PDA

View Full Version : Old Mustang. does anyone know its history?

Kiwiboss
09-24-2012, 08:33 PM
I traded this Mustang in this state about 15 years ago, i believe it came out of New Plymouth? all i got with it was a the rego plate, does anyone recognise the plate number? i moved it on pretty quickly but always wondered if it had any race history or even club racing? notice the flared back guards, remember a car like this was still expensive back them and to end up in this condition seems strange!!

Dale M

fullnoise68
09-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Dale, a mate of mine and myself had a look at a very similar car out the back of Huntly about 20 years ago. It too had new door skins, and the guy who had the car at the time owned the motorbike shop at the southern end of Huntly - not Ginger Molloy -which mysteriously burnt down a few years later. I saw the guy at the Puke swap meet several years ago and asked him what became of the Mustang. His reply....a mate had borrowed it????

Steve Holmes
09-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Wow, if I didn't know any better, I'd say thats the old Ivan Segedin Mustang in its later Red Dawson guise. But of course we all know thats not the case, but its just the rear flares look quite similar. But that car appears to have front drum brakes Dale, so seems an unlikely road course racer. But you never know!

fullnoise68
09-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Are you sure that`s not you standing in the doorway in the first photo haggling with some frail old guy in his armchair!!!A bit of humour Dale!

Steve Holmes
09-24-2012, 09:47 PM
That'd be right! "Look mister, its really a rusted old hulk, I'm doing you a favour taking it off your hands and $50 is really much more than its worth. Nobody wants these old cars anymore".

Kiwiboss
09-24-2012, 10:22 PM
You guys are just full of humour today arn't you!!LOL. That kids trying to beat me up on the price from memory, LOL

Dale M

fullnoise68
09-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Thinking about it, and looking at the Mustang on blocks in a backyard, reminds me of a early `60s Wolseley 6/110 I got off a Tongan family years ago in Glenn Innes for a demo derby at Waikaraka Park. The wheels/tyres were in the garage, and the old lady said " you fullas better check in the boot, `cause there might be some more parts in there aye" Guess what, we got the boot open, only to be met by the aroma of about four sacks of shelled unopened mussels that must have been there for at least a year! Good job the gas tank was up between the wheel arches, had it been in the boot floor it would have been on the lawn! Anyway, back to the Mustang.......