Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Alan Smith Collection

Photos: The Alan Smith Collection

Name:  img015.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  149.8 KB

Here is the latest collection of beautiful historic motor racing photos to be sent to me. This collection came about thanks to Allan Walton at New Zealand Classic Car magazine, who'd put the collections owner, Alan Smith, in touch with me. After I'd written a brief review of the 1967 NZ Saloon Car Championship for NZCC, reader Alan Smith spotted a couple of the photos used in the article that were supplied by Brett Young, taken at Levin in late 1966, and was sure they were his. This prompted him to delve into his own collection, long since stored away, to check.

In fact, the photos used in the article weren't Alan's, but the photo angles were very similar. Indeed, he and Brett may have bumped into each other trying to get their shots in! Its a small world when you think about it.

So from here, Alan offered to supply his photos for Roaring Season members and visitors to enjoy. And they're really superb images. Most are from Levin, during the 1966, 1967, and 1968 seasons, although a couple also look to be from Pukekohe.

They're almost all in colour, almost all taken either in the pits, or near the dummy grid. There are a few in here I'm really struggling to ID, so any help would be appreciated. There are only around 35 photos in the collection (unless Alan finds a few more stored away in shoe boxes), but they're a refreshing view on New Zealand motorsport history during the late 1960s.

Kicking things off here are two quite significant race cars from the 1966 New Zealand racing season. Paul Fahey's breadvan Lotus Anglia battled season long with the similar car of Dave Simpson for outright race wins and the championship. Ultimately it came up short, but at most events was the only car that could foot it with Simpson.

Meanwhile, Ivan Segedin's Mustang was the first Mustang to go circuit racing in New Zealand. Amazingly, both of these cars survive, and both were on display almost parked together at this years Denny Hulme Festival at Hampton Downs!

Name:  img006.jpg
Views: 2501
Size:  139.9 KB

And speaking of Dave Simpson, here is his Lotus Anglia lined up alongside the amazing A40 of Kerry Grant. Note that Simpsons Anglia isn't fitted with its fastback roof section in this photo.

Name:  img005.jpg
Views: 2523
Size:  144.0 KB

Now here is one of those ones I'm really struggling to ID. I know someone on here will be able to help. I don't think I've ever seen this car before. But just look at the amount of work thats gone into that nose piece. Can anyone help?

Name:  img008.jpg
Views: 2342
Size:  169.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    And speaking of Dave Simpson, here is his Lotus Anglia lined up alongside the amazing A40 of Kerry Grant. Note that Simpsons Anglia isn't fitted with its fastback roof section in this photo.

Name:  img005.jpg
Views: 2523
Size:  144.0 KB
    Another treasure trove for us to enjoy, thanks Alan
    Seeing the Simpson Anglia in "standard" spec leads me to ask if someone can please tell me which of the Anglia's was first to go with the "breadvan" styling?

Re the fastback sections on the Lotus Anglia's, someone here may wish to correct me on this but I thought they both showed up at the NZIGP fitted with them for the first time. I think this led to questions about whether there were spy tactics going on between the two teams.

Never fails to amaze me the number of photo collections that are seeing the light of day on this website. Maybe they would have been lost forever if it wasn't for the Roaring Season. Great job Steve.

Mike, that`s why the campleader should be remunerated for his efforts, as Roger Penske once said...... `no effort, no result'.

Steve, I have already agreed with this sentiment

Here is the ex-Fahey Anglia, now owned by John Ward and Rod Coppins. Not sure who is driving here, although if this was the championship round, it would have been Ward at the wheel.

Name:  img004.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  133.2 KB

Could you get two more different sports cars? Andrew Buchanan's magnificent Italian thoroughbred Ferrari 250LM, parked next one of NZs most successful 'specials', the aero-engined Lycoming Special, owned here by Jim Boyd.

Name:  img007.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  146.6 KB

Now here is one of those ones I'm really struggling to ID. I know someone on here will be able to help. I don't think I've ever seen this car before. But just look at the amount of work thats gone into that nose piece. Can anyone help?

Name:  img008.jpg
Views: 2342
Size:  169.0 KB

Number 101 at the November 1966 meeting was M. D. Lucas from Auckland driving a 1298cc Farina Ford.

Here is the ex-Fahey Anglia, now owned by John Ward and Rod Coppins. Not sure who is driving here, although if this was the championship round, it would have been Ward at the wheel.

Name:  img004.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  133.2 KB
    Both Ward (142) and Coppins (141) were entered in the Anglia at the November 1966 meeting. It would appear from the Motorman report that Ward did all the races though Coppins alone was entered in the final handicap race of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Number 101 at the November 1966 meeting was M. D. Lucas from Auckland driving a 1298cc Farina Ford.
    Thanks Milan, fantastic! Have you ever seen this car before?

Could you get two more different sports cars? Andrew Buchanan's magnificent Italian thoroughbred Ferrari 250LM, parked next one of NZs most successful 'specials', the aero-engined Lycoming Special, owned here by Jim Boyd.

Name:  img007.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  146.6 KB
    whats the white car my first thought lola mk1 or cooper bobtail?????

Quote Originally Posted by rogered View Post
    whats the white car my first thought lola mk1 or cooper bobtail?????

It's a Cooper Bobtail, owned at that time by Doug Smyth of Kaponga.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The first time I saw Dave Simpsons car, pre GP meeting, it had the fastback fitted - we were gobsmacked at how fast the damn thing was!

Ahh, thanks, can you remember when/where that was?

Andrew Buchanan's fantastic Elfin 400 at Levin. This car took Buchanan to 4 race wins from 7 starts in the 1968 NZ Sports Car Championship, winning him the title.

Name:  img010.jpg
Views: 2222
Size:  145.5 KB