PDA

View Full Version : HMC Supporters Queensland Trip.

fullnoise68
02-10-2013, 05:23 AM
With at least 8, possibly 10, HMC competitors taking our muscle cars to Queensland, to race at Queensland Raceway on the 21 - 23 June and Lakeside Park on the 19 - 21 July, I am going to price out a `supporters trip' for the first round at QR on the 21 - 23 June, as this meeting is called the `Shannons Two Days of Thunder' and is going to be quite a big deal. I realise that several members aren`t up for paying an annual sub for the Roaring Season, so this probably isn`t for them. With the interest HMC created at the Denny Hulme Festival, I believe it`s possible to get a group of 20 - 30 people together to experience a similar V8 event on the other side of the ditch. I`ll have some more info later this week, so what are your thoughts?

kiwi285
02-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Hi Steve,

Would like to find out what the costs might be. Do we know what other classes will be on the program being a Shannons sponsored event ?

fullnoise68
02-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Mike, I`ll get Dale to scan and post the promo poster for the event which tells you whats racing.

nigel watts
02-10-2013, 10:53 AM

Shannon's Two Days of Thunder
June 22nd - 23rd, 2013

GATES OPEN: 8:00AM
ON TRACK: FROM 8:30AM

Saturday: Adult $20, Children 12 and under: FREE
Sunday: Adult $30, Children 12 and under: FREE
Weekend: Adult $40, Children 12 and under: FREE

For all the info you need on Shannons Two Days of Thunder , read through the info below. Any questions about feel free to give us a call on 1800 RACERS or drop us an email to events@qldraceways.com.au
Classes
Group N Historic Touring Cars
QLD V8's
Trans Am
Cobra/GT40
Porsche Invitational
Porsche Sprints
LW Sports Sedans
Muscle Car Sprint
S/C Regularity

Show and Shine

Shannons Muscle car trophy List:
Porsche Invitational Race Class B 1st 2nd 3rd (race Trophies) for smaller cars
Best GT Falcon 4 door
Best Falcon Coupe
Best Camaro
Best Mustang Coupe
Best Mustang Fastback
Best Mustang Convertible
Best Torana
Best 4 door Muscle car
Best Ute
Best Modified Muscle car.
Best Muscle car (Other)
Best Replica (GT40/Cobra)

Overview

The event will feature Historic Touring Cars, big American V8's, Trans-Am Race cars as well as the roar of V8 Muscle Cars. Jim Richards, 7 times Bathurst winner, will demonstrate his driving skills and sign autographs throughout the weekend.
With track highlights including Black Trucks/Tranzmile Historic Group N, Cobra & GT40's, there will be plenty to get your pulse racing. And the fun doesn't stop there...

The event will boast a relaxed 'access all areas' atmosphere allowing families and enthusiasts arare chance to see some of the world's most exciting cars up close.

Shannon's Show and Shine will bring some of the country's most prestigious cars to South EastQueensland.

Richard Rawcliffe, Media Officer stated, "this is one of the most exciting weekends on our
calendar, there are no flimsy little cars, only big, loud and fast cars, driven by guys not afraid drive a car hard when the situation demands it."

fullnoise68
02-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks Nigel.

Kiwiboss
02-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks for posting Nigel.

I've been to this event several times including last year, not as big as the Festival or the Muscle Car Masters but still well worth the trip and also a great time of the year to be in Queensland weather wise!! I've only been to Lakeside for a car show were Shane Wilson(70 Mustang TA) drove me around the track, very tight and short, sorta reminds me of old Taupo before the additions, still a very "Historic" race track and it'll be fun to compete there.

Dale M

Steve Holmes
02-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Thats a bloody great idea Steve!

TonyG
02-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Would have thought that this one would have been the better event to take a tour to.

More chance of the Bowdens Family running a couple of their cars at this meeting (Hint Hint Dan Bowden)
Willowbank is as boring as bats..t to watch cars on. No character ! Like 4 dragstrips joined with corners.

fullnoise68
02-12-2013, 05:07 AM
Tony, there are several reasons we have opted for the trip for the first round at Queensland Raceway, with a few things behind the scenes. To say it is as boring as bats.... when was the last Trans Tasman Muscle Car challenge you watched there?. As the meetings are some 3 weeks apart people can still come back for seconds, but our trip is primarily to fit in with what the Aussies are organising for us.

TonyG
02-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Tony, there are several reasons we have opted for the trip for the first round at Queensland Raceway, with a few things behind the scenes. To say it is as boring as bats.... when was the last Trans Tasman Muscle Car challenge you watched there?. As the meetings are some 3 weeks apart people can still come back for seconds, but our trip is primarily to fit in with what the Aussies are organising for us.

Fair enough re what has been organised for you! Makes sense.
Personal preference re the tracks I guess. I know of about 20 expats and families that are passing on Willowbank, Trans Tasman or No Trans Tasman yet are all geared up to go to Lakeside to see the same Trans Am/HMC cars run.
The extra draw of seeing the Gp A and Gp C cars is the common denominator in all discussions we have had.

Roger Dowding
02-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Hey, amazing I live 40 minutes from " Lakeside at Kurwongbah " on Bribie Island, so will be there. Shannons have a display at present at North Lakes again about 40 minutes away with a 1964 Mustang notchback in race trim and a 1967 fastback. look forward to seeing the Kiwi cars as a local of 4 years in Aus and 60 years in NZ.

macpac
02-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Fair enough re what has been organised for you! Makes sense.
Personal preference re the tracks I guess. I know of about 20 expats and families that are passing on Willowbank, Trans Tasman or No Trans Tasman yet are all geared up to go to Lakeside to see the same Trans Am/HMC cars run.
The extra draw of seeing the Gp A and Gp C cars is the common denominator in all discussions we have had.

All I can say to that Tony is they musn't be real Petrol Heads (like me then), because to me racing is racing no matter what track it's on and it's all great to watch.
QR is a little basic as a race track but the Trans Am cars have always put on a good show their and had some great battles. I would go and watch them race at the local shopping centre car park if necessary.
Isn't it meant to be about the enjoyment and support? After all the guy's from NZ are spending there hard earned to come across and put on a show so they deserve to be supported (at both events).
In my opinion anyway.

fullnoise68
02-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Exactly Steve. I have spoken to mates of mine from Melbourne and NSW and they are going regardless of which track it`s at. What people have realised is NEVER has a group this size of `period correct' big bangers from NZ gone to race in Aussie at the same time. Our cars are more akin to what used to race both here and in Aussie some 40 years ago, and Shannons are obviously aware of this, and it`ll be a pretty special occassion to be part of.

TonyG
02-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Fair comments from both Steves but I guess it also comes down to the individuals financial situations and to whether they can afford to attend both meetings.
I for one would need to ditch her indoors and the kids to be able to attend both.
For some of us, money only stretches so far no matter how much we want to do things or attend events but it doesn't mean we are not petrolheads at heart.
Anyway, enough said and I too look forward to seeing you all at Lakeside when the time comes.
Cheers
Tony

Steve Holmes
02-13-2013, 07:45 PM
I hear what you're saying Tony about QR. Its come under a lot of criticism since first opening for its lack of character, from both drivers and race fans. I only learned recently why it lacks character, and the original plans were for it to be a far more interesting circuit. Lakeside, on the other hand, has bags of character, and is incredibly historic. Its still a really great little track.

But from what the Aussie Trans-Am guys tell me, just for the spectator and car enthusiast, the QR event overall should be a bit more interesting. And, I'm sure the Trans-Am and HMC cars will be able to provide the character that the QR track layout lacks with a bit of sideways action and entertaining racing.

macpac
02-14-2013, 03:05 AM
Fair comments from both Steves but I guess it also comes down to the individuals financial situations and to whether they can afford to attend both meetings.
I for one would need to ditch her indoors and the kids to be able to attend both.
For some of us, money only stretches so far no matter how much we want to do things or attend events but it doesn't mean we are not petrolheads at heart.
Anyway, enough said and I too look forward to seeing you all at Lakeside when the time comes.
Cheers
Tony

Sorry Tony I didn't mean to give you both barrels and do understand where you are coming from. I guess if my finances were limited and I had to make a choice I would probably pick Lakeside as well. They will both be excellent race meetings especially with all of the Kiwi cars there as well. The guy that owns Shannon's is very impressed with the Trans Am class hence a little support from them.

The class is going from strength to strength with quite a number of cars under construction, my Camaro included. There will eventually be around 30 cars running. Cheers Steve McLean.

macpac
02-14-2013, 03:06 AM
Exactly Steve. I have spoken to mates of mine from Melbourne and NSW and they are going regardless of which track it`s at. What people have realised is NEVER has a group this size of `period correct' big bangers from NZ gone to race in Aussie at the same time. Our cars are more akin to what used to race both here and in Aussie some 40 years ago, and Shannons are obviously aware of this, and it`ll be a pretty special occassion to be part of.

Hey Steve is Craig Stacey bringing his Javelin across?

John McKechnie
02-14-2013, 03:10 AM
When asked for entries, I saw his hand go up.

macpac
02-14-2013, 03:22 AM
When asked for entries, I saw his hand go up.

Thanks John. I met him and Shona when they came over and stayed with John English and also again at the Eatern Creek Muscle Car Masters. Lovely people but of course aren't all of us Kiwi's????? Even us expats.

fullnoise68
02-14-2013, 03:28 AM
Yes Steve, the `wildman' from out west is in.

macpac
02-14-2013, 03:41 AM
Yes Steve, the `wildman' from out west is in.

Good Stuff. Looking forward to meeting all of you guy's.

John McKechnie
02-14-2013, 04:39 AM
Hi macpac-I would love to come over , but am starting restoration of the team Cambridge HK Monaro built by Spinner Black for Rod Coppins to race in 1969. Will put my hand up to come over next year with it. I came over to Aus in 84 to race Transtasman BMX. Everyone was great, still have not lost the bruises from Logan City track

macpac
02-14-2013, 05:17 AM
Hi macpac-I would love to come over , but am starting restoration of the team Cambridge HK Monaro built by Spinner Black for Rod Coppins to race in 1969. Will put my hand up to come over next year with it. I came over to Aus in 84 to race Transtasman BMX. Everyone was great, still have not lost the bruises from Logan City track

Hi John would love to see you over here too. That Monaro should be a bit of kit once completed. At least you are travelling a bit faster these days, the BMX might be a little slow around QR and Lakeside.

TonyG
02-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Sorry Tony I didn't mean to give you both barrels and do understand where you are coming from. I guess if my finances were limited and I had to make a choice I would probably pick Lakeside as well. They will both be excellent race meetings especially with all of the Kiwi cars there as well. The guy that owns Shannon's is very impressed with the Trans Am class hence a little support from them.

The class is going from strength to strength with quite a number of cars under construction, my Camaro included. There will eventually be around 30 cars running. Cheers Steve McLean.

All good Steve. I look forward to seeing your car too when it is finished.

macpac
02-16-2013, 04:51 AM
All good Steve. I look forward to seeing your car too when it is finished.

Thanks Tony. It (Camaro) is going to take longer than I would like unfortunately, but I will be at all of the Trans Am meetings this year and usually hang out with John English and Ian (Woody) Woodward. Track me down at one of the meetings and say Gidday. It's always good to meet a fellow Kiwi petrol head. There's not many of us over here. LOL!!!

John McKechnie
02-16-2013, 05:52 AM
macpac- do what I did, give yourself a race meeting deadline and then ignore family, friends, work, tv, walking the dogs and call in favours. There are 24 hours in the day, 7 days in the week.
Brakes one week, front suspension next week, then rear suspension following.
Anything just to get the car there and participate.
Worry about cost and consequences later..........
Its called prioritizing or leave it too long and the enthusiasm runs out.

seaqnmac27
02-16-2013, 05:57 AM
I will endeavour to get to both events

macpac
02-16-2013, 08:55 PM
macpac- do what I did, give yourself a race meeting deadline and then ignore family, friends, work, tv, walking the dogs and call in favours. There are 24 hours in the day, 7 days in the week.
Brakes one week, front suspension next week, then rear suspension following.
Anything just to get the car there and participate.
Worry about cost and consequences later..........
Its called prioritizing or leave it too long and the enthusiasm runs out.

Thanks John. My enthusiasm will definately not run out I can assure you of that but at the moment the money has. Unfortumately I have to rely on and pay other people to do the work but will get there.

John McKechnie
02-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Good on you mate.

fullnoise68
02-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Just a bit of an update on what`s happening. There are a few things in the pipeline that may make it viable to do two seperate trips. Later next week we will have a better idea of costs, etc which will be based on around 20 people travelling. If we do a Lakeside supporters trip in July, as there are a few bits for the HMC guys to sort out on the Monday, Dan Bowden has confirmed with me that we can see their prized collection on the Tuesday 23rd after Lakeside, then fly home Tuesday night. Once I know more, I`ll put it on here.

TonyG
02-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Put the squeeze on Dan to bring the Fahey Stang down to the Lakeside meet as a display car like they did with a couple in 2011. Be the ideal meeting to have it on show.

Steve Emson
02-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks Tony. It (Camaro) is going to take longer than I would like unfortunately, but I will be at all of the Trans Am meetings this year and usually hang out with John English and Ian (Woody) Woodward. Track me down at one of the meetings and say Gidday. It's always good to meet a fellow Kiwi petrol head. There's not many of us over here. LOL!!!

Might have to see if i can remember the way out to the tracks, and have a look at whats happening these days. looks like good meetings planned.

macpac
02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Might have to see if i can remember the way out to the tracks, and have a look at whats happening these days. looks like good meetings planned.

I'm sure you haven't forgotten your way Stevo. Would be good to catch up with you at one of the meetings. They should be awesome meetings.

crunch
02-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Wow! Sounds like a dream come true. How ignorant of me as I thought Lakeside didnt exist anymore. Loved to watch the ATCC Sierra's etc at Lakeside on TV, brilliant circuit, especially that turn one, and the downhill. The only time I have been to the Gold Coast was in 98 and was with the family, but I managed to find Lakeside circuit and just stand at the gate visualising the cars roaring down that hill towards me. Awesome memories, wonder if the wife and three pre-schoolers will let me go? Or maybe;....I know she will let me come if I bring the kids!! Whoose up for helping me with them...??????????

wynna7
02-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Wow! Sounds like a dream come true. How ignorant of me as I thought Lakeside didnt exist anymore. Loved to watch the ATCC Sierra's etc at Lakeside on TV, brilliant circuit, especially that turn one, and the downhill. The only time I have been to the Gold Coast was in 98 and was with the family, but I managed to find Lakeside circuit and just stand at the gate visualising the cars roaring down that hill towards me. Awesome memories, wonder if the wife and three pre-schoolers will let me go? Or maybe;....I know she will let me come if I bring the kids!! Whoose up for helping me with them...??????????

Good luck with that fella!!!!!!!!!!

kiwi285
02-21-2013, 11:51 PM
If I had a choice I would prefer to go to the meeting where we could see the Bowden collection in its entirety.

Kiwiboss
02-22-2013, 03:37 AM
A fantastic Poster organised by Steve Elliott. Dale M

fullnoise68
02-22-2013, 03:55 AM
The only reason the graphic designers used this photo - which yes my Camaro is in the front alongside Woodys' Pontiac - is because the background colours were more suited to the lettering colours that they used. We were only given a few photos from Alex Mitchell to choose from as these are part of a portfolio him and Terry Marshall are doing for Gulf Oil, so thanks Alex and Terry for supporting HMC at no cost for your work.

crunch
02-22-2013, 04:51 AM
Why do you want them Aussies to tie down their kangaroos?
They might ask cant you run fast enough to get one of your own.....

fullnoise68
02-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Crunch, it`s taking the mickey out of the Aussies over their `sheep shagger' jokes!

TonyG
02-23-2013, 11:18 PM
If I had a choice I would prefer to go to the meeting where we could see the Bowden collection in its entirety.

That could be difficult although Steve did mention they are working on a tour of the collection.

Bowdens don't traditionally have multiple cars at the Shannons Thunder meets and as per the Gold Coast V8 meetings the logistics of displaying /running the cars with transport/insurance and god knows what else, have limited them to maybe 3 or 4 at a time - Lakeside 2011 I got to see and photograph, Moffstang, Tru Blu, and Beechey Munro but when they are present a few others appear as well like the Thompson Camaro and the Geogheghan Stang, 2 x Johnson XC Coupes etc which are owned by other collectors.

I guess the Bowden Collection participation will depend on whether they are actually asked by the organizers in time to prepare the cars. They were left out last year until a week before Lakeside when it became obvious the attendance numbers were going to be down with no "Old School Name Driver" cars on display. By then it was too shorter time frame and they had made commitments elsewhere.
Organisers were getting peppered with questions for months on social media by people asking what cars would be on display in 2012 and the answer was always the same - we are working on it. Didn't happen, so I hope they hae been in contact with Dan early this time. Dan, are you out there ?

fullnoise68
02-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Tony, at the moment we have a tour of the Bowden collection booked for the Tuesday after Lakeside. Once my travel agent mate gets back to work tomorrow - he`s been on breavement leave - he`ll get his costings finished and we`ll go from there. With getting planning for the two events underway earlier this year, Shannons and the QR Management are well aware of the publicity and promotion of a `Trans Tasman Muscle Car/ Big Banger Challenge' and no doubt Shannons will get some of the Bowdens cars involved for display if they can. My understanding from talking to one of the organisers last week is that things like having Allan Moffat with his ( Bowdens)Mustang at one of the meetings for photos/autographs is just one of the things they may try to put together because of his Aussie/NZ racing involvement in that car. By all accounts they are both going to be big meetings.......

TonyG
02-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Cheers Steve.
I have heard from Dan today and up till this morning they have had no talks or approaches from anyone about having their cars at either meeting. He hopes they hurry up as to quote him, "They really dropped the ball last year by leaving it till the last week to ask them to come", and they do take time to prepare.
Talk Paul Fahey into coming over for a drive in his old car.lol. I would be waiting at the gate at dawn for that. I keep drooling over the pictures on the Bowdens Own site of his old car.

Steve Holmes
02-25-2013, 12:27 AM
A fantastic Poster organised by Steve Elliott. Dale M

This is an awesome poster! When was the photo taken?

fullnoise68
02-25-2013, 02:58 AM
On the Thursday afternoon before the second weekend Steve. Terry Marshall and Alex Mitchell were doing a photo portfolio for Gulf Oil taking the photos from the back of a ute.

Steve Holmes
02-25-2013, 03:37 AM
Thanks Steve, it looks bloody great!

fullnoise68
03-08-2013, 09:15 PM
For those that may be interested: With what the Aussies are organising for the 8 HMC guys that are taking our cars over to Queensland, it has became apparent that as a supporters trip should be based on the best value for money, so we have priced out a trip for the second round at Lakeside in July, as there is more scope to do a few other things around that event. Based on 20 people travelling, including airfares ex Auckland, hotel transfers, 4 nights accommodation twin share rooms with breakfast each day, bus travel to/from races each day, 3 days general admission tickets, plus 2 HMC t shirts per person, the cost will be approx $1375 per person. This is based on arriving in Queensland Thursday afternoon and coming home Monday night. I have organised a tour of the Bowdens Car Collection on the Tuesday, but the numbers are limited and most of the HMC guys and their group will be keen to see these cars, so some may choose to want to stay an extra night to include this ( at extra cost). The Lakeside event includes Group A and Group C cars and this will be a pretty big event. I have only tried to put this deal together for those that may be keen to support us, and if you are, email me at vmt@xtra.co.nz to register your interest. I need to have an indication of numbers by March 28th, with a $500.00 deposit per person paid by April 10th. Not only are they Historic Muscle Cars, this will also be an Historic trip!
The eight HMC cars going are: Dale Mathers - Boss Mustang, Nigel MacDonald - Mustang Fastback, Pete Stevenson - Mustang Fastback, Dean Cameron - Mustang Fastback, Craig Stacey - AMC Javelin, Murray Brown - Chev Camaro, Kevin Gimblett - Chev Camaro, Steve Elliott - Chev Camaro.

Steve Holmes
03-09-2013, 05:22 AM
Great work Steve, you're doing an awesome job.

TonyG
03-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Awesome. Looking forward to seeing you all.

kiwi285
03-10-2013, 02:58 AM
Hi Steve, I see that the main tour is due to Depart Brisbane on Monday evening, but the Bowdens tour to set down for Tuesday. Ant idea at the extra cost to stay another day to see that facility ?

Cheers Mike

fullnoise68
03-10-2013, 07:42 AM
It`ll depend on numbers Mike, but probably about another $180 NZD to cover another night, bus, Bowdens, etc. I got your email yesterday, and I`ll have a better idea closer to the deadline.

Kiwiboss
03-12-2013, 02:05 AM
Poster format not quite finished!!

superroo69
03-12-2013, 02:52 AM
I will definitely be looking forward to you guys coming over and competing at both QR & Lakeside... I need a few more motor sport photos!!! :-) Might even bring out my XWGT for a few laps in the "Sprints" so could be a couple of big weekends.

As for the comments about the two tracks... both will be challenging for all, but all will enjoy Lakeside more... it is a real driver's circuit and has so much character.

Can't wait until you get here.

Paul

fullnoise68
03-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Thanks to Nigel Watts for his time and effort - not to mention the photos! - in compiling these for our posters we`re getting done to giveaway at the two events.

superroo69
03-12-2013, 04:56 AM
Just so you know what you are up against, here is a shot I took a couple of years ago. Will try to put up some more recent images later.

macpac
03-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Just so you know what you are up against, here is a shot I took a couple of years ago. Will try to put up some more recent images later.

This was taken late 2012 and is some of what you are up against. Sorry about the quality.

Frosty5
06-01-2013, 09:50 AM
To the Kiwi contingent. I know it's a bit early but just a note to wish all you guys taking your cars over all the best for the two weekends. Lakeside is certainly a challenging track with it's off camber sections particularly the carousel. Just wish I could be there but someone has to stay behind and keep the wheels of industry turning!!LOL. Plus the home executive requires my presence also. So take care you guys and again all the very best.

Cheers Dave

ERC
06-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks to Nigel Watts for his time and effort - not to mention the photos! - in compiling these for our posters we`re getting done to giveaway at the two events.
Can you save me a poster please? I have fair collection of motoring memorabilia and as I can't get over to support you, at least i can add a poster to the collection!

Have a great time and I hope that all cars all come back in good mechanical and body order.

225sloper
06-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Good luck other there guys. . show them kiwis can fly18665186661866718668

225sloper
06-02-2013, 12:54 AM

Kiwiboss
06-02-2013, 05:37 AM
Here we go!!!

fullnoise68
06-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Got a message today from the bridge of the ship taking our HMC cars to Aussie. `Waves 40 - 60 feet, huge seas, all 4 Mustangs violently seasick, Javelin seedy, all 3 Camaros in fine health, over and out!'

ERC
06-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Who can't spell Queensland?

fullnoise68
06-04-2013, 07:12 AM
The Aussies, and they are from there!

John McKechnie
06-04-2013, 07:12 AM
ERC- its actually how they pronounce it.

Oldfart
06-04-2013, 07:41 AM
ERC- its actually how they pronounce it.

Like counting with sex!

John McKechnie
06-04-2013, 07:47 AM
They spelt KIWI correctly.

TonyG
07-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Not long now. Weather pretty crappy early today but supposed to be clearing for this weekend so hopefully it carries on through to the next weekend and the big event.
For the group A and C followers, this came online today;
HERITAGE TOURING CARS RETURN TO LAKESIDE

When: Lakeside Classic, Saturday 20-Sunday 21 July 2013

Event Location: Lakeside Park, Kurwongbah

Admission: $20pp Saturday, $30pp Sunday or $40 for a weekend pass, kids 12 and under FREE!

Perennial crowd pleasers, Heritage Touring Cars will head to the exhilarating Lakeside Raceway for the 2013 Lakeside Classic across the weekend of 19-21st July for the third round of the 2013 championship series.

A bumper grid of 26 original Group C and Group A Bathurst touring cars will thunder around the tight and challenging Lakeside circuit, with Jim Richards joining the series for the first time in his Nissan Skyline HR31 - the very car that he raced in the 1990 Australian Touring Car Championship.

Looking after Jim's Nissan shall be none other than the Gibson Motorsport team, headed by Fred Gibson and Alan Heaphy. Talk about getting the band back together...

Speaking of Australian motorsport high achievers, Gold Star winner and touring car legend Kevin Bartlett shall be on hand to present the inaugural "Kevin Bartlett Lakeside Challenge Trophy".

New for 2013, the trophy acknowledges Kevin's involvement with Heritage Touring Cars over recent years, and particularly his personal success at the circuit, where he won the "Governor's Trophy" in several Australian Driving Championship races in the late 60s and early 70s.

And not to be outdone, 1966 Bathurst winner Bob Holden - a stalwart of the Heritage Touring Car scene - will be coming along to what he does best - racing and reminiscing.

The action on track shall be non-stop, with 5 sprint races scheduled across the weekend. Jim won't have it all his own way, with the nimble M3 BMWs and lightening fast Sierras challenging, and a menacing Walkinshaw HRT Commodore thrown in for good measure. Did we mention the Greens Tuf ex Dick Johnson Mustang? Wearing the famous number 17, the striking green machine is bound to be a favourite with the locals.

So, grab the family and come and see what racing used to be like. From the Group C era (1973-84), you'll see the big banger Commodores, Toranas and Mazda RX7s, as well as a gaggle of Escorts and Celicas.

Group A (1985-92) brings an even greater variety with Starions, Gazelles, Supras and Corollas joining the front running Nissans, M3s and Mustang to ensure the racing is door hand to door handle right across the field - and the weekend.

Should be an awesome weekend. Have organized to get my old camera back from the guy I sold it to for the weekend so hopefully I can get some good shots.
Cheers
Tony

TonyG
07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Some teasers;
The David Wall Geoghegan Mustang that will be racing with the Group N cars.
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Legends/LS353-4.jpg (http://s448.photobucket.com/user/TGPhotography/media/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Legends/LS353-4.jpg.html)

Trans Ams
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Trans%20Ams/LS292-4.jpg (http://s448.photobucket.com/user/TGPhotography/media/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Trans%20Ams/LS292-4.jpg.html)

Group C
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Lakeside%20Gp%20C/LS515-4.jpg (http://s448.photobucket.com/user/TGPhotography/media/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Lakeside%20Gp%20C/LS515-4.jpg.html)

Group A
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Gp%20A/LS529-4.jpg (http://s448.photobucket.com/user/TGPhotography/media/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Gp%20A/LS529-4.jpg.html)

Steve Ellery's old EL? Super Cheap Falcon will apparently also be there doing laps.

fullnoise68
07-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks for that Tony, Jim Richards did tell us at QR that the punters literally line the track by being able to stand right behind the armco, and your photos show that. It sounds like Kevin Bartlett is also possibly now coming to our Saturday night function, and we`ll know in the next few days if Jim can get Fred Gibson and Alan Heaphy to join us as well.

Malcolm McLeod
07-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Is there anywhere online (other then The Roaring season of course!) we can get updates on the race results, etc?

DewiAusTransAm
07-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Is there anywhere online (other then The Roaring season of course!) we can get updates on the race results, etc?

There is a website called 'Natsoft Race Results'.. once that loads, click on the 'Circuit Racing' icon at the top of the page, and when this shows up, just click the event you want (will be something like 2013 Lakeside Classic) and then the category (Trans-Am)

Malcolm McLeod
07-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Cheers - thanks for that!

There is a website called 'Natsoft Race Results'.. once that loads, click on the 'Circuit Racing' icon at the top of the page, and when this shows up, just click the event you want (will be something like 2013 Lakeside Classic) and then the category (Trans-Am)

seaqnmac27
07-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Just be aware that the forecast is wet at this stage

Steve Holmes
07-15-2013, 08:16 AM

Malcolm, as Dewi has pointed out, Natsoft do a fantastic job providing race results from all Aussie events, being updated after every race. Keep an eye out this weekend for the Lakeside event at: http://racing.natsoft.com.au/results/#1

Steve Holmes
07-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Huge thanks to Dewi Jones, from the Australian Trans-Am Association for sending me these pics from yesterdays practice session. More to come from todays action. Thanks Dewi!

Steve Holmes
07-19-2013, 08:03 PM

Steve Holmes
07-19-2013, 08:04 PM

seaqnmac27
07-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Will be there tomorrow

DewiAusTransAm
07-22-2013, 09:58 AM
On behalf of everyone at the Australian Trans-Am Association, we thank all the kiwis who have made the trip over to race with us at the two rounds, especially to the fans who came to Lakeside.. for me, it truly was an unforgettable weekend, and one that I will reflect on for a great time.. It was an honour to be able to shoot the drivers parade from the back of a ute on Sunday..
Was at Lakeside today aswell as my brother and I had been awarded a hot lap with Jim Richards in his Porsche cup car by the kiwis (who were also there today to load up the cars), and it truly was a thrilling experience, although he only managed a cruisy 1.00.67 around Lakeside, his quickest was a 54.6 with John Harris of Bryan Byrt Ford fame... I'd like to thank Steve Elliott especially for putting all this together.. The kiwis are off to Bowden's tomorrow before flying back home!!