Thread: NEW CLASS / SERIES; Historic Sports Sedans. formation meeting.20/04/13 ACC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi guys, Well it is Monday and we have had our first meeting of the series. I have to say I am very humbled by all the guys who promised they would be there who turned up and made an absolutely wonderful days racing for one of the largest and most convivial crowds I have ever seen at a club meeting in over 40 years of competing at them. The atmosphere at the track was absolutely awesome with more people than I can remember coming up and congratulating and wishing us well it was just all very humbling and such a neat thing to be part of. My condolences to Glenn Gordon and Graeme Addis who both put on the mammoth effort to get there but missed and thanks to Craig Stacey who brought out the Fahey Fastback Anglia to be on display, I don't know what happened to Gordon Burrs car that was going to be on display but then I didn't get to go everywhere. There was plenty of other good V8 action in the form of Production Muscle Cars, Northern Muscle Cars and Modified Saloons and the weather which the day before had looked so ominous turned out to be fine all day. A big thank you to my cousin Peter Benbrook who ran the yellow XE falcon for me and to Mike Dias who ran the "JPS" Mustang along with all the work he did to prep it, paint it and all the promotional work he undertook and badgered the ACC into that made for such a fantastic event. To all the people who helped or supported and spread the word thank you very much, "because it worked". As for myself, for the first time in 28 years I got to do practice in the old girl and although on a new track boy did that take me back! but on return to the pits we found the left rear wheel and wheel well awash with oil and even after a clean could not find where it was coming from, possibly the full floater hub. With having my son and daughters race cars as well and everything else that was going on I was just too busy to be able to look at it. A request to just do a few quiet laps at lunchtime fell on deaf ears so it was left on display for the rest of the day. So now in 5 weeks time for the 6th of October we have round 2 of the Historic Sports Sedan Series and if we get all the people who said I wont be there for the first meeting but will be there for the next then the field will be double the 14 cars which will give us around 25 to 28 cars. so come on guys, I gave you my word that I would get you a stand alone series, and that has now been done, remember its use it or loose it and we shouldn't loose the momentum with the spectators that has been started!!

Weekend Warrior
    22 Covil Avenue, Te Atatu South, Auckland
    Hi George
    That was an excellent start to your season and a lot of hard work on your and your teams part to be there for our Auckland Car Club opening round at Hampton Downs. The "siddy" sounded awesome and you should be proud of the achievement.
    I have had nothing but good reports about the whole day (with the exception of HD only supplying one food caravan??) and we apologize about not being able to get the car around at lunchtime for some parade laps. I did try for you but met with some resistance in the office as it wasn't permissible with permit that we had from MSNZ and the fact that you had oil issues...you know what it's like to get stuff past them. Great to have George Jnr and Brittany back at the track and well done to Jnr for winning the Ian Bean memorial trophy - his car was impressive all day!!
    Keep up the good work and please let me know if we can be of assistance in any way and on behalf of the Auckland Car Club many thanks for your efforts and keep up the good work!!