Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Alan Smith Collection

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks John.
    If the cars are pitted based on car number, and the white car next to the Riley Lotus is number 18, then could this mean the car pictured in the foreground is Ken Smiths Lotus 22? The motor is definitely a Ford. He usually preferred #11, but numbers were assigned in the Tasman Series. Any takers?

Attachment 17641
    Smith was No.16 at the 1966 Levin International, and I reckon the driver is the middle of the three "mechanics"
    Last edited by David McKinney; 04-09-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    OK, I'm taking a punt here, but is this Frank Radisich? If so, that could also explain what appears to be the ex-Dave Simpson Anglia parked alongside. I think this might be from the 1968 season.
    Attachment 17640
    Frank raced both the ex-Simpson Anglia and the ex-Smith Lotus 22 in 1968

Semi-Pro Racer
    OK, I'm taking a punt here, but is this Frank Radisich? If so, that could also explain what appears to be the ex-Dave Simpson Anglia parked alongside. I think this might be from the 1968 season.

Attachment 17640
    If I crank the picture up to 150%, my 70-year-old eyes can make out "Frank Radisich" on the sign by right front wheel.
    Don't know about any 68-year olds, though.

Stu

Thanks for your help with this guys.

Other than the Lycoming, can anyone help with these?

Name:  img024.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  141.5 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    No.10 is Don Macdonald's twincam Brabham BT10, No.9 Peter Ransom's Lancer

Thanks David, fantastic! Re the Lancer, I can't tell from this photo because the women crouching between the two cars is blocking the rear bodywork, but were the rear mudguards integrated into the bodywork, or bolt-ons as per the front? From this angle it appears the rear bodywork fans out rearwards to cover the rear wheels.

Semi-Pro Racer
    ...were the rear mudguards integrated into the bodywork, or bolt-ons as per the front?
    They were originally bolted on, but I think reworked by the time the above photo was taken

Thanks David, as always, terrific memory!

On the dummy grid at Levin, Frank Gardner in the Alec Mildren Brabham, and Jackie Stewart in the BRM. Gardney controlled the race from the start, broke the lap record by 2.1 seconds, but the transmission failed two laps from the end, gifting the win to the second BRM of Richard Attwood.

Name:  img027.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  112.6 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Gardner... broke the lap record by 2.1 seconds
    1.5 seconds...49.3 to 47.8

David, I was being a lazy git and referring only to the Shell Annual. Thanks for the correction.

Clarks Lotus getting its push-start out onto the Levin track.

Name:  img028.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  101.0 KB

Same event as above, moments later as the field files out onto the track.

Name:  img030.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  93.2 KB

Looks to be the Jim Palmer Lotus team in the pits at Levin. Can anyone confirm this?

Name:  img029 copy.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  126.1 KB

World Champion
    The number on the nose in the background looks like 41, so would assume so.

The gentleman with the black glasses on the very left of the photo certainly looks like a Palmer (George I guess). Jimmy looks just like that now.

Jackie Stewart's BRM gets a push start as it enters the race track at Levin. Didn't these BRM's just have the most fantastic rear bodywork styling.

Name:  img031.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  94.9 KB

Weekend Warrior

Dave...re the Lancer rear end.

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    They were originally bolted on, but I think reworked by the time the above photo was taken
    it always had rear bodywork covering the tyres...originally with a boot which was shortened to a flat cut off...I have photos taken not long after Peter finished the build at Admiral Hill-climb...during my ownership the only body work changes were radiator slots on the top of the nose....I wonder if it is still around?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holland View Post
    it always had rear bodywork covering the tyres...originally with a boot which was shortened to a flat cut off...I have photos taken not long after Peter finished the build at Admiral Hill-climb...during my ownership the only body work changes were radiator slots on the top of the nose....I wonder if it is still around?
    Hello Perry,

Terry Leighton and I were actually wondering if you were still around...pleased to hear that you are. Last I heard of the Lancer it was still with the chap who bought it off you. I can't remember his name but I used to see him driving it in Wellington. Now believe it's in Nelson.

Regards,

Russ Cunningham