PDA

View Full Version : Euan Sarginson Collection:-

Pages : [1] 2

Rod Grimwood
09-18-2012, 10:25 AM
I have been in contact with Mrs Sarginson and Daughter and we are very fortunate that they have given permission for me to share some of Euans famous motorsport photos on this site only.
Alot of the photos are from his work with Peter Greenslade for the NZ Motor Racing Year books.
Remember when these were taken there were not great big telescopes hanging out the front, and the equipment while at the time was very good, it was not the state of the art stuff that can make any of us look professional these days. Some photos Euan must have been so, so close to the action, but all for our benefit.
A mixture of Cars, Personnal, and New Zealand Motorsport History.
I will down load and size photos and try and present them in as close to years as possible. (a bit to do).

A big thank you to the Sarginson family.

Rod Grimwood
09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
These include from 1963 Grand Prix at Pukekohe:-

Innes Ireland warming up the four-wheel drive (Ferguson Climax.)

Some thing different, Bruce McLaren playing in a Mini.

John Surtees (Lola-Climax) eventual winner.

Bruce McLaren (Cooper-Climax) lapping John Histed with Surtees in background.

Graham Hill looking at broken car (Ferguson-Climax.)

Rod Grimwood
09-18-2012, 10:42 AM
1963 Grand Prix Pukekohe:-

Check the size of the crowd.

Jim Palmer (Cooper Climax)

Chris Amon (Cooper-Climax)

Graham Hill (Ferguson-Climax)

Tony Shelley (Lotus-Climax)

Rod Grimwood
09-18-2012, 10:52 AM
1963 NZ Grand Prix Pukekeohe:-

Close up of Surtess having alook at the hay bales.

Angus Hyslop (Cooper-Climax).

Graham Hill and Jack Brabham haveing a chat.

Angus Hyslop after his great drive.

Amon leading Hyslop in early stages and Histed in background.
Again look at the crowd.

Rod Grimwood
09-18-2012, 11:00 AM
1963 Levin:-

Rare photos of Bruce McLaren getting it a little wrong. He was having a second go at passing Brabham and had just set a new lap record when he got his braking wrong and spun just clipping the tyre marker and damaging the right front suspension.

Rod Grimwood
09-18-2012, 11:11 AM
1963 Levin;-

Brabham (Brabham-Climax) has a lead on Innes Ireland (Ferguson-Climax) Angus Hyslop (Cooper-Climax) in a heat.

Innes Ireland leads Jack Brabham at start.

Roly Levis (Cooper-Ford) practices in the rain.

Tony Shelley (Lotus-Climax) chasing Tony Maggs (Lola-Climax).

Rod Grimwood
09-18-2012, 11:23 AM
More Levin 1963:-

Imagine doing this to the Commodore, Falcon or Hyundai. One kid wrecks them.

Tony Maggs (Lols-Climax)

Inne Ireland looking very serious,

Winner Jack Brabham (note right hand front is just lifting)

Rod Grimwood
09-18-2012, 11:32 AM
1963 Lady Wigram Trophy:-

The start from right to left Brabham, Surtess, McLaren, Maggs.
Notice our photographer has taken safety steps and put 2 others infront of him.

Tony Maggs

Brabham smokes the rears as he leads McLaren through chicane.

Hyslop

Rod Grimwood
09-18-2012, 11:36 AM
More Lady Wigram:-

Brabham and McLaren had a great battle.

Bruce McLaren on his way to win the Lady Wigram Trophy which was his first long distance victory in his home country.

Before the race.

And after the race with wife Patricia

Rod Grimwood
09-18-2012, 11:49 AM
1963 Teratonga"-
The caption say's.

Winner Bruce McLaren waits in his Coopr-Climax while mechanic Wally Willmott completes his final check.

Wally is a member on this site and is still building beautiful cars. (look at The McBegg thread)

Rod Grimwood
09-18-2012, 11:59 AM
1963 Teretonga-

Angus Hyslop leading Chris Amon both in Cooper-Climax

Brabham leading Mclaren like this for 19 laps lapping some twice, McLaren passed and went on to win.

Brabham at work.

Innes Ireland at work.

thunder427
09-18-2012, 01:34 PM
.......Rod, fantastic,Sarginson/Greenslade,two Iconic names in New Zealand Motorsport,I've found a new distraction,Hey, how about the 'roll-bar' angle on the 'Fergy'/Innes Ireland, Wigram, grid shot,I was sitting on the grid,linked by phone to the 'Lap Scoring and Timing Tent ,would get the phone call with two Laps to go ,I would then lay out the place numbers for the Flag Marshall,count them down and act as 'spotter' for him, to wave off the winner,top job !!!,,got to walk the pits and rub shoulders with drivers...(some things your Father ask's you to do are really 'COOL',Thanks Dad!!!)...must take time to tell you the time we didnt get the phone call in time...some time soon !!!!....Regards Myles Johnson:cool:

Rod Grimwood
09-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Hello Myles, I have all these books etc. and thought it would be good for those who have not seen these photos before, and also to jog peoples memories, seems to be working. So asked family, and here we are.

Now is this the phone set up Myles, Caption says ("course clear" The Wigram trophy field waits under starters orders)

Steve Holmes
09-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Wow, stunning! Thanks so much for posting these Rod, they're just incredible! Thanks to the Sarginson family for allowing them to be displayed here.

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 01:35 AM
Photos of local events:-
Note the crowds and the "safety hay bales" mixed in with the occassional power pole. The local drivers sure went hard as witnessed in the photos.

"round-the-houses" Waimate 50 Actually 70 miles.

Winner Jim Palmer (1.5 Lotus-Ford)

2nd Tony Shelly (1.9 Cooper-Climax)

Maurice Stanton took the lead for the first lap, look at the attitude of both driver and car.

David Young (1.5 Cosworth-Ford Cooper) was 2nd until transmission failed.

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 01:53 AM
The Renwick 50

Start and Angus Hyslop (Cooper-Climax 31) and Maurice Stanton (Stanton-Corvette 17) off the first row
Note the crowd and the ever present power pole, but this a big one and it has a hay bale against it.

Hyslop went on to win from Amon (250f Maserati) who started the old car from the back of grid.

John Histed in his 1.5 Ford engined Formula Junior Lola finished 4th behind Barry Cottle (1.2 Lola-climax)
This could be mistaken for photo of a hillclimb.

Rear view of Stanton chaseing Hyslop early in race.

Tony Shelly was 2nd to Hyslop until lap two and the accelerator stuck and he sat into the haybales.

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Sports Cars

A Le Mans start with Mr Doug Lawrence displaying airobatic skills in mounting his Lola (yes Graemes father)

A Healry-Sprite doing it rough at Pukekohe.

McRaes beautiful Massarari home built special at levin.

Mr Robert Stewart locks a brake at Wigram.

Mr Doug Lawrence again, the caption says " Mr Lawrence is a Wanganui citizen, so he was not calling at the Waimate Council chamber to pay his rates"

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Saloon racing

Renwick and Jim Mullins cruising in his Mini-Cooper, interesting mix behind.

Athol McBeath 3.8 Jaguar at Levin.

Kerry Grant (A40) leading a little sideways Dennis Marwood (Humber 80) at Pukekohe.

Grant again this time having fun with Bruce McLaren (Mini-Cooper) at Levin.

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Further saloon action:-

Nelson driver Tait rolled his Chev Coupe at Wigram but only hurt his pride. Looks like hay bales helped again.

Englishman Geoffrey Richardson made all envious with his GT Ferrari at Wigram.

Once Ernie Sprague (MK111 Zephyr) got in front of Ray Archibald (3.8 Jaguar) at Waimate that was it, but very close.

Sprague Zephyr at Waimate.

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 02:35 AM
A segment from the rear of the book titled "Looking Back"

Tom Clark, now an administrator, has the backing of a wealth of experience from successful racing here and in Australia.

Twice New Zealand champion, Ross Jenson was equally at home in saloon, sports and racing cars and spent a European season with the Lister-Jaguar team.

A dashing international-class driver, the late John Mansell gave some fine performances with, particularly a 250F Maserati.

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 02:45 AM
"Looking Back"

Shareing the front row of a Mairehu road race starting grid are Tom Clarks 2.9-litre Maserati and the home-built V8 Special of Frank Shuter, cars typical of he early 'fifties'

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 02:48 AM
"Looking Back"

The Jaguar-engined Connaught which Englishman Leslie Marr raced in the 1956 Season

a successful driver and now a shrewd racing manager is veteran Reg Parnell

Former motorcyclist Syd Jensen is regarded by many as new Zealands most polished driver.

George Palmer, Jims father and now his manager scored well in this Cooper-Bristol.

nigel watts
09-19-2012, 02:54 AM
I went to school with Tom Clark's son, whose name escapes me, & one day Tom Clark brought the Maserati to the school and did a blat up the driveway which was probably 400-500 metres long. We were told he did 100MPH. I don't recall the exact year but probably somewhere around '57 or '58.

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 02:56 AM
'Looking Back'

Archie Scott-Brown made light of physical handicaps and drove the powerful Lister-Jaguar with ease.

Lennie Gilbert, skilled conductor of a Cooper-Bristol and 250F Maserati driver in former days, is now a race commentator.

First modern factory-built cars seen here wer the 500cc coopers made popular by such drivers as Arnold Stafford.

Just as happy in a tiny Brooklands Austin 7 or this 4.5 litre Ferrari, Ron Roycroft will go down in nZ history as a great driver.

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 03:08 AM
"Looking Back'

After more than a decade of consistently steady racing Pat Hoare climaxed his career by winning the 1961-62 Gold Star with his beautifully prepared Ferrari.

Scotsman Ron Flockhart in the 1959 season won the Lady Wigram Trophy with a B.R.M.

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 03:12 AM
Familiar faces from the 1963 season. Notice Winners are grinners.

1st two are Angus Hyslop

Jim Palmer

Stirling Moss

Innes Ireland

Apparently there was a bit of humour about Stirling Moss and his beard and Mr Fidel Castro.

The results

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 12:05 PM
The only year i have missing for some reason is 1964, but i will do some looking and see if i can find it. Be good to keep in line and watch the development of both the race car, the tyres, suspensions, looks and shapes of cars and the emergance of name drivers. Word was obviously out in Great Britian, Europe, States and Australia, of a country with lots of sun, scenery, friendly people and competitve fields of drivers and a great place to have a working holiday, as you will see over time the emergance of more and more name drivers, teams and manufacturers. The Tasman Series as it became known was undoubtably a good testing ground for teams for the new European Season.
Also it shows the kiwi enginuity in building Saloon cars, Sports cars and Single seaters.
Some of these photos have sure jolted memories in my mind and i hope you all get the same.
As i said before, alot of us would have seen these years ago, but there are alot out there who have not, so enjoy.

Ok back to scanning and sizing.

Added 16th October 2012; Due to a very kind gesture from Barrie McBride who has leant me the 1964 and 1972 copies we can know sit back and enjoy the full series.
I have a bit of down scanning and sizing to do so back to it.
I will add the 1964 edition later after the 1967. Sorry as it would be good to keep them in sequence, but that is the way it is and we are lucky to see all this history.
Thanks Barrie.

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Ok. 1965 and we will start with the 2 Jims

Jim Clark at NZGP Pukekohe heading to the hill

Jim Clarks Lotus Coventry-Climax on his grid at Wigram. (note the relaxed mechanic, same footwear as one of our better known ones as well)

Jim Clark gives his Lotus Coventry-Climax engine an enquiring look jut before the final New Zealand round of the Tasman series at Tertonga.

National champion Jim Palmer eyes the Repco-Brabham-Coventry-Climax at Wigram while Feo Stanton stands by with can in hand.

bry3500
09-19-2012, 01:08 PM
These are awesome Rod - thanks for taking the trouble to upload them with great descriptions. I had a play with a couple of pictures to show how easily they could be restored

thunder427
09-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Hello Myles, I have all these books etc. and thought it would be good for those who have not seen these photos before, and also to jog peoples memories, seems to be working. So asked family, and here we are.

Now is this the phone set up Myles, Caption says ("course clear" The Wigram trophy field waits under starters orders)

Rod, Correct,it was old Army/Airforce surplus stuff and I know this man !!!but I can't put a name to the face,but he would have been a Canterbury Car Club Member,Quite possibly Mr George Drayton,a friend of my Fathers and Nelson Tillman, this photo is before I was offically 'Debutised'.....sota went like.."Myles you want a job..... (not given time for an answer!!!)..Bloody man the phone at the startline,stay alert and don't stuff up"!!!!.....................I'll get around to that time I had my arse kicked and Jack Nazer (and the whole field!!) did an extra lap :o!!!!!!!!!....MJ:cool:

Steve Holmes
09-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Amazing work Rod, your scanner must be running red-hot!

Rod Grimwood
09-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Amazing work Rod, your scanner must be running red-hot!

I think the scanner is happy that I am back at work as have had couple days at home with blocked nose and head etc. The resizing is the time consumer, but all good.

Bry, you are a bit younger and more computor savvy than me, (not as good looking, but thats another thing) I will have a tickle and see if I can upgrade but have a few to do so might have to keep on pluggging on.

bry3500
09-19-2012, 11:03 PM
I think the scanner is happy that I am back at work as have had couple days at home with blocked nose and head etc. The resizing is the time consumer, but all good.

Bry, you are a bit younger and more computor savvy than me, (not as good looking, but thats another thing) I will have a tickle and see if I can upgrade but have a few to do so might have to keep on pluggging on.
sent you a PM Rod..

Rod Grimwood
09-22-2012, 11:10 PM
bry, have not recieved.
grimmie64@xtra.co.nz

Rod Grimwood
09-22-2012, 11:24 PM
NZ Grand Prix Pukekohe Jim Clark(Lotus-Climax) leads Bruce McLaren (2.5 Cooper-Climax) Mclaren hit the back of Clark on lap 2 and put clark out with gearbox damage and then McLarens gear box failed on lap 13.

Jim Palmer first resident in the Repco-Brabham-Climax) has full flow cocpit ventilation.

Graham Hill won GP in the Scuderia Veloce Repco-Brabham-Climax.

Rod Grimwood
09-22-2012, 11:32 PM
More NZGP

McLaren showing evidence of tagging Clark has just lapped Andy Buchanans Lotus-Ford early in race as he retired on lap 13.

Leo Geoghegan in his 1.5 Lotus-Ford finished a creditable 6th in his only NZ appearance.

Frank Gardner finished 2nd in the Alec Mildren Repco-Brabham.

Phil Hill in the Bruce Mclaren Motor Racing Cooper checking out the grass at end of back straight in practice.

Rod Grimwood
09-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Jim Clark on the pit wall and Team Lotus boss Colin Chapman sitting on rear wheel, and faces of crew tell a story.

Rod Grimwood
09-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Levin International Trophy 1965

Seconds before start and Jim Palmer, Kerry Grant and Frank Gardner are at the ready.

Jim Clark takes the flag and win.

Clark leads from the start with Kerry Grant and Phil Hill following.

Frank Gardner stirs up the cement dust on his way to second place in the Repco-Brabham.

Rod Grimwood
09-22-2012, 11:52 PM
More Levin action.

A common sight then and still today, a gear bag in pieces so we can just get that little bit more out of that tight corner. This is the Mildren Repco-Brabham.

Love this angle shot of Jim Clark, this was a familiar view for competitors as well. note the stagger in the rear to front wheel size and the width of the tyres compared to the year before.

Roly Levis (1.5 Brabham-Ford) on the inside with Bruce McLaren in the 2.5 Cooper going around the long way.

Kerry Grant out of Cabbage Tree bend in the Lesco Racings Brabham had the crowd exicted as he ran second to Jim Clark for mearly 10 laps.

Steve Holmes
09-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Stunning! What year do the Shell Annuals go to Rod?

Rod Grimwood
09-22-2012, 11:55 PM
I have them up to 1972, so a bit to come.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Lady Wigram Trophy 1965

A relaxed Jim clark checks his mirrors and the straw bales as he heads for another win with lap and race record.

The bump heading to the Loop gave the cars a sort out with Bruce McLaren here testing his Coopers suspension out. McLaren finished 2nd

Bruce Abernethy in the Rothmans Cooper shoots the spray in air during practice.

Jim Palmer finally beat Frank Gardner and finished third, here he is just about to pass gardner.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Wigram

Wally Willmott works on as a swarm of photographers start clicking. The joys of being a mechanic.

Profile of Jim clark as he wins the Wigram Trophy.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Teretonga International 1965

Kerry Grant (14) and Phil Hill (48) make a good start with Bruce McLaren (47) and Jim Clark (1) on inside but Clark was first to the first corner. Clark lapped the whole field except McLaren who finished 2nd about 14 seconds back.

The Flying farewell and winner mcLaren on outside of Jim Palmer and Kerry Grant.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Teretonga

Jim Clark in a class of his own, with McLaren in background and that is as close as they got.

John Riley in the Lotus-Climax did not have much joy in the series but came into prominence at Dunedin and Waimate. Here is about to be lapped by Phil Hill at Teretonga.

Phil Hill finished 3rd a lap down on Clark and McLaren.

1st resident driver home was again Kerry Grant in the Lesco Racings Brabham and finished in 4th place overall.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 12:49 AM
1965 marked the 2nd year of the Tasman Formula and attracted a mixture of teams, cars and drivers.

Shunted out of the Grand Prix the week before, Jim Clark won the Levin round in record time and opened his Tasman Championship.

With Clark and Mclaren out of the Grand Prix Graham Hill in the Scuderia Veloce Brabham had it pretty much all his own way in the Grand Prix at Pukekohe but still set a new race and lap record. Hill was only here for the GP.

Kerry Grant in the Lesco Racings Brabham thrilled his home crowd at Levin by clearing away from the field and chasing Clark until on the 10th lap he dropped a wheel off at Cabbage Tree and spun out of contention. But he had the crowd all up on there feet while chasing Clark.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 01:00 AM
The Tasman people and cars.

Graham Hill in his familiar London Boating Clubs coloured helmet.

Clark watching the rev counter while Colin Chapman has a tickle with the carbs.

Phil Hill watching Bruce McLaren doing some suspension tweaking.

Frank Gardner in the office.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Our own Mr Eoin Young chatting to Graham Hill.

Bruce McLaren in the office.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 01:19 AM
The 1965 NZ Gold Star Road Racing Series saw some great action.
Once again safety was very improtant with the use of hay bales to shield the poles etc. These guy's were brave and went hard.

The Renwick 50 Meeting

Maurice Stanton in the big sport car crests the rise while Andy Buchanan, John Riley and Red Dawson are in pursuit.

Andy Buchanan has a dice with Red Dawson and John Riley at Renwick matching his Lotus-Ford against the 2.5-engined cars. Dawson finished 3rd and Buchanan just beat Riley to 4th.

The Stanton-Corvette finished 2nd to Jim Palmer

Jim Palmer won in the Repco-Brabham and went on to win the championship.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 01:25 AM
The 1965 Dunedin Festival Race
Once again around the streets.

Graeme Lawrence in his Brabham-Ford lands over the bridge at Dunedin.

Bill Thomasenis on the brakes hard as he watches Andy Buchanan getting a little bit crossed up in the Brabham-Ford

And if you want crossed up just watch Jim Boyd in the Lycoming who was a suprise winner of the race.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 01:38 AM
The 1965 Waimate Round The Houses.

John Riley had to wait all season to be a winner and taste the champers.

Riley (2.5 Lotus-Climax) leading a sideways Andy Buchanan (1.5 Brabham-Ford).

Bill Thomasen (2.5 Repco-Brabham)was robbed of second gear but held on to finish second.

The start and the Stanton-Corvette smokes the rear wheels of the line.
This was the last race that Maurice Stanton as he crashed into a pole and it took helpers half an hour to get him out of the wreckage. Fortunately Maurice recovered from his injuries and he had decided previously this race would mark his retirment.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 01:49 AM
1965 Saloon Car Racing.

The saloon racing at the GP at Pukekohe had the appearance of Aussie Bob Jane in his Jaguar,who pressed national champion Paul Fahey in his Lotus Cotina in the feature before retiring the Jag with mechanical problems.

A familiar sight was the back end of S-Type Mini-Coopers.

Anglias were another popular model with different looking cars appearing, these 2 at Renwick Street Race.

Lotus Cortinas of Paul Fahey (108) and Arhtur Moffatts Climax engined version along with John Ward in his Lotus Cortina lead away a feild of Anglias at Waimate.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 01:59 AM
More 1965 Saloon action

Start of saloon feature at GP meeting at Pukekohe with Paul Fahey (Lotus Cortina 104) leading out of the first (Elbow) corner followed by Rod Coppins (Zephyr-Corvette 141) with Bob Jane (Jaguar 129) tucked inside and followed by Robbie Francevic (Anglia orange and white) and some on in a Cortina facing the wrong way.

Coppins leads the field in the Dunedin street race.

Paul Fahey and the lotus Cortina over the bridge at Dunedin on his way to another win.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 02:10 AM
More Saloon action

Minis doing what minis can do at Levin.

The Prattley Triumph showing that it can dance as well at Wigram

And Ashburtons Anglia man Mr Doyle meets a corner at Waimate.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 02:18 AM
Two mates from Gisborne who had a car dealership together, looks like there may have been a lack of feed over the winter when they put their cars out to graze.

Both are having some hay.

John Ward in his quick Lotus Cortina attacking the bales at Renwick

And Rod Coppins giving the Zephyr-Corvette a taste of the bales at Pukekohe.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 02:31 AM
The Wills Six-Hour Saloon Race.

This was the start of long distance racing for production cars in NZ and attracted a variety of cars.

The start with the Valiant of Hyslop/Langley leading a herd of Lotus and GT Cortinas and Minis.

The field into the Elbow for first time, i think i can even see a Humber 90 (Gazelle) in there as well.

The Innes/Marwood Mini-Cooper S leading others in to Elbow.

Imp shows wheel angles.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 02:40 AM
Wills Saloon Race

The Hyslop/Langley went well until brake problems. Wonder how many right hand back tyres they went through.

Syd Jensen with a mirror full of a Fiat driven by Paul Fahey.

The shorter race was won by Paul Fahey and Jim Palmer in Faheys Lotus Cortina.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 02:51 AM
1965 Sports Car Racing

A pretty newcomer to sports cars was Barry Walkers Mirage, but a bad crash at Dunedin ended his racing for the season.

Maurice Stanton started well in the rebuilt Stanton-Corvette with a win at Renwick.

Familiar on the curcuits a few years back the XK120 Jaguar here driven by David Silcock.
(David tells a story behind this photo on the Silcock Jaguar Thread)

The Lotus of Barry porter chased by Jim Boyd in the Lycoming. Porter won the championship.

Boyd shows Porter the short cut at Pukekohe, imagine doing this in a modern car, even back then I think the backside would have tightened.

Rod Grimwood
09-23-2012, 02:55 AM
For The Record

Steve Holmes
09-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Thanks Rod. I only have them until 1968, plus one for 1971, so will be looking forward to seeing the ones that fill in the gaps. You must have a bloody good scanner, these are coming out really clear.

Rod Grimwood
09-25-2012, 01:16 AM
Thanks Rod. I only have them until 1968, plus one for 1971, so will be looking forward to seeing the ones that fill in the gaps. You must have a bloody good scanner, these are coming out really clear.

The 71 is a bit different with Euan suffering from a Cooper S accident, more later.
The 72 one is actually done by some one else and is mainly drawings and a few photos, will tackle that when we get there.

David McKinney
09-25-2012, 08:48 AM
1972 was the last of the traditional Greenslade/Sarginson series - don't have any drawings in my copy...
Robin Curtis then did another in, I think, 1974

Milan Fistonic
09-25-2012, 09:08 AM
The book you refer to with the drawings is Tasman 72 put out by Organ Bros. The drawings were by Michael J. Nidd and the photos by Terry Marshall.

The Robin Curtis book covers the 1972-73 season

Rod Grimwood
09-25-2012, 09:14 AM
1972 was the last of the traditional Greenslade/Sarginson series - don't have any drawings in my copy...
Robin Curtis then did another in, I think, 1974

Sorry David should have mentioned I do not have 72 of Sarginson/Greenslade, but Tasman 72 an insight by Michael Nidd and Terry Marshall thats the drawing one. Be interesting to see the last Sarginson/Greenslade one in 72 as they show the development in car and competitor year by year.
I think the photography is amazing for the time it was done. I notice that Euan has some great facial shots and expressions.
I hope to have another look at my mums at some time when i am down there, as i think there are some more bits still there.

Been loading up next couple of years so more shortly.

seaqnmac27
09-25-2012, 11:35 PM
My father has that last one Rod, send him a private message he may loan it

David McKinney
09-26-2012, 08:56 AM
I'd completely forgotten the Marshall/Nidd one, though I'm sure I had it (at one time...)

Rod Grimwood
09-26-2012, 11:24 PM
My father has that last one Rod, send him a private message he may loan it

Can you email me contact please.
grimmie64@xtra.co.nz

Cheers

Rod Grimwood
10-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Ok onto 1966: The year of the Scots.

First photo is of start of Lady Wigram race with the B.R.M.s of, on far side Jackie Stewart with Richard attwood in side of him with the nose of Jim Clarks Lotus and Frank Gardners yellow nosed Brabham following.

Jackie Stewart takes time off to show his car and make friends with the children Christchurch Childrens Hospital.

Born in Sheffield of Scottish parents, 24 year old Bill Caldwell spent 15 years in New Zealand. A friendly young man, he lived for motor racing until it claimed his life when his Brabham- Ford crashed in the Teretonga International on 29th January 1966.

Rod Grimwood
10-01-2012, 08:40 AM
A fateful start ended the chances of Jim Clark (2.5 Lotus-Climax), Frank Gardner (2.5 Brabham-Climax) and Andrew Buchanan (2.5 Brabham-Climax) when Clark stripped first gear at flagfull and Buchanan in the third row iniataed a telescopic collison which eliminated himself and Gardner. Clark, push started, chased for six laps then retired with a broken gearbox.

Amid a cloud of rubber from spinning tyres Jim Clarks upraised arm signalled that all was not well in the Lotus at the start.

Frank Gardners broken Brabham was wheeled to the side as lotus mechanics give Clark a push-start and officials cluster around Andrew Buchanans battered Brabham

Rod Grimwood
10-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Graham Hills expression of confidence before the GP

Spencer Martin (2.5 Brabham-Climax) leads Graham Hill (B.R.M.) Jackie Stewart (B.R.M.) and Jim Palmer (2.5 Lotus-Climax) on the outside, first time into the elbow. The lead over Hill was short lived.

Hill Clips the edge with his B.R.M. on his way to winning the Grand Prix.

Hill takes the winning flag for his second succesive year.

Rod Grimwood
10-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Dunlops Vic Barlow takes tyre temperature while assistant Bob Fulton, driver Hill, Dennis Marwood and Shells Owen Steel, look on.

New Zealand 1.5-litre champion Roly Levis had a good tussle with Leo Geoghegan until he spun his Brabham-Ford late in the race, letting the Aussie Lotus 32 driver through for 5th.

First New Zealand resident driver Jim Palmer home for 3rd succesive year, a sick and exhausted Jim Palmer is helped from his Lotus.

Results

Rod Grimwood
10-01-2012, 09:35 AM
1965 Tasman champion Jim Clark notched his only placing, a lucky 2nd with the lotus-Climax at Levin

Englishman Richard Attwood drove his b.R.M. steadily in second place most of the race and had the race to himself once Frank Gardner's Brabham gave up in the second to last lap.

Roly Levis drove like the champion he is to be first New Zealander home and 4th overall at Levin

Gardner leads the B.R.M.s of Attwood and Stewart from the start and they could nothing about it until he stopped with 2 laps to the fininsh.

Rod Grimwood
10-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Jim Clark had the Lotus flying at Levin and hammered away at Jackie Stewart who dropped out on the 11th lap.

Roly Levis could just about see the whites of Ian (Red) Dawsons eyes as they battled infront of a close Ken Sager and Dene Hollier.

Result

Rod Grimwood
10-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Jackie Stewart pulled out all the stops to record new race and lap records with the B.R.M. in the Lady Wigram Trophy race.

Comfortably in second place, Richard Attwood set up his B.R.M. in an impressive drift each time he went through the fast Bomb-Bay Bend.

Frank Gardner in his brakeless Brabham casts a rueful look over his shoulder at Clark and his crippled Lotus following the fateful 4th lap tangle at the hairpin. Clark had been closly hustling Stewart with Gardner in behind when Gardners brakes went and he could not miss Clark.

Rod Grimwood
10-01-2012, 10:06 AM
The bump at the entrance to the Loop provided some spectacular low flying.
Here Frank Gardner is the test pilot.

Jim Palmer in the ex Clark lotus headed Stewart and Gardner throught the first turn.

Martin headed Palmer through to lap 27, but the Kiwi had the Aussie;s measure all the way and made the Lotus one up when the Brabham spun.

The Loop bump and Stewart taking off.

And Palmer touching down.

Rod Grimwood
10-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Jackie Stewart drinks the winners champagne.

Results

With a Levin win and a second at Wigram, b.R.M. driver Richard Attwood had reason to smile.

seaqnmac27
10-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Rod you have no idea how fantastic it is to see these pics again. Having left NZ in 98, I have not seen most of these since then. I used to read these books almost annually, as I have said my dad has the 72 one, which has a shot of the Dawson Camaro on the cover. There was also a much more detailed magazine type book that dad used to have for 1973. I am not sure whether he still has that or not, I spoke to him yesterday so he is actually looking for them. However Mum and Dad have moved 4 times since I left NZ so I am not sure what they still have. I at one stage had every NZ Motoring News from about Dec 81 to around the late 80's but I think most of those have either decomposed by now or been recycled in some other way.
Anyway these books formed a large part of my childhood so its great to see them

bry3500
10-01-2012, 10:22 AM
That picture of Gardner and Clark... That's me lying on my stomach just above Gardners nose cone.. I remember the incident like it happened yesterday. Clark was my hero back then, Gardners lack of brakes tainted my opinion of him for years after ..haha

Rod Grimwood
10-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Rod you have no idea how fantastic it is to see these pics again. Having left NZ in 98, I have not seen most of these since then. I used to read these books almost annually, as I have said my dad has the 72 one, which has a shot of the Dawson Camaro on the cover. There was also a much more detailed magazine type book that dad used to have for 1973. I am not sure whether he still has that or not, I spoke to him yesterday so he is actually looking for them. However Mum and Dad have moved 4 times since I left NZ so I am not sure what they still have. I at one stage had every NZ Motoring News from about Dec 81 to around the late 80's but I think most of those have either decomposed by now or been recycled in some other way.
Anyway these books formed a large part of my childhood so its great to see them

Had a email from your dad, and keeping in contact with him.
Thanks for that.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 02:09 AM
Some North Islander must have told B.R.M. it was cold in the far south, as the cars arrived well wrapped up.

After Clark spun on the 4th lap and retired with a damaged radiator, his Scottish mate Jackie Stewart had things all his own way at Teretonga.

A classic and neatly composed shot of Frank Gardner finishing 2nd for his only New Zealand placing.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 02:18 AM
A severly damaged B.R.M. of Attwoods is lifted away.

Jim Boyd helps Attwood back to the pits watched by another non-combatant Spencer Martin

In the first part of the race Jim Clark was flying until he found a oil slick and this spun him out of contention.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 02:22 AM
Results

Dennis Marwood repeated his Grand Prix performance by nothching a good 4th place at Teretonga.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 02:33 AM
After a second place in the Grand Prix and a retirement at Levin, Jackie Stewart began his Tasman Championship winning run with the race and lap record at Wigram in the B.R.M.

Srewart left school as a laddie of 15 to work pumps at his fathers garage, and is a former clay bird shooting champio, and he sports the Royal Stewart tartan on his helmet

Graham Hill was World Motor Racing Champion in 1962 and runner up through to 1965. He completed an impressive N.Z.G.P. 'double' this year and also established a new lap record.

Despite a fairly narrow, high-revving, torque range, the compact 'stretched' B.R.M. V8 engines proved reliable and at home on fast or slow curcuits.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Restricted to stock saloons, the Wills 6-hour once again attracted a representative field and, as usual,there was a traffic jam at pukekohes well known elbow.

At Waimate Paul Fahey (Lotus-Anglia) had kerry Grant (austin A40) hard on his heels for a time but neither of these former saloon champions could head off newcomer David Simpson for the title.

Zephyr-Corvette driver Rod Coppins finish 2nd at Renwick, having to give best to Simpson who was just about to assert his Authority at this stage.

bry3500
10-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Good to see a Rover up at the head of the pack ;)

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 02:51 AM
The hybrid Ford-engined morris of Warner Collins scored 3rds in all-comer races at Teretonga and Waimate and finished 5th in the series after an in-complete season.

Third on the group 2 ladder was Ivan Segedin with the Mustang, which was a spectacular performer.

The man who wins the first corner at Waimate usually has every chance of winning the race so the all-comer field blasted off in a mad scramble for the position.

The S-Type Mini-Coopers found competition from the various Ford variations too tough in all the all-comers events, but some drivers, like R. Grace had moments og glory.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Former champion Paul Fahey did not surrender the title easily to David Simpson and the all-comer series was enlivened by lots of wheel-lifting dices between the two lotus-Anglias.

Kerry Grant with the Sebring-engined A40 found the greater swept volume of the lotus-Anglias just i little too much.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 03:04 AM
It pays to be ready for evasive action at Levin, as Humber-Jaguar driver Frank Radisch found when Eve spun the 1650cc Anglia at the hairpin.

Renwick showed the way the Group 2 series would go when honours were divided equally between Segedin in the mustang and mullins in the Mini-Cooper.

A couple of minis harass the McCallum Anglia at pukekohe.

Geoghegan's Mustang took honours at Pukekohe. His engine was so hot he did not do a lap of honour.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 03:07 AM
When things go wrong:

Wigram proved unfortunate for Ran MacDonald who rolled his lotus-Cortina in practice.

And Roger Monk whose Mini-Cooper was punched into a hanger wall.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Roly Levis with the 1.5Brabham-Ford came out on top, after a race long battle with Andrew Buchanan Brabham-Climax, and took a well earned 2nd behind Palmer

Pushers help Spencer Martin fire up the Brabham as others make last minute preparations on the grid for the N.Z.G.P.

In the colourful ex-Matich Brabham, Ian (Red) Dawson gained his first national race win in the Waimate 50 at a record breaking pace.

The beautifully turned out 1.5 Lotus 32 of Australian Leo Geoghegan added colour and interest to the Grand Prix field and finished a good 5th

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 03:27 AM
A third succesive win with race and lap records were Jim Palmers Renwick 50 rewards for his first Gold Star outing in the ex-Clark Lotus.

After leading in the first lap, Hollier in the Lotus 20B dropped to 5th but ended up 2nd when others fell out.

Andrew Buchanan never appeared entirely comfortable in the ex_Palmer Brabham and his third at Remwick was his best national placing of the season.
Note the great shot the facial expressions, Euan was very good at this.

Ken Sager led the Waimate 50 field from laps 2 to 12 coping with plenty of over-steer on occasions and setting a new lap record before retiring.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 03:35 AM
Jim Boyd tried every trick he knew with the lycoming to hold off Spencer Martins 250LM Ferrari

New Zealands most successful special, the veteran Lycoming, gave Jim Boyd an undisputed sports car title with 7 firsts from 7 starts.

Besides romping away with the sports car title, Jim Boyd brought the Lycoming Special home 3d at the Waimate 50.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 03:46 AM
This was a common sight for the other sports cars, the back of the Scuderia Veloce 250Lm Ferrari

The Ferrari added a touch of colour and class to the season and was unbeatable.

John Donnelly in the H.W.M.-Corvette had a brace of Daimler SP250's on his tail at Pukekohe, and Robert Stewarts Robat Mantis in back ground.

Brent Hawes fitted his Tojeiro-Jaguar sports car with a controversial hardtop to race at Wigram as an all-comer saloon

Sports Car fans had little chance to assess the ture potential of Geoff Mardon and the husky Stanton-Corvette, the only placing in the N.Z.r.D.c. series being a 2nd at Teretonga.

Sports car battle of the season was between Geoff Mardon (Stanton-Corvette) Jim Boyd and former champion Barry Porter at Wigram.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 03:52 AM
Jim Boyd appeared to have got the measure of Martin at Teretonga, but when mardon, who was in front at the time, had a spin, the Australian slipped by on the inside and Boyd lost ground in having to take to the rough.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 03:58 AM
Another victim of the infamous 'elbow' at Pukekohe

A variety of cars including Alfa Romeos, Cortina's and Rover 2000

A long pit stop in the concluding stages probably cost the Francevic/Borich Ford Zephyr the Index of price award.

The Evelyn Hadfield/Margaret Hough Fiat 500 moves over politely to let the gentlemen go by.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 04:03 AM
The Reynolds/Washer Vauxhall ran out 166 laps for 6th and looked spectacular in the process

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Unsung heroes of motor racing are the mechanics who work all hours to make cars raceworthy. Spencer Martin's Brabham underwent a major rebuild on eve of the Lady Wigram race.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 04:13 AM
Some of the characters of NZ Motorsport:

Jim Mullins

Jim Boyd

Dennis Marwood

Red Dawson after he won the Waimate 50 with Dene Hollier and Jim Boyd.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 04:14 AM
Dave Simpson

Jim Palmer

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Roly Levis

Another great cockpit photo.

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Results;

Rod Grimwood
10-06-2012, 04:22 AM
Results:

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 08:29 AM
This was the start of a huge change and growth in NZ Motorsport

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 08:31 AM
The Gentlemen who brought it all to us and captured history for of us to appreciate.

You may notice that they have undergone modifications as well.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Congratulations for Jim Clark who made it 3 of a kind with a win at Teretonga in the Lotus-Climax V8

NZGP This unshedulaed off-course excursion at Pukekohe did not prevent Richard Attwood from bringing the No.2 B.R.M. past the line in 3rd place for the GP

Impeccable as usual, Jim Palmer in his Brabham-Climax kept among the visiting drivers at Pukekohe in one of his happier races of the series.

Graeme Lawrence gave them something to talk about when he ran out 5th in his 1.5 brabham- Ford behind four Tasman cars.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Opening round of the Tasman Championship, the NZGP at Pukekohe provided BRM's team leader Jackie Stewart with an end to end win, his only one in New Zealand

Not just dedicated but downright patriotic: BRM mechanics honoured their No.1 driver by wearing Royal Stewart tartan caps.

First resident finisher for the 4th successive year, Jim Palmer talks to the crowd.

After making fastest lap at 104.1 m.p.h. Jim Clark coasted home to his pit with a Grand prix 2nd place in the near-naked lotus-Climax V8

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 09:09 AM
It was not Jack Brabham's day, but while he was mobile the World Champion driver and constructor wagged the tail of his brainchild as exuberantly as ever.

Never in contention, Dennis Marwood appeared to cope with a fair amount of understeer in the Ecurie Rothmans Copper-Climax.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 09:24 AM
At an informal international meeting of drivers on practice day, Jim Clark gave a few tips on track behaviour.

Her they come... Clark turned the tables on Stewart at Levin but, as had been the case at Pukekohe, there was not much in it and fans enjoyed full value for money.

The power of the Climax V8 enabled Clark to lay down a rubber smoke-screen that compounded Stewarts problem.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Lightweight Brabham conductor Frank Gardner finished in 4th, a lap ahead of Lawrence but a lap down on Clark.

Even the best have navigation difficulties occasionally, as champion Roly Levis demonstarted when the 1.5 Brabham-Ford took to the levin rough.

Jackie Stewart often used up all the track and more as he scurried round levin in pursuit of his fellow Scotman.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Maybe it was a word of advice from Denis Hulme that helped Graeme Lawrence to be first resident finisher and a good fifth in the 1.5 Brabham-Ford.

All dressed up and 43 laps to go. Stewart and Clark don their fireproof overalls and face masks.

Clark thoroughly earned this victory pot but it could just as easily have gone to onlooker Stewart.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Never seriously challenged after Stewarts abrupt 5th lap retirement, Clark pressed on to clip a well-rounded 10 seconds off the race record.

Although Gardner pulled out all the stops he was 2 laps in arrears when the finish flag fell on the Clark Lotus-Climax V8.

Jim Palmer in the Brabham-Climax had the measure of similrly mounted Aussies Gardner and Bartlett but became an involuntary retirment through engine maladies.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Elation at Wigram, Jim Clark's jubilant win-by-a-mile smile.

Watch it Richard, theres a Kiwi close behind you! But as things turned out, Denis Hulme in his Brabham-Repco finished a lap behind Attwood's BRM.

They put them together and then pull them apart and rush them together again for the start. Well thats what happened to the Mildren Brabham at Wigram.

Wigrams major placegetters, Clark, Attwood and Hulme, celebrated with the Queen of the Christchurch Boy's High School Car Club's Motor Show.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Group leader Attwood adopted a middle-of -the-road policy at Control Tower Bend while team mate Courage counteracted oversteer engedered by a more economical line.

Then with a swinging first lap waltz amidst his more staid companions Piers Courage made his debut on the new zealand motor racing scene at Teretonga in his initial drive for BRM.

"You go your way and i'll go mine" A slightly dicouraged Piers Courage about to complete his Teretonga roundabout and rejointhe race amid slower traffic.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Jim Clark romped home at a speedy 88.8m.p.h. to make his score 3 wins in a row and prove that there was no Lotus-eater down at Teretonga either.

Gardner made a strong bid to oust Attwood from 2nd until an oil line went after 28 laps and that was that.

Although out of luck at Teretonga Park, Gardner finished Tasman Series equal with Stewart and Brabham.

'Actually, the rev counter was only showing 7 thou when she went... would you believe 10?' Piers Courage's undoing was not of his making.

Teretonga was a sentimental journey for Englishman-sportsman Richard Attwood. A final workmanlike drive for BRM brought him home in 2nd behind clark.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 10:32 AM
In 3-litre form the Australian Repco v8 brought Jack Brabham world titles but this smaller Tasman Formula engine did not sing such a happy tune.

Tyres: Firestones new boot, the GP R125, developed with the aid of Lotus chief Colin Chapman, helped Clark regain Tasman title.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 10:38 AM
The Champion at work. Jim Clark rounded off his New Zealand tour with yet another convincing win in the lotus-Climax V8 at Teretonga Park. It was his 3rdin a row and was greeted enthusiastically by the friendly Southlanders.

Flameproof face masks may relegate drivers to Anonymity, but Clark knows their worth.

Tasman champion Jim Clark seemed not at all concerned that a BRM mechanic was unashamedly trying to unravel the inner secrets of Lotu success.
(look at mechanics hat, they would know each other)

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 10:53 AM
After the GP meeting a rapidly receding rear aspect was all that most contenders had of the Clark Lotus-Climax, unless they were being lapped.

For Jackie Stewart the end of a promising Wigram challenge came in the 5th lap when a course marker kicked back by Clarks Lotus disabled the BRM

Jackie Stewart in his Beatle Cap, a common site.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 10:56 AM
A regular nZ campaigner and a regular guy, Alex mildren was always on the job to see his cars were right.

Spirited in fighting between two Brabham-mounted Aussies; the maestro himself Jack brabham is just shading up-and-coming Kevin Bartlettin ths scene rom his short lived Pukekohe outing.

World Champion driver and World champion car; Jack Brabham and his Brabham-Repco V8.

Many hands make light work of stoking up Jim palmers 2,5 Brabham-Climax, but the season was fairly heavy going for the former national champion, who finished 4th on the ladder.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Tasman champion-to-be Jim Clark laps national champion-to-be Roly Levis in the course of the Lady Wigram Trophy race, which the flying Scot won at record speed.

Mechanical troubles in the 1.5 Brabham-Ford dogged young Lawrence but when the car behaved there was no holding him.

Pukekohe; Brabham-Climax mounted Jim Palmer maintained his record of being first Kiwi home. Here he copes with a mild spot of oversteer.

BRM team captain Jackie Stewart, who started the series with a GP victory, calmly sorts out much the same sort of situation only a little more so.

And Jim clark, just to be different, tries some right-hand-down-a-bit to counter ubdersteer.

Rod Grimwood
10-08-2012, 11:23 AM
'We work most nights and every day, we even push them on their way, BRM mechanics earn their pay'. Its those tartan topped lads again.

This was a big season for the Scots in NZ.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Mini-Men can always be relied on to mix it with a will. Bill Bryce leading an eager bunch at Renwick.

All-Comers Neil Doyle and Jack Nazer kept patrons on their toes in a willing Wigram duel. Doyle favoured a big Corvette engine in his Anglia, while Nazer stuck to a Lotus twin-Cam unit, which proved to be more effective.

Roy Harringtons bug-eyed Imp just about to be overtaken by Jack Nazers Lotus Anglia at Timaru.

John Miller put all Renwick emergency services to the test when his Corvette-engined Dauphine bent a pole on the main straight.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Nazer was trying hard to get the better of Franicevic at Timaru, where the curcuit offered interesting pictures even if it was unkind to the machinery.

"Colour me Gone" was the message displayed on the stern of 'The Monster" as Franicevic disappeared in the massive Ford V8 and a cloud of dust.

Rain tyre on the Shelby Mustang gave Fahey an advatage over Franicevic when the skies opened at the GP meeting.

Warner Collins left his Lotus-engined Anglia at home to make good but short-lived impression at Wigram with similarly-powered, much modified Minor.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 12:21 AM
The pretty little drop-nosed, Lotus-powered, fundamentally Farina of Clyde Collins was quite an effective newcomer on the All-Comer scene.

Group 2 Touring car Champion Barry Phillips lifts an inside wheel in a characteristic Lotus-Cortina fashion at Timaru.

Fahey had a determined go in the mustang at Wigram but Franicevics winning run ran on. Here are the two in close formation with Neil Doyles Corvette-Anglia.

Better known as a racing commentator, mini driver Bill bryce got right in amonst the assorted Anglia derivatives at Timaru.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Nazer was second home in the Lotus-Angli at Levin. Fahey gave him a good run for it for a while but eventually the tired Mustang drifted back to 4th.

Quickest Mini and probably quickest Group 2 saloon was shared by angus Hyslop and Dick Langley. Former single seater champion Hyslop was runner-up in series.

Small all-comer were all thrillers at Pukekohe. Mullins in Farina A40 beat Bryces Mini (here in front) for second. Winner Hamlins cooper-Mini S well clear here.

Mini pack at Renwick: They are so economical in road space that it takes quite a number to fill a picture.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Operations room of Robbie Franicevics All-comers championship-winning 7-litre Ford, nicknamed "The Monster", is strictly functional.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Sprightly newcomer to the Three-Hour Gold Leaf ghallenge at Pukekohe was the prince GT, seenhere with a mini its sights, in which Carlos Neate finished the season 4th in the Groups 2 Touring Car series.

Ernie Sprague and David Simpson in 3.8 Jaguar made a real race of it but failing brakes in latter stages of Wills 6 hour kept them back to second place.

Flooded track for the six-hour grind did not deter Sprague, who splashed to the front immediately. Archibald (no. 1) was content to pick a clear path.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 01:15 AM
Hyslop/Langley Alfa Romea had rather a chequered 6 hour run, finishing 3rd in its class.

Understeering Fiat 1500, Jim palmer at the wheel, finished 2nd in its class co-driven by Fahey.

Frank Bryan and Don David put up a good show in their Vauxhall and were eventually awarded a well-merited 3rd place.

V6 Zodiacs assumed alarming angles in the corners but took respectable 6-hour 5th and 6th places.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 01:24 AM
3-Hour winning Mustang of Fahey/Palmer tops the Rothmans rise, marking it's swift progress with plumes of of silver spry from it's flying hooves.

Ray Stone oil checks the Mustang while Palmer impatiently waits to join the stampede.

Former 6-hour winners, Palmer and Fahey, galloped the Mustang past the post in the 3-hour Wills Challenge.

Kerry Grant, who shared this 1275 S Mini-Cooper with Brian Innes, made big effort to overhaul Mustang in last laps.
This after Fahey was using the gearbox rather than brakes in later part of race. The mini was catching at 6 seconds a lap but ran out of time and laps to catch them.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Ray Archibald congratulates tony Shelley after a bonnie drive that helped earn them their 2nd Wills 6-Hour win.

Motor racing fans are certainly tigers for punishment. But the sun must be about due to shine on the next Wills 6-Hour meeting. It must:

Note: I was in that lot and can remember when my dad said bugger this lets go about 8 o'clock i did agree and missed the end. It was wet, cold and miserable.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 01:36 AM
Dennis Marwood in the Ecurie Rothmans Cooper-Climax clipped almost a full minute off the race record at Renwick.

And modestly wore the laurels for his 2nd successive Gold Star win.

A well judged 2nd place behind marwood in the final round at Timaru clinched the National Single-Seat titles for Roly Levis in his 1.5 Brabham-Ford.

Southland lad Lawrence Brownlie showed a good deal of promise in his first full single-seater season with the 1.5 Brabham-Ford.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Grant and Lawrence were among the first to try out the new section at the opening Pukekohe Gold Star meeting.

Kerry Grant, seen leading Brownlie and rest of the Renwick field, set off after Marwood and caught him, setting a new lap recoed, but abandoned with gearbox bothers.

The Tasman cars were let off atfer the 1.5s in 1 and 1/2litre Pukekohe championship race. Here Marwood in Cooper-Climax is between the Grant and Dawson Brabhams.

Only purely nationl outing for Jim palmer was Timaru, where he took lead from the start but was forced out with broken gearbox when his grounded on bump.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 01:50 AM
In early stages at Renwick, Brownlie looked fine chasing Marwood and Grant.

Jim Boyd did not have much joy with 2.5 Brabham-Climax, although his Timaru duel with Dene Holliers 1.5 Lotus-Ford was one of the race highlights till both retired.

A spin on oil relegated Roly Levis to 3rd place at Renwick behind Dawson.

At the end of the first hectic lap at Timaru, Palmer led the way from Marwood and Levis.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 01:55 AM
Built by Southlander George Begg, this Group-7-style Chevvy-engined sports-racer, driven by Barry Keen, was an interesting newcomer that may well set a trend.

The vunerable XK120 Jaguar of David Silcock added nostalgic touch but was really no match for modern machines.

It was Geoff Mardon all the way in the Stanton-Corvette at Renwick. Buchanans Ferrari was second. Riley (lotus-Climax) dropped out after competitive drive.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 02:00 AM
Andy Buchanan turned the tables at Levin with the uncatchable 250LM Ferrari. Mardon had to be content with 2nd in a tight contest.

Cockpit of the big Stanton-Corvette is new home for former speedway star Geoff Mardon. His performances show he likes it there.

Riley had an expensive season with the Lotus-Climax. GP meeting brought the first of several repair bills.

Rod Grimwood
10-14-2012, 02:05 AM
Results

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Awesome! But wasn't that Clyde Collins A40 just a work of art!

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 09:16 AM
OK. This the 1964 (2nd) edition. Sorry about being out of sequence but this was very kindly loaned by Barrie McBride along with the 1972 edition.
There is some amazing history in this.

This turns time back but we can manage that.

I am writing the captions as they are in the books.

PS If you can shift it back Steve, go for it.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Inside of front cover.

Birds eye view of Chris Amons Lola-climax;

The late Timmy Mayer, a fine racing driver and one of natures gentlemen, takes time out to talk with some young Maori enthusiasts at Levin (Timmy was killed after the Tasman Series)

The gapping air intake of the Tasman Formula Cooper-Climax, first to reach the checkered flag at pukekohe, Wigram and Teretonga.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Profiles;

Three New Zealand victories and eventually, the Tasman Championship gave Bruce McLaren his best 'down under' season. This gifted, wide-awake, young Aucklander already has an international reputation as a top-flight driver.

Abrilliant driver and technical man, former world champion Jack Brabham always manages to keep that Aussie smile going, although this season his impetuosity cost him good chances of success at pukekohe and Wigram.

Imperturbable Denis Hulme; his true worth as a racing motorist was only realized by most of his fellow New Zealanders after his record-breaking Levin victory with a year-old Repco-Brabham-Climax.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 09:39 AM
There is barely room to lie down and breathe in the Tasman Formula Cooper-Climax which is tailored to fit the driver.

Tasmanian grazier John Youl did much of the maintenance on his ex-Brabham Cooper-Climax. Consistant driving earned him some worth-while placings.

Not quite as slim as the Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd cars, Jack Brabham's Tasman Formula Repco-Brabham-Climax did not lack in power and was probably a better road-holder.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 09:47 AM
The McLaren Cooper-Climaxes were beautifully turned out and the whole equipe, including the special trailers for transport, showed New Zealand how a racing team should look.

Mayer, taller than team leader Mclaren, found his Cooper-Climax rather uncomfortable to drive until cockpit modifications were made later in series.

Frank Matich's lap record pace at Pukekohe proved too much for the engine or the Repco-Brabham-Climax, It split.

In vogue with the topless fashion; the gearboxes and final drives of the Repco-Brabham Tasman Formula cars were revealed for all to see.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Jack Brabham had to manage with a 2.5 Coventry-Climax sports-car engine at Pukekohe, but for Wigram he had this potent Repco-developed twin ignition unit which his team mate Hulme also used at Teretonga Park.

Not an inch of space was wasted in the McLaren teams Tasman Formula Cooper-Climaxes. Normal Cooper practice of using a top wishbone in the rear suspension was abandoned in favour of a top link and radius arm.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 10:16 AM
The ability to relax before a race is a great asset to a racing motorist, as Bruce Mclaren proved conclusively in the International series.

Angus Hyslop, the 1963 national champion, chews a strw while Denis Hulme chews the fat during the levin practice session.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 10:24 AM
The Formula Junior type cars, such as Andrew Buchanans 1.6Ltr Brabham-Ford, seen leading a couple of 2.5s at Levin, were really not competitive in the international series.

Deni Hulme ran away with the Vic Hudson Memorial race at Levin in record time after a magnificent drive in his Repco-Brabham-Climax.

Mayers Tasman Formula Cooper gave spectators a better view of the pilotsthan has been the case with most racing cars of recent vintage.

After a drag race start American Timmy Mayer led the Levin field for a time but after 8 laps had to give way to Denis Hulme.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 10:30 AM
"Ginger" racing mechanic to Tony Shelley, having done all he can to ready the Lotus-Climax, takes his ease.

Mayer could not catch the runaway Hulme but he held on to a creditable 2nd place.

In assorted headgear Levins ubiquitous crop of youg experts was quickly on hand to congratulate race winner Denis Hulme.

Results

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 10:33 AM
The 1964 Grand Prix field is on its way. The Mayer Cooper-Climax is in front, with Jack Brabham also prominant.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Aucklands popular Bruce McLaren tops a rise on his way to victory at Pukekohe.

Sydney driver Frank Matich shows his class at Pukekohe by leading the Mayer Cooper-Climax through the Elbow, pursued by Denis Hulme in the sister Tasman Formula Brabham-Climax.

Jim Palmer put up a good show with the ex-Hyslop Cooper-Climax and was first resident New Zealander to finish.

Wearing his most determined expression, Jack Brabham takes the wag out of the tail of his erring Repco-Brabham-Climax.

Mayer tackles the Elbow. this was the view most Grand Prix drivers had of the Tasman Formula Cooper-Climaxes.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Stepping lightly between the straw bales at the Elbow, where he has unintentionally parked his Brabham-Ford, is masterton farmer Andy Buchanan.

Grand Prix starter George Smith casts a discerning eye over the field.

The Grand Prix winner is soundly bussed by delighted wife, Patricia.

Results

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Watched by brother Teddy Mayer, Timmy warms up his Copper-Climax.

McLarens slim Cooper-Climax was the meat in the sandwich of Repco-Brabhams driven by team leader Brabham and assistant Hulme in the most tense race yet seen at Wigram.

It was a neck and neck affair at Wigram between two old adversaries. Here McLaren holds a tenuos lead over brabham.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Tony Shellys Lotus-Climax just shaded Jim Palmers Cooper-Climax off the mark for the start of the 1964 Lady Wigram Trophy race, Palmer finished by beating Shelly into 5th place.

Chris Amons poor handling Lola-Climax gave him some bad moments, such as this one when he had to apply the spoppers in a hurry.

Airborne in the loop, a new section of Wigram track that brabham did not like at all and which probably cost him the race.

Weak throttle return-springs gave the Tasman Formula Cooper-Climax drivers trouble in the loop. Here Timmy Mayer revolves in a cloud of smoke.

Even the course marshalls were worn out by the time the race was over.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 11:11 AM
When the time came to leave Denis shot off like a robbers dog and had built up a good lead when he spun out of the race.

Lone Ranger McLaren notches up his 4th Teretonga victory.

Formation flying by members of Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd provides the Teretonga crowd with a spectacular grandstand finish.

Grandstand finish

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 11:19 AM
National champion Jim palmer, his mechanic Bill Hannah, and Tasman champion Mclaren discuss the situation at Teretonga Park.

The forgotten men of motor racing, timekeepers and lap scorers make ready for the Teretonga international.

Denis Hulme and his wife Greta soak up some Southland sunshine. (I think he is not happy)

when McLaren, through no fault of his own, over-revved his engine in the preliminary heat, cheif mechanic Wally Willmott made a thorough check to see that nothing was bent.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Chris Amon went quite well with the the suspect Lola-Climax until the brute eventually got the better of him and spun into a ditch.

Results

thunder427
10-16-2012, 01:18 PM
.....Rod, do you know whate the time is ???..... here...its way past mid-night and still you post these fantastic shots/photo's, I'm starting to look my age in the mornings because of this thread, my beauty sleep has become a thing of the past....so !! please keep-im comming,:rolleyes: I just don't care anymore:) :):)...................Truely fantastic collection,I'm really enjoying every frame !!.....Your very tired friend, Myles:cool:

Shano
10-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Stunning, stunning photos. I appreciate the work you've put into bringing them to us.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks guy's, It's all good isn't it. There is some great history there.
Myles, what are you upto at that hour, working on another bit magic ?
Hope Bob and the crew are all well, still fizz on that meeting.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 04:56 AM
Jack Brabham chases Bruce McLaren

McLaren and Brabham, not for the first time, fight it out lap by lap in the Grand prix. Here McLaren is in the lead. The Australian later tangled with Shelly and withdrew.

Driving position in the Tasman Formula Cooper-Climax is almost prone. McLaren demonstrates the classic straight-arm grip. Melting tar at Teretonga explains the grass on the tyres.

Burning rubber spurts from the spinning wheels as the front row men take off in the Lady Wigram Trophy race.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 05:03 AM
Ray Billington.

'Fordy' Farland, Bruce Watt, McLaren and mechanic Lenny Gilbert "con" the Cooper at levin.

Jim Boyd nearly tooka bath when he ran out of road in the New Zealand built Valour-Ford at Pukekohe.

Bruce McLaren was just a little slow away this time at the start of the Pukekohe Grand prix, but it did not make much difference at the finish.

Willing helpers lend a hand to push Frank Matich's sleek Repco-Brabham-Climax to the Mount Maunganui starting grid.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 09:02 AM
National Champion in the making; Jim Palmer with the Ex-Hyslop Cooper-Climax opened his account with a Renwick win.

Racing in a rural setting; Andrew Buchanan in the Brabham-Ford is about to pass Cooper-Ford driver Dene Hollier.

Rex Flowers drove his Lotus-Ford into a good 3rd place at renwick.

Tony Shelly, 2nd man home, gave Palmer a run for it in his 2.5 Lotus-Climax. This well-known driver has recently announced his retirement.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Just back from his 1st European season, Amon chats with Shelly (in dark glass's)

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Australian tourist Frank Matich relaxes at the mount.

Matich Gave the New Zealanders some idea of the potential of the 2.5litre Tasman Formula Repco-Brabham-Climax with a slashing 1 min 10.4 sec lap record.

Despite tough Australian opposition, Palmer again took the flag at Mount Maunganui. Here he shows the way to Frank Matich and Tony Shelly on the bend leading to the main straight.

Andrew Buchanan scored his first single-seater victory with the 1.6 Brabham-Ford in the race for Formula Junior type cars.

Tyres smoke as lotus driver Shelly brakes behind John Youl's Cooper.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Heavy rain made things damp and difficult for contestants at Waimate...

Where Andrew Buchanan glued his Brabham-Ford to the tail of Rex Flowers Lotus-Ford and then took a last lap lead to win the race.

Motor racing may be a summer sport but conditions could hardly have been nuch wetter for this year's Waimate 50. Bill thomasen (2.5 Cooper-Climax) and Ken Sager (1.5 Lotus-Ford) press on regardless through the rain and flying spray.

After a somewhat indifferent season, Ken Sager finally came right and drove the Lotus-Ford into a weel earned 3rd place.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 09:28 AM
With 2.5 litres of Coventy-Climax engine behind him, Shelly waits for the action.

Waimates weather failed to dampen the spirits of race winner Andy Buchanan and place getters Sager and Shelly.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Kerry Grant chase's Ray Archibald.

Up front; National champion Kerry Grant with the Willment-engined Lotus Cortina in characteristic pose at Wigram.

Up back; an eager Austin cocks a rear wheel at Pukekohe. ( I am wondering John Windleburn, any ideas. also note the sports t-shirt)

Two formidable saloon car hands, Jaguar man Ray Archibald and Zephyr exponent Ernie Sprague, mixed it in style at Wigram.

Ivan Segedin drove his spirited Ford Anglia with everything wide open at Levin, even a door.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Lotus-Cortinas dominated saloon car racing later in the season. Paul Fahey, the eventual winner at Waimate, leads Kerry Grant, who took the national title.

Sprague has the hot Zephyr away out on the levin cucuit, with two keen young Lotus-Cortinas breathing heavily down his neck.

Ian Dow showed up as a much improved driver of his 3.8 Jaguar during the season, despite this indiscretion at Teretonga Park.

Julie Smith found her VW had a tendancy to over-steer at Levin and later rolled it.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Some hurried panel beating enabled Sprague to contest the Wigram final after an earlier mishap.

Grant's forceful driving style often brought spectators to their toes. Here he slides the tail of the Willment-modified Lotus Cortina in the 'rough"

Ernie Sprague tried really hard with the big Zephyr at Levin but found the curcuit too tight for this car and had to give best to the nimble Grant

The Waimate prang, at the turn out of the main straight, in the preliminary heat, ended Spragues chance of winning the saloon car championship.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Fahey and Grant made contact in the Loop at Wigram, calling for quick repairs between races.

Mini-Cooper driver Jim Mullins went through the straw bales on the tight Renwick curcuit after brake failure.

Vauxhall Victor driver Frank Hamlin was chagrined to lose his way at Pukekohe

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Barry Porters Waimate mistake enabled Lola sports car driver Johnny Riley to wind up the N.Z.r.d.c. series as joint champion.

Stock models, such as this Austin-Healey and mG-A at Levin, are now no match for the few sports-racers in the country.

Maurice Stanton in the revamped Stanton-Corvette had a good Renwick win and looked a hard man to catch until his pre-race mount Maunganui crash.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Joint champion Barry Porter did very well through-out the season with the elderly but fast moving 2 litre Lotus Climax.

The Stanton-Corvette is Ignominiously removed, months of hard work mangled in a split second.

Sydney-sider Matich and the swift 2.7 litre Lotus-Climax gobbled up the opposition at Mount Maunganui and Pukekohe.
( he was not eligable for points)

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Results

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 10:13 AM
That was 1964.

kiwi285
10-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Thank heavens someone had the foresight to save all of these cuttings. What a magic collections of photos and info being posted here. Thanks Rod - keep up the great work.

That must be a sizeable heap of scrapbooks - your Mum must be pleased to have all that space available again LOL

Rod Grimwood
10-18-2012, 04:43 AM
Barrie McBride kindly sent me the 64 and 72 books and the rest i have had delivered by a smiling mum.
Bit of scanning but well worth it hopefully.

seaqnmac27
10-18-2012, 07:30 AM
I would guarantee that those two editions would be VERY well thumbed Rod.

John H
10-19-2012, 07:57 AM
Joint champion Barry Porter did very well through-out the season with the elderly but fast moving 2 litre Lotus Climax.

The Stanton-Corvette is Ignominiously removed, months of hard work mangled in a split second. Sydney-sider Matich and the swift 2.7 litre Lotus-Climax gobbled up the opposition at Mount Maunganui and Pukekohe.
( he was not eligable for points)

Thats amazing.
You must have been standing next to me. I also have a similar photo. I can clearly remember seeing the underside of the Stanton as it seemed to ride over the rear of the Cooper f3 of David Young. It could have been a major incident had the car crashed down the side where the crowd was standing rather then down the other side of the road. Very sobering and from then on the marshal had no problem keeping us behind the ropes. Matich stopped beside us as he must have seen it all happen in his mirrors.

Rod Grimwood
10-20-2012, 11:11 PM
John H. I was not there, these are copies from the Shell Year books photographed by Euan Sarginson, showing for those who never saw/kept their records from past. And a big bit of NZ Motorsport.

Murray Maunder
10-21-2012, 09:07 PM
John H. I was not there, these are copies from the Shell Year books photographed by Euan Sarginson, showing for those who never saw/kept their records from past. And a big bit of NZ Motorsport.
Hey Grim, thanks for the huge effort you have gone to - this is a motor racing treasure. For those of us who are a few years too young to have seen the transition into the era of customer single-seaters playing out alongside Kiwi specials it's a real eye opener, not to mention some of the great candid pictorials of the stars of GP racing in the 60s and my first to the end hero Jim Clark. The championship results sheets are also great reference. Again, thanks for this invaluable resource.

John H
10-22-2012, 05:04 AM
Hey Grim, thanks for the huge effort you have gone to - this is a motor racing treasure. For those of us who are a few years too young to have seen the transition into the era of customer single-seaters playing out alongside Kiwi specials it's a real eye opener, not to mention some of the great candid pictorials of the stars of GP racing in the 60s and my first to the end hero Jim Clark. The championship results sheets are also great reference. Again, thanks for this invaluable resource.
Yes I agree. I would be so interested to know if anyone else watched that accident with the Stanton flying through the air. It could have been a tragedy along the lines of the 1955 LeMans one. Been thinking about it today. I was also close by when Hulme hit Brownlee in the 1960's at Puke, but the Stanton one was the one that could have gone so wrong. I guess it is only 50 years ago. :)

Rod Grimwood
10-24-2012, 10:07 PM
last night I finished scanning and then resizing the photos from the books. Will post when I get back from Christchurch in just over a week. Of to Ruapuna for Lady Wigram this weekend and then staying on for a bit of work. I hope to catch up with both Mrs Min Sarginson and daughter while down there.

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Ok let us resume. 1968

"Sadly this issue records the last Tasman chapter in the brilliant career of Jim Clark - and fittingly it is a record of his championship win. Like all New Zealanders interested in motor sport, Euan Sarginson and I will long remember Jim, not just because he was the greatest racing driver of our era but because we looked upon him as a real friend."
PETER GRENSLADE

I was one of those New Zealanders that was also affected by the death of Jim Clark. As a teenager I wanted to be Jim Clark or Bruce McLaren.
Rod Grimwood

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Seems to be a problem with downloads, telling me they exceed the 156.7 limit when it was originally 190. I have downloaded and resized to 180-190.
Steve Help,

shellsport
11-04-2012, 06:13 AM
A keen competitor to run one one of these in the era of Kent engined cars , imagine how much of a handicap they had to contend with , a great trail of oil leaks !

Steve Holmes
11-04-2012, 07:20 AM
Seems to be a problem with downloads, telling me they exceed the 156.7 limit when it was originally 190. I have downloaded and resized to 180-190.
Steve Help,

Sorry Rod, I was just trying to save some file space by reducing the max attachment size to 160kb. I've just increased it again back up to 190.

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Cheers Steve, I will get this done as quick as so you can change.
Cheers

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Youngest overseas visitor for the Tasman series was Martin Hulme, who stuck pretty close to dad when the World Champion was not in the cockpit.

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 10:17 AM
GP

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 10:22 AM
GP1

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 10:24 AM
GP2

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 10:29 AM
GP4

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Levin

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Levin1

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Lady Wigram

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Lady Wigram 1

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Lady Wigram 2

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Lady Wigram 3

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Teretonga

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Teretonga 1

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Teretonga 2

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Teretonga 3

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Teretonga 4
Sadly this was the last time Jim Clark raced in New Zealand.

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Tasman series

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Tasman 1

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Tasman 2

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Tasman 3

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Tasman 4

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Tasman 5

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Tasman 6

Rod Grimwood
11-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Tasman 7

Steve Holmes
11-05-2012, 03:10 AM
Bloody awesome. Those colour grid photos are amazing!

Rod Grimwood
11-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Tasman 7

Rod Grimwood
11-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Saloons

Rod Grimwood
11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Saloons 1

Rod Grimwood
11-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Saloons 2