PDA

View Full Version : Geelong Revival 2012

Rookie
12-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Did anyone here attend the Geelong Speed Trials held on the weekend? The event was last held in 2003.
I entered on the Sat as a historic sport sedan up to 1600cc (Group U), the only entrant in this category.

The last time I drove this car was in 91. Just finished a slow 5 year rebuild and only fired the engine up 5 days prior to the event. I took the car to Winton on Friday to make sure it was going to go, and bed in the engine, brakes & slicks. Car performed really well apart from a minor issue with the brakes.

Had a number of issues on Sat and only completed two slow runs, but at least I made it. Before the first run I fitted a new set of plugs which the engine didn't like, and refused to rev. Refitted the 21 year old plugs for the second run only to have the gear knob come off in my hand, and then it was all over. The left hand side of the dashboard is missing as I removed it, as I had some Lucas smoke comming from somewhere, which I was unable to trace.

Trying to keep it original had been fun. Original type spark plug are no longer made, as are the brake pads and oil i once used.

Anyway, here is my feeble attempt (the first run) at the event ending up with a 17.5 sec pass

http://youtu.be/fAs5xk5qy_s

Steve Holmes
12-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Hope you don't mind, I had to move this thread into General Discussion, such a great thread, I thought others would enjoy it also. Did you record any other runs?

Rookie
12-04-2012, 02:42 AM
Thanks Steve.

First time I've used the Go-Pro camera. The actually footage was shot in 1080HD but I had trouble loading a better quality to you-tube as the file size is huge.
Unfortunately no other runs. I have about 15min of pushing the car to the start line and back for the practise run, only to have a wire fall off on the ignition switch, and then the car failing to restart. I was recording the final run but the camera went dead just before the start line.

kiwi285
12-04-2012, 04:08 AM
All those issues would have done your confidence the world of good.

ITOW4U
04-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Yep went along to this one as well and also went to the previous event in 2003. Only running one car at a time per pass took a bit of the gloss off it campared to previous events but was still a great event despite a few startup issues on the Saturday.

My wife actually entered the event in her 1965 Prince Skyline - she bought it a couple of years ago from a gentleman in NSW who did a few HRA Road Rallies in it.
Lining up on the Dummy Grid

And on the starting line

She came 3rd in class and is getting back into motorsport and regularly competing in Hillclimbs and Sprints in a R32GTR

Steve Holmes
04-18-2013, 02:12 AM
Wow, thats awesome!