PDA

View Full Version : Gary Devon's Shed

Powder
11-26-2012, 10:20 PM
While checking the HRSCC website to see if the Taupo race meeting was still on this weekend I noticed this link:

http://www.hrscc.co.nz/gallery.html

I'd heard of the shed/s and some of its contents but was under the impression it was very much a private collection.

Rod Grimwood
11-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Wow

Steve Holmes
11-27-2012, 01:48 AM
Wow

x2!

Oldfart
11-27-2012, 02:24 AM
Powder, yes Taupo is on.
And holy cra...

ERC
11-27-2012, 02:38 AM
I knew Gary had a collection too, but nothing like that! Never judge a man by his appearance...

kiwi285
11-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Holy hell - what a collection. Now we know where some of the historic race cars went to. Great to know that they survived. Wonder if Gary has any intention of exercising any of the cars.

ERC
11-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Long term plans for Hampton Downs include a motorsport museum, so I hope they build a big one and can include some cars from some of these private collections, on a rotational basis, so that it is an ever changing museum, always worth a visit.

David McKinney
11-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Anyone know what the "JBS National Formula car" is?

Habu
11-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Remember seeing some of these cars when Mr Devon lived in Papakura in the late 1980's, on the one and only visit I made with him to his house - he was a good friend of my neighbours Charlie Thomasen, and used to help him out on his Formula Pacific. Even back then as a teenager I couldnt believe what he had, and I only saw a small part of it. Also had a fair few speedway solo's from recollection too. It was always the Mansell Lotus that stuck in my memory. Well that, and the green 55 Chev parked in the driveway with shotgun pellets in the windscreen that belonged to one of his sons......

GeebeeNZ
11-28-2012, 04:49 AM
Anyone know what the "JBS National Formula car" is?

David cant guarantee it but when Jim Baird was living in Manurewa he was building /restoring a car I thought was a Formula Ford. He sold it before he moved to Patea in Taranaki. As he often called his cars JBS for Jim Baird Special it is possibly that car. Hopefully one of our HRSCC members can confirm.

David McKinney
11-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Makes sense Geeb

BMCBOY
11-28-2012, 09:54 PM
A few more photos of Gary Devon's shed for those interested - amazing collection

kiwi285
11-28-2012, 10:00 PM
BMCBOY I have sent you a private message.

Bruce302
11-28-2012, 11:21 PM
This brings to mind of the hundreds, or thousands, of very important cars that are stashed away around our little country, and could be part of some very impressive displays (auto museums ?) It is of course heartening to know that they are well cared for and appreciated.

Bruce.

Jizim
09-06-2013, 01:44 PM
While checking the HRSCC website to see if the Taupo race meeting was still on this weekend I noticed this link:

http://www.hrscc.co.nz/gallery.html

I'd heard of the shed/s and some of its contents but was under the impression it was very much a private collection.

Yep it is a private collection.....Gary has asked me to source a couple of American Funny Cars for him after I had returned from the States and was invited to a "monthly" get together lunch with a few of the old boys of USA Drag racing. I very nearly bought (as I was offered it at a very attractive price) ....one of John Force's Mustang Funny Cars..(less motor).....Don Garlits, John Force, Mongoose (of The Snake ...Prudohme....and the Mongoose....)...whos name just escapes me at this moment, Lee Cohen..(whom I got the invite from.. and has visited NZ a few times to stay with Garth Hogan....but sadly passed away a year ago..) and about three other "legends" were there....so awe inspiring to be amongst that lot of the sports "History"...Cut a story bit short...I will talk with John Force next time I go up there and Shuemacher...(used to run the Army Funny Cars) and will organise those for Gary's collection. Gary is moving his collection soon as he has sold his property along side the motorway. And how true is ERC about you can't judge a man by his appearance....I would hate to hazzard a guess the "worth" of his collection. And I love the idea of rotating a Museum piece each month.....Regards, Tony Rutherford.

Michael Clark
09-06-2013, 09:17 PM
I was there that day and was told we saw only part of the collection - i.e. there is another shed - with lots of Ralts...

225sloper
09-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Yep it is a private collection.....Gary has asked me to source a couple of American Funny Cars for him after I had returned from the States and was invited to a "monthly" get together lunch with a few of the old boys of USA Drag racing. I very nearly bought (as I was offered it at a very attractive price) ....one of John Force's Mustang Funny Cars..(less motor).....Don Garlits, John Force, Mongoose (of The Snake ...Prudohme....and the Mongoose....)...whos name just escapes me at this moment, Lee Cohen..(whom I got the invite from.. and has visited NZ a few times to stay with Garth Hogan....but sadly passed away a year ago..) and about three other "legends" were there....so awe inspiring to be amongst that lot of the sports "History"...Cut a story bit short...I will talk with John Force next time I go up there and Shuemacher...(used to run the Army Funny Cars) and will organise those for Gary's collection. Gary is moving his collection soon as he has sold his property along side the motorway. And how true is ERC about you can't judge a man by his appearance....I would hate to hazzard a guess the "worth" of his collection. And I love the idea of rotating a Museum piece each month.....Regards, Tony Rutherford.
Mongoose is Tom McEwen. . .i see he has the ex Grant Rivers funnycar yellow with purple flames,also the dragster hanging on wall was raced by Jim Carol just a few years ago,. . .great collection

Jizim
11-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Mongoose is Tom McEwen. . .i see he has the ex Grant Rivers funnycar yellow with purple flames,also the dragster hanging on wall was raced by Jim Carol just a few years ago,. . .great collection

Tom McEwen...thats it...thanks for that. Some thing really really odd happened with regards to Tom. (really neat guy who spends a lot of his time visiting Children's Hospitals around the States due to the fact of personal loss to himself regarding one of his kids.) Well when I came back from the States after that particular visit with my girlfriend we were to go to Fiji to a mate's wedding a couple of months later. It was hot (as it normally is) and one evening after dinner my girlfriend and I decided to go and have a couple beers while swimming in the hotels pool. There was us two and another guy up the other end. We ended up chatting to this dude who was American. we told him of our trip to his home land saying how much we enjoyed it etc. He enquired what took us up there and I told him I was purchasing race car stuff etc. He said his brother races cars up there....and knock me over with a stick if his brother wasn't Tom McEwen himself. I then proceeded to tell him I had lunch with him etc blah blah. He just travels the world playing music this fella but how is that for coincidence! Just this one dude and us in the pool..............damn thats wierd.
Regards, Tony Rutherford.
P.S. Talking with Gary last week...he's on the move yet again...this time somewhere on the Bombay Hill he is looking at a property. Watch this space.

paul lancaster
11-09-2013, 02:46 AM
Unreal collection, im pretty sure the formula vee car number 35 is the ex scott dixon car as drivecard sponsored him early on

Oldfart
11-09-2013, 04:05 AM
I am NOT making inferences, but when does collection cross over to hoarding?

John McKechnie
11-09-2013, 04:55 AM
When it becomes an obsession.