Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guess the driver of this Jag

I checked plate , a while ago , came back no history on car jam ...................unless I read numbers wrong

World Champion
    Jim, I think I can say without fear of contradiction that I have NEVER had a red car, MK 2 or otherwise. You see, RED cars to me are Ferraris, which you also know a bit about, and I have NEVER desired a Ferrari. Listening to that one going up the Leadfoot hill-climb it sounded, or should I say reminded me, of a two-stroke, 6 cylinder, Mercury outboard motor from 1965 !!!!!!!!

And credit where it is due........don't be modest, you DO know your Jags, whether you saw them racing or not.
    If the car being depicted by Faminz has got knock-on Minilites, which it looks to have......doesn't that say Bert Govan.

Grant, don't think you could mistake the number plate unless your eyes are a bit like mine, but I make it....DP2632
    Why would Faminz change that just for the hell of it to throw us all off the scent?

World Champion
    After writing that I was thinking about the Mercury out board motor. I am sure it was a 6 cylinder 2 stroke, and not a 3 cylinder 2 stroke. Did enough water-skiing behind one to get the sound firmly imprinted in my head. And it certainly wasn't a 4 stroke.
    I remember the line of vertical spark-plugs when we took the engine cover off to clean the salt deposits off it after ski ing in the Lyttelton harbour.
    Last edited by AMCO72; 04-08-2013 at 04:31 AM. Reason: add

No not Berts car wrong racing number and number plate. How about one of the Wyness bros? I seem to recall doing a red Mk2 for one of them many years ago.

Amco I agree the Ferrari and Maserati did not sound all that good getting to high tec perhaps,its a sad day when a 6 cyl. Holden sounds better,have disscused Govans cae but ???

World Champion
    Well theres a couple of knowledgable chaps on jags in NZ........D.S. & J.S. Perhaps Faminz can put us all out of our misery!

DID LOOK UP THE NUMBER PLATE ON CAR JAM YESTERDAY [HEY MIGHT HAVE GOT THE NUMBER WRONG?] AS NOT THAT CLEAR, IT CAME BACK AS NO HISTORY ///////////////////????????????

If the car is no longer registered Carjam has no info.

Barry Longmore raced a 3.8 at Queenstown, Lyttelton and Dunedin in about 1988/89 - steel wheels and standard. It may have been a dark blue?
    G. Corbet Christchurch & E. MacDonald Mosgiel had red 3.8's at Wigram Wings & Wheels 1985.
    From old programmes.

Did E Spraque have two red Mk 2s one with black trim and one with tan???

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Did E Spraque have two red Mk 2s one with black trim and one with tan???
    No Jim but did have two , a red 3.8 as you probably know tan trim this one he did production races in SI & did the Wills once or twice , the 2nd one was bought in UK whilst him & Molly did an other UK trip he brought back a black 3.8 mk 2 & did a complete colour change to white.......

Gee I go away for a day or so and there's 30 replies!!!
    Dave silcock got it.. This is the Mk II of Peter wyness.
    He works in petone and has a common interest in collecting model cars ( although Peter goes for the top end CMC stuff)
    I hope he likes the drawing.

Ps: might be doing an amco mini soon! After a 59 Oldsmobile commission! Lol
    Last edited by faminz; 04-09-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks Faminz , that was a bit of fun & Hi to Dave [Silcock]. Dave I never meet you I was just a wee boy at those Wigram week ends but well remember your beautiful Jag with vented bonnet .......... etc