Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Racing Mustangs - Picture Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    A bit blurry, but the Maestro with the apprentice Puke 2010 McLaren Festival
    Rod, thats a great shot of Todd with Leo. Boy Leo was a talented driver, and he absolutely wrung the next off PDL II during the 1979 Open Saloon Car series against Jim Richards' XC Falcon hardtop. He drove the thing like it was a Formula Ford.

Another shot of Todd and Leo at NZFMR 2010

Cheers
    Lee

And a couple from Back in the day, specifically Wigram 1978.

The last saloon race of the day was an absoloute cracker. Leo unilaterally handicapped himself back to the short straight between the hangers and Bomb Bay. (Despite the exclamations from the Announcer that something was wrong there was no sign of Leo doing anything except sitting waiting for the flag to fall) When the flag fell Leo set off like a scalded cat. The sight of him passing slower (ie every other) cars especially down that long back straight was just awesome. From memory (actual results may vary ) he did win. As a demonstration of the superiority of PDL 2 it was most impressive. Perhaps even more impressive than watching Keke Rosberg annihilate Bobby Rahal and co in the Lady Wigram Trophy.

Cheers
    Lee

And a few more from HD 2010

And some which Dale might not be so keen to see

Cheers
    Lee

NZFMR 2011

Dale with a wee way to go yet to master the art of

Cheers
    Lee

Yes, beatin by a Ferrari and the Custaxie, a wheel lock up and no 3 wheelin!! inexperence at its best!! LOL. Just have to keep tryin

Dale Mathers

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Tracey View Post
    And a couple from Back in the day, specifically Wigram 1978.

The last saloon race of the day was an absoloute cracker. Leo unilaterally handicapped himself back to the short straight between the hangers and Bomb Bay. (Despite the exclamations from the Announcer that something was wrong there was no sign of Leo doing anything except sitting waiting for the flag to fall) When the flag fell Leo set off like a scalded cat. The sight of him passing slower (ie every other) cars especially down that long back straight was just awesome. From memory (actual results may vary ) he did win. As a demonstration of the superiority of PDL 2 it was most impressive. Perhaps even more impressive than watching Keke Rosberg annihilate Bobby Rahal and co in the Lady Wigram Trophy.

Cheers
    Lee
    Lee, great post! PDL II was an incredible machine. It would have been great to have seen the car race internationally a little more than it did. Its one of those cars that left a big impression. Amazing to think it only raced for one full season during 1976/77 then four events two years later, and that was it! Very short career. Leo really drove the car well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Tracey View Post
    And a few more from HD 2010

And some which Dale might not be so keen to see

Cheers
    Lee
    That guy in the orange Mustang always seems to be locking brakes or 3-wheeling. He must be a real hard charger!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    That guy in the orange Mustang always seems to be locking brakes or 3-wheeling. He must be a real hard charger!

Steve,I really like 'Chargers',but that guy in the orange one really stuffed up,he's modified it so much that it looks like a 'Bloody' Mustang,some people have no taste,waste of a good Charger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................................mMJ

Funny you should say that Myles. I was at a race meeting a few years ago and there was a little kid with his dad ogling Dales car. Then the kid said to his dad, "It looks like the Dukes Of Hazzard Car". Dale was wrapped when I told him that!

Semi-Pro Racer
    With close to 350 cu in, triple plate clutch, MSD Magnesium this & that, 6 pot calipers, alloy diff head, 16 x 10 rims it hardly qualify's as a Boss 302 anymore, more like a hot rod!

You guys stop "picking" on me!! I'll pack a sad!! LOL. At least its still got Boss heads!! and a VIN number!! damn Valiant charger's worth more these days too!!!

Dale Mathers

Your right Dale, don't misplace that Vin. Always admired your cars and presentation.

One day there may surface a video with an orange Boss Mustang losing it under brakes for turn 1 Manfeild and completing a beautiful 360 before powering on..... Seems to have a bit of bother with front brake bias from time to time!

Just finding my limit Murray!! just finding my limit!! LOL

Rod, appreciate your comments, was born a little too late to be racing when these "Muscle Cars" here raced for real, this is as close as i can get, Living the Dream!! and i like my cars to be nice!! Luv winning the race in the pits, its more fun!!

Dale

Good on ya, keep it up. Great to see these cars that we grew up with being loved and used like this. Look out if I win lotto.

Win Lotto!!! Rod, i can write a book on all these damn Mustangs, bought my first one(68 GT Fastback) in 1977 as a kid(from Jack Nazer) but didn't know it at the time!! and have owned over 30 of them!! imported quite a few over the last 25 years!! Dean Camerons #389 Mustang was my first race car, one i didn't build but was a early pre 65 car back in the late 80's/early 90's, i owned it around 95, built the Daryl Narain Mustang next, bearly got it finished and Rick Cooper(Taupo Major) wipped his cheque book out, damn!! them built the blue one Hoffman races, at least i got to race that one 3 times before he got me!! built the Nigel MacDonald 67 Fastback as a job and then my current Mustang, which by the way is a factory Calypso Coral(red orange) 69 Boss 302, of the 1630 odd made this is one of only 3 and has a real interesting history!! The only reason i still own it today is i refuse to sell it, had several offers but at 51 im sick of building them(for the moment anyway) i thought it was about time i went out and had some fun!! Shipped it to America and racing it last year was a highlite, Sears Point and Thunderhill, Steve done a article in NZV8(i think) some months ago!! Im over the "hard core beat to death" racing now and prefer to just do Classic and Historical events, way more fun!! Enjoy

Dale Mathers

Below: Laying behind a panelshop in Albuquerque, New Mexico, 1977
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dale, don't we wish we kept somethings, those are my daughters who are 23 and 21 now, and my poor dog is way gone along with the Car. The old story " you only bring it out some Sundays and then you spend the rest of the day cleaning it and then back in garage and covered over", well at least with a boat we all got to go fishing and the ears recovered.

Roger Bohl Mustang

Anybody know what became of the Roger Bohl Ford Rally team Mustang door number #16 from the 1970 Rally Internacional de las 24 Horas. I remember a rallye team car being on sale a few years ago, but did not preserve the pics, nor can't find it on the web again.
    Last edited by TransamEd; 07-24-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: pic added

This Mussie was in last years Silver Fern Rally, went real well too. Think they may be from Aussie not sure.