Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Alan Smith Collection

Fastback Anglias

Many years ago Peter Bruin asked me to print this photo for him from and old negative he had.
    Thought it may be of interest....

Name:  Fastback Anglias.jpg
Views: 1721
Size:  144.2 KB

Wow! Staggering! Is that from the 1966 NZIGP meeting Ross?

A real mixed bag this one, and typical of Allcomer racing of the period. All I know about this photo is that its from Levin, from the 1966 season. I can see Rod Coppins' Zephyr Corvette in the background, but whose is the blue Anglia closest to camera? Dave Jurie raced an Anglia that looked quite similar to this, but I've never seen a photo of his car in this colour scheme, or with this number. Can anyone help?

I had to ask Greg Stokes about the '32 Ford coupe. Greg is a leading authority on old hot rods, which naturally spills over into hot rod race cars. Greg thinks its probably the old Garth Souness car. Obviously Souness was racing the Morrari in 1966, so its likely not him here. Greg thinks its possibly Ed Jensen?

Name:  img009.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  147.5 KB

I have a feeling the Jurie car was tan. I believe it ended up in the creek that ran along by the old pit entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    A real mixed bag this one, and typical of Allcomer racing of the period. All I know about this photo is that its from Levin, from the 1966 season. I can see Rod Coppins' Zephyr Corvette in the background, but whose is the blue Anglia closest to camera? Dave Jurie raced an Anglia that looked quite similar to this, but I've never seen a photo of his car in this colour scheme, or with this number. Can anyone help?

I had to ask Greg Stokes about the '32 Ford coupe. Greg is a leading authority on old hot rods, which naturally spills over into hot rod race cars. Greg thinks its probably the old Garth Souness car. Obviously Souness was racing the Morrari in 1966, so its likely not him here. Greg thinks its possibly Ed Jensen?

Name:  img009.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  147.5 KB

What can be seen of the date looks to me like Dec 65 which would make the date of the meeting 27 November 1965. If that's correct car 60 was C. Everson from Auckland.

The only Ford Corvette entered that day was driven by K. McGreal also from Auckland.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    What can be seen of the date looks to me like Dec 65 which would make the date of the meeting 27 November 1965. If that's correct car 60 was C. Everson from Auckland.

The only Ford Corvette entered that day was driven by K. McGreal also from Auckland.
    Correct, Kevin McGreal owned this car after Garth Souness and then Ed Jensen....

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    I have a feeling the Jurie car was tan. I believe it ended up in the creek that ran along by the old pit entrance.
    After wrapping around the tree.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow! Scary. I think there was another photo somewhere on this site of the aftermath of that crash. Might have been one of Mike Feissts pics.

Thanks Milan, that is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stokes View Post
    Correct, Kevin McGreal owned this car after Garth Souness and then Ed Jensen....
    Greg, does this car still exist?

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Greg, does this car still exist?
    Sure does - its one of NZ's top hot rods owned by John Allen in Hamilton. Though I would love to have seen it back to how it was....

Presuming the C. Everson in the Anglia #60 is Cliff Everson, and it should be, he was a very clever and talented engineer and a pioneer of the properly done left to right hand drive conversions of USA cars and pickups, long before some of the others got involved.

Thanks Steve, really great info.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stokes View Post
    Sure does - its one of NZ's top hot rods owned by John Allen in Hamilton. Though I would love to have seen it back to how it was....
    Woah! I had no idea! I knew of this car, but didn't know it was the old Souness car. Its certainly pretty impressive, but its a shame it couldn't have been built from another car and the Souness car be restored to what it was. Each to their own though I guess.

Next photo, Rod Coppins' ex-Pete Geoghegan Mustang.

Name:  img011.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  164.8 KB

The Roy Harrington Imp.

Name:  img012.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  143.3 KB

Tony Gilbertsons's amazing little Minisprint, captured here during the 1967 season. What happened to this car? Does it still exist?

Name:  img018.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  121.4 KB

And another Mini based special, but this one a road car pictured in the pits. Anyone got any info on this?

Name:  img014.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  126.2 KB

John Wards Lotus Cortina at Levin. Check out the neat of '56 Chevy in the background.

Name:  img013.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  108.2 KB

Spotted in the pits at Levin, pretty E Type Jag. Kinda looks like that trailer is hitched up to the back of it!

Name:  img019.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  119.6 KB