Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Doc on Japanese Classic Car racing and Restoration

Great Doc on Japanese Classic Car racing and Restoration

This is a 45 minute Video well worth watching, classic car restoration and racing in Japan.

http://vimeo.com/58849310#at=0

Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by zombie289 View Post
    Deleted from site
    Was working? thanks TonyG. Dale M

Is there such a thing as a Japanese classic car?

World Champion
    Rogered........I dont think it would be wise to go along that path. There were lots of cars in that video that were not 'Japanese'. Whats more I think we can do restorations in NZ, certainly as good, if not better, and without a doubt cheaper, than these guys were doing.
    And of course the two schools of thought....restore to original, or 'restore' and modify along the way. A bit like that Beecham outfit that specializes in 'improving' older model Jaguars..... argh......bang bang........

What we tend to forget is that Japan has had a 'classic car culture' for some time. Witness all the British vehicles that ended up there. I know my car dismantling friend Glenn, who I have written about in previous threads, has exported container loads of British stuff there, especially BMC. The Mini Cooper is much revered there.

Actually, I think Dale started this thread to try and 'kill-off' the Skoda thread, but most of us nut cases are still here and not in Siberia as he would like!!!!!!!!

The video is great, and there are a lot of grouse cars on there.
    However i have yet to see (in my opinion) any thing come out of the geograhical are that i would ever call a classic.

What scares me more is the thought that we could have, in 40 years a classic GEELY or GREATWALL.
    Worse, Can you imagine the SANGYONG club getting overall honours at elisile in the future.

World Champion
    Fortunately rogered, I will not be around to see such a thing........I would be 113 years OLD. There probably wont be any fuel to run these things on anyway, and they will all be static displays in some museum. But yes, perish the thought.

I can think of quite a few japanese classics and future classics. Early Zeds, Rxs, AE86, early EVOs, WRXs, GTRs etc.

Some of these vehicles values have increased ten fold in the last 10 years due to desirability.....and cult status.

We all know the term "classic" has different meanings to different people. I suppose personal definition is based on what you have and when you were born and got enthused about cars......and what people tell you!!

Oh well Im off out to the shed to look at my Japanese "classic", next to the English "classics"...next to the Ozzie "classics"......and then pop up town in my Japanese non classic......

PS: enjoyed the video.

Gee, call me crazy but I'm a big fan of several late '60s and early-mid '70s Japanese cars, especially some of the rear wheel drive coupes they produced. Much of it was never sold outside Japan, or if it was, in quite small numbers. Even some of the more widely available cars like the 240Z, 510, early rear wheel drive Celica's, Galants etc are nice looking, well proportioned cars, and in my opinion deserved to be considered classics. Also, some of the '60s Japanese prototype sports racing cars are stunning!

To my mind, as much as anything, what the Japanese car industry has brought to the world is build quality, which is something previously lacking from several more established car building countries.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Fortunately rogered, I will not be around to see such a thing........I would be 113 years OLD. There probably wont be any fuel to run these things on anyway, and they will all be static displays in some museum. But yes, perish the thought.
    Yeah, that'd be rite, 113 years old and still driving your Trekka around, LOL

Dale M.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Gee, call me crazy but I'm a big fan of several late '60s and early-mid '70s Japanese cars, especially some of the rear wheel drive coupes they produced. Much of it was never sold outside Japan, or if it was, in quite small numbers. Even some of the more widely available cars like the 240Z, 510, early rear wheel drive Celica's, Galants etc are nice looking, well proportioned cars, and in my opinion deserved to be considered classics. Also, some of the '60s Japanese prototype sports racing cars are stunning!

To my mind, as much as anything, what the Japanese car industry has brought to the world is build quality, which is something previously lacking from several more established car building countries.
    I just like the way they have the same issues as we and the rest of the world have when its comes to restoring and racing classic cars!! i did like seeing the Mk1 Cortina in the back ground on track though(probably had a DETT? or something motor in it)!! i also liked some of the garages with all the junk and parts in the back ground, just like some in NZ.

Great video i thought.

Dale M

World Champion
    Ok so Datsun 240Z, Toyota 2000GT and Mazda RX3 are NOT classic cars? sorry are not GREAT Classic Cars? Then what about the Honda S600 or the Prince Skyline or Datsun 510/1600 and that is just some of the late 60's early 70s classics, without going into the more modern classics. It is a little narrow minded just palm off of a certain countries cars without taking a closer look at what is underneath.

World Champion

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Ok so Datsun 240Z, Toyota 2000GT and Mazda RX3 are NOT classic cars? sorry are not GREAT Classic Cars? Then what about the Honda S600 or the Prince Skyline or Datsun 510/1600 and that is just some of the late 60's early 70s classics, without going into the more modern classics. It is a little narrow minded just palm off of a certain countries cars without taking a closer look at what is underneath.
    Well said , no place for one eyed " Redneck " attitude here !

World Champion
    Boys, the title 'Classic Car' has been bandied around since Auntie fell off the tram. But there is a sure way to tell whether a car deserves to be called a Classic or not, and it doesnt matter whether it came from Australaia, Italy, Japan, or indeed Czechoslovakia!!!!!!

The vehicle in question is NOT a classic........unless IT LEAKS OIL.........

'Laughter is the best medicine, but if you are laughing without any reason......you need medicine'.

.....and of course you know when your classic car needs oil, it does not drop any more on your nice concrete.

Was nice concrete, now soaked in oil......

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Boys, the title 'Classic Car' has been bandied around since Auntie fell off the tram. But there is a sure way to tell whether a car deserves to be called a Classic or not, and it doesnt matter whether it came from Australaia, Italy, Japan, or indeed Czechoslovakia!!!!!!

The vehicle in question is NOT a classic........unless IT LEAKS OIL.........

'Laughter is the best medicine, but if you are laughing without any reason......you need medicine'.
    I nominate this for 'post of the day!'

Gerald- a Classic never dates.
    Do you date?
    If not then you are a Classic.