PDA

View Full Version : Book Review - Petrolheads In Sheds

Steve Holmes
11-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Bit of blatant self-promotion here. This is my latest book, called Petrolheads In Sheds. It goes on sale today! Petrolheads In Sheds is a Kiwiana coffee table style book, in which I travelled around New Zealand visiting motoring enthusiasts of all types, and taking photos of the insides of their garages at their car, motorbike, and automobilia collections.

The book includes everything from veteran, vintage, classic, and muscle cars, race cars, motorbikes, and various other fascinating oddities, including a couple of aeroplanes, and even a Bren-gun carrier! There are 28 collections in the book.

It was an incredibly enjoyable project to work on, and I met some amazing people. Its quite incredible whats out there in the backyards and sheds around little old New Zealand.

The book is 184 pages, and retails at just under $40,00. Its available from all good book shops.

My thanks also to The Roaring Season members who helped with finding suitable candidates for the book. Thanks guys!

I'll post a few images from the book.

Steve Holmes
11-02-2012, 03:56 AM
This is one of the storage sheds at the Southward Car Museum. I was allowed to go through these buildings, which aren't normally open to the public. These are all cars that have been in the collection for years, and are awaiting restoration.

The guy with these Holdens owns whats believed to be the largest private Holden collection in NZ. He has everything from an FJ through to the latest Commodore. Whats interesting is that there are almost no high end models in the collection, its all the bread and butter stuff that used to be such a common site on NZ and Australian roads nobody ever took any notice. These days, its these models that are the hardest to find.

This is a photo inside a fully functioning workshop. Most days, this place has late model Japanese econo-boxes getting work done on them, but the hot rods, vintage vehicles, all the old tin signs and classic service station paraphenalia are permanent fixtures.

Steve Holmes
11-02-2012, 04:02 AM
How many people have a Harvard in their shed? Amazing!

This is a 1000cc Militaire cycle-car. Its part motorbike, part car. It has a reverse gear, and when reverse is engaged, two additional trailer wheels drop down for stability.

Note the partially restored Sidchrome Mustang in the background here.

Steve Holmes
11-02-2012, 04:13 AM
Some of the characters from the book.

This is Jim. Thats his Bren-gun carrier. It lives in one of his sheds, just like a Toyota Camry would live in someone elses shed. Its powered by a flathead Ford V8.

This is Francis. He runs a fully functioning museum from his home and out-buildings.

This is Peter. he also runs a museum from his home. It contains over 100 motorbikes, displayed in a large shed containing two levels. He owns more than 300 bikes in total.

rogered
11-02-2012, 04:29 AM
You need to advise "Santa" this is avalible.

Steve Holmes
11-02-2012, 04:31 AM
Race cars. Several of the collections had race cars in them, here are a few:

Connaught A5

Begg 650. The Begg is on loan to the Hayes family. They run a large department type store in Invercargill, with most of the floor space taken up by the Hammer Hardware outlet they own. In among their collection are numerous interesting motorbikes, both road and racing. Neville Hayes and his late father Norman were good friends with Burt Munro, and purchased much of Munro's collection of bikes and parts not long before he died, including his heavily modified 1920 Indian Scout, and 1936 Velocette. They also own one of the two streamliners created for The Worlds Fastest Indian movie. All of the collection can be viewed when visiting E. Hayes & Sons, in Invercargill.

Brabham BT4, ex-Denny Hulme. The Brabham is part of the impressive Rush family collection, which can be viewed by appointment.

bry3500
11-02-2012, 06:44 AM
looks great Steve - Best of luck with the launch!!

John H
11-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Race cars. Several of the collections had race cars in them, here are a few:

Connaught A5

Begg 650. The Begg is on loan to the Hayes family. They run a large department type store in Invercargill, with most of the floor space taken up by the Hammer Hardware outlet they own. In among their collection are numerous interesting motorbikes, both road and racing. Neville Hayes and his late father Norman were good friends with Burt Munro, and purchased much of Munro's collection of bikes and parts not long before he died, including his heavily modified 1920 Indian Scout, and 1936 Velocette. They also own one of the two streamliners created for The Worlds Fastest Indian movie. All of the collection can be viewed when visiting E. Hayes & Sons, in Invercargill.

Brabham BT4, ex-Denny Hulme. The Brabham is part of the impressive Rush family collection, which can be viewed by appointment.

This is the same car? Pukekohe 1962-63? Wet practice day

hoco
11-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Thanks Steve for this amazing book, I walked into PaperPlus to purchase my Lotto tickets this evening and the shop assistant said you better have a look at this book, you happen to be in it. Congrats on a job well done. Kerry.

David McKinney
11-02-2012, 12:46 PM
This is the same car? Pukekohe 1962-63? Wet practice day
Brabham used one BT4 in the 1963 NZ internationals and another in the Australian races. I believe the Rush car is the Australian one

I think the car in your picture is Hulme's 1964 mount so, yes, the same car

Steve Holmes
11-03-2012, 03:35 AM
Thanks Steve for this amazing book, I walked into PaperPlus to purchase my Lotto tickets this evening and the shop assistant said you better have a look at this book, you happen to be in it. Congrats on a job well done. Kerry.

Kerry, thanks so much for the kind words. It was great to meet you, your collection is truly fascinating. The book was so much fun to compile, and I met some really amazing people. Thanks again for allowing me to include you in it.

Shano
11-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Looks terrific Steve. Isn't meeting amazing people the true fun of doing a project like this?

TonyG
11-04-2012, 10:29 PM
What are the details of the bok Steve, as in ISBN number and Distributor so I can see if I can track it down over here.

Michael Clark
11-04-2012, 11:59 PM
I have a copy and it is a credit to you Steve

Oldfart
11-05-2012, 01:47 AM
ISBN number is 978-1-86950-988-0

Steve Holmes
11-05-2012, 02:56 AM
Hey you guys, thanks so much for all the kind words, I really appreciate it.

TonyG
11-05-2012, 08:27 AM
ISBN number is 978-1-86950-988-0

Cool thank you.
Now I can go and ask Santa for xmas.

Yeah yeah na
11-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Had a text from a mate of mine, Chris, from Danniverke today. He said to buy a copy of your book as he's in it, thanks Steve, the man thinks he's more of a superstar now!!!!! Great book, it'll maintain pride of place on my coffee table for a while.....

Steve Holmes
11-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Yeah Chris is a cool guy, I enjoyed meeting him. That Willys coupe of his used to be an old Allcomer racer back in the 60s, raced by Barry Pointon.

Steve Holmes
11-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Few more pics form the book.

How cool is this, a car showroom in your backyard! This could be 1975, full of XU-1 and L34 Toranas, and Mini Coopers. Amazing!

This is the famous Sidchrome Mustang, which was well into a full restoration when I visited owner George. I was really excited to see this car for the first time in many years.

The book was all about the garages and collections owned by Kiwis, but there was one Kiwi no longer living in NZ. Tony Garmey runs Horizon Racing And Performance in Maple Valley, Washington, where he restores, race prepares and races various amazing historic cars for their owners. In amongst the cars in Tonys beautiful workshop is the one and only Pete Brock designed Triumph TR 250K. Look for an article on this car on The Roaring Season in the coming weeks. Tony put me in touch with its creator, Kas Kastner.

Rod Grimwood
11-07-2012, 05:12 AM
Got mine today, awesome Steve. Bet you found it hard work looking at all those treasures. You were not far from home at one stage, pity you did not call in, but then may be you knew better.

Yeah yeah na
11-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Yeah Chris is a cool guy, I enjoyed meeting him. That Willys coupe of his used to be an old Allcomer racer back in the 60s, raced by Barry Pointon.
Yeah, cool car, cool guy. Chris and I have shared many a beer mucking about with that beast....

fullnoise68
11-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Top book Steve, shame you didn`t know about Barrys` collection of cars and classic motorbikes, as that wouldn`t have looked out of place.

Steve Holmes
11-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks Steve, I could have probably filled two or three books by the time I'd finished, I was given so many tips while travelling around of other interesting places, its really amazing whats around!

Steve Holmes
11-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Got mine today, awesome Steve. Bet you found it hard work looking at all those treasures. You were not far from home at one stage, pity you did not call in, but then may be you knew better.

Thanks Rod, I didn't know that I was close to your place at one point. I sure covered some miles!

Michael Clark
11-13-2012, 10:13 AM
I took my copy to Manfeild hoping to get an autograph from the author...

Steve Holmes
11-13-2012, 10:05 PM
No I wasn't there Michael, but you probably don't want my signature anyway, I'm not very interesting!

Kiwiboss
11-13-2012, 10:18 PM
I took my copy to Manfeild hoping to get an autograph from the author...

The author was too busy building fences for his new "Lambies" apparantly? i had that many people asking after him that i had to start signing on his behalf, LOL

Dale M

Steve Holmes
11-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Ha ha ha, the authors signature is also really easy to forge.

Steve Holmes
11-19-2012, 02:53 AM
Amazingly, this is part of a fully functioning workshop. Its amazing, like a time-warp and just loaded with old service station automobilia and old cars.

One of two streamliner bodies made for The Worlds Fastest Indian. This is on display at Hammer Hardware in Invercargill, owned by the Hayes family. The late Norman Hayes and his son Neville were good friends with Burt Munro, and bought much of Munro's collection not long before he died, including his famous 1920 Indian Scout, and 1936 Velocette, both of which are displayed with the streamliner body.

This is what greets you when you open the hood on a 1924 Doble Steam Car. Only 11 of these cars exist, two are owned by Jay Leno. The owner of this car has visited Jay's collection and driven one of his Doble's around LA. Its an exclusive club. When new, three Rolls-Royces could be purchased for what it cost to buy a Doble Steam Car.

kiwi285
11-19-2012, 03:58 AM
My copy of the book arrived on Friday and I have spent some time going through it. Some great stories and photos in there Steve - we are all envious of you being able to make such visits.

There are some great looking cars in there and hopefully some of them will make it back on track in the near future.

A week or so ago I was privileged to be able to view a couple of cars recently imported into NZ. There was a Ford GT40 Mk I (Continuation model), a McLaren M10B and a Chevron B24 (BDG). All are due to hit the track hopefully next year.

Steve Holmes
11-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Thanks for that Mike.

CUSTAXIE50
12-01-2012, 10:55 AM
That photo (Largest private holden collection in nz) i have worked on most of the cars that are in that shed .The plan is to get one of each that was made ,a nice fj ute would look just the part in this big shed .Dont know about the number plates in the photos .

Powder
12-02-2012, 02:29 AM
Dont know about the number plates in the photos .

Do you mean publishing number plates can lead to a car being stolen?
The NZTA have tightened up the rules around accessing the information on the Motor Vehicle Register. You can also increase your security further by revoking access to your information here:
https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/PersonalInfoAccess/entry.aspx

CUSTAXIE50
12-02-2012, 04:06 AM
Yes thats right ,i know of the new rules that are out there.they still put the information out.also word gets out about places like this ,and sometimes you have some who ask to have a look at the cars that you do have,and you have parts go missing this has been the case with this shed.

Steve Holmes
12-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Do you mean publishing number plates can lead to a car being stolen?
The NZTA have tightened up the rules around accessing the information on the Motor Vehicle Register. You can also increase your security further by revoking access to your information here:
https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transactions/PersonalInfoAccess/entry.aspx

Yep, absolutely right. But every place I visited I asked the owner if they wanted their licence plates photoshopped out. Most were happy to leave them in. Also, I only used the owners first name, unless asked specifically to include their last name. Fact is, many of these cars are well know, as are their owners, and they appear regularly in various magazines along with their owners names.

CUSTAXIE50
12-03-2012, 06:05 AM
yes i understand that steve,with a place like this you have to put in good security to stop parts etc walking out the door.We think we know of someone who has been doing this. The show room shed that you saw, well a new shed is going up now next to it all most the same size and when that is fill ,he will just put one next to that and on it will go the place is going to be very big in the end.He is going to have a look at horopito motors and see what could be there ,he may just take one of his big trucks up and fill it up thats the way he is.

markson
12-17-2012, 04:19 PM
I have my copy under the tree Steve ,waiting for Christmas day

Steve Holmes
12-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Are you 100% sure thats what it is? Someone might be playing a trick on you. It might actually be socks and undies packaged to appear like a book!

Powder
12-18-2012, 01:17 AM
Are you 100% sure thats what it is? Someone might be playing a trick on you. It might actually be socks and undies packaged to appear like a book!

Let's hope Markson doesn't ask you to autograph his undies then.

markson
12-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi Steve I know its the book, I brought it myself ,from Paper Plus

Steve Holmes
12-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Thats the safest thing to do, just so you know what you're getting.

rogered
12-19-2012, 03:12 AM

:) :)

kiwi285
12-20-2012, 12:19 AM

Sensible man - the best way to ensure that you get what you want.

markson
12-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Only 4 more days to go, and I can have a look at my book Steve.

faminz
12-22-2012, 02:52 AM
fck... now I have to buy another book for Christmas!!!!

and I only just snuck through one on WW2 plane cockpits deliciously photographed in full colour in the smithsonian collection!!

damn you Steve.....

ps: I have a few more DVD's for you.... heh

darren
12-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Awesome collection. I'm jealous!!!

markson
12-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Hi Darren I wouldn't be jealous!!!You can only do justice to one thing at a time,some people do funny things in search of acceptance,14657
My motto is (If you cannot achieve great things,do small things great ) Markson

faminz
12-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Is that the build it yourself part works magazine Aston?

markson
12-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Hi faminz Yes it is .It is a terrific model, and a great project to build.Pleasure per $$$ beats the real thing

Markson

markson
12-23-2012, 06:52 PM
One more night to go!!!. Markson

John McKechnie
12-23-2012, 07:09 PM
As a motor trimmer of 38 years, I would love to see the work done on the inside-detail of seats, door panels etc-any chance of a close up please?

markson
12-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Hi John People around the world have undertaken some amazing modes to this model, building them up to an amazing standard,as a model there are some things that are just not correct, like the seat that are just a black plastic molding, so some people, including myself have covered the seats in leather, and things like the dash top and door panels,fitted carpet and hood lining 14666

Here is a photo of what I am doing with my seats at the present Regards Markson

Bruce302
12-23-2012, 10:19 PM
I'd like to see hand stitched leather (full grain) in 1:43 scale. Who's up for the challenge ?

Hi John People around the world have undertaken some amazing modes to this model, building them up to an amazing standard,as a model there are some things that are just not correct, like the seat that are just a black plastic molding, so some people, including myself have covered the seats in leather, and things like the dash top and door panels,fitted carpet and hood lining 14666

Here is a photo of what I am doing with my seats at the present Regards Markson

John McKechnie
12-23-2012, 10:27 PM
You are so lucky you can turn the car over to fit the hood lining, I could be so lucky!!!

markson
12-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Hi Bruce The model 1:8 scale, 2 ft long and its weight is about 9 KGS Markson

markson
12-23-2012, 11:16 PM
John MC. Do you have the real thing??? Markson

John McKechnie
12-24-2012, 01:54 AM
I have done hood linings on the real thing.Generally hood linings that glue to roofs require upside down work. I have many real things in my workshop, but no Astons.

Bruce302
12-24-2012, 02:26 AM
That looks very impressive, nice work. One of my favorite cars since seeing James Bond movies.
Is that a "Superleggera" batch on the bonnet ?

Hi Bruce The model 1:8 scale, 2 ft long and its weight is about 9 KGS Markson

markson
12-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Hi Bruce Yes it is the "Superleggera" badge on the bonnet. Markson

GeebeeNZ
12-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Happiness is when your family listens to your Christmas present suggestions and buys you a book like Petrolheads in Sheds. Thanks Steve for a great reminder of the interesting variety of cars that are hiding away in this little country.
Merry Christmas to you all
Graeme

markson
12-24-2012, 08:27 PM
I agree with you GeebeeNZ ,but just to be sure I brought my own and put it under the tree
I have just had a quick flick through before I start kitchen duties ,It looks like a great book Steve. Graham

Murray Maunder
12-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Didn't even see this coming for Christmas. One of those rare moments when my ex gets it right!

RGM
12-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Great book steve I sugested to santa I would like one and I must have been good and just finished reading it.
Reghards
RGM

markson
12-25-2012, 09:51 AM

tsillay
01-07-2013, 04:48 AM
Picked your book up over the break Steve. Great Reading, well done again!

Tim