PDA

View Full Version : Photos: The Terry Marshall Collection

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 12:19 AM

I’ve been working with New Zealand motorsport photographer Terry Marshall for probably ten years or more. It was through putting together a historical piece for a magazine we first made contact, and I was completely amazed by the quality and creativity of Terrys work. He manages to capture the very best from a race car at speed, bringing alive the magic of the moment, and holding it forever. He also somehow manages to capture the human nature of the sport, the emotional highs and lows that come with it.

Terry is incredibly dedicated, having travelled the length and breadth of the country every season to snap, forever on film, the best moments in New Zealand motorsport. He began motorsport photography at the 1964 New Zealand Grand Prix, at Pukekohe. “It was the year Bruce McLaren won in the slimline Cooper”, he relates, “I remember I had somehow got to the front of the car before Bruce got out. I still have the blurry unusable negative to prove it”.

The enthusiasm is still there, and TM still travels to capture those moments. Over the years his work has appeared in numerous publications, both magazines and books, and Looking Back, The Motorsport Photography Of Terry Marshall combines all his personal favourite photos in a beautiful hardback.

Terrys work is familiar to many NZ and Australian motorsport enthusiasts, in no small part thanks to the fact he took the time to archive his collection so specific images from specific events can be plucked out as required at a moments notice. To be able to do this plays a huge role in the shape an article takes, as the text needs to intertwine with the images to fully bring a story across in the best possible way. This, combined with the quality of his work, means Terrys photography gets wide-spread coverage.

TM has a passion for single seaters, first and foremost, be it Tasman cars, F5000, Formula Pacific/Atlantic, or Formula Toyota, he loves the cut and thrust of the best drivers of the era performing in the best cars. And some of his most spectacular work is from his dedication for capturing these machines as they’re manhandled to the very edge of their capabilities.

Motorsport is about emotion, and Terry is one of the very best at capturing that emotion, and freeze-framing it forever.

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 12:27 AM
I should confess, that one of my favourite Terry Marshall photos wasn't actually taken by Terry himself. The above posted photo was taken by a colleague, using Terrys spare camera, to capture him leaning out over the track as Ken Smith drifts his Lola past at speed. This shot sums up perfectly the dedication Terry has for this sport.

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Here he is again, same spot. This is the photo that appears on the front cover of Looking Back, The Motorsport Photography Of terry Marshall.

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Crazy wings. This is Piers Courage exiting the Pukekohe hairpin on his way to finishing third in the 1969 NZIGP, in his Brabham BT24.

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Same spot, same race, Jochen Rindt on his way to second in the beautiful Lotus 49T.

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Terrys own personal favourite F5000 photo, Graeme Lawrence thundering past the hangars at Wigram.

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Another one of my favourites. Pete Geoghegan in the Super Falcon at the 1972 Bay Park Xmas meeting, lighting up the rear bags with 620hp of fury.

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 12:52 AM
From the same Bay Park meeting as above, Geoghegan chases Allan Moffat who showers race fans with the rocks and stones lining the outside of the tarmac.

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Terry became a huge Keke Rosberg fan when Keke visited New Zealand soon after Formula Atlantic was introduced as the replacement for F5000. Keke was rapidly making his way up the international motorsport ladder towards Formula 1, eventually becoming World Champion. Everyone who saw him race Atlantic cars in NZ knew he was on his way to greatness.

Here he assaults one of the awful temporary Pukekohe chicanes as only Keke could do.

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 01:01 AM
Says Terry of this shot: "Keke Rosberg, what a star, always goofing around. Here on the grid at Wigram. He had just pulled me down into the cockpit to tell me if I came to Germany with him he would jack me up a job as a magazine photographer there. I had a lovely wife and two great kids, so I had to say no".

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 01:20 AM
PDL Mustang II, at Bay Park, during the 1979 Open Saloon series. There were three rounds held at Bay Park, Pukekohe, and Manfeild, each with two handicap races, with the cars set off at timed intervals, slowest to fastest, based on qualifying times. The battles between Leo Leonard in PDL II and Jim Richards in the Falcon hardtop were electrifying. Note the tall rear wing, fitted by the PDL team for this series. The wing came off a McLaren M10 sat in one of their sheds. Leonard said it made a huge difference to the cars handling.

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 01:25 AM
From the Manfeild Open Saloon series round, Leonard and Richards get suited up for battle. During this day the pair of them smashed the lap record several times over, and Leonards final best lap remained unbeaten for well over a decade.

Steve Holmes
11-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Red Dawson was always dramatic, which is why the crowds loved him. He gave 110% every time he raced. Here he is, in his newly acquired DeKon Monza, at Timaru, kicking up rocks and dirt exiting the first esse, as he chases Leonard in PDL I.

OCTARD-USA
11-09-2012, 04:07 AM

One of the best angles of a DeKon Monza, and caught in just the right moment by Mr. Marshall. Great stuff.

Shano
11-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Bloody wonderful, thanks for bringing them to us. More, more! :p

kiwi285
11-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Terry must have a fantastic collection of photos and I would imagine that we have not seen the half of them. Keep them coming.

GD66
11-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Buy the book !

It's a ripper !

Steve Holmes
11-12-2012, 10:39 PM
This sequence of photos have been published a number of times, but I never get tired of them. Terry did a beautiful job capturing this incident.

This is at the Xmas 1973 Bay Park meeting, that had all the top NZ guns plus Allan Moffat over with his Mustang. Behind the front runners, John Riley in the ex-Joe Chamberlain/Dennis Marwood Camaro was battling hard with Kevin Haig in the ex-Bob Egan/Bob Kennett/Dexter Dunlop Mustang. Charging into the hairpin in the third and final race, Riley who was behind Haig, dived in too hot, clipped the back of the Mustang, and was fired backwards through the catch fence.

But Riley wasn't done with yet. Before the dust had even settled, he fired up the Camaro, and set about trying to get back into the action. But unbeknown to him, the fuel tank had been ripped out in the incident, the Camaro was quickly starved, and stopped.

Riley, the former speedway hard-charger, was always spectacular.

Steve Holmes
11-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Says Terry of this photo:

"Amon in a works Ferrari in New Zealand. I couldn't believe it. Taken at Wigram in 1968. I was stationed at Wigram doing my military service, and could hear Amon and Clark howling around during practice while I was learning how to survive an atomic attack by lying down behind any brick or concrete wall that was handy. Makes me laugh just thinking about it".

Steve Holmes
11-14-2012, 12:09 AM
I love this one:

"This photograph of David Oxton having a snooze in the Begg FM5 at Bay Park in '73 won first place in Road & Track magazines world wide photographic competition held in 1974".

Steve Holmes
11-14-2012, 11:12 PM
A few Kiwi tin top drivers:

Red Dawson, set to do battle in the DeKon Monza.

Steve Holmes
11-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Paul Fahey in the PDL Mustang. His 2.5 seasons was a love-hate relationship with this car.

Steve Holmes
11-14-2012, 11:16 PM
L - R: Leo Leonard, Jim Richards, and Jack Nazer at Manfeild, 1979.

Steve Holmes
11-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Jim Richards and Rod Coppins at Levin prior to a Castrol GTX production car race.

Steve Holmes
11-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Jack Nazer in the Victor Chevy Miss Victorious (http://www.theroaringseason.com/content.php?232-Article-Miss-Victorious)

Steve Holmes
11-15-2012, 12:30 AM
From Terry: "McRae on the grid at Levin, 1970, open face helmet and all. I didn't think much of F5000 when they first appeared at Bay Park in December '68. Big old pigs, but by 1970 they were the bees knees".

TonyG
11-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Brilliantly timed shot this one with Haig again in the shot.

This sequence of photos have been published a number of times, but I never get tired of them. Terry did a beautiful job capturing this incident.

But Riley wasn't done with yet. Before the dust had even settled, he fired up the Camaro, and set about trying to get back into the action. But unbeknown to him, the fuel tank had been ripped out in the incident, the Camaro was quickly starved, and stopped.

Riley, the former speedway hard-charger, was always spectacular.

Oldfart
11-17-2012, 06:51 AM
From Terry: "McRae on the grid at Levin, 1970, open face helmet and all. I didn't think much of F5000 when they first appeared at Bay Park in December '68. Big old pigs, but by 1970 they were the bees knees".

I actually found Terrys' letter to Dicks' Autonews this afternoon where he tells his feelings about "The state of NZ motorsport" Can retype if you want (Can't scan)

Steve Holmes
11-19-2012, 02:33 AM
Yeah that would be good Rhys. Is that the old original Autonews?

Steve Holmes
11-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Couple of great shots of the Paul Fahey RS2600 Capri, first with Fahey himself, then with the cars next owner, Grant Walker.

Steve Holmes
11-19-2012, 03:16 AM
John Riley was a crowd favourite, and these photos demonstrate why. He always gave 100%, and drove a road race car like he was still on the bullring dirt ovals. He didn't have the equipment of the top guys, but was usually within striking distance. He had his best years in tin tops racing the ex-Fahey Shelby Mustang, which he campaigned for three seasons, 1969/70 - 1971/72. His best season with the car was his first, where he finished 3rd in the NZ Saloon Car Championship.

These shots capture Riley during his second and third seasons, after the Mustang had been painted metallic green. He lights up the rear bags exiting the hairpin at Bay Park and kicks up a bit of gravel for added drama!

His son Brett was a pretty good peddler too!

Oldfart
11-19-2012, 06:23 AM
A letter to the editor
Well I've seen the first two races for this years' "New Look" Tasman Championship and to say the least if next season is going to be the same I don't car weather (sic) I see another Tasman Championship meeting.
I reakon (sic) I must be one of the worlds most enthusiastic race fans but these so-called "thundering flame belching monsters" in their present form leave me cold. Admittedly we have the middle field runners from this years Guards and Continental championships in Britain and the US of A (plus Englands great World Championship hope in his thundering blue monster) but also I think you must admit that Frank Matich is about as fast a peddlet as we will see, yet even his great skill cannot get the M10A (to put it simply) into such spectacular cornering attitudes as say Max Stewart and the Mildren. Sure the 2 litre car is easier to drive on the limit but it is this that the spectators want to see. They say these cars make an exciting sound, granted - but we've had it with saloon and sports cars for the past 3 or 4 years. Oce in the days of the BRM and now the 2.4 Dino Ferrari the 2 litre Waggott and the Cosworth Fords a chill went right through you when they were revved. These 5 litre V8s just fall flat on their faces when compared to the noise of the "real thing".
At Levin under 2.5 liter cars were first and second with a stock block engined car next. The racing engined cars closer together at the finish than the stock blocker. At Pukekohe the stock blocker beat the racing engines but they were closer together than the stock blockers. Well so what you might say. I don't know but if close racing is what the spectators want to see I don't think they're getting it this year.
On the other side of the fence at the GP meeting my camera failed. Now over the past 3 years I have seen all my motor racing through a telephoto lens and a Press Pass. This I thort was the way to see motor racing because even if the racing wasent so good you could still take your pickshures and remain interested. And you know I reakon that I'm right. Because at the GP, after the failure of the Foto Macheen I thort I would be a typical Kiwi for a change and watch from the stands. So watch them from the satnds I did "AND I WAS BORED STIFF"...
Not was I bored stiff because of the vantage point was no good, but because the razing was so booring. Fair Go - what these paying supporters of the sport have to go thru for what they hope is a gud days motor racing is no joke. This was supposed to be an International meeting. No wonder spectator figures are falling. Just becuase one driver comes from Wales, one from Sweden a couple from England, one from Riverside, USA you don't think you are going to get International class motor racing do you? You might have an International flavour but that's all. You wouldnit match a hillbilly kite flyer with an astronaught now would you and hope to get an air race. Well that's wat we were getting thisyear my friends - Hillybilly motor racing.
If the Tasman series is going to grow it must not only cature the imagination of the New Zealand press but also the overseas press and bods higher up must be suitably impressed. Without a doubt Formula A is the way for us to go but not with the filed of also rans that we've got out here this tear. What's the use of pitting them against the best that we have. This is primarily our series so wouldnit be better and of more value to everyone to have 2 or 3 top English and American A drivers such as Gethin, Taylor, Hailwood, Hobbs, Cannon, Posey etcetera plus our top drivers against one or two graded drivers. Then we would have a truly unique series where our top could have a real crack at the cream of the overseas drivers and these drivers could in turn , have a shot at the established driver on there own terms.
No I a'm waiting for someone to say that the series couldn't afford such extravagances.
But alas we would still have that noise problem. May be that we could fit silencers to the cars and play real racing engine noises over the public address.
Finally I'm an atroshiious speller and anithing that you can do to correct it wud be 'preciated.
Terry Marshall"

I don't care about the writing Terry, the man behind the shutter more than made up for the lack of literary skill. And that season was pretty dull!

Steve Holmes
11-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Wow, interesting letter! TM really DIDN'T like those early F5000 cars did he! But I can see his point. NZ went from having modern F1 cars and F1 drivers to Formula A cars, driven mostly by people Kiwi punters had never heard of.

Steve Holmes
11-20-2012, 01:25 AM
TMs tribute to his good mate Murray McLaren (MAC), who passed away just recently.

Steve Holmes
11-20-2012, 01:31 AM
MAC (standing next to the front wheel) looks over the damaged front suspension Dave McMillan has just smashed on one of the Pukekohe chicanes.

Steve Holmes
11-20-2012, 01:35 AM
McMillan team line-up.

Steve Holmes
11-20-2012, 01:39 AM
Dave and MAC.

Steve Holmes
11-20-2012, 01:40 AM
Having just won the 1980 Lady Wigram Trophy race.

Steve Holmes
11-28-2012, 03:35 AM
Formula 5000 at Wigram:

Ken Smith, Lola T332

Peter Gethin, Chevron B24:

Graeme Lawrence, Lola T332:

Steve Holmes
11-28-2012, 03:37 AM
Graham McRae, McRae GM2:

Steve Holmes
11-28-2012, 03:38 AM
Warwick Brown, crossing the grates in the T332:

Steve Holmes
11-28-2012, 03:41 AM
Kevin Bartlett, cranking on some opposite lock in the T400. KB is best remembered by many race fans for his three years in the Channel 9 Camaro from 1980 - 82, but he was born to drive an F5000, and man-handled these cars like few others could. Open wheeler racing was always his first-love.

Steve Holmes
11-29-2012, 04:00 AM
This is the PDL Falcon raced by Clyde Collins during the 1970 and 71 seasons. Note the differences in the car from its first season (first two photos), with taller ride height, steel wheels, and that of the second season, with the Minilites, flares guards etc. This was a good car, not quite at the level of the very quickest saloons, but not far off. The PDL team then bought the Paul Fahey Boss Mustang and the Falcon was retired. I believe it was converted back to a road car and later written off.

Oldfart
11-29-2012, 04:08 AM
Not a real Ford fan, but that car was always a favourite.

zombie289
11-29-2012, 05:22 AM
That car was a falcon 500 yeah?? Did it run a 302W, 351W, or 351C engine?

Steve Holmes
11-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Yep Pauly, just a Falcon 500. Probably didn't make any sense to spend the extra cash on buying a GT or GTHO, when most of the running gear would get replaced. The Falcon ran a 351, I'm guessing probably a Windsor, based on the timeline, but I could be wrong. Its possible more than one motor was used over the two seasons. Interestingly, the car didn't really fit any particular regulations. The NZ Saloon Car Championship rules had in place a 5.5 litre maximum engine limit, the Collins Falcon was 5.8. But at some events, such as those run by Bay Park and Pukekohe that weren't NZSSC events, where international teams were imported, the Falcon was eligible. It was also eligible to race the Mercury $1000 series in the South Island. It seems to have appeared in some NZSSC races, but I can only assume wasn't eligible for points.

Steve Holmes
11-30-2012, 04:54 AM
After many years competing at the very pointy end of NZ saloon car racing competition, from the time it arrived in NZ in 1970, right through to its big Pukekohe crash in 1976 while batlting Jack Nazer for a race win, the PDL Mustang was finally superseded by a magnificent new IMSA style machine, the PDL II. But rather than being scrapped, the PDL Mustang was repaired, and repainted to match the new PDL II. Its alloy block motor was removed and put into PDL II, and an iron block Ford V8 went in the engine bay, and the PDL Mustang began a new chapter with the Open Saloon Car Association (OSCA).

Initially the car was raced by Dave Baker in the 1977 season, then, later, Graham Baker ran it briefly in the 1981 season, before replacing it with the Brent Bullivant built V8 Capri.

The Mustang is shown here negotiating the hairpin at Bay Park in what would have been one of the last times it raced in the North Island. Also in the picture are the V8 Capri's of Bill Leckie and Brent Bullivant.

Steve Holmes
12-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Magnificent shot taken just moments after the start of the Levin international, in January 1969. This would be a dramatic race, with lots of changing of positions, and eventually won by Amon in the Ferrari, from Courage in the Brabham, and Gardner in the pretty Mildren-Alfa.

In this race Jochen Rindt had a nasty shunt when he spun and clipped an earth bank, flipped, and landed upside down, with fuel pouring over him as he lay trapped inside. Fortunately, Dick Sellens was nearby, and dragged Rindt from the car before any further harm could be done.

This was the last season these magnificent machines, driven by the worlds best drivers would be seen in NZ. Its easy to understand Terrys initial lack of enthusiasm when F5000 was first introduced as New Zealands premier category. How can anything compare to scenes like this?

Steve Emson
12-04-2012, 11:43 PM
I was there watching all this as a young boy! A different era for sure.
Magnificent shot taken just moments after the start of the Levin international, in January 1969. This would be a dramatic race, with lots of changing of positions, and eventually won by Amon in the Ferrari, from Courage in the Brabham, and Gardner in the pretty Mildren-Alfa.

In this race Jochen Rindt had a nasty shunt when he spun and clipped an earth bank, flipped, and landed upside down, with fuel pouring over him as he lay trapped inside. Fortunately, Dick Sellens was nearby, and dragged Rindt from the car before any further harm could be done.

This was the last season these magnificent machines, driven by the worlds best drivers would be seen in NZ. Its easy to understand Terrys initial lack of enthusiasm when F5000 was first introduced as New Zealands premier category. How can anything compare to scenes like this?

Steve Holmes
12-06-2012, 09:49 PM
I reckon that would have been pretty influential stuff for a young fellah.

Steve Holmes
03-13-2013, 02:30 AM
Time to bump this thread back to the top. At the end of the 1977 season, Motorsport NZ chose to place a 2 litre maximum engine capacity on the NZ Saloon Car Championship, in an effort to revive the fields. Car numbers had slumped, and the cars themselves had become too expensive to build. ShellSport had been sponsoring the NZ Saloon Car Championship during the 1976 and '77 seasons, and they retained their support for the new 2 litre series, which simply became known and recognised as the ShellSport series.

However, with several large capacity cars having sat around redundant, plans were put in to place to create an Open Saloon series, in January 1979, in which there were essentially no rules. The series was held at Bay Park, Pukekohe, and Manfeild, with each circuit having two races, each of which was a handicap start based on qualifying times. Aussie racer John Briggs put up a strong performance in the opening round at Bay Park in the ex-Red Dawson Chevy Monza, and took the fight to Jim Richards in his Falcon XC hardtop. But from there onwards, there were really only two cars in the running, Richards' Falcon and Leo Leonards PDL Mustang II. the PDL II struck problems at Bay Park, but really took the fight to Richards at Pukekohe, although the Falcon was slightly more stable on the bumps. But by Manfeild, Leonard was the fastest, if only just, and these two destroyed all existing saloon car lap records.

Here are Leonard and Richards charging hard at Pukekohe. Note the size of the crowd in the background!

Steve Holmes
03-13-2013, 02:31 AM
Leonard again at Puke.

Steve Holmes
03-13-2013, 02:32 AM
At Bay Park, Richards and Leonard loom up behind Graeme Addis in his Charger.

Steve Holmes
03-13-2013, 02:33 AM
Here is John Briggs at Bay Park

Steve Holmes
03-13-2013, 02:34 AM
Briggs and Leonard

Steve Holmes
03-13-2013, 02:35 AM
Richards in the long, sleek Falcon at Bay Park

Steve Holmes
03-13-2013, 02:37 AM
Here they are at Manfeild

Steve Holmes
05-27-2013, 11:59 PM
With Nico Rosberg winning at Monaco on the weekend, Terry dusted off this stunner, of Keke doing what he did best, at Bay Park, 1978.

Rod Grimwood
05-28-2013, 12:36 AM
With Nico Rosberg winning at Monaco on the weekend, Terry dusted off this stunner, of Keke doing what he did best, at Bay Park, 1978.

Rosberg was quality, he changed the approach to driving these cars.
Think it was year after that Steve Millen did the same, he had a good record against overseas stars at Bay Park espsecially.