PDA

View Full Version : What happened to all the Breadvan Anglia's?

Javman
05-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Anyone got some photos of the Breadvan Anglia's .
I heard recently that the Dave Simpson car is being restored?
Someone told me that Jack Nazers Anglia was scrapped and the running gear put into his Mk1 Cortina.

Craig

Steve Holmes
05-26-2011, 02:28 AM
I heard a dubious mustachioed Westie has the Fahey car?

Hadn't heard anything about the Simpson car. I assumed it was long gone? Would love to know more.

Neil Doyle also had one, with a small block Chevy. That one ended up in the South Island and driven by Alex Dickie, but these cars were all outlawed from OSCA after 1972. Dickie built a Victor and I think some of the running gear from the Anglia was put in this.

The Nazer car seems to have vanished immediately following the last Allcomer season.

Most were fairly well useless after 1972, once OSCA had banned all the old Allcomers. There was nowhere to race them and they couldn't really be adapted for road use because there was nowhere to fit headlights.

pallmall
05-26-2011, 02:44 AM
The Fahey/Ward car was at the Amon Festival, the Nazer car was totalled against the bank at Levin, be great to see the Simpson and Doyle cars restored, should they still exist.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/Motor%20Racing%20Saloons/002750x499.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/Motor%20Racing%20Saloons/001750x643.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/Motor%20Racing%20Saloons/078750x412.jpg

Steve Holmes
05-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Here are a couple of period shots of the Simpson and Fahey Anglias both from the Steve twist collection that can be found elsewhere on this forum.

Steve Holmes
05-26-2011, 03:20 AM
I thought there were only four Breadvan Anglias, as listed above, but these shots show a fifth. Does anyone know anything about the red with white stripes car in these shots?

pallmall
05-26-2011, 05:54 AM
Just looked through the Levin book, there is a #92 Anglia of D H Hamill and a #92 Anglia of G Huxford they don't fit in with the other car numbers though. Will do some more concentrated research later.

kiwi285
05-26-2011, 07:16 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/15iv12.jpg

Heres the man himself with the car. Taken at Hampton Downs

pallmall
05-26-2011, 07:26 AM
I guess the key is when was the Zephyr Corvette blue?
Its first season before being painted white and gaining the stacks?

The only meeting the entry list matches anything close to the other car numbers is November 1966 for G.Huxford.
In March 1968 there is a fastback Anglia #92 for RJ Slacke from Masterton.

The other possibilities are that it is the Radisich car before it got the droop front, was it ever Red?
Is it the ex Sipmson car, where did that go to?

I haven't got a full enough collection of Motorman or Autonews anymore.

Steve Holmes
05-26-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm pretty sure those shots are from the 1966/67 season Gavin, after Coppins had sold the car. Or at the very least, post-1966 season. Could be anytime after that.

pallmall
05-26-2011, 07:49 AM
According to the Levin entry lists then it can only be March 1968, although the listing for 141 is Coppins in the Mustang.

bob homewood
05-26-2011, 08:12 AM

bob homewood
05-26-2011, 09:25 AM
This is all from a very distant memory of that meeting ,but maybe some one can check with Wayne Huxford and see if that is Garys car ,I can sort of remember another fast back one being around at that time ,also although Rod is in the program with the other Anglia it was not ready for that meeting ,I brought quite a lot of stuff off them a couple of weeks before that meeting so thats how I know the other car was not up and going.I think you will find that Ken Bailey ran with Rods entry and number for that meeting ,as the entry list filled up quite quick ,there are a lot on the reserve lists in the program,if you look close at that photo I think you can actually make out the y on the end of the drivers name on the door

David McKinney
05-26-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure Gary Huxford breadvanned one of his Anglias - no time to check right now
The ex-Radisich/Sprague car also ended up in Wellington - with Gary Lang, I think - but was rarely seen in events other than hillclimbs

Steve Holmes
05-26-2011, 09:36 PM
David did manage to ID the date of those photos as being 26/11/1966 back on the Steve Twist Collection Part 1: http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?75-The-Steve-Twist-Collection-Part-1/page2

kiwi285
05-27-2011, 04:43 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/fvl0s2.jpg Here's a fastback Anglia that I photographed in the Claudelands show buildings at the time when Graeme Lawrence had his McLaren M4 car in Air NZ colours. It was at the same show. I think it was only a road car and didn't race. Anyone know any better ??

Javman
05-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Whose was this beast. Jack Nazers 531?
Paratutu Road Races 1965.

Steve Holmes
05-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Whose was this beast. Jack Nazers 531?
Paratutu Road Races 1965.

Yep

thunder427
06-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Just looked through the Levin book, there is a #92 Anglia of D H Hamill and a #92 Anglia of G Huxford they don't fit in with the other car numbers though. Will do some more concentrated research later.

Pallmall.........the 'prettiest' Anglia/Breadvan in my mind had to be the Hamlin/Charles version,first time I saw it was at 'Practise' Wigram on the Friday ( I've mentioned before,my Father was involved with 'timing/Lap Scoring',so I got in for 'FREE',which ment into the pits in the Middle of the Circuit/Start/Finish...this was too good to miss...I had an understanding Boss!)..well this Anglia was immaculate,great lines,Metallic Silver Paint,couple of laps into practice it found its self on its roof comming on to the finishing straight,doors 'flapping open'...arrived next day ready to race sporting a 'Black' vynal roof..........I've mentioned this Anglia in discussion many times,how I thought it was the nicest one built ,it would now appear I had the owners Name wrong!!!.........I believed it came from Auckland area,maybe Hamilton....thought I saw a photo on this thread???...was it Hamill & Charles....I think it was entered as, (Hamlin)Hamill & Charles Conversion....like they where intending to build them for sale ,I thought at the time..........regards thunder427/MJ:)

thunder427
06-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Breadvan story;........got to work one morning in the mid/60's to be hailed into the bosses office,where a discussion was in progress.the subject, much to my interest, seemed to be centred around cars !!!:)

It seemed our 2nd in charge was a little miffed regarding an incident that had occurred the previous evening on his return drive from a 'Skiing Weekend':(

"Myles,you figure this out,I'm driving back to Christchurch along the Eyrewell State Forest road..(which if I remember right was Concrete that went for literally Miles)...in my new Volvo 403,when I look in my rear view mirror,because I'm intending to pull out to pass about 8 cars in front,well would you belive this joker is sitting right on my back bumper,a 'bloody' Anglia like I used to have, w.e.l.l, I indicate my intentions,shift down to 3rd,pull-out and of I go past those 8 cars,I look again in the rear view mirror and the 'BLOODY' Anglia is still attached to my bumper,W.E.L.L I indicate my intentions and that Dam Car pulls along side me like I was parked,slaps into top gear and just dissappeared into the distance......I don't ever remember my Anglia having that sort of performance"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

A quick mental picture came to mind that there had been a 'Hill Climb' event that Sunday at the Northern end of the State Forest Road ,..uMMMM??????? (Can't remember the events name at this late hour!)

"You didn't happen to notice the Colour of this Anglia,like, did it have 'BIG' wheels hanging out the front by any chance"???????????? :rolleyes:

"Well Yes!!..it was a dark Green colour and yes the wheels where at a very odd angle,sticking out the front fenders and 'OH!! very loud.....would that be legal"?:(

" Hell!!! David,don't panic,like don't trade you 'new' Volvo back in, what ever you do...that would have been Niel Doyle in his Anglia/Corvette heading home to Ashburton,he would have been at the local 'Hill Climb' you would have come by on you home journey" !!!

Only in NZ, in the 60's !!!!!!!!!!!!.......................................regards thunder427/MJ:)

David McKinney
06-02-2011, 11:52 AM
This is a list of the fastback Anglias I know of. Some were not “fastbacked” by their first owners

1. Dave Simpson (Auckland) 1966, Frank Radisich 1967. Sprague family (Timaru) 1968-70, Peter Kocis (Dunedin) 1970-71, Gary Lang (Wellington) 1971, Ian Taylor 1972

2. Paul Fahey (Auckland) 1966, Ward and Coppins (Gisborne) 1967, John Elliott and Neil Johns (Northland) 1969, Kerry Rout (Christchurch) 1969-70

3. Jack Nazer 1967

4. Gary Huxford (Wellington) 1967, Dick Slacke (Christchurch) 1967-68

5. Hamish McLeod (Wellington) 1967-68, Dave Mitchell (Timaru) 1967

6. Gary Huxford 1970, Trevor Eve 1970-71

7. Bob Slade (Christchurch, LHD) 1970, Malcolm Coffey (Wellington, Triumph 2000 engine) 1971-72, Robert Bartley 1972-73

8. Paul Barnard (Hawke’s Bay) 1972-73

9. Dave Goodlass (Hawke’s Bay) 1972-76. May be Barnard's

10. Paul Barnard 1975-76 (possibly his earlier car), Ross Gordon (Wellington) 1976

Plus of course the ex-Doyle Anglia Corvette: Alec Dickie 1970-72

E&OE

Steve Holmes
06-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Breadvan story;........got to work one morning in the mid/60's to be hailed into the bosses office,where a discussion was in progress.the subject, much to my interest, seemed to be centred around cars !!!:)

It seemed our 2nd in charge was a little miffed regarding an incident that had occurred the previous evening on his return drive from a 'Skiing Weekend':(

"Myles,you figure this out,I'm driving back to Christchurch along the Eyrewell State Forest road..(which if I remember right was Concrete that went for literally Miles)...in my new Volvo 403,when I look in my rear view mirror,because I'm intending to pull out to pass about 8 cars in front,well would you belive this joker is sitting right on my back bumper,a 'bloody' Anglia like I used to have, w.e.l.l, I indicate my intentions,shift down to 3rd,pull-out and of I go past those 8 cars,I look again in the rear view mirror and the 'BLOODY' Anglia is still attached to my bumper,W.E.L.L I indicate my intentions and that Dam Car pulls along side me like I was parked,slaps into top gear and just dissappeared into the distance......I don't ever remember my Anglia having that sort of performance"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

A quick mental picture came to mind that there had been a 'Hill Climb' event that Sunday at the Northern end of the State Forest Road ,..uMMMM??????? (Can't remember the events name at this late hour!)

"You didn't happen to notice the Colour of this Anglia,like, did it have 'BIG' wheels hanging out the front by any chance"???????????? :rolleyes:

"Well Yes!!..it was a dark Green colour and yes the wheels where at a very odd angle,sticking out the front fenders and 'OH!! very loud.....would that be legal"?:(

" Hell!!! David,don't panic,like don't trade you 'new' Volvo back in, what ever you do...that would have been Niel Doyle in his Anglia/Corvette heading home to Ashburton,he would have been at the local 'Hill Climb' you would have come by on you home journey" !!!

Only in NZ, in the 60's !!!!!!!!!!!!.......................................regards thunder427/MJ:)

LOVE the story! Very cool. I heard recently the Doyle Anglia may still exist?

Steve Holmes
06-02-2011, 08:17 PM
This is a list of the fastback Anglias I know of. Some were not “fastbacked” by their first owners

1. Dave Simpson (Auckland) 1966, Frank Radisich 1967. Sprague family (Timaru) 1968-70, Peter Kocis (Dunedin) 1970-71, Gary Lang (Wellington) 1971, Ian Taylor 1972

2. Paul Fahey (Auckland) 1966, Ward and Coppins (Gisborne) 1967, John Elliott and Neil Johns (Northland) 1969, Kerry Rout (Christchurch) 1969-70

3. Jack Nazer 1967

7. Bob Slade (Christchurch, LHD) 1970, Malcolm Coffey (Wellington, Triumph 2000 engine) 1971-72, Robert Bartley 1972-73

10. Paul Barnard 1975-76 (possibly his earlier car), Ross Gordon (Wellington) 1976

E&OE

You're like a walking encyclopedia David! The knowledge you have stored in your grey matter is incredible.

Steve Holmes
06-02-2011, 08:19 PM
OK, so not a Breadvan, but John Riley built a candy red Anglia for the 1966 Allcomers season, fitted with an alloy Oldsmobile engine. It never ran well (I think the block may have been warped or something similar) and he gave up on the idea in the end, but does anyone have any more info or photos of this car?

David McKinney
06-04-2011, 09:39 AM
The Riley car looked a lot better than it went!

There was also a Zephyr-engined Anglia from Rotorua, possibly built by Ross Baker (of Heron fame), and in the South Island one with a V6 Ford. Can't off the top of my head think of any V8s apart from the Doyle and Radisich efforts though

Steve Holmes
06-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Few shots here of various Breadvan Anglias including, I think, the red version we had been trying to ID (Gary Huxfords #92?). Whose is the #89 car? http://www.anglia-models.co.uk/saloon-photor43.htm

Steve Holmes
06-04-2011, 09:58 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/fvl0s2.jpg Here's a fastback Anglia that I photographed in the Claudelands show buildings at the time when Graeme Lawrence had his McLaren M4 car in Air NZ colours. It was at the same show. I think it was only a road car and didn't race. Anyone know any better ??

Pretty certain this is the same car? http://www.anglia-models.co.uk/saloon-photo45.htm

pallmall
06-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Possibly a Jack Inwood shot.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/Motor%20Racing%20Saloons/PukekoheAllcomersQuicke-mailview.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/Motor%20Racing%20Saloons/247750x535.jpg

Steve Holmes
06-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Fantastic photos as always Gavin. Is that the Jennings Special next to the Radisich Anglia in your last post? I assume a South Island shot as there seems to be a pre-war coupe next to the Custaxie.

pallmall
06-06-2011, 01:56 AM
No I don't think it is the Jennings car, pretty sure this is a SI photo, early season as the Custaxie is still in white primer. Must be Renwick.

Steve Holmes
06-06-2011, 02:10 AM
Yeah, seems certain to be Renwick. And thats probably Sylvesters (second?) coupe in the background, which was wrecked a short time later.

bob homewood
06-06-2011, 03:57 AM
Fantastic photos as always Gavin. Is that the Jennings Special next to the Radisich Anglia in your last post? I assume a South Island shot as there seems to be a pre-war coupe next to the Custaxie.

Is that topolino possibly the Milligan ? car, should remember but its too long ago !!

David McKinney
06-06-2011, 08:34 AM
That's what I was thinking, Bob
Built by Eric Johnston, IIRC, and driven by others before or after Milligan

Just did the intelligent thing and checked the programme - it's John Miliigan

Steve Holmes
06-06-2011, 08:49 AM
The Milligan car was painted red wasn't it? What engine did it use?

David McKinney
06-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Pretty sure it was a 1500 pushrod Ford
I saw it race often enough, but its colour has been wiped from my RAM

bob homewood
06-07-2011, 02:27 AM
David yes it was red, with a Ford Cortina 1500 type engine ,but I think it was 1650cc capacity

David McKinney
06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
You're probably right
It was entered as 1500 in the Renwick programme I checked...

thunder427
06-07-2011, 10:32 AM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/Motor%20Racing%20Saloons/PukekoheAllcomersQuicke-mailview.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/Motor%20Racing%20Saloons/247750x535.jpg

...Don't you just love those old 'Urban' Myths:p.....it was touted that Nazers 'breadvan' was out to 1675cc,and after each race they used to drain the oil to remove the water and dump the water to remove the oil !!!!!!!!!!!..........we were all in awe of this 'hi-tech' world of our time:cool:.....'"man those cylinder walls must be thin"!!!!!!!........oh !!well we had a lot to learn and now nobody wants to know!!!!!!!!,,so be it!.....regards thunder427/MJ:)

Jac Mac
06-08-2011, 03:46 AM
The car on trailer in posts 15/26 could have been done by the trailer owner- Julian Tordoff- I remember several well built Anglias from this guy around the country at the time...

bob homewood
06-10-2011, 09:10 AM

Not a breadvan but this was something we tried in 1965 in the search for more speed down the Pukekohe back straight ,if you look closely you will see we faired the rear wheels in and ran a undertray under the front and at the rear ,this photo would have been at the 65 back to front meeting as we had to uncover the side light covers to get some more brake cooling ,now before you rubbish it yes it did help the top speed a bit but we found it also sucked the back of the car down around the fast corners ,it was probably a bit short sighted that we did not experiment with it more the next season

Rod Grimwood
06-10-2011, 10:08 PM
No way I would rubbish any thing you did Bob. Just goes to show that even back then you looked out side the square. Would have been interesting to have kept up with the modifications, as they were obviously starting to work. The little Anglia I had years later I had to cut holes along the bottom of my rear window to stop it sucking out going around the sweeper at Puke. You could put little bits on them to help with air flow. I had a little alloy lip along the front edge of the vent at the back of the bonnet at same angle as windscreen, it caused a ventury type system and you could see the hot air sucking out from under the bonnet and it stopped it carrying alot of air and helped cooling. Was also great in wet as it sucked rain/water straight off screen. PS you also knew if you had any oil leaks.
More photos and info Bob, you must have a few.

Steve Holmes
06-11-2011, 02:02 AM

Not a breadvan but this was something we tried in 1965 in the search for more speed down the Pukekohe back straight ,if you look closely you will see we faired the rear wheels in and ran a undertray under the front and at the rear ,this photo would have been at the 65 back to front meeting as we had to uncover the side light covers to get some more brake cooling ,now before you rubbish it yes it did help the top speed a bit but we found it also sucked the back of the car down around the fast corners ,it was probably a bit short sighted that we did not experiment with it more the next season

That is quite ingenious Bob! I guess in a way it was a sort primitive version of ground effects. Kinda looks like you went out and bought an Anglia Continental Kit!

Steve Holmes
06-11-2011, 02:04 AM

So heres a question, both the Simpson and Fahey Anglia's debuted their new fastback rooflines at the NZIGP meeting at Pukekohe. Was it purely coincidence, or was there some spying going on?

105angria
06-24-2011, 05:26 AM
file:///Users/raoulhogg/Desktop/triang/Rob-Bartley-04.jpg

105angria
06-24-2011, 05:35 AM
Have some pics of Triang Started off as Breadvan then had roof lifted to comply with regs ,Road Breadvan on trailer looks like the one that was in govners bay for years and was for sale last year,Neil Doyles car was in letters in Classic Driver the guy was in a long resto, will post some pic when ive figgered it out

Steve Holmes
06-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Have some pics of Triang Started off as Breadvan then had roof lifted to comply with regs ,Road Breadvan on trailer looks like the one that was in govners bay for years and was for sale last year,Neil Doyles car was in letters in Classic Driver the guy was in a long resto, will post some pic when ive figgered it out

Is this of any help? http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?82-How-To-Post-Images-and-Videos

105angria
06-24-2011, 11:34 AM
working through the instructions but the down load wont include my pics ,there is a pic of Triang in the OSCA thread and I will continue to crack my tecno failings,could always send Steve an email if that worked also have some good aussie sport sedan shots

seaqnmac27
06-29-2011, 05:16 AM
One from Levin1272

David McKinney
06-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Very unusual for anyone other than Graeme Lawrence to be #14 - at Levin or anywhere else!
The only Anglias I can find thus numbered were Ray Walsh from Wanganui with a 1200 at the March 1972 meeting, and Martin Olsen in a 2-litre car in December 1975 (the last-ever Levin). Have to admit neither driver nor car rings any bells with me

seaqnmac27
06-29-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't know David, will check with Dad, however it would have been 67 or 68 more likely 68 these additional pics may help as they are in the same group of pics.

thunder427
06-29-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't know David, will check with Dad, however it would have been 67 or 68 more likely 68 these additional pics may help as they are in the same group of pics.

......And not a printed T,Shirt insight...........good old Woolen jumpers and jersys every where..............regards thunder427/MJ:p

David McKinney
06-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Might have been November 1968
42 was P W Ackroyd's 997 Anglia and 75 Ron Condon's
No.14 at that meeting was Trevor Eve in a JRM sportscar, but he might have raced his Anglia instead - no, scrub that, I've got a 14 on my sportscar-race lap-chart

seaqnmac27
06-30-2011, 12:01 AM
It is dated in one of dads albums as November 68, it was red and can be seen from behind in this pic1308

105angria
06-30-2011, 03:38 AM

105angria
06-30-2011, 04:10 AM

Steve Holmes
06-30-2011, 04:40 AM
Cool photos! Whose is the Anglia in the last shot? Sort of looks like the name McPhail Motor ???? on the rear fender. Is that Ron McPhail?

105angria
06-30-2011, 06:42 AM
This is the Slade Coffey Bartley Triang it appears in the OSCA thread and later had the roof put back to comply with regs ,only noticed today the left hand drive

105angria
06-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Triang Motor

Steve Holmes
06-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Thats a neat looking car. I did see the guy sitting in the left side but assumed he was in the passenger seat.

105angria
06-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Rob Bartly Triang

105angria
06-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Doyle Anglia epic fail with resize

Steve Holmes
07-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Cool. Does anyone know the progress on the Doyle Angle restoration? How old is that clipping Angria?

105angria
07-01-2011, 01:43 AM
a couple of years, in NZ Classic Driver letters ,the guy has health issues from his letter, so I dont think it has much momentium this is the type of project i would like to tackle next, Does anybody know if the Govners bay fastback thats pictured on this thread that was for sale for some time find a home

105angria
07-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Triang with roof rienstated this would be a grouse ,resto as a breadvan,left hand drive Triumph engine unreal maybe this is a different car as the steering wheels back on the right Rob Bartley sent me the pics so will ask him

105angria
07-01-2011, 04:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoGuIzvu0Dc not sure what thread for this but some assd breadvans at the end , including Jum Ruchards in 105 with Sabrina light covers

Steve Holmes
07-01-2011, 04:36 AM
Here you go Angria. I haven't seen that footage for a while. Its quite amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoGuIzvu0Dc

Steve Holmes
07-01-2011, 04:37 AM
a couple of years, in NZ Classic Driver letters ,the guy has health issues from his letter, so I dont think it has much momentium this is the type of project i would like to tackle next, Does anybody know if the Govners bay fastback thats pictured on this thread that was for sale for some time find a home

I'd heard about the one in Goveners Bay, but never seen pictures of it. Was it one of the race cars, or that fastback road car that was for sale a couple of years ago?

So is the Doyle Anglia still in the Lower North Island?

105angria
07-01-2011, 05:08 AM
The Govners Bay car is a dead ringer for the fastback on this thread ,but spent a long long time in the open under some trees so looked a lot worse for wear

45DCOE
07-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Think that the red fastback was Gary Huxford's. He was a member of the "Miramar Racing Team" together with Alex Wilson in his hybird 105E/100E that he built a replica of. These guys used to compete at Palmer Head, then drive their cars home on the road.
The other memeber of the team was Trevor Eve in his blue 1650cc 105E that I recall was fastbacked. I recall John Mines of Morris Ford, Bambina Mid Cooper S and JRM fame built the car that was unfortunately wrecked when it came away from its A Frame. Will post a picture of the car which I think is at Alexander Road Hill Climb Wellington.

Steve Holmes
07-01-2011, 09:51 PM
The Govners Bay car is a dead ringer for the fastback on this thread ,but spent a long long time in the open under some trees so looked a lot worse for wear

Is this the car you're talking about? http://www.anglia-models.co.uk/saloon-photo45.htm

Steve Holmes
07-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Guys, can you ID the #89 and #92 Breadvans in this link? http://www.anglia-models.co.uk/saloon-photor43.htm

Is the 92 car the Huxford version?

Jac Mac
07-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Another Anglia with a chopped roof [ not sure that it ever had the fastback ] was that of Henry Hammond, Centre Bush , Southland , raced at most SI circuits, was bought later by Evan Dickie [ No relation to Alec ] & Roof was put back 'up' to comply with OSCA regs, that car ended its days on Stock Car Track

45DCOE
07-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Guys, can you ID the #89 and #92 Breadvans in this link? http://www.anglia-models.co.uk/saloon-photor43.htm

Is the 92 car the Huxford version?

Think 92 is was the Huxford car. 89 looks like Goodlass car ex Simpson. However has fluted bonnet that was not on the original

45DCOE
07-09-2011, 04:47 AM
Pretty sure this is Trevor Eve in his Anglia built by John Mines.

Steve Holmes
07-14-2011, 05:30 AM
Do you have more info on this car 45DCOE? The roof conversion actually looks really nicely done. Looks like the A-pillars have been leaned back too. Thats a great looking car.

Steve Holmes
07-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Think 92 is was the Huxford car. 89 looks like Goodlass car ex Simpson. However has fluted bonnet that was not on the original

We need to look further into this. If the #89 car is ex Simpson, then this car won the 1966 NZ Saloon Car Championship.

45DCOE
07-14-2011, 08:15 PM
We need to look further into this. If the #89 car is ex Simpson, then this car won the 1966 NZ Saloon Car Championship.

Therewas an a letter to the editor in Driver Magazine a while back submitted by Gary Lang. Think he said he sold the car to the Goodlass family

nigel watts
07-14-2011, 09:05 PM

kiwi285
07-14-2011, 09:45 PM
John Mines is still active and racing - would it be possible for someone to ask him if he would be interested in joining this site ?

bry3500
07-19-2011, 01:08 AM
http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/pub/Golden%20Saloons.pdf

bry3500
07-19-2011, 01:09 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23210521@N03/3416284506/in/photostream/

Steve Holmes
07-19-2011, 05:00 AM
Those are fantastic. I'm trying to figure out what sort of car they used as the basis for the Custaxie.

bry3500
07-19-2011, 10:20 AM
I was wondering the same thing Steve..Thunderbird?

David McKinney
07-19-2011, 11:15 AM
A 1955 Customline, I believe

Steve Holmes
07-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Not the actual car David, the one in the link above.

David McKinney
07-20-2011, 07:21 AM
Sorry!

Paul Kirk
01-01-2012, 01:10 AM

3. Jack Nazer 1967

E&OE

Btw David, the Kerry Rout Anglia you mention above was actually owned by Ron Rutherford (famous for the 250M Zephyr engined single seater which may have been originally built by Wally Darrel).(And of course Kelford Kams, and Woodford Glen) I actually collected the car from AK and drove it to ChCh for Ron, can you imagine doing that these days? It had a standard twin cam in it otherwise was same as Fahey raced it.
PK.

Paul Kirk
01-01-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm pretty sure Gary Huxford breadvanned one of his Anglias - no time to check right now
The ex-Radisich/Sprague car also ended up in Wellington - with Gary Lang, I think - but was rarely seen in events other than hillclimbs

I seem to remember a Triumph 2000 engined fb Anglia at Levin when we (OSCA) was up there to start a N I branch. (I could be wrong though!)
PK.

bry3500
01-01-2012, 01:37 AM
I seem to remember a Triumph 2000 engined fb Anglia at Levin when we (OSCA) was up there to start a N I branch. (I could be wrong though!)
PK.
That would be the Triang..check posts 45,46,47 on this thread paul

David McKinney
01-01-2012, 10:53 AM
And No.7 in my list

markec
01-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Does anyone remember Bob Slade's left steer Anglia, it appeared for a season and a bit then disappeared and to my knowledge never reappeared, it was white with a dark stripe running front to back.

Jac Mac
01-01-2012, 09:57 PM
#7 on da list:)

105angria
01-01-2012, 10:41 PM
was later converted back to standard roof triang

Oldfart
01-02-2012, 12:31 AM
And there was the one primarily used as a road car, converted by Julian (?) Tordoff in Hamilton, did the odd Hamilton club event, seen recently on Trae Me. Red with black Vinyl roof.

Russ Cunningham
01-03-2012, 04:51 AM
I recall Paul Barnard telling me that he sold his car to someone in Taupo. Don't believe it's been seen since. I know Paul was trying to track it down at one stage. Will give him a call & let everyone know. Better still, I'll try and get Paul to contribute here.

105angria
01-12-2012, 12:08 AM
some house keeping trevour Eves before and after

105angria
01-12-2012, 01:16 AM
Paul Fahey

ElCoyote
01-12-2012, 04:41 AM

fastback55
01-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Good shots.

seaqnmac27
01-12-2012, 07:07 AM
So now the question is who does number 14 belong to? it would be this one

Which I had previously posted and that Mr Mckinney was unable to identify. any takers now?

45DCOE
01-12-2012, 07:37 AM
So now the question is who does number 14 belong to? it would be this one

Which I had previously posted and that Mr Mckinney was unable to identify. any takers now?

Looks like Trevor Eve. My brother use to operate Seatourn Service Station in Wellington and helped construct Dave Jurie's Anglia.

The other fastback is probably Gary Huxford's.

ElCoyote
01-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Looks like Trevor Eve. My brother use to operate Seatourn Service Station in Wellington and helped construct Dave Jurie's Anglia.

The other fastback is probably Gary Huxford's.

Quite correct, I didn't caption them because Dave McKinney obviously doesn't sleep and need some stimulation.
I was a sometime customer at Seatour S/S depending on when payday fell. Is your brother GY or CN? The latter had an anglia himself if I remember correctly. Knew the Jurie family well, pity Dave had an attraction to trees.

45DCOE
01-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Quite correct, I didn't caption them because Dave McKinney obviously doesn't sleep and need some stimulation.
I was a sometime customer at Seatour S/S depending on when payday fell. Is your brother GY or CN? The latter had an anglia himself if I remember correctly. Knew the Jurie family well, pity Dave had an attraction to trees.

My brother is GY, he was interested in the images you posted. Think CN had a 'bobtail' Cooper (?) sports cars then a Valour FJ. Keep posting the images !

ElCoyote
01-14-2012, 05:57 AM
Might be swimming upstream here but didn't John Ward have a fastback which I either didn't see or overlooked in this thread

105angria
01-14-2012, 09:50 AM
dont think we have a pic of that car

45DCOE
01-14-2012, 10:33 AM
dont think we have a pic of that car

John Ward shared the ex Paul Fahey fastback with Rod Coppins and was painted red. There are some pic on the forum.

markec
01-19-2012, 01:10 AM

fastback55
01-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Good shot, thanks.

driftwood
01-20-2012, 02:41 PM
excuse the dumb question from a winjun pom but why did the anglias get the fast back body line?
I recall the Sebring austin healey / lenham sprite cars had a fastback addition
we couldn't use this sort of body shape modification on our saloon cars as we had a rule that specified the silouhette could not be changed
wide aches could be added as they didn't alter the side view and spoilers where allowed within a creation dimension
we could add rear "wing" on the boot lid unto half the height of rear wind so long as it was attached toe the whole of the boot lid

There is a Gp 5 BMW 320 that raced in germany that had a rear window made into a larger area for aerodynamics to create a fastback effect

David McKinney
01-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Improved the aerodynamics, therefore made them faster in a straight line

driftwood
01-20-2012, 10:25 PM
where they actually faster ?
I know back then the car makers didn't have wind tunnels so some things where hit n miss like the Stiletto coupe looked sleeker than the Imp but it needed a rear wing on the boot to flick up the air as it created turbulence behind the boot

105angria
01-20-2012, 10:47 PM
cleans up the tubulance created by the cutback rear window, add in a roof chop probably quite effective,

bry3500
01-20-2012, 11:49 PM
where they actually faster ?
I know back then the car makers didn't have wind tunnels so some things where hit n miss like the Stiletto coupe looked sleeker than the Imp but it needed a rear wing on the boot to flick up the air as it created turbulence behind the boot

I think I read somewhere that Fahey's car went 15 to 20 mph faster

David McKinney
01-21-2012, 02:26 PM
My memory (from the time) was that someone worked out that if you drew a graph of maximum speed against bhp, an Anglia would hit a "brick wall" at 125mph. The early (Fahey, Simpson, Nazer) twincam cars no doubt went faster than that

The same theory said a Mini hit the same "brick wall" at 115mph. I wonder what improvements the Minisprints enjoyed?

lisian_1275
01-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Not sure on the Minisprints, but when the Broadspeed Mini was born they pretty much would guarantee 8-10 MPH+ in top speed

45DCOE
09-28-2012, 09:36 AM

Paul Fahey Fastback Anglia image from another forum.

hilstwist
09-29-2012, 01:52 AM
Huxford,s it is. Fascinating to look through that old program. Someone raced a Standard 10??! The Holden is Mcpherson who then raced an EH,and now I know that the Cortina was Barry Phillips. Thanks, now I know who the drivers are from that meeting as I coudn't remember from all those years ago!

hilstwist
09-29-2012, 02:23 AM
Sorry for any confusion. I was refering to the post on the 1st page of this thread that had the Levin program displayed. I should not have had that last can!!

ElCoyote
09-29-2012, 03:31 AM

Paul Fahey Fastback Anglia image from another forum.

Welcome back Steve, are you going to Bathurst? I have 2 tickets spare for Sunday only. PH

45DCOE
09-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Will be at Bathurst Garage Suite 13. Check email in this forum.

45DCOE
06-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Found this awesome image at Levin18816Alex in the original Hybird 100E/105E and Gary in Breadvan Anglia

Michael Clark
06-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Was #90 also known as 'Brutal'?

fullnoise68
06-13-2013, 08:43 PM
It is dated in one of dads albums as November 68, it was red and can be seen from behind in this pic1308

This Mk1 Escort is the car that my father in law Barry Pointon owned that Jim Richards raced prior to driving Jim Carneys Escort.

ERC
06-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Not sure on the Minisprints, but when the Broadspeed Mini was born they pretty much would guarantee 8-10 MPH+ in top speed
Deseaming a Mini removed 40 sq ins from the front. Chopping the roof by 4" removed even more and the Broadspeed GT's airflow was probably a further improvement over the Minisprint as the screen was raked back. We clocked Bernie Hines Broadspeed replica at 129mph on radar a few years ago, so the breadvan Anglias probably showed a similar percentage improvement over the standard shape.

Interesting that these days, we no longer have a platform for "interesting" cars, which means that those of us who lived through the 50s to the 80s saw some fascinating cars. Thankfully classic racing is alive and well.

Grant Sprague
06-14-2013, 07:31 AM
MMMMmm interesting , I recall Ernie often searching for straight line speed advantage [fast back raked roof ..fast back ]on & off , all was recorded in a book , with wind side ways , behind , or head on these were tests at long beach south of Ashburton where we took advantage of the facilities provided in those days but had a go & wow factor that gave a good idea , & an average worked out , the difference with the fast back clipped on or off was insignificant .. I am sure the raked roof was the positive factor... as Gary & Ernie ended up most of the time with out clip on fast back . kind regards Grant

John McKechnie
06-15-2013, 05:56 AM
Grant- Uncle Jack told me that his Yellow Submarine was definitely good for 20mph more with the rear changes.

Grant Sprague
06-15-2013, 07:55 AM
MMmmmmm , love these convos ..... well the car was good for about 128 mph give or take a couple with or with out fast back... now I don't want to blow my trumpet [ but who is uncle Jack ] or have you been talking to Allan .. D ??....lol
As time went on one my pre 65 Anglias recorded 137 mph with out raked roof & fast back , really cant see them much quicker [but sloweeeer] as we had better exist speed out of railway due to up dated suspension , tyre s & HP . What I am trying to explain to uncle Jack is this .............Ernie did 128mph with a slippery body we did 137 mph with out those wind [loving effects] at puke not a flying mile ?? my car , [cars]? so if we had a raked roof & fast back we would be doing 157 mph [don't think so ], My mustang was 250 k .... 150 mph [puke]..... hey not trying to knock Jack but ummmmmm , no not quite correct .... John looking forwards to yr reports re the Monaro ,, I might ph Gary to morrow & get some info.... Take care ... grant

John McKechnie
06-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Jack Nazer- only reporting what has been told to me. Obviously there was a marked improvement.

Grant Sprague
06-15-2013, 08:41 AM
oh lol..... when did he report this ???????? Gary & him were great friends , Jack was to join Gary on the big OE to UK in 70,s , but Jack did not make the trip , better go , watching all blacks & my 3 legged possumn trying to climb up my chair & get my beer true .. story ................... hey is jack still around & where ..

John McKechnie
06-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Still lives in Herne Bay and in great health. I have worked on some of his vintage cars -DeLage, Chrysler Airflow etc and try to get info from the old days. Told me about when he got alloy wheels off a guy in Chch , they werent up to it and thats when the car was totaled at Levin. Told me stories of Grady when he raced the Monaro against him in the Cossack Escort, Mercury Series 1970. Great getting together with him. Also loves his dogs. Jack didnt go with Gary but built THE Victor-YAY!!! If you can get Gary back for HMC Jan next year, I will work on Jack to come along also.

Grant Sprague
06-15-2013, 09:18 AM
John this convo is better than last half of all Blacks, the Possumn went out side , I will talk to Gaz re HMC , .......... I don't remember the the mercury series as Gary is about 6 yrs older than me ....... so hey day Gary 19 me 13 ,.....................at time of mercury time ...

Rod Grimwood
06-15-2013, 09:54 PM
This little one was doing same type of speed maybe fraction more Grant (it had 2ltr) at Puke had a trap reading one day 138 and no back on it. I did have to put alloy tags on the back window and drilled 3 holes along the bottom of it to stop it sucking out, specially around the sweeper at Puke. Remember in practice first time I ran it at Puke a big woosh sound and it was gone, so on went the tags and holes. Later had a very little alloy lip run along the back edge of roof and this seemed to deflect the air up instead of straight down into back area, certainly stopped the rear window vibrating as bad.

This came about after we stuck some little bits of knitting wool along the back edge and back of bonnet to see where the air was going, quick trip down northern motorway with boys running alongside in ute and observing wind flow and back to shop and play aerodynamic engineers.

Hard case really when you look back at some of the things we did.

Grant Sprague
06-16-2013, 12:21 AM
This little one was doing same type of speed maybe fraction more Grant (it had 2ltr) at Puke had a trap reading one day 138 and no back on it. I did have to put alloy tags on the back window and drilled 3 holes along the bottom of it to stop it sucking out, specially around the sweeper at Puke. Remember in practice first time I ran it at Puke a big woosh sound and it was gone, so on went the tags and holes. Later had a very little alloy lip run along the back edge of roof and this seemed to deflect the air up instead of straight down into back area, certainly stopped the rear window vibrating as bad.

This came about after we stuck some little bits of knitting wool along the back edge and back of bonnet to see where the air was going, quick trip down northern motorway with boys running alongside in ute and observing wind flow and back to shop and play aerodynamic engineers.

Hard case really when you look back at some of the things we did.Love the pics Rod, you almost look 2 big for the car , could have been the DB Bouble brown bombers lol , Rod looking at yr seat position I dropped my seat on the floor no legs on seat felt so much better through all turns I could just see over the steering wheel , even to day in pre 65 some haven't experimented with such , we had to take advantage of our ideas .....lol.... you had some good knowledge my friend considering the cars we had ....

Grant Sprague
06-16-2013, 05:29 AM
John , just talked to Gaz in Perth , he has great memories of the mercury series & Grady , he mentioned that Grady was more of a mate of Ernies & lived in Wellington , was a panel beater , the deal was [in mercury series] go lite weight on panels & glass they transformed the cars from the other series over night . Gary told me a story about an E type Grady had [wont mention any more about that one lol ] but nothing serious but a hoot , as for uncle Jack , if you read one of Gary,s write ups from Allan , in classic driver Mag number 28 you will get the inside info on Jack [Nazer] re UK & [not sailing ]off to UK ,Gary mentioned that Jack was one of the last vistors to get off the ship while bidding fare well to Gary, on route to uk first stop Fiji... ps he wont make the HMS [jan] just got 2 much on that time of year as super visor up in mines ................ Grant

John McKechnie
06-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Grant- was that when an unnamed driver in this E type had a race up north to an unnamed town to get a certain race car with his unnamed partner in a racing GTHO? or is that another story

Grant Sprague
06-16-2013, 07:15 AM
An other story , no biggy John , Gary told me the story this arvo .I am happy to share with you but not wanting to get stories out of control on the net as they do... u will laugh ...................... soooo old time stuff good humour no humour on the tumour

John McKechnie
06-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Put it on my Monaro thread if you want since its Grady.
Dale says it all about the cars being the stars.
Me, I like to hear that those behind the wheel were people just like you and I....whoops......

Grant Sprague
06-16-2013, 06:55 PM
John how do I get the monaro thread......... or just go into yr private address msg ?........ yep its not just about the cars , I am so happy to reconnect with the nuts be hind the wheels I have not seen or heard of for a few years , although nice to see the old cars .

John McKechnie
06-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Grant- Team Cambridge Monaro thread- was (Newspaper Reporter)
Can you also add to that the origin of the famous Anglia was it mums shopping basket that was hijacked?) and how the Escort came into being?

John McKechnie
06-17-2013, 05:19 AM
Just been reading November 1971nMotorman and for sale is the
"ex Simpson, Radisich, Sprague , Kocis,-possibly NZs fastest Anglia 1731cc. 130+mph. $1700 Garry Lang, Wellington."

Grant Sprague
06-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Wooow John you do some reading [research amazing] . I lost track of the car after Pete had it , & thats a few moons ago , when it was last raced by Gary it was 1650 , lotus block ............... I know Bob Dinco from Chch has one of my first pre 65 Anglias & he did amazing things to it with original 1500 block [now allowd 1600 ..thicker walls , stronger mains, more about] I know he retained the castings but went to 2000cc there abouts [bored out] , now this is a little wolf dressed in wolfs clothings , love to see that go at long beach , with right ratio , would make people sit up , plus Bob drives it super good same as Morrie Bone

John McKechnie
06-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Wrecked my back, cant move much so am reading .
In Feb 1971- Ashburton Car Club- Wayne Sprague won the Longbeach Rd sprint 141.5mph and 15.4 standing quarter -tall gearing in ( daddys?) GTHO .
Peter Kocis -Anglia- did 128.7mph before he blew it up.Also did 15.2 standing quarter in the big engined Anglia

Grant Sprague
06-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Thanks John , that confirms re the top speed of anglia that is the testing ground they used so Pete would have also tryed the fast back & raced it with out . We used another private road out at the south side of Timaru for all our cars, the road ran east to west from a letter box to a gate for about 2 k's standing starts to flat out a stop watch used in the car by the driver & recorded in a book , plus the wind directions & temp of day ......... Yep Wayne did the 141.5 at long beach I remember it.
John hope your back gets better soon ....

45DCOE
06-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Was #90 also known as 'Brutal'?

Alex Wilson built a replica of the original that was sold to Kayne Thompson. Think Kayne Thompson named the replica "Brutal".

Grant Sprague
06-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Ok Thanks 45DCOE , i have a hankering to do one , I have been offered an old fresh angle box to start with , strange how time flys , I have the orchard work shop plenty of room & plenty of helpers , but getting the time in between my family time is the prob , when you sit down think about it , [been there done that] I guess I might think different when the girls head off to uni & free some time up [if they havent spent all our $$$] lol , by that time its could be me & Kylie time ?? .there is a pik here some where of an anglia called brutal [I think] is that it ???

John McKechnie
06-18-2013, 12:36 AM
Grant- there was an Anglia around in Francivics day called Powerful Percy- any clues about this one?

Grant Sprague
06-18-2013, 12:48 AM
No , Sorry John I dont ...... Sounds like it could have been a N I car ???? John ,I use to hillclimb my scanz car against a guy called John Murphy in his F F amazing guy a farmer & fast to boot.... any way he told me he had an anglia in the old days he use to race at Puke it was black & rough but very fast in its day , am woundering if it was percy ?? Murphy,s lol

Rod Grimwood
06-18-2013, 02:10 AM
Mr Murphy features in the 'Anglias" thread which was a while back.

John McKechnie
06-18-2013, 02:46 AM
Ok Thanks 45DCOE , i have a hankering to do one , I have been offered an old fresh angle box to start with , strange how time flys , I have the orchard work shop plenty of room & plenty of helpers , but getting the time in between my family time is the prob , when you sit down think about it , [been there done that] I guess I might think different when the girls head off to uni & free some time up [if they havent spent all our $$$] lol , by that time its could be me & Kylie time ?? .there is a pik here some where of an anglia called brutal [I think] is that it ???
Grant- the fresh old angle box- Wouldnt be Dave Juries on one would it-#167 Anglias site. Real radical angle box.

Grant Sprague
06-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Nope , the fresh one means a clean virgin , [clean canvas] no rust .............. I saw t he one on Anglia link , fast back pik at Invercargil classic meet , now that looks like the old car but probably a replica....... looks very good .

Allan
06-18-2013, 08:10 AM
FYI. John Murhpy still farming and competing in the Thames Valley area. And very quick as well.

Grant Sprague
06-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks Allan , he was always fast ........ we had a run off & John Wigstons chevron up in the hills on the right hand side by that old pub in Wiakino valley , I thought we might end up killing our selves no one budged each time go quicker & quicker & the wire fences got closer & closer I end up putting a bar from space frame up over my helmet to the roll bar as not to lose my head lol thinking back a bit silly but got us going , this happened at a few venues , I re call going up one fast straight backwards on cold slicks, jumping off an apex , every one would have a story of close calls & the fun of racing , we have all done it lots of fun ..

45DCOE
06-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Grant- there was an Anglia around in Francivics day called Powerful Percy- any clues about this one?

Think Powerful Percy was ex Ivan Segedin, Robbie Francevic bio in NZ Classic Car said it was provided by a kind benefactor. Old images of the car when Ivan Segedin raced it showed white/orange colour scheme that was the same as when Robbie raced Powerful Percy.Maybe this ended up being Lotus powered for the 1966 season ?

John McKechnie
06-18-2013, 09:55 AM
45DCOE- I saw the same article -Robbie didnt really want to do another season in PP-and was intriged by the name .So who/what was Percy or just made up after a few drinks? ? No doubts about it being powerful.

David McKinney
06-19-2013, 08:49 AM
I think you're right in that the name would have been made up after a few beers - it was used during the Franicevic period but not, IIRC, before. If memory serves, Segedin sold it to Warren Reid, who left Robbie to do most of the driving. As far as I know it never had a twincam engine - or if it did, the big pushrod engine was soon back in

The only twincam Anglia I'm sure Robbie raced was Nazer's (or ex-Nazer?) and that was at the end of the 1965/66 season

John McKechnie
06-20-2013, 12:18 AM
David- hows your memory on this one- is this the same Anglia that Robbie rallyed around 70-72 It also was a big pushrod motor.

Carlo
06-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Re The Orange & white Anglia driven by Robbie, it had a 1474cc pushrod engine, in other words a 1340cc 109e engine bored out to 85mm. it was a small engine Anglia by comparison with many of the others which is why it lacked a wee bit of straight line speed. As I understand it this car started life as a rental car in Fiji and then became the Segedin Anglia Alardette which was powered by a supercharged 105E engine and it was in this form that it first caught my eye at Teretonga. After many owners/ drivers the car ended up in the hands of Ross McKay in Timaru who fitted a 2 litre climax motor to it and went hillclimbing very successfully but then following a con rod failure the car sat in his workshop minus engine and gearbox until someone who bears a remarkable resemblence to my wife brought it for someone about my size as a wedding present back in 1970. On transporting this car to Greymouth where I was then working it became quite successful in hillclimbs, sprints but now with a mild 1500cc Cortina engine and a std Anglia gearbox fitted to it and enjoyed many great battles with Bob Homewood who was running Jim Kennedy Escort in the same events. We also took part in the occasional OSCA race meeting at Levels and then on shifting to Whangarei we sold the car to Alan Hewlett who used it for a number of years before it placed into the car of the Kumara rubbish tip. About 2 months after that I contacted Alan as to what he was doing with the car as I would have liked it back so as to restore it but unfortunately a recent flood had swept much of the tip along with the Anglia out into the Tasman sea.
On the Coast the car became known by some as "The Wacky Racer" and Bob Homewood will one day admit to his part in Fred the goat becoming a guest in its confines. Fred was never the same goat after that experience.

Carlo
06-20-2013, 08:57 AM
The Anglia that Robbie rallied was the ex Bruce Bayliss car from Timaru

John McKechnie
06-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Carlo- thanks for filling in these gaps.

Kwaussie
06-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Re The Orange & white Anglia driven by Robbie, it had a 1474cc pushrod engine, in other words a 1340cc 109e engine bored out to 85mm. it was a small engine Anglia by comparison with many of the others which is why it lacked a wee bit of straight line speed.
Same I suppose, Robbie told me it was a 105e fitted with 1340cc crank and rods then bored 85mm with liners - but then he told me & others lots of rubbish over the years!!

Grant Sprague
06-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Carlo, I remember Bruce,s car well [white with purple roof , [I think], he & Brian developed it all the time 13/40 & got it going pretty damn quick , Ernie helping with bits & pieces, started as a bit of a hot rod , same time as Gary had his replica mk 1 lotus 13/40 , or the black Anglia...... Gee Carlo you have some great memories , & John , not to mention Steve...

David McKinney
06-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Franicevic entered the car as 1650cc in the 1964/65 season...

Kwaussie
06-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Segedin Anglia Alardette which was powered by a supercharged 105E engine and it was in this form that it first caught my eye at Teretonga.

I may be wrong but the only Allardette that I can remember at Teretonga was Morrie Hogan - January 1964 & 1965

David McKinney
06-21-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm pretty sure Hogan's car was the only Anglia regularly entered as an Allardette - for several years

Kwaussie
06-21-2013, 11:04 AM
In latter years did it have a white arrow shape - bit like a Surtees's over the front.
To get back on track never a fastback that I can recall. Very nice little Anglia from memory!

Carlo
06-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Have to get back to early memories, Yes seem to remember Hogans name on the ownership papers but it was Ivan who I remember first seeing driving the car at Teretonga, it may have been during the last race of the day for saloons and it flew. Mind you Ivan was pretty good at driving cars that he worked on and seem to remember the Flying farewell at Waimate a year or so later when he drove Dave Simpsons Anglia pretty damn quickly.
The car never was a fastback but it did have the headlight buckets turned around and a little bit of body filler to give it the "Sabrina" look.
When I rubbed quite a bit of the car back to bare metal during a period of repainting, including undercoat I did discover 17 different layers of paint on the roof so it had enjoyed a few adventures before we got it.

As for the 1474cc three bearing engine which was run at Wigram and where the car made that Shell photo where it was in the midst of the pack at (I think the hairpin) and the passengers door was wide open, in talking with Robbie in later years it was an engine that they built up out of the remains of a 1650 that disintergrated but the pistons were ok and they were fitted to the only engine they could lay their hands on at the time and it went much better than expected so they kept using it.
My understanding is that engine later found its way into one of Doug Henny's early Lotus single seaters which he later onsold to Peter DeLore.

Carlo
06-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Carlo, I remember Bruce,s car well [white with purple roof , [I think], he & Brian developed it all the time 13/40 & got it going pretty damn quick , Ernie helping with bits & pieces, started as a bit of a hot rod , same time as Gary had his replica mk 1 lotus 13/40 , or the black Anglia...... Gee Carlo you have some great memories , & John , not to mention Steve...

Grant, a little off subject but as you know the Sth Canterbury District have produced and continue to do so today a number who have done ok in our sport. But if you think about those two blocks either side of the Stafford & North Street intersections where Sth Canterbury Toyota now stand there sure have been some good ones. When I was at the end of my apprenticeship there was Ernie, Pumpkin and Speed Richardt at Sprague Motors with Angus Laurenson President of the NZACU next door then we had Bruce Baylis & Elwyn Mackie at HP Baileys, Brent Hawes and Leo Leonard later joined by your brother Wayne at Speedway Motors and across the road Brian Livingstone at Noel Brady's and the late great Gerry McKissock and myself at the NZPO Workshops along with many of the SCCC committee who were based in the NZPO Engineers office block on the corner. Going South there was you elder brother Gary at Smiths and Graeme Hathaway across the road at Lucas Brothers while going North was Max Trilford, Joss Timms and then Des Knauff were all very prominent with motorcycling and Hepburn & Sides just around the corner produced Warren Burt, Graeme Vaughan and Andy Green.

About the time Wayne started at Speedway Motors a young Kevin Pateman, current President of the SCC started working in the area at Oliffs Office Supplies.

With three pubs on the boundaries and the Police Station in the centre of the area how could we go wrong.

Over the years the workforce within that period of time have gone onto to produce at least 5 presidents and 8 Life members for the South Canterbury Car Club.

Grant Sprague
06-22-2013, 03:36 AM
Carlo, yes amazing statistics I could add more , those were magic days & dont get me wrong , the people down there seem to support each other as they do in most towns & citys , I do notice up north here though the groups move in circles rather clicky , mind you more population up this way , but yes you are correct a great bunch of home style kiwi racers , i like meeting up with Bairdo & Pete , & Drakey at Timaru , they even love the atmosphere there, we often talk of just that , there is something magic about you guys & Timaru , Even Pumpkin was an icon a bit naughty but gee I miss that guy, must tell you some stories of their trips to UK etc !!

45DCOE
11-27-2013, 09:34 AM
I always thought the David Simpson Lotus Anglia was pretty sleek. Have had a go at building a scale replica for fun.

Rod Grimwood
11-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Great effort, looks good. What is the scale can you put something beside it to show.

Grant Sprague
11-28-2013, 12:41 AM
I do remember , one year at Puke, whilst being in the Timaru B&H [or Wills ]group , seeing Dave Simpson in [I think] the first lotus twin cam escort , white in colour , it seemed so fast in those days & sounded so good , was not long after that we saw many more arrive . What happened to Dave ?????, never really meet him but was good in his day ............Grant

John McKechnie
11-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Grant- I have a good article on Dave from autonews 1968 all about Anglia days- says it was easier car than Escort.
Do you want me to scan and email it to you? pm me with your email address
Got one similar on Gary with some of Ernie- MK3 days.

Grant Sprague
11-28-2013, 02:03 AM
Grant- I have a good article on Dave from autonews 1968 all about Anglia days- says it was easier car than Escort.
Do you want me to scan and email it to you? pm me with your email address
Got one similar on Gary with some of Ernie- MK3 days. Thanks John ....... much appreciated ....... looks like a PC prob 2nd time I sent but did not stick.......... ps hope you all good & merry xmas from the Tga Spragues.............grantsprague@kinect.co.nz

Carlo
11-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Hey Grant, I remember David arriving at Levels with the TC which was just a couple of weeks prior to Gary getting his hands on Tony Batchelors one. They pulled up outside of Ian Keenan's office for documentation and Ernie ducked under the rear of Dave's trailer to look at the Escort rear suspension, he was back out in a flash and nothing was said until a few of us were invited to view the rear of the Escort and there painted across the back of the Diff housing were the words were F#@k off Sprague.

Still remember Gary running the TC at Craigmore and the big slides out of Castrol and onto the back straight.

Grant Sprague
11-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Carl..... I did not know Gary put the TC up the hill , probably missed that bugar..... was not long I put just about any thing I could get my hands on up ther , a beautiful part of SC , remember lots of cars had f....k off on diff housings lol , most handled like pigs back then , hit & misses.
As for Gaz in escort , we went home [him & I] after pumping gas at north Street...... on the way home for lunch to 41....... every corner was side ways either crossed up just b 4 for or through it !!!
As for Dad ,[ DREAM] last night weird as it might seem I was down at your new S I circuit helping Foggy in new Toyota sorting out understeer only to see Ernie there , wooooow crazy... have a good one Carl Grant ...merry xmas bro

Rod Grimwood
11-28-2013, 09:46 PM
That was a common message on diffs, and slam panels when bonnet was up.

Steve Emson
11-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Wow, good stories. The NI blokes just pale into insignificance. I think the real characters of the sport hailed from The Mainland. I could have done with one of those fu*k off signs on my Shellsport diff. Never thought of that. Mine would have to be in Japanese however. We found the head of Nissan Datsun Japan's racing department right under my Shellsport B110 coupe once. Just his feet sticking out. How he got under there I will never know, as the car was low to the ground. So what is fu*k off in Japanese anyway? I never did say anything to this man. This was at Manfield. The day before practice, I did some laps and the Cook Motor Racing team (Datsun Quazi works team) was timing me. Robbie Francevic came up to me shortly after to tell me how silly I was,....................to show them how quick I was. He said we cannot beat you, so this is what we are going to do. They worked all night to take the fuel injected dry sump running gear out of the Cherry and put it into the 1200 (B110) coupe that Robbie was suppose to drive. This was a big effort, and the car was a weapon on race day. I still was in front as we crossed the line for the win, even though Reg did get by me during the race for awhile. The reason I mentioned this is because, as I came around the last corner, I checked the mirror to see where Reg was and then had this big slow motion thing happening were I looked around the pit lane for my crew, however saw Mr Japanese boss man instead. I will never forget it, as he was looking directly at me in my car, and as he realised I was going to win, his body language changed completely and he just hung his head low in disbelief and what i thought looked like shame. I will never forget that, I laughed about it to my team that the ceremonial sword would be coming out tonight. Anyway sorry people, the story is sort of related to the fu*k off sign.

Rod Grimwood
11-29-2013, 02:39 AM
Steve, totally related. Good days ah.

Grant Sprague
11-29-2013, 04:04 AM
Yep good stories 4 sure , now just imagine if we didnt have this site of Steve's to be on we probably would have slipped through life not telling our little stories & excited times ups & downs .. We would have to be reincarnated & come back & do it all over again lol , most here I have not seen for a yr or more , Steve E since we were Teens just fantastic guys , let the good times roll .... Grant

Carlo
11-29-2013, 05:18 AM
Grant, Gary ran the TC at Craigmore about 2-4 weeks after he got his hands on it. The car was still running its original equipment India radial tyres that looked like a Dunlop Aquajet and they were about as slippery as an eel in a bucket of snot which is why it slid so well on tarmac. I remember that at one point during the hillclimb Gary had the tyres down around the 10lb mark trying to get some grip out of the thing but with no success, it was one of those dry dusty days where nothing worked. I was like the rest of the guys with the 105E's, seat out, girlfriend out, exhaust off and lets go hillclimbing then reassembling the car and heading down to the river for a quick swim and a few beers. Cheers

Grant Sprague
11-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Yep beautiful Times Carl .... hey and what a river spent many yrs there & later on at the golf course with ex bro inlawJ ock etc at the bottom of the hill .... you guys must realize the beauty of the place a bit of a time warp I know ... I have a pik of Ernie going up there [ hill climb] in the old GP cars p3 alfa & 4clt maserati ...... I have sent these to Steve H .... with some others ....... when he gets the time they will get posted , a few of that special hill . etc .. thanks for sharing these times guys ... Grant

45DCOE
11-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Scale is 1/32, 105E beside is Hotwheels diecast, hopefully will give you some idea of proportion.Thinking about doing Jack Nazer's Cossack Escort.

Rod Grimwood
11-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Scale is 1/32, 105E beside is Hotwheels diecast, hopefully will give you some idea of proportion.Thinking about doing Jack Nazer's Cossack Escort.

Obviously nothing wrong with your eye site, small but that is good stuff.

ElCoyote
11-30-2013, 04:00 AM
Nice one Steve, now if it was only painted turquoise ;-)

Alan Hyndman
12-02-2013, 11:30 AM
If this works, then here's a screen shot from my video camera that includes a Breadvan Anglia that ran at the MG Classic in November. The driver is listed as Ray Hurst and the car is from 1964 with a 1760cc engine. Others on TRC can hopefully provide some more detailed information about the car.

If it all goes horribly wrong, then hey - nice weather we're having...

camaroman slp
12-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Yes this is a great a shot of a friend of mine Ray Hurst in the breadvan 105e replica fastback. Originaly built I think by Chrischurch long time Osca driver John Osbourne Ray has kept it tucked for a few years getting it ready for racing again as he runs a tight budget ownig 2 cars,it was also raced by someone from deep south before him. Ray also races in the pre 65s for the at least the last 10 years or so in a white 105e.Being driver mechanic for himself makes him consistanly there rain or shine. He has such a passion for racing these cars and travels all over the south island and sometimes the north island. from your long time friend ex pat kiwi Alistair now living in Melbourne 1 year cheers :)

hilstwist
12-03-2013, 04:33 AM
I thought the original Fahey Breadvan still existed and seem to remember it being for sale a few years back. Does make some appearances? And there is a replica as well?

Oldfart
12-03-2013, 04:46 AM
Yes the Fahey car does exist, Craig Stacey has it, and uses it. Good question how there can be a replica, colour, number and all!

Rod Grimwood
12-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Yes the Fahey car does exist, Craig Stacey has it, and uses it. Good question how there can be a replica, colour, number and all!

This car was built along time ago, and sat for ages. Believe at time of build it was thought Faheys car was gone.

Had chat with owner at Manfield couple weeks back and there is a bit of story with it.

Carlo
12-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Yes this is a great a shot of a friend of mine Ray Hurst in the breadvan 105e replica fastback. Originaly built I think by Chrischurch long time Osca driver John Osbourne Ray has kept it tucked for a few years getting it ready for racing again as he runs a tight budget ownig 2 cars,it was also raced by someone from deep south before him. Ray also races in the pre 65s for the at least the last 10 years or so in a white 105e.Being driver mechanic for himself makes him consistanly there rain or shine. He has such a passion for racing these cars and travels all over the south island and sometimes the north island. from your long time friend ex pat kiwi Alistair now living in Melbourne 1 year cheers :)

When John first appeared with the car it was titled The Junkyard Dog. He gave it that name as there wasn't a new part in it.

45DCOE
02-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Found these on Allan Dick's Facebook page. 23630

Jac Mac
02-10-2014, 02:55 AM
Found these on Allan Dick's Facebook page. 23630
Enlarge the pic & read the data on the windscreen placard...Mainland Muscle cars looks like its going to be the class to watch in future..

45DCOE
02-10-2014, 03:50 AM

Another image for Allan Dick's Facebook page. Youtube shows car raced with fastback @ Skope.

Noo Noo
05-05-2015, 12:28 PM

3. Jack Nazer 1967

E&OE
I went to a club night at our local (Wairarapa) Vintage Car Club last night, plonked myself down next to Gary Lang, handed him this list that I had printed off and got him talking about breadbin Anglias and lots of other racing car stuff from back in the day. When he left for home I zoomed in on Ray Lester who raced a 105E in the 60's, showed him the list and learnt some more. So, along with a bit I knew myself, here's what I've got.

Starting with No.1 on the list, after buying this car from Peter Kocis, Gary had it for about a year during which he did some hillclimbs but never circuit raced it. He then sold it to Ian Taylor. This is the same Ian Taylor who was a top stock car and production saloon driver at Te Marua Speedway and builder of the best looking stock car to ever grace a NZ track - Gil Mallias Traco Chev.
Taylor had the car for about 6 months, painted it his trademark hi-vis lime green colour and set a new outright saloon record at the Houghton Bay hillclimb. He then sold it to a Goodlass in Hawkes Bay.
The fastback was removed and the car continued being used in competition.
Gary says the car still very much exists ( in Goodlass ownership) and he read an article on it in a magazine (he thinks it was Petrolhead) several years ago.

No 4
At the Nov. 1966 Levin meeting I took some photos of cars in the pits. One of them was Gary Huxfords fastback No 92, sitting next to fellow Miramar Racing Team member Bill McPhersons FJ Holden. Several years ago I took it and one of Jack Nazers fastback (at the same meeting) sitting on it's trailer in damaged condition, ready for the drive home, to the car club to show Gary. When I bought them home I put them somewhere and havn't seen them since. If I ever find them I'll post them up.

I had never heard of Dick Slacke but Ray Lester bought his name up. Said he owned Majestic Motors in Masterton (they specialised in selling American cars) around the late 60s/early 70s. Around that time he had a fastback that he took the motor out of to put in a boat and got Ray to build an exhaust pipe for it. No knowledge of the car after that.

Gary Huxford was a carrier and was killed when his truck rolled back onto him in a loading bay.

No5
In 1967 I was an apprentice electrician. Just along from our workshop was a carrying company N F Raven and for a few months a bloke named Hamish McLeod from the Wairarapa was driving for them. He had a green 105E for a daily driver which he built into a fastback.
The first thing done was one of the headlights was recessed in the style of a MGB. It looked really bizarre for a few weeks until the other side was done. Then a steel framework was fabricated at the back but the sheetmetal wasn't put on so it looked like a designer birdcage. I never saw the car finished but I presume it was.

No7
When I was a young apprentice another apprentice said to me; "you're just like my brother - always got your head in a racing car magazine but you don't do anything". I thought that was a bit harsh because I was only on about 8 bucks a week so I was hardly in a position to start my campaign to be the Worlds next Fangio.
As it happened he was only half-right because his brother was Malcolm Coffey who did do something. He had the Triang and then bought the Cossack Escort from Jack Nazer and had the extreme misfortune to write it off on it's first outing (at Levin).
Like his brother he emigrated to Canada.
As for me, I had seen enough cars and drivers suffering damage by then and had lost interest in being the Worlds next Fangio. Someone else would have to do it.

No10
Seems to be a mystery here. Ross Gordon (met him once) had a service station in Adelaide Road, near the Basin Reserve, then a car sales nearby. Gary Lang didn't recall him having a fastback nor does a good friend of mine who knocked around with him back then. He had a couple of Monaros, raced Minis and then got into rallying around 1974 with an Escort.
Lost his life with 2 others when the car he was a back seat passenger in left the road and landed on the rocks at Houghton Bay on the Wellington coast.

David Hunter

45DCOE
04-26-2016, 10:54 PM

Does the ex Simpson Anglia still exist ?

Jack Nazer

Spgeti
04-26-2016, 11:34 PM
Yes the David Simpson Anglia still exists. The Anglia #212 is it and at that stage of its life was owned by David Goodlass. I have seen it within the last few months. Owner proposes to restore it but unsure to which stage in its life.

SPman
04-27-2016, 01:46 AM
The original 1966 stage would be good.

fhuket
05-22-2016, 10:17 AM
I remember a Orange Breadvan Anglia with I think a black roof at the end of a driveway in an old house over Govenors Bay way in the hills over ChCh Lyttleton way in the ninteys. Was there for years and may still be ? Looked a bit like it was just left for dead to be rescued one day. Never went and asked about it but would these days if I went back down there.

bry3500
05-22-2016, 10:48 AM
I remember a Orange Breadvan Anglia with I think a black roof at the end of a driveway in an old house over Govenors Bay way in the hills over ChCh Lyttleton way in the ninteys. Was there for years and may still be ? Looked a bit like it was just left for dead to be rescued one day. Never went and asked about it but would these days if I went back down there.

This one fhuket. It went up on Trademe in 2008

fhuket
05-22-2016, 08:48 PM
This one fhuket. It went up on Trademe in 2008
Yes that is the one. I remember the big FORD badges you could see from the road.
Someone told me that the guy had another there but cant confirm ?
I see the trailer has Julian Tordoff (Top Town Spoilers, Tyres etc) on the side in the old original photo so may have been built by him.

Steve Holmes
05-22-2016, 09:31 PM
Yes thats correct, I emailed Julian Tordoff about the car when we first posted Mike Feisst's photo of it at the Hamilton car show and he confirmed he'd built it.

Oldfart
05-23-2016, 02:17 AM
From Julian in the last few minutes
Wow that's the first time I've seen that shot in 45 years
I built the car for Bruce Alchin of Hamilton out of a brand new body cost was $660 back in 1968 so was just a few dollars short of a new Anglia we had a 1340 engine 36 cam ex Chch went quite good for its time
One of 11 different cars that I built Over years

fhuket
05-23-2016, 02:25 AM
From Julian in the last few minutes
Wow that's the first time I've seen that shot in 45 years
I built the car for Bruce Alchin of Hamilton out of a brand new body cost was $660 back in 1968 so was just a few dollars short of a new Anglia we had a 1340 engine 36 cam ex Chch went quite good for its time
One of 11 different cars that I built Over years
Cool.
I knew it was different when I spotted it way back in the 80's but I was just getting into the Falcon GT's so didn't do anything about it.

Grant Sprague
05-23-2016, 06:31 AM
Obviously nothing wrong with your eye site, small but that is good stuff.

Grant Sprague
05-23-2016, 06:33 AM
This is the same anglia as above on tow truck, my job was to get it on and off trailer .. about 13 yrs old here

Grant Sprague
05-23-2016, 08:33 AM
34841 This was ruapuna a yr or two later , now a super lite weight, mini lites , alloy, diff head , tail shaft, bell housing ...etc etc

45DCOE
09-12-2022, 08:27 AM
Anyone know who this is. From Wellington region

45DCOE
09-12-2022, 08:32 AM
Same Anglia in original form at Houghton Bay

45DCOE
09-12-2022, 08:36 AM
Same Anglia at Hill Climb in Waiarapa

Milan Fistonic
09-12-2022, 10:39 AM
Anyone know who this is. From Wellington region

The Anglia CO6528 was driven by Terry Huxford at a Houghton Bay Hillclimb in April 1966. The caption to a photo of the car states that it was just before carrying out body modifications.

45DCOE
09-14-2022, 07:06 AM
The Anglia CO6528 was driven by Terry Huxford at a Houghton Bay Hillclimb in April 1966. The caption to a photo of the car states that it was just before carrying out body modifications.

Thanks Milan, do you know if Gary and Terry shared the same car.

Found this John Lawton image of Warren Reid in the ex Francevic Anglia at Matamata There were lots of variations of getting enough clearance for the front wheels. The Dave Simpson Anglia in my opinion was the neatest

45DCOE
09-14-2022, 07:25 AM

Alex Wilson image. Terry's Anglia on trailer, Alex's original Hybird Anglia

Oldfart
09-14-2022, 08:17 AM

Alex Wilson image. Terry's Anglia on trailer, Alex's original Hybird Anglia

I get "invalid attachment" with this post.

45DCOE
09-15-2022, 01:41 AM

Alex Wilson image again

45DCOE
09-15-2022, 01:46 AM

Houghton Bay