PDA

View Full Version : Hampton Downs - up for sale

ERC
02-14-2013, 09:07 AM
It's making a profit but is now up for sale, as they really need extra funding to continue the expansion. I'd be very sorry indeed if Tony & Chris couldn't carry on, as we owe them so much.

Kiwiboss
02-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Nar that doesn't sound right Ray, if they sold it then they wouldn't the need the money to continue expansion as they wouldn't own it anymore!!! thats like saying "i need to sell my race car so i can continue to fund racing it" but indeed i do agree that the whole motorsport community does owe alot to T & C.

Lets hope they make some dosh this weekend, certainly the weathers in there favour.

Dale M

CUSTAXIE50
02-14-2013, 10:29 PM
where did you hear the place was up for sale ERC.

John McKechnie
02-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Its is todays NZ Herald

CUSTAXIE50
02-14-2013, 11:34 PM
Thanks for that,i will have a look see on the net.

John B
02-15-2013, 12:24 AM
Yes, Hampton Downs Motorsport Park is officially For Sale. Chris & Tony distributed a letter yesterday stating... "We have taken the dream about as far as we can on our limited resources and have decided to therefore engage Bayleys to explore interest in purchasing or further funding of the facility. You can rest assured that it is business as usual at Hampton Downs and we will continue to operate and offer you the first class motorsport experience that you have enjoyed over the last 4 years..."

There is also a Press Release on their website (http://www.hamptondowns.com/pages/107/latestnews.htm).

Powder
02-15-2013, 12:32 AM
More info here:
http://www.nzmotorsportpark.co.nz/

ERC
02-15-2013, 01:50 AM
I wonder how many people overall would be prepared to put up say $1,000 as an interest free loan for a few years to see the track extension built, as when that is up and running, it gives HD an extra income stream immediately, as the existing circuit can be hosting a National Event and the extra club Circuit, run independently, can bring in more dosh. or maybe a consortium could purchase the short circuit only and do a deal when the (combined) international track is required?

As I read Chris & Tony's letter, they are exploring all options to sell part or all of the enterprise to raise cash, or maybe a wealthy investor to take it further. Building the control tower isn't likely to bring in much extra income other than the occasional room rental, but the track extension will.

A best guess estimate to surface the short circuit is about $2.5m when I last spoke to Tony. Not a huge amount when you look at the $10m subsidy for Pukekohe, where there will still only be one track. Maybe the National Government could compensate HD for the extra costs incurred by the previous government, who fought the project, at a great cost to the developers...

Oldfart
02-15-2013, 02:06 AM
Good option Ray. I hold up my hand.

CUSTAXIE50
02-15-2013, 02:17 AM
If you look at it auckland is all about sail boats,look at the coin taxpayers pay into that.It may end up as a fire sale in the end thats the way most things go today would that be right.For me NZ is a place that we can do,what is the cost to finish the place off.

kiwi285
02-15-2013, 02:30 AM
When you see how much National and Local Body money that gets squandered away on frivolous or non important items this seem like a pittance. Maybe the likes of the Alan Glenns' or Gareth Morgans' of the country could be persuaded to front up. If you don't ask you will never know.

CUSTAXIE50
02-15-2013, 03:21 AM
I dont think the likes of alan gareth or gareth morgan are into motorsport are they,to me gareth morgan is someone who wants to save the world not motorsport.

kiwi285
02-15-2013, 03:40 AM
I dont think the likes of alan gareth or gareth morgan are into motorsport are they,to me gareth morgan is someone who wants to save the world not motorsport.

I wasn't thinking of them solely but people of that ilk. Both of those gentlemen support sports - Glenn into the Warriors (Rugby League) and Morgan into The Phoenix (soccer). What would a couple of million more mean to them.

ERC
02-15-2013, 03:54 AM
Maybe Colin Giltrap would be the ideal benefactor and then rename the place after him, as he has done so much for NZ motorsport.

Or even PJ?

CUSTAXIE50
02-15-2013, 03:59 AM
I understand where you are coming from.

nigel watts
02-15-2013, 04:13 AM
Perhaps the young Te Kauwhata guy who won $26M on Big Wednesday might be interested. Apparently he's a racing 'nut' and is currently racing [on dirt tracks I think] in the States at the moment.
But a petrolhead is a petrolhead.
Just a thought. Sometimes silly ideas turn into .....

Parnelli
02-15-2013, 04:57 AM
Media Release

15th February 2013

HAMPTON DOWNS SEEKS INTERNATIONAL BACKING

Investment sought to complete New Zealand’s finest motorsport facility

The two New Zealand motorsport enthusiasts who created Hampton Downs are seeking both National and International investment to secure the long term future of the 350 acre Motorsport Park, located 60km south of central Auckland.

Tony Roberts and Chris Watson have begun a campaign to explore interest in either purchasing or further funding New Zealand’s finest motorsport facility.

“In order to develop Hampton Downs, and take it to the next level; additional funding is required and this investment needs to come from an outside source, said Tony Roberts, the Managing Director of Hampton Downs.

“Chris Watson and I have taken the dream about as far as we can on our limited resources. We have therefore engaged the Bayleys agency to present and market Hampton Downs to new investors”

“In the meantime it is business as usual at Hampton Downs. We will continue to operate and provide the first class motorsport experience motorsport enthusiasts have enjoyed over the last four years,” said Mr Roberts.

In the current configuration the facility is operating successfully and running at near capacity with more than 330 days per year of usage.

“The next logical step is the development of the 1.2km track extension, which would then give us three track options, being the current 2.7km circuit, the 1.2km club circuit and the full international 3.8km circuit.”

“In fact over the next four months Hampton Downs has an amazing calendar of motorsport”.

Since its official opening in January 2010, Hampton Downs has been host to some of New Zealand’s most iconic motor sport events, including the New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing, the International Toyota Racing Series, V8 SuperTourers, the Roycroft Vintage Car Festival, the Chrome Hot Rod Festival, D1NZ Drifting, the New Zealand Superbike Championship and the Barry Sheene Classic Bike meeting.

In recent months there have been further developments at the track including the sealing and upgrading of competitor facilities infield.

Late last year resource consent enabling daily spectator numbers to be increased from 20,000 to 50,000 for major events was approved by the Waikato District Council

“This Resource Consent allows Hampton Downs to fully achieve its potential and become a significant event centre and tourist attraction for the Auckland and Waikato regions.”

“Hampton Downs is just 40 minutes from the centre of Auckland City and the road is dual carriageway motorway for the entire 60kms. Our development provides significant economic benefits for both Auckland and the Waikato region.”

Already Hampton Downs has 250,000 people passing through its gates each year and 2.5 million people reside within 90 minutes of the circuit.

Mr Roberts said the partnership that conceived and created the $70m investment into the International motorsport complex wants to see the 1.2km track extension, corporate suites and race control tower completed as part of the vision.

“We want to complete full 3.8 km circuit that Chris Watson and I dreamed of creating when this project first began in 2004.” said Roberts.

“The basic layout for the extension was done at the same time as the construction of our existing 2.7 km circuit. The foundations were compacted and preloaded five years ago so we already have good foundations for the final sealing,” said Roberts.

“We’re ready to go on the final stages of this exciting Kiwi inspired project.”

Construction of the Hampton Downs Motorsport Park commenced in early 2007, with the original Resource Consent authorising the establishment and operation of the Motorsport Park and the establishment of various business, industrial and rural-residential uses on and around the Motorsport Park site, including 80 apartments.

For further information please contact:

Tony Roberts Managing Director

Hampton Downs

Mobile: +64-21-133 2895

Email: tony@hamptondowns.com &n bsp;