PDA

View Full Version : Les Rankin

Bruce Blacklock
12-03-2012, 01:16 AM
NZ Herald Dec 3 has a death notice for well known Pukekohe clerk of course Les Rankin. Les had a reputation for being fair but firm with drivers and officials alike. Very few people from the period would not have a story or two about their dealings with "friendly Les". Rest in peace old friend.

Steve Holmes
12-03-2012, 01:18 AM
Thank you for starting this Bruce. Jamie A had just asked me to create a similar thread.

RIP.

jim short
12-03-2012, 04:14 AM
Dave Silcock had some good storeys about Mr Rankin per haps he will tell them??

jamie
12-03-2012, 04:42 AM
Thank,s Les for all the good times and help from mud scrambles to Chambiln Rd Pukie and much more. RIP old mate !!. Jamie A

Steve Emson
12-03-2012, 07:35 AM
RIP, Les

Pete
12-10-2012, 07:36 AM
RIP, Les

Thank you for your memories of my Dad. I remember clearly Pukekohe from about '72 onwards and the dedication with which he went about his job organising and trying to keep drivers safe. He had a large send off and it was great to see some old school NZ race people in attendance. We hope people continue to tell stories about Dad both good and bad because in a committed man both exist!

jamie
12-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Yes Pete I was A good send offlots of the old school were there David Oxton gave an excllant speech it was well worth the trip to Auckland to see LES off . Jamie A

Rod Grimwood
12-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Had a meeting with your dad once at Pukekohe club curcuit Pete, he was enquiring into the signal I gave a couple of marshalls who wouldn't give me a shove off a concrete mound on inside of sweeper that I parked across sideways (at a reasonable rate of knots). I convinced him the signal was for two too push, honest. He discussed a better way of asking and sent me on my way to apologize to the marshalls.
He was a good guy, and ran the ship pretty straight.
He was always there. RIP

Pete
12-22-2012, 03:10 AM
NZ Herald Dec 3 has a death notice for well known Pukekohe clerk of course Les Rankin. Les had a reputation for being fair but firm with drivers and officials alike. Very few people from the period would not have a story or two about their dealings with "friendly Les". Rest in peace old friend.

Bruce, did you work at NZMC in the distant past. Your name is very familiar but I can't place it.

Bruce Blacklock
12-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Yes Pete I was parts manager for your Dad from 1973 to the end of 1976 at Papakura. I was also a committee member of the Auckland Car Club alongside Les. As editor of the club magazine when the article calling him "Friendly Les" was published I had a lot of questions from him demanding to know who wrote it. He eventually found out from an unknown source, that it was another Roaring Season member Ross Hollings. He never mentioned that to Ross, but he did remind me when he last phoned me in August. Ross now lives in Western Australia and we will be getting together soon and I'm sure Les will be a topic of discussion.