Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Are All The '70s And '80s Photos?

Didn't Ross Tebbs have something to do with that #15 Commodore Rod? I think Hornsby Earthmovers may have sponsored it?

Rod was the pilot unless im mistaken

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Didn't Ross Tebbs have something to do with that #15 Commodore Rod? I think Hornsby Earthmovers may have sponsored it?
    It says "E T Hornsby Earthmovers" on the rear of #15. Could look for a programme maybe. Never know what I might find.

Stu

The Hillman Hunter is Tom Scott, He owns / runs TAS Automotive on the North Shore. Great guy.

The Hillman Hunter in post #252 is Tom Scott, he owns / runs TAS Automotive on the North Shore. Great guy and a real character.

Tom drives the safety / FIV car as mentioned, and his wife Anna and daughter Debbie run things "behind the scenes". The Scott family has done so much for motorsport in Auckland over a long period of years, and I've never seen them without a smile on their faces.
    Last edited by Andrew Metford; 12-29-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    It says "E T Hornsby Earthmovers" on the rear of #15. Could look for a programme maybe. Never know what I might find.

Stu

The 85-86 Yearbook has the drivers of number 15 as Wayne Parry and Rod Grimwood. They finished 26th on 141 laps.

Thanks Milan, yes that's right. Tucker Hornsby and Garth Thompson helped sponsor me in drive. We were not running too bad until about 2 hours from end when I arrived at the end of the back straight and there was a horrible sensation of the brake peddle going to the floor in a hurry and a cloud of smoke out the left side. I was looking straight at the right hand door of the coin and bullion car with Mr Hulme driving, I spun the car to try and avoid him and luck (management) had me going behind him onto the grass. Recovered and into pits where crew (Robert Connell) some how removed the caliper which had split and was red hot, then replaced with another, quick bleed and back out. We lost about 8-10 laps I think and the caliper melted into the pit seal. I actually won a couple (3) trays of cans in a bet with another person who reckoned I would not lap him, 1st time one finger, then 2nd time two fingers which was the norm from the friendly chap.

Thanks Milan for photo.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 12-29-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFA View Post
    The Hillman Hunter in post #252 is Tom Scott, he owns / runs TAS Automotive on the North Shore. Great guy and a real character.

Tom drives the safety / FIV car as mentioned, and his wife Anna and daughter Debbie run things "behind the scenes". The Scott family has done so much for motorsport in Auckland over a long period of years, and I've never seen them without a smile on their faces.
    Could the Avenger driver be one of the Langleys, Neville or his son?

Correct JAFA. The senior Scotts have now moved from the Shore to Pukekohe. The block of land on which TAS used to sit (Rawene Rd, Birkenhead) along with the buildings on several neighbouring plots are being demolished for a block of apartments. Debbie's family are also heavily involved in the running of the meeting (including husband Martin) and do a fantastic job in all weathers. We'd be lost without them all. Martin and Debbie are also ITM people so it isn't too difficult to see where much of the ITM support for motorsport comes from.
    Last edited by ERC; 12-30-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Ross Tebbs has a bit to do with ITM and has motorsport in his veins, ITM is a fairly big family.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    The only other shot I got and it was in the background again.

Attachment 26878
    The #15 Commodore looks very similar to the car Steve Ross, from Dunedin, raced in Sports Saloons in the 90's. Same colour, same wheels. The big deal at that time was that it was a genuine GpA car. I believe that he still owns the car

I believe it went to The Bristows over in Hawkes Bay, but don't know what happened to it after. I think they may still have it.

Whenuapai 26/02/84

Bill Morris ERA

Name:  84 Whenuapai ERA.JPG
Views: 1499
Size:  55.1 KB

Dave Silcock Cooper-Vincent

Name:  84 Whenuapai Silcock.JPG
Views: 1508
Size:  41.3 KB

B Neill TR2

Name:  84 Whenuapai TR2.JPG
Views: 1488
Size:  62.4 KB

That Cooper-Vincent of Dave's is a beautiful car. Wonder if he still has it.

Could this be the one Allan Mason campained in the Nissan Mobil [I think 1992 ] We lent him an axel at Wellington
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner32 View Post
    The #15 Commodore looks very similar to the car Steve Ross, from Dunedin, raced in Sports Saloons in the 90's. Same colour, same wheels. The big deal at that time was that it was a genuine GpA car. I believe that he still owns the car

Quote Originally Posted by mark powell View Post
    Could this be the one Allan Mason campained in the Nissan Mobil [I think 1992 ] We lent him an axel at Wellington
    Mark, no I'm pretty sure the Mason car was the Bowkett Sleepyhead bed VK, converted to a VL.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner32 View Post
    Not the same.
    The car rod drove was a VHSS updated to VK, and last seen in the hawkes bay. Some one may know its ware abouts but its MIA.

Steve ross car started life as The Bowkett, Sleephead car. and was built by roadways, went on to be the pink purple billington car and did another bathurst in 1987 (16 laps) with graeme crosby, and billington. Went onto dave barrow, and a few others then steve ross. It was in our shed for a few while, and is now in Sydney, and i understand its close to finished, being rebuilt in VK bathurst 1987 livery.

Roger- can you please refresh my memory here - early 90s Graeme Crawford also had a white genuine Roadways Commodore, remember him running it at Puke and Whenuapei, (think he said it was a Grice car?) he took it to bits, what happened to that.?
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-01-2015 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Roger- can you please refresh my memory here - early 90s Graeme Crawford also had a white genuine Roadways Commodore, remember him running it at Puke and Whenuapei, (think he said it was a Grice car?) he took it to bits, what happened to that.?
    Crameme cameron, Yip also a roadways car. We spent quite a bit of effort trying to track this. It was the car Grice beat HDT at the 85 adalaide gp, and won (I think) at mount fuji. It was stripped of mechanicals. I have tracked the bits. The body is MIA, but i think its in Aust, Im not saying any more "online" as im still working on this

Quote Originally Posted by rogered View Post
    Crameme cameron, Yip also a roadways car. We spent quite a bit of effort trying to track this. It was the car Grice beat HDT at the 85 adalaide gp, and won (I think) at mount fuji. It was stripped of mechanicals. I have tracked the bits. The body is MIA, but i think its in Aust, Im not saying any more "online" as im still working on this
    Yes it was stripped, and for no good reason. Although the mechanicals have gone to a good home.