Thread: 2013 Phillip Island Classic Motor Races

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Did you happen to take any photos? I believe its the ex-Alan Jones car that he races most in historic events now, and which was at Phillip Island on the weekend. Jones raced it in the 1982 Australian GT/Sports Sedan Championship, for Alan Hamilton, as part of a two-car team which included Colin Bond in a Porsche 944. There were 9 Rounds, seven of which contained two heats, and Jones won every single one of them! Rusty French was also racing a 935, but his car wasn't as quick as the Jones car. At the end of the season Hamilton disbanded his race team, and French bought the Jones 935, and won the 1983 GT/Sports Sedan Championship with it, repainted in the black of his John Sands sponsorship.

One of our members, Chad Raynal (OCTARD-USA) raced against Rusty at Laguna Seca a few years back. Chad was in his Chevy DeKon Monza.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Did you happen to take any photos? I believe its the ex-Alan Jones car that he races most in historic events now, and which was at Phillip Island on the weekend. Jones raced it in the 1982 Australian GT/Sports Sedan Championship, for Alan Hamilton, as part of a two-car team which included Colin Bond in a Porsche 944. There were 9 Rounds, seven of which contained two heats, and Jones won every single one of them! Rusty French was also racing a 935, but his car wasn't as quick as the Jones car. At the end of the season Hamilton disbanded his race team, and French bought the Jones 935, and won the 1983 GT/Sports Sedan Championship with it, repainted in the black of his John Sands sponsorship.

One of our members, Chad Raynal (OCTARD-USA) raced against Rusty at Laguna Seca a few years back. Chad was in his Chevy DeKon Monza.
    Hi Steve,

No, didnt take any photos. The two black Skye Sands cars were both rebuilt at the same time, by my friend. The Alan Jones car was in the same shed still painted white etc, and in parts awaiting a rebuild. Rusty also had a Porsche 911 promotional car that toured around painted similarly to the cars he raced. He also had a De Tomaso Pantera waiting restoration, that I was told is one of the only Group 5 Tomaso's left in the world - was a cool looking car. All the Porsches and the Tomaso were kept together in the large garage / shed closest to his house.

He certainly had some cool stuff - loads more in his "big" shed too. His wife was lovely as well - from memory she represented Australia at the Olympics in equestrian? She talked horses with my wife, while I drooled over the cars.

I believe Rusty is quite reclusive, and we were very lucky to meet and chat with him, he was a really nice bloke, who was happy to talk about his cars. My personal favourite was his Group C XD Falcon, or maybe his Viper GT car, or his 3 x 935's, or his Ferrari Daytona, or maybe it was........you get the picture. Oh, and I only saw about half of what he owned apparently.