Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy Roadsters

Indy Roadsters

I was speaking to a fellow 'TRSer' this afternoon and suggested he would love to indulge himself in some quality You Tube time looking at highlights of the Indianapolis 500 during the Roadster period - as I had done over part of Easter.

I rather got the impression my friend wouldn't be interested in even the 2 to 3 minute highlight package, let alone the 15 - 20 minute versions I watched for all 12 Indy 500s where a Roadster led.

I cannot precisely explain what it is about these cars and the era that have captivated me so but there is no doubt part of the attraction is the personalities involved - drivers, team owners, mechanics, sponsors etc.

This is probably a thread that will sink without trace - but if you have a few moments, and are remotely interested - have a look at a highlight package. Pick a year between 1952 and 1964 and see if you can stop at just one after watching it...

There is a man in Rotorua building one ,that will bring back some fun again

There is a real one at Beachlands!

The one in Rotorua is real and from the USA,just needs a bit more work to make it fly

Interesting - I wonder what sort and what the history is.

I thought I'd sat in the only one in NZ!

World Champion
    I love the roadsters as well.. not sure if this one qualifies in the beauty stakes though

World Champion
    Jim, we have a new multi-million dollar velodrome being built here in Cambridge for the 6 cyclists that live in town!! I should think there will be plenty of time between training sessions that the Indy Roadster could be put through it's paces. Could be worth watching.

Remember the 'Belond Exhaust Spl'........and the STP turbine....some good names the Yanks thought up for these machines.

My favourite name was the Dean Van Lines Special. It wasn't until I made my first trip to the US that I found out that it was Dean Van Lines, and not Dean van Lines (as in a Dutchman!)

Does this count? The Monzanapolis Lister Jaguar? Taken at the Goodwood Revivival 2009

Name:  209_0918_329.JPG
Views: 1602
Size:  146.9 KB

Or from the 1996 Goodwood Festival of Speed

Name:  196_0621_023.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  156.5 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 04-05-2013 at 09:22 PM.

What about Norm Hall, ran in 1964 in a Watson which he entered as the "Nothing Special".

The Roadster era was doomed from the moment Jack Brabham took his Tasman spec Cooper to Indy in 1961, complete with 2.7 Climax making 280hp on a good day. The Yanks initially laughed at the car but after running 3rd at one point and finally finishing 9th, the laughing was a bit hollow.

Jim Clark and Lotus of course then went and did the job properly but it was Black Jack thinking outside the square who sowed the idea.

Absolutely right Howard - next month marks two significant roadster anniversaries - it is 60 years since the first roadster victory, and 50 years since Jim Clark seriously rattled the dinosuars with what they called 'his funny car'.

saw this at the speed show last year

Name:  IMG_7363.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  155.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7367.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  136.0 KB

Name:  IMG_7368.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  134.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7369.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  132.1 KB

Yes that is the car I sat in at Beachlands - it was the Bob Cortner car in which he was killed when freak gust of wind caught it during qualifying for the 1959 Indy 500.

I know it looks prehistoric alongside a Cooper or Lotus - but so do 250Fs, D50s and 246s, yet that doesn't diminish their appeal.

World Champion
    Did these Guys have seat-belts in those days? All the Roadsters seem to have a large padded piece in the middle of the steering wheel. Dont think it would do much good in the event of a crash.

The history of that car would make it a sad car. Don't think I could buy a car knowing that it had killed someone.
    Prehistoric they may have been, but don't they look the part with all the colours and sign-writing.

16 inch wheels Dale........LoL.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    I know it looks prehistoric alongside a Cooper or Lotus - but so do 250Fs, D50s and 246s, yet that doesn't diminish their appeal.
    I've always liked the look of these roadsters too. I can't imagine it'd be that easy getting hold of one in the States

Even the name "Offenhauser" engenders a bit of spirit! We sometimes used to listen to the live commentary on dad's short wave radio!

I can reccomend Smokey Junick's 3 books if you all are interested in this period of Indy racing. He states that if you let the steering wheel go when the engine was up to speed, you would be lucky to get a grip of it again, as the engine vibration made the rim grow to about 4 " in diamater! Those Offies were 4.2 litres and only 4 cylinders.

The first type of car to be dubbed 'Roadster' was built by Kurtis for Indy in 1952 - a Cummins Diesel powered version sat on pole but it was the Offy powered one of Bill Vukovich that dominated the race - but didn't win. That went to a converted dirt car - but from 1953 until Jim Clark and Lotus won in 1965, every Indy 500 was won by an Offenhauser powered Roadster.

Yes there were some great names - my favourite was probably the John Zink Track Burner Special. Zink's cars won in 1955 and 56 (Kurtis then the first for a Watson) - there were only a few basic Roadster designs but there were a many builders. A J Watson seemed to be quite happy for other builders to make copies of his designs.

In general terms, Roadsters were either 'uprights', or 'lay-downs'. The Epperley/Salih lay-down design turned up in '57 and the same car won again in '58 but that after that, the 'uprights' won from 59-64, although the lay-downs were still there or thereabouts.

Ray - as to whether the Monzapolis qualifies - that's not up to me to determine but man it is gorgeous.

For what it is worth, here are my top 10 Roadster conductors:

1. Bill Vukovich - won in '53 & '54 and killed during the '55 race. It was Vukie that coined the 'Roadster' nickname.
    2. Roger Ward - won in '59 & '62 in Leader Cards Watsons
    3. A J Foyt - won in '61 then took the final dinosaur win in '64 - in '61 the 'Bowes Seal Fast Special' was a Trevis chassis - but really a Watson.
    4. R P Jones - Rufus Parnell took to Indy like he was born to do it. Won in '63 ahead of Clark in controversial circumstances.
    5. Jim Rathmann - won arguably the best Indy 500 ever in 1960 in the 'Ken-Paul' - a story worthy of a film...
    6. Jim Bryan - winner in '58 - hard man who was a racer's racer
    7. Pat Flaherty - '56 winner
    8. Bob Sweikert - won in '55, 6th in '56 and then killed just when he might have been on the verge of greatness
    9. Sam Hanks - won in '57 in the 'lay-down' then announced his retirement in victory lane - it had been a long road
    10. ?

Rankings 1-9 comprise all the Roadster winners. So who was the best Roadster chaffeur never to win?

For me there are three immediate contenders - in no order:

Tony Bettenhausen, Eddie Sachs and Dick Rathmann. But ther eare others - HEAPS in fact...

Just love the shape and muscle look of these period cars.

Jim Hurtibise is another serious contender for the top 10

World Champion
    Pics ( mostly from 1959) photographers unknown
    Attached Images Attached Images