Quote Originally Posted by Bondy View Post
    Still @ Calder

Attachment 17226

Attachment 17227
    Jacques Laffite Ralt RT4, 1981

Attachment 17230

Attachment 17231
    Ray Mallock Ralt RT4, 1981
    ....Painted both these Ralts prior to 1981 Calder Australian Grand Prix, the Gitanes colour scheme was done to an actual 'Sponsor' spec Manual re colour dimensions,actually recived a 'letter of Commendation from sponsors,the Wrangle was 'Wing-it',but they where also very happy with result,'No sticker/Wraps, all done with masking tape and paint (I loved my Acrylic Days!!)I also remember I never got the car only the Panels and a week to do them both, "Shut-up!!just get it done"!! was the usual warcry!................MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 03-31-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    [QUOTE=Bondy;26514]and some more

Attachment 17246
    Peter Brock in Bob Jane's Chev Monza, 1983?

Attachment 17250
    Alfie Costanzo Tiga FA81, 1983

...Paint and body resposibilities on Monza,also had the contract to keep Alfies/Porche Australia cars in colour......... MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 03-31-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Attachment 17198
    Peter Williamson (NSW) Galloway HG1
    gday, would you mind if I reposted this photo on a valiant forum to show the cop car?

Wow, these are just awesome Bondy, thanks again for posting them. Keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbanger View Post
    Kelvin Cameron of Christchurch, who built up this OSCA Datsun 180B with a fuel injected 355 Chev V8. It was quite a radical car, however not long after this meeting, Kelvin lost the brakes while at private practice at Ruapuna and the car went into the trees at the end of the front straight. Kelvin died shortly after due to the massive injuries, and the car was never rebuilt. Some parts from the destroyed Datsun were reputed to have subsequently found their way into other OSCA cars.
    Thanks for the explanation. What a sad story! That car is fantastic, even the paint work is amazing. What a shame!

and still @ Calder

Tony Edmondson Alfetta, 1981

Attachment 17241
    Tony Edmondson Alfetta, 1983

Attachment 17242

Attachment 17243
    Gianpiero Moretti Porsche 935 78-81, 1983

Attachment 17244
    Alan Jones in John Fitzpatrick's Porsche 935/K4, 1983
    These are great! I've never been able to gather much info on it, but there was a special GT race held at the Calder Australian Grand Prix in 1983. The Jones Porsche, Edmonson Alfa Chevy, Moretti Porsche, Brock Monza, Briggs BMW turbo etc were all competing in it. Moretti of course was the founder of MONO, hence the sponsorship. Jones won the race in the Fitzpatrick 935, but thats all the info I have. Awesome to see these cars though.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    ....Painted both these Ralts prior to 1981 Calder Australian Grand Prix, the Gitanes colour scheme was done to an actual 'Sponsor' spec Manual re colour dimensions,actually recived a 'letter of Commendation from sponsors,the Wrangle was 'Wing-it',but they where also very happy with result,'No sticker/Wraps, all done with masking tape and paint (I loved my Acrylic Days!!)I also remember I never got the car only the Panels and a week to do them both, "Shut-up!!just get it done"!! was the usual warcry!................MJ
    I should have known you were responsible for these paint schemes Myles. These are real works of art! I absolutely love the Wrangler paint scheme, it looks amazing!

You probably already know one of our members on here, Barry Leitch, owns the Laffite car now in New Zealand, and it was recently restored. Pics are here: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...eretonga/page7

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by J42E48 View Post
    gday, would you mind if I reposted this photo on a valiant forum to show the cop car?
    Yeah mate, that is cool

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    These are great! I've never been able to gather much info on it, but there was a special GT race held at the Calder Australian Grand Prix in 1983. The Jones Porsche, Edmonson Alfa Chevy, Moretti Porsche, Brock Monza, Briggs BMW turbo etc were all competing in it. Moretti of course was the founder of MONO, hence the sponsorship. Jones won the race in the Fitzpatrick 935, but thats all the info I have. Awesome to see these cars though.
    Here you go Steve - entry list from the programme and results from Racing Car News. Alan Jones was the driver of number 27.

Name:  1983 Calder GT Entry.JPG
Views: 1985
Size:  72.0 KB

Results

Preliminary –15 laps

1 Jones – 10:16.0 (40.3)
    2 Brock – 10:19.4 (40.5)
    3 Romano – 10:20.7 (40.5)
    4 Edmonson
    5 Richards
    6 French
    7 Briggs

Fastest Lap – Jones 40.3

Main Race – 15 laps

1 Jones - 10:20.22 (40.36)
    2 Romano – 10:26.96 (40.50)
    3 Brock – 10:30.29
    4 Moretti

Fastest Lap – Jones 40.2 new GT record (doesn’t equate with the FL given for the race?)
    - Romano 40.5 new sports car record

Wow! Thanks so much Milan, that really makes for some great reading. What a line-up! Four Porsche 935s. Surely this must be the largest gathering of 935s ever in Australia?

Journeyman Racer
    A few more, this time from the 90s..

Name:  IMG_0061.jpg
Views: 1979
Size:  89.8 KB
    I think this is Jason Bright, Calder 1996

Name:  IMG_0059.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  136.0 KB
    Bryan Hartley Dome F102, Calder 1996

Name:  IMG_0060.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  114.5 KB
    I think this is Simon Wills from about 1998?

ORIGINAL COMMENT_______Kelvin Cameron of Christchurch, who built up this OSCA Datsun 180B with a fuel injected 355 Chev V8. It was quite a radical car, however not long after this meeting, Kelvin lost the brakes while at private practice at Ruapuna and the car went into the trees at the end of the front straight. Kelvin died shortly after due to the massive injuries, and the car was never rebuilt. Some parts from the destroyed Datsun were reputed to have subsequently found their way into other OSCA cars

Hi all, finally joined now that I have finished the rebuild of the Siddy. I bought the formula 5000 car or should I say the remains of the car from which the transaxle and suspension etc was used to build Kelvins car from Kelvins widow thru Rod Maclrae to use in the build of my Detomaso Pantera Sports sedan that I was building to replace the Siddy. It was the ex Radisich/Pederson M18 with a rather bent tub in white with Hifi racing on the side that I was told happened at Puke in the hands of Gary on chinamans hill. The DG300,front and rear uprights and suspension arms were all undamaged so I guess Kelvin must have made his own arms.
    Last edited by George Sheweiry; 04-03-2013 at 10:43 PM.

George, fantastic first post! Thanks for this info.

Hi all, finally joined now that I have finished the rebuild of the Siddy.

Hi George, are we going to see photos of the restoration and the finished product or has it been posted elsewhere on this forum? This is one of NZ's most iconic cars and needs to be seen again both on here and in the flesh. Look forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty5 View Post
    Hi all, finally joined now that I have finished the rebuild of the Siddy.

Hi George, are we going to see photos of the restoration and the finished product or has it been posted elsewhere on this forum? This is one of NZ's most iconic cars and needs to be seen again both on here and in the flesh. Look forward to it
    Yes, I will just have to get my head around how this site works ie posting photos etc and I guess if I put Sidchrome Mustang into this sites search, I will find the appropriate thread. cheers, George.

George- congratulations both on the completion of the meticulous rebuild, and also the longeity of your ownership.
    Remember seeing it in your garage in 1992. Now that the hard work is done, any plans for using it?

Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
    Yes, I will just have to get my head around how this site works ie posting photos etc and I guess if I put Sidchrome Mustang into this sites search, I will find the appropriate thread. cheers, George.
    George, I think your ownership and restoration of this car deserves its own thread. Just your purchasing of it and your days racing it will make for some fantastic stories. The huge amount of work you've done to restore it is definitely something a lot of people on here would love to see. As far as posting photos, please feel free to email me and I can resize and post any photos you want to include, and you can add the text if that works?

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    George- congratulations both on the completion of the meticulous rebuild, and also the longeity of your ownership.
    Remember seeing it in your garage in 1992. Now that the hard work is done, any plans for using it?
    Thanks for the kind words Johnnie. And yes I will definitely be running it, in fact while it was on display at HD I saw a lot of my "bretheren" form the good old days that after a great chin wag with good ole Bob Homewood I made an instant decision to form a historic sports sedan class that Bob agreed would be a fantastic idea. I put pen to paper and off the top of my head came up with 30 existing cars. So I have already had talks with the Auckland car club outlining that I would like to do it the same way as I set up the production muscle car series to run at their 6 club meetings they have each season (1 day meets with 1 practice and 3 races probably all 6 lap handicap) starting in September thru to April,and they are quite exited and right behind it. So now I will organise a meeting of all interested competitors at the Auckland Car Club rooms possibly on the 20th of April (if they are free) and basically who ever turns up will be the people who form the rules.
    So all of a sudden there would be somewhere for the Custaxie 2 to race!! A starting point would be something like pre 1980 and cars to be as they were run, for instance I couldn't put a late model nascar engine, brakes,trans and wheels on the Siddy!!! Also allow replicas as long as they are true replicas, that sort of deal but of course those parameters are what the people who turn up to get this class going would determine. So there we are, all those people who I saw at HD who reminisced and said wouldn't it be great to do it again, nows your chance. So please tell as many people as you can and I will come back with a confirmation of that date and time. Cheers, George.
    Last edited by George Sheweiry; 04-05-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    George, I think your ownership and restoration of this car deserves its own thread. Just your purchasing of it and your days racing it will make for some fantastic stories. The huge amount of work you've done to restore it is definitely something a lot of people on here would love to see. As far as posting photos, please feel free to email me and I can resize and post any photos you want to include, and you can add the text if that works?
    Thanks for the support Steve, much appreciated, could you ph me sometime as I have a few things to discuss with you. Many thanks. George.

Hi George, great to see you here , Im a newy here as well , Im learning to steer around the pic thing as well , last time I was with you we parted in a cloud of oil & tyre smoke , was a fun day but not for the side oiler ............ Cheers mate keep up the good work .Grant