PDA

View Full Version : Bob Jane Racing Heritage - Photo Collection

Pages : [1] 2

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 03:54 AM

As outlined earlier in the week, The Roaring Season and the Bob Jane Racing Heritage (http://www.bobjaneracingheritage.com/) have joined forces to share photos, and stories, that will benefit visitors to both our websites. Simon Popplewell and Myles Johnson have been busy working their way through the many, many photos that are in Bob Janes photo collection, and scanning each one for posterity.

Many of these photos have never been seen before. A large proportion are of Bob, and Bobs cars, but there are also many more that feature the characters, the legends, and larger-than-life figures that helped make Australian motorsport great, the team principles, the mechanics, the team members, plus the drivers that raced against Bob. Sure, these guys were rivals on the track, but, as you’ll see from some of these photos, they were good mates off it.

The photos aren’t labelled, so we have to figure things out for ourselves with many of them. Some are obvious, others aren’t. But they are all fascinating, and its incredibly exciting to be able to display them here for everyone to enjoy.

And remember, to visit the Bob Jane Racing Heritage (http://www.bobjaneracingheritage.com/) website regularly. I can promise you its going to grow into something pretty special.

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 04:01 AM
Kicking things off, Bob has always gone to great lengths to make time for kids. Its something he did when he started out in racing, and something he still does now. Kids are the future, and Bob always took the time to give them special treatment. This fantastic photo shows Bob helping a couple of young race fans into the cockpit of the Elfin-Traco. I bet they became race fans for life after this. No doubt, a moment that would stay with them forever.

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 04:03 AM
Fierce rivals on the track, good mates off it. Bob and Pete Geoghegan with their two legendary Mustangs.

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 04:10 AM
This car apparently raced just four times. Norm Beechey, pictured here, is about to unload his beautiful black '68 Camaro off the 'team' transporter. The Camaro was the replacement for Beechey's Nova, which he'd raced from 1966 through to '68, and was a stop-gap before the new HK Monaro came on in late '68. Beechey did manage to beat Geoghegan's all-conquering Mustang once with the Camaro, but at the all important 1968 ATCC race at Warwick Farm, it was an early retirement. Once the Monaro was ready to race, the Camaro just sort of vanished. Its believed to have been converted to a road car, it never raced again, and its whereabouts are unknown.

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 04:14 AM
The exact details of this engine bay are a bit of a mystery. The photo isn't labelled. It appears to be a Camaro engine bay, and my guess would be that its Bobs famous ZL1 '69 Camaro, when CAMS forced him to run a small block Chevy in 1972. Would anyone like to comment?

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Larrikins! Bob and (I think) Pete Geoghegan share a Shelby T-Shirt! As they'd both visited Shelby in 1965 to buy a Mustang each, the shirt is likely to have been picked up then. Was it Bobs shirts, or Petes? Maybe they each thought he owned it. How much would it be worth now? Plenty, would be my guess.

Dave Silcock
10-14-2012, 06:18 AM
I can't comment too much on the motor it self, but the carburettors are impressive. Almost certainly a set of 58mm webers as fitted to 2.5 liter Coventry Climax. Red Dawson had a set of those on his Monza at one stage, if you did it today it would cost you about $24000 and everybody would say way too big!

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks Dave, heres one just for you.

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 07:58 AM
On the grid at Sandown, 1964. At left is Bob in the Jaguar. In the centre is Norm Beechey in the '63 Galaxie that was also raced at various times by Len Lukey and Lex Davison. At right, I think, could be Ern Abbott. Looking at the number plate on the Valiant, its the same car raced by Abbott, but whether this is him here I can't say for sure.

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 08:24 AM
The '67 Mustang. This is the car written off at Lakeside in 1970, when owned by Chris Brauer.

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Stunning shot of Pete Geoghegan cocking a wheel in the Scuderia Veloce Ferrari 250LM at Bathurst. I think this was 1968.

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Bobs other ZL1. This one was drag raced sporadically, then sold in 1973. The motor from this car was used in the restoration of Bobs more famous 1971/72 ATCC winner. I think the car itself may have been written off some years later. Myles can clarify.

Dale Harvey
10-14-2012, 09:52 PM
The first shot is at Lakeside. The second is of the Elfin Repco, not Traco and the shot of big Pete in the 250LM is 1968 as stated. Keep em coming.

Dale.

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks Dale.

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Of all Bob's race cars, he surely must have raced this amazing HQ Monaro the longest. The car first appeared in late 1972, and Bob raced it until the end of 1978. It was originally built for the Improved Production category, as a replacement for his ZL1 Camaro, and he likely would have taken over the reigns from 1973 after its early development races to defend his ATCC title. Bob's hired gun, John Harvey, debuted the Monaro at the penultimate round of the 1972 ATCC, at Surfers Paradise, on July 22.

But CAMS changed the rules part-way through 1972, effectively scrapping the Improved Production category. Most Improved Production racers ended up in the now nationally recognised Sports Sedan class, which allowed far greater freedoms than did Improved Production. But Sports Sedans weren't given championship status until 1976, so only bragging rights and prize-money were on offer. So the Monaro became a Sports Sedan, and run alongside Bob's Repco V8 Torana. For 1973 the Monaro remained much as it first appeared in '72, but started to sprout spoilers from 1974.

This engine bay photo shows the car in its original Improved Production guise. The fuel-injected Chevy was built by John Sheppard and Pat Purcell, with Sheppard creating the inlet manifold himself. Note the front distributor. What an impressive beast. It would have been fascinating to have seen if Bob could have defended his ATCC title in this car, as it was generally considered a better car than the two-time ATCC winning Camaro.

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Norm Beechey built and raced some fascinating cars throughout the late 1950s and early 60s. His early years followed that of many typical Aussies, battling away in an FX Holden, followed by an EH. But, there were early signs that Beechey, the showman, preferred to cut his own path. In 1958, he briefly raced a Ford Customline. The, in 1962, he opted for this massive Chevy Impala, imported brand new from the US.

The Impala was originally intended for the single-race 1962 ATCC at Longford. Unfortunately, it failed to reach Australia in time, so Beechey fronted up with his FX Holden. The Impala became one of the fastest touring cars in Australia throughout the rest of 1962, and into '63, and was about the only touring car that could take it to the dominant Jaguars. There was much anticipation over the contest between it and Bob Jane's Jaguar at the 1963 ATCC at Mallala, but the duel never happened. The Impala blew its motor just prior to the ATCC, and Norm reverted back to his Holden for the second year running.

This incredible photo shows not just the race car, but also what I can only guess is Norms tow-vehicle, a '61 Impala.

Steve Holmes
10-14-2012, 11:54 PM
I never get tired of looking at this photo! What an absolute gem. This is how ya' drive 'em! Smoke the bags!

This is the third of the three Mustangs Bob raced, this being the ex-Shelby 1968 Trans-Am factory car. These 1967/68 model Mustang coupes made such good looking race cars. Judging by the dark helmet, I believe this is Bob driving, as opposed to John Harvery, who also raced this car regularly.

mid-year
10-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Wow,these photos are awesome ! could the unknown engine bay be the 68 Beechey Camaro , only a wild guess as I have never seen a photo of it.
Pete.

Steve Holmes
10-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Pete, Bruce Thompson (Bruce302) also suggested that. I think you guys are both right. I guessed at Bobs Camaro when it ran the 350, but the engine bay and surrounds look a lot darker than orange.

I've never seen an engine bay shot of Bob's Camaro when he ran the small block. Did he run multiple carbs, or a single 4-barrel?

mid-year
10-15-2012, 07:25 AM
I have also never seen a shot of the ZL-1,s engine bay when Cams forced Bob to re-configure the car as a Z-28 but I suspect it would have utilized the LT-1 aluminum valve covers as in the shot of the HQ . The steel covers in the unknown photo appear to be for a 327, unlike the 350 which had a different breather system.
Pete.

Steve Holmes
10-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Yeah, I really think you guys are on it, its almost certainly the Beechey Camaro. That car really had some effort go into it. What a shame its career was so short.

Steve Holmes
10-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Norm Beechey, the showman. The sport today is sadly lacking the characters it once had.

Steve Holmes
10-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Norm and Peter Manton discuss team tactics. Pete Geoghegan tries to look like he isn't listening in.

seaqnmac27
10-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Norm Beechey, the showman. The sport today is sadly lacking the characters it once had.

Unfortunately Steve, I think ALL sports have been sanitised to ridiculous levels, I think of the nonsense happening within cricket and the indoctrination that means that you can not even talk to another player for fear of how they may react.
This year an AFL player was suspended for a week and fined by his club for making comments about another players mother.

Rod Grimwood
10-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Your right Steve, I miss the girls.

thunder427
10-18-2012, 12:25 PM
...Gezzz, Rod I miss them too, What was thier names :confused:!!????..........................MJ:cool:

Steve Holmes
10-18-2012, 09:00 PM
The lightweight E Type, with hardtop lid fitted. Note how heavily polished the wheels are, this was signature of all Bob's cars. Presentation was as good as it gets.

Steve Holmes
10-18-2012, 09:01 PM
The D Type. What more can I say. Just stunning.

Steve Holmes
10-18-2012, 09:02 PM

Steve Holmes
10-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Fascinating collage of the HQ Monaro. The level of detail is amazing. Note the lack of head rest. Bob and John Harvey must have had bloody strong necks! Some padding was added to the rollcage tube directly behind the drivers seat in early races, before a large pad was fitted, then, finally, a high-back race seat. Note also the finned rear drums. And, as per CAMS rules for Improved Production, the HQ is fully carpeted!

Steve Holmes
10-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Very early photo of Allan Moffat posing next to his Mustang. This is from 1969, when the car still ran on 8" wide wheels, and before the Boss decals were applied in 1970. Moffat looks incredibly young and unassuming here, and slightly geeky, with his signature thick-rimmed specs. Yet, behind the wheel, he was an absolute tiger, and brought a new level of intensity to Australian touring car racing when he arrived.

Ellis
10-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Steve

Do you want other Jane pics in this or would you rather keep it to your Racing Heritage material

Steve Holmes
10-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Ellis, I just created this thread to display some of the photos from the Bob Jane Racing Heritage, as we're working together with them. But please go ahead and add yours, they're an absolute credit to any thread.

nick_tassie
10-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Another Camaro to throw in the mix could be the Ex Terry Allen car when raced by Greame Blanchard in 71-72. He has told me he ran the 350 small block with a quad weber crossover setup. It was stolen off the car just before he sold it to Lakis Manticas. Terry ran quad 58mm webers on the big block, so these may have been those carbs with small block cross over.

Steve Holmes
10-19-2012, 04:33 AM
I did briefly wonder that too Nick, but there are a series of photos taken of the Beechey Camaro that look like they could have been (or maybe they did end up) taken for a magazine article, including interior and trunk photos, and I wonder if maybe this is part of that photo shoot.

Steve Holmes
10-19-2012, 04:55 AM
The other Super Falcon. Ford Australia built, at huge expense, two XW Falcons for the Improved Production category that contested the Australian Touring Car Championship, one for Pete Geoghegan, and one for Allan Moffat. The cars were powered by fuel-injected 351s, and contained some quite exotic pieces. This is Moffats car, which was supposed to replace his Mustang. Moffats car first appeared at the final ATCC race in 1970 at Symmons where the motor blew itself to bits.

Both drivers struggled with the cars during the various races they ran them in 1971, often turning up with both their Falcons and Mustangs, practising with both cars, then opting to run the Mustangs. Both cars handled poorly, due mainly to lacking rigidity in an effort to get weight out of them, plus they struggled to put power to the ground. Geoghegan persevered for another year, after pouring a bunch more money into it, but won just a single ATCC race in 1972. Moffat gave up on his, and reverted back to his Mustang. His Falcon was believed to have been stripped of its good parts, which were transferred across to Geoghegans car, and the body eventually dumped.

mid-year
10-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Hi Steve,the Moffat XW lightweight would be my all time favourite looking touring car-what a pity it never ran in this configuration for any length of time before it was updated to the XY style,not quite as tough looking in my opinion. I believe the cars were originally built with removable radiator support panels ( to enable quick engine changes in the pits ) and this weakening of the front body structure lead to body twistage causing handling issues.A hell of a great looking car!

Regards Pete.

mid-year
10-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Interesting engine bay shot of the Moff lightweight showing off the locally made mechanical slide-valve fuel injection.
The engine reportedly made about 550 bhp which was uber strong for 1970.12349

Steve Holmes
10-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Wow, that is some pretty special! Didn't Moffat try running the Falcon motor in his Mustang once or twice?

Steve Holmes
10-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi Steve,the Moffat XW lightweight would be my all time favourite looking touring car-what a pity it never ran in this configuration for any length of time before it was updated to the XY style,not quite as tough looking in my opinion. I believe the cars were originally built with removable radiator support panels ( to enable quick engine changes in the pits ) and this weakening of the front body structure lead to body twistage causing handling issues.A hell of a great looking car!

Regards Pete.

Yeah I'm with you on that one Pete, I thought Moffats looked better as an XW too. Although, curiously, I thought Geoghegans looked better as an XY! Its a shame the cars never performed as hoped, they were pretty dramatic looking machines, and even when first built were incredibly exciting, and created huge interest, and were phenomenally powerful. But even after Geoghegan spent a fortune further developing his for 1972, it still wasn't as good as Moffats Mustang at most tracks.

Ellis
10-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow, that is some pretty special! Didn't Moffat try running the Falcon motor in his Mustang once or twice?

Moffat ran a 351 in the Mustang towards its career end and it was reportedly the Falcon engine. It upset the cars balance somewhat and rather than move it back and partially destroy the car he chose to retire it....a decision well made.

mid-year
10-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Ford gave the two cars to Al and Big Pete to continue their further developement and I remember seeing John French drive AM,s lightweight at Surfers and at Lakeside and he did a good job as the car appeared to be very quick and competitive. it did look nice in the Brambles Red colour scheme as an XY but the best motor race I have ever seen was the battle between Pete in his white lightweight XY and Moff,s Mustang in the ATTC round at Bathurst Easter 1972-this was a titanic duel between two greats with Pete just pipping Moff by a headlight at the finish..an unbelievable race.

Pete.

Steve Holmes
10-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Were you at that event Pete?

Steve Holmes
10-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Moffat ran a 351 in the Mustang towards its career end and it was reportedly the Falcon engine. It upset the cars balance somewhat and rather than move it back and partially destroy the car he chose to retire it....a decision well made.

Yeah, I agree, definitely the right decision, and probably completely different to what most others would have done in the same position.

Steve Holmes
10-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Anyone want to try and guess which this car is?

mid-year
10-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Yes Steve,I was at the bottom of Con-rod and on the last lap and the last corner of that incredible race it was amazing to see Moffat,who had his entire upper body protruding through the side window as his windscreen was completely covered in engine oil from the XY.s overflow catch bottle causing no vision out the front screen,pull around Pete in attempt to out brake him and they went side by side thru Murrays with Pete just slightly out accellerating the Boss 302......Stuff legends are made from!
Pete.

mid-year
10-19-2012, 11:23 PM
I like this comparison between the Super XW and the FoMoCo press test car stock Phase 2,the flares and the minilights on the lightweight look very aggresive.

Pete.12351

Steve Holmes
10-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Agreed, the flares and the wheels are what make it. I really love the flares those cars had, they were aggressive but still quite subtle, and its impressive they still housed 10" wide wheels.

Steve Holmes
10-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Yes Steve,I was at the bottom of Con-rod and on the last lap and the last corner of that incredible race it was amazing to see Moffat,who had his entire upper body protruding through the side window as his windscreen was completely covered in engine oil from the XY.s overflow catch bottle and he had no vision out the front screen,pull around Pete in attempt to out brake him and they went side by side thru Murrays with Pete just slightly out accellerating the Boss 302......Stuff legends are made from!
Pete.

Wow, that must have been amazing. That race is considered one of the very greatest touring car races in Australian history.

I sometimes wonder how things could have been if CAMS had let the Improved Tourers run another season. On the one hand the fields were getting smaller as the front running cars were becoming more expensive to build and race, but I think Geoghegan could have been quite competitive with the Super Falcon, plus Jane would have had his HQ Monaro, and it would have been interesting to see who else entered the fray.

mid-year
10-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Anyone want to try and guess which this car is?

Bob Jane tunnel port Mustang?

thunder427
10-20-2012, 01:56 AM
........the after part of Mid-Years account was related to me by Chris Farrell some years ago, Chris worked for the 'Moffat', responsible for bodywork etc etc ( we were all 'good' at etc,etc,etc)......well as you all know,no victory lap at Bathurst, just around the cnr and in the gate,make your way around to the podium........this where it gets interesting....as 'Big' Pete comes through the gate he is meet by his crew,who proceed to 'towel down' the 'Super Falcon' as it slowly proceeds around to awaiting officials,by the time it arrives at the winners circle it's as shinny and clean as the day it rolled off the truck, the wayward 'oil' tube replaced back in the can...." what Oil"????.... So as Chris put it, you've got Mechanic on the Moffat Team that 'stutters', you've got Big Pete that 'stutters' and they have David Mc Mc Mc Kay who also 'stutters' all going 'hammer and tong', Pete going ,"W W W what F");:/ing Oil!!.....but you have to hear this story from Chris,he had us rolling around the floor .......MJ:cool:

Ellis
10-20-2012, 11:35 PM
A few of the Jane cars .......
Maser at Longford....Smedley pic
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/Jane300MaserPub60_zps3e631470.jpg

Jag at Longford...Smedley pic
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/JaneJagViaductLgfd64_zpsac9b7bf9.jpg

Jags at Longford...unkown source
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/JanePittBurns62_zps192573ff.jpg

E Type at Longford.... Smed pic
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/JaneRedEType63_zps8633630f.jpg

E Type LWT Calder...French
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/JaneLwtETypeCalder866_zpsb43b25fd.jpg

Ellis
10-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Jane Elfin Longford
Note the starters 44gallon drum with wheels and handrail. This was wheeled out close to white line on track for the start then moved back after to make a pit lane where Elfin is stopped......technology
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/JaneElfinLgfd66-1.jpg

Next few are Perry Drury pics.....(been posted before)
Harrops EH ran under Jane banner for a period. Jim Richards Had a couple of drives
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/10-4.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/25-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/32-2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/33-3.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/50-2.jpg

Ellis
10-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Spencer Martin and Jane Symmons Plains.....
Jim Clark gave Spencer a couple of pairs of Dunlop driving overalls after Longford.
Spencer has since given a set to the now owner of ex Clark / ex Geoghegan Lotus 39.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/JaneMartinSP1166-2.jpg

McLoughlan pics....
Lotus Cortina Longford
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/CCI08062012_00014-1.jpg

Elfin Longford
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/CCI08062012_00003.jpg

Steve Holmes
10-21-2012, 05:12 AM
Wow, these are fantastic Ellis, thanks for posting them. The E Type shot and Jag shot heading under the bridge at Longford are especially fascinating! What amazing photos.

Here is another shot of the beautiful Maserati

Steve Holmes
10-21-2012, 05:12 AM
........the after part of Mid-Years account was related to me by Chris Farrell some years ago, Chris worked for the 'Moffat', responsible for bodywork etc etc ( we were all 'good' at etc,etc,etc)......well as you all know,no victory lap at Bathurst, just around the cnr and in the gate,make your way around to the podium........this where it gets interesting....as 'Big' Pete comes through the gate he is meet by his crew,who proceed to 'towel down' the 'Super Falcon' as it slowly proceeds around to awaiting officials,by the time it arrives at the winners circle it's as shinny and clean as the day it rolled off the truck, the wayward 'oil' tube replaced back in the can...." what Oil"????.... So as Chris put it, you've got Mechanic on the Moffat Team that 'stutters', you've got Big Pete that 'stutters' and they have David Mc Mc Mc Kay who also 'stutters' all going 'hammer and tong', Pete going ,"W W W what F");:/ing Oil!!.....but you have to hear this story from Chris,he had us rolling around the floor .......MJ:cool:

Thats a bloody brilliant story Myles! Classic!

Steve Holmes
10-21-2012, 05:14 AM
Another shot of the beautiful ex-Shelby Trans-Am Mustang. Can anyone tell me when Bob sold this car back to the US?

Steve Holmes
10-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Before the Shelby Trans-Am Mustang, came this '67 which is the car destroyed at Lakeside in 1970. This car evolved quite a lot during its career, as it got lower, the wheels got wider, and the flares got larger. This is an early photo, almost certainly from 1967, I'm guessing at WF, with Bob hanging the tail out.

Steve Holmes
10-21-2012, 05:31 AM
The Camaro, during its 1972 season, when Bob became back-to-back ATCC champion. The Camaro was forced by CAMS to run a small block Chevy this season, plus drum brakes on the rear. But it mattered not, after another intense championship battle with Moffat, Bob came out as champion once again, winning four races, finishing second twice, third once, and with just one dnf from the eight rounds. I know the Camaro is more famous as it was in 1971, but I personally preferred the way it looked in '72, with the centres painted gloss black on the Minilites.

Steve Holmes
10-21-2012, 05:45 AM
Bobs crazy LC Torana GTR XU-1 Sports Sedan, with alloy Repco-Brabham V8, and glorious chrome megaphone exhausts. The Torana first appeared in 1971, and raced for several seasons under Bobs ownership, and being constantly evolved, but its perhaps most famous in this early guise, with tall rear wing attached. The wing wasn't on the car in its very early races, it sprouted later in 1971, and was still there in early 1972, until CAMS created a way to ban it! According to John Sheppard, the wing was actually off a glider, which was then wrapped in aluminium, and with a Gurney-flap attached to the rear upper lip.

Steve Holmes
10-21-2012, 05:50 AM
Norm Beechey in the superb big Chevy Nova. This would be from the 1966 season, with the car in its dark blue with white stripes colours that it first ran with. Looks like it could be Lakeside? No doubt Pete Geoghegan is somewhere nearby in the Mustang.

Steve Holmes
10-21-2012, 05:57 AM
This is sort of related to the Beechey photo above. Some years ago I used to paint large black and white oil paintings on canvas. One of my favourites was one I did of the 1967 ATCC, also at Lakeside, showing Beechey in the Nova, in its 1967 black/red/yellow colours, being chased by Geoghegan in his new Mustang. The Nova dominated, but the Mustang won the race after the big Chevy blew a tyre and smacked the armco.

I sold the painting to David Bowden, who owns the Nova. Wish I'd have kept it now!

mid-year
10-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Yes Steve that is Lakeside and may be the first outing with the American Racing wheels ( previously it ran steels ) which apparently made a big difference to the fade prone drum brakes.

Regards Pete. ps love the painting!

cavvy
10-21-2012, 07:22 AM
Another shot of the beautiful ex-Shelby Trans-Am Mustang. Can anyone tell me when Bob sold this car back to the US?

I understand the car passed thru a number of owners including Bob Stevens before the Yanks got it.
Myles?

Ellis
10-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Went back to USA in the 80's. Not sure which year exactly

Steve Holmes
10-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys, yes of course you're right! I had it in my head for some reason Bob pushed it into a corner of his shop and left it to gather dust as he did with many of his other cars. Bob Stevens raced it for several years, initially in blue, then two-tone blue and white. The flares grew ever-larger, but it stayed mostly intact.

Steve Holmes
10-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Yes Steve that is Lakeside and may be the first outing with the American Racing wheels ( previously it ran steels ) which apparently made a big difference to the fade prone drum brakes.

Regards Pete. ps love the painting!

Thanks Pete, yes the American Racing Wheels must have made a big difference, although strangely he does seem to revert back to running the solid steel wheels several times in 1967 and even in '68 for some strange reason.

Oldfart
10-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Stunning painting Steve.

Ellis
10-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Camaro at Symmons Plains.....pic unknown

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/JaneCamaroSP_zpse41d4f27.jpg

Steve Holmes
10-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Thanks Ellis, neat photo.

Steve Holmes
10-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Stunning painting Steve.

Thanks Rhys.

Steve Holmes
10-23-2012, 01:41 AM
I believe the Chevy Monza Sports Sedan is the last race car Bob drove in anger. The car went through some quite dramatic changes in its career, not least when it got converted into a Toyota Supra, but this is its earlier guise, as driven by Bob, although the paint scheme and rear wing modifications I'd guess this was from 1981, the last season he raced it.

Steve Holmes
10-23-2012, 01:43 AM
The Monza again, although this is earlier than the photo posted above, and showing the rear suspension/diff/and frame of the car.

Steve Holmes
10-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Once Bob retired from racing, he hired Peter Brock to take over the reigns of the radically rebuilt Monza. Pat Purcell and Roaring Season member Myles Johnson each played a pivotal role in the construction and rebuild of this car. Myles even designed the paint schemes! This photo is from 1983, the year Brock eliminated most of the front running cars from the Australian GT/Sports Sedan Championship when the Monza suddenly flicked left moments after the start at Adelaide.

Steve Holmes
10-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Brilliant photo of Bob giving a talk on the ZL1 Camaro.

Steve Holmes
10-23-2012, 04:35 AM
I love this photo. Stan Jones has just won the 1959 Australian Grand Prix at Longford, which was then still a domestic Formula Libre race. Here he celebrates with his crew, while his young son and future World Champion, Alan, rides shot-gun.

Marty
10-23-2012, 06:11 AM
The Monza again, although this is earlier than the photo posted above, and showing the rear suspension/diff/and frame of the car.

Car of the future (COTF) prototype?
30 odd years in the making.

OCTARD-USA
10-23-2012, 06:51 AM

That is an outstanding photo! What a great car, with such a trick rear transaxle, IRS, rear brake set-up and center-lock wheel mounting, dry sump tank, and, well, just about everything that you can see.

Thanks to all that are helping to make these available for all of us.

-Chad

Steve Holmes
10-23-2012, 06:54 AM
Yeah I thought you'd get a kick out of that one Chad.

Steve Holmes
10-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Another shot of the rear inner workings of the Monza.

Steve Holmes
10-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Great shot here showing some of the heavy hitters of Australian Sports Sedan racing in 1976. Bob leads Pete Geoghegans HQ Monaro, Allan Moffats Chevy Monza, and Ron Harrops amazing Repco V8 EH Holden. Bobs Monaro was yellow in this photo. For a brief time in 1976, he moved away from his traditional orange. The Geoghegan Monaro in behind started life as an HQ, but its development time was so long, when it hit the track in 1975, the HQ model had been superceded by the new HJ, so the team fitted an HJ front. But CAMS, being strict as they were, noted Geoghegans Monaro was fitted with a 350ci Chevy motor, which was available in the HQ model range, but not in the HJ. Sports Sedan rules said a 5 litre motor could be fitted to any car, regardless of what it left the factory with, but a 6 litre motor was only allowed if the car left the factory with a 6 litre motor!

Only the smaller Holden V8 308 was available in the HJ. Therefore, the team were told they had to fit an HQ nose on the car if they wanted to run a Chevy motor. They managed to stall CAMS for long enough to retain the HJ nose for 1975, then fitted the Monaro with an HQ nose for '76, along with the huge big ugly box flares they also added.

Steve Holmes
10-23-2012, 09:29 PM
So you think Aussie touring car racing in the early '70s was all about having a bit of spirited, clean-cut fun between good pals who enjoyed Saturday night bbq's and a few beers? Think again! It was intense, and cut-throat. Allan Moffat brought a new level of intensity to Australian touring car racing when he arrived in 1969 with his Mustang, and he was happy to use his elbows to move others out of his way. In just his third Australian appearance with the Mustang, Moffat knocked fenders with Beecheys Monaro on the warm-up lap!

But Bob rose to the occasion, and got right into getting physical with Moffat. The pair came to blows several times during their intense 1971/72 ATCC battles, and even in this non-championship race, at Sandown during the Tasman meeting, in early 1971. The pair spun after Bob gave Moffat a tap. The Camaro got going again quicker than the Mustang, and went on to win the race.

mid-year
10-24-2012, 02:36 AM
Bob Stevens competing in the ex Bob Jane Shelby Mustang at Oran Park 1979.12411

Steve Holmes
10-24-2012, 07:16 AM
Pete, brilliant photo, thanks for posting. That paint scheme Bob Stevens had was quite deceiving, it made it look like the car was fitted with box-style flares, when really they were much more modest, and just heavily rounded. There is a photo of what I believe to be this car in Alex Gabbards book Fast Mustangs, which was first printed in 1990. The front sheet metal has been replaced with with more conventional front fenders, front clip etc, as the car was originally raced, but the rear quarters still have the flares that the car raced with under Bob Stevens' ownership, as above. Looked a bit weird, but its been correctly rebuilt since.

Steve Holmes
10-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Bob and the Maestro, at Sandown AGP, 1978. Fangio and his W196 were sent across as special guests.

Steve Holmes
10-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Sports Sedan action. John Pollard in the Camaro leads Jim Richards in the Sidchrome Mustang. The Pollard Camaro is the famour ex-Frank Gardner SCA Freight car which has raced just about everywhere in the world, and has recently been restored, as pictured here (http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?785-Frank-Gardners-SCA-Freight-Camaro-Restored)

Steve Holmes
10-25-2012, 03:09 AM
The Brute! Allan Moffats ill-fated XB GT Falcon hardtop, at Sandown, 1974. The Falcon started life as an XA GT, and one of the six RPO83 cars, originally raced by Fred Gibson in 1973. It was one of three factory team cars from '73 before Ford pulled out of racing at the end of that season. Moffats own XA GT was demolished at Phillip Island in late '73, so Ford gave him Gibsons car, so he could keep racing in 1974. He upgraded it with XB sheet metal, with Brut 33 sponsorship in early 1974, before it was flown in secret to the US in the belly of a Pan-Am 747 to the dis-used Kar-Kraft facilities in Michigan, where Lee Dykstra tore it back to bare metal, and rebuilt it with the intention of winning Bathurst.

Its first Aussie race after its rebuild was here at Sandown, with new colour scheme, huge Nascar style race numbers and Minilite wheels. It was a work of art, and raised the bar in Aussie touring car racing. Moffat killed the opposition, winning the Sandown 400, but it failed miserably after a couple of small issues compounded to create a domino effect that turned into a complete disaster at Bathurst. It qualified a lowly 15th, and stumbled through 92 laps before being retired, after countless problems.

In 1975 the car raced in selected ATCC rounds, before being repainted bright red with gold highlights, and gold Minilites, but was destroyed when Moffats race transporter caught fire on its way to the Adelaide ATCC round in 1976.

Steve Holmes
10-26-2012, 12:11 AM
If only this one came with sound! Blast-off at Lakeside, 1970. Beechey lights up the bags as the Monaro squirms, while Geoghegan gets away much more cleanly, if less spectacularly! In behind Geoghegan is Chris Brauer in the ex-Jane Mustang that was destroyed here at Lakeside.

Steve Holmes
10-26-2012, 03:31 AM
D'ya think Bob had to pay these girls to throw themselves at him, or were they just naturally drawn to him?

Steve Holmes
10-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Blast-off for the final race in the 1971 ATCC at Oran Park, and the beginning of what would be a hugely dramatic title-deciding race. After 6 rounds, Bob Jane led Allan Moffat on points, Jane on 34, Moffat on 31. Jane had won two races, Moffat three. The points paid 9 for a win, 6 for second. If Moffat won the race, he'd also win the title, on account of having scored more race wins.

From the start Moffat charged away, while Jane missed a gear and dropped back to third behind Geoghegan, before getting past on lap three. But by that stage Moffat was long gone, and looked to be heading towards winning his first ATCC. But on lap 16, the Mustang slowed, as Moffat found the gearbox jammed in second gear. He stopped, rectified it, and took off again, but by this stage had dropped to third. He quickly hauled in Geoghegan, but couldn't find a way past, and lost huge time to Jane. Eventually he tried a desperate move around the outside of the Loop, the pair bounced off each other, but then he was off and gone.

He began catching Jane, until the gap was at six seconds, then the Camaro lifted the pace. Moffat reacted, and was right on the rear bumper of the Camaro coming through the final turn for the last time, but just missed out. Jane was champion.

In fact, Moffat really lost the title way back at Sandown in Round 3, when he was leading by nearly a minute, and was black-flagged because of something hanging down under the car. He ignored the black flag until right at the very end of the race, came charging into the pits, had it OK'd then went back out and won by 40 seconds. But officials deemed him to have ignored the black flagged, and stripped him of the win, and giving Jane the 9 points.

Steve Holmes
10-27-2012, 05:35 AM
Bob gives a pre-race team talk. Frank Gardner looks less than convinced.

Steve Holmes
10-27-2012, 05:49 AM
Moffat and the ill-fated International Harvester transporter and XB race car that were both destroyed by fire en-route to Round 9 of the 1976 ATCC at Adelaide.

Steve Holmes
10-27-2012, 05:54 AM
I know of his Improved Production cars the ZL1 Camaro is most peoples favourites, but for me the HQ Monaro in its original IP guise is as good as it gets.

Steve Holmes
10-29-2012, 02:17 AM
Nice action shots here, from the Calder round of the 1971 ATCC:

Winner: Beechey

Steve Holmes
10-29-2012, 02:17 AM
Runner Up: Geoghegan

Steve Holmes
10-29-2012, 02:19 AM
After taking pole, and leading the early laps, Moffat retired with an overheating motor:

Steve Holmes
10-29-2012, 02:23 AM
Neat shot of Bob and the Camaro at Calder.

Steve Holmes
10-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Incredible shot here of Frank Matich in the McLaren at Sandown.

Steve Holmes
10-30-2012, 11:50 PM

Steve Holmes
10-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Brian Foleys beautiful little GTA lifts the inside front waaaaaaayyy in the air!

Steve Holmes
10-30-2012, 11:53 PM
More of the Beechey Nova.

Steve Holmes
11-01-2012, 10:08 PM
This photo is just fantastic, in so many ways. I used to love those old twin-axle buses.

Steve Holmes
11-01-2012, 10:12 PM

Jim Richards' amazing Falcon XC hardtop Sports Sedan racer. This car first appeared in 1978, after several lengthy delays, and was really the first car since 1976 to genuinely compete against Frank Gardners Chev Corvair, which, by the time the Falcon finally appeared, was being driven by Allan Grice.

Steve Holmes
11-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Engine bay of the Repco Torana Sports Sedan

Steve Holmes
11-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Then and now (or now and then). The heartbeat of Moffats Mustang

GD66
11-01-2012, 10:17 PM
This photo is just fantastic, in so many ways. I used to love those old twin-axle buses.

Flat, flat countryside, a distant Total sign and a winners' garland : have to be Rheims 1966.

Steve Holmes
11-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Great shot of Moffats Monza, alongside his transporter.

Steve Holmes
11-05-2012, 03:23 AM
The car that steam-rolled Australian Sports Sedan racing, Frank Gardners Chev Corvair. This is an early photo when it was still painted white.

Steve Holmes
11-05-2012, 03:40 AM
Remember this one? Allan Moffats Alan Mann Racing Escort FVA. Moffat raced this car from time to time in Sports Sedan races during the early 70s. After its British Saloon Car Championship duties it was apparently sent over from the US, where it sat at Holman-Moody, with plans to run it in the U2 class in the Trans-Am. This never actually happened, it was eventually flown to Australia in late 1970 for Moffat to race in Sports Sedan events, as SS was a rapidly growing category. But it was rarely seen. It was initially white and blue, then painted red.

Steve Holmes
11-05-2012, 03:52 AM
Another shot of the Moffat Escort, leading Bobs Repco Torana.

Steve Holmes
11-05-2012, 03:53 AM
Pete Geoghegan in the Super Falcon. This car is often referred to as a GTHO, but my understanding is that its not.

Steve Holmes
11-05-2012, 04:00 AM
The aftermath, or a small portion of it, of the multi-car crash that stopped the 1981 Bathurst 1000 after 121 laps when Bob Morris came together with Christine Gibson at McPhillamy Park. Morris, in the #7 Falcon, was in second place at the time, half a minute behind race leader Dick Johnson. Many of Johnsons critiques were quick to point out had the race gone the full 161 laps, he may not have won. Johnson finally got redemption when he won the 1989 Bathurst, this time the race going the full distance.

thunder427
11-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Jim Richards' amazing Falcon XC hardtop Sports Sedan racer. This car first appeared in 1978, after several lengthy delays, and was really the first car since 1976 to genuinely compete against Frank Gardners Chev Corvair, which, by the time the Falcon finally appeared, was being driven by Allan Grice.

>...If your sitting on a 'Lazzy' $225000,you can own/drive this very Famous car,restoration 2/3rds completed ,$70ks worth of 351 by Pat Purcell/to be dynoed before install.....drop me a line!!!....thunder427/Myles:cool:

Rod Grimwood
11-05-2012, 02:06 PM
The aftermath, or a small portion of it, of the multi-car crash that stopped the 1981 Bathurst 1000 after 121 laps when Bob Morris came together with Christine Gibson at McPhillamy Park. Morris, in the #7 Falcon, was in second place at the time, half a minute behind race leader Dick Johnson. Many of Johnsons critiques were quick to point out had the race gone the full 161 laps, he may not have won. Johnson finally got redemption when he won the 1989 Bathurst, this time the race going the full distance.

The blue car
She was not turning over too good when it arrived back in pits, wee bit hot and seazeing up, turn off and run down hill. So a dicky bird said back then.

Dale Harvey
11-05-2012, 09:34 PM
I heard similar stories back then about the blue car.
Dale.

Steve Holmes
11-07-2012, 10:46 PM
The following photos all seem to mostly relate to Bruce McLaren, with whom Bob had a close association. I believe all the photos are supplied by Schlegelmilch Photography, with the exception of the 1967 Can-Am image at the end.

Steve Holmes
11-07-2012, 10:47 PM

Steve Holmes
11-07-2012, 10:48 PM

Steve Holmes
11-07-2012, 10:49 PM

Steve Holmes
11-07-2012, 11:28 PM

Steve Holmes
11-08-2012, 10:06 PM
For me, Moffats Mustang didn't look quite as good when it was in the silver and green of Brut 33, and I really love silver race cars. But it was just as staunch as ever, as captured here.

Steve Holmes
11-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Another shot of the Moffat Mustang in Brut colours, this time on the back of the Ford transporter. Is this the same truck the Bowdens have in their collection?

Steve Holmes
11-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Formula Sierra! 1987 was a difficult year for any team trying to get a handle on the new Sierra Cosworth/RS500, but by 1988, it was pointless turning up at the track with anything else. Eight of the ten fastest qualifiers at Bathurst in 1988 were RS500s. Dick Johnson was running the fastest Group A touring cars in Australia by this stage, if not the world. He turned up at Bathurst with three cars after having dominated the ATCC and outrun the top RS500s at Silverstone. The other teams must have been quaking in their boots at Bathurst, but the DJR effort was a bit of a disaster. The Johnson/Bowe car was leading comfortably when it blew a rear tyre down Conrod and spun wildly, amazingly without actually hitting anything. But there was plenty of damage done as a result of the shredded tyre and high speed spin. This car was retired after 22 laps. The #28 DJR car was out four laps later with a mechanical problem. Johnson was quoted as saying "We might need to bring five cars next year", tongue in cheek, but he did expect to win this race. The sole-surviving DJR car, in which Johnson himself did a driving stint after his own car retired, finished second behind the Tony Longhurst/Tomas Mezera RS500.

This race was actually run under FISA rules, and therefore, was required to be a rolling start, the one and only time this has happened at Bathurst.

Steve Holmes
11-19-2012, 11:49 PM
More Sierra's. This looks to be a VERY early photo of the two Dick Johnson cars. Looking closely, these aren't even the homologated RS500 models, they're the original Cosworths, so this would be earlier in 1987.

Steve Holmes
11-19-2012, 11:58 PM
After Peter Brock split with Holden, he struggled through much of 1987 with no money. He raced Commodores throughout 1987, but the writing looked to be on the wall for this model, with more potent machinery being purpose-built in Europe and homologated for Group A. Jim Richards won the 1987 ATCC in one of two beautiful black JPS sponsored BMW M3s, run by Frank Gardner. After the Gardner team closed at the end of the season, Brock bought the two M3s, and teamed up once again with Jim Richards, who drove the second car, both with Mobil backing. But it wasn't to be a fruitful season, the M3s were now comfortably outpaced in Group A, Brock ran the cars for just one year, before doing the unthinkable, and switching to a Ford for 1989.

Steve Holmes
11-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Former motorcycle racing ace Graeme Crosby decided to get into touring car racing in the mid-80s, after his two-wheeled career had ended. He started out racing an elderly BMW 635CSi, before purchasing in early 1986 the beautiful black and gold AC&B Brock built Commodore previously raced by Ray Smith and Denny Hulme. Croz ran much of the '86 ATCC, initially without any backing, until Bob Jane T-Marts offered some help. The Commodore looked terrible with its interim paint scheme, remnants of the Ray Smith colours, but it was treated to a fresh coat of Bob Jane orange later in the year.

I spoke with Crosby about his brief period in Group A, and it was a time he'd rather forget. He poured a couple hundred thousand of his own money into it, and had little financial support. Bob Jane didn't actually give him any sponsorship money, rather just free tyres, although that certainly helped reduce the costs. Croz had a short and colourful career in Group A, but was gone again by the end of 1987. However, he left a lasting impression. His old Commodore has been restored in recent years, and painted in his orange Bob Jane T-Marts colours. High praise, considering the owner could have restored it to the gold and black AC&B colours in which it was raced by NZs only World Champion.

Steve Holmes
11-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Welcome to the Thunderdome, folks. Bob brings Nascar to Australia. Unfortunately, Nascar never actually held any of their events at the Calder Thunderdome. During the late 80s and 90s, stock car racing took place here, with locally owned teams. Too bad Nascar didn't want to venture to Australia, could have been something special.

Steve Holmes
11-22-2012, 04:48 AM
John Goss and his lady friends, promoting Aunger Wheels. Thats Goss' Falcon hardtop Sports Sedan in picture, not his Group C car.

Steve Holmes
11-22-2012, 04:51 AM
Nice shot here of Bob's '68 Shelby Trans-Am Mustang, during its brief period in Aus with original blue paint before getting sprayed in Bob Jane orange.

Steve Holmes
11-23-2012, 08:27 PM
A really interesting car this, and I reckon if it weren't for the caption at the bottom, many people would have no idea who this is. Kingsley Hibbard was the second owner of the famous Pete Geoghegan Super Falcon when he bought the car in 1973, but prior to purchasing this car, he owned another Falcon, that was itself pretty awesome. This is Kingsley in 1972, in the Falcon he had built up at great expense for the final season under Improved Production rules. It certainly looked the goods but apparently Hibbard wasn't very happy with it. I'd heard Ron Harrop built it, but I'm not sure if thats correct or not. Someone else here may know? Where is it now?

mid-year
11-23-2012, 10:19 PM
This was an interesting car for several reasons,I think it only ran a couple of times but famously had an engine blow up on Con-rod straight at a reportedly 182 mph! Hibbard then sued the engine builder and this saga dragged through the Victorian courts for many years before being resolved. I think Hibbard may still have the car.

Regards Pete.

mid-year
11-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Another grainy B/W shot but once again demonstrating the awesome power output the top engine builders from Australia were extracting from 351 Clevelands at this early stage in their life.

Regards Pete.14012

zombie289
11-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Wow, what a evil looking car! Would love to know the in & outs of this one.... Was Kingsley a successful racer?? He seems to not have an understanding of throttle control ;p

Steve Holmes
11-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks for that info on the Hibbard Falcon Pete, and the extra photo. I've not seen that one before. Was it a big horsepower motor? The car was reportedly a big dollar machine at the time, but, as you say, didn't do many racing miles, and was rarely mentioned. Pretty tough looking machine with those big bubble flares.

Hibbard apparently debuted the car at Calder, Round 2 of the 1972 ATCC where he started off the rear of the grid after missing qualifying. Its possible thats where both of these photos are taken? Bathurst was Round 3, thats where the engine went. Was it seen again after this?

Steve Holmes
11-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Actually, going through the results in my ATCC history book, Hibbard picked up points at Round 4 of the ATCC at Sandown. Looks like he finished 4th behind Moffat, Jane and Beechey.

Steve Holmes
11-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Wow, what a evil looking car! Would love to know the in & outs of this one.... Was Kingsley a successful racer?? He seems to not have an understanding of throttle control ;p

Pauly, Hibbard did some production racing in the mid-60s, but seems to have gone a little quiet in the later part of the decade, before appearing with this car in 1972. But I've not seen him in any other ATCC results prior to this. He then bought the Pete Geoghegan Super Falcon in early 1973 and raced it as a Sports Sedan.

fullnoise68
11-26-2012, 09:03 PM
No understanding of throttle control......please....tyre smoke, that is generally what happens when you have the kahunas to exploit an engine thats got some real horsepower.... even if it`s a Ford.

mid-year
11-26-2012, 10:37 PM
After the engine blow up at the 1972 Easter ATTC round I believe the litigation began which was not finalised until many years later and apparently the car never ran again after Sandown. It would appear the car only ran in three rounds of the 72 championship so it was a very costly exercise. Does anyone have a colour photo of it?

It must have had horsepower approaching the factory Super Falcons. a real shame so little is known about this wild car.

Regards Pete.

mid-year
11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Kingsley missed the start of the Sandown ATTC round and had to start from the back but stormed through the field to take fourth.14067

Regards Pete

Steve Holmes
11-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Great work Pete, this is a really interesting and dramatic race car for sure. I'd love to know what sort of condition its currently in. You have to assume if its never been torn apart then it should be quite original, as Hibbard bought the Geoghegan car to race in 1973 as a Sports Sedan. He had the firewall moved back in the Geoghegan car and fitted perspex windows etc, to lighten it up. These were fairly typical modifications for the period, but otherwise this car was apparently not changed greatly from when Geoghegan had it. So Hibbards '72 Falcon must have just sat in the corner while he concentrated on the Geoghegan car.

Although this photo from Old Race Photos www.oldracephotos.com lists this car as ex-Geoghegan, I suspect it could be the Hibbard car, as the rear flares look like his, whereas the rear flares on the Geoghegan car were much more subtle. It has silver kidney bean mags, whereas the wheels on the Geoghegan car were painted green when the body was painted Grace Bros yellow. Also, it looks like a brighter yellow than the Geoghegan car.

mid-year
11-27-2012, 02:11 AM
Great detective work Steve,yes that will be the Hibbard car for sure.

Regards Pete.

Steve Holmes
11-27-2012, 04:35 AM
This has really got me interested to know if the car is still about, and what condition its in.

zombie289
11-27-2012, 04:54 AM
No understanding of throttle control......please....tyre smoke, that is generally what happens when you have the kahunas to exploit an engine thats got some real horsepower.... even if it`s a Ford.

I have no doubt it had tons of grunt, but his lack of mechanical sympathy might also explain why it grenaded down conrod straight over the humps.... :)

mid-year
11-27-2012, 06:35 AM
I remember that 1972 Easter meeting for two memorable events...the incredible dual between Moffat/Geoghegan during the fantastic ATTC race and Hibbard blowing his engine prior to having to take the escape road at the end of con-rod. The announcer later said Kingsley had been timed at the unheard of speed of 182 mph! He must have kept his boot in to it for far too long and, disregarding the engine losing it,s lunch ,I doubt if he had any chance of making it thru Murray,s as he was going so fast

The fastest recorded top speed of a series production Phase 3 was 155mph by John French in the 1972 HF500,that in itself is an amazing speed given the cross-winds,humps etc so how much horsepower and how many brave pills does it take to force a very un-aerodynamic XY over 180mph ?!
Kingsley obviously knew no fear.

When David Bowden brought the ex Geoghegan lightweight Super Falcon from Kingsley he still owned the Yellow-Glo car.(circa early 90,s )

Regards Pete.

Steve Holmes
11-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Wow, Pete, I had to go and convert that. 182 mph = just under 293 kph! Thats REALLY hauling! Can you recall how competitive the car was at Bathurst before blowing its guts out?

According to the AMC feature on the Geoghegan car several years ago, Bowden tracked Hibbard down in 1982, and bought the car a year later. I guess the other Falcon was there too. Be nice to think its still just sat there, but who knows?

mid-year
11-27-2012, 10:38 PM
A case of too little time for development and too little racing miles for driver familarisation....what could have been if the Improved Production category was not dumped by CAMS? With enough time and sorting the car may have been as competitive as the top runners.

It sure would be nice to see the car resurrected one day.

Regards Pete.

mid-year
11-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Whilst the two factory Super Falcons were constructed with lightweight bodies it is interesting to note that this shot of the Moffat car in XW guise is carrying it,s full original ( and rather luxurious ) interior.14097

Steve Holmes
11-28-2012, 02:49 AM
Great looking article there Pete! IP rules required that full interiors be retained. Moffat tells a great story of how he was forced to fit carpet and full interior into his Mustang, and how it used to heat up during a race and start producing fumes inside the car. But I assume there was no minimum weight in the category, if teams went to such efforts to get weight out of the cars?

Steve Holmes
11-28-2012, 02:53 AM
A case of too little time for development and too little racing miles for driver familarisation....what could have been if the Improved Production category was not dumped by CAMS? With enough time and sorting the car may have been as competitive as the top runners.

It sure would be nice to see the car resurrected one day.

Regards Pete.

As much as I enjoy the early years of Sports Sedans, I would loved to have seen Improved Production be retained for at least a few more years. There were some good cars coming on, and its interesting to wonder what Beechey might have built to replace the HT had he stayed in it. Bob Jane had built his new HQ Monaro, Malcolm Ramsay built a very effective HQ Kingswood with F5000 motor. The costs did seem to be spiralling, but I think had Improved Production been retained for 1973, at least, there could have been some exciting racing.

thunder427
11-28-2012, 01:47 PM
14000[/QUOTE]

Steve, this car was built By Ron Harrop, at the Harrop Family Engineering workshop,in nothing more than a one car bay ,surrounded by Lathes and other pieces of large machineery,this facility was in Colebrock St., Brunswick,Chris Farrell,Master bodyman, who I have spoke of before. was responsible for the Body Mods,flares etc...rear flares on a 4door owing to that tricky 'Dog Leg' are super difficult .but after talking to Chris today,he explained that Ron Had fitted F5000 tyres to the rear of the Falcon,the sidewalls proved to be the 'weak link'as with the wieght of the Falcon it moved around to much..read 'body roll'....the tyre rubbing on both the inner and outer inner fenders.........these where the best set of 'Flares I ever saw on a 4door car, Chris had a great eye for getting the shapes to flow......Chris also was responsible for flares on Norms Monaro that visited NZ,Jane's Camaro,Moffats Mustang,sectioning fenders to suit Kar Kraft Profile,umpteen Drag Monaro's /Camaro's/Mustangs..unfortunately Chris, due to a 'Stroke and a fall in the shower while recovering ,has left him stuck in a 'Bloody' wheel chair....Bob Jane and Myself have just equiped,this week, Chris with an I.Pad and a 'Apple' 3GS so that he can become a member of 'The Roaring Seasons/Bob Jane Racing Heritage.....he has a wonderful 'recall' of events and people and names from our past and he cant wait to keep Steve Busy.......Regards Thunder427/Myles:cool:
PS; wait till I get CHris to tell you all the story of taking a 'Fibreglass Mould of a 'Loan' Chrysler Charger from Norms Beechey's Chrysler dealer ship.....Salesman accussed Chris of having 'Thrown-up' in it,owing to the fact the Charge was Entombed in a Fibreglass Cacoon, for a number of days,the inside smelt that Sickly over sweet smell of Fibreglass.........over to Chris...Very Soon!!!!!:o

Shano
11-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Look forward to hearing Chris' stories.

Steve Holmes
11-29-2012, 02:53 AM
Thanks Myles, thats a really great description. I agree 100% re the flares, they look fantastic, and especially on a car which doesn't lend itself well to flares that size. Chris really pulled it off here. What a shame this car didn't race more, it deserves its place in history, and yet very few actually even know it exists.

Steve Holmes
11-29-2012, 03:17 AM
Hey Myles, were the rear flares on the Hibbard Falcon steel or fibreglass? I just assumed they were steel, as with most of the other cars you mention Chris was responsible for. But their shape is so impressive I figured it'd be a difficult job making those from steel.

thunder427
11-29-2012, 03:59 AM
Steve, STEEL!!!!.....your right to assume the 'glass' concept, but as I stated, Chris was the 'Master' with a 'Hammer and Dolly' and the amazing thing was how quick he could 'rough out' the basic's, but what really impressed me most was how've would get the 'Left to match the 'Right........ 'Eye ball' measuring stick,only!...........Myles!

Steve Holmes
11-29-2012, 04:02 AM
Wow, that is REALLY impressive! Thats a real fine art.

Steve Holmes
11-30-2012, 05:46 AM
1972, the third and final year Beechey raced his famous HT Monaro. Sadly, it wasn't to be a good season, he finished a distant 13th in the championship, a best result being third at Sandown behind Moffat and Jane. That was the only ATCC race in 1972 the Monaro saw the chequered flag, it didn't reach the finish in any other race.

Pictured here is Beechey in a Sports Sedan race, with the Jane Torana in close company, and, further back, the amazing little Mike Stillwell twin-cam Escort that almost won the 1972 ATCC.

Steve Holmes
12-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Great photo here of Norm Beechey battling Pete Geoghegan at Lakeside, in 1966. But who is driving the second Mustang in shot? Could this be Bryan Thomson in the ex-Beechey car?

Steve Holmes
12-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Bob in the Camaro in 1972, following what was surely another clash with Moffat.

Steve Holmes
12-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Crowded Moffat pit box as the crew tend to a wheel change.

Steve Holmes
12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Nice publicity shot, at Bathurst. From left to right, Bob Morris, Colin Bond, Peter Brock, Allan Moffat, John Goss, Doug Chivas. What year is this?

Steve Holmes
12-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Oran Park, 1972. This is the final round of the 1972 ATCC. Moffat had already lost the championship, but looks pretty happy to have rounded out the season with a race win.

Steve Holmes
12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
And as Moffat celebrated his race win, Bob celebrated back-to-back ATCC titles, after coming home third.

zombie289
12-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Great photo here of Norm Beechey battling Pete Geoghegan at Lakeside, in 1966. But who is driving the second Mustang in shot? Could this be Bryan Thomson in the ex-Beechey car?

Yep has to be Thommo, Im not sure who he sold it to after he was done with it, but Im sure it was repainted and Im pretty sure he owned in till late 67

darren
12-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Nice publicity shot, at Bathurst. From left to right, Bob Morris, Colin Bond, Peter Brock, Allan Moffat, John Goss, Doug Chivas. What year is this?

143121977??

Steve Holmes
12-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks Darren, if only the sponsor logos on Brocks overalls were easier to read, that would make it much easier to date.

Dale Harvey
12-05-2012, 01:11 AM
That's Bruce McPhee, not Doug Chivas.
Dale.

mid-year
12-05-2012, 01:49 AM
I have a Hardie -Ferodo tenth anniversary poster celebrating the running of the annual Bathurst enduro( the Hardie sponsership began in 1968 )which features a shot of each winning car (1968/1976 ) and a central group shot of each driver and they are wearing identical race suits as in the promo photo so I am guessing this was taken at the same time.This poster was made available in 1977.

Regards Pete.

mid-year
12-05-2012, 02:31 AM
Oran Park, 1972. This is the final round of the 1972 ATCC. Moffat had already lost the championship, but looks pretty happy to have rounded out the season with a race win.

Was someone else driving or was Moff steering with his feet ??!!

Steve Holmes
12-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Must be one of his crew in there somewhere Pete. I miss scenes like this, where the driver and crew etc pile on top of the car to celebrate with the crowd. Health and Safety don't allow it anymore.

Steve Holmes
12-06-2012, 09:44 PM
I have a Hardie -Ferodo tenth anniversary poster celebrating the running of the annual Bathurst enduro( the Hardie sponsership began in 1968 )which features a shot of each winning car (1968/1976 ) and a central group shot of each driver and they are wearing identical race suits as in the promo photo so I am guessing this was taken at the same time.This poster was made available in 1977.

Regards Pete.

Thanks Pete.

Steve Holmes
12-06-2012, 09:44 PM
That's Bruce McPhee, not Doug Chivas.
Dale.

Thanks for the correction Dale.

Steve Holmes
12-06-2012, 09:46 PM
More celebration photos

Steve Holmes
12-06-2012, 09:47 PM

Rod Grimwood
12-07-2012, 02:48 AM

The convertable driver is not a person who now races a Camaro, and owns a HDT car among other cars. ?

Steve Holmes
12-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Amazing photo here from Oran Park, 1972. I believe this is the final round of the 1972 ATCC, and, therefore, also the last ATCC race held under the Improved production rules. Anyone want to try and guess the line-up of visible cars shown here?

mid-year
12-31-2012, 06:53 AM
P1-I.Geoghegan...Falcon Lightweight

P2-A.Moffat.........Mustang Trans-Am
P3-R.Jane...........Camaro ZL-1
P4-J.Harvey........Monaro GTS 350
P5-R.Johnson......Torana XU-1

P6-M.Gore..........Mustang
P7-J.Goss...........Falcon GTHO
P8-T.Allen...........Charger E-49
P9-P.Brown.........Alfa GTV
P10-D.Holland......Torana XU-1

Steve Holmes
01-04-2013, 04:02 AM
Pete, brilliant! Out of interest, what was the history of the Gore Mustang? Was it the former Allen/Cusack/Gibson car by chance?

mid-year
01-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Yes thats right Steve,I did go to have a look at it when Gore was selling it after purchasing the Beechy Monaro but am not sure what became of it after that.

Regards Pete.

Steve Holmes
01-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks Pete. So this must be the car thats for sale in the US now?

There is a photo somewhere on this site of the Mustang at a later stage in its life. Pretty sure its one Ellis French posted here. I'll try and find it.

Ellis
01-05-2013, 04:49 AM
Thanks Pete. So this must be the car thats for sale in the US now?

There is a photo somewhere on this site of the Mustang at a later stage in its life. Pretty sure its one Ellis French posted here. I'll try and find it.

http://www.carpartsandmore.com.au/mustang/improved_production04.htm

and

Ex Niel Allen etc Shelby for sale in USA 2012
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/exNAllencarforsaleinUSA2012_zps7ff41a34.jpg

Steve Holmes
01-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks Ellis, brilliant!

Steve Holmes
01-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Heres a couple posted on the Mustangs picture thread by Ellis. Nice looking car:

Steve Holmes
01-07-2013, 01:56 AM
OK, some 70s Sports Sedans:

Bob's Repco Torana

Steve Holmes
01-07-2013, 01:58 AM
The Holden Dealer Team Beast, which was really an old nail of a thing. Its long gone, but someone has recently built a replica.

Steve Holmes
01-07-2013, 01:59 AM
The John Goss XA Falcon hardtop. Again, long gone.

Steve Holmes
01-07-2013, 02:02 AM
The John Kay Indy Speed Shop Camaro. This car is still around, though much modified and baring little resemblance to how it looks here.

Steve Holmes
01-07-2013, 02:03 AM
Two tough Monaro's. Pete Geoghegan in the HJ/HQ, up the inside of Bobs HQ.

Steve Holmes
02-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Interesting photo here. This is Bobs McLaren M6B, which he owned from new. Denny Hulme is doing some demo laps with the car. What a great photo!

Steve Holmes
02-03-2013, 11:14 PM
This is the Bathurst round of the 1972 Australian Touring Car Championship. Some people consider this to be the best race in ATCC history, as Pete Geoghegan and Allan Moffat battled for lap after lap, the Super Falcon pulling away up Mountain Straight and back down Conrod, while the Mustang closed up everywhere else. The Falcon was spewing oil all over Moffats windscreen, so he undid his seatbelts in the final laps and stuck his head out the side window. It was dramatic stuff!

The grid is still forming here, and beyond the first couple of rows, the line-up consisted mostly of series production cars, as the Improved Production numbers were dwindling by 1972. Jane led up the mountain for the first time, but Moffat quickly went by, followed by Geoghegan. Beechey and Jane retired, but nobody really seemed to notice, as Geoghegan and Moffat set about putting on a titanic show, in which the lead was swapped over and over. Geoghegan was leading when the checker fell after 13 laps. With a championship to win, Moffat lodged a protest about the smoke screen being laid by the Falcon, but the results stood, and this proved to be the one and only ATCC race won by a Super Falcon.

I guess now that all the cars in Aussie touring car racing are manipulated to create close racing, through all being essentially identical, close racing is now quite common, but back in 1972, battles like this were purely natural, and almost a freak occurrence that was made ever more special and memorable by the circumstances.

Steve Holmes
02-08-2013, 03:36 AM
If only this one came with sound! Blast-off at Lakeside, 1970. Beechey lights up the bags as the Monaro squirms, while Geoghegan gets away much more cleanly, if less spectacularly! In behind Geoghegan is Chris Brauer in the ex-Jane Mustang that was destroyed here at Lakeside.

This photo is by Graham Ruckert. Check out more of Grahams stunning photos on his Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/GrahamRuckertPhotography

Steve Holmes
02-08-2013, 03:37 AM
Brian Foleys beautiful little GTA lifts the inside front waaaaaaayyy in the air!

Another of Graham Ruckerts beautiful photos.

Steve Holmes
02-08-2013, 03:40 AM
Pete Geoghegan in the Super Falcon. This car is often referred to as a GTHO, but my understanding is that its not.

This is also one of Graham Ruckerts photos. Thanks for contacting me about these Graham, its always good to be able to credit the photographer where possible.

Guys, if you haven't checked out Grahams Facebook page already, please do so. You'll really enjoy the other photos he has posted there, some absolutely incredible action shots: http://www.facebook.com/GrahamRuckertPhotography

Steve Holmes
02-25-2013, 12:50 AM
A couple of superb shots here of the Pete Geoghegan driven, Laurie O'Neal owned HQ/HJ Monaro Sports Sedan, from 1975. These appear to be when the car was brand spanking new, and lined up next to the teams transporter. Perhaps a press day or test day? Either way, a great looking car, and to my mind, far better looking here in its first season than with the massive bodykit that appeared in 1976.

Steve Holmes
02-25-2013, 12:52 AM
This is how corporate booths looked in the 1970s!

Steve Holmes
02-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Blast-off at Calder, in a Sports Sedan race in either late 1972 or early '73. Furthest from camera appears to be Bob's Repco V8 Torana, which is probably being driven by John Harvey. Then there are the Jane Camaro and Beechey Monaro. In behind appears to be the beautiful John Bassett Escort.

Steve Holmes
03-06-2013, 01:29 AM
Allan Moffats DeKon Chevy Monza, which Moff purchased in 1975 to tackle the Australian Sports Sedan scene. He used the Monza, plus his beautiful quad-cam V6 Capri to win the 1976 ASSC, before bowing to pressure to stick with the Ford brand, so parked the Monza. After Ford had withdrawn from touring car racing at the end of 1978, Moffat was free to dust off the Monza and race it again, and treated it to this wild paint scheme, similar to that which appeared on his XC Falcon hardtop Group C car, but with a metallic brown base coat, rather than black. But by 1979, the level of competition in Sports Sedan racing had increased dramatically, and the Monza wasn't as competitive as it was when last raced in '76. But damn it sure looked good!

Steve Holmes
03-06-2013, 01:32 AM
Having stepped away from running his wild big block '68 Camaro Improved Production racer in favour of a cheaper V8 Torana Sports Sedan, Bryan Thomson had this wild mid-engined Sports Sedan built, cloaked in a VW body. This appears to be a publicity photo, so perhaps the VW was still new at this stage.

Steve Holmes
03-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Drag race here between Allan Moffats RS3100 Capri, and Bob Janes V8 Repco Torana. Moffats Capri was one of the works 1974 ETCC quad-cam V6 cars. Moffat raced it in 1975 and 1976. 1976 was the first year CAMS held an Australian championship for the Sports Sedan category, and Moffat used this car, along with the DeKon Chevy Monza pictured above, to win the championship. This car is now owned by Gordon Burr in New Zealand, and is raced a couple of times a year quite enthusiastically.

Steve Holmes
03-11-2013, 12:42 AM
Oran Park, 1972. The final round of the '72 Australian Touring Car Championship, and the final ATCC race held under the outgoing Improved Production rules. Here Allan Moffat and Pete Geoghegan lead the field away at the start. Bob Jane already had the championship wrapped up, having won four of the first seven races. His biggest challenger once again was Allan Moffat, but Moffats chances went down the gurgler following a protest by Jane at the Warwick Farm round, where the two had come together during an attempt to pass by Moffat which spun Jane down the order.

Moffat went on to win at the Farm, but Jane's successful protest stripped Moffat of his 13 points for the win. In fact, Jane's closest challenger for the championship was young Michael Stillwell in the Twin-Cam Escort, thanks to a curious points system which rewarded class cars against outright points. Stillwell actually led the points at times during the season but ultimately finished second.

Steve Holmes
03-11-2013, 12:46 AM
.......................and moments later, as the field drags to the first corner. Moffat and Geoghegan lead Jane and John Harvey, driving Jane's new HQ Monaro. Just coming into picture also is the Torana nose of a young Dick Johnson, having made the trek down from Queensland to take part. Johnson was rewarded with a 4th place finish.

John McKechnie
03-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Is that the same Stillwell that protested the windscreen on Faheys Escort, when Fahey took it to Oz, was not correct minutes before a race,, and so got him removed from their race so he could win?
Apparently it looked different when the sun shone on it

Steve Holmes
03-11-2013, 12:50 AM
More from the 1972 ATCC final at Oran Park. Pete Geoghegan charged off from the front row to lead, while Moffat dropped back behind Harvey, where he stayed until lap 25. He then took off after Geoghegan, who'd pulled out a good gap, but began to slow towards the end. Moffat passed the Super Falcon with three laps to run, and took the win.

Steve Holmes
03-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Bob Jane spent up large building this stunning new HQ Monaro coupe to Improved Production rules, to replace his Camaro. The Monaro finally made its race debut at the penultimate round of the 1972 ATCC, driven by John Harvey. Here at the Oran Park final, Harvey held second place for much of the race behind Geoghegan, while a frustrated Moffat worked like crazy to get past, which he eventually did as the Monaro's brakes began to give trouble.

For 1973, the Monaro raced as a Sports Sedan, and Jane raced it until the end of 1978. I believe Jane raced this car for more years than any other car he owned.

Steve Holmes
03-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Here he is, the man himself, about to be crowned ATCC champion for the fourth (and final) time.

Steve Holmes
04-02-2013, 01:09 AM
This is an interesting photo! In 1984 Dick Johnson went to Germany and purchased two Zakspeed Mustangs in preparation for the impending switch to Group A for 1985. Johnson was still racing his XE Falcon in the final year of Group C, and won his third ATCC that year. He took one of the Mustangs to Bathurst in 1984, as much as anything to test it at the mountain, and see how it compared to the other Group A cars (which included two TWR Rovers) that were at that years race. The Group C Falcon was his main priority, but he did find some time to get in a couple of practice sessions with the Mustang, which didn't actually race.

The new Mustangs were panted white as supplied, and the car that went to Bathurst in 1984 remained so for its Bathurst appearance. The paint scheme was a reverse of the Falcons, with green lettering over white paint. Of course, by the start of the new 1985 ATCC, both cars were painted the traditional Greens-Tuf green with white lettering.

This photo was taken at Surfers Paradise, in 1984. A quick check reveals the Surfers round of the '84 ATCC was held in May, so I don't believe this was from this event. Its likely Johnson brought the car out later in the year as a special treat for the local Queensland race fans, perhaps at a lesser meeting? But note, the number is as the car appeared at Bathurst, #71, a reverse of that on the Falcon. And it would become #17 by 1985.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Steve Holmes
04-02-2013, 01:37 AM
Class of 87. Its amazing how many new Group A cars appeared in 1987. Its also amazing to see a field of Group A cars containing Sierra Cosworths, but not being headed by them. 1987 was probably the last really interesting year for Group A, in which there was a lot of manufacturer interest and numerous race winners. From 1988, the RS500s completely dominated.

This photo is from Round 3 of the 1987 ATCC, at Lakeside. And just check out all the new machines for this year! Gone are the Mustangs, BMW 635CSi's, Volvos, Alfa GTV6s, etc. New for this season are the BMW M3, Sierra Cosworth/RS500, Alfa 75. Leading here is Glenn Seton in the Nissan Skyline, now in its second season. His team mate George Fury is further back. Seton is being chased by Peter Brock, still running the older VK Commodore, having parted ways with Holden.

Next are the JPS M3s of Jim Richards, and, I think, Tony Longhurst, followed by Larry Perkins in the VK Commodore he debuted in late 1986. Behind Perkins is Allan Grice in his VL Commodore. I'm not sure if this was the Bailey owned car that won Bathurst in '86, or a new Les Small built VL. Then there are the two DJR Shell Sierras of Dick Johnson and Gregg Hansford. I'm pretty sure these cars, and the other two OXO Supercube Sierra Cosworths further back of Andrew Miedecke and Don Smith, would still be in their original Cosworth guise, with the new RS500 upgrades having not been introduced yet.

Behind the DJR cars are Colin Bonds new Alfa 75, and Neville Crichtons 1986 Sierra XR4Ti, this being an Eggenberger car. I'm sure I read somewhere at the time Crichton only planned to run the XR4 for the early rounds until a new Cosworth arrived.

Johnson had turned up the boost in the Sierra and sped through to lead for a while, but was later disqualified. Can anyone remember why? From memory it was something to do with his turbo.

This was an exciting new era for Group A, and each team must have been thinking their new machinery would have something over the opposition. Jim Richards eventually won the 1987 ATCC, after a season long battle with Seton, but Formula Sierra would take over Group A from 1988.

Steve Holmes
04-02-2013, 01:48 AM
Now for a bit of 1970s Aussie Sports Sedan action. Here is Allan Moffat getting crossed-up in his DeKon Monza. Note narrower 10" wide wheels the car was forced to run under CAMS Sports Sedan rules. To me these don't look as good as the wider wheels it originally raced with in the US and NZ.

Steve Holmes
04-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Moffat again, here being chased by Jim Richards in the Sidchrome Mustang.

Steve Holmes
04-02-2013, 01:52 AM
Moffat again, this time chasing Pete Geoghegan in the Craven Mild Monaro. This is from 1976. Moffat won the Australian Sports Sedan Championship this year, its first as a recognised Australian championship.

Steve Holmes
04-02-2013, 01:57 AM
In 1976, Kiwi driver Don Halliday took his self-built quad-cam Capri to Australia to compete in the rich Aussie Sports Sedan races, including the Australian Sports Sedan Championship, and Marlboro $100,000 series. I believe he also returned again in 1977.

Steve Holmes
04-02-2013, 02:02 AM
By the mid-1970s, Sports Sedan racing was the biggest thing in Australian motorsport. It was bigger than Group C, and bigger than F5000. But in 1976, this car appeared on the scene, and proceeded to destroy the opposition. This is Frank Gardners Chev Corvair. It first appeared in Round 5 of the ASSC, won that round, then won the remaining two rounds, to finish second in the championship. Amazingly, despite only entering three round, it finished just 6 points behind champion Allan Moffat!

Steve Holmes
04-02-2013, 02:03 AM
The Corvair again, being chased by the HDT Repco V8 Torana of Colin Bond, in one of its rare outings.

Steve Holmes
04-02-2013, 02:10 AM
In early 1977, Bob Stewart pulled Leo Leonard and the PDL Mustang II from the NZ Saloon Car Championship, which it was winning, to take the new Mustang to Australia to race. The decision was partially to promote Stewarts new Lego style Torro Toys building blocks product for kids. The car ran at Baskerville, but wasn't actually allowed to race, so was instead given its own slot, on live tv, running around doing demonstration laps. Stewart was pretty pleased about this! It also raced at Calder, against the top Aussie Sports Sedans, plus Jim Richards' Sidchrome Mustang, Don Hallidays Capri etc.

Steve Holmes
04-03-2013, 05:01 AM
The Garry Rogers Motorsport team has got off to a pretty good start in this years V8 Supercar Championship. Before becoming a team owner, Garry was himself a pretty good peddler, and raced for many years. His most recent seat time was a few years ago in a Group Nc HQ Monaro, which he was doing to let off a bit of steam while running his race team.

But here is Garry back in 1969, having graduated from FX Holdens to this EH.

This photo is by Peter D'Abbs.

Steve Holmes
04-03-2013, 05:02 AM
A couple of years later, in 1971.

Peter D'Abbs photo.

Steve Holmes
04-03-2013, 05:05 AM
And in his rapid Escort, being chased by the similar car of Michael Stillwell.

Steve Holmes
04-09-2013, 03:00 AM
Fantastic action shot here. I'm guessing this is 1968, based on the second and third cars in picture, Bryan Thomsons Mustang, and Jim McKeowns superb MkII Lotus Cortina. McKeown ran the Cortina in both 1968 and '69, but 1968 was the last season Thomson ran the ex-Norm Beechey Mustang before switching to a big block Camaro. Leading these guys is Terry Allan, in the lurching 396ci Camaro.

Steve Holmes
04-09-2013, 03:03 AM
And speaking of lurching, here is Norm Beechey in 1969 in his impossibly tall and softly sprung HK Monaro. The ground-scraping stance of Allan Moffats Mustang just makes the Monaro's ride-height seem even more lofty.

darren
04-09-2013, 05:46 AM
Loved the look of the Monaro in that guise.

Steve Holmes
04-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Impressive Sports Sedan line-up at Adelaide in 1976. This is Round 5 of the Australian Sports Sedan Championship, the first year Sports Sedans were given a national championship by CAMS.

Looking at the first couple of rows, Frank Gardner is on pole with the Chev Corvair, while Allan Moffat is next in his Capri RS3100. Moffat had actually run his DeKon Monza during the first four rounds, winning three races, but with Ford upping its involvement again with Moffat, he parked the Monza and dusted off the Capri, which he already owned. Pete Geoghegan is the third car on the front row, in the Craven Mild Monaro, now fitted with its huge flare kit, and with its nose reverted back to an HQ, after months of battling CAMS to retain the HJ nose.

On the second row is Jim Richards in the Sidchrome Mustang, enjoying another good year in Australia, winning the Marlboro $100,000 series and finishing 4th in the ASSC. Next to him is (I think) Ian Diffen in the ex-Bob Jane Torana, while Vince Gregory, in the ex-Bryan Thomson V8 VW rounds out row 2.

Further back Tony Edmonson can be seen in the ex-John McCormack Repco Charger, while further back Garry Rogers Escort and Frank Ure's V8 Torana (I think) are also visible. Good days!

This was the debut race for the Gardner Corvair. It took pole and won, then won the remaining two ASSC rounds, and finished second to Moffat in the championship, despite only making three starts.

Steve Holmes
04-16-2013, 04:42 AM
First test session (and failure) for Allan Moffats Super Falcon. Things really didn't improve from here!

Steve Holmes
04-16-2013, 08:13 PM
OK, who is driving the Plymouth?

mid-year
04-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Is it Alan Caelli in the 63 Savoy which was bulit by the factory as a"Ramcharger" for drag racing doing the "roundy-roundy'' thing at Calder ?

Pete

Steve Holmes
04-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Thanks Pete. I knew about the Ramcharger drag cars, but didn't know one was ever used for road racing. Must have taken a fair amount of work switching it across to run at Calder. The pics I've seen of them they're sat quite tall on their suspension.

mid-year
04-17-2013, 06:22 AM
Steve,I believe this car was imported by Ash Marshall for drag-racing and it did a short stint as a circuit racer and the only mod apparently was lowered suspension...By all accounts it was a rocket down the straight but hopeless in the twisty bits It was later sold to Bill Jane ( Bob,s brother ) and reverted back to a competition eliminator and saw further drag strip duty.

Pete.

Steve Holmes
04-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks Pete, great info! I had no idea about this. Just amazing!

Steve Holmes
04-30-2013, 10:51 PM
History has made Allan Moffats Kar-Kraft Mustang to be one of the most significant and popular race cars in Aussie touring car history. It never did win that elusive ATCC title, but it did win 2/3rds of the races it started. Moffat debuted the Mustang in 1969, and finally retired it in early 1975, with a New Zealand tour being the last competitive outings he had in it. It was a draw-card wherever it went, and Moffat always drove it like he stole it. These days its one of the most instantly recognisable of all Australian touring cars.

Yet, imagine if the ill-fated Ford Australia backed Super Falcon's had done as intended, and become the race winners their massive budgets suggested they should have. These cars were built because of the success Norm Beechey enjoyed in his HK and HT Monaro's in 1969 and 1970, and the kudos Holden enjoyed from that success, in what was then the most significant of touring car racing categories, run under Improved Production rules.

The Super Falcon's were built for Moffat and Pete Geoghegan in 1970. The plan was that they replace both drivers Mustangs..... and win everything in sight. Of course, this never happened. Moffat debuted his Super Falcon at the final round of the 1970 ATCC, lapping fast enough to take pole, before the motor expired. The car was still in XW trim then.

By the time of Round 2 of the 1971 ATCC (both drivers chose to race their Mustangs at the opener) the Falcon's were outfitted in XY trim, but the problems they'd suffered from the first time they turned a wheel continued.

Pete Geoghegan persevered with his Falcon, perhaps because his Mustang was already long in the tooth and he saw potential in the Falcon. But Moffat eventually gave up on his, and returned full-time to his Mustang, which went on to gain legend status.

Photos of Moffats Super Falcon are rare. Had it done what it was supposed to, photos of his Mustang would be rare instead. Here is a great photo of the Moffat Super Falcon, in XY trim, taken by Perry Drury. In the background you can see Geoghegan's Mustang. This appears to be at Calder, where Moffat also had his Mustang. The Super Falcon spluttered around in qualifying with a fuel delivery problem, before Moffat jumped in the Mustang and went over 2sec faster to take pole. Obviously, the Mustang was the car he chose for the race!

Note what appears to be either a second spoiler beneath the GT chin spoiler, or a huge brake duct (or both).

Steve Holmes
05-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Fantastic grid shot here, from, I believe, Sandown in 1970. Not sure if this is the Sandown ATCC event, but certainly most of the heavy hitters from that season are pictured. Moving forward, from the fourth row, as nearest the camera, are Bryan Thomson in the big block Camaro, Greg Ritter in the Escort, the Porsche 911s of Brian Foley and Jim McKeown, the Mustangs of Pete Geoghegan and Allan Moffat, and ahead of them is Norm Beechey in the Monaro at the front. I assume Bob Jane could be up on the front row next to him in the Mustang.

Wouldn't this make a great poster!

GD66
05-02-2013, 03:50 AM
Greg Ritter's father, Graham. Who was the sneaky photographer, Steve ?

Steve Holmes
05-02-2013, 04:01 AM
Ahh, of course, Graham Ritter, not Greg. Sorry for the confusion guys, not sure Greg was even born when this was taken. Not sure who the photographer is, its from the Bob Jane archives, which are filing cabinets full of photos, many of which are unidentified.

Steve Holmes
05-02-2013, 10:47 PM
A brilliant shot this one, capturing the action from a Sports Sedan event in either late 1972 or early 1973. John Harvey in Bob Janes Repco V8 Torana leads the boss in his new HQ Monaro, while Allan Moffat and Pete Geoghegan chase. Geoghegan picked up Grace Bros sponsorship during 1972, and the car was repainted yellow part-way through the season.

Steve Holmes
05-06-2013, 03:25 AM
What a great photo! Sometimes the best motor racing photos of all don't actually contain any racing at all. Here is the Norm Beechey EH Holden racing hauler and Mustang race car in either late 1965 or early 1966. This photo was taken by Peter Wright.

Steve Holmes
05-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Hows this for high tech! The Beechey team make running repairs to Norm's EH while on the back of the team transporter. What a cool photo!

mid-year
05-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Wow ,what a couple of fantastic Beechey shots,the transporters were very different to todays rigs.

Pete.18111

Steve Holmes
05-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Pete, thats a great looking hauler. Must have been insanely slow, but wow it just has bags of character.

Steve Holmes
05-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Great shot here of Bob Janes second Mustang, his '67. Sadly, this cars career ended as violently as Bobs first Mustang, which barrel-rolled at Catalina Park in 1965. This car, which he ran through to 1969, was destroyed at Lakeside, with new owner Chris Brauer at the wheel. This is John Harvey driving the car here.

mid-year
05-09-2013, 05:12 AM

Steve Holmes
05-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Wow, those are amazing Pete! Absolutely superb. These look to be quite early photos of the Mustang, its still has its steel wheels. I love the strap holding down the bonnet.

Rod Grimwood
05-11-2013, 11:14 PM
It appears that Mustang drivers did not use a belt to stop there jeans falling down back then, instead used them to stop their bonnets flying up, Handy and appears normal practice when you look at photos from first Mustangs.

Steve Holmes
05-21-2013, 11:34 PM
A couple of famous Dick Johnson Falcons. Johnson, in the Greens-Tuf XE in 1984, chases Alf Grant in his old car, the former Tru-Blu XD. This is the car Johnson built in 1981, which went on to net him ATCC titles in '81 and '82, plus Bathurst victory in '81. Johnson actually shared the XD with Grant in at Surfers Paradise in late 1983 after he'd destroyed his first XE in his spectacular Hardies Heroes crash at Bathurst that year.

John McKechnie
05-22-2013, 02:10 AM
It appears that Mustang drivers did not use a belt to stop there jeans falling down back then, instead used them to stop their bonnets flying up, Handy and appears normal practice when you look at photos from first Mustangs.

Not just Mustang drivers, check out Early pics of Grady in the HK Monaro - Belts on Bonnets were a very fashionable item and also were seen securing bootlids,( Rods pic #126). Must have been when everyone was wearing stubbies

Steve Holmes
05-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Legendary couple of big bangers here. Norm Beechey's awesome, long lost '68 Camaro, leads Pete Geoghegan's '67 Mustang GTA.

Steve Holmes
05-23-2013, 12:34 AM
The face of (or some of it at least) Bob Jane Racing in 1974, from top, the HQ Monaro sports sedan, the Torana L34 Group C car, and Ron Harrop'd Repco V8 EH Holden.

Steve Holmes
05-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Awesome shot here from 1969, and what a front row! Allan Moffat nearest camera in his new Mustang, while alongside is Bryan Thomson in his big block Camaro. Next to Thommo is Norm Beechey in his HK Monaro. Out of interest, what happened to Norm's HK?

John McKechnie
05-27-2013, 07:32 AM
It was found rusting in a paddock, - usual fate of HK Monaros.
Luckily it was found and restored.

Rod Grimwood
05-27-2013, 09:31 AM
It was found rusting in a paddock, - usual fate of HK Monaros.
Luckily it was found and restored.

There is a little bit behind that John, I have a photo of original find (in a pile of shrub and sand) some where and then another appeared ( apparently found rusting in a paddock). Will look for them.

John McKechnie
05-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Rod- sounds like an interesting story coming this way..............;)
I tend to be cynical especially when the car was blue.
The rusty body found in Western Australia-Nulabor Plains- is yellow all over, no sign of any blue where taillamps were removed for example.
google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://www.motorsportarchive.com/BeecheyHK0002_web.jpg&i
Also the area looks really dry how can it rust.?
My poor old thing had 15 years at Kawakawa Bay next to the salt water to rust

Ellis
05-27-2013, 09:50 PM
The HK was originally standard Warwick Yellow...painted Blue later

Symmons Plains in Yellow and into Armco...
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/Beechey327FenceSP-2_zps250791ab.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/falcongtho/media/Beechey327FenceSP-2_zps250791ab.jpg.html)

Symmons Plains in Blue
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/Beechy327SP_zps5db9dd7e.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/falcongtho/media/Beechy327SP_zps5db9dd7e.jpg.html)

John McKechnie
05-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Ellis - thanks for that, I thought in in the black/white photos the car looked too light to be blue

Steve Holmes
05-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Yes thats right, it was yellow, then painted blue to match the colours on the other cars in the Shell racing team. Am I just imagining this, or did Norm sell it to someone who raced it in 1970?