Thread: Is there a future for Formula Ford?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It's all about keeping costs down

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    When you talk about the 'national series' for FFord in Australia you'll find that many are quite pleased that it's been detached from the V8 Supercar meetings.
    It was a costly arrangement and very testing, not on the driving or preparation but on the logistics and bank overdrafts. And I gather, though I may be wrong, that it's more than just 'state' series now. It just doesn't go as far afield.
    It's all about keeping costs down. The Australian 2015 National Formula Ford Series is six meetings spread through Victoria, NSW and Queensland.

Not that I keep abreast of FFord, it's a category I've never considered worthwhile though it's gained fame because it was the only one there. Remember how it came about?
    It's also gained fame as with stable regulations it has outlasted all other single seater classes. It's all about keeping costs down.

A Pommie racing school found it was cheaper to put Cortina GT engines into cars than try to keep up their F3/FJunior engines and it all went from there.
    As stated it's all about keeping costs down.

And it led to people spending more money keeping engines standard than turning them into real race engines.
    In motorracing there will always be some people who will spend up big to get an edge. They have in the past and they haven't won the Championship. The point is you don't have to and you don't get that much of an edge. It's all about keeping costs down. Those that spend would still do the same with "real race engines" but they would spend a hell of a lot more! The number of Kiwis successful on the world stage who have come through NZFF is legendary plus most F1 drivers for the last 40 years have come up through FF in different countries.

It would be nice if we could get rid of some of the negative stereotypes of FF because largely they are incorrect. FF1600 is and will continue to be relevant in providing relatively cheap and close single seater racing for not only aspiring F1 drivers to cut their teeth on but also many of the more mature competitors who merely enjoy close competitive racing which is very cost effective. It's all about keeping costs down. And maintaining stable regs.
    Last edited by Russ Noble; 01-19-2016 at 03:47 AM.