PDA

View Full Version : Carroll Shelby

Steve Holmes
05-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Sad to hear of the passing of Carroll Shelby, who has died, aged 89. A unique, incredible, irreplaceable man. It'll be hard to imagine this world without him. Rest In Peace.

mid-year
05-11-2012, 11:11 PM
A true legend in his lifetime,what more can you say.

bry3500
05-12-2012, 12:49 AM
very sad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Dk_Jjw3CM...helped shape my youth,

AMCO72
05-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Yes, always a bit of a shock when one of these giants of Motorsport gets the chequered flag for the last time. But he had had a wonderful life, and life-style. I'm sure he didn't want to be sitting in a chair in some terrible rest home, dribbling and wetting his pants.
And he left a great legacy which is more than most of us will do. He may or may not have believed in God, but he now has everlasting life, thanks to the incomparable machines he had a hand in, that are remembered, admired, and driven by his fans.
Chicken farmer to chequered flag......BOOM.

markec
05-12-2012, 08:21 AM
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=2254305d-8241-4cff-a487-b6521de9f19d?icid=autos_2782

markec
05-13-2012, 12:23 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10805550

bry3500
05-13-2012, 12:43 AM
thanks for the links Markec

markec
05-14-2012, 06:01 AM
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/vale-carroll-shelby-father-of-the-muscle-car-20120514-1ylq1.html

woody
05-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Carroll's first wife was a kiwi girl. He married Sue Stafford, Arnold's daughter.

Russ Cunningham
05-14-2012, 06:34 AM
AMCO72, Well said!

Russ Cunningham
05-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Carroll's first wife was a kiwi girl. He married Sue Stafford, Arnold's daughter.

Woody! What a fund of knowledge you are at times. Now what's your wife's name?

David McKinney
05-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Not his first wife, but not his last either

Kiwiboss
05-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Not his first wife, but not his last either

How do these guys do it, i can't even get married for a first time? oh well.

I didn't think she was a Kiwi? thought she was British but living here in NZ? or was it her parents that were British? I remember Graham Pierce telling me the story years ago.

Dale M

thunder427
05-14-2012, 01:58 PM
....Gee!!!! Dale if you ever Figure what the Repelent is and you can formulate it in to bottles, you'll make a fortune........MJ:):):):):):cool:

thunder427
05-14-2012, 02:23 PM
A true legend in his lifetime,what more can you say.

..with the greatest respect to the Valid point made be 'mid-year',I would like to differ!!!!...I don't think Carrol Shelby was a legend as stated so many times in threads and the likes......my opinion only......I believe he was a 'Pioneer' in the automotive industry,worldwide,a modern day Henry Ford,it was Henry Ford that stated.."you can't build a reputation on what you intend to do"!!!!.....Shelby was a true 'get it done guy'....just for a moment think back to the 'Chicken Farmer' come race car driver,frustrated by the lack of a real competitve American Sports car (and hey this is from a Corvette Man!!)...what a legacy!!!!! his success on the race track gave him the ears of the right automotive people network,think of the people that have made a living from his dreams/endevours......consider the "Cobra' kitcar industry, how much revenue has been generated by this one aspect of his foresight, Ok, he didnt start that industry but he Knew that it was to his benifit to let it mature................its late and I dont wish to offend anyone by my openning statement,I just think at times it is to easy to just quote Cliches with out really considering the facts.......lets have some open thoughts on the Carrol Shelby 'impact'on our world of cars......regards thunder427/Myles Johnson:cool:

David McKinney
05-14-2012, 05:40 PM
I didn't think she was a Kiwi? thought she was British but living here in NZ? or was it her parents that were British? I remember Graham Pierce telling me the story years ago.
Dale M
Her parents were British-born NZers. I've never quite figured out where Sue was born, but she was raised in NZ

Kiwiboss
05-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Her parents were British-born NZers. I've never quite figured out where Sue was born, but she was raised in NZ

Is she still around David? she would have quite a story to tell i'd say!!

The reason i talk to Graham Pierce about it when he was alive, i'd been contacted by an American writer doing an article on Shelby asking about this, at that time i knew nothing so ask Graham, this must have been 10 years ago!!

Dale M

David McKinney
05-15-2012, 10:25 AM
No Dale, she was killed in a road accident - possibly on the family farm in Texas - at quite a young age

Jerry Entin
05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Carroll Shelby wives:
1. Jean Fields-1943-1960 3 Kids and was divorced
2. Jan Harrison in Mexico, annulled in 1962
3. New Zealand girl, 6-week marriage [Sue Stafford?????]
4. Sandy, for a few months [Enus Wilson's ex] also known as Sandra Wilson
5. Unknown marriage in the 80's
6. Lena Dahl in 1991-1997, she was of Swedish descent and was killed in a car accident, she was 51 at time of death, she also was raising miniature horses.
7. Cleo- 1997- Present time.

all research: Willem Oosthoek

David McKinney
05-15-2012, 05:26 PM
hat's about the right time for the Sue Stafford wedding, but I never realised it was so short-lived

jamie
05-16-2012, 04:55 AM
Hi gang sad day one of world,s true car GURU,S A true nut and bolt man Rip Jamie A

markec
05-16-2012, 10:20 PM
A tribute on Velocetoday.com
http://www.velocetoday.com/carroll-shelby-and-the-osca/

Ellis
05-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Received pic in an email so source unknown.....

Cool pic then and even cooler now...
RIP

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/-1-1.jpg

Kiwiboss
05-17-2012, 05:40 AM
Received pic in an email so source unknown.....

Cool pic then and even cooler now...
RIP

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/-1-1.jpg

Only one missing is the great Ken Miles, now wouldn't that look good!!

Dale M

markec
05-17-2012, 06:25 AM

markec
05-17-2012, 06:34 AM

markec
05-17-2012, 06:39 AM

KlintX
06-23-2012, 08:13 AM
The legendary auto racer and car designer Carroll Shelby is being recognized in a special show by the EyesOn Design group. That's the good news. In the meantime, the body of the late automotive icon still waits to be laid to rest. I heard that his remains are a point of contention among factions in Shelby's own family. I have to buy a car (http://www.cardealexpert.com/) as beautiful as something Shelby would make.

bob homewood
08-12-2013, 05:54 AM
Sorry Guys missed this first time around ,was reminded about it by a friend on the weekend we both knew Sue all those years ago ,she gave me this link ,You will have to read down a bit ,but there is a bit about Sue's wedding on there

http://www.davemacdonald.net/gallery/closeups/kingcobranassautrophy.htm

hat's about the right time for the Sue Stafford wedding, but I never realised it was so short-lived

Oldfart
08-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Great article, thanks Bob

Kiwiboss
08-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Great you bought this post up to speed Bob.

I had in the passed check this website but it has been up date since i did last!! always admired Dave MacDonald's achievements, he had fantastic driving talent but died so young in that horrific Indy car crash!! I always like the way his wife Sherry was always at the events with him in those days and is quite often in the pictures.

Towards the end of Graham Pierce's(Baypark Promotor) life(May 08 RIP) i use to stop by and chat with him quite often, he had an office at Rorison's yard(Aerodrome Rd, Mt Maunganui) been related to Ian Rorison(RIP) he told me about when Shelby came to NZ and raced at Ardmore, i remember Graham mentioning the Shelby marriage to Sue ??? as he said he knew her parents, remember him telling me they "were not amused" apparently they were Brits that had immigrate to NZ. Sounds like it was short lived affair anyway? wonder if she's still around? so i'd say they are quite rare pictures of her and him.

I got to meet Shelby several times in the last 10 years before he passed but he was generally quite elusive!! at SAAC 2005 held in Los Angeles once he was the guess speaker and he thanked all the Kiwi's and Aussies that came for this event and we got to talk to afterwards!! by pure chance i got to meet him a year later and speak with him at his Gardena shop, said he luv'd the NZ'ers and their number 8 wire ability which was very much needed back in those days of keeping race cars going!! never got to ask him about his NZ wife though, LOL

Im glad i was around and had the pleasure to meet(and he never sued me, LOL)

Dale M

bob homewood
08-12-2013, 07:55 AM
I don't want to dilute this thread so Steve can delete this or move it but this was the main purpose of my friends email ,apparently this all came up for auction at Cordy's Auction

A historic collection of motor racing
trophies presented to Arnold stafford
including the rare 1975 Le Mans ‘Motor’
trophy awarded to the Gulf research
racing company (Gulf-Ford Gr8) for
first place. The four trophies include;
‘Motor, Le Mans Trophy 1975 Replica’,
the gilt metal hipocamp on a sloping
mahogany base, the back plaque
engraved ‘1975 Gulf Research Racing company (Gulf-Ford Gr8) . First At
119.01 M.P.H. Drivers: Derek Bell, Jacky
Ickx’; secondly a silver plate tankard
awarded to Arnold Stafford engraved
‘Exeter Trial Jan. 1939 A. Stafford Solo’;
thirdly a silver plate tankard engraved
‘A. Stafford. Dunlop, South Africa 1935.
thanks For Assistance in starting up
durban Factory’ and a pewter cigarette dispenser trophy engraved ‘One
Hour High Speed Trial Brooklands 1936
A. Stafford Solo, Speed 71.97 M.P.H.’.
note: Arnold stafford was one of a pair
of British expatriates that played a major role in introducing ‘500’ racing cars
to n.Z. in the early 1950s. After retiring
from race driving he became involved
as a racing mechanic in Formula one
and later as part of the management
team for the John Wyer Ford team.
Arnold retired to the Lake Taupo area
and passed away in 1997 aged 82.
Provenance: This collection of four
trophies come from an estate sale of
his wife’s effects. See page 10. $1600

I