PDA

View Full Version : Checking in....at last!

Hillbilly
06-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Hi all,
I've watched the forum almost daily from behind the barriers since Steve put this awesome site online.
Always had a soft spot for Pukekohe from watching the likes of Red Dawson, McConnachie and Halliday brothers with my dad in the late sixties.
Sadly, I have have no idea where those photos taken on the families old Kodak Brownie ever went.
While we didnt have much to do with them, just a few houses up the road we could often hear the Emsons preparing for the weekend racing.
Three decades rolled by, I found myself at Pukekohe once again and realised how much i'd missed the years between.

What a great site and credit to Steves dedication, giving me a second chance to re-live some of the bits years before, after and behind the scenes.
Paul Stacey

Steve Holmes
06-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Gidday Paul bloody great to finally see you've joined up! Welcome aboard. Its great to have you here.

John McKechnie
07-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Hi Hillbilly,
I was a fan of the McConnacie brothers.Their achievements in building competitive cars and Barrys own particular wild driving style.Where did you see them race- Wikaraka Park, drag racing,general hot rodding or the grass track racing up at riverhead. The grasstrack was always fantastic-very casual. Lots of old v8 coupes and sedan.Ron Kendal, Barry and some others would race at the Park on Saturday night and do the grass track the next day.They certainly dont do that sort of thing now.Very tragic on Barrys early demise. Unforgettable sight of Trevor Morris deliberately putting Barrys Raymond Mays MK2 into the wall and it finally ending up at the top of the fence. Quite a few brother combos-should we start on the Algie Bros as well

Kiwiboss
07-14-2012, 10:10 PM
They tell me Paul, you have a classic race car just about finished? can you tell us more!!

Dale M

Steve Holmes
07-15-2012, 09:34 PM
They tell me Paul, you have a classic race car just about finished? can you tell us more!!

Dale M

I think thats just a rumour Dale! I've heard stories of cars entering Pauls garage, but nobody has ever seen anything emerge again. Apparently a 1938 Ford coupe entered his garage 40 years ago, hasn't been seen since! Ha ha ha.

kiwi285
07-25-2012, 01:02 AM

Dale M

Hi Paul,

Great to see you biting the bullet and coming on board. I am looking forward to seeing an HMC type car soon .

Hillbilly
07-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Cheers Mike....Steve....Dale.
i note the pressure is building and will be in the garage if you need me

Steve Holmes
07-25-2012, 09:02 PM
.....and don't come out unless you're driving one of those cars Paul!

Kiwiboss
07-26-2012, 08:22 PM
As Uncle Sam say's, WE NEED YOU :)

Cheers Mike....Steve....Dale.
i note the pressure is building and will be in the garage if you need me