Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Alan Smith Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Andrew Buchanan's fantastic Elfin 400 at Levin. This car took Buchanan to 4 race wins from 7 starts in the 1968 NZ Sports Car Championship, winning him the title.

Attachment 16384
    I presume that this car is now back in Australia ?? We sure had some great race cars back in those days.

Mike, This car still here in Auckland , NZ.If these Ozzies had it, we would know.

John Wards Lotus Cortina at Levin. Check out the neat of '56 Chevy in the background.

Attachment 16617
    That `56 Chev was one of Rod Coppins tow cars, John Ward was probably using it. That is my elder brother Peter standing on the trailer toolbox in the green jersey. When Rod went to Aussie to buy Big Petes Mustang, we had this Chev parked at home. Rod later sold it to Colin Weller,who at the time was working for John Riley, and Colin also used it as a tow car for his stockcars, then it disappeared. It`s probably still around as it was a real tidy car.
    Last edited by fullnoise68; 03-11-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Thats awesome Steve, what a cool piece of history! I reckon you're probably right about it still being around somewhere, seems pretty likely. Would be interesting to know what it looks like now though.

Here is Red Dawsons Mustang at Levin, this being his first Mustang, the ex-Ivan Segedin car, now owned by Neil Tolich.

Name:  img017.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  104.7 KB

PDL Racing Team Mini Coopers of Robert Stewart (left) and Clyde Collins.

Name:  img036.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  111.2 KB

Here is the beautiful Ferrari 250LM of Andy Buchanan at Levin. Can anyone ID the cars around it? Is that Bob Homewoods blue Anglia on right of shot?

Name:  img015.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  149.8 KB

The number on the Mini looks like it could be 30 which would make the car P. W. Pascoe's 997.

If the cars are lined up in numerical order then the car between the Ferrari and the Mini would be Jack Oakley's U2 number 29. It certainly looks like a U2.

The only Anglia numbered in the thirties was M. A. Low's 1298cc car which was number 32.

Thank you Milan. Great work. Did the cars have to park in the pits in numerical order at these events?

Thank you Milan. Great work. Did the cars have to park in the pits in numerical order at these events?
    Often times were required to. Made work a lot easier for marshals etc. Quite often there was a placard on the fence in front of where you had to be. A number of the lower key UK meets were still like that in the 80s. Prescott 50th anniversary was that way IIRC
    Is that a glimpse of the Kerry Grant A40 beside the blue Anglia?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Is that a glimpse of the Kerry Grant A40 beside the blue Anglia?
    No, he was in single-seaters that season (until his Pukekohe accident)

Im sure this is the car Gary [brother] ended up with [after Frank bought it ] I have a great photo of it , with a wee teenager behind the wheel, one of my little jobs driving it off trailers etc I wil try & get it to you with the fast back on

Could be the Pascoe boys , trying the new nose cone , as you can see looks like a40 chopped as they [brothers] did , but dont remember those white stripes?? could be wrong was about 11 yrs old lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

opps got the wrong box to answer a40 in , I am new at adding pic sorry . Grant [ps me in seat ] not sure where this was taken . This was sent to me not knowing it was taken

pik my anglia wellington pole GrantName:  grant office 130.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  105.5 KB

Hi Grant, I'm glad that old photo of the breadvan Anglia of Garys found its way to you. Its from a future chapter of the Ian Peak Collection, which I'd posted on The Roaring Seasons facebook page. Its a great photo isn't it!

Thanks Steve , yep sure is , so cool to see these , i have lots of photos I will add one day of when Gary & I, when we started hooning about in many cars , we will leave it for an other day . ps .... where do live Steve?. Cheers Grant

Yeah, now those would be some good photos to see Grant! By the way, what happened to that white Pre65 Mustang you raced several years ago? You were very quick in that car.

Thanks Steve, yes we got that car to fly [I bought the car from SI was a mid freild runner] When I ran the car still restricted in those days to solid discs & rear drums , heavy, top close ratio top loader , road tryes , [dot rated depending on venue] I put a roller motor in it thanks to help of Kevin Bann [now mr kelford cams a good mate....just sold out last week ??] any way Roly Levis was on board with us plus Supply Services an other good friend my main sponsor, we had the complete package , & I had good men around me thats half the battle nothing changes , we won a few championships & i got sick of it , raised a family , The car went back down to the SI I think manny simms ended up with it , our freind Steve Ross [F5000] champion drove the car & could not believe how we got it to stop & turn as good as it did thats the secret plus I got it very light , we were about 420 at engine some others about 480 but lacked in other areas I will try & send a pik of it .... Cheers Grant .......
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 03-22-2013 at 02:51 AM.