PDA

View Full Version : Aranui Speedway,Christchurch,Home to 3 World 'Solo' Speedway Champions !!!!!

thunder427
07-24-2012, 03:01 PM
....Oh,I can hear it Now, SPEEDWAY???? Solo Bikes,thats not motorsport!!!!!.......Wrong,totally wrong!!!!...very much part of the 'Motorsport' World..........I was trying to find a better word than 'Brave','Crazy' came immediately to mind.....but lets get down to our Kiwi champions of two wheel speed and chrome !!!

Aranui Speedway.....'facebook' has a great site called, 50's,60's,70's & 80's 'living in Christchurch' I think it was started by a lady called 'WENDY'..Godbless her!!...its just worth a look,but its very easy to spend a couple of hours trolling the pictures of Christchurch 'Then and Now'.....

Aranui Speedway has been logged as a thread,only been going 5-6 weeks,John Manhire, would appear to be our new fearless leader,who claims he is happy with the response so far but needs more people/members posting stories/photo's of Aranui and all other New Zealand Speedway venues,Palmerston North,Wellington,Western Springs.....and....I'm sure we at 'The Roaring Season are all seasoned Speedway 'Solo' bike fans...Ronnie Moore, 3 world champion, Barry Briggs, 2 time world champ,Ivan Mauger, 7 times world champion.......not To Shabby !!!!!

My subjestion is lets support Aranui Speedway/living in Christchurch and lets ramp our own 'Forum' and talk Speedways formative years in a 'cash Strapped' community of New Zealand, Saturday night Entertainment with a plus, each year International Stars would be contracted to ride at the NZ circuits,World Champion Ove Fundin,the English test teams,the Australian test teams............Check 'Facebook'........then lets talk Speedway...Frank Shuter Jnr (RIP)Bruce Abernethy of Wellington,Christchuch's Holland Brothers,Mick and Laurie,Bruce Savage, Windy Rees,Syd Harrison, Larry Houston and Mick Houston,Ivan Crozier.........................New Zealand Speedway history,thats the challenge!!..........with regards thunder427/Myles Johnson.......I Went Saturday Night/Aranui with My Father from around 1955 till late 58/59 when a family friend, Earl Wilde was critically injured in a Speed Car and lost his life,in his last race before retirement (RIP)...didn't go to often after that!!!!

Steve Holmes
07-24-2012, 11:02 PM
What a great idea Myles! I know we have several speedway enthusiasts on here, I really hope something comes of this.

Barrie
07-25-2012, 07:57 AM
I spotted this thread during my lunchbreak at work. Motorcycle speedway is such an exciting form of motorsport. Bikes that accelerate faster than a Formula One car.
I was privileged, through the generosity of my brother, to be able to attend the Speedway Grand Prix event at Western Springs on March 31 - a truly magical event. Since then I have followed the various Grand Prix events through the Speedway Grand Prix website with its exclusive video clips.
Discovering that an organisation that makes available live feeds of sporting events had become a part sponsor meant that at last I could follow this sport at which New Zealanders have done well in the past. Not on your life! Sky have exclusive rights. They do not advertise when they are going to show highlights packages and if they do they often change their schedule. Even then they are shown at ridiculous times.
I wrote complaining at this and got the classic fob-off. I did also begin an email writing campaign but got absolutely no support.

Barrie

woody
07-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Used to go to speedway at Tahuna Park in Dunedin in the early 60s. After the A & P Show there was 1/4 mile grass track meeting at night. Bill Veitch, Colin Marsden etc.

thunder427
07-26-2012, 01:46 PM
the year 1985.......was visiting my home city of Christchurch, from Melbourne where I live these days,( a great city to live in, in this modern world,even have thier own 'Earthquakes')....decided to visit Whitcoulls, Christchurch's Big Book Store where I came across a copy of Ronnie Moore's 'Autobiography', got to have item, as Ronnie Moore was my 1st 'Super Hero' (slightly influenced by my father's respect for him.."Ronnie's racing Saturday night,Want to go to the Speedway"!!!?? (ofcouse there where lawns to be mowed, etc)...so cashed the lady at the till,wandered out into the street thinking, how neat it would be to have him sign his own book!!!

Can Do, I'm thinking, got wheels, got time, need a phone book...probably got a 'silent number'..(forgot I wasn't in Australia for a moment!).....found the phone book,Dam!!..found the number...R. Moore/ Cashmere...Has to be!!.......so I ring it ...Ive heard 'CLICK' before....." Yes,would it be possible to speak to Ron, please"........Sound Business like......Lady said that she would fetch him from his lawn mowing duties..(thought 'Shit'!! he must have to mow the lawn before he goes to the speedway too!!).......well the man his self came to the phone,I stated my request, pointing out I was on a trip from Aust. for a few days....

Wow!!,what an afternoon,Ronnie Moore afforded me 3hours of his time to talk Speedway/ Cars/people, to a complete stranger on his front lawn chair, we shared a time for a Coffee,graciously provided by Ron's beautiful wife ( ex 'Windmill Show Girl,probably 50's style Playboy Bunny ,but much more classy!) ,who I must say kept a sense of humour considering the lawns weren't finished,so as I felt I was over over staying my welcome,I asked Ron to sign my book ( A treasured item!)and made my exit.....a fantastic time/moment in my life of things achieved....

....sorta reminds me of what my Father advised me of once when I was over agonizing over a question I had to put to the Mayor of Christchurch,with regards to getting permission to have a 'lunch time' street parade of 'Hot Cars' to promote a 'Hot Rod Show' we where staging...........He said.."Son, there is only one answer to any question..Yes!! or No!! and you will never know the answer, unless you ask"!!!!

That Sunny Day it was a, Yes!!...Ronnie Moore, not only a Champion, but a Gentlman, I believe he never forgot where he started, I thank him for his time that day and wish him well today ........Regards Myles Johnson / :cool:Fan !!!

Paul Kirk
09-02-2012, 02:11 AM
....Oh,I can hear it Now, SPEEDWAY???? Solo Bikes,thats not motorsport!!!!!.......Wrong,totally wrong!!!!...very much part of the 'Motorsport' World..........I was trying to find a better word than 'Brave','Crazy' came immediately to mind.....but lets get down to our Kiwi champions of two wheel speed and chrome !!!

Aranui Speedway.....'facebook' has a great site called, 50's,60's,70's & 80's 'living in Christchurch' I think it was started by a lady called 'WENDY'..Godbless her!!...its just worth a look,but its very easy to spend a couple of hours trolling the pictures of Christchurch 'Then and Now'.....

Aranui Speedway has been logged as a thread,only been going 5-6 weeks,John Manhire, would appear to be our new fearless leader,who claims he is happy with the response so far but needs more people/members posting stories/photo's of Aranui and all other New Zealand Speedway venues,Palmerston North,Wellington,Western Springs.....and....I'm sure we at 'The Roaring Season are all seasoned Speedway 'Solo' bike fans...Ronnie Moore, 3 world champion, Barry Briggs, 2 time world champ,Ivan Mauger, 7 times world champion.......not To Shabby !!!!!

My subjestion is lets support Aranui Speedway/living in Christchurch and lets ramp our own 'Forum' and talk Speedways formative years in a 'cash Strapped' community of New Zealand, Saturday night Entertainment with a plus, each year International Stars would be contracted to ride at the NZ circuits,World Champion Ove Fundin,the English test teams,the Australian test teams............Check 'Facebook'........then lets talk Speedway...Frank Shuter Jnr (RIP)Bruce Abernethy of Wellington,Christchuch's Holland Brothers,Mick and Laurie,Bruce Savage, Windy Rees,Syd Harrison, Larry Houston and Mick Houston,Ivan Crozier.........................New Zealand Speedway history,thats the challenge!!..........with regards thunder427/Myles Johnson.......I Went Saturday Night/Aranui with My Father from around 1955 till late 58/59 when a family friend, Earl Wilde was critically injured in a Speed Car and lost his life,in his last race before retirement (RIP)...didn't go to often after that!!!!

If anybody was wanting to contact some competitors from Arunui, I know 3 of them---
(1) Terry Keisinoski, Lives in Marshland Rd about 50 mtrs up from Briggs Rd.
(2) Barry Brown, in Ohoha/ Manderville or nearby, and his wife--
(3) Nola Brown, (Blackburn),
Barry and Nola met while competing against each other at Arunui, and Nola has some extremely interesting photo albums! Their son is Duane Brown of motorcycle tuning fame in Sockburn.
PK.
Oh dear, it's easy to have one's memory joged!! I should also mention that Nola's father was the Vic Blackburn who raced a Mk 1 Cortina at Ruapuna in the early days and used the car as a driving instructors car during the week, and one of his sons, Brian, I think raced a Masserati 250F at Wigram and other places, and if I recolect it was Brian (or maybe Frank Shuter) who ran into the Morris 12 at Wigram.

Chris Read
09-02-2012, 10:13 AM
the year 1985.......was visiting my home city of Christchurch, from Melbourne where I live these days,( a great city to live in, in this modern world,even have thier own 'Earthquakes')....decided to visit Whitcoulls, Christchurch's Big Book Store where I came across a copy of Ronnie Moore's 'Autobiography', got to have item, as Ronnie Moore was my 1st 'Super Hero' (slightly influenced by my father's respect for him.."Ronnie's racing Saturday night,Want to go to the Speedway"!!!?? (ofcouse there where lawns to be mowed, etc)...so cashed the lady at the till,wandered out into the street thinking, how neat it would be to have him sign his own book!!!

Can Do, I'm thinking, got wheels, got time, need a phone book...probably got a 'silent number'..(forgot I wasn't in Australia for a moment!).....found the phone book,Dam!!..found the number...R. Moore/ Cashmere...Has to be!!.......so I ring it ...Ive heard 'CLICK' before....." Yes,would it be possible to speak to Ron, please"........Sound Business like......Lady said that she would fetch him from his lawn mowing duties..(thought 'Shit'!! he must have to mow the lawn before he goes to the speedway too!!).......well the man his self came to the phone,I stated my request, pointing out I was on a trip from Aust. for a few days....

Wow!!,what an afternoon,Ronnie Moore afforded me 3hours of his time to talk Speedway/ Cars/people, to a complete stranger on his front lawn chair, we shared a time for a Coffee,graciously provided by Ron's beautiful wife ( ex 'Windmill Show Girl,probably 50's style Playboy Bunny ,but much more classy!) ,who I must say kept a sense of humour considering the lawns weren't finished,so as I felt I was over over staying my welcome,I asked Ron to sign my book ( A treasured item!)and made my exit.....a fantastic time/moment in my life of things achieved....

....sorta reminds me of what my Father advised me of once when I was over agonizing over a question I had to put to the Mayor of Christchurch,with regards to getting permission to have a 'lunch time' street parade of 'Hot Cars' to promote a 'Hot Rod Show' we where staging...........He said.."Son, there is only one answer to any question..Yes!! or No!! and you will never know the answer, unless you ask"!!!!

That Sunny Day it was a, Yes!!...Ronnie Moore, not only a Champion, but a Gentlman, I believe he never forgot where he started, I thank him for his time that day and wish him well today ........Regards Myles Johnson / :cool:Fan !!!
Hi Myles
This is a photo of the two single seater Kiefts that Ronnie and his father purchased from the Kieft factory in 1951 and brought to NZ to race for fun in their off season in the NZ GP series. That had more fun than results and eventually one was written off. I have had both cars in my garage for over 20 yrs and had a bit to do with the book that the photo is on the front cover of. I did not have as much luck with Ronnie in more recent time as his memory had faded from I think accident damage, but he was good to talk to. The photo is taken at Bridgend in the UK as the factory transporter was delivering them to the ship.
Chris Read-Arrowtown