Thread: NEW CLASS / SERIES; Historic Sports Sedans. formation meeting.20/04/13 ACC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Correct John, a 'man' from Christchurch has bought it, but it has been entrusted to Angus for the restoration.

Are you suggesting that the bodywork shouldn't be floppy because it has not done much racing? You should know that the number of racing miles a car has, or has not done, does not equate to a perfect body.......ie very little racing equals a perfect body!!!!!!! My own experience at HD bears that out.......I had 'raced' for less than 200 meters, and I ended up with a car with less than a perfect body!
    Am I making myself clear here???

Also I think the roll-frame [theres that word again] was very under engineered and needed bringing up to new specifications. Maybe it got away with it in the old days, and we don't need to go into that argument again after being exhaustively 'discussed' in another thread.

World Champion
    My God, the arguments are starting already and the new class hasn't even got off the ground........

When is a Muscle Car NOT a Muscle Car ?
    When is a Sports Sedan NOT a Sports Sedan ?

Is the thinking here that if a car competed in a sports sedan class 30 years ago, then it IS a sports sedan.
    Sounds as though defining exactly WHAT a sports sedan is, is going to be harder than defining what a Muscle car is!

And Jim you bring up an interesting point........30 years on these drivers are obviously 30 years older......and slower......and stiffer, in all the wrong parts! Are they going to be up to the job of piloting these wild and woolly machines? And don't tell me they are just going to do demo laps behind a safety car!!.......Yeh right.

Also Jim, you must have had to sell a lot of mowers and cycles to pay for your share in the Porsche........unless of course your shop markup was exorbitant!!!!!

Amco without knowing ,I would bet the Mini cost a lot more than I paid, I mean 5 owners into one car and I know you find it strange but I enjoyed every lap ,first out last in for practise regardless as to where I finished in the race,even on my own ,the exhaust sound at 8000 ,not seen that often would make your hair stand up on end ,only 2.8 twin plug, webers 260 BHP no match for the V8s but off the line and under brakes just leave them for dead at BP,only once in five years did it get 4 new tyres at the same time,mrs brown now

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Correct John, a 'man' from Christchurch has bought it, but it has been entrusted to Angus for the restoration.

Are you suggesting that the bodywork shouldn't be floppy because it has not done much racing? You should know that the number of racing miles a car has, or has not done, does not equate to a perfect body.......ie very little racing equals a perfect body!!!!!!! My own experience at HD bears that out.......I had 'raced' for less than 200 meters, and I ended up with a car with less than a perfect body!
    Am I making myself clear here???

Also I think the roll-frame [theres that word again] was very under engineered and needed bringing up to new specifications. Maybe it got away with it in the old days, and we don't need to go into that argument again after being exhaustively 'discussed' in another thread.
    Gerald- just putting up some info on Jags, didnt think something that simple would push your buttons.

World Champion
    I think half the trouble with the XJS is that it probably hasn't been stripped down as far as it is now since it was built. When everything was out of it, you could actually lift the front of the body several centimeters without the body from the screen backwards moving!!!!
    Superficially the car looked ok but it was infact seriously fragile.

The roll frame that is in it now ties everything together very nicely.

So am I right in saying that this new class is for cars that actually raced as sports sedans during the time frame suggested? In other words I cant build a new one to the specifications and join the group as I can in HMC.
    Last edited by AMCO72; 04-11-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: change

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    So am I right in saying that this new class is for cars that actually raced as sports sedans during the time frame suggested? In other words I cant build a new one to the specifications and join the group as I can in HMC.
    I think there are a few older 'club' cars that could be built into 'period' Sports Sedans and why not? All you would need is a process whereby an owner would notify their intentions on how they would modify the car and the committee could let them know if the car would be eligible in that form. I reckon that with a few sensible rules that don't allow 'new'-builds to overshadow the cars we're trying to coax out of retirement, this could be a hugely successful class.