The first type of car to be dubbed 'Roadster' was built by Kurtis for Indy in 1952 - a Cummins Diesel powered version sat on pole but it was the Offy powered one of Bill Vukovich that dominated the race - but didn't win. That went to a converted dirt car - but from 1953 until Jim Clark and Lotus won in 1965, every Indy 500 was won by an Offenhauser powered Roadster.

Yes there were some great names - my favourite was probably the John Zink Track Burner Special. Zink's cars won in 1955 and 56 (Kurtis then the first for a Watson) - there were only a few basic Roadster designs but there were a many builders. A J Watson seemed to be quite happy for other builders to make copies of his designs.

In general terms, Roadsters were either 'uprights', or 'lay-downs'. The Epperley/Salih lay-down design turned up in '57 and the same car won again in '58 but that after that, the 'uprights' won from 59-64, although the lay-downs were still there or thereabouts.

Ray - as to whether the Monzapolis qualifies - that's not up to me to determine but man it is gorgeous.

For what it is worth, here are my top 10 Roadster conductors:

1. Bill Vukovich - won in '53 & '54 and killed during the '55 race. It was Vukie that coined the 'Roadster' nickname.
2. Roger Ward - won in '59 & '62 in Leader Cards Watsons
3. A J Foyt - won in '61 then took the final dinosaur win in '64 - in '61 the 'Bowes Seal Fast Special' was a Trevis chassis - but really a Watson.
4. R P Jones - Rufus Parnell took to Indy like he was born to do it. Won in '63 ahead of Clark in controversial circumstances.
5. Jim Rathmann - won arguably the best Indy 500 ever in 1960 in the 'Ken-Paul' - a story worthy of a film...
6. Jim Bryan - winner in '58 - hard man who was a racer's racer
7. Pat Flaherty - '56 winner
8. Bob Sweikert - won in '55, 6th in '56 and then killed just when he might have been on the verge of greatness
9. Sam Hanks - won in '57 in the 'lay-down' then announced his retirement in victory lane - it had been a long road
10. ?

Rankings 1-9 comprise all the Roadster winners. So who was the best Roadster chaffeur never to win?

For me there are three immediate contenders - in no order:

Tony Bettenhausen, Eddie Sachs and Dick Rathmann. But ther eare others - HEAPS in fact...