PDA

View Full Version : Race Programmes 66'-67' with Broadspeed Mini

lisian_1275
01-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Hi Guys

I am after some info from Race Programmes 66'-67' that have the Broadspeed Mini of Stewart/Foley in them.
I am curious to see which class or classes it was entered under, other than Sports Racing Closed if at all.

Thanks

Ian

Powder
01-03-2013, 12:03 AM
I don't have any Australian race programmes from this period but I do have an article from a magazine called Hottest Minis (circa 1990) that covers some of the cars history and restoration. The only class mentioned in the article is 'Sports Racing Closed'. I'm happy to scan the article and email it to you if you like.

Malcolm

lisian_1275
01-03-2013, 07:38 AM
Hi Malcolm
If you wouldn't mind, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Greg Mackie
01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Ian, why not take a drive 'up the hill' to the Southern Highlands, and ask Laurie Stewart? Laurie owns the local taxi service.

Cheers, Greg

Steve Holmes
01-04-2013, 04:32 AM
I don't have any Australian race programmes from this period but I do have an article from a magazine called Hottest Minis (circa 1990) that covers some of the cars history and restoration. The only class mentioned in the article is 'Sports Racing Closed'. I'm happy to scan the article and email it to you if you like.

Malcolm

Sports Racing Closed is what eventually became Sports Sedans. Basically for more heavily modified saloons or those not fitting the Improved Production or Series Production rules.

lisian_1275
01-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Gee's Greg, that is great news. I didn't know he was that local.
Thanks Again
Ian
Hi Steve
Yep thats correct, I am just hoping it competed in some different classes just in case I could swing it to run in a certain Historic class here.

Thanks

Ian

Roger Dowding
01-07-2013, 11:14 AM
There was, maybe still is, a green Broadspeed Mini, with the curved roofline, believe it got T boned at a meeting in NZ back in the early 70's but was rebuilt, they described them as " Mini " - excuse the pun Aston Martin DB6, because of the rear shape

lisian_1275
01-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks Roger,
Soooooo then, does anyone here know of this or maybe the where abouts of this car?

Thanks

Ian

Roger Dowding
01-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Ian , Iisian_1275, may need some time to dig out my information [ photo's ] as do remember a silver grey one which was de-seamed and had a cut down roof , was presumed to be a Broadspeed still in the normal Mini shape, then the Green one which had the fastback roof, think that is still running in NZ. There was avery strong Mini - 7, group, started in the early 1970's by Reg Cook and a few others [ I was at the inagural meeting to get Mini 7 as a class off the ground ], Reg went on to race Datsun 1200's and bigger stuff, he built the first rollbar for my Austin-Healey Sprite in 1975 so I could go Hillclimbing and Sprintng.

lisian_1275
01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi Roger,
That would be great if you could. The silver grey Mini could have been a Broadspeed modified car as opposed to the GTS, GT 2+2 Broadspeed. Fastback type.
Do you still race here in Australia?

Thanks
Ian

Steve Holmes
01-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Ian , Iisian_1275, may need some time to dig out my information [ photo's ] as do remember a silver grey one which was de-seamed and had a cut down roof , was presumed to be a Broadspeed still in the normal Mini shape, then the Green one which had the fastback roof, think that is still running in NZ. There was avery strong Mini - 7, group, started in the early 1970's by Reg Cook and a few others [ I was at the inagural meeting to get Mini 7 as a class off the ground ], Reg went on to race Datsun 1200's and bigger stuff, he built the first rollbar for my Austin-Healey Sprite in 1975 so I could go Hillclimbing and Sprintng.

Roger, could either of these be the car you're referring to with the cut down roof? These are Tony Gilbertsons and Frank Hamlins cars which raced late 1960s.