Thread: Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

When I was a lad, the fastest and most exotic car in the known universe was probably the Mercedes 300SL 'Gullwing' and it was a childhood fantasy to drive one some day. When I started as a Staff Writer at Performance Car magazine, a regular monthly slot was reserved for a feature on a classic performance car, and with my interest in classic cars, it was quickly decided that I was the man for the job. Imagine my delight then when my very first assignment was to drive and describe a Gullwing.

On the appointed day (by some quirk of fate it was my birthday) I arrived with a photographer at the address I had been given, deep in the English countryside in Sussex. "Impressive", I thought as we wound our way up the long tree-lined drive. I was even more impressed when we pulled up in front of a very grand residence, the silver 300SL we had come to drive and photograph parked menacingly in the early morning sunlight, and more impressed still when our knock on the door was answered, not by the man we had come to see, but by his male secretary. In earlier times we probably would have described him as a butler!

He informed us that the gentleman of the house was not quite ready to receive us but would do so shortly, and would we mind waiting in an adjoining room. After a short while, he appeared, apologized for keeping us, and informed us that, when he had started the Merc's mighty fuel-injected straight-six engine to warm it up, it had made an alarming noise and sadly, couldn't be used.

My heart sank. I knew that magazine deadlines were crucial, and that there was no time in the monthly production cycle to reschedule, never mind tee up an alternative test. My first assignment, and it was all about to go pear-shaped. "Don't worry though", he continued. "I've arranged for another car to be brought over. It's more or less identical; my man should be arriving at any moment. In the meantime, would you like to see some of my other cars". I almost fainted with relief…

We went through to a courtyard, surrounded by garage doors, and he opened and closed them in turn, revealing all sorts of exotic and desirable cars, the exact details of which I have forgotten. I remember several early MG's, a Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7RS, a couple of Ferraris, and a Rolls-Royce or two. Then came a distinctive snarl of an engine coming up the drive and sure enough, a second 300SL appeared and pulled up right behind the first.

I later learned that the driver, who worked for the owner, was recognized as one of the world's leading authorities on Gullwings. He started the first car, quickly diagnosed a sticky tappet, gave it a couple of good blips, whereupon the noise disappeared, and the car was pronounced healthy.

So there we were with not one but two healthy and virtually identical Gullwings. Which one to take? Well, we did the only thing we could reasonably do: we took them both! So for the rest of the morning we zoomed around in convoy, trying each car in turn, and searching out some suitable photographic locations. What a thrill! You can imagine the reaction of the members of the public we encountered in their Fords and Vauxhalls, as even in 1984, when they were just over twenty years old, Gullwings were a rare sight on the road.

What were they like? Well, 215bhp made them the fastest production car in existence in 1958, but was not that special in 1984. With long-legged gearing allowing a top speed of 150mph+ and with a four-speed gearbox, acceleration was brisk rather than electrifying, although they felt as though they would go for ever. Not sure I would have been game to drive one at very high speed though. I was surprised at how easily the rear wheels would skitter about if you applied just a little too much throttle, even at relatively low speeds. But in their day they were the most outrageously sophisticated vehicles on the road, and the gullwing doors were an absolute sensation of course.

Needless to say it was day that has stuck in my memory for ever...

Art Markus

Art, that is a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it. Its strange, often times when car enthusiasts finally get to drive their childhood dream cars, they turn out to be a disappointment. This could well have been the case for you with the Gullwing, given how fast they were when new, and the expectations that creates.

I've heard stories of enthusiasts who've grown up with pictures of a Lamborghini Contach on their walls, then get to finally drive one, and hate them because they're so impractical, intimidating, and uncomfortable. So I'm glad your experience with the Gullwing left you just as much in love with them after you'd finished as what you were beforehand.

World Champion
    Steve, I think your remark about falling in love with a car, then much later being able to sample it, and thinking....what a terrible device, why did I have this burning desire to own one of these.

I think I wrote way back in Yards and Yarns about my Fathers 190SL. Now I know they aren't in the same league as a 300SL, but similar to look at and from the same mighty Mercedes company. When my Father died I could have inherited the 190, and during the week that I was tidying up his affairs I drove the 190 a lot round Christchurch and beyond. I couldnt believe how gutless the damn thing was, and it just seemed to rev it's guts out and get nowhere. Coupled with that there must have been a problem in the electrics as it 'broke down' on a couple of occasions, which even further put me off this stange machine.
    I was fortunate to find a buyer for it at the very reasonable price of $3000. If I had kept it, perhaps shoved it in a garage with a cover over it, I could have been looking at 25 times that figure today!!!!!!!!!

Beauty is more than skin deep, and one should always remember not to judge a book by it's cover.

Hi guys,

Thanx for your feedback. During my career as a motoring journalist in the UK I had some fantastic experiences. However I don't want to come across as a skite or a show-off. I just consider myself incredibly lucky and privileged to have led that life. Happy to contribute further stories from time to time.

Best wishes,

Art

Great story.

Here is a little story back - I am a bit younger than some on this forum at a guess having been born in the 70's but one of the matchbox toys I had a kid (still have it today and my kids play with it now) was meant to be the replacement for the 300SL - the C111. To cut to the chase I was recently in Paris on business and in the weekend was walking down The Avenue des Champs-Élysées and what do I spy in the Mercedes shop - not only a C111 but 3 yes that is three 300SL including one that was specially prepared by Mercedes for the 1956 SCCA championship.

So for you guys here are some pics I took on my cell phone of the Gullwing display - I have not resized all or uploaded them to my website so there are a few samples.
    Last edited by nzeder; 03-06-2013 at 10:45 AM.

I also went into the Toyota show room and there was another car that I have always loved but again never seen in the flesh until this trip - a Toyota 2000GT - I will post pics of that in the thread about Japanese Classics - I will link here once I find the thread. LINK to Other Thread

Cheers
    Mike Lucas
    Last edited by nzeder; 03-06-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Wow, these are amazing, but the C111 really blows me away. It was a special treat for you to be able to see this. Didn't MB build a very small number of these, all with slight differences to each other?

If I knew some of the MB toys my parents got me when we lived in Singapore were so rare I should not have played with them and I believe the C111 MB was one of them like the Batman car I had too - all got used as toys by me and my older brother. I spotted on ebay the same batman car still in its box and it sold for $1500 USD as they were very limited production.

Yes and it was very special to see one if the flesh and to see 3 x 300SL including the factory build racer + a 1 family owner car that was displayed right at the back - Gullwings down on that one - I think I got some pics of that car too - it was found in a shed by the grandson after the passing of the grandfather - he took it on and did a full restore on the car.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, but it can also haunt you forever!

Re the Gullwing found in a shed by the grandson of the original owner, do you have more info on this story? Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by nzeder View Post
    If I knew some of the MB toys my parents got me when we lived in Singapore were so rare I should not have played with them and I believe the C111 MB was one of them like the Batman car I had too - all got used as toys by me and my older brother. I spotted on ebay the same batman car still in its box and it sold for $1500 USD as they were very limited production.

Yes and it was very special to see one if the flesh and to see 3 x 300SL including the factory build racer + a 1 family owner car that was displayed right at the back - Gullwings down on that one - I think I got some pics of that car too - it was found in a shed by the grandson after the passing of the grandfather - he took it on and did a full restore on the car.
    I recall a pub crawl along the Champs Elysee (excuse the spelling) many years ago, Renault had a cafe/showroom with a couple of former F1 cars including the Rene Arnoux turbo example on display.

I remember 30yrs. ??? a chap who was selling his dark blue Daytona Ferrari in the place now used by Garry Keith,thought he had bought that yellow prototype M/Benz.