Name:  no.5.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  69.8 KB

Christmas quiz

Who are they? Two points for him, 88 points for her
    What is it - specifically? Ten points

First to 100 - gentlemen, start your keyboards

Semi-Pro Racer
    Could it be Howden Ganley and Lynn St James with the AJ Foyt 1961 Indy winning Bowes Seal Fast Special

you're on 90!!

Well done that man

Semi-Pro Racer
    is it the 1960 Kurtis Roadster

Miller Bowes "Seal fast" Special

A.J. Foyt Bowes Seal Fast Kurtis / Offy 1960 Indianapolis 500 Carousel

The Bowes Seal Fast Special originally built by Frank Kurtis in 1959 as that designer's first 'laydown engine' design. Jud Larson drove the car at Indy in 1959, finishing 29th after becoming involved in Mike Magill's lap 45 crash.

For the 1960 season, Bignotti had Quin Epperly rework the car, designing new framework, front suspension and bodywork. This new Epperly/Kurtis was assigned to twenty-five year old A. J. Foyt. Foyt qualified 16th for the 1960 Indy 500, but went out of the race in 25th place with clutch failure.

Well done guys - why would anyone be surprised that on Christmas Eve, this was nailed in a matter of hours.

I would have got 12 points at best - the fact that GeeBee got Lyn St James is astonishingly good spotting.

The photo was taken a matter of a day or so ago at some Christmas function in the San Francisco 'bay area'.

Today is in fact Howden's 72nd birthday - he'll be here for the Ferrari Festival...and I suspect return the 2015 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Well done guys - why would anyone be surprised that on Christmas Eve, this was nailed in a matter of hours.

I would have got 12 points at best - the fact that GeeBee got Lyn St James is astonishingly good spotting.

The photo was taken a matter of a day or so ago at some Christmas function in the San Francisco 'bay area'.

Today is in fact Howden's 72nd birthday - he'll be here for the Ferrari Festival...and I suspect return the 2015 version.

As you say Michael, they nailed that quick, GeeBee in my quiz team.
    aren't they neat looking cars, and seems there are a lot still around.
    Amazing Howden is 72 gee times going by, he still looks like he could pull on the driver suit and go and play.

I'll pass it on Rod...

As I said in the opening post on this thread, there is something about these things...the owners were mostly nutjobs, the cars themselves were insane and the drivers - hell they must have been certifiable. Add to that the zany colour schemes and the dinosaur nature of the them, it was wacky racers in real life!

yep great cars and great engines 4 cylinders in a properly designed engine. even the later turbo ones retained the same basic design.
    you have to love them

I'll pass it on Rod...

As I said in the opening post on this thread, there is something about these things...the owners were mostly nutjobs, the cars themselves were insane and the drivers - hell they must have been certifiable. Add to that the zany colour schemes and the dinosaur nature of the them, it was wacky racers in real life!

yep they are in a world of their own, and as you say about drivers being 'Certifiable' that surely would be bonus.

Sorry to say that A J Watson has passed away - 4 days after his 90th birthday.

I wonder what sort of tribute they will have at the 500 in a few weeks time.

World Champion
    I was recently in the Los Angeles area and was reminded that during the 1950s that 80 % of the Indy roadsters were built by five car builders all within a 25 mile radius of each other and in 1958 the complete Indy 500 field of 33 cars was built by these five southern California chassis builders ; Quin Epperly, Frank Kurtis, Eddie Kuzma, Lujie Lesvosky and A.J. Watson.
    These magnificent machines were built in the most modest buildings and some of these structures can still be seen today.
    A.J. Watson's shop in Glendale.
    Name:  AJ Watson's building.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  87.3 KB

Quin Epperly Racing Shop in Gardena. Ca.
    Name:  Quin Epperly building.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  73.2 KB

Frank Kurtis's Kurtis Kraft building back in the day also in Glendale. Ca.
    Name:  Kurtis Kraft building.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  115.3 KB

Name:  Indy Roadsters...jpg
Views: 759
Size:  121.5 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photo. Laguna Seca 2007 )
    That they produced cars like this from such humble workshops just amazes me and I think the only testing would be is when they arrived at Indianapolis a few weeks before the event. No computers or wind tunnels or much in safety equipment back then.

I think that instead of tours to see the homes of film stars in Hollywood they should have tours to see these old race shops plus Traco and Shelby etc. locations. Much more interesting in my opinion !

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-27-2017 at 12:54 AM.

World Champion
    I forgot to name these roadsters.
    Name:  Indy Roadsters...jpg
Views: 756
Size:  120.2 KB
    # 76 is a 1962 Watson. " Weinberger Homes Special".

# 35 is a 1948 Kurtis Indy Champ Car.

# 27 is a 1952 Stevens Indy Champ Car.

# 2 is a 1959 Watson Champ Car.

Next # 2 is a 1964 Watson Indy rear engine car.

The far car is # 17 a 1961 Sines Champ Car" Bell Lines Trucking" Special.

This 2007 collection of Indy roadsters was from the Tom Malloy Collection.

https://arch.smugmug.com/Cars/Tom-Malloy-Collection/

( Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-27-2017 at 07:27 AM.

World Champion
    You are quite right (again) Stu - 1966 #39 maroon and black - (I didn't look late enough)

In 1968 the Mallard - aka 'The Pepsi-Frito Lay Special' was the last Roadster to qualify.

The last Roadster to finish looks like 1965 and Gordie Johncock in the 'Weinberger Homes Special' Watson. He was 5th.

Of Mark's photos, #43 has me stumped.
    Michael,
    You probably have the correct answer now after 4 years and Stu was close. But I liked this photo to show car # 43.
    A 1957 Curtis "Roy Brady Special " at the Laguna Seca "Corkscrew" corner. 2010.
    Name:  vintage-monterey-historics-2007-raymond-boissoneau-1957-curtis-roy-brady.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  164.3 KB

(Ken H)

This link is a few years ahead of what is going on but it is fun!

http://home.earthlink.net/~roygmisc1...tartoffy1.html

World Champion
    Last Sunday one of the most innovative builders of Indy cars, Rolla Vollstedt, passed away at the grand age of 99.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/1...ead-at-age-99/

The Vollstedt Indy cars were well built as seen in this 1965 model which was a close copy of Colin Chapman's Lotus Indy car.
    Name:  Vollstedt65-2016-A-400x277.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  114.9 KB

(Ken H )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-27-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Car 39 doesn't look like the 1960 entry - here is the Ridgewood Builders Special (from the Floyd Clymer 1960 Year Book)

Car 39 in colour picture has turbocharger - were they used as early as 1960? And colour scheme very different.

Car 56 is indeed the "Travelon Trailer Special" in which Jim Hurtubise set the then record fastest 4-lap qualifying time 2.5 mph or 4 seconds faster than Eddie Sachs' pole position time, but Eddie's was on the first qualifying day and Jim's on the last so he was 23rd on grid.

Not sure about the colour of the #56 car - reports at the time talk of "that purple car" and B/W photos show an off-white main colour. Perhaps an irridescent pale purple and deeper colour on the details.

Note no air jacks, but several cars had them in 1961 including the Cooper.

Stu
    It is indeed the correct colours and one of the most beautiful of all the roadsters.