View Full Version : PUKEKOHE

Pages : [1] 2

CUSTAXIE50
10-14-2012, 11:06 PM
I was all for this race track as it is but not after seeing tv3 sport on sunday.

seaqnmac27
10-15-2012, 01:39 AM
For those of us not living i n NZ, and to quote a once famous or notorious Queensland politician, "Please Explain"

Carlo
10-15-2012, 03:57 AM
For those of us not living i n NZ, and to quote a once famous or notorious Queensland politician, "Please Explain"

Please don't exclude resident Kiwi's from the list of those wishing for an explaination too

ERC
10-15-2012, 05:08 AM
Sorry - I copied the URL from another website but it is way too long and doesn't paste.

Edited due to the comment below.

http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135219

Oldfart
10-15-2012, 05:10 AM
ERC, that link is not working, would be cool to know what Custaxie means though!

seaqnmac27
10-15-2012, 05:46 AM
Try this link to see what is proposed, neutering the circuit in my opinion.

http://www.countiesracing.co.nz/assets//PUKEKOHE%20CAPITAL%20UPGRADES%20GENERAL%20OVERVIEW%20LOW%20QUALITY%20%283%29.pdf

RacerT
10-15-2012, 06:29 AM
What's "impact absorbing concrete barriers"? I thought the vehicle absorbed the impact and the barrier just sat there!

CUSTAXIE50
10-15-2012, 06:39 AM
now now-oldfart and the rest of you know that they are slowing the track down on the back straight and over the hill so you ones with small ones can drive it,make it safe in some places but dont slow it down my wife says slow is best so are we going to have a lot of girls racing out there now.

Oldfart
10-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Custaxie, I guess that many of us did not know that, certainly I didn't!

Rod Grimwood
10-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Not only that, the seating in both what is left of the stand (it's a bird shit covered disgrace) and on the hill is utterly rooted, and i don't think they will be replacing all that. Sorry but when things are left to go it takes too much to retrieve sometimes, and they will need more than 6 mill to fix it. Toilets (what are there) are knackered. If it rains well there goes the carparks. And last time i was in the pit area when it hosed down cars had to be jacked up to get out of water and gear quickly moved to higher ground, covers put over cars because the roof leaked like a siv. Sorry to be negative but it is not a easy fix, it has been left to rot too long.

Just looked at the link; well very neat, all track and pit, what about the spectator areas, looks like they stay a broken dirty discrace.

Shano
10-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Just looked at the link; well very neat, all track and pit, what about the spectator areas, looks like they stay a broken dirty discrace.

Yep, flash new corporate grandstand next to the pits, blocking existing sightlines of the back straight. The bridge over the start grid ruined sightlines from the hill stand and main grandstand years ago.

Nice new corporate area, the average punters can get stuffed. When are they going to learn, when are they going to show the punters some respect? The reason people stopped going to the Hamilton race was because it was a hassle, the viewing was poor (remember the first year when they sold a bunch of seats where they couldn't see the track at all?), and the overall experience was judged not good value for money. Pukekohe is now heading down the same path again.

kiwi285
10-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Someone obviously has a silver tongue and the ability to utterly bullshit the Auckland Council - even with the hard evidence of Hamilton still plain for all (!!!!) to see.

Just shows how egos can get in the way of plain common sense.

What is the back straight going to look like if it is too fast for the V8 Supercars and requires extra corners. So much for being super.

Rod Grimwood
10-15-2012, 09:29 PM
I agree with the new bit on the back straight, as it gives a couple more corners and as long as they make it wide enough to pass going through there, it will bring some interesting moves. Other class's will benefit with the big bullies not being able to run away to far down the straight and give little fellas a chance to keep in contact. Always reckoned Puke was all about horsepower and 2 corners really, getting onto the hill properly for a run down front straight, and Champion sweeper to get into esse's for fast run onto back straight. More corners, more driving.
Any way that may make some racing better, but poor old Joe Blow will sit on crap rusted broken seating in stand and other will stand up on the hill (can't sit because its all broke) and not be able to see diddly squat because of the bridges. The front straight one should have gone under the track. How much will the other cut out (looking at map, maybe brakeing point and maybe the hairpin)

Howard Wood
10-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Why not let the dopey ratepayers, myself included, pay for the upgrade so long as they don't stuff the place up with barriers too close. I was concerned about a return to the bad old days of those dreadful chicanes but asuming the proposal drawing is accurate Rod is right, another passing opportunity and will make the place much less of a power circuit.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Suit you Howard, just see you sneaking up the inside.
Right Howard as long as the barriers are not too close and they have good run off/traps will make it a bit more exiciting.

woody
10-16-2012, 04:17 AM
Rod, Is H D any better? Where does the average joe blow get a decent seat at H D. Okay if in the corporte box, if not there is not much area for the spectator to sit.

CUSTAXIE50
10-16-2012, 04:48 AM
so your thinking is hd and pukekohe are set up for tv.

Carlo
10-16-2012, 05:36 AM
so your thinking is hd and pukekohe are set up for tv.

I have similar thoughts and it does make sense these days as you sell advertising around TV time which reaches a bigger audiance than the numbers through the gate.

Rod Grimwood
10-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Rod, Is H D any better? Where does the average joe blow get a decent seat at H D. Okay if in the corporte box, if not there is not much area for the spectator to sit.

Correct, but not finished (don't know to your next question) and at least has toilets that ladies can go to comfortably. Think X amount of $'s would have given a better finished product at HD. Puke, the track will be great, but the public facilities are not there anymore. (been missing for about 20 years.) We are OK, just go and piss on the tree or behind the car.

Oldfart
10-16-2012, 06:26 AM
I thought there was pretty decent viewing at HD from the area on the southern side of the hairpin, and also the stand beside turn 2 which gives a fair view of the straight leading in, the little jiggle and braking into the right hander. Of course there are few tracks where you can see lots of track anymore, thankfully as most of the ones where you could, by definition were pretty flat. (Or too long anyway to see)

CUSTAXIE50
10-16-2012, 06:39 AM
not that long ago i saw a northland driver having a piss as you have put it in the pits at manfeild not far from the good toilets that are there.

Russ Cunningham
10-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Correct, but not finished (don't know to your next question) and at least has toilets that ladies can go to comfortably. Think X amount of $'s would have given a better finished product at HD. Puke, the track will be great, but the public facilities are not there anymore. (been missing for about 20 years.) We are OK, just go and piss on the tree or behind the car.

Rod! what are you doing taking a female to the motor races? Go by yourself and take your own tree.

woody
10-16-2012, 07:37 AM
They could plant citrus trees, supposed to be good for pissing on.

CUSTAXIE50
10-16-2012, 07:54 AM
long way to go for just a piss

kiwimotor
10-16-2012, 09:30 AM
everybody seems to be forgetting that the circut is being rebuilt specifically for v8 supercars for a tv extravagana and a few corparates that can sit on the infield and watch the odd car or a tv . The general public will only get to see what is happening on the backstraight by superscreens and have there 15-20 second bit of excitement as the cars go down the front straight .When you get some other lesser meetings what spectaors turn up will be able to see is didly squat . Once the concrete absorbing (yeh right ) go in down the back straight all you will see are the car roof tops . The days of seeing single seaters heading down the backstraight dueling are over . have a car run into trouble down the back straight and stop on the side of the cirut depending on how much safe area is between the track and the concrete barrier out will come the saftey cars so cars can be removed ( that stuffs a 8 lap race ). And how are you going to see the passing moves from the hill stand in the new ( fantastic yeh right ) passing area on the back straight when the circut is below the horse racing shute that is there . Spectators will not ( i bet) be allowed down in that area as it will be to hard to man and look after spectaors for a smaller meeting as happens now . At least at hd spectaors can move around about 80% of the circut for different veiwing options . So if you want to spectate and watch good hard racing come to a hrc event at hampton downs where cars sound like race cars and the racing is great . roll on the denny hulme festival

stubuchanan
10-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Don't talk to me about whinging Poms!!! The Roaring Season has turned into a whinge season!

If I have to pay rates to the wonderful new Auckland Council, I am more than happy to have some of it and of everybody else's go towards something I could actually get enjoyment out of. What they are spending is small change compared to what public money gets spent in Oz on motor racing - local, state, and national government. If some of the facilities are third world or worse, some of you guys who might know some of the local movers and shakers should make the state of affairs known to them - perhaps someone may be shamed into improving them. There's a few months to go.

As for not being able to see all of the track, that's a luxury very few tracks have anyway. You see the bit in front of you at Bathurst, or Spa or Monza, and with a bit of luck you might have a "big screen" somewhere as well.

Now, on a slightly different note: the first ever motor race meeting at Pukekohe was the 1963 NZ Grand Prix on Saturday, January 5 1963. By a quirk of the calendar, January 5 2013 also falls on a Saturday - is anybody planning any sort of celebration for the circuit's 50th Anniversary?

Just wondered.

Stu

Yeah yeah na
10-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Don't talk to me about whinging Poms!!! The Roaring Season has turned into a whinge season!

If I have to pay rates to the wonderful new Auckland Council, I am more than happy to have some of it and of everybody else's go towards something I could actually get enjoyment out of. What they are spending is small change compared to what public money gets spent in Oz on motor racing - local, state, and national government. If some of the facilities are third world or worse, some of you guys who might know some of the local movers and shakers should make the state of affairs known to them - perhaps someone may be shamed into improving them. There's a few months to go.

As for not being able to see all of the track, that's a luxury very few tracks have anyway. You see the bit in front of you at Bathurst, or Spa or Monza, and with a bit of luck you might have a "big screen" somewhere as well.

Now, on a slightly different note: the first ever motor race meeting at Pukekohe was the 1963 NZ Grand Prix on Saturday, January 5 1963. By a quirk of the calendar, January 5 2013 also falls on a Saturday - is anybody planning any sort of celebration for the circuit's 50th Anniversary?

Just wondered.

Stu

Gee, it would be great to see cars/drivers from that first meeting.......someone's thinking ahead,good on ya!!!

GD66
10-16-2012, 10:10 PM
John Surtees would have to be top of that list then, he won it. Cochrane and his cronies had a big moan a few years back about Wanneroo being sub-standard, third-world conditions, unsuitable, circuit too short etc etc. Finally the state government (gasp !) stepped in with some $$ after a few more boycott threats and the track was closed for six months while the "improvements" were made.
Now the pit paddock remains unaltered, as does the track. On the infield they've built a new pit garage complex, with infield pit road. Although it's only one storey high, on V8 weekend they construct temp viewing platforms on top. Now, as well as corporate gin palaces from the start line to the end of turn 1, the new pit roof means those seated on the bank at the esses can't see the start/finish straight, and those in the straight can't see the esses, plus the newly-installed overbridge restricts viewing in both directions on the start straight.
To cap it off, the infield pit complex is only used for one weekend a year when the V8 circus is in town : nobody else is allowed to access it ! The final insult, after all the whinging, posturing, threats and drama, is that apart from the infield pit entry and exit roads, the circuit itself remains UNCHANGED !!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Shano
10-16-2012, 10:23 PM

Stu

Happy to be considered that but the points I make about Pukekohe have remained the same for 15 years, V8 supercars or not.

I post on here in frustration at the opportunity lost and the fact that the modifications made to the circuit last time only served to make things worse for most of the punters. Example: The Ford signs on the hill that make it impossible to see the track from large parts of the hill stand. Another: The pit garage complex that was so badly made that within a few years the structure was rotten and considered dangerous. Still is. Now how effing dumb is that and how hard would it have been to do it properly so it's an amenity available for the many, many people who use Pukekohe for the rest of the year?

It's about money being poorly spent on facilities that don't benefit the spectators. Pukekohe is much more than the V8s and what is there for spectators is so run down and dilapidated that it needs a thorough upgrade. What we've got is a few new corners and corporate stands.

The people complaining about the current upgrade are the ones who remember the past and can see it repeating. Why has Auckland council's tourism arm not been able to supply ANY analysis of where the benefits come from. How then have they been able to make decisions (behind closed doors, remember) relating to the upgrade of facilities?

You know why? Because the money comes from the people of Auckland who get in their cars and drive out to the circuit after paying a truckload for tickets. Yes, it also comes from corporate sponsors and those who enjoy the corporate facilities - but the spend is skewed to just one of these audiences.

I have no problem with them spending the money but I'd prefer it was spent properly and for the benefit of ALL Puke users.

(BTW: Tony Cochrane, who is quoted in all this PR stuff, has resigned from V8 supercars and the council is now negotiating and communicating with a private company).

Have you ever spent three days sitting in the hill stand? Walked through ankle deep urine swamp to get to overflowing portaloos? Sat in the birdshit covered "main stand?"

CUSTAXIE50
10-16-2012, 11:12 PM
now now mr stubuchanan,would you not be thinking more about what your mayor is getting up to with the way he wants auckland and this open cheque book .my understanding is it is his view that all rate and tax payers in nz pay also for what he wants to do with auckland, could you put some light on this for the ones who live south of the bombay hills thanks.

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Russ: I don't take women to the track have you bought a hotdog lately, I am far too busy looking at all the others.

stubuchanan
10-17-2012, 11:09 AM
now now mr stubuchanan,would you not be thinking more about what your mayor is getting up to with the way he wants auckland and this open cheque book .my understanding is it is his view that all rate and tax payers in nz pay also for what he wants to do with auckland, could you put some light on this for the ones who live south of the bombay hills thanks.

As far as the Auckland Council is concerned, I think there is clear evidence that once again, the inmates are running the lunatic asylum. Very likely Len Brown got elected mayor because he wasn't John Banks, something we should all be thankful for.

I realize that the corporate clowns will want facilities to be provided so they can be seen by the right people in the right places, but I wonder if we can take a lesson from the third world (say, Nigeria) and see how much of the $xx million can be diverted away into a slush-fund for things like competitor and spectator comforts.

I would assume that the Council must have some responsibility for the availability and hygiene of toilets etc, and they have only a few months to do it in. They won't want to be in the position of stopping their own investment for non-compliance. I wonder if they realize what they have bought into?

Stu

Rod Grimwood
10-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Stu, Len Brown would not know which way was up. And sadly he seems to be surrounded by like people.

sorry i diverse, back to scanning.

CUSTAXIE50
10-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Just had a look again at the map of the new track at pukekohe ,if they put the right diff in the cars and if they can play around with the ratios in the gearbox the cars will be faster coming over the hill would they not be .so when i hear tony cochrane say the track is too fast for there cars and read what others have put up about what they plan for pukekohe it is all for tv ,if you just see the tops of the cars as they go down the back straight standing on the hill who would want to go and see that.

Murray Maunder
10-22-2012, 03:23 AM
The back straight is too long/fast? Makes no sense at all with speeds at Bathurst and other venues.
The new chicane would add another needed feature to the circuit for spectators if only they could access it.
The money will be swallowed up in AVESCO luxuries with nothing left over to improve the lot of spectators or ordinary competitors.
The circuit will still continue to slide into old age and eventual obscurity. I doubt there's many fans of motor racing getting all excited knowing they will still endure the crummy facilities that were acceptable in NZ life in the sixties.

Hampton Downs directors, I assume, haven't been all over Tony Cochrane with promises of $000,000s, so are not in the frame. Cochrane's excuses why HD will never make a V8 venue are shallow beyond measure and IMO disguise other motives.

I have plenty of affection for Puke as a track to race on even in today's tired state but HD with funding for it's completion is the way forward. Anyway, Pukekohe has served us well for almost 50 years and for that I'm grateful.

Here's film footage of the inaugural meeting, the 1963 New Zealand Grand Prix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGv0TaUCkJc

CUSTAXIE50
10-23-2012, 04:16 AM
as we all know next weekend at puke there is this big one for the supertourers ,have just had a look at what it will cost you and the kids to get in and park the car.they talk about the new facilities is that also new toilets etc or have they just hired toilets that you do your thing in ,maybe someone in the know who has done all this work ,could let the ones who plan to go to puke for the weekend know also.

ERC
10-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Bearing in mind nothing had been done by the end of the first week in October, I think it is reasonably safe to assume that work hasn't yet started. Hired toilets are adequate as long as they are serviced regularly and there are enough of them, sensibly located.

CUSTAXIE50
10-23-2012, 08:23 AM
good luck to them,see it on tv like most will.

CUSTAXIE50
10-28-2012, 08:59 PM
PUKE how good was that too fast bull shit,the best weekend for a long time where would you see better racing, tony cochrane and you other dicks over there keep your so called supercars .thats how you put on a great meeting the boys did a great job come on you ones who have no time for puke you have to take your hats off to them for a great weekend of racing.

Kiwiboss
10-30-2012, 09:42 AM
I wasn't there but yes, i heard it was a great weekend with excellent weather, the highlights i was told were the Super Tourers but it sounds like the Central Muscle guys out done even them with there on the edge driving style and excitement, to me this is what people want to see at a Tier 1 event!! so i agree, Supercars not needed?

Dale M

ERC
10-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Having read both Sunday papers around here (Star Times & Herald), it seem that the print media couldn't care less about the racing, no matter how good it was. I think it was the Star times that confined the Saturday racing to the results only section.

If it wasn't for the TV3 coverage, we'd know diddly squat. The poster who said it is all geared for TV was probably correct and if you read the book about Bernie E, you'll note that selling TV rights or getting the hosts to pay for the circus to come, is where the real money is. Spectators aren't a consideration, as the spectator income is the only way the hosts can recoup their outlay.

The support programmne has been praised but the starting field for a greyhound race gets more column centimetres.

Even the Indian F1 GP hardly rated a mention in the Herald. Without the print media doing its bit, we'll never get the crowds to any race meeting, so I am not sure how the Super Car crowds will really stack up.

CUSTAXIE50
10-31-2012, 12:06 AM
yes kiwiboss central muscle cars have it all over what we run in nz bar one f5000 ,and after what we saw last weekend supertourers are up there also.getting back to muscle cars they have more hp than super cars and supertourers some pre 65 cars also have more hp but dont handle that good,just look back at what baypark got up to they started all this big hp car thing a5000 cars big hp cars from australia and the usa.if you want to get them in the gate put more of this racing on ,not all this jap and bmw shit that mum takes to the shops,but this is not 1972 its 2012 with all this mothers milk cant do this cant do that.

kiwi285
10-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Having read both Sunday papers around here (Star Times & Herald), it seem that the print media couldn't care less about the racing, no matter how good it was. I think it was the Star times that confined the Saturday racing to the results only section.

If it wasn't for the TV3 coverage, we'd know diddly squat. The poster who said it is all geared for TV was probably correct and if you read the book about Bernie E, you'll note that selling TV rights or getting the hosts to pay for the circus to come, is where the real money is. Spectators aren't a consideration, as the spectator income is the only way the hosts can recoup their outlay.

The support programmne has been praised but the starting field for a greyhound race gets more column centimetres.

Even the Indian F1 GP hardly rated a mention in the Herald. Without the print media doing its bit, we'll never get the crowds to any race meeting, so I am not sure how the Super Car crowds will really stack up.

Maybe thats an excellent reason why print media is going to the wall. They are extremely biased in their reporting and thoroughly deserve to lose patronage. If it wasn't for the internet we would struggle to find any info on overseas motorsport events. But it certainly doesn't help get casual punters to an event anywhere in the world.

Kiwiboss
10-31-2012, 08:12 AM
yes kiwiboss central muscle cars have it all over what we run in nz bar one f5000 ,and after what we saw last weekend supertourers are up there also.getting back to muscle cars they have more hp than super cars and supertourers some pre 65 cars also have more hp but dont handle that good,just look back at what baypark got up to they started all this big hp car thing a5000 cars big hp cars from australia and the usa.if you want to get them in the gate put more of this racing on ,not all this jap and bmw shit that mum takes to the shops,but this is not 1972 its 2012 with all this mothers milk cant do this cant do that.

Yes Custaxie50, couldn't agree more and its as plan as daylight to see, the event promoters at these Tier 1 events should field Central, Supertourers, F5000, NZV8's and possibly GT1, just these 5 groups alone at one meeting, with some creative follow up advertising would surely pull the public, a promoters dream and what a spectacle it would be!! personally for me i only went to the first and last Hamilton V8 Supercars because i got free corporate tickets otherwise i don't go yet happy to pay $$ for Roycroft. And as Kiwi285 say's, the newspaper and advertising coverage is pathetic, TV's no good because its either on the day or after the event, too late to pull the punters!! We'll be having this discussion in another few years i bet.

Dale M

kiwi285
10-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Yes Custaxie50, couldn't agree more and its as plan as daylight to see, the event promoters at these Tier 1 events should field Central, Supertourers, F5000, NZV8's and possibly GT1, just these 5 groups alone at one meeting, with some creative follow up advertising would surely pull the public, a promoters dream and what a spectacle it would be!! personally for me i only went to the first and last Hamilton V8 Supercars because i got free corporate tickets otherwise i don't go yet happy to pay $$ for Roycroft. And as Kiwi285 say's, the newspaper and advertising coverage is pathetic, TV's no good because its either on the day or after the event, too late to pull the punters!! We'll be having this discussion in another few years i bet.

Dale M

Yes - it needs some promoters to get together with circuit operators and get a PR person involved (preferably with motorsport interests) and look for a interesting angle to promote these events before hand. I remember when race cars were paraded down the main street of Auckland on the backs of trucks to stir up some interest and it seemed to work.

The Baypark promoters knew a thing or two and managed to stir the holiday crowds into action and to their other events. Fans were eager to see who was being brought in to make the event a 'must see' meeting.

I believe that getting car clubs to become involved in the Festival events will help get the message to a wider audience and promote attendance.

CUSTAXIE50
11-05-2012, 12:37 AM
just had a look on tv3 at the supercars at abu dhabi not too fast is it,i had time to count the ones in the grandstand.

Kiwiboss
11-05-2012, 02:02 AM
just had a look on tv3 at the supercars at abu dhabi not too fast is it,i had time to count the ones in the grandstand.

Yeah, agree!! atleast NZ not the only country where no one turns up to watch Motorsport!! hmmmm

Dale M

CUSTAXIE50
11-05-2012, 02:03 PM
why the hell did they put the last supercar race on so late ,i fell a sleep just before it started maybe could be played again this coming sunday.

kiwi285
11-06-2012, 12:39 AM
Yeah, agree!! atleast NZ not the only country where no one turns up to watch Motorsport!! hmmmm

Dale M

Why would you want to waste your time - they are not far removed from our manufactured Supertourers. And some NZ commentators still refer to them as Fords and Holdens !!!!!

Oldfart
11-06-2012, 01:43 AM
Why would you want to waste your time - your are not far removed from our manufactured Supertourers. And some NZ commentators still refer to them as Fords and Holdens !!!!!

Not only commentators, I work for a guy who calls himself a petrolhead and he claims the Supertourers and the Oz cars still are roadcar based, and has to gloat when a Holden wins. (Not that I back Fords except to annoy him)

kiwi285
11-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Not only commentators, I work for a guy who calls himself a petrolhead and he claims the Supertourers and the Oz cars still are roadcar based, and has to gloat when a Holden wins. (Not that I back Fords except to annoy him)

Makes you wonder if they would know one end or a car from the other. Is this what modern motorsport is all about ???

Oldfart
11-06-2012, 03:51 AM
Completely OT, I was at a car club event in which the participants were asked to vote, Best American best British etc, and the car which got the most votes (until the judges intervened) for Best Italian was....... Aston Martin DB9

ERC
11-06-2012, 05:27 AM
Dale M
Don't forget the financial side Dale. Read the Bower book on Ecclestone. It is an education as to how top level motorsport works and by top level, I include the Aussie V8s. Bodies through the gate are irrelevant. Selling the rights to host it and selling TV rights is what it is all about. Bernie E expanded into Asia quite deliberately as that is where the money is. The Euro Governments are broke and don't subsidise F1 races. Asia and the Arab States, particularly the Arab States are wealthy and looking long term as to how to attract more tourists. The Auckland council are really looking to promote the region but what they are prepared/able to pay is small change compared to the Internationals. Let us hope it works for them, though identifying the financial benefits for the region will be difficult to quantify, given that 80% (guess) of those paying to attend will be probably be local anyway.

"You want our circus here? You pay me megabucks and I'll bring it. I always win, maybe you lose? Tough."

CUSTAXIE50
11-13-2012, 07:17 PM
any one know how far they have got with puke ,any photos of the work that has being done so far.now i know and see it on tv,auckland big little city but it should read-the little horse that cant.

ERC
11-13-2012, 09:22 PM
One of our guys walks his dog down there most days. I'll ask him to take pics and keep us informed!

CUSTAXIE50
11-14-2012, 02:12 AM
Good on you erc,its always good to keep the iron hot and keep the puke thing going .So i hope your mate can put some photos up thanks.

CUSTAXIE50
11-16-2012, 01:11 AM
now here we go again,it looks like the supertourers will not be coming to manfeild.now what i saw in the paper today,it said we had firm expectation of maintaining a round on march 16&17, v8st managing director mark petch had been in discussion with manfeild park and specified that date they would be at manfeild .now i do understand that the supercars will be at the melbourne f1 march next year and some of the drivers who race supertourers can not race so what, get around the table how hard would it be to work this one out theres more drivers out there who could do the job maybe better , now who would i try and get ken smith would be one it looks like paul radisich would like to have a go at it ,how about some more formula ford drivers having a test to see if they are up to speed in a supertourer. what about taking a leaf out of what baypark would do get some name drivers out of the usa also ,give them a test run to see if they can do the job why put up with drivers who sometimes they can and sometimes they cant

Shano
11-16-2012, 04:17 AM
They're so bloody boring who cares anyway?

CUSTAXIE50
11-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Do i have this right shano-semi-pro racer,you do some racing is that right what class would this be.if not what class of racing would you like to see more of and is not boring.

Shano
11-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Personal insults will not change the fact that the Super tourers are boring. Highly capable, fast, but boring. The spectacle they provide does not match the class they have decimated, the NZ V8s.

BTW, if you want to get into slinging insults, bring it on. But it is inadvisable.

Does this look familiar? "as kids did your mum not tell you to be nice.looking at what you have put up i would love to hear your views on christchurch and pike river mine,they say you can only do your best"

jim short
11-16-2012, 09:00 AM
The supertoures was so exciting one of the announcers wet himself everytime a brake locked up, I actually thought Winstone McCarthy was back

CUSTAXIE50
11-16-2012, 09:52 AM
now shano i have had a look at what you have put up,i may be getting old and slow but i cant work this one out,personal insults and i did go back and have a look at what i said whats got you off your bike at what i asked you. I am going to ask the roaring season to have a look at what you have put up here there are rules we all have to go by, and some of what you have put up is outside there rules ,I also see you have put something up that i said not on the roaring season .if you are going to do this why not put up what they said also not just what i had to say ,would that be the right way to go about it.

CUSTAXIE50
11-16-2012, 10:34 AM
now,now jim you are starting to sound like michael laws,he is into all this shit & piss.can we all just get back to what the roaring season is all about.most of you who are on the roaring season have done some racing or have been around racing for years,so what would you all want to see that is not boring.

jim short
11-16-2012, 09:21 PM
And whats wrong with Mr Laws??he knows how to spell I for one am impressed

Jac Mac
11-16-2012, 10:25 PM
I just wish Jim Short & Custaxi 50 would learn how to use the shift button for capital letters on their keyboards to make the posts easier to read.... BTW, we have no control over the 'Semi-Pro Racer' or other captions under our user names, that is related to the number of posts you have made, but you already know that having read the forum rules havent you...:):)

jim short
11-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Sorry Jac Mac I wish you were man eneough to use your proper name

Murray Maunder
11-16-2012, 11:12 PM
It's easy to see why there's such a lack of unity (and way too many classes to race in) in NZ motorsport isn't it?

CUSTAXIE50
11-16-2012, 11:42 PM
yes jim sometimes its not right,now jim i along with most looking back at some of what you have put up on the roaring season cant work you out ,and by the way if you take the time and look back on some of the views that have been put up ,there are lots of spelling that is not right but who gives a shit we are here to talk about motorsport .but it looks like you cant read -what racing would you like to see that is not boring how hard would that be for you to do jim.

Russ Cunningham
11-17-2012, 12:39 AM
How about this for a great idea?

Shano, Custaxie50 & Jim Short! You all meet in the ring for "fight for life". I'd be more than happy to ref this one.

Stay happy!!!!

CUSTAXIE50
11-17-2012, 01:05 AM
yes you are right jac mac,this has been said to me before just had a look at my keyboard what you said is not right its not the shift bullon, its the caps lock one there are a lot of mags and papers out there that the spelling is not right so what ,we all understand what they are saying dont we.

jim short
11-17-2012, 01:07 AM
a bunch of losers

Now Russ, another shy person{man or women}hard to be shure but it has payed me an honour by looking back at my postings ,so it cant be a bad person and you have a bad habit of trying to upset folks something you do quite well but not me because not only that I cant spell I have trouble reading..

CUSTAXIE50
11-17-2012, 01:38 AM
nice one russ yes a fight im up for that,but not in the ring would be great to get our hands on eddie freemans car and fight it out at ohakea.

CUSTAXIE50
11-17-2012, 02:12 AM
now jim be nice to russ,yes he does have this thing going on in his head,maybe there is some shit going on up there.

Jac Mac
11-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Jim Short, If I used my given name most people wouldnt know who it was! Ive been known as 'Jac Mac' for longer than I care to remember & if you were to arrive in Gore & ask to find me you would have more luck using 'Jac Mac' than my given name which would be a multi choice!

Custaxi 50, if you want to use a capital letter, just hold the shift key down while you type the ' letter' , try it , go on be a devil...:)

woody
11-17-2012, 03:00 AM
Russ, Who would you have for the three judges?

jim short
11-17-2012, 03:14 AM
Jim Short, If I used my given name most people wouldnt know who it was! Ive been known as 'Jac Mac' for longer than I care to remember & if you were to arrive in Gore & ask to find me you would have more luck using 'Jac Mac' than my given name which would be a multi choice!

Custaxi 50, if you want to use a capital letter, just hold the shift key down while you type the ' letter' , try it , go on be a devil...:)

Jac Mac you cant be to bad,When I was forced to retire ,I had to sell my Mack an R model and I still miss it,17yrs ago

Russ Cunningham
11-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Russ, Who would you have for the three judges?

Well Woody! Certainly not the three wise men. Hey! Glad that Custaxie recognises that there's something going on in my head but terribly sad that Jum misses his Mack so much...........was this what he raced prior to his problems?

CUSTAXIE50
11-17-2012, 06:28 AM
russ what are you claiming salt water or clear water.

Russ Cunningham
11-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Gin

CUSTAXIE50
11-17-2012, 12:22 PM
thats a new one on me,when did you put a claim in for gin along with salt water and clear water ,will turn the radio on monday the boys may talk about it russ.and by the way what right have you got to talk about jim like that,about problems he may have in his life today ,it may pay to back things up a little when it comes to jim.i dont give a shit what you say to me at all ,only me do you understand russ. russ there is to much hate in our life get out there boy get some love in our life ,you cant go around with all this hate it will eat you up .so all the best to you as you go out there to look for this little bit of love that you long for.

jim short
11-17-2012, 09:21 PM
How did I get in with this bunch????a man of my upbringing

ERC
11-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Wasn't this thread about Pukekohe once upon a time?

stubuchanan
11-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Wasn't this thread about Pukekohe once upon a time?

Without our noticing, it got taken over as a branch of Gaza and the West Bank. Incoming.........

Rod Grimwood
11-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Apparently they are starting on Puke this week.

May be F5000 running at Super Car meeting. That may bring in the crowd.

Been away fishing for a week and i come back to this carry on, now stop it you boy's or I will have to come and have a serious talk to all of you.

CUSTAXIE50
11-17-2012, 11:42 PM
yes-yes & yes again erc its all about puke,i have had my say and will leave it at that.I started this thread about puke to get some good feed back but if you look today at what is going on in nz ,no one wants to work in with other views that are out there.

Russ Cunningham
11-18-2012, 12:48 AM
As it's Sunday morning I guess you feel a sermon is in order. Try the Destiny church with Bishop Brian, they might be more receptive.

I do struggle to understand what you and your mate are on about most of the time but as for love in my life! There's lots of it.

Have a truely loved up day.

All my love (with kisses & hugs)

Russ

CUSTAXIE50
11-18-2012, 02:37 AM
seagrams.

CUSTAXIE50
11-18-2012, 04:31 AM
Right dad,the thing is it will all be on tv Rod so you cant win, put something on also that is not motorsport.look at all the infeild that they have at Puke.

CUSTAXIE50
11-21-2012, 08:21 PM
I was on the net last night and this oversteer-sliding wildly sideways site came up ,and i see there is all this talk about puke hampton downs and the highlands complex in cromwell .i see this tony quinn was looking at taking over hampton downs but did not work out ,oversteer have had alot to say about the money that has been put up for the work on puke ,and had there say at what is going on with hampton downs does not look to good for this place at all. looking at what has been said maybe the long plan is for this tony quinn to get his hands on hampton downs allso, or maybe len brown has cooked up something to get hampton downs after all the hard work has been done for auckland maybe.

Carlo
11-21-2012, 08:55 PM
I go away for a couple of weeks and return to find that many are throwing more mud and stones than a BDA Escort rally car.

Off Subject:
Jac Mac. True story, many years ago you were sitting on the dummy grid and your car did have your name enscribed on it. I turned to another good old boy and asked "how long has Jac Mac been looking after that guys car?".
Yes you are a legend in the south and pretty damn well known in the total motorsport scene in the South Island.

CUSTAXIE50
11-21-2012, 09:20 PM
ok, your view on what is going on with our race tracks today-carlo.

RSZWEI
11-24-2012, 05:58 AM
Mark Skaife talking about the changes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egdPqUtHKeU&feature=g-user-u

ERC
11-24-2012, 07:01 AM
I find it very odd that Alan Dick (Oversteer article) feels that Greater Auckland isn't large enough to support two race tracks. My understanding and experience is that tracks need to be available for Tier 1 (or a supposedly top tier promotion); now you can also add Super Tourers; (Aussie V8s only account for one weekend a year) plus club events for classics, normal club racing, plus motorbikes, vintage bikes, drifting etc. With only one track and maybe just 35 - 40 usable weekends a year, one track just isn't enough. Auckland and northern club level guys, just do not have either the time or the budget to go to Manfeild more than maybe once a year and even Taupo is a squeeze.

If you are trying to run any mainly Auckland based series, (club/classic level) each needs a minimum of say 6 rounds to be viable, so having two tracks is almost essential.

The real pressure is on having sufficient volunteers to man both tracks on the same weekend. Spectator numbers are not really too important as most club meetings are self supporting anyway.

Oldfart
11-24-2012, 07:16 AM
In the "good old days" the way into motorsport was to be a support person, it used to be called flag marshalling. In recent times I have volunteered to help when I can't compete, only to be turned down as I " don't have the training".
I have then been forced to watch, what I consider as a sometimes competitor, as barely adequate marshalling. In my humble opinion, there are plenty of volunteers being sidelined by a small minority of the old "give a man a title" type people who make this an unpleasant place to be. If they do turn out to man a post they are often belittled, and for sure will not return. I reckon that even people who have driven round a circuit as slowly as I, have more idea of what is needed by the competitors.

Deborah Day
11-24-2012, 10:51 PM
In the "good old days" the way into motorsport was to be a support person, it used to be called flag marshalling. In recent times I have volunteered to help when I can't compete, only to be turned down as I " don't have the training".
I have then been forced to watch, what I consider as a sometimes competitor, as barely adequate marshalling. In my humble opinion, there are plenty of volunteers being sidelined by a small minority of the old "give a man a title" type people who make this an unpleasant place to be. If they do turn out to man a post they are often belittled, and for sure will not return. I reckon that even people who have driven round a circuit as slowly as I, have more idea of what is needed by the competitors.

I'm really sorry to hear that any volunteer would be made to feel that way and certainly hope it wasn't any of our team. We're constantly on the look out for volunteers and have several racing drivers who come to meetings they're not competiting in to help out.

You're absolutely right about drivers being excellent marshals - they can 'read' a race in a way that takes us mere mortals years to learn and are excellent in passing this skill on.

If you'd like to come out and volunteer at one of the events we man, I'd be very pleased to see you - or any of the other forum users - on the "other side of the armco" for a day.

Deb

Oldfart
11-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Deborah, PM sent

ERC
11-25-2012, 01:57 AM
You're absolutely right about drivers being excellent marshals - they can 'read' a race in a way that takes us mere mortals years to learn and are excellent in passing this skill on. Deb
Totally agree. Equally, it is a pity that every driver isn't required to marshal at two full race meetings, before they are issued with a race licence... Welcome Deb - keep popping in...

Only when you have been baked by the sun, soaked by the rain, frozen by the howling wind (often on the same day!) can you really appreciate just what the flaggies (and other officials) have to put up with. Even worse when some grids only have half a dozen cars. It is always nice when the drivers wave their thanks at the end of the race too.

At least these days, the marshals are better organised and better looked after than they used to be, with water and a midday snack, but it was/is a rare luxury to have sufficient numbers on a post to have a break.

CUSTAXIE50
11-27-2012, 03:51 AM
yes-RSZWEI that was a good view on puke from mark skaife,maybe get mark skaife to go down to Ruapuna to do some work to make this track safe .because if you look at what went down with john mcintyre and how he went off at 250kmh just look at the state of his car, and what he said one very lucky man to be still walking around and look at the state he was in .they can fix the car alright they have done it before ,they say things come right if you give it time but i dont know about that i wish him all the best at getting fit and well again.

CUSTAXIE50
11-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Looking at this one again ,the work has started on puke how far have they got with this.

CUSTAXIE50
01-08-2013, 11:17 PM
How far have they got with the new part of puke.

CUSTAXIE50
03-12-2013, 11:32 PM
How far have they got with the new part of puke.

What a great job they have done with puke,good to see Ken Smith on tv last night look at it this way if they get the gearing right ,this is going to be one very fast track.

Rod Grimwood
03-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Yea real neat, and if they get it a little wrong, wang concrete. Great for TV.
The jury is out.

Racer Rog
03-13-2013, 09:00 PM
yes-RSZWEI that was a good view on puke from mark skaife,maybe get mark skaife to go down to Ruapuna to do some work to make this track safe .because if you look at what went down with john mcintyre and how he went off at 250kmh just look at the state of his car, and what he said one very lucky man to be still walking around and look at the state he was in .they can fix the car alright they have done it before ,they say things come right if you give it time but i dont know about that i wish him all the best at getting fit and well again.

It was not a fault of the track lay out, as I understand it he had no brakes, so maybe he needs to look at his mechanic??
Roger

Shano
03-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Please explain how concrete barriers make the track safer?

jim short
03-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Well in my case when my car was almost writen off by the turbo Escort ,Bruce would not have tried to go around Barrys Monaro,on the outside and onto the grass,sliding fifty yards facing the track till he hit the seal of the old chicane and still pulling 8000 rev rocketed accross,not long before {days} the escort had slid down the grass and taken out yards of fence same corner ,and I think this the best corner in NZ

Shano
03-14-2013, 01:27 AM
Is it better that the Escort destroys itself on a concrete wall? The walls also bounce cars back onto the track so the problem you describe, Jim, is not necessarily fixed.

The run- off for that corner needs re-thinking and doing properly.

The concrete walls will be judged by history as stupid as the chicanes were. It will be the end of any motorcycle racing at Pukekohe, including the incredible classic meeting every February. They are configuring the circuit for the V8 Supercars to the detriment of many other users, so I can't see how that's "better."

I'm even more interested to see how much of my rates have been spent on decent toilets and concessions.

jim short
03-14-2013, 02:01 AM
I love a good debate when no one wins,as I stated he would not have gone outside AS there will be no outside.
A run off would be a tunnell into the hill.
The Motorbikes use Paeroa and Wanganui and look at the Iles of Man ,are you insulting our riders, and lastly Murf who recently was all in favour of HD,,is it true he is related to Brownley and Co????

Rod Grimwood
03-14-2013, 02:31 AM
Believe it has stuffed it for any body but the TV Superstockcars, if the wall was there years back when Longhurst went down grass after coming on a car real quick and passed it and kept it together and back on track, that would have been different. Been down the grass myself Jimmy, lucky maybe but also believe it gave me time to sort out options before getting it straight and back on with out damage (luck & management). You were real unlucky that day.

jim short
03-14-2013, 02:46 AM
Maybe, got to keep the car,,my first thought was take two mtrs, into the hill then a row of tyres all the way over the top, but I rather like a street circuit,and a nice feeling to get with in an inch of the barrier without lifting,.Yes I remember Tony that day ,something you dont see very often ,he did over 100 mtrs, on the wet ?? grass ,just kept the wheel pointing back onto the track ,bloody amazing

Rod Grimwood
03-14-2013, 02:59 AM
He had slightly quicker reflex's than us Jimmy, and maybe more talent.

RogerH
03-14-2013, 03:32 AM
The bike racers have already come out and said they would probably not run at the track because the barriers over the hill are too close to the track to allow them to put airbags in place.
The talk among historic single seaters seems to be that they will probably not run as any slight mistake (or avoiding another car that makes a slight mistake) will end up ripping off wheels and suspension.
Additionally, with the barriers so close to the track it means that any car the comes off over the hill will inevitably end up on the track (nowhere else to go) and the likelihood of it causing another accident are pretty strong.
Agree that all the ratepayers money seems to have been spent creating a track suitable for one weekends action without much consideration for the other 51 weeks of the year.

fullnoise68
03-14-2013, 04:13 AM
Exactly right RogerH. With the barriers being so close to the edge of the track over the hill, and the Supercar field within seconds of one another, they`ll be stacked four high in no time. As Rod said, she`ll make bloody good TV viewing!

John McKechnie
03-14-2013, 04:26 AM
And of course there is the Central Muscle Car guys running there as well..............

jim short
03-14-2013, 04:30 AM
Interesting time will tell ,Wellington was prety good,I guess some drivers need plenty of room.

jim short
03-14-2013, 04:31 AM
Man I hate this chap

John McKechnie
03-14-2013, 04:50 AM
And Formula Toyota. Could be an expensive learning curve for some classes.

rogered
03-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Just use them for the V8s and get shot of them after the show has left town. that 10 foot high earth bank is fine, and leaves the a couple of meters of grass to skate down if needed.

hilstwist
03-15-2013, 02:35 AM
As i am now living in the USA,Could someone please explain what exactly they have done to the track? Having been to the "old" track many times I am keen to know. as I understand it the back straight now has corners? Did they make it longer? Thanks in advance

GPBK
03-15-2013, 03:23 AM
This should help. I hear they've done alot out there and it's looking good. Relatively speaking.

Kiwiboss
03-15-2013, 04:31 AM
Most have seen this i presume. Dale M

CUSTAXIE50
03-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Give Len Brown a ring on monday he knows best.

Allan
03-16-2013, 01:40 AM
The proof of the pudding, so to speak, will be in the eating. So let's wait until the fat lady has sung before we get to the "I told you so".
Len who?

CUSTAXIE50
03-16-2013, 04:01 AM
I think you understand the meaning of what i said allan.

Rod Grimwood
03-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Interesting time will tell ,Wellington was prety good,I guess some drivers need plenty of room.

Always gave you plenty of room Jim, around 10 to 20 cars lengths.

In photos of new corner, is that a curb sticking up on inside. And where is the scaffold being built.

jim short
03-16-2013, 11:52 PM
Rod I told you many times dont be so shy be more like Tony Autoshift.

hilstwist
03-17-2013, 01:00 AM
thanks GPBK looks like the only change that i can see is the is the Bathurst like "chase" down the back straight? Also the left hander after the the hairpin at the end of the back straight looks to have been altered but maybe that was done after i left the country in 1989

CUSTAXIE50
03-17-2013, 03:38 AM
You can just see it last lap last corner, slow car fast car like the way they run the nzv8s.

jim short
03-17-2013, 05:21 AM
Lets hope they all have a steering wheel

CUSTAXIE50
03-17-2013, 07:13 AM
So thats going to make it all right having that wall there Jim.

Rod Grimwood
03-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Lets hope they all have a steering wheel

They all have one, but don't seem to know how to use it, and seem to forget what the middle pedal is for. Suppose if you don't have a boat to throw $s at, give it to the panelbeater and panel supplier.

may be down that way shortly, might be worth a look to see the track and all the new toilets and seating for the public.

jim short
03-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I have said before ,my first thought was take the bank back 2-3 mtrs. have a row tyres But now think{only my thought} it will be safer as the fast cars are doing over 100 miles an hour over there,I was in 5th at 130mph when a car came back off the grass,and was tee boned ,the speed differance caused by the two cars was so great to almost write mine off, .If and it will hapen like in the States all there crashes they are all going forward,also with the wall so close thats going to make the drivers take more care ,and will show up those who have faith in there driving.I really enjoyed the Wellington Street Race,inspite of having a car run me into the wall by not using his mirror,I was alongside the Lister in the rain when he drove head on into the wall ,got a suprise when he passed me soon after.I drove around Sandown recently one corner there is no beter than Rothmans.Time will tell as they say ,and to my mind this is the best corner in NZ

jim short
03-17-2013, 10:15 AM
They all have one, but don't seem to know how to use it, and seem to forget what the middle pedal is for. Suppose if you don't have a boat to throw $s at, give it to the panelbeater and panel supplier.

may be down that way shortly, might be worth a look to see the track and all the new toilets and seating for the public.

Rod I did a trip to the UK in 87 with the car club 96 of us I think the women enjoyed checking out the toilets more than the cars.

CUSTAXIE50
03-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Thank God i dont pay rates in Auckland,This Len Brown likes to spend your rates $10 mill tripping around the world.Maybe he would like to put some more of your rates into puke to make that part of the track (wall) safe for everyone.

CUSTAXIE50
04-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Thank God i dont pay rates in Auckland,This Len Brown likes to spend your rates $10 mill tripping around the world.Maybe he would like to put some more of your rates into puke to make that part of the track (wall) safe for everyone.Well the big day is all most here,i was looking at coming up this weekend for the 400 but i dont think so.The cost to get in and the cost to sit down its a joke,to see it i have to get sky its not on tv3.will give this one a miss.

John McKechnie
04-09-2013, 06:44 PM
I have been told Prime has some coverage.

Milan Fistonic
04-09-2013, 07:43 PM
I have been told Prime has some coverage.

3.00 to 4.30 and 5.30 to 7.00 Saturday and Sunday

CUSTAXIE50
04-09-2013, 07:58 PM
3.00 to 4.30 and 5.30 to 7.00 Saturday and SundayThanks for that,will have a look see if it is on.

RogerH
04-09-2013, 08:20 PM
It will be interesting to see how the event turns out from a spectator perspective. Auckland Council have advised that there will be no car parking provided at the venue. They evidently expect that spectators will catch the train or bus to Pukekohe railway station and then walk the 1.5km to the track. There are some comments about parking available in the general area but this seems to be a private thing and no doubt there will be extensive parking restrictions in the vicinity of the track.

CUSTAXIE50
04-09-2013, 10:00 PM
It will be interesting to see how the event turns out from a spectator perspective. Auckland Council have advised that there will be no car parking provided at the venue. They evidently expect that spectators will catch the train or bus to Pukekohe railway station and then walk the 1.5km to the track. There are some comments about parking available in the general area but this seems to be a private thing and no doubt there will be extensive parking restrictions in the vicinity of the track.Look at it this way more of this BS from Len Brown,first he tells you all up there to live in a little box,now he tells you take a train or bus to puke and walk 1.5km, go take a running jump who the hell wants to do that.If you are going to put a big metting on like this you have to put in place somewhere we can park the car. would there be a farmer down the back road of puke where you could park at a small cost to you and walk to the track.

Shoreboy57
04-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Happy to spend my $ with Sky and at Hampton Downs. With what Len has put into Puke I'm not planning on spending any more there.

RacerT
04-10-2013, 12:48 AM
But wait we have this fabulous new circuit!
Upgraded from FIA category 3 to FIA Category 3. New pit marquees exactly like the old pit marquees. The bumps on the circuit retained because they are Pukekohe's 'character'. Energy absorbing concrete barriers lining the track - man that's progress if I ever saw it.

It'll be great having the Close Circuit TV in the old Hamilton control room that has replaced the Jenian Homes building, just a pity that it will be removed on the monday after the V8's.

We should have got a set of steak knives as well to complete the con.

Spgeti
04-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Thats a good deal, particulary the steak knives.....

fullnoise68
04-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Happy to spend my $ with Sky and at Hampton Downs. With what Len has put into Puke I'm not planning on spending any more there.

I think it is fair to say that with a combination of Len Browns ego and the complete waste of our money to do it, they have done to Puke what Adam did to Eve. They have catered to a select few, rather than the majority. It`ll be interesting to one day race on the new layout, but with the new track in Cromwell, and with Hampton Downs, these will become `character' tracks, whereas sadly Puke through the actions of a few will lose any character it had remaining.

RogerH
04-10-2013, 01:57 AM
It really gets to me when Council keeps talking about "energy absorbing concrete barriers". A concrete barrier anchored into the ground has no energy absorbing characteristics. All they are doing is creating a new oxymoron surpassing the old favourites such as "auto pilot", "authentic reproduction", "Jumbo shrimp" etc.

ERC
04-10-2013, 01:58 AM
It isn't going to be much fun lugging your wheelie walker, chair, chilly bin, camera, umbrella and wet weather gear 1.5km, rain or shine.

Kiwiboss
04-10-2013, 02:50 AM
And after this weekend i bet the same old issue's will raise there ugly head as in the past!! can't start engines early because of the poor ol horsees, business and persons living close whinging about the noise with the police turning up to tell you to load up!! half dismantle facility’s making it look abandon after the V8's leave town and on and on it goes!! like Baypark, id say its days are numbered.

Dale M

Parnelli
04-10-2013, 02:53 AM
But wait we have this fabulous new circuit!
Upgraded from FIA category 3 to FIA Category 3. New pit marquees exactly like the old pit marquees. The bumps on the circuit retained because they are Pukekohe's 'character'. Energy absorbing concrete barriers lining the track - man that's progress if I ever saw it.

It'll be great having the Close Circuit TV in the old Hamilton control room that has replaced the Jenian Homes building, just a pity that it will be removed on the monday after the V8's.

We should have got a set of steak knives as well to complete the con.

Yeh, I picked up somewhere on the ' new ' Category 3 status. If this is correct , what happened to Supercars requirement of Category 2 status !!! I guess we shouldn't let rules get in the way rate payer funded entertainment.

Frosty5
04-10-2013, 04:41 AM
It isn't going to be much fun lugging your wheelie walker, chair, chilly bin, camera, umbrella and wet weather gear 1.5km, rain or shine.

And don't forget that your chilly bin will be opened for inspection to prevent you from taking in your homemade lunches and refreshments. You must buy those from the concession holders of which V8 Supercars will take a cut (at exorbatint prices. $10 million - how would that change HD. Cochranes excuse for not holding it there was the track was too short - BS - Barbagello is 200 metres shoter than HD and the state Govt coughed up to make sure they didn't lose it. This dictator we have for a mayor has a lot to answer. HD is part of the Waikato District Council so why didn't they come to the party. Key is telling us that we should be enterprenurial or words to that effect - isnt that what Tony Roberts and Chris Watson are trying to do. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!! That poncy left wing mayor in Auckland needs a driveshaft where the sun dont shine. As a consequence I won't be going even though it hurts. I'll enjoy it at my local where the refreshments are cheaper

Rod Grimwood
04-10-2013, 05:09 AM
Sorry but go way back to the start of the thread, it was said then.
V8s and TV. Stuff the rest of NZ motorsport.
HD to small crap, look at the go kart track they raced on last weekend. A bit of assistance to HD and the extension done and hello you have a top set up.
Glad I don't have to tolerate that Len Brown, but there maybe something in that name as our so called mayor up here's surname is Brown as well, and he is a right plonk&^%. I think the name suits, and is as close to s*&* you can get with out DNA

Anyway be interesting to see what kind of turn out and show is put on.

Shoreboy57
04-10-2013, 05:19 AM

Not wanting to turn this into a political thread but no doubt Mayor Brown will arrive by helicopter. He's only a fan of public transport for others.

Frosty5
04-10-2013, 05:34 AM
Not wanting to turn this into a political thread but no doubt Mayor Brown will arrive by helicopter. He's only a fan of public transport for others.

So wheres the goddam train from Hamilton

Allan
04-10-2013, 05:45 AM
I tried to get hold of the organisers to see if bus parking was available at the circuit as I was intending to bring a bus load to the venue for Sunday. Had a collection of folks who were keen to go if we could have got parking at or very close but as yet have recieved no reply. I intend to go with one other now on sunday so they have one shot at my credit card. As Frosty5 has asked were's the train, or buses for that matter, from the south. It really does prove that NZ finished at the Bombay hills.

stirlingmac
04-10-2013, 06:36 AM
Not having parking at the track for spectators takes away another part of the experience. I enjoyed travelling up from Wellington to go to the big meetings and spent a bit of time with mates wandering through the car park checking out some of the rare , exotic and cool cars that were parked up. The thought of driving up , parking "somewhere" and taking a bus doesn't appeal to me at all...

CUSTAXIE50
04-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Not wanting to turn this into a political thread but no doubt Mayor Brown will arrive by helicopter. He's only a fan of public transport for others.Dont tell North Korea.

Frosty5
04-10-2013, 07:13 AM
I tried to get hold of the organisers to see if bus parking was available at the circuit as I was intending to bring a bus load to the venue for Sunday. Had a collection of folks who were keen to go if we could have got parking at or very close but as yet have recieved no reply. I intend to go with one other now on sunday so they have one shot at my credit card. As Frosty5 has asked were's the train, or buses for that matter, from the south. It really does prove that NZ finished at the Bombay hills.

Thanks Allan, thought I was a lone voice down here.It is unbelievable that someone would sell something that cost $8 million and sell it for $1.25 mill. HD has the land, the track and at best would cost +/- $3 million to extend the track and purchase the gear from HCC. Where's the F@#$%^&g logic behind this deal. Take it or we'll take you to court and plead breach of contract. Is it any wonder we get P@#%^&d of with politicians - local or federal. What would $10 million have done for HD. Absolutely unbelievable. I ain't going as I will watch it at my local where the price of food and refreshments is a truckload cheaper.

stubuchanan
04-10-2013, 09:27 AM

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I don't recall special trains buses etc from Auckland or anywhere else when the race was in Hamilton.

State and federal govt assistance in sport is very much a part of the Australian scene, but not so much in NZ. After the ripoffs that went on with the Hamilton Council you would hardly expect the Waikato Dist Council to be interested in supporting a Hampton Downs event. In any case, Messrs Roberts and Watson wouldn't be at all interested in selling their souls to a bunch of Australians just for one weekend's racing.

Stu

hilstwist
04-10-2013, 04:11 PM
I am astounded and sad reading the above posts. Ok its been 25 years since i went to a meeting there.[I live in the USA now] But I really used to look forward to going there. Sometimes able to park under the trees at the back of the stands at the start of the front straight. Or if that was full across the road in a farmers field. Mostly close enough to go back for lunch and a beer from the boot. [My own beer n all!] It wasn,t that expensive to get into the pits either.I also liked to stroll around and gander at the nice cars some punters bought along, and yeah, the birds too. I don't get why no parking in the grounds.? you can get a lot of cars by that stretch between the hairpin and the stands i was talking about.Mind you back in the day that place got huge crowds. I remember the traffic que started before the township at times! I will be able to see the race on a delayed basis on Speed ch next week.Looking forward to it.

AMCO72
04-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Unfortunately I don't think Mr Brown and the other major players in this sorry little saga are regular readers of the roaring season, so all this writing is falling on deaf ears!!!!!!

RogerH
04-10-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't know how ATEED (Auckland Council) are going to get their 50,000 bed nights that they based the ratepayer's investment on when they are effectively telling everyone who would drive to the ITM400 to stay away as there is no parking at the venue and surrounding roads have parking restrictions.

This is what they say about travelling by car :

Travel by car

To reduce congestion for people driving to the event please consider the following recommendations:

If you are driving to the venue from south of Pukekohe please use the Ramarama (exit 466) and Drury (exit 461) off-ramps.
If you are travelling from the North please use the Bombay (exit 471, Mill Rd) off-ramps.
If you are travelling by car, be aware that parking is not available at the venue. Public parking is available in the surrounding areas. Roads are expected to be busy so travel early.

There is limited mobility parking available at the raceway - refer to the website below.

Parking restrictions will be in place on the following roads:

Buckland Road - to the Buckland Road bridge
Glasgow Road - bus parking only
John Street South - from Kitchener Road to Nelson Street
Kitchener Road - from Manukau Road to Tuakau Road
Manukau Road - From Kitchener Road to Harris Street
Station Road - From East Street to Yates Road
Subway Road - From Station Road to Manukau

Steve Holmes
04-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Unfortunately I don't think Mr Brown and the other major players in this sorry little saga are regular readers of the roaring season, so all this writing is falling on deaf ears!!!!!!

No I'm sure you're right Gerald, but people like to vent their frustrations if possible. Besides, I know at least one journo from one of Aucklands major newspapers visits this site, and is probably reading this thread. And lets face it, the media have more power than politicians.

Howard Wood
04-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I don't recall special trains buses etc from Auckland or anywhere else when the race was in Hamilton.

State and federal govt assistance in sport is very much a part of the Australian scene, but not so much in NZ. After the ripoffs that went on with the Hamilton Council you would hardly expect the Waikato Dist Council to be interested in supporting a Hampton Downs event. In any case, Messrs Roberts and Watson wouldn't be at all interested in selling their souls to a bunch of Australians just for one weekend's racing.

Stu
Stu,

Dont know if it continued but the first year at Hamilton there was an excursion train that left from Auckland, via Papakura etc and returned in the evening. It was complete with a bar and the whole train trip was a heap of fun. Pity it was impossible to see the race track without a grandstand ticket so we didn't go back.

Oldfart
04-10-2013, 10:48 PM
The directions given by the quote from RogerH make a LOT of sense (NOT), "come from the south, go past Bombay and use Ramarama and Drury, if you coming from the North go past Ramarama and Drury and use Bombay!"
What happened to using Pokeno from the south? I can just see all the merging traffic working like a zip, just as it didn't at Easter. 3 1/2 hours from Otara to Pokeno on Good Friday, all caused by the lane changers who can't. Sorry OT!

Allan
04-10-2013, 11:51 PM
I used to love going to Puke in the old days too Hilstwist but not really any more. The bridge over the front straight obscures the view from the grandstand looking to the hill and the sweeper when looking from the hill stand. In the "good old days" you could see most of the track from a variety of points but not any more. I will how ever go just for the experience and to see what all the fuss is about.

jamie
04-11-2013, 12:08 AM
HO HO what A can of WORM'S only A polition could do worse . That's why I will open a new bottle of Appletons and Big bott coke and sit in front of TV Jamie A

ElCoyote
04-11-2013, 12:39 AM
HO HO what A can of WORM'S only A polition could do worse . That's why I will open a new bottle of Appletons and Big bott coke and sit in front of TV Jamie A

Forget that, you have engines to build. Anyway what's wrong with a VB or two?

jamie
04-11-2013, 01:55 AM
Yo Mr U.S.A dog come down to Rottenrua ill find a glass for you I even might even share my chips to, thats if her who must be Obayed WILL let you ?? Jamie

nzeder
04-11-2013, 02:34 AM
And now the motorbikes will never race there again :( I loved going to the classic bike meetings at Pukekohe....but no more

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10873218

So yes good on you Taxis Racing boys (well that is what I called it when it was the Bill and Ben show of just Ford and Holden as they are the common Taxis in Oz) and even in the NZHerald article above they put a positive spin about how now Merc and Nissan have joined in blah blah - so they end the article talking up how good the change is - BS no more bikes as Puke a very sad day indeed.

At least the classic bike festival has a new home in Hampton Downs.

nigel watts
04-11-2013, 03:57 AM
According to their website NZCMCC [classic bikes] are intending to return to Pukekohe. They are promoting a race there in October so the festival may go back there too.

Shoreboy57
04-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Stu,

Dont know if it continued but the first year at Hamilton there was an excursion train that left from Auckland, via Papakura etc and returned in the evening. It was complete with a bar and the whole train trip was a heap of fun. Pity it was impossible to see the race track without a grandstand ticket so we didn't go back.

Don't feel you missed out - in year 1 many with grandstand seats couldn't see either.............

RogerH
04-11-2013, 08:16 PM
I see in the Herald this morning that Auckland Transport expect 25% of the ITM400 patrons at Pukekohe to use the bus/train option with the 1.5km walk to the track - that means 75% are expected to arrive by car. However for these 75% there are no parking facilities provided (even though there is actually room for them at the track). Seems a strange way to look after your customers and encourage people to attend the event.

kiwi285
04-11-2013, 10:22 PM
I see in the Herald this morning that Auckland Transport expect 25% of the ITM400 patrons at Pukekohe to use the bus/train option with the 1.5km walk to the track - that means 75% are expected to arrive by car. However for these 75% there are no parking facilities provided (even though there is actually room for them at the track). Seems a strange way to look after your customers and encourage people to attend the event.

Seems like par for the course to me. They appear to try and alienate spectators and people who want to pay money,

CUSTAXIE50
04-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Seems like par for the course to me. They appear to try and alienate spectators and people who want to pay money,Its just been on the radio that 30,000 are heading to puke today and 50,000 on saturday,right what the hell do they do with the car after getting to the track.

Allan
04-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Finally got a reply to the question of bus parking at the venue.
"You are welcome to drop your passengers of at the gate but then you must make you own arrangements as what to do with the bus".
Any suggestions?

jamie
04-12-2013, 01:17 AM
YES but not on this Famly SHOW Jamie A

RogerH
04-12-2013, 01:50 AM
Its just been on the radio that 30,000 are heading to puke today and 50,000 on saturday,right what the hell do they do with the car after getting to the track.

If these figures are correct there are going to be 37,500 people coming by car on Saturday and with say, 2.5 people per car that means there will be 15,000 cars looking to park somewhere on the streets in Pukekohe township (but not within a 1.5km radius of the track as those streets are closed to parking). I wonder if Auckland Council are trying to supplement income from the event by the mass issue of parking fines?

CUSTAXIE50
04-12-2013, 01:57 AM
Finally got a reply to the question of bus parking at the venue.
"You are welcome to drop your passengers of at the gate but then you must make you own arrangements as what to do with the bus".
Any suggestions? Would there be a bus coach service in puke who may say park your bus here ,at a small cost to you.

jim short
04-12-2013, 02:06 AM
Roger are you saying all those folk who have a section along the road to the track and the side streets that normally have private parking wont be charging $5..10 to park on their private land this weekend or is it another chance to put the boot into Puke again???

RogerH
04-12-2013, 02:36 AM
It's not putting the boot into the event Jim - I hope it is a real success and I'll be watching it on the box.

However, I make no excuse for putting the boot into the people from Auckland Council who are involved running the show and have decided in their wisdom to ban car parking from the track - in my mind they are out of touch with reality. Would you run a major motor racing event Jim and not let anyone park their cars either at the venue or within a few km of the venue?

I'm sure some local residents will be charging to let cars park on their properties but that doesn't seem to be a very efficient way to deal with possibly 15,000 cars. There are about 6000 dwellings in Pukekohe and less than a quarter are within walking distance of the track - if every house takes about three cars then it should work out ........

jim short
04-12-2013, 03:18 AM
Well I have just heard plenty of parking today close to the track,the view from Giltraps hos. not that good ;no room behind the pits for big trucks ,track still bumpy,.The place to be is up on the hill{allways has been} poor crowd sofar only 4 in hospitallity unit,, , room for 25 Martin 1 sec off the pace!! qual. later today.

ERC
04-12-2013, 03:38 AM
Just out of hospital so I have a great excuse to sit watch it on TV!

Much as I don't care for ratepayer/taxpayer money being spent on the track, infrastructure and upgrades, I have to concede that Pukekohe township can support the event better than the sparsely populated surrounds of HD.

On the two V8 super car days I have been to as a guest, parking in a local field or at the track was a doddle and getting away was easy too, with a well managed traffic system. There is no need whatever to effectively force paying spectators to park 1.5km away, but remember, like F1, this is all about TV and the paying fans are a distinct second or third (or lower) on the list of priorities.

Will the security guards be confiscating all your heavy bottled water and your egg sarnies, having lugged them 1.5km?

Allan
04-12-2013, 04:21 AM
The whole idea Custaxie was to use a bus to gain a park within the circuit precinct even if there was only two of us on board, but I am sure that had we been able to do this we would have been able to fill a 30 seater from Waihi/Paeroa no problems

RacerT
04-12-2013, 05:44 AM
Hi All I went to Pukekohe today. Arrived at 12.30 and was able to drive straight to the circuit through the Puke township. A lot of parking on the market gardens leading into the circuit area on the right. I managed to sqeeze in a ride around the circuit in the safety car between classes. Circuit still bumpy as no work has been done to that and looks like a lot of concrete barriers laid around the circuit, just cause they had them!
The ones on the inside of the back straight make that quite intimidating and I can't see much point in them? Kerbs are high to keep V8's off them, but a Formula Junior would be catapulted to Mars! The dog leg in the back straight is hard to pick up at speed, as the circuit falls away and the turn-in is not defined in any way. It would be especially hard in a low single seater. Many cars were going straight ahead, especially the F5000 demo. When the marquees come down on Monday, we will still have a skeleton pit structure with a leaking plywood roof, a control room about as usable as the Jenian homes building, some concrete behind the pits for parking on and that's about it. Pukekohe circuit would be a better place if they can find some money to level and reseal the track. Tony Cochrane called the bumps 'character', but it's 'character' like a pit bull has when it keeps trying to bite you!
Lets hope it works for them, as it is a showcase of Motorsport to the general public and we need to support it.

CUSTAXIE50
04-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Hi All I went to Pukekohe today. Arrived at 12.30 and was able to drive straight to the circuit through the Puke township. A lot of parking on the market gardens leading into the circuit area on the right. I managed to sqeeze in a ride around the circuit in the safety car between classes. Circuit still bumpy as no work has been done to that and looks like a lot of concrete barriers laid around the circuit, just cause they had them!
The ones on the inside of the back straight make that quite intimidating and I can't see much point in them? Kerbs are high to keep V8's off them, but a Formula Junior would be catapulted to Mars! The dog leg in the back straight is hard to pick up at speed, as the circuit falls away and the turn-in is not defined in any way. It would be especially hard in a low single seater. Many cars were going straight ahead, especially the F5000 demo. When the marquees come down on Monday, we will still have a skeleton pit structure with a leaking plywood roof, a control room about as usable as the Jenian homes building, some concrete behind the pits for parking on and that's about it. Pukekohe circuit would be a better place if they can find some money to level and reseal the track. Tony Cochrane called the bumps 'character', but it's 'character' like a pit bull has when it keeps trying to bite you!
Lets hope it works for them, as it is a showcase of Motorsport to the general public and we need to support it.So where did the $10 mill go.

Kiwiboss
04-12-2013, 06:45 AM
So where did the $10 mill go.

Managers fee's, Consultants Fee's, Back handers, Contractor pay off's, Contractors over charges, Lobby Fee's, divvy up amongst mates, come on guys you all know how it works!!

All above board offcourse:)

Dale M

Jac Mac
04-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Where did the $10 million figure come from, I read an article today that said the figure was closer to $6.6 million..

nzeder
04-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Well I heard that Len and his mates have put 11mil into it this year (of our rate payers $$ into it - and I still have shitty gravel road which makes riding a motorcycle on dangerous) and it is excepted more every year for the fee to host the event. I heard of this 11mil 6.6mil went to the track - the rest??? who know?? AVESGO fees?? Resource managmenet fee etc as already stated above.

John McKechnie
04-12-2013, 09:21 AM
If the figure was from Aussie sources, then that would be AUS $6.6, convert that to NZ.
Go Frosty, fastest man, and well done to Holdsworth - Merc and Coruso- Nissan getting into top 10.
Forget about complaining for a couple of days , lets enjoy this spectacle.

CUSTAXIE50
04-12-2013, 09:44 AM
If the figure was from Aussie sources, then that would be AUS $6.6, convert that to NZ.
Go Frosty, fastest man, and well done to Holdsworth - Merc and Coruso- Nissan getting into top 10.
Forget about complaining for a couple of days , lets enjoy this spectacle. You may like to have a look at what Racer T had to say about the track,after he went around it and what he said.

Frosty5
04-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Will the security guards be confiscating all your heavy bottled water and your egg sarnies, having lugged them 1.5km?

You can put a ring around that. Heavy handed guards in a uniform will stop you taking that in because V8 Supercars want a cut from everything sold. It's F@#$%^&g rediculous. I went to Winton and Sandown and they were tipping out bottles of water for F@#$K sake so the punters had to buy their water at huge prices. The spectacle is great but the admin misses the point completely. Do I hear an echo of Bernie Ecclestone type behaviour. Watch at the pub or at home if you have Sky

crunch
04-12-2013, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=nzeder;27320]Well I heard that Len and his mates have put 11mil into it this year (of our rate payers $$ into it - and I still have shitty gravel road QUOTE]

You lucky bugger, that sounds like heaven! Now we are talking motorsport!

nzeder
04-12-2013, 12:28 PM
yes it is fun I have to agree :D it is great with all the off camber corners up and down hills ;) + I love it when a non local tries to follow you down/up/around = they spin out usually - well on 4 wheels it is fun - but on my road bikes that don't like the moon rocks they put down - it great with smaller stones but usually they put these large rocks down.

Anyway enough of the gravel talk back on topic

ERC
04-12-2013, 10:05 PM
It is $10m over the five years and the lady on the news last night was ecstatic that they were geting value for money. Pity they couldn't find $20,000 to support the Badminton International, which the organiser has had to finance herself.

I think we are at the track May 4th (though I won't be able to race unfortunately) so it will be interesting to see what the net gain is for ongoing users, as I am sure the extra seating won't be required! If the Jennian home has gone and someone mentioned a temporary timing box, is there now a permanent race building office - or any permanent pit buildings?

We'll see how it all pans out, as racing in a bunch is a totally different ball game from qualifying...

jim short
04-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Looks to be plenty of grass for Rod to drive on.

CUSTAXIE50
04-13-2013, 02:59 AM
Looks to be plenty of grass for Rod to drive on.Its just been on the radio now, that a kiwi driver was pulling a fast one on his hot lap, maybe he was using the grass.

nigel watts
04-13-2013, 03:42 AM
Its just been on the radio now, that a kiwi driver was pulling a fast one on his hot lap, maybe he was using the grass.

Fabian Coultard I believe. Presume everyone knows it screening on Prime right now.
As a paying spectator I'm dismayed to see the the circuit is now covered in wire fences a la Hamilton. In fact it appears that in several areas there is a double layer of mesh fencing. How people in the stands can get a clear view of the racing is beyond me.
Hopefully It'll be removed after the V8's because if it isn't we won't be able to get any decent photos which, for me anyway, means no more Pukekohe.
Bugger - really hope they come down - but realistically they probably won't.
Be like hitting a cheese grater for a motorcyclist

CUSTAXIE50
04-13-2013, 04:35 AM
Fabian Coultard I believe. Presume everyone knows it screening on Prime right now.
As a paying spectator I'm dismayed to see the the circuit is now covered in wire fences a la Hamilton. In fact it appears that in several areas there is a double layer if mesh fencing. How people in the stands can get a clear view of the racing is beyond me.
Hopefully It'll be removed after the V8's because if it isn't we won't be able to get any decent photos which, for me anyway, means no more Pukekohe.
Bugger - really hope they come down - but realistically they probably won't.
Be like hitting a cheese grater for a motorcyclistYes, where would you get a better start and that first lap they put in and getting over that hill, i dont think hd could better that.

jim short
04-13-2013, 05:14 AM
Wonder what Roger H has to say about the concrete walls ???

ERC
04-13-2013, 05:57 AM
Fabian was pinged for cutting right across the ripple strip at turn 2. All four wheels effectively off the tarseal.

Having now seen the concrete, why on earth was it necessary to have it so close to the inner track on the back straight? Many cars have a problem at railway and coast to a standstill, but now they can't pull off to safety so that means a safety car - and if there is one thing that stuffs up the racing it is the safety car.

Nigel, I totally agree. I hate watching racing through catch fences.

Carlo
04-13-2013, 06:54 AM
I hate watching racing through catch fences.
But at least you can get close to where it is happening, don't you remember how far you had to be back from everything at Wigram and how difficult it was to see the cars on the other side of the circuit simply because of the curve of the earths horizon.

RacerT
04-13-2013, 06:57 AM
I hear Andrew Higgins hit the concrete wall on the back straight in his Lola F5000 after breaking an axle on the kerbs in the demo.
He's ok, but car damaged. The concrete walls failed to absorb the impact.

bry3500
04-13-2013, 07:41 AM
From Across the ditch it was great to see Puke back on the tele. Emasculated to a degree yes, but still the best couple of corners on the V8 calender.

jim short
04-13-2013, 08:03 AM
I hear Andrew Higgins hit the concrete wall on the back straight in his Lola F5000 after breaking an axle on the kerbs in the demo.
He's ok, but car damaged. The concrete walls failed to absorb the impact.

Was the track not wide eneough that he had to drive on the kerb and cause his own problem,not the walls fault,.We in our little old single seaters are only half as big as the V8s, are moving at half their speed ,but we might take out our wheels ect. because the wall is to close!!!words fail me.Actually reminds me of a chap now living in a cold country up north had a Morgan plus a Cooper ,he would practise and then ponce around in his race gear and time and again his car would not start.the problem was known to a few ,he made shure of not starting by taking the roater out {rota} {roter}???

Carlo
04-13-2013, 09:33 AM
From Across the ditch it was great to see Puke back on the tele. Emasculated to a degree yes, but still the best couple of corners on the V8 calender.

Same thoughts from the Central South Island too.

Looking forward to more of the same tomorrow plus the Silver Fern Rally coverage on on channel 3

CUSTAXIE50
04-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Same thoughts from the Central South Island too.

Looking forward to more of the same tomorrow plus the Silver Fern Rally coverage on on channel 3How good was that best meeting so far and we have sunday to come.

RogerH
04-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Wonder what Roger H has to say about the concrete walls ???

Still can't understand from a functional perspective why they had to use so many concrete barriers around the track - seems to have unnecessarily turned an open circuit into a semi street circuit. Only reason seems to be commercial in that the AV8 share of the "investment" into Pukekohe was the left-overs they got from Hamilton so they had to use all the concrete barriers irrespective of whether they were actually needed. Also, I hear that the concrete barriers and the mesh fencing impedes spectators view in some parts of the track.
Just in case Jim thinks this is putting the boot in - there are clearly some beneficial improvements made to the circuit but like others I struggle to see where the reputed $10m has gone to - although I hear on the news this morning that Auckland Council has spent $60m in the last two years on PR so maybe PR takes a chunk of Pukekohe's $10m.

jim short
04-13-2013, 10:04 PM
When we taxpayers can shell out 2 mil. to have an old wooden boat on the waterfront for ONLY elevin days during the world cup, we give 170 mil. to a tribe not at the talks .Dunedin has backing for two hundred mil. for a rugby grandstand and their team cant win a game this year!!! 6 mil,,10 mill 20 mil who cares

crunch
04-14-2013, 12:16 AM
Well; after watching the V8's on TV yesterday I am convinced that the new dogleg adds nothing to the show

Carlo
04-14-2013, 12:42 AM
When we taxpayers can shell out 2 mil. to have an old wooden boat on the waterfront for ONLY elevin days during the world cup, we give 170 mil. to a tribe not at the talks .Dunedin has backing for two hundred mil. for a rugby grandstand and their team cant win a game this year!!! 6 mil,,10 mill 20 mil who cares

Taxpayers haven't funded Dunedin's Stadium Jim, but the rest of NZ is assisting with the funding of a shambolic Auckland roading system that aside from the State Highway should be funded 100% by the residents and users.

SPman
04-14-2013, 12:49 AM
Well, after seeing the "new, upgraded Puke" from a hotel room in Perth, I'm not impressed. It looks horrible. How the hell do you see anything behind all that concrete and wire? And the chicane at the end of the straight......wtf is that all about? Delusions of a mini Bathurst? As a bike rider - it doesn't look very bike friendly - track days for an average punter like me on a 1000 sports bike, now look decidedly more dodgy.......

RogerH
04-14-2013, 12:58 AM
According to the Herald this morning, the investment by Auckland Council was on the basis that the "new improved" track would get Category 2 FIA status. However, after an FIA inspection it only got a Category 3 approval (which is the same as it had before). An international track designer was quoted as saying it would need another $15m spent in order to get Category 2 status. I wonder if AV8 put one over the really smart people at Auckland Council ...............

CUSTAXIE50
04-14-2013, 01:52 AM
According to the Herald this morning, the investment by Auckland Council was on the basis that the "new improved" track would get Category 2 FIA status. However, after an FIA inspection it only got a Category 3 approval (which is the same as it had before). An international track designer was quoted as saying it would need another $15m spent in order to get Category 2 status. I wonder if AV8 put one over the really smart people at Auckland Council ...............So all this work to end up the same,really smart.

nigel watts
04-14-2013, 02:00 AM
The effect of what they've done is to turn an 'open' circuit into a 'street' circuit. I have a horrible feeling that, apart from the annual V8 races, they've effectively killed Pukekohe as a viable track. I can't imagine that many racers that don't have big corporate budgets will be that keen to race in a concrete jungle.
I've been going to Pukekohe as a spectator since it first opened but it remains to be seen whether that will continue or not.
I'm not really that worried though because Hampton Downs is closer to me.
Imagine if HD had got the nod.... all that concrete and high mesh fencing everywhere would have completely stuffed what we have now.. I reckon we should thank our lucky stars that it didn't happen.

AMCO72
04-14-2013, 02:02 AM
It seems that the new 'chicane' at the end of the back straight, rather than provide an extra spot to pass, has actually got rid of the one really good passing place on the old track.......that dive into the hairpin......the late braking specialists corner. Has always been great to watch the antics of drivers over the years, as they come flying into the corner on tip-toes to claim a couple more places, or come to grief bigtime.........

However Auckland has done what Hamilton tried in vain to do.....get in the spectators. Obviously despite everything being said on here, 35,000 people found places to park their cars.......and that was yesterday. Today will be chocka block.

And the difference between Hamilton and Auckland.......well population density for one, but I believe the biggest difference is that Puke is not a bloody street circuit, despite attempts to turn it into one with the placement of all the concrete barriers.
And despite all these barriers and wire grills, it is still possible to see a good bit of the track, instead of about 100 meters either side of your vantage point. Ok, Hamilton had big telly screens. So why not stay at home and watch it on your own telly.......much more comfortable AND you can drink your own beer and eat YOUR chips!!!!!!!!

No one will ever convince me that a street circuit is a good idea for spectators.....might be fine for TV, so I suppose that's where the money is.

jim short
04-14-2013, 02:20 AM
On the good side as they didnt get an upgrade ,they can forget the new part ,and take the seal out to the wall,save them fron getting stuck in the sand and pos.be safer. Carlo did not the Gov. stand behind the rugby club over the $200 mil,not saying they payed the money only will help out if needed????

RacerT
04-14-2013, 04:24 AM
The effect of what they've done is to turn an 'open' circuit into a 'street' circuit. I have a horrible feeling that, apart from the annual V8 races, they've effectively killed Pukekohe as a viable track. I can't imagine that many racers that don't have big corporate budgets will be that keen to race in a concrete jungle.
I've been going to Pukekohe as a spectator since it first opened but it remains to be seen whether that will continue or not.
I'm not really that worried though because Hampton Downs is closer to me.
Imagine if HD had got the nod.... all that concrete and high mesh fencing everywhere would have completely stuffed what we have now.. I reckon we should thank our lucky stars that it didn't happen.

HD didn't need any of the Hamilton infrastructure, so it would not have changed. HD also didn't need the $6.6 million 'upgrade', as it was already ready to go. One of the reasons Cochrane went to Pukekohe was to use the Hamilton infrastructure that he had paid for.

nzeder
04-14-2013, 04:32 AM
It might have reduced the passing under brakes at the hairpin but some can still get a good entry and exit passing maneuver. Good crowds all weekend so for that type of meeting the changes work. The jury is still out in my mind as far as other meetings go.

Oldfart
04-14-2013, 04:50 AM
I have no idea whether it was good at the track, but I would have to say that the TV did a great job. Rather special to see Brad Jones Racing and Jason Bright take out the Jason Richards Memorial.

Oldfart
04-14-2013, 04:51 AM
HD didn't need any of the Hamilton infrastructure, so it would not have changed. HD also didn't need the $6.6 million 'upgrade', as it was already ready to go. One of the reasons Cochrane went to Pukekohe was to use the Hamilton infrastructure that he had paid for.

And then flogged off to the supercity?

Paul Wilkinson
04-14-2013, 05:07 AM
I'm pretty sure the new chicane is so they get another chance for good vehicle profile shots for the TV coverage. If you look at some of the blatantly repetitive slo-mo profile shots of some cars at a certain corner at Bathurst last year, it gives the impression they sell a certain number of 'spots' to sponsors.

ERC
04-14-2013, 07:16 AM
It might have reduced the passing under brakes at the hairpin but some can still get a good entry and exit passing maneuver. Good crowds all weekend so for that type of meeting the changes work. The jury is still out in my mind as far as other meetings go.
Interesting to see the speed and the gears used approaching the hairpin. It works OK for them as they have tremendous grunt and were back up to 5th before braking again for the hairpin. For those of us with lesser cars we just about get up to top speed on the old track and braking for the hairpin was often the only safe passing place.
Classics are not normally rubbing door handles, as it is distinctly risky trying to pass in places that are deemed OK for the V8s where they are happy to wipe out door mirrors.

It is still a great track for a fast lap or a hot lap, but racing is all about sharing track space and in that respect, it is fine for one or two weekends a year but I fear that quite a few classes would rather not race in concrete tunnels.

Great TV though and an emotional win for the Brad Jones outfit, but with no photo opportunities, I can't see me going as a spectator.

nzeder
04-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Good point Ray, speed plays a big part in those new corners at the end of the straight. It works for the V8 supercars and it was great racing to watch on the TV. Classics and other classes like I stated above the jury is still out.

Very fitting for the Brad Jones team to take out the Jason Richards race of the round.

Malcolm McLeod
04-14-2013, 09:19 AM
And I'm not looking foward to clambering over concrete walls to flag...from what I hear the old "flowerpots" have gone, so the flagpoints are $^!+ now...maybe the track should be left now for the V8's, other NASCAR type events, and truck racing.
Um...the new pit complex...isn't that just bigger tents?

bry3500
04-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Good point Ray, speed plays a big part in those new corners at the end of the straight. It works for the V8 supercars and it was great racing to watch on the TV. Classics and other classes like I stated above the jury is still out.

Very fitting for the Brad Jones team to take out the Jason Richards race of the round.

Would it be possible to reinstate the old section for Historic events?

CUSTAXIE50
04-14-2013, 09:58 AM

Very fitting for the Brad Jones team to take out the Jason Richards race of the round.Dont know about that last race,would like to know about the other classes out there that raced this weekend,any photos

Maino
04-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Fantastic weekend at Pukekohe. New infrastructure looks brilliant. Additional corners add a new exciting dimension. Great job done by all. Looking forward to racing there. I like racing at HD but also like having a local alternative.

ERC
04-14-2013, 07:35 PM
I don't see why not.

However, as I understand it, there are classes that are unhappy about the close proximity of the concrete walls and I really can't see the track management moving barriers and catch fencing now they are in place. The back straight complex is an easy fix but race promoters will need to let drivers know in the ASR's whether or not they are using the old or new track. Unless stated otherwise, I would assume they will use the 'new' layout. In fact the regs for the first HRC meeting, early May, make no reference whatever to the track configuration or the track length.

Murray Maunder
04-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Purely and simply this smells like an exercise in retrieving value from the Hamilton investment - for AV8.
1. Getting better pit facilities is a plus but the rest IMHO is questionable. Without having had the benefit of having watched the event live and only watched a few laps on TV (the V8s don't do much for me to be honest) the racing didn't look as great as the Murph years were.
2. I don't get the layout change. It seemed to result in a lot of slip road indiscretions which make for a nightmare for stewards in the absence of TV replays.
3. The TV suffers from high camera angles necessitated by the height of the catch fencing. Height, especially when translated across all 8 or 9 or whatever track cameras brings a diminishing of apparent speed and the ability to see the car's dynamics. In a word it makes the shots look BLAND. To me it looked for the most part like another Oz street circuit.
4. The lining of the track with concrete at track's edge make an off a more expensive event.
5. For bikes it has now become an unsanctionable track from what I am told. The history of Puke and bikes is - for all you car only types - as rich as cars at Puke. It's a sad day for those of us who have seen it's demise as a bike racing track.
6. While having HD down the highway was impacting on the usage of Puke, now I can see Puke being a one trick pony. When the Cochrane mob tire of the issues of an old track I can see it could truly be HISTORY.

In a way it makes a change to see the taxpayer general throwing dollars at motorsport it seems to be a con job by Cochocorp with little to commend it from the enthusiasts point of view except we kept the event in New Zealand.

crunch
04-14-2013, 09:27 PM

Absolutely, and why wouldnt you as the new bits add nothing

crunch
04-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Purely and simply this smells like an exercise in retrieving value from the Hamilton investment - for AV8.
1. Getting better pit facilities is a plus but the rest IMHO is questionable. Without having had the benefit of having watched the event live and only watched a few laps on TV (the V8s don't do much for me to be honest) the racing didn't look as great as the Murph years were.
2. I don't get the layout change. It seemed to result in a lot of slip road indiscretions which make for a nightmare for stewards in the absence of TV replays.
3. The TV suffers from high camera angles necessitated by the height of the catch fencing. Height, especially when translated across all 8 or 9 or whatever track cameras brings a diminishing of apparent speed and the ability to see the car's dynamics. In a word it makes the shots look BLAND. To me it looked for the most part like another Oz street circuit.
4. The lining of the track with concrete at track's edge make an off a more expensive event.
5. For bikes it has now become an unsanctionable track from what I am told. The history of Puke and bikes is - for all you car only types - as rich as cars at Puke. It's a sad day for those of us who have seen it's demise as a bike racing track.
6. While having HD down the highway was impacting on the usage of Puke, now I can see Puke being a one trick pony. When the Cochrane mob tire of the issues of an old track I can see it could truly be HISTORY.

In a way it makes a change to see the taxpayer general throwing dollars at motorsport it seems to be a con job by Cochocorp with little to commend it from the enthusiasts point of view except we kept the event in New Zealand.

Agree. Mark Skaife and co couldn't stop giving the circuit all the positive comment they could over the weekend...what a surprise...gotta justify it somehow.

Chris Read
04-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Re staying at home and eating your own Chips Amco72.....nothing to do with motor racing but I was at the Paul Simon concert last week in Dunedin and a lady in front of me at the bag search!!!! had a block of chocolate taken from her as it was something she could buy inside the stadium.
How ridiculous.
I stepped in and said she was my wife and I was a diabetic and I needed it in case I had a hypo and handed it back to here and on we walked inside.........and she was so dumbfounded she said nothing. The security guard had the same look as the the Mayor of Hiroshima....'what the f... was that'.

nzeder
04-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Ok I am not a horse person but with from watching on TV the pits/race control tower looked to be removable and given the track is used for horses how can the punters see the all important part of the track - the home straight - from the stands (someone who was there or has been there might like to comment on this as state only going by the shots I spotted on the TV) with these in their current place.

So it might be good to have those facilities but the horse based events might mean they come down and will not be available for meetings - so V8 Supercars only? Anybody know the answer?

CUSTAXIE50
04-15-2013, 01:42 AM
[QUOTE=RogerH;27385]Still can't understand from a functional perspective why they had to use so many concrete barriers around the track - seems to have unnecessarily turned an open circuit into a semi street circuit. Only reason seems to be commercial in that the AV8 share of the "investment" into Pukekohe was the left-overs they got from Hamilton so they had to use all the concrete barriers irrespective of whether they were actually needed. Also, I hear that the concrete barriers and the mesh fencing impedes spectators view in some parts of the track.
Just in case Jim thinks this is putting the boot in - there are clearly some beneficial improvements made to the circuit but like others I struggle to see where the reputed $10m has gone to - although I hear on the news this morning that Auckland Council has spent $60m in the last two years on PR so maybe PR takes a chunk of Pukekohe's $10m.[/QUOTE They spent $10mill over two years, going to places out of nz.

Haga
04-15-2013, 02:35 AM
I went and I will put on spectators hat and say it was the best Supercar meeting I have been to in NZ. Security/Gatepeople were awesome and could not be more polite. You were allowed to bring drink and food in aok.

Sitting in the grandstand (as I have for every V8 event I have been to) I was concerned about the new control tower etc blocking view but it was as before. The barriers on rear straight do block out lower part of car. Walked around everywhere including the new corners and for non grandstand people there were heaps of spectator areas with good views.

Food was reasonably priced but drink was crazy ($5.00) but you can bring your own in...so cannot complain really.

The format of 4 V8 races etc was brilliant and eliminated some boring nose to tail 60 lap races of the past. There was plenty of action ie NZ races to watch and I thought the balance of racing versus displays was excellent so that you could shoot down to pits etc.

The toilets (which have always annoyed me) were pretty good and I noticed cleaners in there all the time...never happened in the past.

Parking was easy, we parked right by the entrance gate in the track car park (you bought tickets online) and it only took about a 1/2 hour to 45mins to get out.

From my view it made Hamilton look like a complete mess and this was a view shared by the people who sat around me. Cannot think about many (if any) negatives from a spectator view and will be back next year.

PS: My only gripe was the standard of driving from the HQ driver (SW) who I watched run two people off the track (hitting one) in Musclecar Qualifying. There were other drivers going at same (and faster) pace who showed respect to slower drivers....good on them.

Rod Grimwood
04-15-2013, 08:48 AM
The barriers down the inside of back straight seemed strange, as mentioned before by somebody, no where to pullover, why not down the outside of horse rail. Over the hill not as bad as people were saying earlier, the new kink in back straight looked interesting, and there was still braking duels and passing at hairpin, maybe bit more than before, but i do feel it will not suit alot of 'ordinary class's and motorsport competitors'
Top format the 4 race set up and good racing, believe 'Frosty' was shown the map to Waikaraka Park, but it wasn't his fault, it was every one else. 2 meetings in a row he has made a complete tool of himself, and it is a big mouth and they are the easy ones to shut, normally by a lot smaller guy. Another rumour has him going to NASCA and flatting with Stewart and Danica.

bry3500
04-15-2013, 08:59 AM
I agree about the barriers down the inside of the back straight Rod. The appeared to run half way down and just stop. What is the desired option there, Armco? grass?
I first went to Pukekohe with my Dad back in the 60s. I was 8. I had been to a couple of events at Ohakea and the bug had bitten, but it was at Puke that I can clearly remember thinking that not ony were the drivers as brave as Spitfire pilots but completely crazy as well.
I hope Auckland is big enough to support 2 great tracks, and that Puke survives and keeps making steps forward.

RacerT
04-21-2013, 10:06 PM
In answer to BRY3500's question; "Would it be possible to reinstate the old section for Historic events?" It could be reinstated, but the circuit license doesn't permit the old back straight to be used. The focus of the circuit is V8SC's. I hear there were drainage problems at race meeting on saturday?

Oldfart
04-21-2013, 11:55 PM
In answer to BRY3500's question; "Would it be possible to reinstate the old section for Historic events?" It could be reinstated, but the circuit license doesn't permit the old back straight to be used. The focus of the circuit is V8SC's. I hear there were drainage problems at race meeting on saturday?

A competitor from this weekend said it was a lake at the new part, and races called.

ERC
04-22-2013, 01:11 AM
Apparently they are going to get the "old" straight configuration licenced, but there is a bit more work to be done first.

nzeder
04-23-2013, 09:22 AM
A competitor from this weekend said it was a lake at the new part, and races called. Yes a friend raced there on the Saturday and drainage is a major issue, railway corner on to the back straight fills up to the new curb.

Trevor Sheffield
04-23-2013, 09:32 PM
I first went to Pukekohe with my Dad back in the 60s. I was 8. I had been to a couple of events at Ohakea and the bug had bitten, but it was at Puke that I can clearly remember thinking that not ony were the drivers as brave as Spitfire pilots but completely crazy as well.
I hope Auckland is big enough to support 2 great tracks, and that Puke survives and keeps making steps forward.

Back then motor racing was motor racing. We did not expect to play tiddlywinks. LOL

RacerT
04-24-2013, 11:57 PM
Where did the $6.6 million get spent? As rate payers and tax payers we are entitled to know.

Grant Sprague
04-25-2013, 01:27 AM
You know, there is just something special about the track , the place the atmosphere, ever since I was 9 yrs old , 1963 GP we trunddled up in a green mk 3 with a roof rack on top , the car was a beast in its day.
Then it was about 4 yrs later I had the chance to go back up north, & saw the track again in awe & the smell of onions from the hill by the car park normally with Ernie , Gary & Leo & a few times after mthat after that if I was lucky, as the years flowed by I was lucky to experience first hand the beautiful energy of the track , in different cars but never the long track [like many of you here I guess] , the circut really is fanastic [old &new] the hill & right hander well in fact all the corners had magic to them, like any race track I guess just gets you going ....................... Go Puke

John McKechnie
04-25-2013, 01:55 AM
Grant- I have just been reading about your group-
a chap was asking Leo questions, and his answers , as usual were laconic
Q-What have you been doing to the car, she seems to be going pretty good?
L- not bad.
Q-I was watching as it came over Rothmans and it was sitting pretty flat?
L-not bad.
The tyres must be pretty good with grip like that?
L-not bad.
Questioner then went to another man and Leo heard-
Who were you talking to?
Thats "not bad" Leo, hes a mate of "not bad" Ernie and they are from the "not bad" team from Timaru.
Taken from-Leo Leonard-A Personal View m/m June 1974

Grant Sprague
04-25-2013, 05:49 AM
a chap was asking Leo questions, and his answers , as usual were laconic
Q-What have you been doing to the car, she seems to be going pretty good?
L- not bad.
Q-I was watching as it came over Rothmans and it was sitting pretty flat?
L-not bad.
The tyres must be pretty good with grip like that?
L-not bad.
Questioner then went to another man and Leo heard-
Who were you talking to?
Thats "not bad" Leo, hes a mate of "not bad" Ernie and they are from the "not bad" team from Timaru.
Taken from-Leo Leonard-A Personal View m/m June 1974 lol thats not bad .....re in those days as for " hey must be good tyres" , I still remember , how we learnt that skimmed tyres were the go provided you looked after them eg not cooking them [skidding a tyre not 2 much under or over steer ], etc etc. [1974 ???] could have been B&H , or are you talking of winter series ?? where slicks were used .......... The Timaru Group kept things close , most of those races were won in pit stops , although they were very good steerers............. Ernie was light years ahead when it came to planing j... no disrespect to any one else ....he had been at it longer had the experience at that point & time & kept it up .... thats not bad

Carlo
04-26-2013, 07:07 AM
I am with Grant about Puke, my initial visit there was on my 1st big Northern adventure called the 1996 Tasman Series. I have enjoyed every experience I have had there including oral gymnatisics with officialdome and I often use experiences gained there to illustrate a point to an official who maybe exceeding their capabilities.

Kiwiboss
04-27-2013, 03:21 AM
I understand were Grants coming from as he has great childhood memories from Puke and i bet many others do, been the fact its 50 years old probably holds alot of historic value to many people. But to me its my least favourite track to race on, its all about "horsepower" down the back straight which equals $$$ and "Big Kahoonars" though the valley of death, the mountain(hill to me) and Jennian(turn one) race cars that can beat me at Puke i've beenable to beat at other tracks because they didn't have so much accurate handling set up, just stick more HP in has always been the way!!

Manfeild is my most favourite track with Hampton next, both good technical tracks that require skill and a good set up/ handling vehicle!! Taupo and SI tracks next, i'll still race at Puke but not fazed if i never did again but appreciate its long history.

Dale M

Rod Grimwood
04-27-2013, 03:50 AM
Yep, history is what is keeping alot interested. Done a couple of laps, and yes it was a horse power track, get passed by big boys down the back staright, sneak up on them(sometimes even pass) into hairpin, hassle them up and over the hill, they sneak away down front straight, and then up their date again around Champion (flat) into esse's and then onto back staright, that was the first lap and then as they stormed off and got further away each lap catch up about 8 laps later in pits. Don't know if I would push as hard over hill and through champion with concrete everywhere.

Did meeting with long track, man it was easy to be taking 2 takes at that left elbow.

Grant Sprague
04-27-2013, 06:12 AM
I understand were Grants coming from as he has great childhood memories from Puke and i bet many others do, been the fact its 50 years old probably holds alot of historic value to many people. But to me its my least favourite track to race on, its all about "horsepower" down the back straight which equals $$$ and "Big Kahoonars" though the valley of death, the mountain(hill to me) and Jennian(turn one) race cars that can beat me at Puke i've beenable to beat at other tracks because they didn't have so much accurate handling set up, just stick more HP in has always been the way!!

Manfeild is my most favourite track with Hampton next, both good technical tracks that require skill and a good set up/ handling vehicle!! Taupo and SI tracks next, i'll still race at Puke but not fazed if i never did again but appreciate its long history.

Dale M WWeellllllll mine was a mix really Dale , did a lot of racing there , escort sports, liquor king ,anglias, & the mustang etc probably spread over 25yrs , for sure the child hood memories as well . What people forget is when a track is closed down like Bay park you can never get it back & it has a great impact on the community as a whole .as you know we did a lot of testing locally etc etc there & it was a very valuable assett is you wanted to stay up the pointy end after bay park closed I used extended weekends at other tracks [& or] used the odd country road to bed in brakes etc etc , like when Taupo got rebuilt I think there was a holding period & racers were walking around like a beer with a hang over ,Rod I understand where you are coming from also , thats a part of motor racing , wasnt it fun coming up on a quicker car & playing cat & mouse we all have some storys to tell & Dale you have done some home work over the last few years on the suspension department , I heard the odd comments how yr cars is going plus you are driving it really well to boot [I have my spies lol ], I remember it was very heavy also , must catch up soon we keep saying it . Any way it is great to talk & catch up like this ...talk soon Grant

ERC
04-27-2013, 06:32 AM
I find Pukekohe quite an interesting track inasmuch as you can have a car with good acceleration but runs out of steam before a slugger. Those with good horsepower, may or may not attack the valley of death or the mountain as quick as less powerful or slower cars.

I wouldn't dream of overtaking anyone on the mountain, even if I am inches from their rear bumper as there is zero room for error. Equally, Jennian is hellish quick, but in classics, coming away with the bodywork intact is preferable to a risky overtake.

Hampton Downs seems exceptionally tough on the front left tyres and brakes, so Puke is much kinder (and therefore cheaper).

Carlo
04-27-2013, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=ERC;28053]

Hampton Downs seems exceptionally tough on the front left tyre QUOTE]

If you turn in early and understeer otherwise it is the LH rear that takes the hiding