PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Bert Govan

mark2mad
05-23-2012, 05:05 AM
Just been intro'd to this site by Dave Silcock.
I've been running the same Mk2 Jaguar in classic racing since 1979.
Prepared by Dave since day one, driven to every event, driven home from most.
She's so familiar, getting in the driver's seat is a bit like slippng on an old and well worn shoe...with about as many heel and toe replacements!
Car originally owned by Sir Harry Wigley, founder of Mt Cook Group, who used her to tour his branches around the Sth Is, adding up some 100,000 mls in the first 3 yrs of ownership. Now travelled 160k miles.
A friend recalls travelling from ChCh to Timaru in the late '60's, cruising at 90 odd mph, whereupon the red Jag came from nowhere, Lady Wigley at the wheel, and slip-streamed past him with ease as the exhaust note confirmed she'd just selected overdrive at 100mph plus!
Some of the best racing I had in the early '80's was that roadrace back to ChCh from a day's track racing at Levels. We'd all be in jail these days...

AMCO72
05-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Hi Bert.......took you a long time to get on here. My guess is that Dave has been chewing your ear about all the nonsense regarding the 'Blue Car'. I dont know you personally, only by reputation, or maybe the cars reputation. I was down at Skope last year with the Mini, but didn't catch up with you at the track.

There is a group of guys on this forum that belong to a brotherhood of 'Jaguar Jockeys' that regularly treated the highways south of Christchurch as their own personal test tracks. Fortunately in those days they seemed to be relatively cop free, maybe because most of these forays into the 'red-line' were in the evening, and our friendly T.O.'s were in bed with the missus, or perhaps not. [the missus!!] Dave has said that he seldom saw an officer, and while I did get fined 13/6, old currency, on the Leeston run, they were not as visable or proactive as they are today. Jail !!!! we probably would have to have some serious counselling as well to exorcise these rebellious tendancies.

Anyway, good to have another 'Muscle Car' driver to chew the fat with.

Steve Holmes
05-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi there Bert, welcome to The Roaring Season, its fantastic to have you here. Will be looking forward to your contributions.