PDA

View Full Version : Article: The Vintage Aviator - WW1 Airshow

Steve Holmes
11-11-2012, 08:33 AM

This weekend my partner Helen and I attended a fantastic WW1 Airshow put on by The Vintage Aviator, at Masterton Aerodrome, in New Zealand. I actually wasn't all that keen to go, I had so many other things that needed doing, and my knowledge of WW1 fighter planes is limited at best. But I'm so glad I made the effort. What an absolutely magic event.

What was so captivating about this event was that the planes themselves were so incredibly packed with character and individuality. The show was only on for three hours, and there were flying displays virtually throughout, but even if not a single plane had left the ground, I'd still have had a great time, because the planes themselves were completely mesmerising. The level of detail in each was superb, and each was resplendent in its own unique war paint; as the announcers said, in WW1, planes didn't have to be painted in a specific colour decided upon by that countries airforce. Therefore, each was a mad and unique combination of anything the pilot wanted.

In many ways, these planes reminded me of the race cars that competed before, and immediately following WW1, and in particular, those that raced on the "Murderdromes", the incredible American board tracks of the same era, that I wrote about way back when The Roaring Season first began (see here (http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?35-The-Murder-Dromes)) that were, in many ways, as dangerous as flying a WW1 fighter place in combat. These planes were as beautiful, artistic, colourful and whacky as the race cars of the day, and certainly as charismatic.

What an amazing way to spend a few hours on a sunny afternoon. I'll definitely go again.

Steve Holmes
11-11-2012, 08:34 AM
I took a bunch of pics at the event, but have to admit I'm not a very good photographer, but if you guys want to see more I'm happy to post them.

Racer Rog
11-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Post them
Roger

Shano
11-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Do it! I'm a sucker for all that classic and vintage stuff.

Oldfart
11-11-2012, 09:35 AM
If you don't post them you will be excommunicated from TRS

Steve Holmes
11-11-2012, 08:39 PM
OK, here goes:

Albatros DVa

Fokker DVIII. Note single wing plane, which came in right at the end of the War.

Fokker DVII

Steve Holmes
11-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Amazing Fokker Triplanes. The Red Baron flew a Fokker Triplane. Check out the fantastic paint schemes.

Steve Holmes
11-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was there too.

Steve Holmes
11-11-2012, 08:45 PM

nigel watts
11-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Give yourself some credit Steve - there's nothing wrong with your photography and your images are terrific. Whats the story with these planes - are they locally owned? I presume they are replicas but are they full size or 3/4? Many years ago I went to visit an airshow of the Shuttleworth Collection at Biggleswade aerodrome in England. That too was a fascinating glimpse into the past.

Steve Holmes
11-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks Nigel. The airshow was put on by The Vintage Aviator, who build and restore WW1 fighter planes. Some are accurate replicas, some are the genuine article. Likewise, some are NZ owned, some have international owners. The planes aren't all related to The Vintage Aviator, many have been restored/built elsewhere, but these guys are responsible for putting the show on.

They have an excellent website with lots of info: www.thevintageaviator.co.nz

Steve Holmes
11-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Sopwith Triplane

Nieuport 11 Bebe. Paint scheme is based on the Italian Nieuport flown by Alvaro Leonardi, the monkey image is that of the "Happy Hooligan" comic strip character. Note the machine gun on top of the top wing which heavily disadvantaged this plane. By this stage the Germans had mastered the art of the interrupter gear, where the pilot could fire a machine through the spinning propeller blade without hitting the blade.

Steve Holmes
11-11-2012, 09:35 PM
De Havilland DH5

Steve Holmes
11-11-2012, 10:01 PM
My favourite plane at the show, the mad little Sopwith Camel. This plane is very short, which meant it could out-manoeuvre the enemy, but because it was so short it was incredibly difficult to fly. Its powered by a big rotary motor in which the crankshaft is fixed and the cylinders and prop rotate around it. It makes a fabulous noise, a loud TAT TAT TAT TAT TAT. The motor is always on full throttle when switched on, and the pilot controls it with a selector switch which cuts the ignition to some cylinders, so basically it has full, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 throttle, all controlled by a switch. When flying it goes TAT TAT TAT TAT TAT, then goes almost silent as the pilot cuts the power, then comes back on again. As if that weren't challenging enough, the rotation of the motor means it is constantly trying to pull to the right, so really difficult when trying to take off.

mid-year
11-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Fabulous Aircraft and beautifully photographed and described,NZ has obviously the foremost collection of WW1 era aircraft in existance.

Great thread!

Pete.

kiwi285
11-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Fabulous shots Steve. The other great interest in my life - vintage aviation. Did you get any shots of the SE 5a's

Most of those aircraft are owned by the Vintage Aviator which is owned by Peter Jackson. I am always happy when he makes a mint out of his films because I know that a fair chunk of it will end up back in vintage aviation. He is currently working on a remake of the Dambusters movie and has several full scale replicas of Lancasters in the country.

I see recently that the Vintage Aviator sold three WW I aircraft to the RAF Museum in the UK and they are rapt with the quality and visual presentation of the aircraft. I believe that all three aircraft will be flown first before going on static display in the museum. We are extremely lucky in this country as most of these aircraft are only flying in NZ. Much like the Mosquito at the moment. Saw it flying over Lake Karapiro at the weekend and what a sight it made.

Powder
11-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Airco DH.5 chased by a Pfalz D.III.

Pfalz & a pair of Albatros'.

Sopwith Camel vs Fokker D.VIII. Even the show commentators said that looked pretty close.

Yeah yeah na
11-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Gee, I need to get out from under that rock, I only live up the road and never knew it was on. Thanks for the pictures, its hard to not appreciate the mechanics of those old beasts!!

TonyG
11-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Was Biggles there? I used to love reading all the Biggles books when I was a kid about his exploits in his Sopwith Camel. lol

Steve Holmes
11-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Airco DH.5 chased by a Pfalz D.III.

Pfalz & a pair of Albatros'.

Sopwith Camel vs Fokker D.VIII. Even the show commentators said that looked pretty close.

Wow, these are amazing photos. Thanks for posting them.

Steve Holmes
11-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Fabulous shots Steve. The other great interest in my life - vintage aviation. Did you get any shots of the SE 5a's

Most of those aircraft are owned by the Vintage Aviator which is owned by Peter Jackson. I am always happy when he makes a mint out of his films because I know that a fair chunk of it will end up back in vintage aviation. He is currently working on a remake of the Dambusters movie and has several full scale replicas of Lancasters in the country.

I see recently that the Vintage Aviator sold three WW I aircraft to the RAF Museum in the UK and they are rapt with the quality and visual presentation of the aircraft. I believe that all three aircraft will be flown first before going on static display in the museum. We are extremely lucky in this country as most of these aircraft are only flying in NZ. Much like the Mosquito at the moment. Saw it flying over Lake Karapiro at the weekend and what a sight it made.

Thanks for that Mike. I did wonder if The Vintage Aviator might have been Peter Jacksons, I knew he had a company in Wellington that built/restored WW1 planes, but wasn't sure if this was him or now. He plays a very low-key role. Do you know if the three Fokker Triplanes posted here are his? Yes there were a couple of SE 5a's there.

Steve Holmes
11-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Fabulous Aircraft and beautifully photographed and described,NZ has obviously the foremost collection of WW1 era aircraft in existance.

Great thread!

Pete.

Thanks Pete, glad you're enjoying them. I know you're a bit of an enthusiast of old war planes.

Steve Holmes
11-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Steve Holmes
11-12-2012, 09:32 PM

Steve Holmes
11-12-2012, 09:45 PM
There were two FE2b's, which are really incredible looking machines. The motor sits behind the pilot, the prop behind the motor, and sort of pushes the plane forward, rather than pulls it. Behind the main cockpit area there is really little more than four long wooden poles that join at the tail section. Quite majestic looking things, but at the same time slightly ungainly. Note in the aerial shot the gunman sits right out in front of the pilot in his own little section. Originally, the gunman had to stand, and had no harnesses to stop him falling out. And apparently a few did actually fall out. Health & safety now requires he be strapped in!

According to the announcers, this event was the first time two FE2b's had flown together since WW1.

kiwi285
11-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Thanks for that Mike. I did wonder if The Vintage Aviator might have been Peter Jacksons, I knew he had a company in Wellington that built/restored WW1 planes, but wasn't sure if this was him or now. He plays a very low-key role. Do you know if the three Fokker Triplanes posted here are his? Yes there were a couple of SE 5a's there.

As far as I am aware TVAL does own several Triplanes but don't ask me which ones. We must have one of the biggest populations of these aircraft in the world. TVAL is a difficult place to find out any news of what they are up to - it is a closed shop and you only find out when they register their latest aircraft with CAA.

A visit to their website is an eye opener. They make everything including original WW I engines, all the guns etc. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they make instruments as well.

Being tied up with the film industry they have access to some amazing artists and the aging process that they achieve with paint will blow your sox off. I have had a close look at a couple of their WW I tanks and the aging process that they achieve with layers of paint is staggering.

Steve Holmes
11-13-2012, 04:55 AM
Thanks Mike, yes their work is quite incredible, the curved woodwork on the FE2b's is amazing!

Steve Holmes
11-13-2012, 04:57 AM
My point about the close relationship between early aviation and race cars of the era can be seen in the famous Marmon Wasp.

Steve Holmes
11-15-2012, 12:34 AM
A Kitty Hawk was also present, and put on an impressive high speed display. Sounded fantastic too!

Oldfart
11-15-2012, 02:20 AM
This whole lot could be the future of air defence in NZ. At least they have greater numbers than the RNZAF:)

Shano
11-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Those F2Bs look seriously dangerous, even without someone shooting at you with machine guns.

TonyG
11-15-2012, 08:29 PM

Can anyone tell me what he small prop is for ? Probably a really obvious answer but I cant think of it. lol

Powder
11-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Can anyone tell me what he small prop is for ? Probably a really obvious answer but I cant think of it. lol

I was thinking Air speed indicator, but they're usually further out on the wings (away from the propeller), so maybe a generator?

mid-year
11-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Sometimes a small prop mounted in this location was used to pressurize the fuel system,a high speed dive could over speed this device resulting in failure.

Pete.

beowulf
11-16-2012, 10:00 AM
If you are going through Blenheim make time to go and see the Omaka museum.Fabulous dioramas of WW1 aircraft in action and out of action. Peter Jackson and Weta Workshop had a major input in these as well. Budget for at least two hours. Just down the road is a classic car museum as well.
I didn't see the Mosquito at Karapiro. Down at Manfeild. But all reports have been what an amazing aeroplane it is, a pity that it is going overseas. A very large crowd at Karapiro for the annual armistice day celebrations.

Beowulf

neale
11-16-2012, 10:57 AM
I sware I was born a couple of generations too late.

Great pictures guys!!!

I love this era of aircraft & also the early air racers of the 30's (some fantastic planes like the spitfire came from these).

I would love to come to NZ one day just to check these planes out.

A few years back a replica WW1 Bomber Vickers Vimy flew out to Australia & I was lucky enough to see it fly. They are so slow but amazing to see such a huge biplane fly.

These are not my pics but give you an idea

http://www.airpics.net/UserFiles/pics/large/G-EAOU-Vickers-FB27-Vimy-Private/3500/3451l.jpg

There is some more info here on the epic flight that this aircraft undertook
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2121585/Flying-machine-Those-magnificent-men-built-replica-1919-Vimy-plane-fly-round-world.html

I just wish that there was a huge Handley Page 0/1500 still around. There was a great story of one of these being used the Third Anglo-Afghan War in 1919. It only dropped a handfull of small bombs in one mission that did no real damage but the apperance of this huge aircraft was enough to cause great psychological impact on the citizens of Kabul & it brought the war to an end.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the size of one. Its hard to imagine what it would have been like, considering most people of this era probably had not seen a plane before let alone something this big dropping bombs but of been shocking to most people.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8010/7585330418_d4e4c8cec8_z.jpg
http://flyingmachines.ru/Images7/Flight/1919/504-1.jpg
http://flyingmachines.ru/Images7/Putnam/British_Bombers/110-1.jpg
http://flyingmachines.ru/Images7/Putnam/British_Bombers/109-1.jpg