Quote Originally Posted by George Sheweiry View Post
Hi Steve, I was racing my ex Fancevic ho back then, I was 20 at the time when I saw the old girl at Geoff Sutherlands paint shop. He pointed me towards Jerry Claytons and the next thing you know I was the proud owner. I am an electrician by trade and the appliance repair guy where I worked at Rankin McManus Electrical opposite Charlie Coways Chequred flag cars on Dominion rd had just bought a Beazley section in Glendene for $3,500. and had a Beazley house built on it for $15,000 and I managed to scrape together $9,500 for the mustang. so it was 1/2 a house back then, but I was wrapped but the neighbors were'nt, as I did like to do the odd "street meet" then! Unlike most clever people I have kept pretty much all my old race cars but now I am 57 and 28 race and muscle cars is probably a bit over the top so i am probably going to have to move a few on. And there in lies the dilemma. "which ones"
You will figure it out. The price i was told for the mustang and trailer was more than you paid. I did pay $11,000 for the pacific however. You are right, that was a lot back then. I do have a 69 Fastback (sportsroof) in my garage, and have had it for years. Since you have the one I really wanted, it is better than nothing!
Actually there is a really neat story to the one I have. Short version is it has a compliance plate by Ford Australia, and another build tag with EX AUSTRALIA stamped on it.
The story goes, and I have checked this story with the original owner and mustang club officials as follows. The original owner travelled to the States to buy a 69 sportsroof. He went to the Ford factory and was shown around, however told that they had switched to the 1970 production line. The owner said he did NOT want a 70 but one with the 4 headlamps (1969). They said sorry..........While he was in the factory he saw a 69 shell in the corner of some room. He said what is that car, and was told it had been taken off the assembly line as it has a defect in the build. He said put it back on the line and I will pay $1,000 over list for it. They did, and he did.
It was put back on the line and came off the line with some 1970 parts on it, which it still has to this day. This story has remained consistent in mustang club circles since the car arrived in Australia. The defect is in the welding of the roof left hand side gutter rail. It is funny when you over hear mustang gurus say that so in so parts should not be on this car. If only they knew the story.
So, I have possibility the only 69 Mustang in the world that left the factory amongst the 1970 cars! That makes it extremely valuable George, however you cannot have it as I have bequeathed it to my daughter Krystal. Pitty, as if you gave me $xxxx plus the Sidchrome car I may have considered it. - Ha Ha!