Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Ian Peak Collection - Part 2

Photos: The Ian Peak Collection - Part 2

Name:  1969 Stanton Corvette. Jim Boyd.jpg
Views: 1928
Size:  141.6 KB

Carrying on from where we left off a couple of weeks ago with the Ian Peak Collection, Part 1, this is Part 2. Boy, these photos really get me excited, they're so full of colour, and so beautifully demonstrate this amazing period in history.

Again, these photos centre around Teretonga, the worlds most southern race track at the bottom of New Zealands South Island. The years shown here are 1967, 1969, and, if I have some space left at the end, a bit of a random assortment. The photos centre around the Teretonga round of the Tasman Series, and in particular, the international stars. But there is plenty here of interest for everyone.

I hope you all enjoy these as much as I have. Thanks again to Mark Quertier for organising these photos to be shared here.

This looks to be either the beginning of qualifying, or just prior to the race during the 1967 Tasman Series event. My guess would be this is just prior to the race, because front row starters Jim Clark, Richard Attwood, and Denny Hulme are all pictured here. Clark and Attwood finished first and second.

Name:  Jim Clark and richard Attwood.jpg
Views: 2240
Size:  147.8 KB

Name:  1967.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  126.4 KB

Two more from the 1967 event, and again Clark and Attwood are pictured.

Name:  Richard Attwood BRM P261.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  146.1 KB

Name:  Jimmy Clark.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  95.2 KB

Moving on now to the 1969 Tasman Series race, and what a contrast this photo is! At the foreground are the best drivers attacking in the latest and most high tech race cars in the world. And in the background is this wonderful shanty town of make-shift grandstands assembled by the local enthusiasts.

Here Graham Hill leads eventual race winner Piers Courage and team mates Chris Amon and Derek Bell.

Name:  New Image.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  169.8 KB

That top shot is Piers Courage Steve.

Thanks TM, yes you're absolutely right.

Hopefully I've got this right, someone will correct me if not. Roly Levis at the front, from Hill, Graeme Lawrence, and Bert Hawthorne?

Name:  1969.jpg
Views: 1806
Size:  128.9 KB

OK, this appears to be Graham McRae in his self-built McRea Twin-cam leading here. In behind I'm guessing is Allan McCully, followed by Hawthorne.

Name:  1969 1.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  132.1 KB

Mid-field gaggle, with Frank Radisich in the Lotus22/HCM leading Wayne Murdoch, John Nicholson (I think?), Ken Smith, and Barry Keen in the Begg Twin-cam.

Name:  1969 2.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  148.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Hopefully I've got this right, someone will correct me if not. Roly Levis at the front, from Hill, Graeme Lawrence, and Bert Hawthorne ?

Yep, #43 is Bert Hawthorne.

In pic3, whose yellow car are people resting against - is it Uncle Jacks Yellow Sub?

Well spotted John, yep it could well be, this photo is from the 1967 season.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Yep, #43 is Bert Hawthorne.
    Thanks for confirming that.

What is the first car No 52 I know I should but?/

OK just noticed it , never seen it look so good.

What a work of art! Alec Mildren's amazing 2.5 litre Alfa V8 in the back of his own car, driven by Frank Gardner.

Name:  Frank Gardner Mildren Alfa V8.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  154.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    OK just noticed it , never seen it look so good.
    I think it only had this paint scheme in 1969 Jim.

Red Dawson's Brabham. Note short sleeves!

Name:  Red Dawson BT7A.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  161.4 KB

I really love this photo. It demonstrates so well the enthusiasm those in the deep south of New Zealand have for their motor racing. Look REALLY closely at the middle of the pic. Among the huge crowd there is a flat deck truck (or trailer), on which is Courage's Brabham, along with the first three drivers home, Courage, Hill, Amon. I suspect the fourth driver could be Roly Levis, as first Kiwi resident home?

Name:  1969 parade lap.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  157.6 KB