Thread: 2013 Phillip Island Classic Motor Races

Steven Byrnes pretty Alfa GTA

Name:  DSC_0776.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  81.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Greg White Mustang, and Tim Lynas in the 356

Attachment 16975
    Wow, this is an actual ex-A/Sedan car that raced in Mexico from 66-73, not a Shelby built car, but lotsa history!

Hey thanks Pauly, do you have any more info on it? I assumed it was over from the US, Aussie historic touring cars aren't allowed to run any signage like that seen on this car, plus its front bumper has been removed, which also isn't allowed under Na/Nb/Nc rules.

Ian Ross in the Shelby GT350. I'm not able to ID the TVR owner sorry

Laurie Burton.

Steven Byrnes pretty Alfa GTA

Name:  DSC_0776.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  81.2 KB
    Thats is the Alec Mildren Racing Alfa... Famously driven by KB & Frank Gardner... Beautiful little car

Thanks Brent, wow that is great! I'm pleased to hear that car has survived. It looks stunning!

What was the story with this GT40? Did it race or was it just doing demonstrations? Prior to the event I read somewhere Spencer Martin was due to race a GT40. Was this the car?

Name:  DSC_0034.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  119.2 KB

Does this Porsche have history? Its not the old Alan Hamilton car from 1972 is it? I thought for a fleeting moment it might have been the Bill Brown car, but his car was left hand drive.

Name:  DSC_0078.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  72.4 KB

Another car brought across by Scott Drnek, the fantastic March 751, seen here leading Simon Gardiners Chevron.

Name:  DSC_1569.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  75.1 KB

Peter Strauss, Repco Brabham

Name:  DSC_0890.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  66.6 KB

Ray Stubber in the Brabham was the pace-setter in Groups M & O

Name:  DSC_0888.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  85.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Laurie Burton.
    Thank you. Is it a Vixen or Tuscan? I can't tell from this shot.

Weekend Warrior
    from what i understand the bill brown car was destroyed years ago,whilst be driven for an article in road and track magazine ?

Thats a bummer. Was it the same car that became a Sports Sedan during the '70s?

Hey thanks Pauly, do you have any more info on it? I assumed it was over from the US, Aussie historic touring cars aren't allowed to run any signage like that seen on this car, plus its front bumper has been removed, which also isn't allowed under Na/Nb/Nc rules.
    All I know steve is that it raced in Mexico till 73, then was run in the US, restored and raced in the USA up until a few years ago and ended up in Sydney. It was probably running in the regularity event at P.I as a lot of the "Non eligible" cars do...

This is the Lola T192 run by Penske Racing and driven by Mark Donohue in selected F5000 races in 1970 and 1971. Donohue was struggling with the geometry at first, and found the car was darting quite badly in a straight line. But he won with it first time out at Mosport, in the rain, and finished third at Ohio after starting off the rear of the grid following a shunt in practice. Eventually Eric Broadley figured out there were too much flex in the front A-arms, and resolved the problem, and Donohue won at Sebring.

The last race the car ran under Penske ownership was at the Questor race at Ontario Motor Speedway, with the F5000 cars matching up against F1 cars. Donohue had everything rebuilt, and sent all the suspension off to be chrome plated so it looked a million bucks. But the SCCA changed their rules on rollbars midway through the rebuild, and so Donohue asked that Broadley send him one of the new ones to fit the rules. It arrived late, and Donohue didn't like the way it looked, so had it sent over to be chromed. Unfortunately the chroming wasn't done properly. Donohue was running third in the first heat when the motor began spluttering on the last lap and he dropped to ninth. After fine-tuning the suspension, he was again running third in the second heat, and chasing Jackie Stewart and Mario Andretti in their F1 cars, and actually challenging them, when the Lola began spluttering again.

Turns out the fuel-vent which vents into the rollbar had gotten clogged because scale had broken off the chroming!

Name:  DSC_0511.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  79.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by zombie289 View Post
    All I know steve is that it raced in Mexico till 73, then was run in the US, restored and raced in the USA up until a few years ago and ended up in Sydney. It was probably running in the regularity event at P.I as a lot of the "Non eligible" cars do...
    Thanks Pauly, yes I think it was running in regularity. Period race cars are eligible in Group Na/Nb/Nc, but they must have raced in an ATCC event to be so. Otherwise they have to fit the Group N rules. The Mustang doesn't do either. But a cool car either way.

I hope you folk are enjoying seeing these as much as I'm enjoying posting them!

Thank you. Is it a Vixen or Tuscan? I can't tell from this shot.
    1969 Tuscan.