PDA

View Full Version : ERC Series convenor

ERC
07-05-2012, 04:55 AM
As convenor of the ERC Race series for pre 1977 European saloons and sportscars for the last 16 years (just about to start on year 17), thought it was about time I joined in the fray.
The ERC series is currently sponsored by AES (Auckland Engineering Supples) and Arrow Wheels. Previously, it was Leisuretime Spa & Pool Covers and TRacer Interiors and Construction.

As a series, we have worked very closely with the Alfa Trofeo Series, and share a common desire to get the T & C rules to be more workable and distinct from Appendix K & Schedule K. The H & C Commission has adopted several of our suggestions, but as yet, there are still too many anomolies or unworkable aspects, so we currently sit just outside T & C, though 90% of our cars do conform.

For the last 5 years, we have had over 100 registered and fully paid up drivers, but as all have to be paid up members of a MSNZ club, with many as marque supporters, we are not a club as such, which means that we have no vote at conference, even though for several years, (until BMW boomed!) we were probably one of the largest active groups within the north island race community, modern or classic.

I have read much of what has been published with regard to the state of NZ Motorsport on here, and appreciate the support from several contributors and from Chris Watson at HRC.

For years, we ran under the auspices of the MG Car Club, but now run under the HRC banner.

On a personal level, I have been spectating since I was very young (UK) and started competing in 1970, but only started racing in NZ in 1985. Since 1991, I have raced a standard Marcos fitted with the heavy 3 litre Volvo engine.

As a standard car, I am happy enough running it as it is and just park it between races without fiddling with it.

Ray

Steve Holmes
07-11-2012, 12:43 AM
Ray, apologies for the slow welcome, I've not been around much lately. But welcome aboard, its really great to have you here. Feel free to start a dedicated thread in the General Discussion section on the ERC series. I'm sure you'll have plenty of interest.

Kiwiboss
07-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Hi Ray, yes great to have you here at the Roaring Season!! your 16 years experience with running the ERC race series is amazing!! and your still doing it!! oh man, there's hope for us HMC novices yet!! now we know who to call for advice!!LOL

Dale M

ERC
07-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks Dale. Always happy to chat!

However, we are spending a fair bit of time overseas at the moment. We are away shortly (yes, again) and arrive back at 5:40am on Icebreaker Sunday, so it will be case of lobbing the luggage through the front door then heading down to Hampton Downs, (with a stop at Autobahn for another breakfast...) to assist our guys with the handicaps. I wouldn't trust myself driving on the track after a probably sleepless night, so I won't be racing.

Dale, you are working hard for the HMC and I know that most series are successful when the people lead from the front and you are doing a great as the concept is valid. Whilst some of our cars are less pure, the handicap sorts out things pretty well.

Whilst I am away, I will look forward to popping into Roaring Season every couple of days.