PDA

View Full Version : Matamata Round the houses.

Oldfart
10-31-2012, 05:44 AM
I have very fond memories of this, but don't seem to be able to find much.
Anyone?

Steve Holmes
10-31-2012, 06:50 AM
How many years did they run it for Rhys? I don't think it was on the championship trail so didn't get the media coverage that other events did. There are a couple of great photos floating about of Red Dawson in his Willys coupe and Garth Souness in the Morrari from Matamata.

Oldfart
10-31-2012, 07:13 AM
I believe it ran for 2 years. The old man was Town Clerk there. There were plenty of articles and photos in Motorman, Almost all the "names" took part with every class imaginable.

nigel watts
10-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Yep, I remember these meetings. Saw my first E Type Jag and Gordon Keeble at the Matamata races. Must have been 63 & 64 I think

Oldfart
10-31-2012, 10:54 AM
I am pretty sure it was not 63, as we did not live there then. 64 and 65 or 65 and 66. I could have confirmed this if the council official newspaper cutting books had not been sent to the Turnbull after Mum died last year, as she collated them.
Certainly Andy Buchanan and co were there as I remember that he won the feature one year in the Brabham (?)

David McKinney
10-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Definitely 64 and 65. I went to the first one, but not the second

Ten points for whoever can identify the Spitfire driver:

stubuchanan
10-31-2012, 12:15 PM
The Spitfire Man. Perhaps someone who was more often seen in small saloons and bigger single-seaters?

Stu

David McKinney
10-31-2012, 01:27 PM
I would think that description fits

Milan Fistonic
11-01-2012, 03:54 AM
12660 12661

Milan Fistonic
11-01-2012, 04:06 AM
The circuit appears to be the same for both years.

Steve Holmes
11-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Fantastic thread, lets keep this going. Thanks for starting this Rhys.

jim short
11-02-2012, 12:22 AM
I was there ,first time I ever saw a car with dual wheels, a Dodge or ???plus around the fuel tanks at Mt Maunganui was the same time Frank Matich in a Lotus 19 ?? and a Brabham?? cleaned up. Archibald in a Mk2 Jag also ran I think

hilstwist
11-02-2012, 12:51 AM
I just have to ask but did Archibald ever race that MK11 Jag in the North Island? I am sure he was never at Levin as I remember allways wishing he was going to be there

Oldfart
11-02-2012, 01:50 AM
I was there ,first time I ever saw a car with dual wheels, a Dodge or ???plus around the fuel tanks at Mt Maunganui was the same time Frank Matich in a Lotus 19 ?? and a Brabham?? cleaned up. Archibald in a Mk2 Jag also ran I think

Colin Lumsden in the Dodge Kingsway? I remember him coming out of the Loop at Puke, standing on it and the back of the car was hidden totally by tyre smoke!

jim short
11-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Archibald was in those 6hr races at Puke .Sadly I never saw him ,only wheels I had back then had Ped??? on the side a convertable top one or two pusher motors now fifty years ago.I did see him up close in 64 Ardmore reunion at Puke.had to look fast as he wasnt along side for very long plus Marwood was stuck to my bumper in stock standard v8 Rover ..No he woundnt BS me.Years later Ernie Spraque told me Ray changed his diff ratio to suit

Rex Bentham
11-02-2012, 09:43 AM
I sure remember the dual wheel Dodge, imagine trying get past, it must have 8 feet wide! Also Rod Coppins Mark II battling with a
Mini Cooper, maybe Brian Innes? How good was that when the Motor Racing came to our hometown, seem to remember there was
so much anti feeling from the residents about noise, damage to property etc that it was canned after the 2 meetings. Nothing
changes! Does anyone recall the Matamata Airfield grass track meetings? Must have been 1956-57? You couldn't see much of
the racing, only the start, the rest of it was under a huge cloud of dust. By the end of the day the cars had dug a trench around each
corner. Some great old cars tho', I think the Lycoming was there on one occassion. My first introduction to motorsport.

David McKinney
11-02-2012, 12:49 PM
The dual-wheel Dodge was a DeSoto. Ended up with a Corvette engine and disc brakes, IIRC

Ray Archibald raced his Mk2s at Ardmore, Ohakea and Pukekohe (GP meeting as well as 6hr)

Oldfart
11-02-2012, 07:48 PM
There were also grasstrack at Waharoa in the 60s or 70s, I am not sure when but as we did not live there for long it had to be between 64 and 70. I remember the first Hillman Imp I had seen racing, apparently faster in 3rd than top according to the commentator. Lycoming was there with Jim Boyd.
Of course there was Raglan grasstrack around the same period

jim short
11-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Well I must have seen Ray at Ardmore as I only missed the first year 54 ,I clearly remember Tom Clark big Mk 7 Cantwell running out of petrol in blue XK 140 ,Bob Gibons in the pale blue D Type plus the two Ferrari sport cars that I have so many debates over the years NOT the same Jenson had a 3.4 motor . a 860, whartons was a 750, different bonets and grills ,yet most reports say they were the same ,strange I do remember Ray he had the whole front covered with tape looked ugly I think??

Milan Fistonic
11-04-2012, 07:37 AM
There were also grasstrack at Waharoa in the 60s or 70s, I am not sure when but as we did not live there for long it had to be between 64 and 70. I remember the first Hillman Imp I had seen racing, apparently faster in 3rd than top according to the commentator. Lycoming was there with Jim Boyd.
Of course there was Raglan grasstrack around the same period

This meeting at Waharoa was held on March 4 1961.

Milan Fistonic
11-04-2012, 07:44 AM

The 3.8 Jaguar that ran at the Mount the year Matich competed (1963) was driven by John Ward from Gisborne.

jim short
11-04-2012, 08:17 AM
So did Archibald race there at all I think perhaps Jim Palmer may have won instead of Matich???? Met Matich at a cycle Fair in LA about 17yrs. ago joined a group to ask about his cycle helmets{headway brand} when my turn came I asked hin about racing around the fuel tanks at the Mount ,He was pleased to remember!!

jamie
11-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi Gang Raced there 2 times good fun Jamie A

Oldfart
11-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Thanks for that programme Milan, clears up a few things with Bucklers too!
Do you have any programmes for Mid 60s at Waharoa? I know they happened, and of course Raglan too!
Sometimes my spelling is so crap! Changed now. My english teacher at school would be turning.

Rex Bentham
11-06-2012, 05:42 AM
Well done Milan, some great names and cars on that programme, thanks for having the foresight to keep a piece of paper most of us
threw in the bin the next day! My apologies for calling it Matamata Airfield (as it is now) back then it was always called Waharoa
Aerodrome.

Milan Fistonic
11-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Well done Milan, some great names and cars on that programme, thanks for having the foresight to keep a piece of paper most of us
threw in the bin the next day! My apologies for calling it Matamata Airfield (as it is now) back then it was always called Waharoa
Aerodrome.

The Car Club calls it the Waharoa Aerodrome but the Piako Aero Club disagrees.

"The Piako Aero Club once again welcomes the Hamilton Car Club to Matamata Airfield. We hope this day will be as successful and safe as all previous meetings. G. Fromm, President, Piako Aero Club.

Steve Holmes
11-07-2012, 02:04 AM
Outstanding thread. I'm really enjoying this. Thanks Milan for your postings. You never cease to amaze me with what you have in your collection.

David Manton
11-07-2012, 02:25 AM
So did Archibald race there at all I think perhaps Jim Palmer may have won instead of Matich???? Met Matich at a cycle Fair in LA about 17yrs. ago joined a group to ask about his cycle helmets{headway brand} when my turn came I asked hin about racing around the fuel tanks at the Mount ,He was pleased to remember!!

The driver of the silver 3.8 Jaguar at the Matamata and Mt Maunganui street races was Chris Keehan, from Central Hawkes Bay, a popular member of the local Car Club. Chris and other club members shared car rides and motels to keep costs down while trekking to race meetings from HB. I've got a photo somewhere of group members sharing a meal before Sunday racing started at Matamata. Included in the photo is Angus Hyslop's race engineer/mechanic Bill Hanna, Nigel ? (raced a fast dark green Fiat saloon), the Cooper single-seater driver Bruce Webster and a young motoring writer from The Napier Daily Telegraph. It was an extremely cold Winter morning!

jim short
11-07-2012, 07:40 AM
I think Mt maunganui street races ran for 2 yrs??? I think Archibald took part, also prety shure Dennis Marwood as well in a Humber 80

Lurker
11-07-2012, 08:29 AM

Not sure I saw a definitive answer on this - Is it Reginald Cook?

Milan Fistonic
11-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks for that programme Milan, clears up a few things with Bucklers too!
Do you have any programmes for Mid 60s at Waharoa? I know they happened, and of course Raglan too!
Sometimes my spelling is so crap! Changed now. My english teacher at school would be turning.

Sorry that's the only Waharoa programme, but I do have this one from another Hamilton Car Club Grass Track Meeting held in 1970.

Milan Fistonic
11-07-2012, 09:44 AM
I think Mt maunganui street races ran for 2 yrs??? I think Archibald took part, also prety shure Dennis Marwood as well in a Humber 80

Yes two years 1962 and '63. Alistair McBeath in '62 and John Ward in '63 drove the only two Jaguar saloons that raced at that circuit.

I've just noticed my scanner has chopped off the top line of the 1963 list.

52 Fuller, R. W. Wellington Humber 80 Fuller Motor Bodies Ltd

stubuchanan
11-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Not sure I saw a definitive answer on this - Is it Reginald Cook?

There wasn't. Just someone with an answer being secretive. Newspaper report said "K.Grant". Drove A40/Lotus Cortina? Brabham 2.5.

Don't know if he ever drove a Spitfire at other meetings. Someone who lived at the other end of N Island might.

Stu

David McKinney
11-07-2012, 06:18 PM
The driver of the silver 3.8 Jaguar at the Matamata and Mt Maunganui street races was Chris Keehan, from Central Hawkes Bay, a popular member of the local Car Club. Chris and other club members shared car rides and motels to keep costs down while trekking to race meetings from HB. I've got a photo somewhere of group members sharing a meal before Sunday racing started at Matamata. Included in the photo is Angus Hyslop's race engineer/mechanic Bill Hanna, Nigel ? (raced a fast dark green Fiat saloon), the Cooper single-seater driver Bruce Webster and a young motoring writer from The Napier Daily Telegraph. It was an extremely cold Winter morning!
Chris Keehan did race the Jag at Matamata (and Ahuriri) but not, I think, ay the Mount

David McKinney
11-07-2012, 06:19 PM
There wasn't. Just someone with an answer being secretive. Newspaper report said "K.Grant". Drove A40/Lotus Cortina? Brabham 2.5.

Don't know if he ever drove a Spitfire at other meetings. Someone who lived at the other end of N Island might.

Stu
Kerry Grant raced the Spitfire at Ruapuna and then Matamata, then sold it to my mate Ian Pinkerton

rogered
11-09-2012, 08:07 AM
norm agnew

David McKinney
11-09-2012, 01:25 PM
No, it's Kerry Grant

rogered
11-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Are You Sure????

Milan Fistonic
11-10-2012, 03:58 AM
Are You Sure????

Yes he is sure!

Agnew drove a Spitfire numbered 23 in 1965.

Grant drove the Spitfire pictured, numbered 31, in 1964.

Roger Dowding
09-23-2020, 05:29 AM

The answer - somewhat late is ... Kerry Grant in the Spitfire.

as seen in this photo
Sadly David cannot award the ten points [ RIP David McKinney and RIP Kerry Grant recently ].

This is a Morrie Given photo as found in the Scott - Given Studio archives on the events in Matamata.

and this photo from Bob Homewood archives. Think the same photo that started the question in the earlier post..

The car is also in this group - photo by Alan Boyle

I posted the Scott - Given series of photos on my Dunedin Thread - but perhaps they could be repeated here.
This thread was started in 2012 before I joined TRS and I don't think I have looked at it before.

Roger Dowding
09-23-2020, 05:36 AM
This meeting at Waharoa was held on March 4 1961.

Some great names in the entry lists .. Would #98 R W Williams Ford V8 - be Rob Williams from Glen Eden ??
- that's where his Panelbeaters was in the 1960's

khyndart in CA
09-23-2020, 06:43 AM
Roger,
I remember being at that Waharoa Meet in 1961 with my schoolmate Hylton Cameron as we watched his brother Kelvin Cameron
compete in the Sports Car race in his Minstral TR 2 # 24.
I also remember Denny Hulme talking over the speaker system at the lunch break about his racing experiences during the 1960
European season as a joint winner of the Driver to Europe programme and the sad loss of his co-winner and friend George Lawton.

Thanks for the memory. ( Fun times close to home !)
Ken H

Roger Dowding
09-26-2020, 05:27 AM
Had a drive around Matamata today - beautiful sunny day, and had my camera. Drove the Track as shown in this Milan Fistonic map of the track using the roads from Hohaia Street [ where the start finish and pits were - near Huia Street - opposite Tawa Street ]
Right into Tamihana Street, then Right into Meura Street, left into Tui Street, Right into to Tamihana Street,by the Council Buildings
[ now a new building ] Right into Broadway down to Hohaia Street [ by the Anglican Church.

Will download and post some photos - taken at the time and the current scenes.
Quite a lot of information was provided when the photos of the 1964 and 1965 events were posted on the Dunedin 1984 thread.
It deserves to be repeated here..

The Map from Milan - aligned for North.

Google Maps - the area in 2020

The Start / Finish and a field of Saloon Cars ready to go - Heat Two of the Saloon Scratch Races - from the local newspaper.

11 Aug 2022 - image added.
Entry List for this Race - Heat 2 of the Saloon Car Scratch Races.

Have gone back over my photos [ collected by but not taken by me - was only 17 at the time of the second meeting,still at school,no licence - until August 1965 and no car - that took a year of work and happened in February 1967 ] and corrected dates etc from the information you TRS Guys have provided - the notes on the photos already posted may be incorrect as far as dates go.

Oldfart
09-26-2020, 12:40 PM
You couldn't quite drive the track Roger, The islands on Broadway tend to stop that :)

Roger Dowding
09-27-2020, 04:42 AM
You couldn't quite drive the track Roger, The islands on Broadway tend to stop that :)

Yep, would have been on the wrong road [ side of the double roadway - Broadway ].
A few building still there - the Regent Theatre, no longer used as that. The Cleaver Motors Car Dealers, diagonally opposite the Matamata Town Council Building [ New Building is now the Matamata Piako District Council ] is now " Ag-Worx " selling equipment and Spa pools. The Churches are still there too. Many other Commerical buildings off the Broadway are new but the shops along the front probably pre-date the races, as do many of the houses on the side streets.

More to come on this when I get the photos scanned - a rainy day job. Daylight Saving started today so was a change the clocks day.

Cheers Rhys

Roger Dowding
09-28-2020, 05:19 AM
" Thanks for the memory. ( Fun times close to home !)
Ken H "

These are for you Ken H, Rhys N and Kevin H too !! the locals, and for all the guys on TRS.

The Start - in Hohaia Street near Huia St and Tui St - pits on the corner of Huia and Hohaia Sts.
This is looking in the direction of the race [ South ]

Cars at the Start from 1964-65. Anglican Church in the baclground.

The Start point was moved for the 1965 races but still near Tui Street and the pits in the park area at Huia Street.
This photo from the other side of the road - still the 1964 event, I believe.

The Council Building corner [ Meura and Tainui Sts ]
The new District Council building

The Matamata Town Council Building - same site in 1964

Took 40 photos around town, now trying to align with the 1964-65 photos and cuttings I have collected.
These are the first..

Roger Dowding
09-29-2020, 04:08 AM
A bit more of the " Now and Then " or " Then and Now " around the streets of Matamata.

Cars passing by the Cleaver Motors - Morris Dealers - Building diagonally opposite the Council Building
This is the building that Alan Boyle and Ron Brown were in on the day of the 1964 races.

Another photo with more of Cleaver Motors in the background - Alan and Ron were in the window on the right ].

This is the same building in 2020 Ag-Worx on the corner - Alan, Ron and Co were in the window on the right

Roger Smith in his Austin Healey passing a house -street not defined, but ...

These are two house in Tainui Street - after the cars passed the Council Building - the corner with Cleaver Motors they drove up Tainui Street to Broadway into another right turn
These houses are on the right as they drove up - look similar.

Archive photos from the Scott - Given Studio archives taken by Morrie Given [ Kevin Hirst's Uncle ] part of the set acquired by Ross Cammick, through Myles Hicks - connection here being that Myles is restoring the Russell Leathers Pat McLoughlin Austin Healey 3000 Ruddspeed, that became the McLoughlin Austin Healey 4000, and by Matamata was 4200 cc. More of that story on the Austin Healey thread.

Roger Dowding
09-29-2020, 05:00 AM
More photos from the Scott - Given Studio archives.

D Jurie Consul 315 has gone through the Cleaver Motors /Council Building corner

Saloons - the start - Anglican Church just seen.

Saloons at Cleaver Motors the corner

Big Saloons past the same corner - small building opposite the Council Building on Tainui Street

The Anglican Church today seen from across Broadway - Hohaia Street to the right.

Local Guys are you homesick yet.
Ken H in the USA
Kevin H in Mangawhai
Rhys N in the UK.

Cheers
Roger

Roger Dowding
09-29-2020, 05:29 AM
From Milan Fistonic -re the start.

" The start finish line in 1964 was in Hohaia Street just before the Tawa Street intersection. In 1965 it was still in Hohaia Street but was moved to just past Tawa Street.

In 1964 the pits were in a corner of the Domain opposite the Brethren Church in Meura Street. In 1965 they were moved to the opposite corner of the Domain bordered by Hohaia and Huia Streets. "

Rhys Nolan has some memories of the place too

" Roger, my Dad was the Town Clerk of the Borough Council when the races were run. He was appointed the day the DC3 crashed on the Kaimais.
In the pic you have in post #231 of the coupes in a cloud of dust, you can see the Council offices (where locals booked their appointments for driver licence tests etc). Dad's office was right on the corner diagonally across from Cleaver motors. Next building following the race course was the little Public library, clad in fibrolite, then the Memorial Hall.
Ivan Toomey, one of the organising committee was on the council and perhaps Doug Turner too. Ken Gouk was the Mayor (Owner of Gouk Motors which were on Broadway. "

Kevin Hirst knows the town too

" I started my apprenticeship at Cowling Bros, Ford dealer's on Broadway in 1957 Maurice Cowling,of speedway fame was the bosses son who had just started primary school about the same time. Bradford truck was shop hack. parts guy had Brough Superior 100 commute bike. "

Putting all this on the thread they belong on.

The Regent Theatre on Broadway was not on the Track, but off to the side of the Tainui Street and Broadway right hander.
It shows in the background here in this Alan Boyle photo.
Note the reflection of the Morris sign in the window and the Memorial Hall the right hand end, mentioned by Rhys - his father was at the left hand end of the site, near the corner in the Council Building. In a couple of the photos the Library can be seen

The Regent Building today, not a Theatre anymore, and hidden behind a Tree [ fortunately a deciduous tree ]

More race photos to come - as well as modern photos and some entry lists and results. to make the story more complete.

Roger Dowding
10-03-2020, 05:42 AM
Entry Lists for some events and results from both years
[ have been on the Dunedin thread but belong here ].

Saloons Heat one and two - 1964 and yes G Harvey in the Holden #48 !

Sports cars including the McLoughlin Healey 4000.

Results - from Graham Woods archives.

23 May 1964

20 March 1965

Roger Dowding
10-06-2020, 05:37 AM
Some " Racing Cars "as in single seaters - these photos I acquired / borrowed from Keiron Guiness, a Matamata local and incidentally a neighbour of a nephew's family in Matamata - the nephew now lives in Brisbane - has done since a teenager and he is now close to 50.

Rhys and others have put details about the cars / drivers on the Dunedin thread - will add that here later
- watch the space ! -.

The windowed building in the background- I don't think it is still there !
See Rhys note about the building next post and his comments about the Single Seaters

" The front engine car is, I believe, the Lola FJ car, according to Keiron Spencer Black (Spinner), although I thought it was Histed at the time. I have no documents to confirm or deny.
I would say these photos of Keiron's are taken from a little further down Tui St from where Alan Boyle's ones were taken, the building opposite almost on the corner, was originally a car sales, according to Google Earth now the Pancake House.
Now I'll make a guess, I know Milan will correct me.
18 Dawson? 7 is a Lotus, maybe 4 is a Lola?
If Boyd is in the Lycoming, that list is 65, the previous year the results in post 230 [Dunedin thread ] say he was in the Valour. "

" that list " is this handwritten entry list for the Single seater ( and specials ? ) race - 1965

Oldfart
10-06-2020, 06:21 PM
The "windowed building in the background" according to street view Google earth is "The Pancake House" the windows on the same source with plywood where the glass is, Corner of Tui and Tainui.

Roger Dowding
10-07-2020, 02:42 AM
Newspaper or magazine article from the 1965 meeting Glen Ducey archives.
Head Photo - Johnny Riley #17 2.5 Lotus #17 Graeme Park Plymouth Coupe #92 spinning
Middle photos - D Jeffries Cooper Norton #6, Brian Innes Morris Cooper #85 and a Zephyr
Bottom Row - Jim Boyd Lycoming #41, Andy Buchanan 1.4 Cooper #8, Cortina GT spinning R Elmiger [ spelling ] Cortina GT #76

As posted on the Dunedin Thread another photo of Johnny Riley #17 - Graham Woods archives

The Front Engine Lola which both Rhys N and Ken H mention.
Rhys stated the following - I stand corrected by " Oldfart " and hope all is forgiven.

" The front engine car is, I believe, the Lola FJ car, according to Keiron Spencer Black (Spinner), although I thought it was Histed at the time. I have no documents to confirm or deny "

and Ken made the following comment about the car

" Spinner stated that the Lola he drove at Matamata was one that he got from Johnny Riley in a deal for a boat !
The car a (Lola Mk2 / Ford) was first brought into the country by John Histed so it could be ready for the 1962 NZGP at Ardmore meet.
The car was then sold to Ken Smith and then onto John Riley before reaching Spinner. "

Another photo of the Lola when Kenny Smith had it in 1963 - look at the number plates on the cars at the rear of the photo - is that the McRae " Masserari " on the left ? An Austin Healey 100S beside it - behind the Ken Smith car -Photo from Ken H archives - that stuff must have travelled a lot Ken ?? Cars have 1961-64 Number Plates.

Milan Fistonic
10-07-2020, 03:53 AM
Middle photos - D Jeffries Cooper Norton #6,

That should be Darryl Jeffares

Milan Fistonic
10-07-2020, 04:22 AM
Dauntsey Teagle in the Lola T2 in its sports car guise.

Oldfart
10-07-2020, 11:44 PM
Roger, your post #53, please correct as I did NOT "state that it was owned by John Histed". I said, as quoted by you in post #51 " The front engine car is, I believe, the Lola FJ car, according to Keiron Spencer Black (Spinner), although I thought it was Histed at the time. I have no documents to confirm or deny." That's different from stating something.

Roger Dowding
10-08-2020, 02:56 AM
Roger, your post #53, please correct as I did NOT "state that it was owned by John Histed". I said, as quoted by you in post #51 " The front engine car is, I believe, the Lola FJ car, according to Keiron Spencer Black (Spinner), although I thought it was Histed at the time. I have no documents to confirm or deny." That's different from stating something.

Sorry Oldfart - for any confusion - you did mention the name I was merely connecting your mention of the name with Ken's comment, which means that you were correct Histed did own [ or drive it ] I put the Christian name in Italics as you did not mention
" John " .
Consider the correction done, you can rest easy !!

Roger Dowding
10-08-2020, 03:57 AM
Daimler SP 250's an Austin Healey [ McLoughlin's AH 4000 ] and a TR3

The Oxton Daimler

Daimler again and a TR3

Daimlers and a Lotus 7 type car - probably a Seven as too soon for a replica / copy !

A couple of Specials

Kato

Mistral

Roger Dowding
10-08-2020, 04:10 AM
Fiat 1500 - Crusader and a Mini - 1964 event [ 1961 -64 plates ]

Ford Coupe -Garth Souness and a Humber 80 a Zephyr and the Fiat 1500 Crusader

Zephyr, Anglia, Humber 90 [Super Minx ? ] and a Mini

All at or near the Tui St Tainui St Right Hander by Cleaver Motors and the Council Building.
A good crowd too !

The area today a couple of photos
The corner

Looking North to Broadway

Further up Tainui St - nearer Broadway

Oldfart
10-09-2020, 08:47 AM
I would SUGGEST (same word could replace "state" in earlier post) that the photo with the Zephyr, 105E, Humber/Hillman could be Tamihana /Meura St corner. The plane tree plantings in many parts of town took place while we lived in the town, so now 55 odd years old.

Milan Fistonic
10-09-2020, 09:04 AM
The locals are trying to have the Phoenix Palms in Tamihana Street removed.

Roger Dowding
10-11-2020, 05:35 AM
Photos by Glen Kirk - he has given permission to " borrow " them
Glen also has some Monchrome photos of the " Original " Dragstrip at Meremere - a Cinder Strip close to the current Meremere Dragway.

The Saloon Grid in Hohaia Street.
Colin Lumsden - De Soto #63 Graeme Park Plymouth Coupe [partly obscured right ] and what is number ?*7 -Anglia or Humber 80 - I am unsure ?

Garth Souness, Morrari - on a trailer and on " Borrani " Wire Wheels - in 1964 Garth was running the Ford Coupe

Jim Boyd, Lycoming In the Pit area -
Placed 1st in the Sports Car Handicap Race against some of the " racing cars "
Also ran in the " Formula Libre Racing Cars and Sports Racing Cars " the " Festival Road Race " - Race #13 Placed 5th in the 15 Lap Race

Have inquired if Glen has any more photos - he travelled to the UK in 1966 and is unsure of any more !

Roger Dowding
10-12-2020, 12:36 AM
Oldfart query #1 Post in this thread :
Matamata Round the houses.
I have very fond memories of this, but don't seem to be able to find much.
Anyone?

Steve Holmes - reply question
How many years did they run it for Rhys? I don't think it was on the championship trail so didn't get the media coverage that other events did. There are a couple of great photos floating about of Red Dawson in his Willys coupe and Garth Souness in the Morrari from Matamata. **

Oldfart - reply
I believe it ran for 2 years. The old man was Town Clerk there. There were plenty of articles and photos in Motorman, Almost all the "names" took part with every class imaginable.

Copying the posts as a lot has come to light on the Races.

Would like to get hold of the Motorman articles - have the Results from Graham Woods archives and some programme details from Milan Fistonic, Keiron Guinness, Myles Hicks and photos from Scott Given Studio - through Ross Cammick, Alan Boyle's photos from 1964 and Glen Kirk's from 1965.

** Photos of The Willys and the Morrari now attached, the Morrari photo a static one from the Pits / Paddock.

Have contacted Hamilton Car Club in the hope of obtaining more information - that is how the Glen Kirk photos came to light.

Thanks Rhys for starting the thread, I had not seen it until recently, when I got information about the " Orchid Special " from its current owner in Switzerland who is trying to find all he can about that cars History -he referred to TRS Thread #847 - he, Richard, has a big archive but more is needed, especially on the early years of that car.

As a Post Script - The photo on the cover of the 1965 Programme show two " Racing Cars " going through a corner with the Farmers Building in the background and a big crowd.
Photo copied below - cropped from the Programme.

Farmers are still in Matamata on Tainui Street at Number 7 - between the Council Building to the South and Broadway to the North. Is it the same location ?

Roger Dowding
10-12-2020, 03:15 AM
I would SUGGEST (same word could replace "state" in earlier post) that the photo with the Zephyr, 105E, Humber/Hillman could be Tamihana /Meura St corner. The plane tree plantings in many parts of town took place while we lived in the town, so now 55 odd years old.

Thanks Rhys

Roger Dowding
11-24-2020, 07:01 AM
Oldfart mentioned the plane trees and commented
" we lived in the town, so now 55 odd years old. "

A photo of Matamata - Broadway in 1968 - should be familiar.

The Race turned away from this part of Broadway - heading West ..right hand turn out of Tamihana, I think.

Make that Tainui Street, right turn into Broadway..
See Milan's note - should have got out my Map..

Milan Fistonic
11-24-2020, 08:27 AM
Oldfart mentioned then plane trees and commented
" we lived in the town, so now 55 odd years old. "

A photo of Matamata - Broadway in 1968 - should be familiar.

The Race turned away from this part of Broadway - heading West ..right hand turn out of Tamihana, I think.

The circuit turned right from Broadway into Hohia Street then right into Tamihana, right into Meura Street, left into Tui Street, right into Tainui Street then right back onto Broadway.

Roger Dowding
11-24-2020, 08:33 PM
The circuit turned right from Broadway into Hohia Street then right into Tamihana, right into Meura Street, left into Tui Street, right into Tainui Street then right back onto Broadway.

Milan, thought I had my Tainui and Tamihana mixed up, and couldn't find my notes. Do have the map that you posted.
Cheers.

Now edited.

Roger Dowding
12-03-2020, 06:58 AM
Re-reading a copy of NZ Classic Driver from 2015 - Has the article on the Healey - Corvette. There is in Allan Dick's column on the Ian " Red " Dawson Willys - Corvette a photo of the said car running about fourth in the 1965 Matamata Races.
In the field are ;
Frank Radisich - Humber - Zephyr [ *** according to the programme the car had a 2553 cc motor which is Ford Zephyr size - not a Jaguar at either 3442 or 3781 cc ] - correction *** ,
an Anglia white with central stripe,
[ Allan Dick says possibly Jack Nazer - must look at entry lists - but Race number not visible ],
Rod Coppins Zephyr - Corvette - in white /blue stripe - Team Molyslip colours
Red Dawson Willys - Corvette.
Photo by Terry Marshall
Will scan and post the photo and will also see if I can get a better copy from Terry Marshall,asking if he has any more of the event -he should have.
Will be good to add to the thread.

Cars are taking a Right Hand corner - past what appears to be a very large house with a huge crowd in front.

Cover of the magazine.NZ CD #63 Nov-Dec 2015

Now to scan the image and contact TM ..

Roger Dowding
12-20-2020, 04:00 AM
The J C Histed Lola - the front engined car mentioned in this thread appears in the 1963 Shell Book of new Zealand Motor Racing.
I recently was given a copy of the First Edition of these publications.
Now have 1963 - 64 - 65 - 66, and 1967 [ Two copies of 1967].
Does any one know if it was published after 1967 ??.

Milan Fistonic
12-20-2020, 08:59 AM
The J C Histed Lola - the front engined car mentioned in this thread appears in the 1963 Shell Book of new Zealand Motor Racing.
I recently was given a copy of the First Edition of these publications.
Now have 1963 - 64 - 65 - 66, and 1967 [ Two copies of 1967].
Does any one know if it was published after 1967 ??.

There were ten Greenslade and Sarginson annuals finishing in 1972. In 1973 there was another annual called New Zealand's Competition Yearbook edited by Robin Curtis. There have been various annuals published since that time.

Roger Dowding
12-21-2020, 06:56 AM
There were ten Greenslade and Sarginson annuals finishing in 1972. In 1973 there was another annual called New Zealand's Competition Yearbook edited by Robin Curtis. There have been various annuals published since that time.

Brilliant, Thanks Milan, only have to get 1968 - 1972. I think I have the 1973 Competition Yearbook. *** No I don't see edit

Must check in here and the boxes .. *** it is not - the book with the blank spine - faded away is the 1987 Dunlop Book of NZ Motor Sport.

khyndart in CA
12-23-2020, 09:23 AM
Roger,
Although we live thousands of miles apart it seems that we have a lot of similar tastes in reading material !
(Omokoroa NZ to Los Olivos, CA. 6,454 mile Distance )`

Cheers,
Ken H

Roger Dowding
12-24-2020, 12:01 AM
Roger,
Although we live thousands of miles apart it seems that we have a lot of similar tastes in reading material !
(Omokoroa NZ to Los Olivos, CA. 6,454 mile Distance )`

Cheers,
Ken H

Indeed Ken , indeed a few are the same and a few I would like..

Take care all you Guys on TRS and have a great Christmas and New Year, Rollon 2021 - it has got to get better.

and remember " those Boys in Blue will be watching You ..

Cheers from Omokoroa.. from the little guy looking from the car - aged about 4 here..My Dad at the drivers door

Picture features in the latest Stephen Barnett book " Life with Cars " just released..

Roger

Roger Dowding
01-06-2021, 11:55 PM
Andy Buchanan and Bill Thomasen - [ both in Brabhams ?] ** Thomasen in a Cooper Buchanan in a Brabham 1.5 litre - the 1964 event.
They came Second and First in one of the Heat Races that day - Magazine report of results previously posted.

These two were often close together as seen at Pukekohe in 1965 .. Bill in front this time
- from a magazine " Motorman " ? " possibly.

Photographers not detailed - both from Graham Woods archives.

The results - to save scrolling back over the thread.

Results say Thomasen in a Cooper - which is correct ??

Milan Fistonic
01-07-2021, 02:18 AM
You will note from the caption that the photo of Thomasen in the Brabham is from Pukekohe not Matamata. It was from the December 12 1964 meeting at Pukekohe. In the other photo from Matamata in May 1964 he is in a Cooper.

Roger Dowding
01-07-2021, 06:18 AM
You will note from the caption that the photo of Thomasen in the Brabham is from Pukekohe not Matamata. It was from the December 12 1964 meeting at Pukekohe. In the other photo from Matamata in May 1964 he is in a Cooper.

Thanks Milan, knew the second photo was Pukekohe, the Matamata image cars were unnamed, I assumed the same cars as the Puke photo. Good to know the Puke meeting was Dec 1964 - can correct my archive.
Do you have any entry list for 1964 ?, I only have an image of the cover of the programme.
Cheers

Roger

Roger Dowding
09-17-2021, 01:12 AM
This photo was posted by Spgeti on the HVRA " Historic Vintage Racing " Fb page - a collection of photos for Rod Coppins and the Zephyr Corvette in its Team Molyslip colours. - Photographer not stated.
[I]It looks like Matamata !, but the Church does not look the same as the next photo/I].

The Start - Ian " Red " Dawson Willys Corvette, Rod Coppins Zephyr Corvette, and a Humber.

Must be the start of a different race to this one - under the Bardahl Banner by the Church. A different Church, but I understand that the start was moved
[ posted before ].

Oldfart
09-17-2021, 02:34 AM
Yes, the one with the more obvious Bardhal banner shows the Anglican Church in the background, almost on the corner of Broadway. This gave a longer run before the first corner than the previous start which was closer to where the Church of the Holy Angels (Catholic) is now.

Roger Dowding
09-29-2021, 08:26 AM
Yes, the one with the more obvious Bardhal banner shows the Anglican Church in the background, almost on the corner of Broadway. This gave a longer run before the first corner than the previous start which was closer to where the Church of the Holy Angels (Catholic) is now.

Rhys, thought you would know,
Thanks, was back in the Village last weekend, past Hohaia Street, down Broadway and a few other places, looking for food and wine not cars ..
Have found a photo of a Standard 10 with a Ford 1500 motor and transmission from those days, Mike Miers did Waharoa, Kerepehi and other meetings around the Waikato - even took the car to Levin..

This from Kerepehi .. called Hybrid, has a whole new connotation in this modern PC world .. Motor from one Maker, Car from another, or vice versu .. simple !!

Thanks to Jenny Lucey and husband Rob for the photo !!

Guessing Singer right, Simca Left and a mini behind - a mixed field..

Roger Dowding
07-19-2022, 05:49 AM
Another photo from Matamata has surfaced - John Larry Lawton, a photographer who has posted photos of many events found this one.
I have put 1965 on the photo - but will check in entry lists etc. The Jennings Fiat, should be a good clue.
It is 1965 and is part of a series of photos by John, known as Larry, Lawton.
Will upload those photos soon.
Some are not good photos as a few spectators head have got in the way, but more from the event.
Attached to the posting of them are some details which I will include.

A mixed Saloon field, Anglia in front -the Jennings Fiat in the haybales a Chev ? Coupe and another Coupe -is it an older Ford like Garth Souness ran.

This photo was posted by Allan Dick in a story about Fastback and other Anglia's in the 1960's

The Anglia- of Jack Nazer - is this the same car and is this Matamata -** can't quite decipher the Street sign - look at the crowd..
Race number on the window not on the door like the top photo, and also the stripes.

Thanks to " Oldfart " for starting the thread with a question. ??
Now have a lot of information on the two events in 1964 and 1965.

Roger Dowding
07-21-2022, 04:15 AM
Photos from J L Lawton's vast archives as mentioned in the previous post.

All from 1965. the 20th March event, and the Last One.

A pair of Minis led by Tony Gilbertson, not sure of 3rd and 4th cars.

Humber Zephyr * [ see note ] of Frank Radisich leads a mixed bunch in including the Zephyr Corvette and the Morrari, an Anglia and Chev Coupe in the middle

Humbers of Ross McCallum and G Harvey [ Graeme Harvey ? - thought he had a Holden that raced there ? ]

Anglia of Warren Reid - where is he heading ? he has spun !! - and Mini T Parker

The Big Boys,
Colin Lumsden De Soto, Jennings in the 6 litre Fiat, Chev Coupe and Garth Souness in the Morrari - Corvette powered
- in 1964 Garth ran the early 1930's Ford Coupe - with Chev OHV V8 power.

The 1965 Programme Cover.

Looking for the entry lists for many of the races - especially Saloons,- have the Sports Cars and a handwritten list from the programme as the page Event - race 13 was blank apart from listing the name of the Race - The Festival Feature race for " Formula Libre Racing Cars and Sports Racing Cars ".

* Note ; Had Humber Jaguar in the notes but according to the entry list the Radisich Humber 80 had a cc rating of 2553 - the size of a Mark 2 and Mark 3 Zephyr engine. The Humber was Zephyr powered prior to the Jaguar Motor.

Oldfart
07-23-2022, 08:16 AM
From distant memory, the Feature Race entry was made on the day from the fastest cars from previous races, and those that were still running, hat being sorted by the organisers..

Oldfart
07-23-2022, 08:52 AM
Post #80, top photo is coming off Broadway. The Anglican Church Hall visible, and the house to the right was the one in which the Minister lived. Richards was the surname, his son in my 5th form class at the time of this pic.
The lower photo certainly looks like Matamata, and maybe the sign says Hohaia St?, however it looks as though he is either lining up for a left hand turn or just exiting, and the only left was from Meura onto Tui, and Hohaia isn't close.
From another post, Farmers was where the motorcycle dealer (Phils) is now. Corner of Tainui and Tui Streets.

Roger Dowding
08-11-2022, 04:40 AM
Another photo has emerged from Matamata 1965. A Terry Marshall photo - this seems to be a copy of a copy.

Rod Coppins in the Team Molyslip colours - the Zephyr Corvette - with stack pipes, being chased by Brian Innes in his Morris Cooper S a 1275/1293 cc machine.

Another photo of the Brian Innes Cooper S and a Zephyr - light colour but is it the Zephyr Corvette.??
The wheels look right, and in one race Innes beat Rod Coppins coming third to Coppins 4th place.

- this from a montage of photos that appeared in a Newspaper at the time - a double page spread.

Results from the Days Racing - posted before. Brian Innes gets a couple of mentions ;

Roger Dowding
11-09-2022, 01:50 AM
A few more of J L Lawtons pictures from Matamata 1965.

I inadvertently lost some of the details and do not have the entry lists for Races 3 and 4 which should be of the Saloon Allcomers 1000 cc to 2100 cc. Have the 0 - 1000 Race 1, and 2100 and over Race 6

Chevrolet in the bales - hard to see.

Jim Boyd, Lycoming leading a single seater, could be the " Formula Libre Racing and Sports Car race - Race 5, or a later event.

Humber 80 #98 - or is it a Hillman Minx ?

Rod Coppins Zephyr Corvette, leads Brian Innes - Mini Cooper S..

Does anyone have the Races 3 and 4 Entry Lists that they could post here or PM with details,

Cheers

Roger

Another 3 photos to come from this set..

Roger Dowding
11-09-2022, 01:59 AM
Humber 80 - a 3 wheeler and a 44 gallon drum takes a hit !!. Can't quite read the Race Number.

This looks like a full view of the same photo !! complete with spectator heads

Anglia - Jack Nazer ? ahead of Garth Souness in the Morrari [ spelling ]

Frank Radisich was entered in his Humber 80 -Zephyr Race #90 at 2553 cc - before it became the Humber - Jaguar..

That is all for the moment.
Will see if I can find the details.

Thanks to " Oldfart " for asking the question and starting this thread..

Roger Dowding
11-11-2022, 05:25 AM
How many years did they run it for Rhys? I don't think it was on the championship trail so didn't get the media coverage that other events did. There are a couple of great photos floating about of Red Dawson in his Willys coupe and Garth Souness in the Morrari from Matamata.

" I believe it ran for 2 years. The old man was Town Clerk there. There were plenty of articles and photos in Motorman, Almost all the "names" took part with every class imaginable. "

Continuing the story. I noted that some photos of Matamata had appeared on others thread some time ago.

At the risk of " repeating " the photos, thought I would bring a couple together that came from Milan Fistonic vast collection.
One from 1965 and one more recent.
The Events were as is now well known held in 1964 and 1965 ..

Milan notes with the photo ;- as written in 2016 on the Rhys Nolan photos thread ..
" This is from 1965 and was taken at the corner of Tamihana and Rata Streets. "

" John Richards in the locally built Lotus 15 replica followed by Bill Caldwell's Lola which is being monstered by Donelly's HWM- Thunderbird.

Well if all the Chev-engined cars were powered by Corvettes then the Ford engine must have been a Thunderbird! "

Tui - Yeah Right ..

Was Donnelly trying to merge #14 with #114 .. The HWM was looking pretty scruffy even before this " Accident " ..

The more recent photo - 2016 Matamata - the same location. Same house in the background, has had some shutters added to the windows ..

jellywrestler
11-15-2022, 10:51 AM
nothing to do with Matamata just like rogers after shot here. I picked up some original late 20's early 30's piccies a few weeks back, here's Kilbirnie speedway and I reckoned I could find the old houses, not even three minutes work as I knew where the speedway was, pretty cool that sort of thing to play with

Roger Dowding
01-10-2023, 04:44 AM
This image from Milan Fistonic vast archives was on the Morrari thread -

The Motorman report on the event with the results and a photo of two young men who had written a Free Plug for Motorman in the ice on the roof of a Morris Minor - the two lads are in the bottom picture;

A TRS member had asked for the image to be posted .. go to the Morrari thread to find out more.

Greg Stokes
01-16-2023, 12:42 PM
Fantastic to see the Morarri in these pics

Oldfart
01-17-2023, 09:22 AM
Fantastic to see the Morarri in these pics

It was even more fantastic to see it in person just around the corner from home !
I distinctly remember the frost in the "Motorman" post too. Thankfully being just round the corner meant we could go home between first getting there at the crack of dawn and first practice to get warm.
Another thing that happened while we were at home was that a certain road going D type was looking for a place to park, so I suggested he park in our garage. The only time my family will have one in our garage :)

jellywrestler
03-01-2023, 12:08 AM
does anyone know anything about car 26 in the second piccie here please? I beleive it had an Edward Turner designed engine , he also designed the triumph speed twin and Ariel Square Four

Milan Fistonic
03-01-2023, 03:04 AM
does anyone know anything about car 26 in the second piccie here please? I beleive it had an Edward Turner designed engine , he also designed the triumph speed twin and Ariel Square Four

Car 26 is B. Merrett's Daimler SP250, powered by a 2.5-litre V8 designed by Edward Turner. The car was released in 1959 and was originally to called the Daimler Dart but Chrysler objected to them using that name so it was changed to SP250.

jellywrestler
03-01-2023, 07:56 AM
Car 26 is B. Merrett's Daimler SP250, powered by a 2.5-litre V8 designed by Edward Turner. The car was released in 1959 and was originally to called the Daimler Dart but Chrysler objected to them using that name so it was changed to SP250.

I was talking to the guy wh owns and races in in chch at the weekend, he's had it 35 years.

Trevor Sheffield
03-02-2023, 01:57 AM
I was talking to the guy wh owns and races in in chch at the weekend, he's had it 35 years.

The red car was the latest imported and was displayed by the agents as quite special, having chrome wire wheels. It was purchased as a replacement for the car restored and raced by Steve and David Oxton being written off. Steve's head mechanic looked after the car, which strangely had a significant advantage in respect of performance, much to Steve's annoyance.

A batch of SP250's became imported as a result of the agent's desire to use up import license on hand with there being a delay in the delivery of saloon models.

The V8 engine proved troublesome in the SP250 due to a significant defect.. The oil-way in the crankshaft, opened up in diameter at each crank pin, thus creating a chamber, which became blocked with lead, deposited due to this becoming what amounts to a centrifugal filter. It was presumed that the saloon models with automatic transmission did not suffer due to the engines running at higher average RPM and therefore temperature.

Roger Dowding
03-22-2023, 05:31 AM
The Man in the middle Dene Hollier in the Lotus is smiling before the start.

Front row of the grid with John(ny) Riley Lotus Climax, Dene Hollier Lotus and Graeme Lawrence Brabham Twincam [ Ford ]. photo from Allan Dick - Classic Autonews archives.

Riley won both the Festival Road Race - the feature race and the Formula Libre Race.
In the latter race they finished Riley, Hollier, Lawrence - as they are in the picture

Desard
08-20-2023, 11:49 PM
The Standard of Mike Miers is an 8 no back door aand no opening boot I owned the car from 1962-1964 the 800cc motor replaced with 950cc I raced it at the first race meeting at Pukekohe and the 64 round the houses at matamata Waikato time had photo of car cornering with inside front wheel 6-8inches of ground. In about May or June I was at a dance at The Starlight ballroom in Hamilton and some one ran into side of car, the insurance paid out and gave me the car and that's when Mike bought the car he got an engine from an engine builder from Kumue named Ted Thompson we used to go up there quite often very cleaver man as he was very deaf but could he tune a motor, I helped Mike fit motor Ted had done some work on it so it was very quick in its day. Mike won his class in a lot of hill climbs etc.

Oldfart
08-21-2023, 12:00 PM
Desard, I am curious, I can find no record of Standard ever having made the Standard 8 with no rear doors. Lack of a bootlid yes. Can you please confirm? Or was it that the rear doors had been modified to not open?

Roger Dowding
08-22-2023, 03:51 AM
Desard, I am curious, I can find no record of Standard ever having made the Standard 8 with no rear doors. Lack of a bootlid yes. Can you please confirm? Or was it that the rear doors had been modified to not open?

Oldfart,

This photo from Jenny Lucey archives is of the Mike Miers [ Meir ] Standard 8 at Waharoa Sprints in the early 1960's .. Bit hard to tell from the quality of the photo..

Desard
08-22-2023, 06:35 AM
Yes you are correct must be my grey hair thanks for the correct details. The day I raced at Puke near the end of back straight an Austin A90 or A110 come passed me on its roof.

Roger Dowding
08-23-2023, 05:46 AM
Yes you are correct must be my grey hair thanks for the correct details. The day I raced at Puke near the end of back straight an Austin A90 or A110 come passed me on its roof.

Desard,

sent you a private message - through the - Private Message function on your profile on TRS,
Cheers
Roger

Oldfart
08-23-2023, 06:30 AM
Roger Dowding, I had seen the pic before, but was curious about the comment of no rear doors, and how it was achieved.

Roger Dowding
08-24-2023, 05:09 AM
Roger Dowding, I had seen the pic before, but was curious about the comment of no rear doors, and how it was achieved.

Rhys, I had posted the photo on the thread about Grasstrack racing in the Waikato.. car seems to have backdoors, but maybe welded shut like some cars were in the day..
Seems " Desard " was confused though from a comment.
Would like to see more of the car, photos that is !!.

Cheers

Interestingly
My cousin when in the UK late 1960;s had the luxury Standard, from the 8 and 10 range - the Pennant with " Standrive ", some very basic type of semi-automatic transmission. Said it wasn't that good - the transmission, later he got a Triumph Herald,

Oldfart
08-24-2023, 01:32 PM
My first car in 1966 was a Standard 8, later sold in 1967 to a person in Hamilton who repowered it with a Herald unit. Then I built one for the VCC saloon class that I tried to get going.75170 Photo Keith Humphreys.