Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy Roadsters

World Champion
    More
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That's an interesting front row from '59 - #3 is the pole car of Johnny Thompson - a Lesovsky which was a 'left hand drive' Roadster.

In the middle is Eddie Sachs in a Kuzma - Kuzmas were always there or thereabouts but a Kuzma Roadster never won the 500.

On the outside is Jim Rathmann in an upright Watson - all three are Offy powered...in 1959 all 33 starters were , the only exception being that one was a supercharged 168 c.i. (in '55 and '60 every starter was a normally aspirated Offy)

The V8 Novis were the only real opposition but the best finish for one of these was 4th in '57.

The red #82 has got me stumped - any #82 Roadster I can find that started were blue and white/silver..

Semi-Pro Racer
    If its any help the #82 in post#21 would appear to have a Chev SB V8 in it, or at least a V8 with similar porting sequence- pairs of inlets & paired center exhausts.

#82 SanDiego Steel (AACA 127) Chenowth Chevy 1961 First 'production' chevy V8 to attempt to qualify for the Indy 500, I believe by Mike McGill
    Currently owned and shared with others by Dave Schleppi)

Thanks Bruce - no Chev powered Roadster ever qualified for the 500, but it sure is a beauty

World Champion
    Footage of the Chenowth Chevy here

Indeed the key word is attempt, and I believe it was trying over a 3 year period.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Thanks Bruce - no Chev powered Roadster ever qualified for the 500, but it sure is a beauty

Great thread Michael. These are some of the most beautiful cars ever to race. My personal favourites are the streamliners, even though they achieved very little success. This is the magnificent Sumar Special, which was also tried without its beautiful streamliner body.

Name:  1955 Sumar Special.jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  35.5 KB

Out of interest, when was the first time someone ran a mid-engined car at Indy? Much is made of the impact the Lotus 29 had there, and how the eventual success of Lotus ultimately brought about the end of the roadster, but Lotus first ran at Indy in 1963. Mickey Thompson entered three mid-engined cars for 1962, powered by 215ci Buick production car motors. But there must have been others before this?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Rounds Rocket in 1949? , mid engine & rear wheel drive, but in the modern era I think Brabham in a Cooper might have been first in 1961, 200 laps & 9th place. Having said that I have a nagging feeling that Ive read of a car with an offy before that.
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 04-09-2013 at 12:31 AM. Reason: clarify car make

World Champion
    Rounds Rocket. I also had a feeling that Harry Miller built a mid engine car in the late 30s. I'll have to do some digging.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice one Bry - that was 1949, and reasonably good looking. As compared with the 1939 Miller which got trashed in practice

Steve the Sumar Streamliner dates from '55 - that year the Belond Miracle Power Special streamliner made the cut - but sans the cockpit bubble.

As for mid engines - George Bailey made history in '39 when he qualified a Miller mid-engine - and what a simple piece of kit: supercharged and four wheel drive. It qualified 6th but was out after 47 laps.

George Barringer's Tucker Torpedo ran in '46, as did Paul Russo's Fageol Twin Coach Special - it had twin supercharged Offys - the front engine drove the rear wheeels and the rear engine drove the front. It qual'd second but was the first retirement.

Al Miller drove the Preston Tucker thing in '47 and after that, another rear/mid-engined car (because most front engined cars are also 'mid-engined'...I guess) didn't qualify until 1961 when Jack Brabham and the Cooper team arrived.

Semi-Pro Racer

Chevy V8s at 1961 Indy 500

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    #82 SanDiego Steel (AACA 127) Chenowth Chevy 1961 First 'production' chevy V8 to attempt to qualify for the Indy 500, I believe by Mike McGill
    Currently owned and shared with others by Dave Schleppi)
    There were two Chevy V8-engined entries at Indy in 1961, and as has been said, neither qualified.

Floyd Clymer's Yearbook said : "Mike Magill ..(didn't take the flag).. in the Chuck Chenowth Chevy, one of the two entered. They had been having a lot of trouble with the beautiful little car and even (with) the talents of Mickey Thompson in the last few days (of qualifying) they can't seem to get the oil problems solved."

Not sure if the Robert Peterson car ran, there is no indication of who the driver might have been.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Great thread Michael. These are some of the most beautiful cars ever to race. My personal favourites are the streamliners, even though they achieved very little success. This is the magnificent Sumar Special, which was also tried without its beautiful streamliner body.

Name:  1955 Sumar Special.jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  35.5 KB
    Looks like a Lister at the front! What year is the photo from?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    Looks like a Lister at the front! What year is the photo from?
    If you "hover" over the photo, it says 1955 Sumar Special. Car in background looks mid-50's. If it is 1955, it's a very nice body for the time.

Stu

Thanks Stu, very nice shape.
    Would be great if it is still around, enclosed cockpit etc!

Yup - '55. Underneath is a Kurtis with the inevitable Offy. The car was naked when it qualified 17th and came home 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    Looks like a Lister at the front!
    My first thought too! I am so glad I grew up in an era where both front and rear engines were the norm, even though the only rear engined ones initially were the 500cc cars.

Overall, I suppose I do prefer the look of the front engines cars, but I also have a soft spot for all the 1961-66 F1 1.5 litre cars.