Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Geohegan Brothers 1964 GT Cortina

Wow, amazing outcome to this thread! Stuart, thanks so much for posting here. What a sad demise to this car. I love that your father collected it immediately after the race before they could remove the good bits. Did he plan to compete with it at all?

Steve

Slight correction to the story, it was written off in 1966 not 1965. Dad had no plans to race it as he was to busy with Wheels magazine. He did race at Bathurst in '67, '68 and '69. 1967 and 68 in a Scuderia Veloce Fiat 124 (with Max Stahl) and 124 Sport (with Gricey) and '69 in a Boyded of Bankstown 350 Monaro (DNF).

The Consul GT was purely mum's car which was then replaced by a '67 Cooper S (wish I had that as well.

I haven't given up on the idea of finding a Consul GT and building a replica, however they are like hen's teeth.

Thats a great story! So did he want to keep the go-fast bits in it just to make it a really hot road car? Must have been a blast. I knew he was a keen race driver, but wasn't sure if he ever raced this car. Thanks for the info. Bet you have a lot of stories you could tell about your Dad.

Hello Stuart, thank you very much for your time and my apologies to your Dad, I misunderstood the message I received from Max, I though your Dad was at the wheel at the time of the accident.....whoops.
    I know it sounds like I'm flogging a dead horse, but there was no chance the car could have been rebuilt? I know today if a car is a statuatory write off it cannot be re-registered, but back then cars were rebuilt and sold again. Would you happen to know the details of the chassis/engine number, the reason I'm being so persistant (annoying) is that I know of a similar car which has evidence of repairs that would indicate a substantial front end collision, if I could compare the chassis numbers then I would know for sure.

Cheers,

Lee

The latest information from Stuart Tuckey, is that the car was repaired and traded for a Renault 4......so as Sherlock Holmes would say "The Game is afoot" the search shall continue.

Cheers,

Lee

Wow, that is great! Keep up the good work, this is really interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortina GT View Post
    The latest information from Stuart Tuckey, is that the car was repaired and traded for a Renault 4......so as Sherlock Holmes would say "The Game is afoot" the search shall continue.

Cheers,

Lee
    Hi Lee

Not sure if this helps, but there is a gentleman in WA who recently contacted the HRCCQ looking for information on his 1964, 2 door, Consul Cortina GT, that was used as an Appendix 'J' car in Queensland the 1980s. As 2 door GTs aren't that common and old race cars tend to keep on racing, it might be worth chasing up. Please contact me if you would like his details.

Paul