PDA

View Full Version : Photos: The Steve Twist Collection - Jack Inwood Photos

Steve Holmes
12-18-2012, 04:47 AM

As an addition to the large collection of historic New Zealand motor racing photos Steve Twist has sent me these past twelve months, is his collection of Jack Inwood photos.

This is a collection of 30 stunning Jack Inwood photos, which Steve has owned for many years, and wanted to share here on The Roaring Season. All the photos are of saloon cars, no single seaters, sorry. But they are stunning, and the collection provides an opportunity to appreciate the immense talent that Jack Inwood possessed, to capture these machines at their most magic, and most dramatic moments, so the viewer could gain a real appreciation of how hard these drivers were working, and all with the limited photographic technology that was available in the 1960s.

Jack was truly a master of his trade.

Steve Holmes
12-18-2012, 04:51 AM
Kicking off here is a beautiful shot from the 1966 season, with Ivan Segedin in the Fleetwood Motors Mustang, the first Mustang to race in NZ, leading eventual 1966 NZ Saloon Car Champion, Dave Simpson in the Lotus Anglia.

Steve Holmes
12-18-2012, 05:01 AM
This is Ernie Sprague in the impressive MkIII Zephyr that almost won the 1964 NZ Saloon Car Championship. Heading into the final round at Waimate, Sprague was leading the championship by 2 points from eventual winner Kerry Grant in a Cortina. There were two preliminary heats that would determine the starting positions for the main championship race. Grant won his heat, and Sprague was comfortably leading his, when he he stuffed the Zephyr into a stack of hay bales while trying to post the fastest time. The damage was such that he couldn't start the championship race, handing the title to Grant.

Steve Holmes
12-18-2012, 07:58 AM
The Ivan Segedin Mustang again. Note straps that appear to be holding the hood down, and that wrap around the front bumper. Note also the non-original hood scoop. This car always raced with the nose very high in the air, even when Dawson had it.

Steve Holmes
12-18-2012, 08:10 AM
The day Bob Jane came to town.................and Paul Fahey beat him. Bob Jane was brought across with his wicked 4.2 litre Jag MkII for the saloon car event at the 1965 NZIGP meeting. Janes Jag was still the fastest touring car in Australia at this stage, and he and Fahey put on a real show as they fought over the lead. Fahey reached turn one first, and was still in front when the Jag failed.

Murray Maunder
12-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the post Steve. Jack was an imposing figure, I recall, as a youngster at Baypark, with his stout build, big black beard, and, from memory, a Hasselblad around his neck. Pretty amazing photos those big old cameras used to produce and Jack knew how to find the "money shot". One of motor racing's finest.

jim short
12-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Steve Janes Jag ran a piston in practise{wrong fuel}.The Ford was stripped ,only driver seat the Jag even had the ashtray,and he only went out to get the start money,thats what he told me 5 yrs. ago then again he is an Aussie a bloody good one he gave me a ride at Phillip Island five yrs. ago.We started along side his mate in the big Chev Norm Beachey he charged $500 each and 5 payed up for one and a half laps Jan and I no charge he thought the world of Bruce Bob is pos.the only one who still has from new a McLaren Can Am car

Steve Holmes
12-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Thats a really good point Jim, the Jag had to race in Aus under Appendix J rules, which were very restrictive, I think it even had to retain the carpet! That being said, it was still a bloody fast car, and until Norm Beecheys new Mustang arrived in late January 1965, and got fully dialled in, Bobs Jag was usually the fastest touring car in Australia.

I didn't know Faheys Cortina was stripped out, I thought it still had its seats. But what you say makes sense, as the Allcomer rules would have allowed for the seats to be removed.

Steve Holmes
12-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Allcomer action from 1966. I'm taking a punt here, and guessing this is Jack Nazer in the foreground? Can one of you guys confirm either way? It looks like his car, but I've not seen those side stripes on his car before.

hilstwist
12-19-2012, 12:19 AM
I allways thought That it was Nazer, it had a light blue stripe accross the bottom of the bonnet. Also just to clarify the two photos with the Segedin Stang coming out of cabbage tree at levin I bought from the Evening post. They had those shots in the sunday paper. Remember the meetings were on a Saturday in those days.

Steve Holmes
12-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Thanks Steve, it certainly looks like the car Nazer raced during the 1965/66 season, but I've just found one of your photos that was posted here last year, of which appears to be the same car. David McKinney ID'd it as being Bryan Faloon on that thread.

bob homewood
12-19-2012, 02:45 AM
That is Robbie Francevic in the Nazer Anglia ,He won three races there that day Levin March 12th 1966 from memory he also broke the Saloon lap record that day and I believe the fast back behind is Frank Radisich

Allcomer action from 1966. I'm taking a punt here, and guessing this is Jack Nazer in the foreground? Can one of you guys confirm either way? It looks like his car, but I've not seen those side stripes on his car before.

Steve Holmes
12-19-2012, 03:07 AM
Thanks Bob, thats brilliant! Re the fastback, yep its definitely the Simpson/Radisich car, although you'd know better than I when Simpson sold the car to Radisich. Radisich later chopped the lid, but I believe he raced it for a while before this happened.

Steve Holmes
12-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Blast off for the 1967 3-Hour Challenge at Pukekohe. The Coppins/Ward Mustang took the win, from the Bryan/Silcock Mustang, after the Fahey/Palmer Mustang dropped out on lap 13 after breaking a con-rod, while the Robert Stewart/Clyde Collins Cooper S was third.

Check the size of the crowd!

bob homewood
12-19-2012, 03:29 AM
Yes I think that was possibly Franks first meeting in the Simpson car ,I would have to check to confirm that ,I know in one of the races he was behind Robbie ,the other big mover that meeting was Morrie Hogan in the Anglia Allardette ,he went Ok there that day

Steve Holmes
12-19-2012, 03:31 AM
OK, small capacity battle. The PDL team ran two cars during the 1968 season, with Robert Stewart contesting the 1001-1300cc class, while Clyde Collins was in the baby class. I'll take a punt and say this is Clyde Collins.

Would that be Jim Richards in behind?

Steve Holmes
12-19-2012, 03:41 AM
Yes I think that was possibly Franks first meeting in the Simpson car ,I would have to check to confirm that ,I know in one of the races he was behind Robbie ,the other big mover that meeting was Morrie Hogan in the Anglia Allardette ,he went Ok there that day

Thanks Bob thats excellent.

Trevor Sheffield
12-19-2012, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the post Steve. Jack was an imposing figure, I recall, as a youngster at Baypark, with his stout build, big black beard, and, from memory, a Hasselblad around his neck. Pretty amazing photos those big old cameras used to produce and Jack knew how to find the "money shot". One of motor racing's finest.

Correct --- Jack did not snap away with a 35 m.m. camera, he invested in his work and did not skimp on film. His medium format Hasselblad produced quality medium format negatives, which could be enlarged to a huge high quality print and there are several in existence. This dedication towards quality called for superior skills. He was both a motor racing enthusiast and a dedicated photographic artist.

He is sadly missed.

GD66
12-19-2012, 08:28 AM
... I'll take a punt and say this is Clyde Collins.
Would that be Jim Richards in behind?

I'm not sure the Anglia punter is the great Jim Richards, even early on he used to wear a silver helmet with a "105" number disc on the side, and with a peak. Normally he would wear #105, Stewart #40 and Collins #42, but I see the numbers for all the entrants in that three-hour race are all to buggery, so no help there. And as that looks like the loop on the Puke long circuit, it's probably that race.
(Awaits torrent of heated response...) :cool:

Lurker
12-19-2012, 09:07 AM
That is Robbie Francevic in the Nazer Anglia ,He won three races there that day Levin March 12th 1966 from memory he also broke the Saloon lap record that day and I believe the fast back behind is Frank Radisich

Bob, what was the story behind Robbie driving Jack's Anglia?

tonttu
12-19-2012, 09:26 AM
And as that looks like the loop on the Puke long circuit, it's probably that race.

Yes and to support GD66 if you look carefully the first of the Mini's in the photo of the 3 Hour Challenge is number 10 and has the same stripes so probably it is that race?

hilstwist
12-19-2012, 10:08 AM
actually several of the photos from this collection i have in the big 20"x16" size.Now i am a single man again I have several of them framed and on my walls,thats something that wasn't allowed before! I took photos of those and sent them to Steve to post on site

stubuchanan
12-19-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure the Anglia punter is the great Jim Richards, even early on he used to wear a silver helmet with a "105" number disc on the side, and with a peak. Normally he would wear #105, Stewart #40 and Collins #42, but I see the numbers for all the entrants in that three-hour race are all to buggery, so no help there. And as that looks like the loop on the Puke long circuit, it's probably that race.
(Awaits torrent of heated response...) :cool:

From a quick check through most of the Programmes for the 60's Wills / B & H / Gold Leaf 3 and 6 Hour Races, the numbering pattern seems to be that the cars were numbered from 1 to however many entries there were, starting at the highest engine capacity class and working down to lowest, and then any late entries. Numbers never got as high as 50, so the photo of Mini Cooper #70 and Anglia #90 must be from some other Pukekohe meeting, or maybe not even Pukekohe.

Stu

stubuchanan
12-19-2012, 11:29 AM
From a quick check through most of the Programmes for the 60's Wills / B & H / Gold Leaf 3 and 6 Hour Races, the numbering pattern seems to be that the cars were numbered from 1 to however many entries there were, starting at the highest engine capacity class and working down to lowest, and then any late entries. Numbers never got as high as 50, so the photo of Mini Cooper #70 and Anglia #90 must be from some other Pukekohe meeting, or maybe not even Pukekohe.

Stu

Perhaps I wasn't there that year, as I don't have a 1967 programme, and a look at Steve's post #14 of the 1967 start photo shows car #70 in about 5th place off the line. The same car, apparently with a roll cage of sorts. Does that help?

Stu

GeebeeNZ
12-19-2012, 11:31 AM

What greater confirmation can there be of Murrays description than a photo of Jack that i took from a video of the 1967 Wills 6 hr
Graeme

Grant Ellwood
12-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Bryan never fitted Sabrina headlight covers as he also used his racecar as a roadcar.

Thanks Steve, it certainly looks like the car Nazer raced during the 1965/66 season, but I've just found one of your photos that was posted here last year, of which appears to be the same car. David McKinney ID'd it as being Bryan Faloon on that thread.

GD66
12-19-2012, 03:49 PM
cars were numbered from 1 to however many entries there were, starting at the highest engine capacity class and working down to lowest, and then any late entries. Numbers never got as high as 50...Stu

That can't be right, Wen, there's no car in that leading bunch numbered under 50 ! And it's not just Puke, but also has a Wills advertising hoarding alongside the grid. Somewhere in an early thread on this forum there's a pic of Jim Palmer punting through the loop in the Fahey car numbered #52, I recall noting at the time that it was half the original #104...

Milan Fistonic
12-20-2012, 05:39 AM
In the 1967 Wills Challenge 3 Hour race car number 70 was driven by Robert Stewart and Clyde Collins and car number 90 was driven by Jim Richards and Bryan Richardson.

The cars in the 6 hour race were numbered from 1 to 45 starting with the largest capacity cars while the 3 hour race cars were numbered from 51 to 94 again starting with the big cars.

GD66
12-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Wonderful, thanks Milan. That being the case, I believe it's Richardson driving the Angular.

Rod Grimwood
12-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Wonderful, thanks Milan. That being the case, I believe it's Richardson driving the Angular.

i'd go a $ eachway on that.

Steve Holmes
12-31-2012, 03:42 AM
Thanks for clearing up that PDL Mini/Jim Richards Anglia question guys. I only guessed at it being the Clyde Collins Mini because all the pics I'd previously seen of the Stewart car showed it with licence plate fitted. But I didn't stop to think this could be from the same 3 Hour raced as also posted earlier in this thread. Well spotted!

Steve Holmes
12-31-2012, 03:44 AM
Two significant Mustangs. This is Paul Fahey leading Red Dawson (ex-Segedin). This was the third and final race season for the Segedin/Dawson car.

Note the different levels of body roll in each car. The Fahey car sits relatively flat, while the Dawson car is just about scraping the chrome off the door handles.

hilstwist
01-03-2013, 12:10 AM
I have a question for someone on this forum who will know. Did Bob Jane go from the MK2 Jag to the Mustang or did he race a Lotus Cortina?. As that seemed to have been the car to have at the time he came to Puke.Also in "the what happened to" category anyone know what happened to the Fahey Lotus Cortina? Is it still in existence?

GD66
01-03-2013, 12:58 AM
I have a question for someone on this forum who will know. Did Bob Jane go from the MK2 Jag to the Mustang or did he race a Lotus Cortina?.

Yes. In fact, he won Bathurst in one.

Jac Mac
01-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Two significant Mustangs. This is Paul Fahey leading Red Dawson (ex-Segedin). This was the third and final race season for the Segedin/Dawson car.

Note the different levels of body roll in each car. The Fahey car sits relatively flat, while the Dawson car is just about scraping the chrome off the door handles.

The Fahey car being an ex shelby race car would have had the top wishbone dropped at the chassis end along with a host of other shelby tweaks like heavy anti roll bar & springs, that explains the amount of neg camber @ droop on the Dawson car. took a while for some of the other mustang boys to catch on to that..

Steve Holmes
01-04-2013, 04:11 AM
Thanks Jac.

Steve Holmes
01-04-2013, 04:27 AM
I have a question for someone on this forum who will know. Did Bob Jane go from the MK2 Jag to the Mustang or did he race a Lotus Cortina?. As that seemed to have been the car to have at the time he came to Puke.Also in "the what happened to" category anyone know what happened to the Fahey Lotus Cortina? Is it still in existence?

Steve, from what I can gather, he bought the Lotus Cortina in 1964, but seemed to favour his Jaguar at the more important events that year. But CAMS dropped Appendix J for 1965 in favour of Improved Production, which limited how large engines could be stretched beyond what they were as standard, so he couldn't run his Jag with a 4.1 motor. He seems to have raced the Lotus Cortina in the early 1965 races, but with Norm Beecheys new Mustang appearing in late January, and immediately showing potential, both Jane and Pete Geoghegan ordered Mustangs from Shelby. Jane's Mustang was only just readied in time for the 1965 ATCC race at Sandown in May. He put it on pole, but had overheating problems.

I'm pretty sure he raced it again briefly after wrecking his Mustang at Catalina Park.

Steve Holmes
01-09-2013, 02:52 AM
Absolute ripper shot here of Dave Simpson blasting the little Lotus Anglia, front wheel cocked, and on his way to winning the 1966 NZ Saloon Car Championship. He appeared out of nowhere, and was gone again just as quickly.

Steve Holmes
01-09-2013, 03:01 AM
And here is Simpson again, chasing arch-rival Paul Fahey in his similar car at Pukekohe. This pair dominated the season, winning every championship race between them, and while the performances of these two cars was quite even, in the end, Simpson walked it, winning 6 of the 7 championship races. His season points tally was 63 from a possible 70, while Fahey in second was back on 31. Reliability was really what separated them.

SPman
01-28-2013, 04:58 AM
The man himself - as I remember him - at work, Bay Park, 1969

Allan
01-28-2013, 09:11 AM
I was fortunate to work with Jack back in the late 1970s. An interesting character and a great person. His Christmas card list was a thing of immense satisfaction and sadness to him as many of those who would send cards to him one year did not survive to send one the next. Well known and well liked by the motorsport fraternity and sadly missed.

Steve Holmes
01-29-2013, 01:01 AM
Alrighty, time for another update. This is another photo from the 1965 NZIGP event at Pukekohe in which Bob Jane raced his MkII Jag against the Kiwi tin tops. This appears to be lap 1, with Jane being harassed by Rod Coppins and (I think?) Robbie Franicevic.

hilstwist
01-29-2013, 04:53 AM
In the Euan Sargison collection there is a photo taken of those same cars taken from what looks like the top of that shed! could that be euan on top there? Fahey is out of shot out front!

Steve Holmes
01-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Good question Steve. But you're right, there are a couple of very well known photos taken right at this moment by Euan from what could be the top of that building.

Steve Holmes
01-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Stunning shot this, capturing Ivan Segedin in the Fleetwood Motors Mustang. Just check out the quality of this photo, and the level of detail Jack had managed to capture. Just so impressive!

hilstwist
01-30-2013, 11:33 PM
This is at Renwick. It,s great that the stang looks just like that today!

Rod Grimwood
02-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Stunning shot this, capturing Ivan Segedin in the Fleetwood Motors Mustang. Just check out the quality of this photo, and the level of detail Jack had managed to capture. Just so impressive!

This must have been same meeting, same tape, same bonnet restraint, and same stance.

Steve Holmes
02-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Yep, I reckon you'd be right there Rod. Was Renwick where it made its race debut?

Oldfart
02-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Don't think so Steve, I believe it was the Gold Leaf 3hr. 65 But then again as I am a tosser who knows nothing...

Steve Holmes
02-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks Rhys, you're probably right about that race date, just thought I read somewhere it made its debut at Renwick. Should really just get off my arse and go look!

hilstwist
02-04-2013, 01:50 AM
I think the "tosser" is right. but i would be interested to know how it got on in both races? Anyone recall? Any photos from the Puke race exist? I would be very surprised if it lasted the 3 hr distance??!! Who and what won that one. Anyone remember?

Oldfart
02-04-2013, 02:23 AM
I think the "tosser" is right. but i would be interested to know how it got on in both races? Anyone recall? Any photos from the Puke race exist? I would be very surprised if it lasted the 3 hr distance??!! Who and what won that one. Anyone remember?

Well I have some photos I took at that event, but can't remember outcomes. I suspect it should be in the posts Grimmy did from the Shell albums?

Steve Holmes
02-04-2013, 02:29 AM
Yep, you're right Rhys. The Mustang was on pole, was leading after 2 of the 3 hours, but the brakes cooked and it retired.

Dave Silcock
02-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Don't think so Steve, I believe it was the Gold Leaf 3hr. 65 But then again as I am a tosser who knows nothing...

Welcome back Rhys. I was racing one of my XKs at that Renwick meeting and remember the nose lifting antics of the Mustang caused much amusement. What did impress everyone was the A40 of Kerry Grant, not to memtion his driving of same, as he harried the Mustang along. Can't remember if he passed it or not. I think this was the time I elected to sit a trade exam in Blenhiem, so when the time drew near I just drove the XK from Renwick to Blenhiem and returned after the exam. Had to teach an SP 250 driver a thing or two on the way home to CH CH. Nice bit of road those Conway Flats. Where have those days gone.

Steve Holmes
02-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Thanks Dave, I always really enjoy your stories and input into these threads.

Steve Holmes
02-15-2013, 12:56 AM
What a monster! Robbie Francevic powers up the big 427ci Fairlane at Bay Park, chased by Rod Coppins in the ex-Geoghegan Mustang. I can only imagine the noise this car must have produced!

rogered
02-15-2013, 01:38 AM
is this thing still MIA or does somebody know what happened to it?????????

Steve Holmes
02-15-2013, 01:45 AM
One of our members on here (can't remember who though now?) told me it was converted back to a road car, then later stored in a shed which caught fire and burnt to the ground, taking the Fairlane with it.

Jac Mac
02-15-2013, 02:44 AM
That would have been me, car was crushed with a bulldozer & buried along with a lot of other stuff in the Charlton Auto Yard Gore, area in Question is now part of southland Tractors display yard, if your travelling south for SFOS today and want to shed a tear or two in memory!:) Believe me it was stuffed before it was crushed, the heat had buckled/lowered the roof & everything was heat treated, I managed to salvage the front 4pot calipers after making up some special jigs to pull the pistons out & PDL got most of the top loader bits when they were racing PDL1 &2. On strip down we found the needle rollers in the layshaft had been replaced with bronze bush's, obviously a 'quick' fix between meets that never got addressed. that said it was a car I would have liked to replicate, but never managed to talk anyone into doing so, would have been a lot more interesting than some of the other stuff Ive had to fix recently...

Grant Sprague
02-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks Steve, I only just joined roaring season , lots of these pics I have never seen , I was a kid about 9 or 10 when I went up north with Mum & Dad to be in the action , My other brother Gary , Wayne & sister Sharon were flown up to be with our aunty &uncle , & were to join up with us after opening round at Puke , at Mt Maunganui. I have some pics I can add later .
I saw some where my old sparing partner Steve Empson is here I have a few pics to add to the fiat 128s castrol GTX days we were good at leaning hard over the front seats [changing corner wieghts lol] with lose belts as to try & keep them from tipping over , as I did at private testing at Levels I dont think I ever told Steve about that , fun years they were. Great stuff Thanks Grant Sprague

Grant Sprague
02-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Yes remember him so well , lovely man ........................ part of the action for many many year was always about also Allen Dick..

Grant Sprague
02-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Yes , I'm sure Bob is correct , the front looks so similar to the car Ernie got off Frank & ended up racing for many years in the south island with brother Gary doing most of the driving sharing with Dad ..

Rod Grimwood
02-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Good to have you here Grant, a couple of stories to tell no doubt from your sheltered up bringing.
cheers

Steve Holmes
02-18-2013, 10:01 PM
That would have been me, car was crushed with a bulldozer & buried along with a lot of other stuff in the Charlton Auto Yard Gore, area in Question is now part of southland Tractors display yard, if your travelling south for SFOS today and want to shed a tear or two in memory!:) Believe me it was stuffed before it was crushed, the heat had buckled/lowered the roof & everything was heat treated, I managed to salvage the front 4pot calipers after making up some special jigs to pull the pistons out & PDL got most of the top loader bits when they were racing PDL1 &2. On strip down we found the needle rollers in the layshaft had been replaced with bronze bush's, obviously a 'quick' fix between meets that never got addressed. that said it was a car I would have liked to replicate, but never managed to talk anyone into doing so, would have been a lot more interesting than some of the other stuff Ive had to fix recently...

Thanks Jac, yes I thought it might have been you. Damn, what a shame, such a cool car!

Steve Holmes
02-18-2013, 10:09 PM
From the monstrous Francevic Fairlane, to the opposite end of the spectrum. I had to do a bit of digging to gather info on these two cars, but from what I've been able to figure out, this is the 3-Hour Gold Leaf Challenge race, held prior to the 1965 Wills 6-Hour race. The leading Cooper S is that of Frank Hamlin/Murray Charles, chased by Andrew Buchanan/Hamish Buchanan. The Hamlin/Charles car finished 2nd. The Buchanan car had brake problems which delayed it.

But reading the rego number on the Buchanan car, this car was also raced in 1965 by Dr Dick Langley. So did the Buchanan's own the car and sell it to Langley, or did he already own it and they leased it from him?

Steve Holmes
02-26-2013, 04:12 AM
My thanks to Andrew Buchanan for getting back to me regarding the Cooper S pictured above. See Andrews email below:

"Hi Steve

Sorry to have been so slow but have been away.

The car behind is indeed my brother Hamishs car and he and I did that race together. I think we started the race with half worn brake pads and after keeping up with Franks car (with new brake pads) I handed Hamish back his car without any brakes left !!

Hamish did buy the car from Dr Dick

Must catch up sometime

kind regards
Andy"

Steve Holmes
02-26-2013, 04:32 AM
Here is Kerry Grants rapid little A40, complete with slippery nose. I assume the hole in the headlight is to let air into the engine bay?

Rod Grimwood
02-27-2013, 05:12 AM
Could be for the Carbs Steves, direct cold air in.

Steve Holmes
02-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks Rod, yeah I figured that might have been the case.

Steve Holmes
02-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Superb shot here of Ivan Segedin in NZ's first racing Mustang. This appears to be from the 1967 season, the second season Segedin raced the car. By now the front wheel openings had been radiused out to fit larger tyres. Segedin ran the car this season as an Allcomer, rather than a Group 2 car as he had done the previous season. I'd guess this was early in the season, as it gradually got uglier as the season progressed, with the exhausts eventually sprouting up through the hood, and a funny looking droop-snoot type extension on the nose, that looked like the hull off a boat.

hilstwist
02-27-2013, 11:42 PM
I allways wondered where this shot was taken but thought maybe what was known then as railway corner at Puke?

Murray Maunder
02-28-2013, 02:14 AM
I allways wondered where this shot was taken but thought maybe what was known then as railway corner at Puke?

Definitely not Puke. Looking at the kerb it must be a street circuit (plus the haybales are usually street circuit). Just before my time but the only high profile street meet I recall that year would have been Waimate but that doesn't ring bells visually.

Steve Holmes
03-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Here is Pete Geoghegan gunning the Mustang at the 1966 New Zealand Grand Prix event where he was imported to take on the local Allcomer cars in the GP support races. Despite the local cars being pretty radical, and the two Lotus twin-cam powered Anglia's of Dave Simpson and Paul Fahey having dominated NZ saloon car racing throughout the 1966 season, Geoghegan blew everyone away. Could this have been the catalyst for Fahey buying his Mustang a few months later?

Steve Holmes
03-12-2013, 12:59 AM
Ford muscle line-up, as Paul Fahey leads Red Dawson in the ex-Ivan Segedin Mustang, Robbie Francevic in the big block 427 Fairlane, and Frank Bryan in the '67 Shelby that Red would take over the next season.

Steve Holmes
03-12-2013, 01:01 AM
More battling Mustangs. Rod Coppins in the ex-Pete Geoghegan car leads a crossed-up Paul Fahey. What a neat shot!

Steve Holmes
04-16-2013, 04:53 AM
Bout time I resurrected this thread. This is Paul Fahey in his fabulous Lotus Cortina, during the 1965 season. Where is this car now?

Rod Grimwood
04-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Definitely not Puke. Looking at the kerb it must be a street circuit (plus the haybales are usually street circuit). Just before my time but the only high profile street meet I recall that year would have been Waimate but that doesn't ring bells visually.

Think it is Railway corner at Puke, it had curbs on inside for a while before they put the short cut in. Remember good inside curbs on the club curcuit part.

Rod Grimwood
04-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Bout time I resurrected this thread. This is Paul Fahey in his fabulous Lotus Cortina, during the 1965 season. Where is this car now?

There was a big debate about who was driving an Anglia at Puke awhile back, looking at that helmet it could reignite.

Milan Fistonic
04-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Superb shot here of Ivan Segedin in NZ's first racing Mustang. This appears to be from the 1967 season, the second season Segedin raced the car. By now the front wheel openings had been radiused out to fit larger tyres. Segedin ran the car this season as an Allcomer, rather than a Group 2 car as he had done the previous season. I'd guess this was early in the season, as it gradually got uglier as the season progressed, with the exhausts eventually sprouting up through the hood, and a funny looking droop-snoot type extension on the nose, that looked like the hull off a boat.

Hilstwist

Murray Maunder

Definitely Railway Corner. This is an Inwood shot from the 1966 B & H that shows the same kerb, same fence and hay bales.

Steve Holmes
04-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Rod Coppins in the former Pete Geoghegan Mustang, in typical nose-up fashion.

AMCO72
04-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Right, and could somebody on here please tell me WHY all these Mustangs have that 'nose up' attitude.........and don't tell me it is the neck-snapping acceleration that is doing it !!!!!!......weak springs/shocks ??????????????? I need to know. Seems like something that should/could have been rectified when they first raced.

Grant Sprague
04-17-2013, 02:15 AM
Yep you are right old type long travelling shocks , springs etc etc , We ran a mustang in pre 65 never had that problem with up to date technology..... eg if you jacked the front of say Red Dawsons mustang under the front cross member you might have it a foot high & the front wheels will still be on the ground imagine the bump steer in those old cars , Ernies mk 3 would be similar until they researched ........... Our car you could say jack it up the same & the wheels would travel a few inches up after the chassis is raised , showing that minimum travel ..........

Rod Grimwood
04-17-2013, 02:44 AM
Right, and could somebody on here please tell me WHY all these Mustangs have that 'nose up' attitude.........and don't tell me it is the neck-snapping acceleration that is doing it !!!!!!......weak springs/shocks ??????????????? I need to know. Seems like something that should/could have been rectified when they first raced.

All the piss in the boot for the Bar b

Steve Holmes
04-18-2013, 02:17 AM
Yep you are right old type long travelling shocks , springs etc etc , We ran a mustang in pre 65 never had that problem with up to date technology..... eg if you jacked the front of say Red Dawsons mustang under the front cross member you might have it a foot high & the front wheels will still be on the ground imagine the bump steer in those old cars , Ernies mk 3 would be similar until they researched ........... Our car you could say jack it up the same & the wheels would travel a few inches up after the chassis is raised , showing that minimum travel ..........

It did seem to be a common theme on the early Mustangs didn't it Grant. But they soon started getting the nose closer to the ground. Just look at any old photos of the Kar-Kraft 1969 Mustang fastback race cars, in particular Allan Moffats which had the front sheet metal spliced to get the nose right in the dirt for better aerodynamics.

That Coppins Mustang was the ex-Pete Geoghegan car and broke all sorts of Australian touring car records. It was a pretty well sorted car by all accounts, but I also wonder if part of the reason for its success was Pete himself. He was quite the peddler!

hilstwist
04-19-2013, 01:39 AM
Paul Fahey or his engineer sorted the handling of his Shelby Mustang pretty quick though as it didn"t seem to have it's nose in the air under acceleration like the the Segiden/Dawson and Coppins cars.

John McKechnie
04-19-2013, 04:13 AM
Fahey bought a Shelby- a racing car. Segedins was a road car.
Geoghegan told Coppins not to touch the suspension as it was fully sorted.

Kiwiboss
04-19-2013, 08:20 AM

Only NZ Mustangs got this special "nose up option" it was called the "Mini killer kit", was designed to scare the "bee-gee-us" out of all the Mini drivers lookin in the rear view mirror, a "Big Growling" Mustang about to pounce on them, eat them up and spit them out!! :)

Your lucky to still be around Gerald :) LOL

LOL Dale M LOL

hilstwist
04-19-2013, 11:08 PM
I recall that at the time that the Fahey mustang had not only the BOAC stripes put on it between seasons but I remember thinking at the time that it seemed a little lower and handled a little flatter.Maybe it was all in my mind!

Grant Sprague
04-19-2013, 11:15 PM
All the piss in the boot for the Bar b Ha hahahha , yea well you might be right , Good one Rod love yr humour

Grant Sprague
04-19-2013, 11:28 PM
One other thing
Ha hahahha , yea well you might be right , Good one Rod love yr humour One other thing I was told by some one whom I loved & respected & still do [FE !] , was to get my cars to stop & turn properly before having all the power .......hence not being able to stop & turn ,then go from there , the correct package normally sees chequered flag often .[ with out predudice]

paul lancaster
04-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Hi grant, shit, this site gets more addictive the more time I spend on it.great to see all the old pics of them golden days.hope all is well with you and your family

Grant Sprague
04-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Hi grant, shit, this site gets more addictive the more time I spend on it.great to see all the old pics of them golden days.hope all is well with you and your family Hi Paul yes it is just fantastic thanks to Steve etc in fact every one is rekindling our winter fires lol , I will try & get some pics on here of my last car [Mustang] comparing to the way it was & now . Just having probs down loading but will get there.
Paul my family are just great thank you for asking , you wil know Wayne & Sharon are good down in the south , I was talking to Gary yesterday in Perth he is in process of shifting to different location in Perth he is good also hope this finds you happy & healthy .. Grant

Rodger Anderson
05-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Yes Murray and Steve. My Brother worked with Jack and I remember at the time of Instant Coffee advertising, he sent out Xmas cards with a picture of himself with no beard and the caption "Instant Inwood, just ad whiskers". Great sense of humour and a great guy not to mention a great Photographer.

BMCBOY
05-08-2013, 10:23 AM

Steve Emson
05-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Great seeing all the mustang shots.Of course I grew up seeing the Fahey mustang (Dads business partner) at P & R Motors now and again. There was often some panels stored upstairs in the loft also.
I loved all the big banger racing back then. I guess that is why I have a 66 GT and a 69 fastback in the garage. Moffats car was just the business! The 69 shape really appeals.
Jack was a familiar site at all the events back then.

Steve Holmes
05-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Just for you Steve, the Fahey Mustang as it first raced in NZ during the 1967 season. Fahey had the wheel arches radiused to allow more clearance for the big tyres. He was made to correct this the following season when NZ switched to Group 5 rules.

Oldfart
05-09-2013, 02:29 AM

Hey Shag, this photo is nowhere near as good as yours!