Thread: NEW CLASS / SERIES; Historic Sports Sedans. formation meeting.20/04/13 ACC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    What are you saying Jim.....that a Mini MIGHT beat a Sports Sedan, and if so you would only like to see them running around in the lunch break.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    What are you saying Jim.....that a Mini MIGHT beat a Sports Sedan, and if so you would only like to see them running around in the lunch break.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Amco you know there is nothing beter than enjoying a good meal ,and to be able to see and hear all those Minis buzzing around at the same time,as to the speed of the Mini ,cant say I know but Roger Freeth worked out at 8000Rpm in 5th was 168 mph,,dont think I would enjoy that speed in a Mini then again perhaps I would

Would the restored ex Art McKee IMSA Monza be OK for this Series in 1977 spec?

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemonza View Post
    NO.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    NO.
    It is the genuine car?

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemonza View Post
    Yes I would have thought so Rowan, based on the list George posted. Your car should almost certainly be accepted. By the way, how are you progressing with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Yes I would have thought so Rowan, based on the list George posted. Your car should almost certainly be accepted. By the way, how are you progressing with it?
    Yes i have looked at the list George put up ,cars like Graham Barnes capri chev are the ones to run in this new class,but this list says you can run any bag of bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    Yes i have looked at the list George put up ,cars like Graham Barnes capri chev are the ones to run in this new class,but this list says you can run any bag of bolts.
    OK, before you start insulting people, calling their cars a "bag of bolts", try doing your homework first. The car aussiemonza is referring to is the Grant King Chevy Monza built in the US to race in IMSA. It competed alongside the early DeKon Monza's, including DeKon 1001, which was eventually purchased by Red Dawson and shipped to New Zealand. The King Monza was purchased in 1976 by reigning Castrol GTX champion Art McKee to race in the 1977 New Zealand Saloon Car Championship.

It raced alongside the Sidchrome Mustang, Nazer Victor, Bill Leckie Capri, Dawson Monza, PDL Mustang II etc, and is an important piece of NZ motorsport history.

McKee sold the car following the 1977 season to an Australian buyer, and it raced in Australian Sports Sedan events for the next 20 - 25 years, before being purchased by Rowan (aussiemonza) who has been in the process of restoring it back to its Art McKee guise as it raced in NZ. Its a significant car with great Sports Sedan history. Nuff said.

Name:  mckee1.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  164.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    OK, before you start insulting people, calling their cars a "bag of bolts", try doing your homework first. The car aussiemonza is referring to is the Grant King Chevy Monza built in the US to race in IMSA. It competed alongside the early DeKon Monza's, including DeKon 1001, which was eventually purchased by Red Dawson and shipped to New Zealand. The King Monza was purchased in 1976 by reigning Castrol GTX champion Art McKee to race in the 1977 New Zealand Saloon Car Championship.

It raced alongside the Sidchrome Mustang, Nazer Victor, Bill Leckie Capri, Dawson Monza, PDL Mustang II etc, and is an important piece of NZ motorsport history.

McKee sold the car following the 1977 season to an Australian buyer, and it raced in Australian Sports Sedan events for the next 20 - 25 years, before being purchased by Rowan (aussiemonza) who has been in the process of restoring it back to its Art McKee guise as it raced in NZ. Its a significant car with great Sports Sedan history. Nuff said.

Name:  mckee1.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  164.4 KB
    Im not insulting people at all Steve,calling their cars a bag of bolts its just a saying i think most would know that.over the years a lot of drivers have said this to me about their cars.I dont think anyone on here is going to get to upset about it.Look at it this way 45 years ago thats all some had, and put their bag of bolts together to make a race car.