PDA

View Full Version : First Post

macpac
01-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Hi All

I was wondering whether anybody would have photo's of my father Bruce McLean? He raced a Lotus Cortina in the 60's against Rod Coppins, Paul Fahey, Red Dawson etc and later ran a V6 Capri and also a pretty quick XB Falcon. He also competed in many Wills 6 hour and B & H 6 hour races driving predominantely with his business partner Barry Phillips. Any Pics would be greatly appreciated.
I also competed in the Production Supercar class back approx 1980 in a Green E49 Charger with Dad who at that stage had an XB Falcon and uncle Trevor McLean who also had an E49 and then a Holden Commodore. If anybody has any Pics of my E49 they would also be greatly appreciated.
I moved from Auckland to the Gold Coast in 1998 and am currently building a 72 Z28 Comaro to run in the Trans Am class over here which at this stage is a QUeensland based class only, but is growing fairly rapidly. Several Kiwi's are running cars actually, maybe it has something to do with being starved of motorsport back in NZ (and maybe climate).
Anyway I look forward to any correspondence and Pics. Thanks in advance.

Steve McLean

fullnoise68
01-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Hi Steve, I have probably got some photos of some of your dads cars, I`ll have a look for you. Bob Homewood may also have some. My father in law Barry Pointon had quite a bit to do with your dad both socially and helping him with his racing. Post some photos of your Camaro on here when you get time. I don`t think your dad would approve as he was always a Ford man!!!

Rod Grimwood
01-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Photo from Wigram 1969

Rod Grimwood
01-07-2013, 09:30 AM

John McKechnie
01-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Barry Phillips is still around and going strong. Either he or his son could help you.

bob homewood
01-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Yes I would have some for sure ,apart from knowing your Dad in later years ,I used to go over to George Dixon's farm on Sunday afternoon.s real early sixties when your Dad had a black Ford V8 Sedan ,I had a Chev Coupe at the time and we used to run the "Paerata Grand Prix " in Georges hay paddock after the hay had been cut ,if any one ever finds any photos of those afternoons I quite often chuckle about the discussion that will go on about where the race meeting was held ,some times it was like a whose who of motor racing in those times ,also once or twice we blew up the engine in some old old wreck for a bit of fun

macpac
01-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Hi Rod

Thanks so much for the picture and info - it's awesome as it is the first picture I have ever seen. Shame they didn't get his name right in the article. Looking at the points he drove pretty good considering it was a 4 cylinder.

Regards
Steve McLean

Rod Grimwood
01-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Your dad in close company with Barry 1968

Rod Grimwood
01-07-2013, 10:07 AM

And yes they did get some names wrong way back then, I used to watch him in the Cortina, unreal always wagging a wheel.

J42E48
01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
I also competed in the Production Supercar class back approx 1980 in a Green E49 Charger with Dad who at that stage had an XB Falcon and uncle Trevor McLean who also had an E49 and then a Holden Commodore. If anybody has any Pics of my E49 they would also be greatly appreciated.

Hi Steve,

Was your E49 factory green (limelight)? I have some photos of Trevors vitimen C E38 which perhaps is the one your refering to?

macpac
01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks some much for the response. I sent you a reply but it doesn't seem to be showing up anywhere so if I have replied to you twice I'm sorry. The name Barry Pointon is familiar to me but trying to put a face to the name is a bit of a struggle. Yes I don't think he would be super happy about the Comaro because he definately was a Ford man through and through. It is currently a shell that has been sand blasted, roll cage, seat, pedal box and fuel tank fitted and the tunnel modified so it can take any kind of gearbox. I will post some pics though.

macpac
01-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi Rod

Thanks so much for the awesome Pic and info. Shame they could get his name right. The 4 cylinders went alright against the Mustang back then.

Cheers Steve

macpac
01-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks John. I think maybe my mum still sees the Phillip's very occasionally.

macpac
01-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Hi Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob. I do remember your name from the motor racing. I do remeber a lot of the names because I got taken to the races from when I was about 2 or 3 years of age. I think my mum may have the odd picture of way back then. I will ask next time I speak with her.

macpac
01-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Sorry not to sure but I think so. Trevor purchased it and let me run it. The guy who owned it before him had been racing it but it got repossed with a conrod hanging out the side of the block. We put another engine in it and I ran it for a season. I had sponsorship from Captain Snooze water beds. I got pole at Manfield the first time I ever drove on the circuit and Trevor was beside me on the front row. I also ran it at Baypark and Pukekohe.

Cheers Steve

John B
01-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Hi Steve,
I'm intrigued by your comment "...maybe it has something to do with being starved of motorsport back in NZ (and maybe climate)."
What exactly do you mean by that?
Cheers, John

macpac
01-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Hi John

I guess what I mean is that when I lived in NZ the motor racing season was approx october through to about March were as over here because the whether is a little better we race from February/March through to November/December.

Cheers Steve

hilstwist
01-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I think the Lotus Cortina in the photo of The Jack Inwood thread.Wills 3 hrs is your fathers.Partnering with your Uncle maybe?

macpac
01-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Thanks hilstwist. Being new here I am struggling to find my way around (must be a bit technologically challenged) Lol. Can you steer me in the direction of where I go to see the photo please?

fullnoise68
01-08-2013, 02:39 AM
Steve, if you look on the top right corner of the main forum page, where it says Advanced Search, type in your dads name, or Jack Inwood, or whoever you are looking to read about, and that will get you around the site, and you`ll pick it up from there.

hilstwist
01-08-2013, 04:12 AM
or click on "read more" on the home page under the photo of Coppins Zephyr at Waimate and read more on the next part. the same for all the other main collections that Steve H has put on the site

macpac
01-08-2013, 04:18 AM
Thanks for that.

macpac
01-08-2013, 04:26 AM
Can anybody explain to me why some of the names a blacked out please?

Steve Emson
01-08-2013, 04:44 AM
Hi Steve, It was great talking to you the other night. A pleasant surprise. If you hang around with John long enough you will never get away from racing! I thought you may like to see your old car that you bought from us. It is a pity you didn't get it set up like it was when I raced it. Anyway great to see you on here.

fullnoise68
01-08-2013, 05:00 AM
Can anybody explain to me why some of the names a blacked out please?

Steve, the names that are blacked out are the name that you typed in. They are easier to use as a reference that way.

Steve Holmes
01-08-2013, 05:20 AM
Steve, its good to see you on here, welcome to the site! Sorry I can't help with the pics you're after, but there is an interesting thread started by Vern Muller on production muscle car racing of the 80s and 90s here: http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?856-quot-Production-Supercars-quot-of-the-late-70-s-early-80-s

John B
01-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Hi John

I guess what I mean is that when I lived in NZ the motor racing season was approx October through to about March, where as over here, because the weather is a little better, we race from February/March through to November/December.

Cheers Steve

That must have been a long time ago Steve. Our Winter Series, club racing and regional events means that we race 12 months of the year.

Not sure if I agree that you Aussies have 'better' weather! We're happy not to have temperatures in the 40's, cyclones, drought, and bushfires.

macpac
01-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Hi Steve

It was great talking with you too after so many years. Gheez the 1200 coupe brings back some memories. It was a great car but I am sure you already know that considering it was yours first. I can't wait to get the Comaro going but it may be a slower process than I had anticipated due to not having a real job at present. Anyway we must catch up for a coffee or beer some time soon.

macpac
01-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the link Steve and your welcome. I have been around the motor racing scene because of Dad and Trevor since I could walk, so about 50 years. It is great to see all the pics and articles of all the Comaro's and Mustangs etc on this site. It brings back many memories.

macpac
01-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Yes it seems like a long while ago now so I am sure things have chaged. I guess I was referring to how it was back when I left NZ, so I'm glad it has changed. The summers can get a little hot but it's only for a couple of months and thats what they make air conditioning for.
You guy's will have some of the Trans Am Skippy's over their shortly. Should be some good racing.

macpac
01-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Thanks for that.

macpac
01-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Steve, its good to see you on here, welcome to the site! Sorry I can't help with the pics you're after, but there is an interesting thread started by Vern Muller on production muscle car racing of the 80s and 90s here: http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?856-quot-Production-Supercars-quot-of-the-late-70-s-early-80-s

Thanks for the link Steve and the welcome. I hope I get this right I have been replying to everybodies posts but I think I need to put the original message their also, so people can see I have replied. Hopefully I have done this right. It looks like I may not be as technologically challenged as first thought.

macpac
01-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Hi Steve, It was great talking to you the other night. A pleasant surprise. If you hang around with John long enough you will never get away from racing! I thought you may like to see your old car that you bought from us. It is a pity you didn't get it set up like it was when I raced it. Anyway great to see you on here.

Hi Steve

It was great talking with you too after so many years. Gheez the 1200 coupe brings back some memories. It was a great car but I am sure you already know that considering it was yours first. I can't wait to get the Comaro going but it may be a slower process than I had anticipated due to not having a real job at present. Anyway we must catch up for a coffee or beer some time soon.

macpac
01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
That must have been a long time ago Steve. Our Winter Series, club racing and regional events means that we race 12 months of the year.

Not sure if I agree that you Aussies have 'better' weather! We're happy not to have temperatures in the 40's, cyclones, drought, and bushfires.

Yes it seems like a long while ago now so I am sure things have chaged. I guess I was referring to how it was back when I left NZ, so I'm glad it has changed. The summers can get a little hot but it's only for a couple of months and thats what they make air conditioning for.
You guy's will have some of the Trans Am Skippy's over their shortly. Should be some good racing.

macpac
01-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Steve, the names that are blacked out are the name that you typed in. They are easier to use as a reference that way.

Thanks for that.

macpac
01-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Hi Steve,

Was your E49 factory green (limelight)? I have some photos of Trevors vitimen C E38 which perhaps is the one your refering to?

Sorry not to sure but I think so. Trevor purchased it and let me run it. The guy who owned it before him had been racing it but it got repossed with a conrod hanging out the side of the block. We put another engine in it and I ran it for a season. I had sponsorship from Captain Snooze water beds. I got pole at Manfield the first time I ever drove on the circuit and Trevor was beside me on the front row (he wasn't happy). I also ran it at Baypark and Pukekohe.

Cheers Steve

J42E48
01-08-2013, 09:35 AM
and uncle Trevor McLean who also had an E49

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z379/BigTankE48/ashockE38c.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z379/BigTankE48/IP4188.jpg

macpac
01-08-2013, 10:04 AM
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z379/BigTankE48/ashockE38c.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z379/BigTankE48/IP4188.jpg

Thanks so much for the awesome pic J42E48. Much appreciated.

GPBK
01-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Bruce McLean 1967. One of the good guys.

macpac
01-15-2013, 03:56 AM
Bruce McLean 1967. One of the good guys.

Thanks so much for the great Pic of my dad GPBK. Yes he was one of the good guy's and got taken far to early along with his good mate Rod Coppins. I miss him a lot and have done for many years.

Rod Grimwood
01-15-2013, 08:32 AM
A photo from Nigel Watts from the Festival last year one of uncles Commodores

macpac
01-15-2013, 11:33 AM
A photo from Nigel Watts from the Festival last year one of uncles Commodores

Thanks Rod and Nigel for the awesome pic. It's much appreciated.