiki. There were also photos of a fibreglass bodied single-seater that looked a bit like a D Type Jag‘ It was powered by a V-Twin lO00cc Anzani motorcycle engine and I‘ve been told this was used in Hill Climbs and also around the Wharf racing circuit. I have been told that this thing used to clean up (when it stayed in tune — it had magneto ignition that was a bit temperamental) the likes of Sybil Lupp in her Jaguar and also John Horton who raced some exotic piece of machinery - and apparently being cleaned up by a homemade special did not go down well there. The lightweight body would have contributed to a very favourable power to weight ratio.

It was raced at Tahuna Park and also held the record at the Bethunes Gully Hillclimb. Ron Ashton raced the Peashooter He IS 84 now and is living in Auckland. It was a single cylinder 500cc Harley Davidson engine with a 4 valve cylinder head and had two stubby exhaust stubby pipes pointing down at the ground and when given a rev. it would spray gravel around (stationery). It ran on methanol.

Getting back to the Tiki my Uncle had an uncompleted one sitting on a Ford Ten Chassis (it was stored in the old bus shed at Macandrew Bay) and around 21 -22 years ago he donated it to Kings High School — as a project to be completed. I understand that Kings later sold the car. No idea who to though.

Apparently this car was originally owned by a chap called Albie Johnston who was the proprietor of the Favourite Service Station.

Bill and Ted read about the new lightweight fibreglass material in Popular Mechanics Magazine (this is back in the early 1950s) and they set about importing the polyester resin from the UK, I understand. Bill was a plasterer and created the shape of the body (probably fibrous plaster) in his garage. Bill had come across fibreglass while serving in the islands during the Second World War – American PT boats were made of fibreglass - but at the time he did not know what it was.
This foray into fibreglassing eventually led Bill and Ted into setting George and Ashton limited, the first commercial fibreglassing business in New Zealand. Because they got in on the ground floor they grew quite large rapidly moulding a large variety of fibreglass products from tubs and vats, tanks, swimming pools, bathroom ware, canoes, DCC rubbish bins and a varied assortment of other things.

They got quite big in the 1970s and sold out to Alex Harvey industries (AHI George and Ashton) and manufactured thousands of insulated shipping containers for the NZ Shipping Corporation.

Brent George, DUNEDIN

Patrick.Harlow
08-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Pictures of a Tiki I found in Christchurch.

Patrick.Harlow
08-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Letter from John Ashton which has come into my possession. Unfortunately I do not know the date it was written or who John Ashton is.

Dear Jerome

It’s a cold wet day so I will make the effort to write this. The info you sent me is very interesting and helped fill in a few gaps. I have enclosed photos I what I think was the original Tiki. I think three were built for Bill Ashton, on for Ted George and one for Ian McDonald. I spoke to Ian McDonald once and he told me his car was rear engine and powered with a 700cc Royal Enfield engine. You lifted the boot lid, put your foot in and kickstarted it. (Hopefully it was in neutral!) The later ones (such as yours) were quite different – similar to the mistral and normally used Ford 10. You have sparked my interest and I have been doing a bit of chasing around. A friend of mine worked with Bill Ashton on his various cars and has a good knowledge of the Mainly the Anzari and the early Tiki and there is more info to come from him.

I went on another tack today and have made contact with Chris George son of Ted George of George and Ashton who has a Tiki and has done some research on them but is going to get back to me so will keep you updated. Incidentally the early one (Ian McDonalds) I think was in Nelson but unfortunately Ian died about two years ago.

ANZANI:- Was a Cooper 500 type car but very different. It had a single central tub chassis about 4” – 5” dia (I think some 3 wheel Morgans were similar) with front and back suspension (mainly Austin 7) welded on a Cooper type body. It was originally powered by an Anzani Twin MC motor? But never ran very well. Anzani also made small plane motors and it is thought this motor may have been an aircraft one. (They were used on a few Morgans also) The motor is now in Christchurch with Dave Ashton (younger brother of Bill). The Anzani wound up with two Jap motors with a chain drive between the two. They would run in up to 1000cc, take the link chain off and run as 500cc.

I believe the Anzai Special finished its days being turned into a beach buggy at Brighton.

PEASHOOTER:- Was basically a TQ midget (front engine) with a Harley Davidson “Peashooter” motor and quite popular in their day. This car was orignallu driven by Dave Ashton and sometimes Ron? The two older boys (Bill and Ron) were basically motorcyclists and well known on Speedway.

Sorry but this is the bit of a mess but I’m still sorting out my own thoughts. It will be interesting to catch up on Chris George and find out more about them. I think there could have been 10 or more built and being sold as bodies or kits many may not have been completed.

Keep in touch
Regards
John Ashton

Patrick.Harlow
08-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Pictures of the car I believe is called the Anzani.

Oldfart
08-27-2013, 05:42 AM
Patrick, the car you show as the Anzani is certainly very like the shell KiwiG has, quite how it fits with the coupe shown in Lyttelton I don't know. You have clearly shown a version of the Tiki with doors as I was sure they had. Good to know I haven't lost all my marbles!
FWIW the PT boats were not made from Glass fibre, but 2 layers of timber with cloth and glue between. The "Mosquitocraft" boats made here after the war and into the 60s were also made this way, and it's very similar to the fabled Mosquito aircraft.

kiwi g
08-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Patrick the car you show is certainly the same as mine (anzari) mine has the rear bonnet. its not the one shown tho as mine has never had headlights cut out in the front or a windshield . I will add some more pics .. the red coupe on the roof is the same shape as my car .
Their must have been more than one made .
My bodyshell is knocked about but not hacked up .. repairs havent been made anywhere..2092720928

Paul Wilkinson
08-27-2013, 11:06 PM
This is great, I knew Patrick would give us some clarification! So the first picture of the 'Tiki' in the Vercoe book is wrong and the second is correct? Was the Anzani made into a coupe? it certainly looks very similar to the car in Lyttelton. I love the way threads like this evolve...

Oldfart
08-28-2013, 12:34 AM
In this instance I would say Vercoe is not wrong, just that there is more than one version. If you look carefully at the BW photo of the car on a display, and the second Vercoe photo they both have "suicide " doors, and the pale blue one has conventional front hinges. I would be inclined to think that all were from the same stable, perhaps the Anzani was discarded as a not so good idea fairly early. If they were using the Anzani engines I know, they made a very wise decision. The practicality for sale of such an animal is not that great either. Cooper sized cars are great to drive, practical, "Yeah right"!
You will note that in the letter to Jerome, the Anzani, Anzai, Anzari, is used in the letter, so difficult to know the correct name.

Patrick.Harlow
08-28-2013, 08:35 PM
With this car it is very hard to know who is right and who is wrong. Such is the intrigue and mystery. Anzani is the correct spelling for the motor. When I originally typed up the letter I copied the hard to read and faded handwriting in letter for letter. After which a bit of research confirmed that Anzani were engine manufacturers.

Along with KiwiG I would put my money on the car on the roof being the car I am now calling the Anzani coupe but for all I know all the cars were called Tikis. My first guess for this car was that it was a British car, the Roachdale C Type, but research points away from that. Perhaps as KiwiG suggests there were three of these cars made.

Below I have reproduced an article Classic Driver (2007) which shows a third Tiki with what I am calling the Ashley 750 body. A curious point is that the letter states that Bill Ashton had no idea where the Tiki name came from as they never put a name on the bodies. The black and white photo car above and the 1962 add shown below suggests otherwise. The plot continues to thicken.

(Classic Driver 2007) MORE ON THE TIKI V8
Amongst the papers I have on the car is a letter from Bill Ashton, dated 12 July 1991, outlining the history on the Mistral and Tiki.

He recollects about 12 Tiki bodies being made, but very few ever got on the road. He made one for himself at his Sunbury St, Dunedin home and the wide body version made in their factory (George and Ashton Ltd) for a client who lived in Pine Hill.

Bill's car was completely finished to the extent he drove it to Christchurch on several business trips. Bill's car reg' number was 763.671. It was complete with hard top. Apparently his son Arron took this car South when he was transferred for work in Invercargill.

I also have a letter dated 14th December 1999 from Chris George (Ted George's son) to John Hooggonboeem, a previous owner to me, stating that he was also living in Invercargill and read about the V8 one in the local paper which inspired him to buy a "very rough body and heaps of bits which will one day no doubt be my pride and joy". He was going to use Triumph Herald running gear in it. This car never got on the road and I think this could be the car on page 33 of the last issue of Classic Driver.

It certainly isn't the "works" car, or Bill's, as this one clearly has never been finished. According to Dave Robertson, another previous owner, at one stage the Tiki V8 and the Crowe MG VS both sat together in a shed in Invercargill for many years, the MG was motorless.

One day someone wanted to use the MG for something and took the flathead out of the Tiki and put it into the MG.
It was atter that Dave Robertson put a 260 Windsor in it — not a 221 as claimed in some documents.
Coincidentally my brother Jim owned the MG VS in Dunedin for a while.

I'm compiling a list of previous owners of the Tiki and it appears its had about eight, including myself.
As Eileen McMillan states in her hook, the car has never been finished — but it is going to be with this owner!
The Tiki only needed seat belts and door hinges for a WoF when I bought it, but you know how it goes — it's been down to bare chassis and body shell, done the inside of chassis section, rust kill, POR 15 etc.
Now I have put all the Ford running gear hack in including 2.77:1 Falcon diff, 4-speed, fully recoil' motor (same 260 as came out) new suspension all round, cockpit gutted and rebuilt. A total rebuild end to end.
I'm working full time on the car and trying to get it done for McLean's Island swap meet in October and drive it there legally. So I'm going to finish this damned E-Mail and get back out there!

Just another couple of points — Bill had no idea where the "TIKI" came from as they had never put a name on the bodies when they built them. Bill Ashton retired to Alexandra and the car now resides only a few blocks from Bill's house!

From
Alan Tall

Patrick.Harlow
08-28-2013, 08:36 PM

Patrick.Harlow
09-05-2013, 06:10 AM
Another car very similar to the Tiki is the Puma produced by Frank Cantwell in Christchurch. The puma shown below used to belong to Brian Avery of Ashurst and now resides in America.

Oldfart
09-05-2013, 07:26 AM
That is a very "beggared about with" car. Nice basic shape with no real period features left!

Patrick.Harlow
09-05-2013, 07:59 PM
That is a very "beggared about with" car. Nice basic shape with no real period features left!

Agreed. Here is a picture of what it looked like before it went to America.

Patrick.Harlow
09-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Patrick, no disrespect and thank you for the work, it is long overdue, however we have had a number of release dates, and as a result I will not pre-order. Had this been closer to some of the previous times, no question. Congratulations for the work you have undertaken, and please accept that most of the comments have been well intentioned.

It is always hard having to eat humble pie. Despite promises from a well intentioned publisher my book "NZ Manufactured Cars - A Cottage Industry" is going to be late on the bookshelves. Up until yesterday it was highly unlikely that it would even make it to the car show in which 18 cars that are mentioned n the book were coming from all over New Zealand, to the Constructors Car Club DIY show being held in Porirua over the weekend of the 12th and 13th of October, to help promote it. As a way of thanking them I will post their pictures and names below as virtually all them are not members of the club but doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Patrick.Harlow
09-09-2013, 08:16 PM
The following cars and there owners not only feature in my soon to be released book but will also be appearing at the Constructors Car Club DIY show to be held in the NZ Kennel Clubs building in Porirua over the weekend of the 12th and 13th of October.

The show will also feature an additional 100 New Zealand made sports and racing cars from members of the club

Wilco 7, John Skene, CARTERTON

Tull Samba, Bill Slater, UPPER HUTT

Tom Morland Firebird, Francis Pointon, MASTERTON

Taipan, Paul Figliola, WELLINGTON

Short Spyder, Jim Short, TOKOROA

Patrick.Harlow
09-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Saker SVS, Michael Cull, WAIKANAE

Magnum Spectre, Garth Stephenson, WANGANUI

Lynx, David Dean, MARTON

Lapponia Alpina, Simon Justice, AUCKLAND

Jarvie, Maurice Robinson, PALMERSTON NORTH

Patrick.Harlow
09-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Heron MJ1, Bill Pyne, WAIKANAE

Duzgo, Kevin Giles, CHRISTCHURCH

Cheetah, Kevin Loch, AUCKLAND

Countess, David Short, FIELDING

Briford Sports, Brian Ford, CHRISTCHURCH

Patrick.Harlow
09-09-2013, 08:28 PM
F10 Special, Clarrie Ranby, PAPAKURA

Aspen Sirus, George Spratt, AUCKLAND

Almac Sabre, Patrick Harlow, Upper Hutt

SPman
09-10-2013, 04:28 AM
Well - I've been in George's Sirus - it's got a Leyland V8 in the back, from memory - and lots of scuttle shake....

Patrick.Harlow
10-13-2013, 07:15 AM
Well it is done. The books have arrived. The car show is over and I sold 180 books over two days. I even featured on TV3 news and those that are interested can follow up with the link below.

Thanks for your support and help
Patrick Harlow

http://www.3news.co.nz/New-Zealand-made-cars-feature-in-new-book/tabid/423/articleID/316986/Default.aspx

Shoreboy57
10-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Greatly enjoyed the TV3 coverage Patrick and congratulations on what must have been a labour of love. Hopefully the extensive hints I dropped to the family will see a copy arrive in time for my birthday

Bruce Wiseman
01-19-2014, 09:16 AM
I have submited information today about my Berkley Ibis Chassis# 002. The name Berkley is spelt differently to the English cars.
Mine is the same as the "Blue Ibis Buck" depicted Page 5 except it does not have doors, is red and has a safety roll bar.

Ross Hollings
01-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Met a guy at xmas that used to own this car in the 50/60,s tereabouts,ford 10 motor,interesting when he described it to me over a couple of beers he said it looked like a XK120 Jag......oh well !!!
So what is the car learned friends ?????2337123372

rf84
01-24-2014, 01:08 AM
Ching

Ross Hollings
01-24-2014, 02:15 AM
Thanks for that,where can i find out info on this type of car so i can pass on.Ken Flashman used to race one of these in hillclimbs now i think of it,Ken was tall so stuck out of it a bit !! Thanks Ross

Spgeti
01-24-2014, 02:21 AM
There was one for sale in Kapiti not so long ago on trademe. The guy was also selling a McLaren M6GT replica and was attached to that ad. Cheers

rf84
01-24-2014, 05:56 AM
Hi Ross
I'm fairly sure it is a Ching but do not take my word for it. I would like to hear other people's ideas.
If it is a Ching it would have been built by Noel Ching who lived in Nelson. Ching died in a fishing mishap (and they say motor racing is dangerous!). If my memory is correct he used proprietary fibreglass bodies-a thing called a Falcon I think. Chassis and running gear was Ford 8 or 10.

Spgeti
01-24-2014, 06:26 AM
The add is on TRS under cars for sale. I believe it is a Ching as I have seen them many years ago.

Ross Hollings
01-24-2014, 08:08 PM
What is TRS ??

rf84
01-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Toyota Racing Series? NO-there is only one TRS The Roaring Season. Go to the Forum at the the top of the home page and click on "Cars for sale".

Ross Hollings
01-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks.........senior moment.....all part of growing up.!! Ross

rf84
01-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Garry Simkin calls it CRAFT-Can't Remember A F---ing Thing. You find the advertisement?

Ross Hollings
01-24-2014, 11:41 PM
Yes thanks. RH

Spgeti
01-25-2014, 02:41 AM
I do have his contact details Ross if you want them. Cheers, Bruce

Patrick.Harlow
01-29-2014, 03:47 AM
Met a guy at xmas that used to own this car in the 50/60,s tereabouts,ford 10 motor,interesting when he described it to me over a couple of beers he said it looked like a XK120 Jag......oh well !!!
So what is the car learned friends ?????23410

Alan Watson of Auckland built the original Ching during the early 50s. Later starting with this body style he and three friends would mass produce a car, which is clearly an evolution, called the F10 special. (See NZ Cars – A Cottage Industry and previous page) Alan sold this car which was just called a special to Noel Ching of Nelson in 1955. It is believed that a further four or five cars were made by Noel over the next three years.

Unfortunately I was not able to unearth enough information to include it in my book but your car may be the third or fourth that is still in existence. Pretty amazing for such a rare car.
Below I have attached pictures I have of others.

Ikos
01-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Hello Patrick,

I have been reading this informative thread and I'm interested in the Cantwell Puma and the Tiki as I believe that they both are derived from Ashley 750 bodyshells.

I have the built up the "Ashley Laminates Sports Car online Vehicle Registry and Vehicle Archive" website: http://ashleylaminatessportscar.weebly.com

One of the webpages features the "Cantwell Puma" that's in the USA and I am wondering if you have details on any others that may still exist in New Zealand or anywhere else and do you have any details about Frank Cantwell, the builder.

Also the Tiki appears to be constructed on the same bodyshell, maybe Ashley 750 or Falcon Mk1, do you have any details on this car other than what appears in this thread.

Have you come across any other Ashley cars, 750's, 1172's or Sportiva's whilst researching for your book, if so I would be very interested to hear about them.

Hope you can help me with some news about Ashley's in New Zealand, Thanks.

Patrick.Harlow
02-15-2014, 06:44 AM
I am pretty sure that you are correct with the Puma and the Tiki being derived from the Falcon Mk1. After leaving Ashley Laminates Peter Pellandine took with him the Ashley that became the Falcon Mk1. When Peter moved to New Zealand I am pretty sure that he bought a Falcon Mk1 body with him to use to gain some capital to settle in New Zealand. I believe that Peter sold a mould to Tiki and at a later date Frank Cantwell got hold of one of these bodies and took a mould off it. However this is just rumour and I have no evidence to support it.

As far as other Ashleys go I have yet to come across one and the couple that I have I believe are derivatives of the Falcon Mk1. Still if I can help you out in anyway let me know.

ching1952
03-03-2014, 11:09 AM
To my great surprise I have seen both the red and yellow Chings in person .
I have been in the passengers seat for a ride in the yellow car in the late 70s early 80s
I understand the grey primer pic may be a car that was or still is in Puke Auckland .
I have had a ching since the midd 70s and still do .
I didn't know about the Watson connection or how to tell one from Noels cars .
Mine has a tubular chassis with Ford 10 cross members solid beam front no sign of the swing axle conversion .
I have pics if anyone is interested and would very much like to hear from anyone who has info or cars .
Many thanks
Mark

Spgeti
03-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Hi Mark, I have sent you a pm which you will find under notifications.

Cheers, Bruce

Patrick.Harlow
09-09-2014, 04:55 AM
Can anybody help me with any information about this car. Apparently it is one of two. Possibly built on a Triumph Herald chassis.

Milan Fistonic
03-01-2016, 03:51 AM
Could it be this car? The shape of the windows certainly fit.

markson
03-02-2016, 01:52 AM
This looks a little like the Duzgo in post 185
I wonder who copied who ?? Markson

markson
03-03-2016, 03:04 AM
Anyone know what make this body shell is ???Markson

kiwi g
03-14-2017, 04:06 AM
Alan Watson of Auckland built the original Ching during the early 50s. Later starting with this body style he and three friends would mass produce a car, which is clearly an evolution, called the F10 special. (See NZ Cars – A Cottage Industry and previous page) Alan sold this car which was just called a special to Noel Ching of Nelson in 1955. It is believed that a further four or five cars were made by Noel over the next three years.

Unfortunately I was not able to unearth enough information to include it in my book but your car may be the third or fourth that is still in existence. Pretty amazing for such a rare car.
Below I have attached pictures I have of others.

attached is post from forgotten fibreglass about brian fords sonata car/s in chch . wondering if he has found this site or if this site knows of his cars .
http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/fiberglass-car-marques/foreign-fiberglass/kiwis-rule-meet-brian-ford-zealand-sonata-laboratories-special/#comment-168747

Roger Dowding
08-29-2017, 06:05 AM
Have been advised by Ross Osborne from Dunedin who is a member of Austin Healey Car Club that this is a Furi - Jaguar powered. built by the Bennett Brothers ..

The Car

The engine - Supercharged Jaguar

Is anything else known about the vehicle above.??
Also can someone enlighten me what this car is - from the programme of the 1984 Dunedin Street Races.
The " Crowe Special " Race #76 Driver R Shand year 1960 and engine 3800 cc, so could be a Jaguar

Paul Wilkinson
08-29-2017, 06:10 AM
An interesting article on the NZ car industry in the late 70's. The deJoux Mini GT, Steel Brothers S4 and Buckler all make an appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUwg5zEjIQE

Joe
08-31-2017, 12:45 AM
Hi Paul
Did you say somewhere on here you had a tiki car or part of ?
I am interested in any and all information
Cheers Joe

Paul Wilkinson
08-31-2017, 01:18 AM
Hi Joe,

There was someone on here who had part of a Tiki but it wasn't me. My only connection is that I spotted one on the roof of a building in Lyttleton and posted it here although the Photobucket debacle has made the picture-link invalid. If you trawl back through this thread you should find them. Otherwise contact Patrick Harlow, he'll likely know.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul B
12-15-2017, 10:12 PM

De Joux Special 1961 to 63: Also know as the ferrari 2 were built.
de Joux GT 1958 to 1960: 3 were built
Mini de Joux 1969-1972: 20 cars were built

Does anybody have any information on the 1 of the 3 Dejoux GTs that were built in the very early 60s?
I know Ferris built: (feel free to correct me if I am wrong)
The Holden Special of which there are pic's of this car here (now red with Holden V8 and sunroof)
Vanguard Special - Which sold a couple of years back now in Nelson- (was in black and red oxide primer)
The 3rd car is what I am interested in and what the history was , does anyone have photos or any information about this machine?

Paul Wilkinson
12-17-2017, 04:09 AM
There was what looked to be a deJoux GT body being disposed of on the Facebook group 'Race Cars in Sheds' about six months ago. They were giving it away but someone had cut the roof off for kicks....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/626141350776348/search/?query=dejoux

Paul B
12-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Thanks Paul,
Its a shame these cars get chopped up
Cheers

chaindrive
12-17-2017, 10:23 AM
My old Maran sold years ago....................wish I hadn't

kiwi g
08-27-2018, 10:38 PM
Hi Paul
Did you say somewhere on here you had a tiki car or part of ?
I am interested in any and all information
Cheers Joe

if you were after the original new Zealand tiki . as in previous posts .
I have the roadster version of the lyttelton coupe version . body only .
this is not the imported body but the original Dunedin based model .

RogerH
09-07-2018, 10:30 PM
Would anyone know the origins of this car :

https://www.racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/94136/ford-special

It was meant to have been built in New Zealand in 1961.

Spgeti
09-07-2018, 10:42 PM
A Jarvie body Roger. Oldfart May have the goods on it.

Oldfart
09-08-2018, 06:14 AM
A Jarvie body Roger. Oldfart May have the goods on it.
I did try to communicate with the guy a few months ago, no response. I will try phoning him in an hour or few. Dubious to say Goodwood or Mille Miglia in the extreme!

RogerH
09-08-2018, 10:38 AM
From doing some subsequent research I presume it could be the Jarvie bodied Buckler 90 built by Merv Mayo around 1956 and later run by Malcolm Gill?

Oldfart
09-08-2018, 11:28 AM
From doing some subsequent research I presume it could be the Jarvie bodied Buckler 90 built by Merv Mayo around 1956 and later run by Malcolm Gill?

No Roger, that is Kelvin Browns car which he owned back in the day, and now still has, or again.

RogerH
09-08-2018, 12:16 PM
No Roger, that is Kelvin Browns car which owned back in the day, and now still has, or again.

Thanks Rhys - maybe the one for sale is a later built Jarvie but not on a Buckler chassis?

Oldfart
09-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Thanks Rhys - maybe the one for sale is a later built Jarvie but not on a Buckler chassis?

to the best of my knowledge, there were few Jarvie bodied Bucklers. If this wasn't in the wilds of Scotland I would go and have a look!. I see nothing from the photos to indicate Buckler.

Roger Dowding
03-09-2019, 03:13 AM
Have been advised by Ross Osborne from Dunedin who is a member of Austin Healey Car Club that this is a Furi - Jaguar powered. built by the Bennett Brothers ..

The Car

The engine - Supercharged Jaguar

Is anything else known about the vehicle above.??
Also can someone enlighten me what this car is - from the programme of the 1984 Dunedin Street Races.
The " Crowe Special " Race #76 Driver R Shand year 1960 and engine 3800 cc, so could be a Jaguar

Update ; Mar 2019;
Have been sent a detailed History of the Jim Bennett Cars the Furi's - name originally by taking letters from the main components of the first one " F " o " R " d and A " U" st " I " n.. but not quite in order.

Question?? Do I post it here ? or on my Dunedin thread - as using that for a lot of random articles - probably there but will highlight it here - have a lots of scanning and editing to do..
May take a while but " Watch This Space "..
The reason the Furi is not in that entry list is because Jim only ran in the Standing Start Sprints on the Saturday run by the Otago Sports Car Club - he didn't run it in the Sunday races. More to follow.
Meanwhile looking for the information on the Car Reg No " 341968 " - The " 1960 LVVTA F10 " Sports Car photoed recently by Nigel Watts on his new thread. -
Well it is a damp Saturday afternoon and a bit early for my evening Beer[s] or two ..

Cheers

Roger

Roger Dowding
03-09-2019, 03:17 AM
F10 Special, Clarrie Ranby, PAPAKURA

" The car as mentioned by John McKechnie on Nigel Watts new thread - now have seen three photos of it "

Aspen Sirus, George Spratt, AUCKLAND

Almac Sabre, Patrick Harlow, Upper Hutt

Thanks Guys.

Roger Dowding
03-09-2019, 03:45 AM
Patrick,

Does anyone know was the book published - I agree with Russ Cunningham, that these things are hard to do and when done " bound to attract criticism as did Vercoes's book " That of course was two books, have both and while inaccurate in places - give you somewhere to start from and gather correct information, and have proved useful over the years .. especially with all the photos provide in Graham Vercoe's book ..

As mentioned have been given a lot of information on the Jim Bennett Specials which I will put together in the coming weeks [ maybe months - as have to scan and print a lot of " stuff " ..

Spgeti
03-09-2019, 05:17 AM
I agree Roger and the book has been published. Like the Vercoe books a valuable reference and starting point on research.
I use this thread as well and my favourite it the Ching.....I should have bought it.

Milan Fistonic
03-09-2019, 07:20 AM
I have found the book to be very useful.

Puma
11-28-2019, 03:45 AM

Considering there wasn't much of the original car left when I purchased it. Only the body shell. No floor, no chassis & from the boot back missing. That is a pretty cheap comment.

Milan Fistonic
11-28-2019, 05:51 AM
Frank Cantwell's Puma at Levin in 1959

Oldfart
11-28-2019, 07:40 PM
Considering there wasn't much of the original car left when I purchased it. Only the body shell. No floor, no chassis & from the boot back missing. That is a pretty cheap comment.

Really? The original was Ford 10 based. Minilite type wheels are nothing like what it would, or could have had in period. The widened arches are nothing like what it had.
A restorer has choices to make before they start, like original, or using the shell to create something "sort of new". If it was you Puma, who did the rebuild you made a choice, keep the shape and use newer components. That does almost automatically mean that you had almost no period components as per my comment, which even Patrick Harlow, the author agreed with.
I have been working on a Buckler here in the UK, originally built by Allan Staniforth, author, and suspension guru. i have chosen to build it just as he did. That means rough, gutless and skinny Ford 10 wheels. It's as it was. I could have gone for crossflow Ford, or MX5, and more sophistication. That would have killed it's originality. Neither of us is right, nor wrong, but we must accept whatever others say.

Puma
12-17-2019, 02:21 AM
Really? The original was Ford 10 based. Minilite type wheels are nothing like what it would, or could have had in period. The widened arches are nothing like what it had.
A restorer has choices to make before they start, like original, or using the shell to create something "sort of new". If it was you Puma, who did the rebuild you made a choice, keep the shape and use newer components. That does almost automatically mean that you had almost no period components as per my comment, which even Patrick Harlow, the author agreed with.
I have been working on a Buckler here in the UK, originally built by Allan Staniforth, author, and suspension guru. i have chosen to build it just as he did. That means rough, gutless and skinny Ford 10 wheels. It's as it was. I could have gone for crossflow Ford, or MX5, and more sophistication. That would have killed it's originality. Neither of us is right, nor wrong, but we must accept whatever others say.
Actually the car original was on a space frame with Austin A35 running gear.
I found all this out about the car after It had been built into what it is today. Original or not. Who cares. I built it to use & have fun with.
If you really want to get technical it should have been on an Austin Seven chassis Considering the body was Ashley.