Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess the driver of this Jag

Guess the driver of this Jag

Ive been doing a commission for a local chap who used to race this Jag years ago.
    Just thought it might be a good subject for digging up some old memories.
    So can anyone guess his name?

I even have a video of the Lyttelton street race with him in it. He also raced a red E-Type and a red XJS I believe...

Sorry about the snap, got a bit of glare on the front.

Still got the inside to do and some sort of simple background. So far this is all coloured pencil work and has taken about 2 weeks of evenings..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice work - but I haven't a clue. Well outside of my very limited NZ knowledge field!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    E Spraque
    Hi Jum,
    You sure it was'nt Ivy?

Hi Jim , No , but when I first saw it I thought so or Peters Jag [pumpkins ], Ernie , sold his mk 2.... 3.8 , years before that street race, this car has mags , ?? Ernie never had a 60 number ? Mind you there was only about two that came from racing history in the earlier days in red from S I the other was Peter peter pumkin eaters , & he only raced that once at levels & backwards & forwards to Chch lol if my memory serves me right . PS JIM" Hows Shorty & Marty getting along I see they use the old number 5 from the day Shorty puchased the Anglia???. Hey Russ nice to see you here are you still living in Tga if pop in some time ............... Kind Regards Grant

Hi Grant ,the No5 goes back to 1983 to 88 when that tall chap decided he would like it , .Must catch up ,perhaps when Geofs new home finished ,could be quite a party overlooking the lake,real proud of Martin, up Leadfoote in 54.5 ,funny how it skips a generation!!!

Dont think they be mags ,has a spinner nut???

Yea but looks like a solid wheel?? Also remember Ernie & Ray raced with wire wheels in the S I , as for wills 6 hrs they might have had steel wheels for wheel changes , hey remember when Marty was very small , geof sent him to our table at cobb & co Taupo& asked me for a $1.00 was a lot of fun I had to give geof the odd talking too lol . Yes I am proud of marty also he has come a long way in a SHORT time lol. Hope he can keep the momentum going , meeting the right people & having good people around him will be the key now ??? Where is Geof building is he still in Hamilton its been a while between drinks .........

Yes you had me remembering his birthday{5} at Puke with all the pre 65 gang, have it on tape ,.Geoffs new place two rows back from the lakeside .looks over to the Hosp.up to the roof truse stage. prob be july aug.Stay in touch will need a large crowd to fill it at its opening

Yep will do , we go back a few , sounds like a go , shall i bring Alby ? , we leave girls at home lol . ps Alby now on his pat maloon , got a new one now , all good , he is a good buggar

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Hi Jim , No , but when I first saw it I thought so or Peters Jag [pumpkins ], Ernie , sold his mk 2.... 3.8 , years before that street race, this car has mags , ?? Ernie never had a 60 number ? Mind you there was only about two that came from racing history in the earlier days in red from S I the other was Peter peter pumkin eaters , & he only raced that once at levels & backwards & forwards to Chch lol if my memory serves me right . PS JIM" Hows Shorty & Marty getting along I see they use the old number 5 from the day Shorty puchased the Anglia???. Hey Russ nice to see you here are you still living in Tga if pop in some time ............... Kind Regards Grant
    One of these days. Tell the girls to watch out for the Cunningham boys. Actually they're are nothing like their dad. Thank goodness.

Yea Mate I have A K 47 , just waiting . I have that remark like yours from mates ......... I keep strong look out ........ I built a tower with guns , I said to my girls just watch those little buggers as DAD WAS [not now] one of them lol

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Yep will do , we go back a few , sounds like a go , shall i bring Alby ? , we leave girls at home lol . ps Alby now on his pat maloon , got a new one now , all good , he is a good buggar
    No bring girls, Alby what hapen ?? a real good buggar ,perhaps I tell Geoff about it two

Semi-Pro Racer
    Good to read the INFAMOUS South Canterbury code talk is alive & kicking, KP JR ZB FJ KM PM & others would be making furtive trips to the loo to try & write it all down & decipher later....

Hi Jac Mac,I take it you knew [know] the inner circle , all those guys from a deep south were so much fun , so many adventures etc , know doubt you know Tony Reardon [spelling] works for Hendrick N.C usa . I ended up getting a ZO6 through tony so the old group still works , How is Pat .M gee him and Ernie did some car deals , remember the pacer & GTHO deal .Good to catch up mate

Alby & Pam went their own ways still talking [ps this is common knowledge no goss]& friends makes it easier, they grew apart thats all I can say here , Alby ended up staying at car yard flat up stairs for about a year , & has moved in with a lady not for from here Cameron Road

Life can be strange ,happy sad all with no control, .you two really started pre 65 in those Anglias,wish Geoff had kept it,150+ bhp

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Life can be strange ,happy sad all with no control, .you two really started pre 65 in those Anglias,wish Geoff had kept it,150+ bhp
    Jim , the [ex Grant Taylor] car just sold last weekend its a quick little car all sorted , had I known it was for sale I probably would have bought it went cheap all the good bits I would say 1/10,s puke..... But would be hard to go back there after the years in the mustang, girls are growing up now & im getting itchy feet lol. Only way to do it is do it right again , & that takes a lot of effort & $$$ as we get older ...... might be best I keep the money in the ole oak chest ...

World Champion
    Are we still supposed to be guessing the driver of this Jag, or are we on to reunions now?????
    Now I think Jim knows his Jags, and and he guessed......E. Sprague........... G. Sprague says no......and that is as far as it got!!!!!!!
    The number plate should tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Are we still supposed to be guessing the driver of this Jag, or are we on to reunions now?????
    Now I think Jim knows his Jags, and and he guessed......E. Sprague........... G. Sprague says no......and that is as far as it got!!!!!!!
    The number plate should tell us.
    Amco dont be such an old women ,theres plenty on here now ,I have never claimed to know my Jags,I was married in 62 and the last race I saw was in the wet at Ardmore I had no car for two years ,meaning when the Jags were running sadly I missed them ,.Now Mike Houragan raced a red E and a xjs but that was green when I saw it,he was a man of class as well Jaguars were his favorites as well,now with all the cars you had are you sure you did not have a red Mk 2??